Tweason'ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

For our first new 12-ounce 4-packs in nearly half a decade, we replaced the classic barley foundation of beer with a mild sorghum base. The hints of molasses and pit-fruit are balanced by vibrant strawberry notes and a unique complexity that comes with the addition of a malty buckwheat honey.

We believe health-conscious beer drinkers and the millions of Americans who suffer from Celiac disease can cut back on gluten while relishing the distinction and drinkability of this very special brew.

(Beer added by: pwoody11 on 07-01-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tweason'ale Alström Bros

Bottled 30JAN12

Pours an orange ale with the slightest pink twinge to it. Some white foam and spotty lace. Brilliant clarity. Smells like a light beer with strawberries and honey - really simple. A pleasant nose with nice subtly. Taste is interestingly fruity - the strawberries are there, slightly tart and effervescent. There is a certain woody flavor along with the honey, which is slight and just barely perceptible. Thin with hi carb and a wet finish. It's an okay beer, but not something I am likely to seek out again. Interesting concept and reminds me more that I drink the bottle, of the flavor I get in Quaker Instant Strawberries and Cream oatmeal (but WAY more subtle, more like an undertow).

harrymel, Feb 13, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +15.3%

Bottled on 1/30/12, pretty damn fresh.

Poured into a DFH over sized wine glass.

Nice clarity to a thin brew. Shimmery bright copper though the clarity makes this seem a lighter shade than pure copper. In darker light this takes on reddish hues. It was tough coaxing any head out of this one though some large bubbles ring the glass indefinitely.

The aroma is the best part of the beer. Strawberry is light - never artificial or awkward - but immediately apparent. There's a floury bent to things, and the honey actually comes through nicely as well.

The flavor is certainly fruity, though the strawberry isn't super distinct - sort of like if you didn't know what fruit was used here you might mistake it for something else. The fruitiness has a jam-like quality to it, and the honey lends a syrupy sweetness. The DFH website claims molasses flavors in the sorghum they used, but I am not getting anything that dark or heavy in my bottle.

There's also a mild tartness - a residual effect of adding so much fruit I suppose - but it actually works well. I'd love to see this brewed with both strawberry and rhubarb to really play on the sour factor and add some more depth to the flavor.

Thin bodied beer with a chewy/syrupy feel.

Overall much better than I expected - though this is also my first ever gluten-free beer. For what it is I feel it is a success, but I don't foresee myself desiring to purchase more in the near future. Should I ever fall prey to a disease that required I only consume gluten-free food though, well, I suppose that I wouldn't mind sipping on this regularly.

Spider889, Feb 13, 2012

Nightrain87, Feb 13, 2012
3.08/5  rDev 0%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden yellow color and a clear consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Very little lacing.

S: Not huge aroma here, but some strawberry and malt were evident.

T: Tasted of strawberry, honey, and some malt. Mostly this was a thin, uninteresting beer. Either the strawberry and honey didn't work well together, or there wasn't enough of them. Not a great flavor.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a creamy finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This might be my least favorite Dogfish Head beer. It seems like a half-formed idea of a beer.

avalon07, Feb 12, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dogfish Head
Tweason'ale

Pours a light clear golden color with a small fizzy head. In the aroma, fresh strawberries and a mint like herbal note. The taste is similar, tasty strawberries, gummy sorghum, a touch of herb, spice, bitters, and finishes sweet. Not too beery, but a little alcohol. Comes off a bit winecooler-esque, but a good one. Refreshing flavor. Light bodied, fizzy feel. Overall, this is a great option for those with gluten allergies. Tastes like a more commercial flavored malt beverage, sans malt.

Stinkypuss, Feb 12, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +28.2%

Poured an absolutely clear tangerine color with a finger of bright white head. Aroma of honey and sweet strawberries -- this one isn't kidding about the fruit component.

Moderate carbonation and a light mouthfeel. Strawberries up front followed by wheaty notes (though obviously there isn't any) and a fuller, sweeter honey/berry quality on the finish.

Actually enjoyed this one quite a bit...maybe a little too strawberry-dominated, but it doesn't come across too artificial or cloying. Gives Festina Pêche a run for its summer money!

grittybrews, Feb 12, 2012

brotherloco, Feb 12, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, bottled on 1/30/12. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The brew smells like strawberries, honey, and there's also a grainy aroma. The taste is pretty much just like the aroma, but there's also a slight green grape/white wine-like flavor noticeable. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, and it has decent carbonation. Overall I think it's a decent enough brew. For a gluten-free beer, it's not bad at all. I'd buy it again, it is refreshing and easy to drink. $8.99 for a 4-pack.

bluejacket74, Feb 12, 2012

Lantern, Feb 11, 2012

christopheraknox, Feb 11, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

Donsmitty, Feb 11, 2012

PEIhop, Feb 11, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Picked this up for my gluten-free roommate, figured i'd give it a shot.

Beer pours a pale straw gold with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates into one solid ring around the glass.

I get a bunch of sugary honey on the nose...similar to the honey character i've gotten in midas' touch. Then some berry notes with a slight grain character in the background to balance it out.

Taste is very similar to apple juice. Lot of fruit that fades into a weak grainy finish with some alcohol. Not much going on here.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin without much carbonation. Works for a watery weak beer like this.

Overall I like the honey and berry characteristics but I feel like they aren't supported by the malt bill. Very watery on the taste. This is my first sorghum so I don't have anything to hold it up against, but maybe people with gluten allergies just weren't meant to drink beer.

natemort13, Feb 11, 2012

Nutrition Facts on the label: Holy Shit Sam you've gone main stream...170 calories in a gluten free beer this isn't light beer. Certified Gluten Free, I haven't seen that on the other Celiac friendly beers. This one pours with a very fizzy carbonation forms a white head, while the body is a light pale copper with maybe a kiss of pink showing off the strawbeery juice added. Aroma is tame a hint of fruit, tart fruit but I can't really say strawberry from just the smell...also a bit of generic assorted grains with a touch of honey notes. Flavor wise it's kind of like kissing a strawberry blonde hippie chick that hasn't bathed in a few days there's just something not right about it. A layer of mint or earthiness, a little bit of a dirty layer of beeswax and buckwheat, tart strawberry jame like real jam minus the concentrated sugars. Even bodied carbonation finishes a bit strange and I can't believe it's six percent alcohol by volume, an interesting beer for all of the Celiac patients out there and I think chicks would have loved it if the calorie count was staring them in the face. Overall a nice attempt at a craft version of a gluten free beer that is palatable with a DFH spin.

WVbeergeek, Feb 11, 2012
3.13/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Translucent reddish gold, very little head, a little bit above average carbonation.

S- Strong smell of strawberries and mix of other vegetables and fruit. Fairly sweet with slight honey smell.

T- Strawberries, a little bit of a white wine taste.

M- Light bodied, drinkable, decent carbonation.

O- I wasn't overly impressed with this beer, one of my least favorite DFH beers. It wasn't overly filled with flavor, and the flavor it did have was kind of a watered down strawberry white wine flavor. Not really my style of beer, but I could maybe see how some people might like it.

jaasen64, Feb 11, 2012

gcotts, Feb 11, 2012
3.45/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I have a hunch that the reason the scores are so low on here is because a) this is gluten free b) because it's Dogfish Head... the brewery everyone else seems to love to hate due to their success.

A: Fairly clear, and with a carbonation bill that appeared more reminiscent of a cider rather than a beer. The color itself resembled a melted orange popsicle, with a hint of red food coloring.

S: Once again.... cider - it had that sugary consistency on the nose to my mind. I'm not familiar with buckwheat honey, but this totally smells like both buckwheat and honey. I wouldn't have guess strawberry as the fruit of the day here.... more like apples and-or pears.

T: Okay, I got the same signature DFH taste profile that I always get on Sam's historic, gourmet entries: honey, wheat, and melted Jolly Rancher. In this case though, the sweetness is VERY bleached out and wasn't cloying at all. I started to get hints of strawberry the more I sipped.... especially at the end. A tad watery, but still good.

M: More gelatinous as opposed to spritzy texture-wise. Like I said, the sweetness was disciplined, but the fruit notes still popped. I got more of an impression of honey rather than the actual product. Absolutely no lacing whatsoever and very little in terms of carbonation.

O: So I guess DFH is going to produce this one several times a year during between seasons (hence the name "Tweason'ale." This was good but not great. However, those of you who love ciders as opposed to beer are going to love it!

Chaney, Feb 10, 2012

prg1976, Feb 10, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -17.2%

This beer was served cold in a Imperial Pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is clear golden coloration. The head of the beer is thin white with no retention.

S- The beer truly smells like honeyed strawberry jam very floral in the background.

T- Taste far better than I expected. The beer has a buckwheat pancake flavor covered in semi sweet strawberry jam just a flash of cloves breaking up sweetness.

M- The body of the beer is light and well carbonated. Kind of reminds me of a malturnative. The beer needs a more active carbonation.

O- Nowhere near as good as I hoped and not as bad as I feared. An ok experience but not one to seek out again. Back to the drawing board DFH.

nlmartin, Feb 10, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

GRG1313, Feb 10, 2012
3.13/5  rDev +1.6%

Pristinely clear golden color with a tidbit head of little strength. No aspect impressing.

Certainly an interesting syrupy malt aroma tied into red berry fruits. Jammy strawberry nose with a buckwheat pancake malt package.

Tangy white wine upfront with some metallic/citric acidities. A little white raspberry and donut peach. More jammy berry preserves in the aftertaste. The malts thinned out in the flavor. Some celery and green bitterness that might come from the hops, or might not. I might have to say that I'm not a fan of the malt profile of sorghum.

Clean, crisp, drinkable, and best served cold. Spritzy and thin. Not sticky.

This is interesting, to say the most. Not my style, nor my flavor. I like the effort, and at least it's gluten-free, right? I dunno. I'll just avoid this one from here on out.

thecheapies, Feb 09, 2012
2.88/5  rDev -6.5%

A- Poured into a Duvel tulip... starts with a white fizzy head that disappears almost as quickly as it appeared. Beer is a light amber color with light activity

S- Not as aromatic as I expected based on the reviews I read prior to opening. Does have a definitive strawberry aroma, very similar to that of strawberry chapstick... though not quite as intense

T- I'm not sure if there will eventually be a gluten free beer category on the site, but I feel it might be a good idea. I've never heard anyone say that they had a gluten free beer that they enjoyed, so I went into this one expecting a horrible tasting beer masked with strawberries and honey... pretty much what I got in my opinion. It's missing certain qualities that I can't quite determine that make it taste like beer, though the strawberry flavor that's present makes it almost enjoyable

M- Light bodied with light carbonation

O- Definitely not my thing. I just read an article that the hot new thing this year is going to be gluten free beers, which I'm all for as there seems to be a fairly decent demand for the category. I also feel that there should be a separate category for these if there are in fact more in the works from other breweries. Maybe this one would be at the top of the list for gluten free beers, but as for the Fruit / Vegetable Beer category, it just doesn't cut it

CHEERS

bbeane, Feb 09, 2012

jpd7374, Feb 09, 2012

daverdave, Feb 09, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +33.1%

A: Golden hue with no lace
S: You can definitely smell the strawberries, sugar and honey. It smells amazing
T: First taste is strawberries with a hint of sugar, continuing with a taste of honey on the back end.
M: Very light and refreshing. I think this will be a perfect summer sipper.

O: Great fruit beer, I will be drinking many more of these!

Jimbeezee, Feb 09, 2012