Tweason'ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

For our first new 12-ounce 4-packs in nearly half a decade, we replaced the classic barley foundation of beer with a mild sorghum base. The hints of molasses and pit-fruit are balanced by vibrant strawberry notes and a unique complexity that comes with the addition of a malty buckwheat honey.

We believe health-conscious beer drinkers and the millions of Americans who suffer from Celiac disease can cut back on gluten while relishing the distinction and drinkability of this very special brew.

(Beer added by: pwoody11 on 07-01-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tweason'ale Alström Bros

Bought a four pack in Denver, very interested and enjoyed the comical artwork on the pack. Didn't know what to expect. Also interesting that this was gluten free.

The appearance is very pleasant and just what I was expecting. Maybe even a bit nicer than expected. Has a light caramel and orange appearance and almost this very slight pinkish tone. The crisp white head dissipates fast but hangs around the edges.

Smells really good, sweet strawberries, a noticeable tartness intermingling with the pleasant touch of buckwheat honey. Almost candy like with a tad bit of caramel. Very clean smell, very floral... not heavy, more like walking into a florists cooler. Or getting that scent while you pass by.

Tastes great to me, especially for a gluten free beer. This is probably hands down the best gluten free beer I have ever had, too. Comes in with a very light grain taste, but then explodes into floral notes that swing in with slightly under ripe strawberries. A clean crisp, and very mild tartness that is fresh and pretty right on strawberry taste, definitely not imitation or candy. It's sweet but not too sweet, just a very even sweetness. I've had Belgian browns and darks that are sweeter than this. After the strawberry hits the earthiness and dryness of the buckwheat honey bursts in too. Just the intermingling of strawberry tartness and buckwheat earthiness... very nice. My only warning about this is that you v=really need to enjoy buckwheat honey, which is quite distinct from other honey.

Mouthfeel is perfect too, a little tart and dry but really, REALLY, clean and crisp. The carbonation is bright and cleans the palate. Not overly bubbly... just right and just what I had hoped for in a late summer/early autumn kind of beer.

Call me crazy (trust me, you won't be the first, nor will you be the last... so I don't care), but this is a pretty right on fruit beer that is also gluten free. I mean, if I couldn't have gluten I would load up on this brew. It's great. Dogfish did a great job on this one, great quality, great taste and all around pretty fair price for a very good four pack. If I see this again I am liable to by more without much thought. I'll be enjoying the rest in the weeks to come, that is for sure.

4.75/5  rDev +54.7%

4.75/5  rDev +54.7%

4.33/5  rDev +41%

Bought a 4 pack on a whim since I'm on a fruit beer/sour ale kick lately.

Poured gently into an Ommegang goblet, yielding a very brilliant tangerine/light maple hue. Transparent, without sediment, and a short lived fizzy white head of 1". No lacing in the glass. The bouquet is of much fruit, honey, and is there a touch of buckwheat in there? I didn't realize there was actually buckwheat used in the beer until I checked the bottle. Apples, strawberries, maybe a hint of lemon peel somewhere in there. The flavor is sweet in the forefront, with the honey and sweet fruit flavors shining first, then a train of sour apples and strawberries follow, finishing with a lasting sour tail and the slightly earthy tone of buckwheat honey. The grain profile is different for sure, but I can't quite describe it just now. It tastes like there's a bit of wheat in there but I can't really tell. What I do know is that it's quite light, effervescent, and a pleasure to drink.

4.28/5  rDev +39.4%