Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My AleRobert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Hellhound is a super-hoppy ale that hits 100 IBUs in the brewhouse and 10% ABV. It's dry-hopped with 100% Centennial hops at a rate of 100 kilos per 100 barrel brew-length. Can you tell we're stoked for this mighty musical centennial?

To accentuate and magnify the citrusy notes of the Centennial hops (and as a shoutout to Robert Johnson's mentor Blind Lemon Jefferson), we add dried lemon peel and flesh to the whirlpool.

(Beer added by: jsanford on 03-15-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale Alström Bros
2.8/5  rDev -28.8%

Pours a clear medium amber brown with two fingers of fluffy eggshell white head leaving thick curtains of lace on the glass. Nose has up front caramel malts, grassy/light floral notes along with some resinous pine - i really cant pick out any citrus here. The taste and mouthfeel is rather flimsy with some noticeable alcohol (though not coming through as heat) along with being astrigent but not overly bitter (not the best description i know). Outside of some sweet malt and earthy forest i really struggle to find much else. Kind of like the chocolate in theobroma i cant find the lemons in hellhound.

Trilogy31, May 12, 2011
3.85/5  rDev -2%

A: Pours an amber/copper color with a finger a off-white colored head. Head dissipates quickly, but laces very well.

S: Nose is piney, citrusy like oranges or lemon rinds. I can definitely smell the dominating hops (bicentennial hops). I'm getting some faint honey or caramel.

T: Bitter, but very nice. Not as balanced, but I don't believe that was an aim with this brew. I hear the bitterness wasn't there for some people, but I'm actually happy with the hop level, although it could've been a bit better, piney...er.

M: Very small carbonation coming off the bottom of the glass. Medium-bodied, not syrupy, which I thought was going to be an issue. Dry finish, good but unfortunately I was expecting more from this brew.

lazjuarez, May 12, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -7.6%

Thanks to MlhopeTC for the bottles.

22oz bottle poured into my Deschutes snifter.

Bottle date 2011 1

A- Hazy orange with a 2 finger off-white head after an aggressive pour. Good retention and lacing.

S- Citrus-Lemon and oranges.

T- Slight dull pine, lemons, oranges.

D- Nice balance, tons of carbonation.

O- This is a decent beer, but nothing special. It is worth trying, but don't go crazy for it.

HuskyinPDX, May 12, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

1.5 finger white head (which dissipates, but retains a bit) with nice lacing, translucent amber body.

Nose is hops, with a trace of vegetal lemon rind.

Taste is interesting, spice and wheat at the front, hops, lemon, and alcohol at the finish. Quite complex. Finish is bitter and dry. Distant aftertaste is warming. Hop taste strangely diminishes as you keep drinking it.

Mouthfeel is nice, quite smooth.

This is an interesting one, and worthwhile for a taste; this is a sipper though. The lemon mentioned on the bottle isn't overpowering by any means, so don't be put off by that.

zaphodchak, May 12, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured into Funkwerks tulip.

A: Pours a nice caramel orange with a full two fingers of big soapy head that slowly starts disappearing.

S: Hops! this one smells very hoppy, I'm enjoying the smell thoroughly. Also picking up some pine, citrus, and grapefruit on the nose.

T: Whoa, lot's going on here, big 'ol 100 IBU hop bomb hits you right in the face and then halfway through some lemon interrupts just long enough to say, "hey I'm here!". On the back end I'm picking up slight caramel malts with a twinge of lemon left over.

M: Moutshfeel is good, quite a bit of carbonation makes the drinkability a bit lower, but I think IPAs should have a fair amount of carbonation.

O: Not a bad beer by any means, I think I was expecting something more complex. The label is the coolest part about this beer unfortunately. I'd drink it again but I probably wouldn't pay DFH premium prices for it again.

holden303, May 12, 2011

This was a average beer at best, I liked it but nothing really stood out. It has a nice look and frothy head the taste has that bit lemon that is in there it is good but really somewhat average.

I would say it is worth trying but it will not be really nothing earth shatering either.

Casey10, May 12, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: cloudy deep yellow/orange body, 1 finger head, nice lacing!

S: hint of lemon peel, grain, earthy pine

T: sweet lemon/citrus front, earthy pine middle, sticky long bitter finish

M: medium body, sticky/oily finish

O: If this was some average brewery, I would say well done. BUT this is Dogfish Head, one of my favorite breweries and one of the best out there (in my humble opinion) and this is just a pretty good American Double/Imperial IPA.

(P.S. Always love Dogfish label art, big music fan here.
Robert Johnson, very underrated legend).

PRETTY GOOD, LITTLE DISAPPOINTED

BeerLover99, May 11, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -20.4%

22oz Brown bomber

A: Honey gold in color, with a frothy two finger head, and firm carbonation from the hops throughout.

S: Biscuit malt comes to the nose first followed by strong notes of honey. The hops come in mid nose wit wet citrus finished with the lemon zest in the end.

T: This beers starts off very fresh and smooth, honey then comes to the forefront yet not cloying due to the hop presence. This is classic Dogfish Head IPA in style. The beers finishes very zesty, and slightly hot.

M,O: The beer is very light in the palate considering its strength. It is somewhat reminiscent of lemon seltzer and not in the wrong way, perhaps due to its refreshing, and unique nature. A very interesting brew, though slightly hot at the end which reminds me of chillies?

fastpass17, May 11, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

Appearance: orange and yellow in color with a 1" head that lingers a bit. No lacing develops.

Smell: loads of lemon zest and some hop bitterness are easy to pull from the glass.

Taste: slight grainy and bready malt profile with loads of lemon flavors, lighter grapefruits, and a surprisingly mild bitterness level. Alcohol is very strong and dominating.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp to start, smoother and a bit dry at the finish. Aftertaste is long as the lemon and alcohol last in the mouth for a long time.

Overall: this beer is a very slow sipper and in the end not as pleasurable as other unique offerings from DFH. Bitterness doesn't really come through as anticipated, and lemon tones are a bit too strong.

Gavage, May 11, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -44%

Bottle picked up at Rick's in Alexandria. Really looking forward to this one. Served in a Dogfish thin pint.

Pours a lightly-hazy peach-apricot color with a good white head and some nice sticky lacing on the way down. The nose carries some light notes of citrus plus a pretty hefty amount of booze. Quite a bit of bready malt in the background as well. The taste is basically a malty mess. There is no real lemon character and the hops are an afterthought. The taste is overrun by a strong alcohol character. Other than that, bready malt and a bit of sweetness. Feel is completely boozed-up and lacks really any bitterness. Not impressive.

Thorpe429, May 11, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -28%

The bottle alone drove me to buy the last one at the store I work at, but that not why your here, you're reading this to see if its any good, and in all honesty i think its OK, its definitely not Natty Ice, but then it's not delicious Palo Santo either. Orange in color and with about two fingers of head and good lacing it looks rather good. The smell is definite an ale but with a little dough to it. Mouthful to me felt like an ale smooth with some carbonation, but taste is what i found to the most disappointing part of Hellhound after i swallowed my first sip it was all fine and good, then it tasted like a just drank a shot of citrus vodka and that made me not so much sad , just really disappointed in it. I'm not saying to give it a try just lower your expectations of it.

bmo56, May 11, 2011

OK. I'm judging this beer like I didnt read the label. Looks like an IPA, slight orange in color. Nice head throughout the bottle. Tastes delicious! Lemon lingers at the end of each sip. Did I mention it tastes great? Its also 10% alcohol and I get very little alcohol burn. Maybe the devil did make this brew?? This is something I feel Dogfish has down. Big alchol in a highly dangerous delicious beer. Smell? Like a normally hopped IPA with a hint of lemon. Where I'm disapointed is by what I read in the label. 100 IBU's especially with Centennials means I'm in for a citrus hop burst in taste and smell. I'm ready for hops to kick my senses in the ass! Neither are present. Kind of a let down. Would I drink this again? In a heartbeat. Great beer. Just don't read the label and you'll be stoked!!

Natec1000, May 11, 2011

Nice light orange haze color, and a head with good lacing. Aromas of flowers and lemon/orange. Lightly sweet flavor, and the citrus fruit background was present from initial taste to follow-through. The hop bitterness without the wet hop overkill was a nice touch, I'd be curious about how this was made exactly. Way too easy to drink, beware of Dog. Overall a fantastic drink, but approach with caution, I'm thinking there's more than 10% in there!

Wegomlegging, May 10, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

poured into a tulip

a - great amber/orange with a nice head. quite a bit of lacing
s - a little mild for being dry hopped, but a light citrus to it.
t - smooth and very light for a 10% beer
m - much lighter than I expected, but extremely (dangerously) drinkable
o - glad i tried it, and a very good beer. not something I would personally go searching all over for, but also glad I have a 2nd bottle to share with someone.

jpopejoy, May 10, 2011
4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

Hellhound on My Ale

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet tulip.

Pours a translucent straw color and ends up a translucwnt peach color. 2 fingers of white head rest brieflt, leaving a frolthy lacing around the glass.

The nose offers a lot of resinous hop aromas. Bold citrus fruit is mixed with a sweet malt bill and a boozey undertone.

The taste is full of a citrus rush that is matched with some sweet malt. Not enough sweetness to cover the 10% but makes a great effort. Grapefruit, lemon tartness, and apricot linger throughout and are followed by the booze warmth. This warmth blends very well and ampifies the citrusy notes. The 100 IBUs aren't coming into play as much as I had expected as far as bitterness goes. A bit of caramel is offered from the sweet malts. I would have to say that this is a malt forward IPA.

The mouthfeel is pretty full for a DIPA. Crisp and dry at the end, Hellhound has a good comfortable feel.

Overall, the added lemons contributed a taste similar to a lot of other traditional citrusy ipas. However, the citrus is a bit bolder and is better balanced than most others. A great malt bill supports the balance. Although there isnt a whole lot of originality going on, they nailed a great traditional double IPA. Very smooth and dangerously drinkable.

ChugginOil, May 10, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -25.4%

A - Nothing out of the ordinary, perfectly clear but no visible carbonation. Thin head that stays at about 1/2 finger and leaves lots of lace.

S - Not as pungent as most DIPA's but clearly more than a standard IPA as well. The lemon peel doesn't come through as much as I'd thought. Malt is somewhat present with a nice clean, crystal malt-like aroma.

T - Starts off pretty good and all is well with the fresh hops, but then it turns to a light syrup/citrus vodka taste; needless to say the two of them kind of clash IMO. The aftertaste is pretty boozy with flavors of lemon and not too bittering. Just a little off to me.

M - Medium body with a nice amount of carbonation. The aftertaste doesn't last long and the 10% ABV is noticeable. Not the easiest beer I've ever drunk.

Overall a good idea pairing centennial hops with lemon peel but this one misses the mark for me. Guess I'm not "off centered" enough....

VaTechHopHead, May 10, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottled In: 2011 1

A: Pours a nice copperish golden yellow color with a finger and a halfs worth of off-white head

S: Nice and floral/grassy with subtle hints of lemon peel. Slight alcohol in there too, but that is expected for a 10% brew

T/M: Full bodied and hoppy with a nice malt backbone. Carbonation is spot on for the body. Alcohol comes through in the end, but isn't overly distracting. Actually, it adds balances out with the hops and malt very nicely. Slight lemon peel comes through in the middle and helps the to round off the bitterness of the hops

D/O: I'm fully enjoying this 750. A very solid DIPA from DFH

BEERMILER12, May 09, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance:

Tonight I went for, yep you guessed it my Dogfish Head large stemmed goblet as I cracked the cap off this really cool looking bottle and was greeted with a huge hissing noise coming from the bottle. I wanted to take a quick minute to mention that I have never had a DFH beer that was poorly carbonated which is starting to become a problem for some great breweries and it really makes or breaks a beer in my opinion. I poured straight on in the bulbous base of my glass and noticed there was only a tiny amount of bubbles creeping up as I poured. When I was done, I was left with a beautiful two finger thick white creamy head that was fluffy and airy looking. When i hold my glass up to the light I am getting a bright deep golden almost light orange looking ale with nothing but clarity and no haze or yeast chunks floating around. On the viscosity check I gave my snifter a swirl and actually was left with a decent amount of legs that hung on the glass walls a slid away slowly.

Smell:

Wow this is huge and bright with loads of hops running out of the glass trying to punch you in the face. Earthy, abrasive kind of rough hoppiness you might expect, some grapefruit and other citrus present as well. Undoubtedly, the lemons lead the way. There is also a sweet malty aroma with the other citrus from the centennial hops coming through as well maybe oranges and pineapples. In the finish there is just a touch of heat alcohol poking through but nothing overwhelming just reminiscent of their classic 90 minute IPA.

Taste:

Now this is the old Dogfish Head that I remember big, burly, and loaded with bright hops! Right on the tip of your tongue the alpha battle begins with a big hit of pine and resiny goodness. Some fruits are poking through other that the obvious lemons like apricot, and mangoes which makes a nice touch of sweetness over all the bitterness. Let me not forget the malt because this baby is not lacking any at all, matter of fact it's quite thick. Caramel, and toffee round out all of the chewiness of the malts. What a nice full bodied DIPA. The carbonation is spot on, even a little bit creamy which makes it go down so smooth. Again in the finish there is just a kiss of heat alcohol that you can feel when you breathe out after every sip but that's OK with me because it really works here well.

Drinkability:

Overall, this is a not to miss beer in my opinion. If you like double IPAs and want a good one to throw into your rotation this one will be right up your ally. Unfortunately this is a limited release beer that will have a smaller production number and distribution area. So if you can come across it I would highly recommend this one, not because I am a Dogfish fan but because this is just a solid style they made without trying to add any wacky ingredients that is a step back to their old self. So if you can trade or buy it this is a sure thumbs up in my book.

Bmoyer0301, May 09, 2011

Pours a clear deep amber color with a good 1/2 inch of fluffy white head. It never fully dissipates. Glass is lean until you start to drink it, then there is a bit of lacing.

Smell seemed typical to me. Bright but sharp as expected. Citrus from the hops, very clean and nice.

The taste is boozy to start and then it is all about the hop flavor profiles. Citrus and floral. Easy and drinkable.

Feels great in the mouth initially, nice and bright and bubbly, finishes a little sharp though. Again, sort of what I'd expect.

Overall, it wasn't amazing, but it was definitely a good beer to share with my wife on her first mothers day.

benpopper, May 09, 2011

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into my Great Divide Brussels glass.

Beer pours a hazy, light orange amber color with about half a finger of thin, wispy head that quickly retreated and provided some decent, but not incredible lacing.

Smell consists of floral hops and citrus fruit. I'm definitely picking up the lemon.

This beer tastes like a DFH IPA. It lacks the balance and power of 90 Minute or the funky earthiness of Squall, but you can tell the brewer by tasting this one. There is a pronounced hops bitterness and the tartness of the lemon works well to balance the hops. There's a touch of caramel malt backbone present as well.

Mouthfeel is slightly sticky. The hops provide a certain level of oiliness, but the finish is clean and somewhat dry. Carbonation is on the light side, but it compliments the beer well.

Overall, this is a very good DIPA. IMO, I prefer 90 Minute and Squall, but this was nice beer to enjoy on a warm spring evening on my back deck.

pburland23, May 09, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Picked this one up at Rick's in Alexandria, VA yesterday. Poured from a 750ML bottle into my Dogfish Head tulip.

a - Pours a somewhat transparent orange-amber color with one finger of fluffy off white head and high carbonation evident. Head leaves some lacing on the glass and lasts for several minutes.

s - Smells of oranges, citrus hops, fruity malts, grapefruit, biscuit, and caramel malts. Mostly oranges and citrus up front; not a ton of lemon but pretty good.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, pine hopes, oranges, grapefruit, fruity malts, caramel malts, and floral notes. Very light bitterness up front but not a lot for a 10% DIPA. Again, mostly citrus and orange up front, but pretty nice.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, body is very smooth and creamy, with just a touch of bitterness up front. Very nice body.

o - Overall I thought this was a pretty good DIPA from Dogfish Head. Lots of oranges and citrus hops up front, and not a lot of bitterness from the hops,. The body is very smooth and nice as well; definitely worth checking out . Would have it again.

mdfb79, May 09, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

On tap and mighty fresh at the Birdsall House in Peekskill, NY.

Poured lightly hazed orangy amber, slight tan head and ample lace left behind.

Hopped up citric nose (suprise), with grapefruit, some lime and oranges coming to mind.

Densly flavorful offering from DFH.

In the mouth, pepper spice, lime, grapefruit, blaanced by the sweetness of some honey, vanilla and bready/toasty malts. Loving this one.

Happy to enjoy several of these on tap, looking forward to tracking down and enjoying a few bottles as well.

Go get some and enjoy, especially for the double IPA lovers out there....you know who you are..

Billolick, May 08, 2011
3.73/5  rDev -5.1%

750ml bottle

Pours a hazy orange/gold color, nice fine bubbles that quickly fade. Aromas are citrusy and hoppy, nothing over the top. Flavor is quite drinkable, the lemon is absent, I get more orange and citrus from the Centennials. Mouthfeel is lively and bubbly, fairly crisp with moderate bitterness. Solid beer, I like the label more than the beer itself, another bottle for the shelf.

Tripphop, May 08, 2011
4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

A: Pours a dark amber with a pure white head with great retention. Slowly dissipates leaving a wonderful lace

S: Some floral hops with a citrus bite to it. A little booze comes through as well on the back end.

T: Heavy citrus (mostly lemon) with a typical bitter hop ending that I enjoyed. Little burn on the end with a big sip.

M: Medium body with an oily feel with great carbonation.

O: Good citrus twist to this DIPA and I enjoyed the slight booze burn on the end as well. Very crisp and I liked it.

Treebs, May 08, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured a more brownihs gold than orange and had good head retention and left lace down the glass. A earthy, dry hoppy twang dominates the aroma along w/ mild citric notes and a touch of sweetness. Wonderfully balanced as a smooth, medium bodied even chewey beer passes my tongue leaving behind alotta hops with citric and lemon everywhere as well as a grainy dryness and large crispness thanks to heavy carbonation. Goes down easy and there is a noticeable sugary/caramel malt sweetness as well as a touch of spur fruit. Beer finishes dry and crisp w/o the high ABV bleeding into it and is a great sipper.

clayrock81, May 08, 2011