Tweason'ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: pwoody11 on 07-01-2011

For our first new 12-ounce 4-packs in nearly half a decade, we replaced the classic barley foundation of beer with a mild sorghum base. The hints of molasses and pit-fruit are balanced by vibrant strawberry notes and a unique complexity that comes with the addition of a malty buckwheat honey.

We believe health-conscious beer drinkers and the millions of Americans who suffer from Celiac disease can cut back on gluten while relishing the distinction and drinkability of this very special brew.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tweason'ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,257 | Reviews: 300
2.78/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours with one finger of white foam on top of a clear, light copper colored body. The head quickly drops down to a thin film and leaves no lace on the glass.

S - A light, cider like aroma with some musty grape character.

T - Light grain and white grape juice character up front. Some cider like character in the middle and more fruity, sweet herbal character in the finish.

M - A light body, moderately high carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - Not great, even for a gluten free beer. The honey and fruit just come across like apple juice and cheap grape juice. I see what they were trying to do here, and it does at least keep the beer from seeming overly thin, but it isn't very enjoyable in the end. Even if I was gluten intolerant, I wouldn't drink this.

3.6/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Perfectly clear orange beer with a few bubbles floating up from the bottom. A tiny and bubbly head dissapates very quickly to virtually nothing left afterwards except for a line around the glass and a few tiny spots. Not promising right out the gate, but for a gluten-free beer this is expected. Honey and strawberries definitely make a mark on the nose with a sweetness of sorts, and a faint reminder of bread? Just the yeast I'm sure, as its not reminiscent of barley. The strawberry aroma is more dominant than the honey, which backs up the sweet tartness of those strawberries. Interesting nose.

The markedly thin body is the first thing that hits you, again as expected as it has no barley or wheat and a high level of sugars. But this is actually made up for a little bit by a medium carbonation level and a well-balanced and defined flavor. These flavors are definitely the highlight here as the strawberries provide a tartness in the middle and back of the palate while the honey does a great job in front to hit you with a sugary sweetness, hence the balance. A somewhat well-hidden breath of the 6% ABV provides a bit more depth, but the sweet-tartness of this beer is the main take-away. It leads into a dryish mouthfeel with a decent amount of residuals that create a little bit of a syrupy finish and a lingering tartness. The beer that this most closely resembles is DFH's Festina Peche, only a little less tart and with a less desirable mouthfeel.

This beer definitely leans toward cidery, which is not necessarily a bad thing simply because it has no barley or wheat. Its a good substitute for those who have issues with gluten and want to be reminded of beer, but it has some strong cider-like qualities that are somewhat detrimental to the "ale" in the title. But that is of course what the brewery was going for here and this is the best (of three) gluten free beers I've tried. It has some really nice flavors as the strawberry takes a lot of the focus away from the lack of body. At least DFH never half-asses anything. I would recommend this to those with gluten allergies for sure. I, however, probably won't buy it again. Definitely worth the try though.

2.78/5  rDev -9.7%

Picked up a single for a couple bucks. 12oz bottle into DFH shaped pint glass. Bottled 12/21/11. Interesting to see the nutrition facts on the label.

A: Pours a deep dark honey color with a couple finger of short lived fizzy head that quickly faded into a faint scum. Not much lace to this one.
S: Strange nose. I mainly get a sweet splash of strawberry syrup and buckwheat honey. Smells grainy, earthy and sweet.
T: Bleh. Sweet syrupy flavors of fruits, lightly tart strawberries, and a splash of buckwheat grain, honey, earthy grains, and seltzer water do battle with my palate. Tastes like fizzy water with synthetic strawberry syrup and honey thrown in. The aftertaste is syrupy and coating.
M: Fizzy carbonation, spritzy body and a very synthetic and slick mouthfeel. A syrupy coating is left in my mouth after each swallow. This feels pretty gross on my palate, and the syrupy feel does not go well with the ample fizzy carbonation.
O: I don’t know why I keep trying new beers from DFH. I respect them as a brewery, and I respect Sam for what he does. A lot of people love their beers, and they are great advocates for the craft beer movement. However, I have been disappointed with almost every one of their more ‘unique’ offerings. I’ve passed on most lately since I’m tired of wasting money on a 750ml bottle of grossness. This small (12oz) bottle sucked me in and reminded me why I generally steer clear. Only buy this beer if you cannot handle gluten or love super sweet syrupy drinks.

2.87/5  rDev -6.8%

A-dark yellow with no head and lots of bubbles

S-smells like strawberry butter and honey grains. good strength. some alcohol.

T-comes in with an oddly tart taste of strawberries, honey, and teaberry. its an odd and smooth taste that seems to somehow work. it has a decent but faint matching after-taste with a hint of cinnamon. as i drink the beer, the flavors start to mesh and the alcohol note begins to become strong, and almost gross

M-medium carbonation with a dry finish

O-at first i thought it tasted weird, but then as i had a few more sips, i started to enjoy it, but as i got about halfway through the glass, i really started to hate it. its just an odd beer. i feel like people are gluten intolerant probably want a gluten free beer that reminds them of BEER...not some weird concoction. DFH should've tried mimicking the taste of barley or wheat instead of tart berries.

3.73/5  rDev +21.1%

A: Pale and clear golden color with a thin cream colored head that recedes quickly to a ring around the top.

S: I get some strawberries here, but it's a bit artificial, like those strawberry hard candies. A touch of musty grain and some sweetness from the honey. Perfume like flowery aroma as well as well as a bit of a sourness that reminds me of wine.

T: This is my first gluten free beer and I'm actually pretty impressed. Something about it tastes a bit off, but not in a way that totally turns me off. Some tart strawberries and lemons as well as some pink grapefruit flesh. Mouthfeel reminds me more of a cider than a beer, but it's a pretty tasty beer nonetheless.

3.45/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottled on: 01/30/12

A: Pours a clear copper color with pinkish hues. About a fingers worth of head fizzles to nothing very quickly

S: Lots of strawberries along with the sorghum and a pronounced sweetness

T: Follows the smell. Strawberries and sorghum are the main flavors, and it finishes with some more sweetness from the honey. Tastes like most gluten-free beers with a nice strawberry that masks the profile of the sorghum fairly well

M: Light-medium bodied with an abundance of carbonation. Almost soda-like

O: Certainly the best sorghum-based beer I've had, although I haven't had that many. That can be attributed to the sweetness of the strawberries and honey for the most part. Nice job by Sam and DFH to try to make something that tastes better than pure sorghum in a gluten-free beer

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased a bottle of this at Julio's. Glad I bought when I did as this stuff surprisingly sold out FAST. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear dark golden hue with a fizzy one finger head that quickly fades to leave a thin halo and cloud.

S - Strong, sweet smells of buckwheat with a faint, ghostly aroma of fresh strawberries. Light floral notes too.

T - Immidiately I get buckwheat honey sweetness up front that changes to nice clearly strawberry flavours in the middle and finishes with more honey sweetness and a slightly strange medicinal herbal finish. Yep, definately sorgum.

M - Mouthfeel is nice and enjoyable. Good carbonation, alcohol is hidden nicely by the sweetness, though it is a bit too sweet. Almost syrupy sweet, but still light.

O - Overall this is a damn good sorgum beer. Its jsut hard for me to get into these, the after taste always kills it for me. Still though, this is better than other gluton free beers I've had.

2.83/5  rDev -8.1%

Amber strawberry blonde in color. Pleasant touch of foam but not highly carbonated. Tart and faintly flavored. I wouldn't say it tastes like strawberry or anything else. Maybe a hint of malt. Barely a twinge of hops. I'm not sure what the point of this is, except maybe to brew a cidery beverage that is less flavorful than any other cider-like liquid.

Clean and well made, for what it is. Might be a good quaff but it lacks even that bitterish beer flavor that we like. Faintly medicinal, even tastes like alcohol for lack of other flavors.

12 oz bottle from Olive Tree in OB.

3.47/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a one-finger white head that dissapeared rather quickly in to my pint glass. Crystal clear cider-like gold color. No lacing or anything. Nothing stood out on first look. The aroma is that of sweet berry with a subtle syrupy sweetness to follow.

Upon first sip, dry white wine is the first thing that came to mind. A bit of berry and light honey. A bit tart, but finishes very clean. A very bubbly brew that also has a slight syrupy feeling. Not as sweet as the label would lead you to believe, but pretty refreshing. Seems like it would be a nice summer beer to have after doing some yard work.

3.17/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Appearance- Thin white head that doesn't last long at all. Clear golden color, which reminds me of a lager.

Smell- I can smell both the buckwheat honey and strawberries. Maybe some straw and wheat too.

Taste- WAY more berry in the taste than in the nose. This beer has a sour/sweet thing going on that is quite nice.

Mouthfeel- Almost has a strawberry seltzer feel to it. The honey does give this beer a nice mouthfeel.

Overall- This is by far the worst DFH beer I've ever had, but that's kinda like saying "This one-hundred dollar bill is diirty." It's a good beer worth trying, but I will not seek it out again.

3.68/5  rDev +19.5%

12 oz bottle dated 1/30/2012 poured into a snifter

A- A clear copper color with a slight red tint and a one finger white head that fades quickly.

S- Some strawberries and honey, nice tart and sweet combo.

T- Tart strawberries, some honey, light earthy notes, good balance of flavors.

M- Smooth, light to medium body, crisp, refreshing.

O- This beer really surprised me, and I am enjoying it more and more. Definitely will pick this up again, I feel that DFH did a good job with this.

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

Bottled 30JAN12

Pours an orange ale with the slightest pink twinge to it. Some white foam and spotty lace. Brilliant clarity. Smells like a light beer with strawberries and honey - really simple. A pleasant nose with nice subtly. Taste is interestingly fruity - the strawberries are there, slightly tart and effervescent. There is a certain woody flavor along with the honey, which is slight and just barely perceptible. Thin with hi carb and a wet finish. It's an okay beer, but not something I am likely to seek out again. Interesting concept and reminds me more that I drink the bottle, of the flavor I get in Quaker Instant Strawberries and Cream oatmeal (but WAY more subtle, more like an undertow).

3.57/5  rDev +15.9%

Bottled on 1/30/12, pretty damn fresh.

Poured into a DFH over sized wine glass.

Nice clarity to a thin brew. Shimmery bright copper though the clarity makes this seem a lighter shade than pure copper. In darker light this takes on reddish hues. It was tough coaxing any head out of this one though some large bubbles ring the glass indefinitely.

The aroma is the best part of the beer. Strawberry is light - never artificial or awkward - but immediately apparent. There's a floury bent to things, and the honey actually comes through nicely as well.

The flavor is certainly fruity, though the strawberry isn't super distinct - sort of like if you didn't know what fruit was used here you might mistake it for something else. The fruitiness has a jam-like quality to it, and the honey lends a syrupy sweetness. The DFH website claims molasses flavors in the sorghum they used, but I am not getting anything that dark or heavy in my bottle.

There's also a mild tartness - a residual effect of adding so much fruit I suppose - but it actually works well. I'd love to see this brewed with both strawberry and rhubarb to really play on the sour factor and add some more depth to the flavor.

Thin bodied beer with a chewy/syrupy feel.

Overall much better than I expected - though this is also my first ever gluten-free beer. For what it is I feel it is a success, but I don't foresee myself desiring to purchase more in the near future. Should I ever fall prey to a disease that required I only consume gluten-free food though, well, I suppose that I wouldn't mind sipping on this regularly.

3.07/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a golden yellow color and a clear consistency. There was a small amount of foamy head that quickly dissipated. Very little lacing.

S: Not huge aroma here, but some strawberry and malt were evident.

T: Tasted of strawberry, honey, and some malt. Mostly this was a thin, uninteresting beer. Either the strawberry and honey didn't work well together, or there wasn't enough of them. Not a great flavor.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a creamy finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This might be my least favorite Dogfish Head beer. It seems like a half-formed idea of a beer.

3.62/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dogfish Head
Tweason'ale

Pours a light clear golden color with a small fizzy head. In the aroma, fresh strawberries and a mint like herbal note. The taste is similar, tasty strawberries, gummy sorghum, a touch of herb, spice, bitters, and finishes sweet. Not too beery, but a little alcohol. Comes off a bit winecooler-esque, but a good one. Refreshing flavor. Light bodied, fizzy feel. Overall, this is a great option for those with gluten allergies. Tastes like a more commercial flavored malt beverage, sans malt.

3.95/5  rDev +28.2%

Poured an absolutely clear tangerine color with a finger of bright white head. Aroma of honey and sweet strawberries -- this one isn't kidding about the fruit component.

Moderate carbonation and a light mouthfeel. Strawberries up front followed by wheaty notes (though obviously there isn't any) and a fuller, sweeter honey/berry quality on the finish.

Actually enjoyed this one quite a bit...maybe a little too strawberry-dominated, but it doesn't come across too artificial or cloying. Gives Festina Pêche a run for its summer money!

3.55/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle, bottled on 1/30/12. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The brew smells like strawberries, honey, and there's also a grainy aroma. The taste is pretty much just like the aroma, but there's also a slight green grape/white wine-like flavor noticeable. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, and it has decent carbonation. Overall I think it's a decent enough brew. For a gluten-free beer, it's not bad at all. I'd buy it again, it is refreshing and easy to drink. $8.99 for a 4-pack.

3.29/5  rDev +6.8%

Picked this up for my gluten-free roommate, figured i'd give it a shot.

Beer pours a pale straw gold with a fizzy head that quickly dissipates into one solid ring around the glass.

I get a bunch of sugary honey on the nose...similar to the honey character i've gotten in midas' touch. Then some berry notes with a slight grain character in the background to balance it out.

Taste is very similar to apple juice. Lot of fruit that fades into a weak grainy finish with some alcohol. Not much going on here.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin without much carbonation. Works for a watery weak beer like this.

Overall I like the honey and berry characteristics but I feel like they aren't supported by the malt bill. Very watery on the taste. This is my first sorghum so I don't have anything to hold it up against, but maybe people with gluten allergies just weren't meant to drink beer.

Nutrition Facts on the label: Holy Shit Sam you've gone main stream...170 calories in a gluten free beer this isn't light beer. Certified Gluten Free, I haven't seen that on the other Celiac friendly beers. This one pours with a very fizzy carbonation forms a white head, while the body is a light pale copper with maybe a kiss of pink showing off the strawbeery juice added. Aroma is tame a hint of fruit, tart fruit but I can't really say strawberry from just the smell...also a bit of generic assorted grains with a touch of honey notes. Flavor wise it's kind of like kissing a strawberry blonde hippie chick that hasn't bathed in a few days there's just something not right about it. A layer of mint or earthiness, a little bit of a dirty layer of beeswax and buckwheat, tart strawberry jame like real jam minus the concentrated sugars. Even bodied carbonation finishes a bit strange and I can't believe it's six percent alcohol by volume, an interesting beer for all of the Celiac patients out there and I think chicks would have loved it if the calorie count was staring them in the face. Overall a nice attempt at a craft version of a gluten free beer that is palatable with a DFH spin.

3.15/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Translucent reddish gold, very little head, a little bit above average carbonation.

S- Strong smell of strawberries and mix of other vegetables and fruit. Fairly sweet with slight honey smell.

T- Strawberries, a little bit of a white wine taste.

M- Light bodied, drinkable, decent carbonation.

O- I wasn't overly impressed with this beer, one of my least favorite DFH beers. It wasn't overly filled with flavor, and the flavor it did have was kind of a watered down strawberry white wine flavor. Not really my style of beer, but I could maybe see how some people might like it.

3.45/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I have a hunch that the reason the scores are so low on here is because a) this is gluten free b) because it's Dogfish Head... the brewery everyone else seems to love to hate due to their success.

A: Fairly clear, and with a carbonation bill that appeared more reminiscent of a cider rather than a beer. The color itself resembled a melted orange popsicle, with a hint of red food coloring.

S: Once again.... cider - it had that sugary consistency on the nose to my mind. I'm not familiar with buckwheat honey, but this totally smells like both buckwheat and honey. I wouldn't have guess strawberry as the fruit of the day here.... more like apples and-or pears.

T: Okay, I got the same signature DFH taste profile that I always get on Sam's historic, gourmet entries: honey, wheat, and melted Jolly Rancher. In this case though, the sweetness is VERY bleached out and wasn't cloying at all. I started to get hints of strawberry the more I sipped.... especially at the end. A tad watery, but still good.

M: More gelatinous as opposed to spritzy texture-wise. Like I said, the sweetness was disciplined, but the fruit notes still popped. I got more of an impression of honey rather than the actual product. Absolutely no lacing whatsoever and very little in terms of carbonation.

O: So I guess DFH is going to produce this one several times a year during between seasons (hence the name "Tweason'ale." This was good but not great. However, those of you who love ciders as opposed to beer are going to love it!

2.57/5  rDev -16.6%

This beer was served cold in a Imperial Pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is clear golden coloration. The head of the beer is thin white with no retention.

S- The beer truly smells like honeyed strawberry jam very floral in the background.

T- Taste far better than I expected. The beer has a buckwheat pancake flavor covered in semi sweet strawberry jam just a flash of cloves breaking up sweetness.

M- The body of the beer is light and well carbonated. Kind of reminds me of a malturnative. The beer needs a more active carbonation.

O- Nowhere near as good as I hoped and not as bad as I feared. An ok experience but not one to seek out again. Back to the drawing board DFH.

3.14/5  rDev +1.9%

Pristinely clear golden color with a tidbit head of little strength. No aspect impressing.

Certainly an interesting syrupy malt aroma tied into red berry fruits. Jammy strawberry nose with a buckwheat pancake malt package.

Tangy white wine upfront with some metallic/citric acidities. A little white raspberry and donut peach. More jammy berry preserves in the aftertaste. The malts thinned out in the flavor. Some celery and green bitterness that might come from the hops, or might not. I might have to say that I'm not a fan of the malt profile of sorghum.

Clean, crisp, drinkable, and best served cold. Spritzy and thin. Not sticky.

This is interesting, to say the most. Not my style, nor my flavor. I like the effort, and at least it's gluten-free, right? I dunno. I'll just avoid this one from here on out.

2.92/5  rDev -5.2%

A- Poured into a Duvel tulip... starts with a white fizzy head that disappears almost as quickly as it appeared. Beer is a light amber color with light activity

S- Not as aromatic as I expected based on the reviews I read prior to opening. Does have a definitive strawberry aroma, very similar to that of strawberry chapstick... though not quite as intense

T- I'm not sure if there will eventually be a gluten free beer category on the site, but I feel it might be a good idea. I've never heard anyone say that they had a gluten free beer that they enjoyed, so I went into this one expecting a horrible tasting beer masked with strawberries and honey... pretty much what I got in my opinion. It's missing certain qualities that I can't quite determine that make it taste like beer, though the strawberry flavor that's present makes it almost enjoyable

M- Light bodied with light carbonation

O- Definitely not my thing. I just read an article that the hot new thing this year is going to be gluten free beers, which I'm all for as there seems to be a fairly decent demand for the category. I also feel that there should be a separate category for these if there are in fact more in the works from other breweries. Maybe this one would be at the top of the list for gluten free beers, but as for the Fruit / Vegetable Beer category, it just doesn't cut it

CHEERS

4.12/5  rDev +33.8%

A: Golden hue with no lace
S: You can definitely smell the strawberries, sugar and honey. It smells amazing
T: First taste is strawberries with a hint of sugar, continuing with a taste of honey on the back end.
M: Very light and refreshing. I think this will be a perfect summer sipper.

O: Great fruit beer, I will be drinking many more of these!

Tweason'ale from Dogfish Head Brewery