Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My AleRobert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Hellhound is a super-hoppy ale that hits 100 IBUs in the brewhouse and 10% ABV. It's dry-hopped with 100% Centennial hops at a rate of 100 kilos per 100 barrel brew-length. Can you tell we're stoked for this mighty musical centennial?

To accentuate and magnify the citrusy notes of the Centennial hops (and as a shoutout to Robert Johnson's mentor Blind Lemon Jefferson), we add dried lemon peel and flesh to the whirlpool.

(Beer added by: jsanford on 03-15-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale Alström Bros
3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

Ahh, the newest of the DFH things. A beer that actually sounds interesting. Double IPA with lemons? Could be an outstanding brew. At least it's an outstanding idea.
Murky orange with chunks of sediment floating about the glass. Decent head, sticky up on it.
First impression of aroma is of caramel malt, followed by some grapefruit and lemon flavored pine-sol. Not in a bad way either.
Taste is sort of like a 90 minute to start, malt forward, balanced bitterness, with pine and citrus hops coming on at the end, followed by a very odd, slight, but carrying lemon acidity. Not a well-matched final mouthfeel to what the hops start with on the finish.
I feel like this beer could definitely work: I've had my partner's homebrewed double IPA brewed with grapefruit that was outstanding and my buddy's golden ale fermented with lemons that was exceptionally drinkable on a summer day, but this lies unbalanced somewhere along the way towards a successful homebrew experiment. Stay the course, though..I know you will.

dragonWhale, May 05, 2011

750ml bottle poured into a snifter.

Hazy orange-ish body with a decent head. Incredibly citrusy smell with lemons taking precedence over oranges. Even more citrus in the taste. Hops are more for flavor than for bitterness. Also a noticeable almost chocolately malt sweetness. Medium-bodied mouthfeel, but not much hop stickiness at all. I'm not quite sure what to make of this. It drinks more like a summer fresher than an IPA, but it's far too big for that. I'm intrigued enough to want to try it again to see if I can make more sense out of it. That's a good thing, I guess.

BarrelO, May 04, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Solid appearance - not a big thick crown, and I'm not really getting too much lacing in a clean glass. Nevertheless, I see that slightly hazed DIPA gold - the beer has pretty good clarity, maybe just on the hazier side of clear.

My first instinct when sniffing is that it's an ordinary DIPA. I wasn't getting the lemon, but as it warms, I get more of the lemon rind aroma I was expecting along with a little cornsilk.

I think the bitterness with this one sneaks up on you. At first I thought there wasn't much, but it's building on my palate - mostly citrus-y hop bitterness with the actual lemon coming in more as an accent than as any dominant flavor. I don't get a great deal of malt backing here, which is surprising for Dogfish Head. Mouthfeel is surprisingly thin, not as resinous as DIPAs often can be. This actually makes the beer better for warm weather drinking than it otherwise would be, but I think I prefer my DIPAs to be more sticky. 10% alcohol is not as much of a factor as I thought it would be, which is good, though I think I'd still prefer to see this clock in at 8-9%.

Patrick999, May 04, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -15.3%

This review is based off the bottle consumed last night, straight from the brewery in DE. Split between myself, Nick, Brian and Gary at Craft Ale House. I was fortunate enough to have this on-tap this past weekend as well at the Rehoboth Beach pub, though my sinuses really screwed up my perception of flavors.

A: Golden body, bordering on a medium copper, fluffy white head that brings a rather impressive amount of sticky lacing around the glass. Slow dissipation and excellent retention - a really great looking IIPA.

S: Citrus hop notes - orange, white grapefruit - traditionally West Coast seemingly in style, a nice departure for DFH. Some dried lemon peel/zest and candy orange slices. No real bitterness in the nose at all and no grassy/piney hops, either. Weak malt base, almost one-dimensional here.

T: For being 10% and "100" IBUs, it drinks easy - no alcohol burn whatsoever - and the bitterness is definitely here. Unfortunately, that is the main focus of this beer - bitter. Some pineapple and more grapefruit come through, but the lemon is rather understated in the taste. For being advertised in print on the front of the label, lemon is the last thing I notice (if at all).

M: A little thin, though the lower carbonation gives it a nice medium body, nothing special. It's lacking that "creaminess" I look for in big IIPA's.

ShanePB, May 04, 2011
3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

Out of 750 in to an imperial pint.

A - Golden in color, leaning slightly to amber or copper. Leaves a creamy and dense off-white head. Moderate lacing, all and all a good looking beer.

S- Not as intense as I would have expected from the description on the bottle. The lemon is subtle, and the hops aren't as direct as anticipated either. Earthy notes with citrus undertones. Not what I was expecting, but not off-putting at all.

T- Much like the smell, not at all what I was expecting. I was surprised by the sweetness. Not that I would go so far as to say it is cloying by any imagination it just isn't what I think most would expect of a DIPA in these times. As with the smell, I am surprised by the subtlety of the lemon. It is there certainly, adding it nuance, particularly on the finish. I would also say it is more pithy that zesty. This isn't a complaint on my part, I don't mind a pithy citrus taste for bitterness. A bit boozy at the front, but not overwhelming. The lemon opens up a bit more as it warms up. Some pine and resin find there way in there, but are overtaken quickly by the lemon, sweet malt and heat.

M - Nice in the mouth. It has what I am looking for in this area. A level of creaminess without an overabundance of oil slick on the tongue. I would call it medium to heavy in body but it doesn't sit that way. That is to say it feels full in the mouth, but it has a level of effervescence that lightens the load.

O - Overall a solid effort. Certainly worth a try, I probably wouldn't revisit it but I can see a lot to enjoy here.

Squatchito, May 04, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

pours a golden copper with a huge, fluffy off-white head that leaves tons (and i mean tons) of lacing on the glass as it slowly recedes and settles at two-fingers in height of densely packed foam.

hops strike the nose first with a plethora of citrus scents. grapefruit, lemon, lemon zest, bitter orange, blood orange, lime peel, some tropical fruits, and a bit spicy with fresh cracked pepper and backed up by a slight caramel malt aroma.

flavor starts a bit sweet, brings in some pepper, and finishes a touch astringent. after a few sips, lemon zest and tart citrus come through, but not as much as in the aroma, nor as much as I think they were going for.

medium bodied with an abundance of prickly carbonation and a bitter aftertaste with a slight alcohol heat.

Overall, its pretty good. Not my favorite DIPA, but it is definitely unique, while still holding that Dogfish profile found in their other hoppy beers. very good, but not one I'd visit again at $12.49.

silentjay, May 04, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

A-Pours a hazy, burnt orange color wit three fingers of thick, dense, tan head.

S-I'm getting some lemon with grapefruit and some orange with a nice hit of sweet pineapple.

T-Tart and bitter upfront with orange and lemon and finishes with a piny, lemon finish with a hint of pineapple.

M-Pretty creamy feel with a little bit of stickiness and medium carbonation.

D-A very drinkable ale, but I could see the lemon being a little too tart for some. This is a fine beer, but I'm not sure the price point is justified on this one.

samie85, May 04, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -9.7%

Picked up a bottle today to mark the start of finals. 750 ml bottle poured into a DFH signature snifter...

A - Poured a deep caramel-amber color. A nice eggshell white head forms about 2.5 fingers thicl. leaves some nice lacing along the glass.

S - Lemons eh? For something touted as lemon forward, I disagree. They are there, but more rind and zest and very subdued when compared to the hop and malt bill. Dry hop scent comes forward slong with some pine and slight citrus scent. There is a breadiness on the nose that I will attribute to the malts there.

T - Sweet biscuity, bready malts up front followed by a sizeable hop hit along with a bit of alcohol. There is a nice grapefuit and lemony taste towards the end of the profile. Quite bitter aftertaste with the lemons lingering a bit.

M - Medium bodied and almost pretty sticky and resinous; but it is restrained somewhat. Moderate carbonation keeps this one in check so it doesn't feel as heavy.

O - I seriously wanted to LOVE this beer as DFH is my favorite brewery and Robert Johnson is my favorite blues musician of all time. But, I did't love it like I wanted. It is still a very solid DIPA and it is certainly an enjoyable beer. I just think the overall concept could have come off better than it did.

KAP1356, May 03, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +26.5%

Without breaking this review down point by point, this beer is to me a perfect beer. Great color and head, strong citrus aroma, the lemon is a perfect compliment to the hops. Its also surprisingly refreshing and drinkable for a 10% ABV beer. A great tribute to a great musician. Dogfish does it again.

swayze20, May 03, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured into an E&J Cask & Cream glass on 5/2/11

Bottled in 2011 1

"DFH Hellhound: awesome artwork but a tall glass of WTF."
-PDXHops

Tangerine amber color; nearly clear save for a faint hazy sheen. One and a half finger head of foam is slow to deflate. 1/8th inch layer of retention and a wall of clumpy lace, as well. Lots of gooey, drippy lace by the end.

The lemon influence is distinct from the first whiff: zesty and pithy lemon as well as a lemon pine-sol notion. Orange peel, too. Mildly juicy aroma. Hints of grassy, earthy hops waft about. Malt back drop is solid; mostly bready with suggestions of dough.

Bitterness leads off on the palate a la pine tar and resin. Pepperings of lemon zest and orange are had throughout but aren't nearly as prominent as in the aroma, nor do they stand up to the barrage of alcohol heat. The heat tries hard to overtake the flavors; not ideal. Billowy layers of bready malt propel the hops forward. Faint graininess as it warms. As far as DFH IPAs go, I like it; as far as booze bombs go, I don't.

Medium-full body; slick with alcohol heat. To its credit, the alcohol doesn't seem quite as harsh over time (though I reckon that could be due to palate desensitization). Carbonation is appropriate, adding a bit of agitation to assist the bitterness and lemon zest. Residual bitterness lingers amid far too much staying boozy heat.

It's a shame the alcohol is so brutal; it puts a serious damper on what could easily be one of the more hop-forward IPAs DFH has done. Dial it down to 8-8.5% abv and it might be a more pleasant sipper.

Ryan011235, May 03, 2011
4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

big off white head that is mostly foamy with some rocky bubbles. clear orangey gold color, with some deeo color tones of brown. nice lacing too.

definite dry hop scent. despite all the emphasis about lemons, i don't get a super strong citrus aroma, pine and grapefruit and maybe some slight sweet lemon scent. as well some strong caramel and honey malt scent.

and now the lemony citrus hits a little harder, also a bit of heat in the finish. still has a very grapefruity and piney essence to it. the finish is very dry and bitter, as well there is some sweet malts in the backbone.

the mouthfeel is very foamy and clean, with a relatively light body. dry finish.

this is fairly light bodied for such a bold beer with some complex and interesting flavors that are quite delicious. worth drinking.

overall a fairly impressive offering from the folks at dfh, and really quite unique. I almost feel like selling my soul to the devil for another.

ryanonline, May 03, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

A 750mL bottle that the local bottle shop held for me.

A-Cloudy orange, two finger head

S-Lemons and hops. Where is all the other citrus/floral that come along with a DIPA? Also lacking the "knock your socks off hop backbone" that you'd expect from a 100IBU beer.

T-Extremely lemon and extremely bitter. However the beer is balanced as all hell. Almost remarkable how the hops and lemon work together.

M-Medium bodied and carbonated.

O-A great overall DIPA. The first I've had that is lemon flavored. Similar to Brooklyn's Sorachi Ace. The only thing lacking was the nose. An easy drinking beer that was mouthwatering.

rlee1390, May 03, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Very nice beer- and much better than I was expecting after all the yawns over this beer on the interweb. Pours a burnished orange gold with a fine white head that leaves some very nice lacing. Nice citrusy, grainy, piney, and grassy notes in the nose. Much hoppier than I was expecting, with lots of pine and grass followed by the bitter citrus peel and then some lingering spicy sweetness. Chewy in the mouth, and with a very long, bitter finish that is puctuated with candied citron notes. A pleasant surprise.

Georgiabeer, May 03, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

As a musician myself, I'm a big music fan, and I love the idea of making beers that fit certain artists. First it was Miles, and now it's Robert Johnson. Who'll be next? They did "Johnny Cask", and Sam does his "Woody", so maybe it'll be another jazz or blues legend. I'd suggest Billie Holiday, but I think they've got to be a writer... maybe Thelonious Monk?... something just a little off-kilter, and thinly sugar-coated but still crisp. Hmmm. Anyway...

"Hellbound" is a deep golden-orange beneath a short head of creamy off-white. Hops are present in the nose, but not distinct in character. It's spicy and pepperish, and honeyish and slightly caramelish. Piney hops occasionally make their way through, as does a hint of lemon zest. There's a bit of mint across the middle as the hops combine with the malt. Spice lingers in the finish, and I'm sure a little bit of that is from the heat of the alcohol. We only have 41 tracks from R.J., all of which I'm sure were recorded sober, but I wonder what that boy would have sounded like with just a little bit of juice in 'im.

Conclusion: Lyrics to "Hellhound On My Trail"...
I gotta keep movin
I gotta keep movin
Umm mmmm mmm mmm
Blues fallin down like hail
And the days keeps on worryin me
theres a hellhound on my trail
hellhound on my trail
hellhound on my trail

If today was Christmas Eve
If today was Christmas Eve
and tommorow was Christmas Day
O wouldn't we have a time baby

All I would need my little sweet rider just
to pass the time away huh huh
to pass the time away
You sprinkled hot foot powder mmm
mmm around my door
all around my door
You sprinkled hot foot powder
all around your daddy's door hmm hmm hmm
It keep me with ramblin mind rider
every old place I go
every old place I go
I can tell the wind is risin
the leaves tremblin on the tree
tremblin on the tree
hmm hmm hmm mmm
All I needs is my sweet woman
and to keep my company hey hey hey hey
my company

NeroFiddled, May 02, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a slightly hazy yellowish orange color with a two finger white frothy head which leaves lace ring on the glass. The aroma is of lemons with hints of grapefruit and piney and earthy hops. The taste is of a big lemon flavor up front with twinges of other citrus fruits. In the middle is a slight earthy and piney hop bite. There was a nice balance of the flavors and the alcohol is very well hidden. The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated. Overall this is a solid beer, the lemons and citrus dominate a little but as the bottle goes the hops come through. For sure a buy again.

goblue3509, May 02, 2011

Not unexpectedly sharp up front. While not harsh, bordering thereon. Well balanced level of sweetness against aggressive hopping. Distinct citrus note, but I did not particulary identify lemon. Big abv adds some heat that is a touch grating at the finish, but not enough to throw things off. Solid entry in the category.

Brent, May 02, 2011
4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

A: a nice orange/light amber color, soft looking ring of bubbles and foam left around the glass after the initial head recedes. Initial head is kind of thick with a bunch of oily looking bubbles in it.

S: Lemon sweetness that isn't too strong or overpowering lingers over the whole thing, with a slight bready malt scent in the middle, little bit of alcohol burn, and grassy and slightly spicy hops. Rather different for an IPA. Like some crazy lemon meringue.

T: slightly sweet malt(biscuit and bread),alcohol is present in the middle with the hops showing up as well, grassy and bitter, with lemon coming mostly in at the end, and lingering with the grassy flavor. Sweet, but not too sweet for an double IPA, which is a usual gripe I have with them. The puckering qualities of the hops and lemons work well together.

M: a smooth and soft drink that doesn't feel very heavy and goes down nicely. Nice level of carbonation.

O: I am enjoying this beer very much. It does have a high ABV, some alcohol heat is present but not too strong in my opinion and I think it blends in with the rest of the flavors rather well. I like that this is a different and somewhat unusual beer(as is usual with DFH) but it doesn't go too far out there with a bunch of crazy ingredients, just the lemons used in a different manner than usually used, as an addition to an IPA. There is some alcohol burn in the drink, but like i said I think it mixes in with the flavors well and doesn't hurt it. I don't mind tasting a bit of alcohol/burn with a beer this strong. I am having no problem finishing the bottle on my own over the course of the night. If this was released in a regular rotation, I would pick it up again, maybe not necessarily every time(because of price), but every other time for sure.

headbucket, May 02, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Glad I found this guy. I picked up the one bottle, but depending on how this tastes, I could see trying to get a bunch more. I love citrus forward IPAs, so the lemon peel, flesh, and centennial hop combo has me pumped.

Appearance: Really orange and very pretty. There was very little head, but a nice lacing foam never seemed to leave until I had a second pour. Really coats the glass.

Aroma: Wow. Can you say lemonheads? Definitely malt sweetness and lemon on the nose. I get the centennial hops too which provides a good tartness to offset the candy quality to the nose.

Taste: I'm glad there is a much more rindy and pithy quality to the taste. There is a good fruity bitterness from the lemon, but this is indeed a malt forward DIPA.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly not as cloying as you'd think. The low carbonation allows the flavors to sit heavily on the tongue, but I wouldn't say it is sticky.

Drinkability: Um, a good glass of beer, but not small in the least. I drank the better part of this bottle and can feel it. I had it with some indian food, which was a great pair.

Overall: Nice idea executed here by DFH. I enjoyed the way the lemon casted different characteristics in the nose and the taste. This experiment could be tinkered with to more success in the future, but overall, this isn't an earth shattering outing.

soze47, May 02, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

Beer poured from bottle into non-stemmed wine glass

A - Very well carbonated; clear burgundy-wooden colored body; beer poured with less than 1 finger width white colored foam

S - Melon; lemon and malts; berry; hops are in there too; some sweet honey and high ABV scents

T - Lemon and citrus; hop flavors that rinse out the palate; deep caramel flavor on back-end; malty bitter aftertaste

M - Slight bitter twinge on the sides of the tongue; thin; slightly effervescent; dry taste from the high hop IBU

D - Nothing more you can say other than "very good"; another fantastic beer from Sam; great creation by "The Wizard"; didn't really feel the 100 IBU's, but I've come to realize that most beers that are above 80-85 IBU's are already bitter enough, but make your mouth very dry

ferrari29, May 02, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer poured a clear golden amber color and formed a huge foamy off white head that left latticed lace as it slowly subsided. A medium amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of hops, pine, with a little lemon citrus. The flavor was of hops, pine, citrus lemon and pepper. The body was medium light and the finish astringent yet sweet. Not a bad beer really, just sweeter than I like my IPAs.

Wildman, May 02, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Dogfish Head Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale is dry, peppery, and boozy.

It poured a beautiful hazy apricot color with a huge white head that left perfect tight rings of lace. The smell was metallic and boozy; the flavor was also boozy, but with lemon rind and a peppery finish. The feel was very nice, with a pleasant sting and a super-dry finish. There was no denying this ale long after it was gone.

Overall, Hellhound is is a bit too crisp for an Imperial IPA; however, it left an impression and felt pretty good.

MetalHopHead6, May 01, 2011
2.13/5  rDev -45.8%

Poured from a bomber into a standard pint glass.

Shared a bottle with my brother, and had high hopes...

Appearance is nice- pale yellow with a tinge of orange. Slightly more pale than I was expecting, but decent nonetheless. Head was pillow-soft and persistent, and (spoiler alert) is ultimately the best part of this brew.

For all the flavors and potency I expected, the aroma is pretty mild. A little maltiness and a touch of nonspecific citrus, but lacks umph.

First sip is hot with booze, along with every subsequent sip, I suppose. Believe it or not, this is actually boozier than I expect a 10% brew to be. And not a smooth booziness- more like a $5 vodka flavor. Not good.

Other flavors are present and can be teased out with some effort. Mostly lemons, but not sweet, refreshing lemon flavor. More like rotten-rind lemon flavor. The citrus doesn't seem to be coming from the hops, as there isn't much bitterness, dryness, or any other hop characteristics to be found. There is a touch of sweet orange, perhaps from the malts. But this is at least secondary, and doesn't really help the cause.

Mouthfeel is actually pretty decent, due mostly to the aforementioned pillowy head. There's a nice, smooth denseness to the brew. Too bad the flavors were almost-wretched.

Whoa, very disappointing. Before we cracked this, I quipped, "I hope this isn't just a boozed-up 90-minute." Now, I wish that was the case. There were two of us, and we drain-poured half the bottle. The label is cool, so I'll keep the bottle, but it wasn't worth even close to what we paid for this poorly-executed mess.

stonermouse, May 01, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +16.5%

Served at dogfish pub in Rehoboth. Snifter poured a hazy peachy brown hue with nice head and medium retention. Smell is an intense bouquet of hop aromas ranging from grassy to major citrus and pine. As the nose gave away this is a majorly intense ibu blast at 100 and the lemon gives an intense burst of floor for the centennial hops. I love the story behind this beer as well with a neat twist. The malt profile is creamy and pleasant and with a srm at 10 it's a nice biscuity/mild caramel influence of toasted sugar. I really enjoyed this beer.

jmfc8237, May 01, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tulip glass.

This brew is a delicious looking IPA. It's a slightly hazy orange-copper color crested with three fingers of head that stay around for way too long. Lacing is huge and chunky. Aroma? Holy hops, Batman! Anyone who's not a hop-head surely wants to bring along their Bat-Hop Repellent Spray for this one. A huge, dank hoppiness brings up the front of the nose, with a fairly substantial amount of lemon in the back. Sweet caramel malts tie it all together.

On the taste, it's just a little bit away from perfect. The aftertaste is absolutely sublime. So good, I'm going to talk about it first. A perfect blend of hoppiness and lemon. I'd like to taste it forever. The middle is also nice, a bracing hop bitterness hits the tongue right away. Now, the first act, if only that could be just a little more refined. It just rushes everything at you. Malts! Hops! Alcohol! It's all there, and could use a bit more restraint, especially on the alcohol side. Otherwise, this is a great tasting IPA. The mouthfeel is solid, it's not thick like some DIPAs can be, and is well-carbonated. The drinkabillity is also quite good, it goes down easy considering the DIPA. A great double IPA from Dogfish that's just a bit of refinement away from being a classic. It's also quite pricy, I'm quite satisfied with just the one bottle.

shand, May 01, 2011
3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Ok this one was out of the traditional dogfish 750 ML found at Kappys.

The appearance of this beer is probably it's best factor. It is a dark Cooper with deep amber and orange hues. Just gorgeous. Decent lacing.

The smell is somewhat metallic with the citrus of the lemon becoming very noticeable. Big grapefruit notes and hoppy pine as well.

The mouthfeel is fairly balanced with good carbonation.

The taste is solid. Tangy, piny, citrus love. It's good stuff. Truth be told I had a Pliny the Elder and a Two Hearted last night so it's tough to compare. However, my thought is if this was in 6 pack form I wouldn't gravitate towards it but I spend far too much on 750ml bottles which is my downfall.

Go dogfish. I love the support of music legends.

Patrickbrusil, May 01, 2011