Tweason'ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

For our first new 12-ounce 4-packs in nearly half a decade, we replaced the classic barley foundation of beer with a mild sorghum base. The hints of molasses and pit-fruit are balanced by vibrant strawberry notes and a unique complexity that comes with the addition of a malty buckwheat honey.

We believe health-conscious beer drinkers and the millions of Americans who suffer from Celiac disease can cut back on gluten while relishing the distinction and drinkability of this very special brew.

(Beer added by: pwoody11 on 07-01-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tweason'ale Alström Bros
Nightrain87

02-13-2012 07:17:24 | More by Nightrain87
avalon07

South Carolina

3.08/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden yellow color and a clear consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Very little lacing.

S: Not huge aroma here, but some strawberry and malt were evident.

T: Tasted of strawberry, honey, and some malt. Mostly this was a thin, uninteresting beer. Either the strawberry and honey didn't work well together, or there wasn't enough of them. Not a great flavor.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a creamy finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This might be my least favorite Dogfish Head beer. It seems like a half-formed idea of a beer.

02-12-2012 12:46:56 | More by avalon07
Stinkypuss

3.6/5  rDev +17.3%

Dogfish Head
Tweason'ale

Pours a light clear golden color with a small fizzy head. In the aroma, fresh strawberries and a mint like herbal note. The taste is similar, tasty strawberries, gummy sorghum, a touch of herb, spice, bitters, and finishes sweet. Not too beery, but a little alcohol. Comes off a bit winecooler-esque, but a good one. Refreshing flavor. Light bodied, fizzy feel. Overall, this is a great option for those with gluten allergies. Tastes like a more commercial flavored malt beverage, sans malt.

02-12-2012 07:41:06 | More by Stinkypuss
grittybrews

Washington

3.95/5  rDev +28.7%

Poured an absolutely clear tangerine color with a finger of bright white head. Aroma of honey and sweet strawberries -- this one isn't kidding about the fruit component.

Moderate carbonation and a light mouthfeel. Strawberries up front followed by wheaty notes (though obviously there isn't any) and a fuller, sweeter honey/berry quality on the finish.

Actually enjoyed this one quite a bit...maybe a little too strawberry-dominated, but it doesn't come across too artificial or cloying. Gives Festina Pêche a run for its summer money!

02-12-2012 05:01:24 | More by grittybrews
brotherloco

02-12-2012 04:37:34 | More by brotherloco
bluejacket74

3.55/5  rDev +15.6%

12 ounce bottle, bottled on 1/30/12. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The brew smells like strawberries, honey, and there's also a grainy aroma. The taste is pretty much just like the aroma, but there's also a slight green grape/white wine-like flavor noticeable. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, and it has decent carbonation. Overall I think it's a decent enough brew. For a gluten-free beer, it's not bad at all. I'd buy it again, it is refreshing and easy to drink. $8.99 for a 4-pack.

02-12-2012 00:36:32 | More by bluejacket74

PEIhop

02-11-2012 20:07:05 | More by PEIhop
natemort13

3.25/5  rDev +5.9%

Picked this up for my gluten-free roommate, figured i'd give it a shot.

Beer pours a pale straw gold with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates into one solid ring around the glass.

I get a bunch of sugary honey on the nose...similar to the honey character i've gotten in midas' touch. Then some berry notes with a slight grain character in the background to balance it out.

Taste is very similar to apple juice. Lot of fruit that fades into a weak grainy finish with some alcohol. Not much going on here.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin without much carbonation. Works for a watery weak beer like this.

Overall I like the honey and berry characteristics but I feel like they aren't supported by the malt bill. Very watery on the taste. This is my first sorghum so I don't have anything to hold it up against, but maybe people with gluten allergies just weren't meant to drink beer.

02-11-2012 05:25:36 | More by natemort13
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

Nutrition Facts on the label: Holy Shit Sam you've gone main stream...170 calories in a gluten free beer this isn't light beer. Certified Gluten Free, I haven't seen that on the other Celiac friendly beers. This one pours with a very fizzy carbonation forms a white head, while the body is a light pale copper with maybe a kiss of pink showing off the strawbeery juice added. Aroma is tame a hint of fruit, tart fruit but I can't really say strawberry from just the smell...also a bit of generic assorted grains with a touch of honey notes. Flavor wise it's kind of like kissing a strawberry blonde hippie chick that hasn't bathed in a few days there's just something not right about it. A layer of mint or earthiness, a little bit of a dirty layer of beeswax and buckwheat, tart strawberry jame like real jam minus the concentrated sugars. Even bodied carbonation finishes a bit strange and I can't believe it's six percent alcohol by volume, an interesting beer for all of the Celiac patients out there and I think chicks would have loved it if the calorie count was staring them in the face. Overall a nice attempt at a craft version of a gluten free beer that is palatable with a DFH spin.

02-11-2012 03:39:03 | More by WVbeergeek
jaasen64

3.13/5  rDev +2%

A- Translucent reddish gold, very little head, a little bit above average carbonation.

S- Strong smell of strawberries and mix of other vegetables and fruit. Fairly sweet with slight honey smell.

T- Strawberries, a little bit of a white wine taste.

M- Light bodied, drinkable, decent carbonation.

O- I wasn't overly impressed with this beer, one of my least favorite DFH beers. It wasn't overly filled with flavor, and the flavor it did have was kind of a watered down strawberry white wine flavor. Not really my style of beer, but I could maybe see how some people might like it.

02-11-2012 03:10:33 | More by jaasen64
gcotts

02-11-2012 01:53:16 | More by gcotts
Chaney

District of Columbia

3.45/5  rDev +12.4%

I have a hunch that the reason the scores are so low on here is because a) this is gluten free b) because it's Dogfish Head... the brewery everyone else seems to love to hate due to their success.

A: Fairly clear, and with a carbonation bill that appeared more reminiscent of a cider rather than a beer. The color itself resembled a melted orange popsicle, with a hint of red food coloring.

S: Once again.... cider - it had that sugary consistency on the nose to my mind. I'm not familiar with buckwheat honey, but this totally smells like both buckwheat and honey. I wouldn't have guess strawberry as the fruit of the day here.... more like apples and-or pears.

T: Okay, I got the same signature DFH taste profile that I always get on Sam's historic, gourmet entries: honey, wheat, and melted Jolly Rancher. In this case though, the sweetness is VERY bleached out and wasn't cloying at all. I started to get hints of strawberry the more I sipped.... especially at the end. A tad watery, but still good.

M: More gelatinous as opposed to spritzy texture-wise. Like I said, the sweetness was disciplined, but the fruit notes still popped. I got more of an impression of honey rather than the actual product. Absolutely no lacing whatsoever and very little in terms of carbonation.

O: So I guess DFH is going to produce this one several times a year during between seasons (hence the name "Tweason'ale." This was good but not great. However, those of you who love ciders as opposed to beer are going to love it!

02-10-2012 20:53:57 | More by Chaney
prg1976

02-10-2012 20:31:45 | More by prg1976
nlmartin

2.55/5  rDev -16.9%

This beer was served cold in a Imperial Pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is clear golden coloration. The head of the beer is thin white with no retention.

S- The beer truly smells like honeyed strawberry jam very floral in the background.

T- Taste far better than I expected. The beer has a buckwheat pancake flavor covered in semi sweet strawberry jam just a flash of cloves breaking up sweetness.

M- The body of the beer is light and well carbonated. Kind of reminds me of a malturnative. The beer needs a more active carbonation.

O- Nowhere near as good as I hoped and not as bad as I feared. An ok experience but not one to seek out again. Back to the drawing board DFH.

02-10-2012 14:13:41 | More by nlmartin
GRG1313

2.5/5  rDev -18.6%

02-10-2012 01:20:43 | More by GRG1313
thecheapies

3.13/5  rDev +2%

Pristinely clear golden color with a tidbit head of little strength. No aspect impressing.

Certainly an interesting syrupy malt aroma tied into red berry fruits. Jammy strawberry nose with a buckwheat pancake malt package.

Tangy white wine upfront with some metallic/citric acidities. A little white raspberry and donut peach. More jammy berry preserves in the aftertaste. The malts thinned out in the flavor. Some celery and green bitterness that might come from the hops, or might not. I might have to say that I'm not a fan of the malt profile of sorghum.

Clean, crisp, drinkable, and best served cold. Spritzy and thin. Not sticky.

This is interesting, to say the most. Not my style, nor my flavor. I like the effort, and at least it's gluten-free, right? I dunno. I'll just avoid this one from here on out.

02-09-2012 04:20:53 | More by thecheapies
bbeane

2.88/5  rDev -6.2%

A- Poured into a Duvel tulip... starts with a white fizzy head that disappears almost as quickly as it appeared. Beer is a light amber color with light activity

S- Not as aromatic as I expected based on the reviews I read prior to opening. Does have a definitive strawberry aroma, very similar to that of strawberry chapstick... though not quite as intense

T- I'm not sure if there will eventually be a gluten free beer category on the site, but I feel it might be a good idea. I've never heard anyone say that they had a gluten free beer that they enjoyed, so I went into this one expecting a horrible tasting beer masked with strawberries and honey... pretty much what I got in my opinion. It's missing certain qualities that I can't quite determine that make it taste like beer, though the strawberry flavor that's present makes it almost enjoyable

M- Light bodied with light carbonation

O- Definitely not my thing. I just read an article that the hot new thing this year is going to be gluten free beers, which I'm all for as there seems to be a fairly decent demand for the category. I also feel that there should be a separate category for these if there are in fact more in the works from other breweries. Maybe this one would be at the top of the list for gluten free beers, but as for the Fruit / Vegetable Beer category, it just doesn't cut it

CHEERS

02-09-2012 02:46:07 | More by bbeane
jpd7374

02-09-2012 01:25:14 | More by jpd7374
daverdave

02-09-2012 00:35:54 | More by daverdave
Jimbeezee

4.1/5  rDev +33.6%

A: Golden hue with no lace
S: You can definitely smell the strawberries, sugar and honey. It smells amazing
T: First taste is strawberries with a hint of sugar, continuing with a taste of honey on the back end.
M: Very light and refreshing. I think this will be a perfect summer sipper.

O: Great fruit beer, I will be drinking many more of these!

02-09-2012 00:33:22 | More by Jimbeezee
MaxSpang

3.7/5  rDev +20.5%

Served in a DFH signature glass.

APPEARANCE

Beautiful stuff - it's a crystal clear honey-blonde color. The head was small and didn't stick around. There was a bunch of visible carbonation along the sides of the glass and floating around. Very thirst-enducing!

SMELL

The strawberry comes through and creates a nice, refreshing aroma. It's followed by an unusual earthy aroma, which isn't good or bad. The honey is subtle, but present. Overall a nice smelling fruit beer.

TASTE

Interesting flavors! The strawberry comes out, bringing some nice sweetness and tartness. There's sort of a spicey character, not quite Belgian but more like fresh ginger. There's some slight earthiness in there, but not as much as the nose. A yeasty flavor comes through as it warms. It's almost like carbonated grape juice in terms of flavor.

MOUTHFEEL

This is a really light beverage. There isn't much body to it, which makes it extremely easy drinking. It doesn't feel like beer. It feels more like champagne or even soda due to the dryness and the high carbonation.

OVERALL

Not a bad brew in the least bit! I grabbed a whole 4 pack, and I'm glad that I did. It's got some really nice flavors and is super easy to drink, so this is a beverage for both people who like beer as well as people who don't. It drinks like a soda and kicks like a beer!

Cheers.