Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My AleRobert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Hellhound is a super-hoppy ale that hits 100 IBUs in the brewhouse and 10% ABV. It's dry-hopped with 100% Centennial hops at a rate of 100 kilos per 100 barrel brew-length. Can you tell we're stoked for this mighty musical centennial?

To accentuate and magnify the citrusy notes of the Centennial hops (and as a shoutout to Robert Johnson's mentor Blind Lemon Jefferson), we add dried lemon peel and flesh to the whirlpool.

(Beer added by: jsanford on 03-15-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale Alström Bros

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

This is the first beer for which I have managed to write a review. I poured it from a 1-pint and 9.4 fl. oz. bottle into an English Pub glass and put on some of the obviously apropos Robert Johnson.

A: The brew had a bigger head than I was expecting, and it retained at a nice level after it slowly settled. There was a thin 1-inch piece of debris, which I presume came out of the bottle and floated up with the head. I was unable to identify it, but it looked like a blade of grass or something of that sort.

S: I got a nice and strong lemon/hop smell as soon as I opened the bottle. As I poured, the scent diversified to a combination of citrus and herbal notes. The scent is typical for a DIPA, but has is a bit more interesting because of the sweeter, fruitier aroma.

T: It has a strong grapefruit/lemon zest flavor up front and an intense hop presence throughout. The flavor is indicative of the liberal hopping described on the bottle. There is a little bit of heat from the alcohol at the end, but it is surprisingly subtle.

M: It feels a bit thicker than the average DIPA, but it is pleasant, and I do not have any complaints w/r/t mouthfeel.

O: I liked this brew a lot. The flavor was complex, the pour was very attractive, and it was a unique foray into the style. It fit nicely into what I have come to expect from a Dogfish Head IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a year+-old bomber a deep amber with some sediment.

Nose is ripe with citrus hops. Maybe a touch of lemon, but it's subtle.

Taste is nicely bitter and hoppy, with a tinge of detectable sour lemon. Not bad, but definitely underwhelming for the 10% ABV (not too obvious) and relatively high price for this bottle (around $15). Wouldn't revisit again, unless I knew it was quite fresh.

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Hazy tawny golden yellow, light brownish in color. Good head on the pour and moderate head retention. Effervescent carbonation. Aroma is grapefruit hop, apricots, and a definite lemon presence. Very smooth mouthfeel. I would never guess that this was 10%. The grapefruit flavored hops are on the front of the palate. There's just a hint of lemon in the flavor but it doesn't arrive until the aftertaste.

Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale from Dogfish Head Brewery