Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Tweason'ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Tweason'aleTweason'ale

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: pwoody11 on 07-01-2011

For our first new 12-ounce 4-packs in nearly half a decade, we replaced the classic barley foundation of beer with a mild sorghum base. The hints of molasses and pit-fruit are balanced by vibrant strawberry notes and a unique complexity that comes with the addition of a malty buckwheat honey.

We believe health-conscious beer drinkers and the millions of Americans who suffer from Celiac disease can cut back on gluten while relishing the distinction and drinkability of this very special brew.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tweason'ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 289 | Hads: 1,273
2.02/5  rDev -36.7%

Hazy tawny copper color with some orange hues. Thin bright white head with large carbonation and no retention.

Strawberry, fruit punch, cherry kool-aid, honeysuckle, bubblegum. Very sweet on the nose.

Strawberry, bubblegum, candied bitterness from the sorghum.

Light+ bodied, thin and slightly watery. Carbonation is nettles in it's texture against the palate, slightly magnifying the bitter quality. Finish is short with the kool-aid lingering.

I am honestly not thinking about this as beer, but as a gluten-free beverage. The problem is that Tweasen'ale is trying to be both a beer substitute for someone who must avoid gluten, and it's also trying to approach the problem through fruit and honey. It doesn't make it on either front: it has no relation to a standard beer and the fruit tastes very candied and artificial in the final product. While I am a Dogfish Head fan, I think they missed the mark here. (914 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +19.7%

Eye: Not perfectly clear, but clear enough. All in all it looks nice in the glass. Color is reddish when the light passes through it but just sitting here it looks more brown. Very, very active carbonation. Head is a creamy 1/2 finger that sticks around and is just a touch off white in color. Lacing is pretty much nonexistent.

Nose: Strawberry and light honey notes are dominant here. Smells just like the label implies-strawberries and honey. Fruit aroma of strawberries is real, meaning I can tell real fruit is used here as opposed to extract flavoring.

Tongue: Strawberries upfront and the close to this beer is the sorghum. It doesn't taste like malt...best way to describe it is this beer's malt profile is to regular pasta is to brown rice pasta. Body is light and carbonation is appropriate, its not too active on the palate and I'm glad for that...anymore and it would be "spritzy." Finish is dry, and I'm thinking that it is due to the sorghum. Strawberry flavor persists throughout. As far as gluten free beers go, this is one of the better ones to date.

Drinkability: My mother is a Celiac so this is one that I'll be picking up for her. Its nice to see that there are other options out there besides pale type lager beers that aren't all that great as well as Belgian GF beers that just taste like some gross cider. As far as the rest of the beer community goes, its worth a try, but really not much to come back to less you can't have gluten. And for all of you who think gluten free diets are all the fad, I really don't understand your thinking... I can bet you any amount of money that you may think you are eating gluten free on your "fad diet" but you are not because it is in everything, I mean everything...Gummy bears-yeah.

I would like to see what this beer tasted like without the strawberries, they add a bit that I think might just clash with the sorghum, it would be nice to see what it is like without it and perhaps with some other fruit or just no fruit and fermented with a different yeast strain or aged in some kind of barrel to give it some more flavor. (2,095 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -8.2%

Beer pours a crystal clear light honey color not unlike an IPA. The aroma is floral and honey. No noticeable head. Texture is watery with medium carbonation. Body is light. Taste is definitely unusual. I am not sure what they are trying to do here. I respect what the brewmaster was trying to do, but it seems like a stretch to call it an ale. For now, this is not a brew that I would come back to often. (404 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: Beer pours from bottle to the pint glass a clear, light amber color with a bubbly white head that quickly fizzles out.
S: Earthy, grainy aroma with a smooth honey note and a hint of strawberries. Hops are distant in the background.
T: Grainy, musty, a bit sweet with strawberry and honey notes and mild tartness in the finish.
M: Sharp bubbly carbonation and syrupy light body.
O: Not one of Dogfish's best beers but to tackle the gluten-free category they make this a solid effort. For those with sensitivities to gluten, this is a good option to try! (555 characters)

To be fair, this is my first venture into gluten free beer.

The taste is like tangy strawberry drink. I don't get any of the beer flavors I love and look for. I don't regret every sip, but I probably won't finish my glass.

Hats off to the gluten free brewing, you are doing a great service. (293 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +31%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this on tap over the weekend at the brew pub in Rehobeth. It was fresh, clear and had a fantastic taste. The color was good and the smell showed the fruit added to the batch. I'd recommend it as a great medium bodied beer for the summer. It wasn't too heavy (263 characters)

I love everything Dogfish has but this is the worst beer by far that I have ever had. Hands down, crap in a bottle; for $50 bucks a case I not only feel raped but robbed as well. This should be flushed down a toilet, only I fear that insects may come across it, drink and be just has disgusted as I was. I hope this beer burns in hell for what it did to my mouth. (363 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured with a strawberry red hue added to the malty amber body. Love the color but the head was borderline nonexistent.

The scent is quite pretty with a bouquet of sweet strawberry and sorghum, as advertised.

The taste is like a strawberry wine. Almost Zinfendal like in taste there's a bit of harshness. I don't detect much in the way of buckwheat or the sorghum, just strawberry sweetness.

Overall I can appreciate the effort but perhaps strawberry is not meant to be in an ale as the sweetness overpowered the rest of the beer. (533 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This brew pours and orange-brown color with a small head which dissipates quickly;minimal lacing and lots of carbonation.

The smell is strawberries, honey, lemongrass. It is kind of funky, damp and syrupy.

The taste is strawberries, some honey, not enough, a weird earthy, potato like flavor; I guess it is the sorghum. The high carbonation kind of gets in the way of the taste. Strawberry dominates the taste.

The mouthfeel is strong with carbonation. I can't say much else about it.

This brew is okay on a hot day, I am drinking it on a hot day right now, but there is too much carbonation and not enough hops, like most fruit beers, for me to say that I would like to have this again. (692 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Orange-gold with nice foam that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Strawberries and lemon. A refreshing smell, but there is something a bit...off about it. Maybe a bit too artificial.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Strawberry rhubarb pie and canteloupe. Not getting the honey so much. Whiskey flavor in the finish. I love the crisp and bubbly mouthfeel. Did not epect this in a gluten-free beer.

Overall: One of Dogfish Head's most refreshing beers, even if it is a bit odd. (467 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a beautiful gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a light, fruity scent that seems a tad boozy; definitely lacking a malt base. The taste is decent. It has a smooth, yet tart with an apple cider flavor. It goes down slow and easy with a watery, sour finish. The mouthfeel is decent as well. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a drinkable, non-malt beer with character. I like it for what it is, but nothing more. (513 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -26.6%

I've been putting this off and off, but eventually I have to tackle it. Not really even sure why I bought it, but with a gorgeous spring day out seemed like the one to grab.

Pours a light fizzy head that hits a finger but fades quickly, big bubbles and mostly air in the head, no lacing, over a clear amber orange colored beer with faint pinkish hue.

Nose is weird, it has some strawberry wafts, a bit of an under ripened strawberry, with light almost fake sweet aromas like a syrupy extract thing, a light effervescent champagne like aroma with sparkling strawberry wine.

Taste starts with a fake syrupy extract flavor, obviously the sorghum, then into the wet cardboard flavor, some oxidation I think, and a little corked like flavor even though there's no cork in it, and a light almost wheat flavor but not quite there, again the effervescent like sparkling fruit wine flavors, with some light white unripened strawberry. Finish is more wet cardboard, with a little sticky syrupy mess, as well as light green under ripened strawberry flavor again, and a very faint honey.

Mouth is med to lighter bodied, plenty of carbonation.

Overall meh, didn't have high expectations but the wet cardboard cork flavor really hurt the beer even more. If it wasn't for that it would be tolerable, but that just ruins any possibility. (1,326 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +2.2%

This beer had a copper color when poured with a thin, light brown head. The beer had a very light mouth feel. The beer tasted like strawberries with hints of honey and molasses. The finish was tart and light. I liked that the beer had a light finish, but I was hoping for a stronger flavor. With that being said, this beer is still far more flavorful than other gluten-free beers out there. (390 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours an orangish color with a thin tan head. Aromas of strawberries. The taste starts with a hint of strawberry, then some musty sweetness, then a tart, light finish. Mouthfeel is a bit light, especially for 6% abv. Overall not a beer that I would seek out again, but decent enough tasting. (291 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +23.5%

12 oz. bottle, bottled on date reads 11/06/2012. Bought this as a single at the local beer store, and I am excited to try it. Haven't had a Dogfish Head beer in a while, and this is one I haven't tried before.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a nice cloudy orange color with some bubble action. Head is a thin quarter inch cap of white fizz which disappears instantly.

S - Fruity sweetness. Can definitely smell the strawberry. Honey. Brown sugar. Apple cider / wine like smell. More berry. Smells very enticing.

T - Crisp, tart, light bodied. Apples. Cider / wine like tartness again. Not a lot of prominent strawberry, but there is a berry taste that hangs on as strong as it can, I guess. I am in love with the tartness, and wish it had more. Very natural and delicious, though.

M - Quick, clean, crisp, tart, dry finish. Slightly sticky sugar aftertaste.

Overall, a job well done by the folks over at Dogfish Head. This beer is a pleasant treat for our gluten intolerant friends, although it stands on it's own as a tasty and satisfying beer. One I would definitely buy again.

Dogfish Head Tweason'ale ---4/5. (1,140 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured form a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

Color is golden. Less than a finger thick bubbly head with low retention. Very less lacing. No bubbles. Translucent.

Aroma is slightly of fruit punch. Some heat and malt liquor. A bit of strawberry and a very wine like smell.

Flavor is again very much like a fruit punch with slight tilt towards strawberry. Finish is sweet and tangy.

Mouth feel is light-medium with moderate carbonation. No astringency.

Very poor drinking ale. I would avoid it at all costs. Not for me. This beer is for wine converts. (556 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a crystal clear reddish copper with a short-lived head. Aromas are amazing - hyper floral notes of rose petal potpourri, grandma's perfume, and ripe strawberries. Tastes is odd but not unappealing - the best I can describe it is as rose water with phenolic honey hints. Body is thin and watery, under-carbonated. An interesting beer to sample but not to stock up on unless gluten-free is your game. (404 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle opened on 2.16.13
Bottle 1/30/12

A - Pours a clear light orange with a fizzy white head that is gone fast.

S - Grapes and old fruit, fermented smelling.

T - White grapes, fruity, apples.

D - Decent carbonation with a light body.

O - Gluten free, not that good. Pass if you can. The wife wanted something light, this is all I could offer. Sorry. (356 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This is the beer that Dogfish Head releases after no new beers for 5 years? It confirms my feelings that DFH has become a stagnant and lazy brewery, very much missing opportunities to put out interesting and creative beers.

For a gluten free beer, this is quite powerful. It's almost like strawberry juice/water. Strong and pungent and I can't really get any subtle character off of it. It's a nice drinker, and for someone with a gluten allergy I would think it'd be nice. But for me, it's way too strong. (508 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

(Served in a chalice)
A- This beer pours a crystal clear deep orange hue with a slow carbonation popping to the surface and a thin white film boils away before the first sip.

S- The slight musty wet grain aroma has a soft sorghum note to and a clover honey mellow hint in the finish.

T- the mead bite has a soft fruity strawberry hint that is followed by a watery taste and a white wine and mead bite in the finish.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a soft alcohol heat and a fizzy finish.

O- This is a fair strawberry mead that is a bit one dimensional. I really like the flavor of sorghum but it doesn’t show up here and there is not much else to taste. (671 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Orangish-tan and clear with a so-so head and not much lacing.

Aroma is strawberries with light honey and a slightly sour note.

Taste is pretty nicely strawberry, with some honey, graininess, a light tartness, light bitterness, and some indistinct graininess.

Body is light and just a little fizzy, almost like a soda, but with beer. Easy to drink.

Overall I think it's my first gluten-free beer, and thus it's hard to compare against others of its kind. However, it's tasty enough, although not one of my favorites from DFH. (529 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -3.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Pale orange color, lots of carbonation. The 1/2 finger head fades quick quickly.
S: Strawberry jam and manufactured sour mix
T: This reminds me a bit of some sour ales I've had, with sourness up front followed by some grain-like flavors and a fresh strawberry finish. I don't love it but at the same time it's not bad
M: Light-bodied with a refreshing acidity and peasant carbonation
O: My wife has Celiac and while she's not a beer fan in general, I got this for her to try. Overall I would not drink this regularly, but at the same time given the reputation of many gluten free beers, I figured if any brewery could pull it off it would be DFH and I was right. Kudos for the effort. (724 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Appearance. Pours a clear peach-gold with a half finger of bubbly white head that vanishes is mere seconds.

Smell. Sweet strawberry candy and grape juice along with a bit of interesting, spicy earthyness.

Taste. Strawberry, but not as fake as the smell, grassy herbs and mineral water ...like perrier but stronger mineral flavours. Interesting and not all that terrible.

Mouthfeel. Lighter, kinda thin body with medium-strong carbonation.

Overall. Not a bad beer considering it's unconventional ingredients, but I would think a beer-loving, recently discovered celiac could find a better beverage choice... (612 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Poured this Fruit Beer from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This ale poured a clear reddish golden color, produced a thin fizzy white head (this beer fizzed like a soda)- Very poor retention and no lacing left on the glass. The aroma of this ale was dominated by strawberries and honey. Medium in body, since this is a gluten free beer- it lacks much of any malted base- in fact it has none- but with that said, there are flavors of citric oranges, lemons and tart strawberries. Thank God I don't have an issue with Gluten- it was nice to try this brew but nothing that I wold ever buy again. (594 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Different. I’m torn between describing it as a decent fruit flavored mead or the best strawberry soda I’ve ever had.

If I ever do decide to go gluten-free (and I just might), I wouldn’t hesitate to drink this. In the meantime, I’ll stick to my IPAs and lagers. (270 characters)

Tweason'ale from Dogfish Head Brewery