Billy Budd - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Strong Ale |  14.00% ABV

Beer added by: Knapp85 on 05-11-2011

This brew-pub exclusive is a strong brown ale brewed with brown sugar, and dark roasty grain. We created it by combining our Indian Brown Ale, Palo Santo Marron, and an experimental batch of 120 Minute IPA brewed at the Rehoboth Beach brewpub by brewer Bryan Selders.

The name comes from a Melville story of the same name about a big strong sailor in the British Navy. This three thread ale has a deep brown color, with firm bitterness balanced by complex malt sweetness and roasted notes.

Ratings: 7 | Reviews: 1
4.82/5  rDev n/a

Surprised that no one added this on here by now. I had this brew on May 29th, 2010 at the brewpub Delaware. I knew it was on tap and I was hoping to get my lips on some when I arrived that night. This beer had a lot going for it. The thought of mixing three of DfH's top notch brews into one and adding some sweet brown sugar was a wonderful idea.

The beer comes out as a light brown color slightly transparent with yellowish tan head on it. The aromas on this are awesome, the huge citrus hops with the blend of wooden roasted notes from the Marron. The beer just smells amazing from start to finish. The taste really hits your mouth with a powerful punch of flavors. The flavors of the 120 minute rush in and bite the shit outta your tongue and then the IBA and Marron settling things down a bit with the additional sweetness of the brown sugar. This brew tastes like some sort of magical candy. The mouthfeel was on the thicker side which was very enjoyable. This was in my eyes one of the best beers I've had ever. To me everything was firing on all cylinders in this brew. Truly a captivating beer, and it will probably never be seen again...

Billy Budd from Dogfish Head Brewery
- out of 100 based on 7 ratings.