Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

pDev: 25%
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: jsanford on 03-15-2011

Hellhound is a super-hoppy ale that hits 100 IBUs in the brewhouse and 10% ABV. It's dry-hopped with 100% Centennial hops at a rate of 100 kilos per 100 barrel brew-length. Can you tell we're stoked for this mighty musical centennial?

To accentuate and magnify the citrusy notes of the Centennial hops (and as a shoutout to Robert Johnson's mentor Blind Lemon Jefferson), we add dried lemon peel and flesh to the whirlpool.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 501-525 | 526-550 | 551-575  | next → last
Reviews: 573 | Hads: 1,848
3.79/5  rDev -1.3%

Ok this one was out of the traditional dogfish 750 ML found at Kappys.

The appearance of this beer is probably it's best factor. It is a dark Cooper with deep amber and orange hues. Just gorgeous. Decent lacing.

The smell is somewhat metallic with the citrus of the lemon becoming very noticeable. Big grapefruit notes and hoppy pine as well.

The mouthfeel is fairly balanced with good carbonation.

The taste is solid. Tangy, piny, citrus love. It's good stuff. Truth be told I had a Pliny the Elder and a Two Hearted last night so it's tough to compare. However, my thought is if this was in 6 pack form I wouldn't gravitate towards it but I spend far too much on 750ml bottles which is my downfall.

Go dogfish. I love the support of music legends.

2.71/5  rDev -29.4%

Bottle generously shared by obrienmrkt. Thank you Sean.

Pours yellow orange with a nice consistent white crown that lasts a right good amount of time.

Smells of lemon rind and doughy breakfast biscuits. Not nearly as bright as expected.

Egads, this beer is all over the place. Tartness up front leads to lemon across the middle and a bracing almost medicinal bitterness that hammers the tongue and lingers and creeps into the throat. Pungent and sharp in a harsh way, this beer could use some refinement. Not really my bag.

Mouthfeel is full, bitter, and jarring. Like a lemon pine sol shake injected with sweet, sweet steroids.

Overall, a messy, albeit well intentioned, tribute to a master.

4.18/5  rDev +8.9%

Poured into a Dogfish Head snifter because I am able to and if you could you would too.

Beer is amber / orange and mostly clear with a thick head of small off white bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Looks really nice.

Smell is sweet and hoppy, earthy, grinding kind of rough hoppiness you might expect, some grapefruit and other citrus present as well.

Beer is thinner than expected and the finish is nice a bitter but not overwhelming, highly drinkable, beer is citrusy but not overwhelming, there is this earthy hoppiness to it throughout. I'm having a nice night at home drinking some good beer, I'd have this again.

3.91/5  rDev +1.8%

A - Very hazy amber, nearly orange. Pours with a foamy white head which dissipates into a thin sheen over the top of the liquid.

S - Strong citrus. The lemon and hops combine to make a powerful scent. The pine is also very prevalent here. I don't really know if I smell anything else, but it's possible that there are some malts in there.

T - Bitter and piney. The pine and resin give way to strong citrus flavors. A light hint of straight lemon on the back end. Real fruity but not nearly as fresh and juicy as I am used to from a huge amount of hops.

M - Fairly low in carbonation for the style. This leads to a tingliness and a slightly heavier feel. The lemon and hop bite stick around.

O - Interesting, but nothing special. I enjoyed it, but when Squall is $4 cheaper I will always reach for it instead. That's ok as I don't think this one will be around too long given it's a limited release.

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"Bottled in 2011 1"
Poured into DFH snifter

A - Deep orange/copper body with a big frothy light tan head. Nice looking beer,

S - Malty balance is there the whole time, but you really get hops forward, a citrus note, with a distinctive touch of lemon which I may not have picked up if I didn't know it was there. Some fruity sweetness in the back.

T - Kind of bitter, a weird hop profile, and surprisingly syrupy. I hope this gets better as it warms. Not impressive, really.
However, as it warms, my wish comes true. The syrupyness of it goes away somewhat, and the bitter hop profile takes over. Still not great.

M - Thick, slow, syrupy, coating. Not what I want in this style.

O (D) - Very cool beer, Great bottle, Great look, good smell. But the taste is not too good. A little disappointing, but that's how it goes sometimes.

3.01/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle into a snifter. Not sure if they're doing multiple batches of this, but this one would be from the original batch if they do.

A - Pours a clear, straw-yellow, with a nice couple of fingers of head that sticks to the glass in pleasant ways. Good retention for sure.

S - The aroma is a bit thin, with an unusual combination of very bitter yet sweet notes. The citrus is more rind and pith than zest, and there seems to be plenty of pine. The citrus notes might have something to do with the lemon, but it's subtle if anything.

T - At first, when cold, it's pretty pleasant. The bitterness is mostly in the background, with lemony citrus and pine, and the sweetness of the malt comes through. As it warms it becomes more abrasive and harsh. The alcohol is more evident now, and the lemon (?) is making it a little rough. Much more bitter and astringent.

M - Very dry, with a long finish. The feel is full, and carbonation is right on.

O - This is a bit of a letdown. The underlying IPA wasn't bad, but the bitterness was just too one-dimensional for me and it turned somewhat unpleasant toward the end. I wanted to love it but it turned out just okay.

Although I didn't factor it into the score, I'm puzzled as to why DFH would release a non-cellarable beer as a tribute -- they have to know that people are going to want to hold on to this as a collectible. Strange.

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

15 bucks at the beer trappe, a steep price, but at least it’s a fresh IPA that’s been refrigerated at all times!

Aggressive pour leaving a huge tall white head rather creamy in look. The body is lightly merky/hazy light orange. A good bit lighter than Squal and 90 in color.

Huge hoppy nose here, absolutely wonderful IPA smell. Mixed with the grape fruit aroma the lemon dogfish mentions comes out as well. A good bit of sweetness is able to subdue the hops very finish.

100 IBUs is biting HARD on this one and I’m loving it. Crap can I get a few more bottles? This is fascinating stuff. The lemon flavor is biting with the hops creating a pretty interesting double bite. Where most IPA’s fade slightly to give way to the malt finish this one gets a second wind from the lemon flavors and it bites even harder. Alcohol presence here is noticeable but doesn’t get in the way. That said it does add an off putting flavor in the finish (odd how more and more the flavor of the alcohol bothers me in these larger beers).

Great carbonation given the 10% along with a not overly thick syrupy body make this a pretty good beer to drink given the size and power of the beer.

My taste buds are ruined, totally attacked by hops and lemon citrus power. After this one has to wonder why dogfish doesn’t make hoppy ipa’s? I mean really guys give us hop heads something to enjoy instead of the malt bombs you call ipas! This finally does it and frankly this is a huge step in the right direction. Now where does it rank in the double IPA world? Well…unique, certainly…..off center? Oh you’re damn right. An exceptional IPA? Well…it’s darn close but falls a bit short. Final note, it is odd to not get orange or grape fruit, but instead lemon in an ipa. This is a very noticeable but not overpowering flavor.

3.33/5  rDev -13.3%

Served in a glass mug.

Figured we needed something to go with bottling our first lager, so this is what caught my eye at the store. It pours a clear rich amber topped by a finger-and-a-half of dirty white foam. The nose comprises lemon zest, orange zest, pine, light grapefruit, and some seemingly lightly-toasted caramel. The taste holds notes of caramel, harsh lemon zest, mandarin orange, pine, grapefruit rind, and a stinging bitterness near the finish (sort of a reprise of the lemon zest, but taken to its potentially powerfully bitter conclusion, if that makes any sense). It starts off nicely, normally, but then turns darkly sideways. The body straddles the line between heavy light and light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry-ish finish. Overall, a decent-ish brew, but the flavors just don't do it for me. Somehow the lemon just doesn't meld properly with the other actors (it's getting a checkmark on its report card...).

4.21/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into DFH Snifter

A - Pours a medium amber with a slight haziness. Two fingers worth of dense, white head with good retention and a sticky lace.

S - Citrus and a bit of resin in the nose, with a background of sweet, toasted malts. Feint lemon aroma in the background, but honestly, if I hadn't found myself searching for it, I don't know that I would have noticed it.

T&M - Starts with a crisp tang carrying a bit of a pithy quality. Fuller bodied with a generous malting, carrying a sweet, somewhat bready nature. Citrus and a bit of resin abound throughout, carrying a bit of an oily feel, but an intense citrus shows mostly in an intensely hoppy finish that persists long after swallowing.

O - Finely balanced, and one of the more interesting IIPA's I've had. Intense, but clean flavors. I'm hoping this becomes part of the Dogfish rotation.

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

Grabbed a bottle of this at Brookline Liquors tonight. Poured in to a large DFH snifter, the color is a cool orange, with a finger of white heading. Wow, the lemon is much more apparent in the smell than I was expecting. Not a bad thing either, you especially get the rind. Actually that is pretty much all I am getting from the smell: strong lemons. The taste is very clean, almost soapy to a point, with those lemons stepping in once again. Mouthfeel is light to medium, with a good dose of carbonation. The most remarkable aspect of this beer is the ABV. Where is the 10%? It tastes like a 5-6% IPA. Perhaps it is the lemon masking it. It also doesn't taste like it is anywhere near 100 IBUs. Had I not read the label, this would have been a very different review. Either way though, I dig this beer big time. The citrus component works surprisingly well here. Cheers to DFH on this one.

3.14/5  rDev -18.2%

A- Nice golden honey color... two finger bright white foam. A touch of lacing, but nothing to sticky. Really nice carbonation. Beautiful looking...

S- More sweet malts than piney or fruity hops. DFH has never made a Cali-style IIPA that bursts forward with fruit. Lemony citrus pops a bit more as it warms up. Not really big on the nose. A little bit dissapointed.

T- Big malt and alcohol... Lemon zest, and bitter grapefruit pith. Decent balance between the BIG malty sweetness and the bitter lemon hop flavor!!! Just not alot going on here in my opinion.

M- Nice carbonation on the tongue... nice malty sweetness with a bitterness from the lemon and pith. Nothing fantastic... but not bad either.

O- A bit dissapointed with this one. Where the hell is the IIPA? It's a fine beer to drink, but at $12.99 a bottle... I was hoping for sooo much more. Robert Johnson deserves a much better tribute than this! I mean hell... the man did sell his soul to the Devil.

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%

Another commemorative ale for the music industry. Robert Johnson is reincarnated with this sweet, spicy rendition- peppered with bitter, sharp, and with a bite that sticks in your crawl with a pleasant grind.

On the outside, the beer fits the bill of a Double IPA- Deep golden, light copper and with a gentlemanly clarity that carries only the most modest of haze. Froathy white foam blankets the beer with fantastic staying power and lacing well.

Zesty aromas of citrus carry the hop scent through a blend of grapefruit and orange zest until the clean lemon scent finishes the beer for the slight reminesence of furniture polish. Light caramel sweetness supports the hops very well and without competing for attention.

Where malt sweetness finishes the aroma, they start the taste: Light caramel and corn syrup sweetness give initial flavor while the hops begin to build behind. Soft citrus flavors carry the grapefruit and orange peel taste to mid palate where the zesty lemon acidity begins to take over and eventally balance the hops in finish. The hops/lemon character challenges where the hop flavor/bitterness stop and where the lemon flavor/bitterness begins. Delicious, but I'm still distracted by the taste of furniture polish.

Medium malty richness contributes a soft creamy texture that give a rich start until the hop acidity, bitterness, and dryness rise. Lemony acids, bitterness and mild astringency further reinforce the hop character and amplifies the alchol dryness late. Complex bittering has as much an impact on mouthfeel as they do taste, all leading to a snappy and fresh bitterness with the linger of lemongrass going into the next taste.

A delicious beer that exacerbates intense hop character with actual lemon bitterness, flavor, and acids- litteral and marvellously so.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

Fresh on tap!

A: Excellent lacing, nice color. Decent (~1/2 inch) head.

S: Very citrusy, not quite as "in-your-face" as some DIPA's (like Hopslam).

T: I feel like this was a very balanced DIPA. Had a very hoppy and lemon flavor, but was also malty enough to make it very drinkable. I love super hoppy DIPA's, but I was pleased by the refreshingly balanced nature of this one. Wasn't boozy, despite being 10%

M: Perfectly carbonated, somewhat creamy. Not annoyingly effervescent.

D: Very drinkable. If it wasn't for the 10% abv (and the limited availability), I would make this a summer poolside staple.

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

750 ml bottle. $12.25 from Pints O Plenty.

Appearance: Clear orange with a good looking white head and average retention for a big IPA. Some attractive, sticky lacing.

Smell: Hoppy and malty sweet. Citrus (orange/lemon) and slightly piney hops aromas. It says its brewed with lemons, but the aroma isn't overly lemony, not any more so than any other citrusy hops smell. Smells candy sweet with caramel malt notes typical of DFH IPAs. Doesn't smell overly boozy.

Taste: The taste is much more boozy (hot) and much more lemony. Bitter lemon pith mixed with the sweeter citrus flavor from the hops almost works, but bitter/pithy unfortunately wins out. At this point, I wish it was maltier (I've never said that about a DFH IPA) to balance out the lemon. Finish is more hot alcohol.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is very good, and manages to dry out better on the finish than say, a 90 min IPA, probably in part from the lemon. No complaints really.

Overall: With the first few sips, I thought I was really going to like this. The lemon flavor, that bitter peel/pith taste, really gets old though.

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle poured into my Dogfish Head signature glass. Looking forward to this one!

A - Bottle opens with a very strong carbonation whoosh...Pours a beautiful light neutral amber color with excellent clarity. A thick finger of rocky, active and loose bubbled foam with moderate staying power. Head falls roughly and unevenly with large bubble pops...falls to the surface leaving loose islands of bubbles, a thick but uneven foamy collar and some sporadic lacing on the glass.

S - Sweaty, a bit dirty and earthy hop presence. Lots of grassiness...some citrus - I think more from the lemons than hops. Some caramelly malt creeps through the hops, but this is just a passing note.

T - Boozy up front, very earthy and dirty, tons of lemon throughout although it never really seems to make it to the forefront and really lingers behind and/or alongside the other flavors. The lemon is a bit odd - quite strong and very noticeable in some ways and somehow never seems to be a primary focus in the flavor profile. Very solid malt base, lots of caramellized sugars, toffees, and straight sugary sweetness. I even get a bit of a vanilla taste on the finish as this warms up to approach room temperature.

M - On the thick and full bodied side of things. This isn't a sipper, but there is no way to really down this one quickly either. Carbonation is surprisingly low - wish it was a bit higher - might give this a bit more life. To me...feels heavier than I think it actually is - this has the makings of a decent barleywine if left to age for a bit.

O - Hmm, I had pretty high hopes for this - perhaps I was just expecting something else (or just hoped the beer would live up the virtuoso status of its namesake). Overall, I'd call this pretty dirty and raw (perhaps it fits closer to Robert Johnson than I gave it credit)...the flavors don't mesh together particularly well for me. I love lemony beers too, but this somehow misses the mark a bit. Those expecting a west coast DIPA - look elsewhere. This is very much in line with the DFH approach do this style - balanced, a bit malty for a true hophead's tastes and a bit unusual. Maybe I'm being a bit too hard on this, as it definitely let me down from my expectations. Still a very solid beer, but not was I was looking for tonight. A bit boozy, lemony (but not from hops)...malty but balanced DIPA.

Fresh in.

A: Nice mostly clear copper color. A finger of sticky white head. Good lacing. Really solid looking DIPA. The lacing was really impressive as you got down the glass.

S: The lemon is quite subtle and works well enough with the dry hopping. The hops are not as bright as in a fresh bottle of 90. This is also a malty as DIPA. All their IPAs have that similar bready note. A touch of citrus as well.

T: Starts off with the lemon peel which works really well with the dry hopping. It never goes over the top like I thought it would. This is a malty ass DIPA as well. Quite balanced actually. Piney resin. If it did not say about the lemon peel you would never guess.

M: Nice full bodied DIPA. Reminds me of fresh unearthly from about 2 years ago. The carbonation is spot on. Even a little bit creamy.

D: Super easy drinking. Probably too easy. I find that to be the case with all their big IPAs. Very enjoyable DIPA nothing more nothing less.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

750ml bottle.

Pours a hazy golden orange with a frothy white head that recedes to a thin cap and leaves only bits of lacing.

Aroma is bright and citrusy and, undoubtedly, the lemons lead the way. There is also a sweet malty aroma with the other citrus from the centennial coming through as well - oranges and pineapples.

The taste is actually not as hoppy as I was expecting, at least with the flavor. What I mean to say is that it's bitter and astringent but without having much actually citrus. The lemon rinds are there and lend a tartness to things along with a resinous pine finish. The malts are there and lend a sweetness to the backbone.

The mouthfeel is thick and sweet but with a ton of bitterness and lip-puckering lemony tartness.

Overall, it's a decent beer but really sugary sweet and overly astringent with less hop flavor than I was hoping for. Another Dogfish beer that's interesting but not outstanding.

4.01/5  rDev +4.4%

Couldn't pass up grabbing this beer. I'm a big DFH fan and a huge blues/Robert Johnson fan. I mean come on, the guy sells his soul to the devil to play the guitar. How badass is that?

The beer pours a bright orangish copper color with a frothy white head that dissipates fairly quickly.

The aroma is very citrusy and floral. I definitely detect the lemon.

This beer comes out of the gate with a huge citrus punch that will make your mouth pucker. I am generally not a fan of lemon, but it works nicely with the floral and bitterness from Centennial hops. I wasn't expecting this much bitterness to come from 58 IBUs. A semi-sweet malt base (that reminds me of 90 Minute) helps to support the bitterness. The 10% abv definitely shows in this beer. The boozy alcohol warmth hits you on the finish, but not in an offensive way.

Overall this is a very tasty brew. Not quite as experimental and innovative as the Bitches Brew, but good nonetheless. Every variation of an IPA I've had from them has not let me down, nor has the Hellhound. Definitely worth a try.

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

Snifter @ dogfishhead restaurant in Rehoboth
A-Rosy amber, light and opaque with a light white head and minimal lacing. very pretty color.
S-Hoppy, spicy and fruity, but it's very faint...maybe my sniffer is broken?
T-Nice malt and hoppy character...little bitter lemongrass and berry with balanced hops on the finish. definitely more of an IPA than a double, and delicious!
M-Light and mouth-coating but hops stick with you on the finish. Tremendous.
D- At 10%, I'm not planning on putting many of these back.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

Picked up a bottle of this the other night. Did not expect this on the shelves so soon; needless to say I was excited to see it. Cracked this with Zeppelin's Traveling Riverside Blues (a Bob Johnson cover) playing in my head.

A: The pour is gorgeous. Pours from the bottle a very thick and viscous copper amber. Basically what I would expect from a DFH DIPA. Dark and rich looking, with an absolutely perfect head. The head is creamy, very thick, and sticky. It laces with the best of them.

S: Very well integrated pine and grass. This one is not so much a citrus bomb, as it does not have the juicy grapefruit, papaya, and orange qualities of the West Coast IPAs. However, that is not to say those flavours are not there. But, it is just more heavy focused on a nice, bitter pine and grass, which is awesome. I do get the citrus qualities from the lemon peel added, which adds a nice citrus twang.

T: Equally as impressive as the nose. Very rich, creamy, hoppy, and malty. Just very well integrated. Really coats the mouth with the viscosity, that sends a blast of palate wrecking pine hops and bitter lemon. This is really a palate wrecker in every sense of the meaning. It does, however, have a nice caramel backing, which will come out more with age. But for now, this is all about the hops.

Overall, a great Double IPA. Glad to see Dogfish Head did not go overboard with odd ingredients, as this is one of my favourite beers of theirs.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

On tap at the brewpub.

Ap - a very cloudy golden color with a slightly pinkish hue. Kind of reminds me of a grapefruit. Small dusting of white bubbles.

Ar - hard to smell anything in here, but what I did get was citrus, a little sweet. Not a ton of malt quality to it.

T - at first it's a little bit of sweetness and pretty citrusy. The back if the mouth is all hops though. Not really bitter, although the bitterness is there. Kind of like Pliny in that respect, although this is more subdued. A little peppery, but I'm really not getting the lemon that they say is in there.

M - on tap at least it's a little over carbed for my tastes, but I like my beers on the lighter side of carbed. Medium-light body. A little bit of warmth in the throat is the only indication of it's 10% strength.

O - pretty good, definitely one of dogfish's better offerings recently. Not really a hop bomb, but solid and balanced. Very drinkable for it's strength, I would guess it was more in the 6% range. Looking forward to the bottle release of this one.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Nice golden honey color. Light, fluffy, bright white head that quickly shrinks into a nice lace. Small bubbles emanate from the bottom to keep the lace in tact.

S - At first sniff it was a little hard to differentiate the smells that were present. Upon further sniffing nice lemon hop aroma with an overall fruitiness.

T - Very awesome! The all centennial hoping gives it a very earthy citrus/lemon flavor. Backing up the earthy citrus is a fresh lemon flavor that is up front and also lingers. Finishes with a smooth lingering bitterness with elements of the fresh lemon.

M - A standard double IPA mouth feel. Slightly heavy but not overly cloying or sticky. The beer isn't boozy tasting, but the mouthfeel lets you know that this is a big beer. A bit too big to be a multiple glass beer, but still fairly easy to drink.

O - Very happy with the all centennial hoping! The addition of lemon was a great move. The hops and lemon meld into a great combined flavor. The only draw back to this beer is....it is a palate wrecker. By the end of my glass the lemon and hops had numbed my tongue. Truly a great numbing experience though.

Side note - Let this beer warm slightly...if it is too cold.. you miss a lot of the fun.

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

My wife and I are down in DE for a few days on vacation. She wanted to surprise me with a trip to the DFH brewpub for an afternoon of fun. The secret got out well before our trip.

From what I've read this is the second in the series of the Sony collaboration, a follow up to Miles Davis' Bitches Brew. I had not heard one peep of this brew prior to arriving. I was quite excited that it was on draft. Also pick up two 750ml bottles to take home. I was told that this is a production batch and that we will see it in stores.

Draft -> snifter

A - Light copper, big off white fluffy head, sticky lacing

S - Sweet sticky non-bitter hop notes, not much else

T - Surprisingly mild earthy hop notes up front. It has a sweet and juicy feel to it. Creamy sweet middle with some grapefruit notes, with a fading bitter finish. This is not the hop bomb I expected.

M - Medium to light-medium bodied, very light alcohol warmth.

O - Very good representation of the style. Much more fruity than I expected. This is an excellent alternative to the 90 min IPA if you dont want to the overwhelming bitter bops and alcohol. This clocks in at a slightly higher ABV but you wouldnt know it at all.

firstprev| 501-525 | 526-550 | 551-575  | next → last