Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Tweason'ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: pwoody11 on 07-01-2011

For our first new 12-ounce 4-packs in nearly half a decade, we replaced the classic barley foundation of beer with a mild sorghum base. The hints of molasses and pit-fruit are balanced by vibrant strawberry notes and a unique complexity that comes with the addition of a malty buckwheat honey.

We believe health-conscious beer drinkers and the millions of Americans who suffer from Celiac disease can cut back on gluten while relishing the distinction and drinkability of this very special brew.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tweason'ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 292 | Hads: 1,282
3.6/5  rDev +13.6%

Golden copper color. Weak head. Semi sweet, fruity aroma. Clean flavor. Mild graininess. Sweet strawberry jam. Light body. Over carbonated. Not my thing but ok for what it is.

2.25/5  rDev -29%

Bottle: Poured a reddish/brown color ale with a medium size foamy head with OK retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of unrefined grainy notes with light strawberry flavours is a weird mix and not the most enticing. Taste is also dominated by loads of unrefined grainy notes with some light unsweetened strawberry flavours. Body is light with OK carbonation. Body is light with OK carbonation. I’ll leave this one to people that don’t tolerate gluten.

3.35/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

I had purchased this a while back, thinking that perhaps an article on gluten-free beers might be in the offing. When I could not find a taker, the beers got shunted to the side. I had a colleague who has issues with gluten and she was always curious about beers that were gluten-free. I usually eschew them since I am not gluten-intolerant and prefer to leave them for people who are. In the interim, I am purging my massive backlog of bottles this summer and lo and behold! this one popped up. They will now be part of The Great Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014.

From the bottle: "A gluten-free sorghum-based ale brewed with strawberries & buckwheat honey."; "Certified Gluten-Free".

Of the gluten-free beers that I have subjected myself to recently, it has been the fruit-infused ones that were the most palatable. An aggro pour produced a brief finger of fizzy, pinkish-white head with minor retention. Color was a yellow-gold (SRM = 4-5) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of green apples and airplane glue, just as earlier reviewers had remarked! Ha ha. At least, it is something different. Mouthfeel was thin, watery and fizzy, like soda water. Taste was palatable, with the strawberry really shining through that apple vinegar taste that is so prevalent in these beers. Finish was semi-dry, again thanks to the strawberry cutting through some of the sharper flavors to round the edges. I am glad that I do not have Celiac, but if I did, it would have to be the fruit-infused beers that I would turn to.

2.03/5  rDev -36%

Pours gold with a very small off white head with poor retention, which left no lacing. The aroma has strawberries and a sorghum type of smell. Not too appealing.

There are some strawberries and sorghum in the taste. There is a club soda type of aftertaste. No hop presence or malt sweetness. I wish I would have read the label closer and saw the words "gluten free". I would have left this on the shelf.

Light bodied with light fizzy carbonation. Not much to get excited about here. Not worth seeking out again.

Buying DFH beers is always fraught with risk IMO. Anymore, I always start with a 12oz bottle from a bottle shop. That's what I did hear. I admit I had 2 IPA's on draft (SN Torpedo & Fatheads Headhunter) before spotting this in the fridge case, and this may have altered my buds. Thought I'd give it a try. It tastes awful IMO. The taste of this beer reminds me of the smell of Testor's airplane glue. Remember building Monogram or Revell plastic cars when you were a kid? And the smell of glue would waft in the air? That smell is exactly what this beer tastes like. Go ahead, take yourself back to those childhood days of building model cars, and buy a bottle or expensive 4-pack today!

I do admire Sam and DFH for their breaking molds and pushing beer to its outer limits. But still, the beer has to taste good! And when I get burned with beers that don't impress me and usually cost more, I have to say no...

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: crystal-clear, amber in color with a rose-orange tinge... finger width of foam on the pour, dies out rather quick, but keeps a messy, spongy-looking collar

S: vibrant, overripe strawberry... mild fruity-floral booze... very much smells like a light rose wine cut with an extra fruit... hard candy nuance... overall, dull and hazy

T: watery, fresh-squeezed strawberry moisture... vaguely burlap-y, grassy (buckwheat) honey at the back end, lasting through the finish - at first, it tastes like it was back-sweetened or perhaps not fermented out fully... but it's not all that sweet, though perhaps would benefit from being a little... almost a lemon pith quality to the bitterness, somewhat in flavor as well; bitterness has a fresh cut grass thing going on... there's an thread of something unsavory carrying throughout, it's like sucking on a pumpkin stem mixed with licking just the outer skin and white of an underripe strawberry... that's all I got

M: pretty dang dry, flat, lacking spritz on the tongue... bit of a residual juicy film left

O: certainly a unique brew... nothing really "off" about it, aside from the complex green flavors... perhaps it's just that shock of tasting something different - it did grow on me a bit by the end... all in all, it's one of the better gluten free (barley free) beers out there

3.13/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a nice golden-orange. Lots of bubbles. Small foam head, with very pour retention. No lacing.

Smell: A nice burst of aromas here. Definitely the strawberry up front. Hints of rhubarb. Strong scent of apples and honey as well.

Taste: Strawberries, apples, honey are the first things noticed. Upon further sips, there's some grape, and a little bit of pear. Honestly, an incredibly underwhelming taste, especially after the great aroma. The carbonation almost overpowers the taste at time. Despite the multitude of fruits in the taste, it still manages to be surprisingly flat and uninspiring.

Mouthfeel: Extremely light bodied. Could've benefitted from being a little more syrupy. Decent amount of carbonation. Very watery. Again, I find myself going back to the word "uninspiring".

Overall: A disappointing entry from one of my favorite breweries. I knew going into this it wasn't going to be the best, judging by its ratings. I've had a few gluten free beers, and a few made with sorghum, and those weren't great. But this one....disappointing. No reason to try this one.

Color- dark apple juice. No head.

Aroma- strawberry cider.

Taste- Starts with strawberry and granny smith apple and earth tones, mild honey sugars present in the mid-body, finishing with a subdued strawberry and grassy flavor with hint of pear cider. Bottle says "a gluten free sorghum-based ale with strawberries & buckwheat honey." Perhaps I'm partial to this unique beer because of my affinity for sour ales.

Poured from 355 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 9/28/2013.

3.3/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- hazy honey gold with almost no head. This beer becomes headless instantly. It has lots of carbonation clinging to the sides of the glass, and fast rising bubbles.

S- strawberry, peaches, nectarines. I'm not getting any of the honey on the nose.

T- fruity, fresh strawberries, juicy nectarine. The finish is stale and yeasty.

M- light, bubbly, watery, clean, refreshing.

O- not bad, but that aftertaste...

2.67/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Ok, I had to taste on of the better gluten free beers. I really cant say that I enjoyed this beer, but I respect Dog Fish Head and their ability to go beyond the norm, so I felt I needed to review this.

The appearance was just ok, nothing positive nothing negative. The bouquet was missing, I could not really detect anything in terms of hops, malt or a yeasty aroma.
The first taste was about the same as the bouquet. Nothing to get excited about, but again nothing negative nothing positive.

I guess overall, I would have to say this was a neutral beer.

3.42/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a: thin, clear, golden and bubbly.

s: very delicate hint of tart strawberries, and honey if I get my nose down in the glass.

t: again tart, but not unpleasantly so. The tartness is the major note. It could benefit from more strawberries. I'm not sure what sorghum tastes like so I don't know what I should be looking for. Can it be malted like barley? Is it supposed to be toasty? Barley provides flavour to beer and I was hoping sorghum would do the same but with a different taste. Sadly this just tastes like something is missing.

m: bubbly and tangy.

o: I actually like this but I wish it was a little more complex.

3.15/5  rDev -0.6%

A - Pour into a pint is copper with a quick to disappear head.
S - Interesting and reminded me of church wine.
T - Strawberry, honey and some flavors I can not figure out.
M - medium body and a light finish.
O - I thought I would try it. I am glad I don't have a gluten issue after this one.

2.36/5  rDev -25.6%

WARNING! I AM NOT A SORGHUM / FLAVORED BEER DRINKER! I'm not commenting on this as compared to other similar beers, I'm commenting on how I think it stacks up as I feel a beer should.

Pours ok. Clear. Fizzy. The fiz disappears quickly leaving what looks like colored water with a bubble here and there.

Smells sweet and tart, floral and fruity, and, well, not like beer.

The strangest thing happens when this pours into your mouth, and it ain't good. Well, I don't like it. It's like the medevial huns come battling in blazing their swords of tart fruit and... oddness I can't place... The wrath then drops dead on your tongue and slides down the back of your throat, sour and eventless. There is a bit of carbonation cleaning things up a bit, that is a positive thing.

The mouthfeel really is not bad. Though it looks lifeless, there is some spunk in the carbonatin. You've got about 20 minutes to get it, though, for after that it seems to begin to go flat.

The body is thin, but perhaps could be called refreshing. Definitely something that has to be consumed on a hot summer day.

Well... For those gluten intolerant, if this is allowed, and a Leine Summer Shandy would be enjoyable, maybe this is a good alternative. ...if you like just beer, well, stay away...

3.12/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Light, fresh, with a slight fruit taste, this ale from Dogfish Head doens't have quite the wow of many of their other products. However, it is quite drinkable, especially since it has such a light feel and mild taste. Not bitter or hoppy at all. I wouldn't go out of my way to drink it again, but if someone offered me one, I'd take it!

3.31/5  rDev +4.4%

Has a strong strawberry and honey taste, but surprisingly is not sweet. Has a dry, syrupy feel that reminds me of the Immort Ale. Feels fizzy on the tongue. Despite the strangeness, it is still enjoyable, though not for everyone. For me it’s the strawberry that helps lift it.

2.63/5  rDev -17%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Light tan/copper, very carbonated with a fizzy 1.2 inch head, some lacing.

Smell - Bold dark fruits, grape, plum, raisin, blueberry, strawberry. Some honey along with malts, added sugars.

Taste - Very mild, rather weak at first sip. Plenty of bland strawberry. I really don't get much more fruits, other then a little grape. Most of the aroma doesn't show up as flavor. Nothing much more to say.

Mouthfeel - Really light, tongue gets strawberry and a little grape. Tongue gets remaining strawberry and a little alcohol warmth. Aftertaste is dry, watery and weak.

Overall - This is disappointing. Lacks flavor, any type of complex flavor or balance. Tastes like a cheap table wine or some half-assed girly mixed drink at some yuppy bar. Nothing id recommend or revisit again.

3.82/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tall pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a bright and clear golden orange with a slight hint of red. Lots of rising bubbles and a slight off white head that quickly fades into a thin patchy layer. Lacing is light.

Smell: A sweet, fruity, and jammy aroma with big hints of strawberry and honey. Upfront scent of strawberries along with some sweet syrup. Pale malt with hints of grains, yeast, and lots of honey. Also some white wine like hints of grapes. Some sweet molasses hints as well. A pretty interesting and nice fruity aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a sweet, fruity, and slightly tart fruit forward taste with lots of strawberry and honey. Upfront taste of sweet strawberries. Also some fruit notes of white grape. Sweet notes of syrup and molasses. Pale malt with notes of grains, yeast, and a big presence of honey. Taste is fruity and sweet but light and smooth while far from cloying.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a medium to high level of carbonation. Sweet and syrupy but light and smooth.

Overall: An interesting and decent take on a fruit beer. Very light but the strawberry taste is nice.

3.2/5  rDev +0.9%

A- Crystal clear golden/honey colored body with a fizzy white head. Lots of fizzy carbonation bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass.

S- Almost smells like a sweet, fruity soda. Honey, strawberries, lots of sugary-sweet aromas.

T- Soda like sweetness (birch beer?) with strawberries coming through a lot with honey in the finish. The malt backbone you would expect in a beer is not present and it leaves a lingering sweet aftertaste. Kind of weird during the first few sips as that grain bill is just not there.

M- More body than I would have expected, but still somewhat thin and fizzy. Lingering sweetness and fizziness.

O- Being a gluten-free beer, this one is drinkable. Not my favorite mix of flavors, but it's not over-the-top sweet to the point of being undrinkable. Drinks somewhat like a soda, but it's nice to see a noble attempt at a gluten-free offering.

2.95/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottled on 12/18/13

Look: Pours copper, no lacing, no head.

Aroma: The strawberry is not overpowering, but it is there.

Taste: I was expecting a more fruity taste, but it was lacking. Still had a strawberry finish.

Feel: Heavy feel, almost like drinking watered down honey.

Overall: This was the only bottle of Dogfish the local liquor store had for sale, I expected more from it.

3.58/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Crystal clear copper body with a fizzling white head.

Aroma: Sweet syrupy strawberry and jam.

Taste: Not as potently sweet as I was expecting, which works in its favor. Starts with a slightly watery strawberry flavor that builds in aggressiveness until the finish. The finish is crisp and the aftertastes leaves a quite interesting taste of winterfresh gum on the palate. The sorghum is hidden very well here and is only slightly detectable. At 6% ABV it drinks like a lighter beer but that can mostly be attributed to the high level of effervescence.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body with above average carbonation. Decent drinkability and definitely sessionable for those with a gluten allergy.

Final Thoughts: I’m not sure this beer was all that fresh but it’s difficult to find any flaws. The fact that this beer is gluten-free is hardly brought up in the flavor. Another good beer from a great brewery. Would I drink it again? Yes, tweasonally.

3.62/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Screaming with odoriferous emanations of strawberry shortcake, Tweason' ale is an inviting entry into the fruit-beer market; being gluten free is a massive added bonus. Hazy reddish amber with a sedentary head, this brew is quite tempting. the nose has a beautiful essence of the strawberries within, but the malted nose gives it authenticity. Slightly bitter and marginally sweet, this beer satisfies quite well. If you are sensitive to gluten, this is truly a wonderful alternative to those brews with similar attributes which are simply non-potable to the Celiac sufferer. Kudos to DFH.

3.9/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottled on 01/22/13

Poured into a pint glass.

Look: Pours a copper color with almost no head. (I should have got violent with it) There doesn't seem like much lacing, not sure if that's just how the brew is, or my glass is messed up, or what. Nothing special, so I give it my usual "good" of 3.75.

Aroma: At first there was a lot! I was getting the obvious whiff of strawberry, but more like a Jolly Rancher type strawberry, probably the honey that's in there that is doing that. Didn't pick up on the honey too much, and there wasn't time. After about two minutes, the aroma just straight up died. So I can't really say what else is suppose to be there. It gets a 3.75 for the initial burst of smell, which was awesome, but not any higher, as I didn't get to enjoy it.

Taste: My first thoughts were watered down Strawberry Kool-Aid. (That sounds bad, but to me, it was pretty good.) After a bit of warmth, the malty-likeness comes through in the honey. I wish I had more experience with Sorghum in brews, as it seems like it's interesting. (Just not sure if that's what is making it interesting!)

Feel: A weird combination of crisp and light, with something heavier. It finishes heavy. But the first sip is like Sprite. No detection of the mild ABV.

Overall: I had no idea what to expect with this one, and it's a very solid fruit beer. I've only found a couple of others that I genuinely like, and I'll now add this one to the list. Nothing outstanding that'll make me search it out, but when I'm in the mood, and it's in my field of vision, I won't hesitate to pick it up.

3.23/5  rDev +1.9%

A - Orangy, copper. Has a head only while pouring but disappears shortly thereafter. No head remains however, lots of carbonation bubbles on side of glass. Clear as can be.

S - Much more like white wine then a true beer. Light and fruity.

T - Much more like sparkling wine then beer. Taste is light and crisp. Hints of strawberry are there. Refreshing.

M - Thin as wine. Slight tartness left in mouth after each sip.

O - This is a nice beverage to drink. My wife is gluten free and why we have it around the house. I definitely think of this more in a sparkling wine category vs. a beer category. That being said, for what it is, it is good. In the beer spectrum, its only ok.

3.77/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Apperance: A very interesting dark honey-like amber

Smell: A very light smell that actually does not give the full flavor body. Like strawberry nodes!

Taste: At first gulp the large carbonation gives a light beer flavor but finishes with a strong sense of strawberry - BUT this is easily the best gluten-free beer or one of the best

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated and then smooth similar to Angry Orchard's line of hard ciders

Overall: An excellent beer for those who seldom drink or have an aversion to gluten. Very much a warm weather beer that borders on a cider with its strong strawberry flavor. A must for the gluten-free

3.52/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tried this out of a 12 ounce bottle poured into a stout/porter glass.

A - 3.75 - dark orange/copper colored beer with no head, looks like the carbonation is pretty heavy with a lot of bubbles coming through

S - 3.50 - huge dry white wine, ripe strawberry sourness, not very complex at all

T - 3.50 - there and gone, dry wine/strawberry sourness with a distinct beer flavor I've only gotten from a few other beers, I'm having a hard time placing it but I'm assuming it's from the Sorghum? Maybe a tiny hint of hops in there, but not much. Kind of like a strawberry cider.

M - 3.50 - Heavy carbonation, taste is there and gone, with a light cider aftertaste. Basically no bitterness.

O - 3.50 - This "beer" taste more like wine than beer. It seems more like a novelty than anything.

Tweason'ale from Dogfish Head Brewery