Tweason'ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: pwoody11 on 07-01-2011

For our first new 12-ounce 4-packs in nearly half a decade, we replaced the classic barley foundation of beer with a mild sorghum base. The hints of molasses and pit-fruit are balanced by vibrant strawberry notes and a unique complexity that comes with the addition of a malty buckwheat honey.

We believe health-conscious beer drinkers and the millions of Americans who suffer from Celiac disease can cut back on gluten while relishing the distinction and drinkability of this very special brew.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tweason'ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 293 | Hads: 1,296

Bought a four pack in Denver, very interested and enjoyed the comical artwork on the pack. Didn't know what to expect. Also interesting that this was gluten free.

The appearance is very pleasant and just what I was expecting. Maybe even a bit nicer than expected. Has a light caramel and orange appearance and almost this very slight pinkish tone. The crisp white head dissipates fast but hangs around the edges.

Smells really good, sweet strawberries, a noticeable tartness intermingling with the pleasant touch of buckwheat honey. Almost candy like with a tad bit of caramel. Very clean smell, very floral... not heavy, more like walking into a florists cooler. Or getting that scent while you pass by.

Tastes great to me, especially for a gluten free beer. This is probably hands down the best gluten free beer I have ever had, too. Comes in with a very light grain taste, but then explodes into floral notes that swing in with slightly under ripe strawberries. A clean crisp, and very mild tartness that is fresh and pretty right on strawberry taste, definitely not imitation or candy. It's sweet but not too sweet, just a very even sweetness. I've had Belgian browns and darks that are sweeter than this. After the strawberry hits the earthiness and dryness of the buckwheat honey bursts in too. Just the intermingling of strawberry tartness and buckwheat earthiness... very nice. My only warning about this is that you v=really need to enjoy buckwheat honey, which is quite distinct from other honey.

Mouthfeel is perfect too, a little tart and dry but really, REALLY, clean and crisp. The carbonation is bright and cleans the palate. Not overly bubbly... just right and just what I had hoped for in a late summer/early autumn kind of beer.

Call me crazy (trust me, you won't be the first, nor will you be the last... so I don't care), but this is a pretty right on fruit beer that is also gluten free. I mean, if I couldn't have gluten I would load up on this brew. It's great. Dogfish did a great job on this one, great quality, great taste and all around pretty fair price for a very good four pack. If I see this again I am liable to by more without much thought. I'll be enjoying the rest in the weeks to come, that is for sure.

4.32/5  rDev +36.3%

Bought a 4 pack on a whim since I'm on a fruit beer/sour ale kick lately.

Poured gently into an Ommegang goblet, yielding a very brilliant tangerine/light maple hue. Transparent, without sediment, and a short lived fizzy white head of 1". No lacing in the glass. The bouquet is of much fruit, honey, and is there a touch of buckwheat in there? I didn't realize there was actually buckwheat used in the beer until I checked the bottle. Apples, strawberries, maybe a hint of lemon peel somewhere in there. The flavor is sweet in the forefront, with the honey and sweet fruit flavors shining first, then a train of sour apples and strawberries follow, finishing with a lasting sour tail and the slightly earthy tone of buckwheat honey. The grain profile is different for sure, but I can't quite describe it just now. It tastes like there's a bit of wheat in there but I can't really tell. What I do know is that it's quite light, effervescent, and a pleasure to drink.

4.2/5  rDev +32.5%

This has to be rated in comparison to other gluten free beers. No gluten free beer is anywhere, compared to ordinary brews. My daughter, who enjoys a beer as much as anyone, found problems nagging her for years were due to gluten intolerance. That Dogfish Head waved its brewing wand and came up with this superior (for gluten free) beverage for people like her deserves commendation. I understand folks who may not have tried other gluten free beers, but this is a fine effort in that genre. Imagine you could not drink your fav brew, or any usual beer again, and you might be happy to down a Tweason’Ale occasionally.

4.2/5  rDev +32.5%

Reviewed from notes: Spontaneous trip to the brewpub was just what I needed.

appearance: hazy cloudy golden orange with a 1 finger white head

smell: citrus hops, strawberry, malts,

taste: citrus, strawberrry,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: i think this beer was done very well. nice and refreshing summertime beer. I would have to change the style from a fruit beer to a flavored pale ale but I'll ride with Pwoody since he was the first. all I can say is get to the brewpub before it gone.

4.18/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this on tap over the weekend at the brew pub in Rehobeth. It was fresh, clear and had a fantastic taste. The color was good and the smell showed the fruit added to the batch. I'd recommend it as a great medium bodied beer for the summer. It wasn't too heavy

4.17/5  rDev +31.5%

This is my first gluten free beer, I am very interested givne the ingredients and it is a Dogfish Head creation.

Appearance: Pours a bubbly, clear apple cider color with a minimal head.

Smell: honey blossom, flowery, frozen strawberries. Very springy.

Taste: surprisingly refreshing with strawberry jam notes, thin honey, grains, and a flash of watermelon.

I am very impressed and expect this to be a much better beer than RedBridge or Bard's, it almost tastes like a real beer!

4.12/5  rDev +30%

A: Golden hue with no lace
S: You can definitely smell the strawberries, sugar and honey. It smells amazing
T: First taste is strawberries with a hint of sugar, continuing with a taste of honey on the back end.
M: Very light and refreshing. I think this will be a perfect summer sipper.

O: Great fruit beer, I will be drinking many more of these!

4.12/5  rDev +30%

A: Pours copper with a fluffy white 2 finger head that sticks around like meringue

S: Strawberry, a sweet and sticky honey nut type aroma, some floral and other mixed berry notes

T: Tart and sour strawberry up front, little sweet notes of honey in the middle, and hint of like a bready/grainy aftertaste with some more sour.

O: Pretty interesting. A strawberry ale with hints of other things, overall pretty good. A nice and easy summer ale.

4.12/5  rDev +30%

A - Pours a fairly clear golden-orange with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a fairly quick pace leaving behind a bit of lace.

S - Aroma is a mix of strawberries with some honey, a touch of floral elements, some grains, and a touch of sourness.

T - Starts off with a kick of fresh strawberries, some honey, and a bit of grains. Through the middle, some more grains and bready flavor comes through alongside a hint of tart and sourness and some floral flavor. The finish is a mix of strawberries, sweet honey, and some grains.

M - Medium-light bodied with moderate carbonation. It feels smooth with sweet and lightly tart finish.

D - Very drinkable. Nicely balanced beer with some good flavor, especially considering it is gluten free. I like the strawberry flavor.

4.1/5  rDev +29.3%

This is definitely a style of beer I typically dont have so this is my first time actually having a beer like this. I get a pretty sour vinegar smell followed by bright strawberries and some breadiness.

You get a nice tangy taste strawberry taste on the front of the tongue followed by that vinegar sour taste and then on the aftertaste I get the strawberries and a yeasty taste as well.

Wow this is definitely a different beer and I'm actually glad I tried it because I like it. For a beer with no malt this is excellent. The body is bulked up by the honey and it also adds some sweetness to balance out the sour and tangy qualities this beer produces. This is definitely not for the typical beer drinkers and definitely for the more open minded beer drinkers.

4.08/5  rDev +28.7%

WTF is this? Gluten free brew made with strawberries, sorghum, and honey.

Server says its an ale. Never seen an ale like this. Went with fruit beer because of the strawberries. Hope thats cool with everyone.

Not much head on this. Maybe a quickly dissapating half finger at most. Very thick and cloudy grapefruit color.

Aroma is feint strawberry. Good humor strawberry bar thing is what it reminds me of the most.

Taste isnt near as sweet as nose would suggest, but the strawberry is def present.

Good stuff. Very refreshing. Beer was released at 12. Enjoyed at 1210. Wont piss off my wheat allergy either.

As a side note, apparently bottling this is in the pipeworks

Nutrition Facts on the label: Holy Shit Sam you've gone main stream...170 calories in a gluten free beer this isn't light beer. Certified Gluten Free, I haven't seen that on the other Celiac friendly beers. This one pours with a very fizzy carbonation forms a white head, while the body is a light pale copper with maybe a kiss of pink showing off the strawbeery juice added. Aroma is tame a hint of fruit, tart fruit but I can't really say strawberry from just the smell...also a bit of generic assorted grains with a touch of honey notes. Flavor wise it's kind of like kissing a strawberry blonde hippie chick that hasn't bathed in a few days there's just something not right about it. A layer of mint or earthiness, a little bit of a dirty layer of beeswax and buckwheat, tart strawberry jame like real jam minus the concentrated sugars. Even bodied carbonation finishes a bit strange and I can't believe it's six percent alcohol by volume, an interesting beer for all of the Celiac patients out there and I think chicks would have loved it if the calorie count was staring them in the face. Overall a nice attempt at a craft version of a gluten free beer that is palatable with a DFH spin.

Color- dark apple juice. No head.

Aroma- strawberry cider.

Taste- Starts with strawberry and granny smith apple and earth tones, mild honey sugars present in the mid-body, finishing with a subdued strawberry and grassy flavor with hint of pear cider. Bottle says "a gluten free sorghum-based ale with strawberries & buckwheat honey." Perhaps I'm partial to this unique beer because of my affinity for sour ales.

Poured from 355 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 9/28/2013.

I am usually game for fruit beers and for anything unusualy the Dogfishhead folks come up with, so here goes. It has a nice tartness that matures as you drink it - like a flavor-changing fruity adult beverage. That changing taste and aftertaste are really the only thing going here.

I wouldn't lump this in with beers or ales - although it has some origins in that realm. At least it isn't too unbalanced. I can't see drinking a second one and do not intend to buy this again.

3.99/5  rDev +25.9%

Dogfish head tweason ale is a good summer beer, very nice strawberry smell, easy on the mouth with a nice strawberry and honey taste. If you like the fruit/vegetable beer, it is worth a try. Dogfish head never disappoints!

3.98/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

I've been interested in trying a gluten free beer that has a chance of being alright. Pours a bubbly, light amber color with a very small head. The aroma? My cat likes it! He came right over and started sniffing the bottle and glass. I like it too. It's a strawberry and honey sweetness. The taste? It's actually quite good! If I developed a gluten sensitivity and had been drinking something like Redbridge, this would be a straight revelation.

I'm not though, so it's just a good fruit beer. It's got nice tart strawberries tempered a bit by the honey. The late taste is this beer's highlight, as it goes down initially there's just a strange sort of sweetness that I'd like to attribute to the sorghum, even though I'm not really sure how it actually tastes. Then the tartness of the strawberries rushes in and keeps things interesting. The mouthfeel is a little bit chalky, but is otherwise well-carbonated and drying. The drinkability is very good, 6% isn't a high ABV by any means, but it hides any hint really that this is alcoholic at all. Overall, a very interesting and good tasting beer. I might go back and pick up a six-pack with the warmer weather we're having in Florida right now. I'm sure I'll get one during the spring and summer releases!

3.97/5  rDev +25.2%

A: Brilliantly clear amber, with thin lines of carbonation streaming to a thin white head. The head is very small, but the beer looks great.

S: I can definitely smell a mead-like scent to this beer. Sniffing it actually presents a strawberry scent too, which is awesome. There are some floral notes, which work well with the strawberry scent.

T: The strawberry flavor is very subdued, but it comes through. I get a light...almost bready flavor but it's hard to describe. The flavor in this is very, very light. It tastes like an extremely light session beer, but is surprisingly 6.0%. The flavor of strawberry is not like the way it tastes when biting into a strawberry, but the part near the top where the leaves are.

M: The mouthfeel is extremely light. I think it would taste better with some more body.

O: Overall it's a great light flavored beer. It's something to drink when it's really hot out, or when looking for a beer that isn't going to overpower the flavor of something light like a salad or fish. I would buy it again, and I think it's amazing that it's gluten-free...it's going into the memory bank of beers to recommend to people with gluten allergies.

3.95/5  rDev +24.6%

Poured an absolutely clear tangerine color with a finger of bright white head. Aroma of honey and sweet strawberries -- this one isn't kidding about the fruit component.

Moderate carbonation and a light mouthfeel. Strawberries up front followed by wheaty notes (though obviously there isn't any) and a fuller, sweeter honey/berry quality on the finish.

Actually enjoyed this one quite a bit...maybe a little too strawberry-dominated, but it doesn't come across too artificial or cloying. Gives Festina Pêche a run for its summer money!

3.95/5  rDev +24.6%

The beer pours an incredibly clear, dark amber with a slightly reddish tint. There is no head nor lacing, but it still looks incredibly elegant. The smell is quite interesting with a subtle fruitiness and some strange grain notes from the buckwheat (?). The nose carries through to provide a slightly sweet fruit beer with almost no bitterness/alcohol. It's definitely unique and unlike any other beers I've tried.
The mouthfeel is an effervescent fruitiness overshadowed by syrupy sweetness.
Still, it's quite drinkable, reasonably priced, and worth trying.

3.94/5  rDev +24.3%

12 oz. bottle, bottled on date reads 11/06/2012. Bought this as a single at the local beer store, and I am excited to try it. Haven't had a Dogfish Head beer in a while, and this is one I haven't tried before.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a nice cloudy orange color with some bubble action. Head is a thin quarter inch cap of white fizz which disappears instantly.

S - Fruity sweetness. Can definitely smell the strawberry. Honey. Brown sugar. Apple cider / wine like smell. More berry. Smells very enticing.

T - Crisp, tart, light bodied. Apples. Cider / wine like tartness again. Not a lot of prominent strawberry, but there is a berry taste that hangs on as strong as it can, I guess. I am in love with the tartness, and wish it had more. Very natural and delicious, though.

M - Quick, clean, crisp, tart, dry finish. Slightly sticky sugar aftertaste.

Overall, a job well done by the folks over at Dogfish Head. This beer is a pleasant treat for our gluten intolerant friends, although it stands on it's own as a tasty and satisfying beer. One I would definitely buy again.

Dogfish Head Tweason'ale ---4/5.

3.92/5  rDev +23.7%

Review from notes.

A: Served in a pint glass, this beer was red/pink with what I can only describe as tan colored pulp (even though there was none). Unlike any beer I had seen so far. Small tan head that was gone quickly with very little lacing.

S: Mostly strawberries on the aroma a bit of honey sweetness.

T: Better than I expected for a gluten-free strawberry beer. Ripe strawberry flavor, not overly sweet with slight bitter/citrus hops.

M: Medium bodied with low to medium carbonation. Drank rather smoothly.

O: Quite enjoyable. It was a hot day and it was very refreshing. Not overbearingly sweet.

3.92/5  rDev +23.7%

Had on-tap at the DFH brewpub in DE. Poured a hazy golden orange color with a moderate white head that mostly receded leaving spotty lacing. Had an aroma of strawberries, citrus and light floral notes. Tasted a little bit earthy and floral, though most of the flavor was strawberries and citrus. Very sessionable.

Body was on the light side of medium with fairly high carbonation. Very refreshing beer that I think I would enjoy more on a Summer day than in Winter.

3.91/5  rDev +23.3%

I typically don't like fruity tasting beer but this one seemed fine to me. It finished well as opposed to other beers that I have tried with fruit in them.

3.9/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottled on 01/22/13

Poured into a pint glass.

Look: Pours a copper color with almost no head. (I should have got violent with it) There doesn't seem like much lacing, not sure if that's just how the brew is, or my glass is messed up, or what. Nothing special, so I give it my usual "good" of 3.75.

Aroma: At first there was a lot! I was getting the obvious whiff of strawberry, but more like a Jolly Rancher type strawberry, probably the honey that's in there that is doing that. Didn't pick up on the honey too much, and there wasn't time. After about two minutes, the aroma just straight up died. So I can't really say what else is suppose to be there. It gets a 3.75 for the initial burst of smell, which was awesome, but not any higher, as I didn't get to enjoy it.

Taste: My first thoughts were watered down Strawberry Kool-Aid. (That sounds bad, but to me, it was pretty good.) After a bit of warmth, the malty-likeness comes through in the honey. I wish I had more experience with Sorghum in brews, as it seems like it's interesting. (Just not sure if that's what is making it interesting!)

Feel: A weird combination of crisp and light, with something heavier. It finishes heavy. But the first sip is like Sprite. No detection of the mild ABV.

Overall: I had no idea what to expect with this one, and it's a very solid fruit beer. I've only found a couple of others that I genuinely like, and I'll now add this one to the list. Nothing outstanding that'll make me search it out, but when I'm in the mood, and it's in my field of vision, I won't hesitate to pick it up.

3.88/5  rDev +22.4%

I've had a few sorghum-based beers before, and I will be honest: I didn't enjoy any of them... This is seriously the first that I've liked at all.

Normally gluten-free beer fucks up because it TRIES to be like regular beer, a feat it simply cannot properly accomplish. This beer succeeds much better because it doesn't fall into that trap-- instead, it becomes more like a sparkling strawberry cider, sweet and fruity, with an interesting dry maltiness.

Well carbonated and light in body, this is a "beer" to suit a wine cooler fan.

Overall-- gluten free or not, I've had worse. Maybe I'm a sucker for a fruit beer, but I don't hate this. It's not one I'll be buying regularly by any stretch, but it isn't one I'd shun either.

Tweason'ale from Dogfish Head Brewery