1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Tweason'ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Tweason'aleTweason'ale

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

For our first new 12-ounce 4-packs in nearly half a decade, we replaced the classic barley foundation of beer with a mild sorghum base. The hints of molasses and pit-fruit are balanced by vibrant strawberry notes and a unique complexity that comes with the addition of a malty buckwheat honey.

We believe health-conscious beer drinkers and the millions of Americans who suffer from Celiac disease can cut back on gluten while relishing the distinction and drinkability of this very special brew.

(Beer added by: pwoody11 on 07-01-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tweason'ale Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +33.6%

A: Golden hue with no lace
S: You can definitely smell the strawberries, sugar and honey. It smells amazing
T: First taste is strawberries with a hint of sugar, continuing with a taste of honey on the back end.
M: Very light and refreshing. I think this will be a perfect summer sipper.

O: Great fruit beer, I will be drinking many more of these!

Jimbeezee, Feb 09, 2012
3.7/5  rDev +20.5%

Served in a DFH signature glass.

APPEARANCE

Beautiful stuff - it's a crystal clear honey-blonde color. The head was small and didn't stick around. There was a bunch of visible carbonation along the sides of the glass and floating around. Very thirst-enducing!

SMELL

The strawberry comes through and creates a nice, refreshing aroma. It's followed by an unusual earthy aroma, which isn't good or bad. The honey is subtle, but present. Overall a nice smelling fruit beer.

TASTE

Interesting flavors! The strawberry comes out, bringing some nice sweetness and tartness. There's sort of a spicey character, not quite Belgian but more like fresh ginger. There's some slight earthiness in there, but not as much as the nose. A yeasty flavor comes through as it warms. It's almost like carbonated grape juice in terms of flavor.

MOUTHFEEL

This is a really light beverage. There isn't much body to it, which makes it extremely easy drinking. It doesn't feel like beer. It feels more like champagne or even soda due to the dryness and the high carbonation.

OVERALL

Not a bad brew in the least bit! I grabbed a whole 4 pack, and I'm glad that I did. It's got some really nice flavors and is super easy to drink, so this is a beverage for both people who like beer as well as people who don't. It drinks like a soda and kicks like a beer!

Cheers.

MaxSpang, Feb 08, 2012

bigfnjoe, Feb 08, 2012

rusty3335, Feb 08, 2012

nmann08, Feb 07, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clean orange-ish color with a white head. In the aroma, dry honey, clove, and a small note of fruit. In the taste, dry honey, sugary, and a small note of fruit, but strawberries stand out. A small bite and medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry strawberry to small honey like aftertaste. A bit dry and the honey seems to be a bit too much.

OWSLEY069, Feb 07, 2012
3.23/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle.

A: Very bright golden color. Lightly orange hue to it.

S: The nose is a very dry cider sort of smell.

T: It almost reminds me of a BNektar Mead I tried recently on the palate. The honey is there on the finish as well as a very subtle Strawberry flavor. If anyone has ever had BNektar's Strawberry Pizazz that would be a 14% version of this beer. Though this beer is not as sweet. I thought it might be sweeter but it is pretty dry and palatable. Overall this is the most pleasant Gluten-Free beer I've tasted. Most are just bland and tasteless, at least this has some character.

M: Very carbonated. Reminds me of a cider or sparkling wine.

O: Overall, I think they accomplished creating a great Gluten-Free beer for people who are left out of a giant array of beers that we who can drink gluten typically enjoy. This still isn't my thing.. but I respect the breweries efforts here. At least I was able to finish the beer unlike a lot of Gluten Free offerings.

neobob187, Feb 07, 2012

TimoP, Feb 07, 2012

jwat, Feb 06, 2012

funkel81, Feb 06, 2012

PostVinyl, Feb 06, 2012

nickhiller, Feb 05, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +14%

12oz into Bruery snifter tulip glass.
Bottled 1/25/12

A: Pours a really really clear light orange pink color.   About a half finger of white head.  Leaves quickly.  Not a lot of lacing or alcohol feet.

S: Weird smells.  I definitely get that strawberry and honey sweetness.  There is maybe a little tart notes from the fruit.

T: I can't believe that I am saying this, but it's not that bad for the style that is.  I get a little fruit tartness on the tip of the tongue.  In the middle of the mouth I get a lot of activity: tart fruit, sweet strawberry, mild malt, etc.  The close is nice and dry like a white wine.

M: Light to medium.

O: B

inlimbo77, Feb 05, 2012

deapokid, Feb 05, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Love the ingredients list and nutrition facts on the label.

A real shampoo and soapy white head that fizzes and falls very quickly, settling down into a small collar. Body color is a real nice red golden honey and bronze, crystal clear, with some slow center column rising carbonation.

Nose is some light bready malts, some faint fruit sweetness and honey. The fruit angle doesn't really scream it's a small subtle strawberry.

Palate is very watery and fleeting. Bready malts matching on the nose follow through with a very strawberry finish. A sense of crispness and carbonation is there but is very flattened by a wet body. Like similar gluten free beers, this lacks body and density.

Overall, if this wasn't gluten free I might even enjoy it more, but it's not too bad but I wont be seeking it out anytime soon.

smakawhat, Feb 04, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +14%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- pours a golden orange/pink, very translucent, no haze at all, a half finger white, super bubbly/spritzy head diminishes quickly and leaves no lacing, reminds me of a rose wine almost.

S- light strawberrys and honey, and an earthy funk that I'm assuming is sorghum again I am reminded of a rose wine.

T- honey up front settling into a nice strawberry flavor, akin to the flavor of a light rose wine cooler, like boones farm strawberry hill, except made with fresh ingredients, a natural flavors. The strawberry had a nice natural taste to it and works well with the honey and sorghum.

M- smooth and light bodied, when held in the mouth you get very effervescent carbonation, lots of tight little carbonation bubbles can be felt bursting around, almost champagne light, but a little more mild. Finishes crisp.

O- a very subtle, drinkable beer, not like a lot of dogfish beers that focus on being over the top, I could see this being nice on a hot summer day, although it is deffinatley a bit girly for my taste. I am not a silliac, and I kinda wonder how somone who is would enjoy this, seems like it would be a great alternative, especially if you were a girl. Or a guy who likes light, spritzy, strawberryish drinks.

PeterIngemi, Feb 04, 2012

rab53, Feb 04, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +25.4%

Purchased a 4pk at Wegmans in Warrington, PA. As a fan of DFH, I decided to give this beer a try since it was something new. Being gluten-free and a fruit beer, I wasn't sure what to expect.

Purchase price: $9.99/4pk

Enjoyed in a DFH Signature Glass

A - Pours a reddish, amber color. Totally translucent. A one finger, very fizzy and quickly dissipating head on the initial pour. No lacing left on the side of the glass after completing.

S - A faint fruity smell. Reminded me of what a wine cooler smells like.

T - A very different type of beer. A slightly tart, artificial tasting sweet flavor. I can make out the strawberry and honey flavors to a slight extent. I can't get past how much this taste like a wine cooler. It kind of grows on you after a few sips. Very light tasting, super easy to drink. The alcohol is barely noticeable.

M - A very fizzy mouthfeel. Very thin consistency.

O - I have to applaud DFH for having the gumption to put out a gluten-free beer. Being known for their more aggressive beers, this is about as non-aggressive as you can get. This is really not my style but it is tasty. My wife and step-daughter enjoyed it which says a lot. They normally dislike DFH beers due to the ones I normally drink (DFH 60, 90, Burton Baton, Palo Santo) which are very hoppy and bitter. This one was met with "Not bad...I like this".

Cheers!

BuxMontBeerLover, Feb 03, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +22.1%

A single bottle into a DFH curved pint glass.

Tweason'ale goes into the glass a very bright golden orange with a very clear look with no haze. The bubbles build to a finger of off white foam that makes a ring around the glass, no lace.

Smell is pungent with ripe strawberry and a cidery smell with some apple. A rubbery scent comes in with some sniffs. All of this drowned out the honey. Don't get any hops in here.

As with 90% of DFH beer, this is weird. Comes off as a fruity cider as the nose would suggest. The strawberry flavor is large yet not artificial. I can't quite put my finger on this as Im not a gluten Free drinker.

Feel is light with a Spritzy feel on the 1st sips, yet this just sort of whimpers away. Feeling this less and less as it warms. Overall, glad I tried this for a go, but won't be seeing it again, just not my bag.

BARFLYB, Feb 03, 2012
3.38/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz. bottle, found this by surprise at BevMo Cypress so I had to try it, new Dogfish head, great label,

A: Pours an onion skin orange with a touch of Tavel pink. Great colour. Very clear. Minimal fizzy white head, with fair retention leaving no lace.

S: Smells like strawberries and honey. Not a pungent nose, but the aromas I expected are here.

T: Quite fruity upfront with strawberries and orange peel, with some carbonic acid which is unfortunate but doesn't ruin the beer. I really like the semi-sweet almost grainy taste of the honey on the back end holding everything together.

M: Very light-bodied and fizzy, like a semi-flat soda. Mild aftertaste of fruit but disappears quick.

O: I've certainly had better gluten free beers than this (Mbege and Shakparo from Sprecher come to mind, which I think are vastly underrated), but this has a unique flavour profile which distinguishes it from your everyday hunky dory gluten free beer and all beer for that matter. The flavours are good, the beer is thin, frankly I think some gluten would help it to add some body, but that's not what Dogfish Head set out to do so I will review as such. At $9.99/4-pack, the QPR is not great, but for celiacs I think this is a worthy effort to try, and for the regular beer consumer, it wouldn't hurt to try a single to change up the repertoire.

Halcyondays, Jan 29, 2012

Chriscap9, Jan 29, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -16.9%

On tap at the Hulmeville 1/26/2012

Kind of looks like any light beer no head to comment on.
Smell strawberry
Taste like drinking a strawberry shortcake doll
Mouth feel smooth easy to drink

To fruity for me not a big fan of real fruity beer but if you cant have gluten then mos def try it.

Cuso, Jan 27, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +14%

I picked this up a few days ago at BevMo.

Appearance- light orange color, no head

Smell- strawberries

Taste- mostly strawberries

Mouthfeel- light bodied

Drinkability- It was pretty good. Not the best but still pretty good. I would drink it again.

jeffjeff1, Jan 26, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +14%

Made the trek to Churchkey specifically for this one. It was a DFH tap take –over. This was the first gluten free beer I’d ever tried and I was really surprised.

A – Poured a burnt orange with a ½ finger white head which dissipated almost instantly. No real lacing present.

S – Very light strawberry smell and that was it.

T – Had some funkiness to it which I didn’t expect. Got some honey and strawberry too.

M – All the flavors did play nicely with each other. It’s a nice medium bodied beer, a little light on the carbonation.

O – I was unsure what to expect but I really liked this and would drink it again. It be interesting to try from the bottle to see if there are any differences.

cps98, Jan 25, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a very clear copper orange with just a little bit of foam that quickly faded to a ring of soapy bubbles around the glass.
S- I can pick up the strawberries mostly, but also a sort of honey like aroma, kind of like a tea sweetened with honey. Its not my favorite aroma but I think strawberries are a hard fruit to use in a beer.
T - very light flavor, faint strawberry, a little bit of grain but not much else. The strawberry seems to come through more in the finish.
M/D - light bodied with some lively carbonation. The flavor is there and is a nice alternative for for a gluten free, actually by far the best choice that i've had so far. For what it is, its a decent beer.

mikereaser, Jan 21, 2012