Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Tweason'ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: pwoody11 on 07-01-2011

For our first new 12-ounce 4-packs in nearly half a decade, we replaced the classic barley foundation of beer with a mild sorghum base. The hints of molasses and pit-fruit are balanced by vibrant strawberry notes and a unique complexity that comes with the addition of a malty buckwheat honey.

We believe health-conscious beer drinkers and the millions of Americans who suffer from Celiac disease can cut back on gluten while relishing the distinction and drinkability of this very special brew.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tweason'ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 292 | Hads: 1,283
3.47/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a one-finger white head that dissapeared rather quickly in to my pint glass. Crystal clear cider-like gold color. No lacing or anything. Nothing stood out on first look. The aroma is that of sweet berry with a subtle syrupy sweetness to follow.

Upon first sip, dry white wine is the first thing that came to mind. A bit of berry and light honey. A bit tart, but finishes very clean. A very bubbly brew that also has a slight syrupy feeling. Not as sweet as the label would lead you to believe, but pretty refreshing. Seems like it would be a nice summer beer to have after doing some yard work.

3.17/5  rDev 0%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Appearance- Thin white head that doesn't last long at all. Clear golden color, which reminds me of a lager.

Smell- I can smell both the buckwheat honey and strawberries. Maybe some straw and wheat too.

Taste- WAY more berry in the taste than in the nose. This beer has a sour/sweet thing going on that is quite nice.

Mouthfeel- Almost has a strawberry seltzer feel to it. The honey does give this beer a nice mouthfeel.

Overall- This is by far the worst DFH beer I've ever had, but that's kinda like saying "This one-hundred dollar bill is diirty." It's a good beer worth trying, but I will not seek it out again.

3.68/5  rDev +16.1%

12 oz bottle dated 1/30/2012 poured into a snifter

A- A clear copper color with a slight red tint and a one finger white head that fades quickly.

S- Some strawberries and honey, nice tart and sweet combo.

T- Tart strawberries, some honey, light earthy notes, good balance of flavors.

M- Smooth, light to medium body, crisp, refreshing.

O- This beer really surprised me, and I am enjoying it more and more. Definitely will pick this up again, I feel that DFH did a good job with this.

3.15/5  rDev -0.6%

Bottled 30JAN12

Pours an orange ale with the slightest pink twinge to it. Some white foam and spotty lace. Brilliant clarity. Smells like a light beer with strawberries and honey - really simple. A pleasant nose with nice subtly. Taste is interestingly fruity - the strawberries are there, slightly tart and effervescent. There is a certain woody flavor along with the honey, which is slight and just barely perceptible. Thin with hi carb and a wet finish. It's an okay beer, but not something I am likely to seek out again. Interesting concept and reminds me more that I drink the bottle, of the flavor I get in Quaker Instant Strawberries and Cream oatmeal (but WAY more subtle, more like an undertow).

3.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Bottled on 1/30/12, pretty damn fresh.

Poured into a DFH over sized wine glass.

Nice clarity to a thin brew. Shimmery bright copper though the clarity makes this seem a lighter shade than pure copper. In darker light this takes on reddish hues. It was tough coaxing any head out of this one though some large bubbles ring the glass indefinitely.

The aroma is the best part of the beer. Strawberry is light - never artificial or awkward - but immediately apparent. There's a floury bent to things, and the honey actually comes through nicely as well.

The flavor is certainly fruity, though the strawberry isn't super distinct - sort of like if you didn't know what fruit was used here you might mistake it for something else. The fruitiness has a jam-like quality to it, and the honey lends a syrupy sweetness. The DFH website claims molasses flavors in the sorghum they used, but I am not getting anything that dark or heavy in my bottle.

There's also a mild tartness - a residual effect of adding so much fruit I suppose - but it actually works well. I'd love to see this brewed with both strawberry and rhubarb to really play on the sour factor and add some more depth to the flavor.

Thin bodied beer with a chewy/syrupy feel.

Overall much better than I expected - though this is also my first ever gluten-free beer. For what it is I feel it is a success, but I don't foresee myself desiring to purchase more in the near future. Should I ever fall prey to a disease that required I only consume gluten-free food though, well, I suppose that I wouldn't mind sipping on this regularly.

3.07/5  rDev -3.2%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden yellow color and a clear consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Very little lacing.

S: Not huge aroma here, but some strawberry and malt were evident.

T: Tasted of strawberry, honey, and some malt. Mostly this was a thin, uninteresting beer. Either the strawberry and honey didn't work well together, or there wasn't enough of them. Not a great flavor.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a creamy finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This might be my least favorite Dogfish Head beer. It seems like a half-formed idea of a beer.

3.62/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dogfish Head

Pours a light clear golden color with a small fizzy head. In the aroma, fresh strawberries and a mint like herbal note. The taste is similar, tasty strawberries, gummy sorghum, a touch of herb, spice, bitters, and finishes sweet. Not too beery, but a little alcohol. Comes off a bit winecooler-esque, but a good one. Refreshing flavor. Light bodied, fizzy feel. Overall, this is a great option for those with gluten allergies. Tastes like a more commercial flavored malt beverage, sans malt.

3.95/5  rDev +24.6%

Poured an absolutely clear tangerine color with a finger of bright white head. Aroma of honey and sweet strawberries -- this one isn't kidding about the fruit component.

Moderate carbonation and a light mouthfeel. Strawberries up front followed by wheaty notes (though obviously there isn't any) and a fuller, sweeter honey/berry quality on the finish.

Actually enjoyed this one quite a bit...maybe a little too strawberry-dominated, but it doesn't come across too artificial or cloying. Gives Festina Pêche a run for its summer money!

3.55/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, bottled on 1/30/12. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The brew smells like strawberries, honey, and there's also a grainy aroma. The taste is pretty much just like the aroma, but there's also a slight green grape/white wine-like flavor noticeable. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, and it has decent carbonation. Overall I think it's a decent enough brew. For a gluten-free beer, it's not bad at all. I'd buy it again, it is refreshing and easy to drink. $8.99 for a 4-pack.

3.29/5  rDev +3.8%

Picked this up for my gluten-free roommate, figured i'd give it a shot.

Beer pours a pale straw gold with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates into one solid ring around the glass.

I get a bunch of sugary honey on the nose...similar to the honey character i've gotten in midas' touch. Then some berry notes with a slight grain character in the background to balance it out.

Taste is very similar to apple juice. Lot of fruit that fades into a weak grainy finish with some alcohol. Not much going on here.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin without much carbonation. Works for a watery weak beer like this.

Overall I like the honey and berry characteristics but I feel like they aren't supported by the malt bill. Very watery on the taste. This is my first sorghum so I don't have anything to hold it up against, but maybe people with gluten allergies just weren't meant to drink beer.

Nutrition Facts on the label: Holy Shit Sam you've gone main stream...170 calories in a gluten free beer this isn't light beer. Certified Gluten Free, I haven't seen that on the other Celiac friendly beers. This one pours with a very fizzy carbonation forms a white head, while the body is a light pale copper with maybe a kiss of pink showing off the strawbeery juice added. Aroma is tame a hint of fruit, tart fruit but I can't really say strawberry from just the smell...also a bit of generic assorted grains with a touch of honey notes. Flavor wise it's kind of like kissing a strawberry blonde hippie chick that hasn't bathed in a few days there's just something not right about it. A layer of mint or earthiness, a little bit of a dirty layer of beeswax and buckwheat, tart strawberry jame like real jam minus the concentrated sugars. Even bodied carbonation finishes a bit strange and I can't believe it's six percent alcohol by volume, an interesting beer for all of the Celiac patients out there and I think chicks would have loved it if the calorie count was staring them in the face. Overall a nice attempt at a craft version of a gluten free beer that is palatable with a DFH spin.

3.15/5  rDev -0.6%

A- Translucent reddish gold, very little head, a little bit above average carbonation.

S- Strong smell of strawberries and mix of other vegetables and fruit. Fairly sweet with slight honey smell.

T- Strawberries, a little bit of a white wine taste.

M- Light bodied, drinkable, decent carbonation.

O- I wasn't overly impressed with this beer, one of my least favorite DFH beers. It wasn't overly filled with flavor, and the flavor it did have was kind of a watered down strawberry white wine flavor. Not really my style of beer, but I could maybe see how some people might like it.

3.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I have a hunch that the reason the scores are so low on here is because a) this is gluten free b) because it's Dogfish Head... the brewery everyone else seems to love to hate due to their success.

A: Fairly clear, and with a carbonation bill that appeared more reminiscent of a cider rather than a beer. The color itself resembled a melted orange popsicle, with a hint of red food coloring.

S: Once again.... cider - it had that sugary consistency on the nose to my mind. I'm not familiar with buckwheat honey, but this totally smells like both buckwheat and honey. I wouldn't have guess strawberry as the fruit of the day here.... more like apples and-or pears.

T: Okay, I got the same signature DFH taste profile that I always get on Sam's historic, gourmet entries: honey, wheat, and melted Jolly Rancher. In this case though, the sweetness is VERY bleached out and wasn't cloying at all. I started to get hints of strawberry the more I sipped.... especially at the end. A tad watery, but still good.

M: More gelatinous as opposed to spritzy texture-wise. Like I said, the sweetness was disciplined, but the fruit notes still popped. I got more of an impression of honey rather than the actual product. Absolutely no lacing whatsoever and very little in terms of carbonation.

O: So I guess DFH is going to produce this one several times a year during between seasons (hence the name "Tweason'ale." This was good but not great. However, those of you who love ciders as opposed to beer are going to love it!

2.57/5  rDev -18.9%

This beer was served cold in a Imperial Pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is clear golden coloration. The head of the beer is thin white with no retention.

S- The beer truly smells like honeyed strawberry jam very floral in the background.

T- Taste far better than I expected. The beer has a buckwheat pancake flavor covered in semi sweet strawberry jam just a flash of cloves breaking up sweetness.

M- The body of the beer is light and well carbonated. Kind of reminds me of a malturnative. The beer needs a more active carbonation.

O- Nowhere near as good as I hoped and not as bad as I feared. An ok experience but not one to seek out again. Back to the drawing board DFH.

3.14/5  rDev -0.9%

Pristinely clear golden color with a tidbit head of little strength. No aspect impressing.

Certainly an interesting syrupy malt aroma tied into red berry fruits. Jammy strawberry nose with a buckwheat pancake malt package.

Tangy white wine upfront with some metallic/citric acidities. A little white raspberry and donut peach. More jammy berry preserves in the aftertaste. The malts thinned out in the flavor. Some celery and green bitterness that might come from the hops, or might not. I might have to say that I'm not a fan of the malt profile of sorghum.

Clean, crisp, drinkable, and best served cold. Spritzy and thin. Not sticky.

This is interesting, to say the most. Not my style, nor my flavor. I like the effort, and at least it's gluten-free, right? I dunno. I'll just avoid this one from here on out.

2.92/5  rDev -7.9%

A- Poured into a Duvel tulip... starts with a white fizzy head that disappears almost as quickly as it appeared. Beer is a light amber color with light activity

S- Not as aromatic as I expected based on the reviews I read prior to opening. Does have a definitive strawberry aroma, very similar to that of strawberry chapstick... though not quite as intense

T- I'm not sure if there will eventually be a gluten free beer category on the site, but I feel it might be a good idea. I've never heard anyone say that they had a gluten free beer that they enjoyed, so I went into this one expecting a horrible tasting beer masked with strawberries and honey... pretty much what I got in my opinion. It's missing certain qualities that I can't quite determine that make it taste like beer, though the strawberry flavor that's present makes it almost enjoyable

M- Light bodied with light carbonation

O- Definitely not my thing. I just read an article that the hot new thing this year is going to be gluten free beers, which I'm all for as there seems to be a fairly decent demand for the category. I also feel that there should be a separate category for these if there are in fact more in the works from other breweries. Maybe this one would be at the top of the list for gluten free beers, but as for the Fruit / Vegetable Beer category, it just doesn't cut it

4.12/5  rDev +30%

A: Golden hue with no lace
S: You can definitely smell the strawberries, sugar and honey. It smells amazing
T: First taste is strawberries with a hint of sugar, continuing with a taste of honey on the back end.
M: Very light and refreshing. I think this will be a perfect summer sipper.

O: Great fruit beer, I will be drinking many more of these!

3.68/5  rDev +16.1%

Served in a DFH signature glass.

Beautiful stuff - it's a crystal clear honey-blonde color. The head was small and didn't stick around. There was a bunch of visible carbonation along the sides of the glass and floating around. Very thirst-enducing!

The strawberry comes through and creates a nice, refreshing aroma. It's followed by an unusual earthy aroma, which isn't good or bad. The honey is subtle, but present. Overall a nice smelling fruit beer.

Interesting flavors! The strawberry comes out, bringing some nice sweetness and tartness. There's sort of a spicey character, not quite Belgian but more like fresh ginger. There's some slight earthiness in there, but not as much as the nose. A yeasty flavor comes through as it warms. It's almost like carbonated grape juice in terms of flavor.

This is a really light beverage. There isn't much body to it, which makes it extremely easy drinking. It doesn't feel like beer. It feels more like champagne or even soda due to the dryness and the high carbonation.

Not a bad brew in the least bit! I grabbed a whole 4 pack, and I'm glad that I did. It's got some really nice flavors and is super easy to drink, so this is a beverage for both people who like beer as well as people who don't. It drinks like a soda and kicks like a beer!

2.85/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clean orange-ish color with a white head. In the aroma, dry honey, clove, and a small note of fruit. In the taste, dry honey, sugary, and a small note of fruit, but strawberries stand out. A small bite and medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry strawberry to small honey like aftertaste. A bit dry and the honey seems to be a bit too much.

3.2/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from 12 oz bottle.

A: Very bright golden color. Lightly orange hue to it.

S: The nose is a very dry cider sort of smell.

T: It almost reminds me of a BNektar Mead I tried recently on the palate. The honey is there on the finish as well as a very subtle Strawberry flavor. If anyone has ever had BNektar's Strawberry Pizazz that would be a 14% version of this beer. Though this beer is not as sweet. I thought it might be sweeter but it is pretty dry and palatable. Overall this is the most pleasant Gluten-Free beer I've tasted. Most are just bland and tasteless, at least this has some character.

M: Very carbonated. Reminds me of a cider or sparkling wine.

O: Overall, I think they accomplished creating a great Gluten-Free beer for people who are left out of a giant array of beers that we who can drink gluten typically enjoy. This still isn't my thing.. but I respect the breweries efforts here. At least I was able to finish the beer unlike a lot of Gluten Free offerings.

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

12oz into Bruery snifter tulip glass.
Bottled 1/25/12

A: Pours a really really clear light orange pink color.   About a half finger of white head.  Leaves quickly.  Not a lot of lacing or alcohol feet.

S: Weird smells.  I definitely get that strawberry and honey sweetness.  There is maybe a little tart notes from the fruit.

T: I can't believe that I am saying this, but it's not that bad for the style that is.  I get a little fruit tartness on the tip of the tongue.  In the middle of the mouth I get a lot of activity: tart fruit, sweet strawberry, mild malt, etc.  The close is nice and dry like a white wine.

M: Light to medium.

O: B

3.57/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Love the ingredients list and nutrition facts on the label.

A real shampoo and soapy white head that fizzes and falls very quickly, settling down into a small collar. Body color is a real nice red golden honey and bronze, crystal clear, with some slow center column rising carbonation.

Nose is some light bready malts, some faint fruit sweetness and honey. The fruit angle doesn't really scream it's a small subtle strawberry.

Palate is very watery and fleeting. Bready malts matching on the nose follow through with a very strawberry finish. A sense of crispness and carbonation is there but is very flattened by a wet body. Like similar gluten free beers, this lacks body and density.

Overall, if this wasn't gluten free I might even enjoy it more, but it's not too bad but I wont be seeking it out anytime soon.

3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- pours a golden orange/pink, very translucent, no haze at all, a half finger white, super bubbly/spritzy head diminishes quickly and leaves no lacing, reminds me of a rose wine almost.

S- light strawberrys and honey, and an earthy funk that I'm assuming is sorghum again I am reminded of a rose wine.

T- honey up front settling into a nice strawberry flavor, akin to the flavor of a light rose wine cooler, like boones farm strawberry hill, except made with fresh ingredients, a natural flavors. The strawberry had a nice natural taste to it and works well with the honey and sorghum.

M- smooth and light bodied, when held in the mouth you get very effervescent carbonation, lots of tight little carbonation bubbles can be felt bursting around, almost champagne light, but a little more mild. Finishes crisp.

O- a very subtle, drinkable beer, not like a lot of dogfish beers that focus on being over the top, I could see this being nice on a hot summer day, although it is deffinatley a bit girly for my taste. I am not a silliac, and I kinda wonder how somone who is would enjoy this, seems like it would be a great alternative, especially if you were a girl. Or a guy who likes light, spritzy, strawberryish drinks.

3.83/5  rDev +20.8%

Purchased a 4pk at Wegmans in Warrington, PA. As a fan of DFH, I decided to give this beer a try since it was something new. Being gluten-free and a fruit beer, I wasn't sure what to expect.

Purchase price: $9.99/4pk

Enjoyed in a DFH Signature Glass

A - Pours a reddish, amber color. Totally translucent. A one finger, very fizzy and quickly dissipating head on the initial pour. No lacing left on the side of the glass after completing.

S - A faint fruity smell. Reminded me of what a wine cooler smells like.

T - A very different type of beer. A slightly tart, artificial tasting sweet flavor. I can make out the strawberry and honey flavors to a slight extent. I can't get past how much this taste like a wine cooler. It kind of grows on you after a few sips. Very light tasting, super easy to drink. The alcohol is barely noticeable.

M - A very fizzy mouthfeel. Very thin consistency.

O - I have to applaud DFH for having the gumption to put out a gluten-free beer. Being known for their more aggressive beers, this is about as non-aggressive as you can get. This is really not my style but it is tasty. My wife and step-daughter enjoyed it which says a lot. They normally dislike DFH beers due to the ones I normally drink (DFH 60, 90, Burton Baton, Palo Santo) which are very hoppy and bitter. This one was met with "Not bad...I like this".

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%

A single bottle into a DFH curved pint glass.

Tweason'ale goes into the glass a very bright golden orange with a very clear look with no haze. The bubbles build to a finger of off white foam that makes a ring around the glass, no lace.

Smell is pungent with ripe strawberry and a cidery smell with some apple. A rubbery scent comes in with some sniffs. All of this drowned out the honey. Don't get any hops in here.

As with 90% of DFH beer, this is weird. Comes off as a fruity cider as the nose would suggest. The strawberry flavor is large yet not artificial. I can't quite put my finger on this as Im not a gluten Free drinker.

Feel is light with a Spritzy feel on the 1st sips, yet this just sort of whimpers away. Feeling this less and less as it warms. Overall, glad I tried this for a go, but won't be seeing it again, just not my bag.

Tweason'ale from Dogfish Head Brewery