Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My AleRobert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: jsanford on 03-15-2011

Hellhound is a super-hoppy ale that hits 100 IBUs in the brewhouse and 10% ABV. It's dry-hopped with 100% Centennial hops at a rate of 100 kilos per 100 barrel brew-length. Can you tell we're stoked for this mighty musical centennial?

To accentuate and magnify the citrusy notes of the Centennial hops (and as a shoutout to Robert Johnson's mentor Blind Lemon Jefferson), we add dried lemon peel and flesh to the whirlpool.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

This is the first beer for which I have managed to write a review. I poured it from a 1-pint and 9.4 fl. oz. bottle into an English Pub glass and put on some of the obviously apropos Robert Johnson.

A: The brew had a bigger head than I was expecting, and it retained at a nice level after it slowly settled. There was a thin 1-inch piece of debris, which I presume came out of the bottle and floated up with the head. I was unable to identify it, but it looked like a blade of grass or something of that sort.

S: I got a nice and strong lemon/hop smell as soon as I opened the bottle. As I poured, the scent diversified to a combination of citrus and herbal notes. The scent is typical for a DIPA, but has is a bit more interesting because of the sweeter, fruitier aroma.

T: It has a strong grapefruit/lemon zest flavor up front and an intense hop presence throughout. The flavor is indicative of the liberal hopping described on the bottle. There is a little bit of heat from the alcohol at the end, but it is surprisingly subtle.

M: It feels a bit thicker than the average DIPA, but it is pleasant, and I do not have any complaints w/r/t mouthfeel.

O: I liked this brew a lot. The flavor was complex, the pour was very attractive, and it was a unique foray into the style. It fit nicely into what I have come to expect from a Dogfish Head IPA.

Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery