Tweason'ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: pwoody11 on 07-01-2011

For our first new 12-ounce 4-packs in nearly half a decade, we replaced the classic barley foundation of beer with a mild sorghum base. The hints of molasses and pit-fruit are balanced by vibrant strawberry notes and a unique complexity that comes with the addition of a malty buckwheat honey.

We believe health-conscious beer drinkers and the millions of Americans who suffer from Celiac disease can cut back on gluten while relishing the distinction and drinkability of this very special brew.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tweason'ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,256 | Reviews: 299
2.95/5  rDev -4.2%

Bottled on 12/18/13

Look: Pours copper, no lacing, no head.

Aroma: The strawberry is not overpowering, but it is there.

Taste: I was expecting a more fruity taste, but it was lacking. Still had a strawberry finish.

Feel: Heavy feel, almost like drinking watered down honey.

Overall: This was the only bottle of Dogfish the local liquor store had for sale, I expected more from it.

3.58/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Crystal clear copper body with a fizzling white head.

Aroma: Sweet syrupy strawberry and jam.

Taste: Not as potently sweet as I was expecting, which works in its favor. Starts with a slightly watery strawberry flavor that builds in aggressiveness until the finish. The finish is crisp and the aftertastes leaves a quite interesting taste of winterfresh gum on the palate. The sorghum is hidden very well here and is only slightly detectable. At 6% ABV it drinks like a lighter beer but that can mostly be attributed to the high level of effervescence.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body with above average carbonation. Decent drinkability and definitely sessionable for those with a gluten allergy.

Final Thoughts: I’m not sure this beer was all that fresh but it’s difficult to find any flaws. The fact that this beer is gluten-free is hardly brought up in the flavor. Another good beer from a great brewery. Would I drink it again? Yes, tweasonally.

3.62/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Screaming with odoriferous emanations of strawberry shortcake, Tweason' ale is an inviting entry into the fruit-beer market; being gluten free is a massive added bonus. Hazy reddish amber with a sedentary head, this brew is quite tempting. the nose has a beautiful essence of the strawberries within, but the malted nose gives it authenticity. Slightly bitter and marginally sweet, this beer satisfies quite well. If you are sensitive to gluten, this is truly a wonderful alternative to those brews with similar attributes which are simply non-potable to the Celiac sufferer. Kudos to DFH.

3.9/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottled on 01/22/13

Poured into a pint glass.

Look: Pours a copper color with almost no head. (I should have got violent with it) There doesn't seem like much lacing, not sure if that's just how the brew is, or my glass is messed up, or what. Nothing special, so I give it my usual "good" of 3.75.

Aroma: At first there was a lot! I was getting the obvious whiff of strawberry, but more like a Jolly Rancher type strawberry, probably the honey that's in there that is doing that. Didn't pick up on the honey too much, and there wasn't time. After about two minutes, the aroma just straight up died. So I can't really say what else is suppose to be there. It gets a 3.75 for the initial burst of smell, which was awesome, but not any higher, as I didn't get to enjoy it.

Taste: My first thoughts were watered down Strawberry Kool-Aid. (That sounds bad, but to me, it was pretty good.) After a bit of warmth, the malty-likeness comes through in the honey. I wish I had more experience with Sorghum in brews, as it seems like it's interesting. (Just not sure if that's what is making it interesting!)

Feel: A weird combination of crisp and light, with something heavier. It finishes heavy. But the first sip is like Sprite. No detection of the mild ABV.

Overall: I had no idea what to expect with this one, and it's a very solid fruit beer. I've only found a couple of others that I genuinely like, and I'll now add this one to the list. Nothing outstanding that'll make me search it out, but when I'm in the mood, and it's in my field of vision, I won't hesitate to pick it up.

3.23/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Orangy, copper. Has a head only while pouring but disappears shortly thereafter. No head remains however, lots of carbonation bubbles on side of glass. Clear as can be.

S - Much more like white wine then a true beer. Light and fruity.

T - Much more like sparkling wine then beer. Taste is light and crisp. Hints of strawberry are there. Refreshing.

M - Thin as wine. Slight tartness left in mouth after each sip.

O - This is a nice beverage to drink. My wife is gluten free and why we have it around the house. I definitely think of this more in a sparkling wine category vs. a beer category. That being said, for what it is, it is good. In the beer spectrum, its only ok.

3.77/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Apperance: A very interesting dark honey-like amber

Smell: A very light smell that actually does not give the full flavor body. Like strawberry nodes!

Taste: At first gulp the large carbonation gives a light beer flavor but finishes with a strong sense of strawberry - BUT this is easily the best gluten-free beer or one of the best

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated and then smooth similar to Angry Orchard's line of hard ciders

Overall: An excellent beer for those who seldom drink or have an aversion to gluten. Very much a warm weather beer that borders on a cider with its strong strawberry flavor. A must for the gluten-free

3.52/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Tried this out of a 12 ounce bottle poured into a stout/porter glass.

A - 3.75 - dark orange/copper colored beer with no head, looks like the carbonation is pretty heavy with a lot of bubbles coming through

S - 3.50 - huge dry white wine, ripe strawberry sourness, not very complex at all

T - 3.50 - there and gone, dry wine/strawberry sourness with a distinct beer flavor I've only gotten from a few other beers, I'm having a hard time placing it but I'm assuming it's from the Sorghum? Maybe a tiny hint of hops in there, but not much. Kind of like a strawberry cider.

M - 3.50 - Heavy carbonation, taste is there and gone, with a light cider aftertaste. Basically no bitterness.

O - 3.50 - This "beer" taste more like wine than beer. It seems more like a novelty than anything.

Bought a four pack in Denver, very interested and enjoyed the comical artwork on the pack. Didn't know what to expect. Also interesting that this was gluten free.

The appearance is very pleasant and just what I was expecting. Maybe even a bit nicer than expected. Has a light caramel and orange appearance and almost this very slight pinkish tone. The crisp white head dissipates fast but hangs around the edges.

Smells really good, sweet strawberries, a noticeable tartness intermingling with the pleasant touch of buckwheat honey. Almost candy like with a tad bit of caramel. Very clean smell, very floral... not heavy, more like walking into a florists cooler. Or getting that scent while you pass by.

Tastes great to me, especially for a gluten free beer. This is probably hands down the best gluten free beer I have ever had, too. Comes in with a very light grain taste, but then explodes into floral notes that swing in with slightly under ripe strawberries. A clean crisp, and very mild tartness that is fresh and pretty right on strawberry taste, definitely not imitation or candy. It's sweet but not too sweet, just a very even sweetness. I've had Belgian browns and darks that are sweeter than this. After the strawberry hits the earthiness and dryness of the buckwheat honey bursts in too. Just the intermingling of strawberry tartness and buckwheat earthiness... very nice. My only warning about this is that you v=really need to enjoy buckwheat honey, which is quite distinct from other honey.

Mouthfeel is perfect too, a little tart and dry but really, REALLY, clean and crisp. The carbonation is bright and cleans the palate. Not overly bubbly... just right and just what I had hoped for in a late summer/early autumn kind of beer.

Call me crazy (trust me, you won't be the first, nor will you be the last... so I don't care), but this is a pretty right on fruit beer that is also gluten free. I mean, if I couldn't have gluten I would load up on this brew. It's great. Dogfish did a great job on this one, great quality, great taste and all around pretty fair price for a very good four pack. If I see this again I am liable to by more without much thought. I'll be enjoying the rest in the weeks to come, that is for sure.

3.71/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This ale is interesting....the liquid is utterly clear, with a thin white head, and a stream of bubbles. The smell is subtle, but multifaceted with fruit...berries. I got strawberry, as noted on the label, but I also thout I smelled some raspberries. The beer is semi dry, with a lot of fruit. There is a slightly astringent, grainy taste. Almost salty as well? Medium body. Although not an exceptional beer, this beer is very engaging.

3.3/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz single served in pint glass. Cold. Beer pours a pleasant orange hued pale color, with nearly no head, and a sweet but pleasant aroma with a decent hit of strawberry in the nose.

Flavor is considerably more dry. The honey tastes entirely fermented out, the flavor is more floral, mixed with strawberry. And even though it's dry, there's no particular hop character. Pretty good, but could just as easily be mistaken for a dry flavored cider. Pretty fizzy, but not too bad. Drinkable if not super exciting.

2.02/5  rDev -34.4%

Hazy tawny copper color with some orange hues. Thin bright white head with large carbonation and no retention.

Strawberry, fruit punch, cherry kool-aid, honeysuckle, bubblegum. Very sweet on the nose.

Strawberry, bubblegum, candied bitterness from the sorghum.

Light+ bodied, thin and slightly watery. Carbonation is nettles in it's texture against the palate, slightly magnifying the bitter quality. Finish is short with the kool-aid lingering.

I am honestly not thinking about this as beer, but as a gluten-free beverage. The problem is that Tweasen'ale is trying to be both a beer substitute for someone who must avoid gluten, and it's also trying to approach the problem through fruit and honey. It doesn't make it on either front: it has no relation to a standard beer and the fruit tastes very candied and artificial in the final product. While I am a Dogfish Head fan, I think they missed the mark here.

3.82/5  rDev +24%

Eye: Not perfectly clear, but clear enough. All in all it looks nice in the glass. Color is reddish when the light passes through it but just sitting here it looks more brown. Very, very active carbonation. Head is a creamy 1/2 finger that sticks around and is just a touch off white in color. Lacing is pretty much nonexistent.

Nose: Strawberry and light honey notes are dominant here. Smells just like the label implies-strawberries and honey. Fruit aroma of strawberries is real, meaning I can tell real fruit is used here as opposed to extract flavoring.

Tongue: Strawberries upfront and the close to this beer is the sorghum. It doesn't taste like malt...best way to describe it is this beer's malt profile is to regular pasta is to brown rice pasta. Body is light and carbonation is appropriate, its not too active on the palate and I'm glad for that...anymore and it would be "spritzy." Finish is dry, and I'm thinking that it is due to the sorghum. Strawberry flavor persists throughout. As far as gluten free beers go, this is one of the better ones to date.

Drinkability: My mother is a Celiac so this is one that I'll be picking up for her. Its nice to see that there are other options out there besides pale type lager beers that aren't all that great as well as Belgian GF beers that just taste like some gross cider. As far as the rest of the beer community goes, its worth a try, but really not much to come back to less you can't have gluten. And for all of you who think gluten free diets are all the fad, I really don't understand your thinking... I can bet you any amount of money that you may think you are eating gluten free on your "fad diet" but you are not because it is in everything, I mean everything...Gummy bears-yeah.

I would like to see what this beer tasted like without the strawberries, they add a bit that I think might just clash with the sorghum, it would be nice to see what it is like without it and perhaps with some other fruit or just no fruit and fermented with a different yeast strain or aged in some kind of barrel to give it some more flavor.

2.93/5  rDev -4.9%

Beer pours a crystal clear light honey color not unlike an IPA. The aroma is floral and honey. No noticeable head. Texture is watery with medium carbonation. Body is light. Taste is definitely unusual. I am not sure what they are trying to do here. I respect what the brewmaster was trying to do, but it seems like a stretch to call it an ale. For now, this is not a brew that I would come back to often.

3.18/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

A: Beer pours from bottle to the pint glass a clear, light amber color with a bubbly white head that quickly fizzles out.
S: Earthy, grainy aroma with a smooth honey note and a hint of strawberries. Hops are distant in the background.
T: Grainy, musty, a bit sweet with strawberry and honey notes and mild tartness in the finish.
M: Sharp bubbly carbonation and syrupy light body.
O: Not one of Dogfish's best beers but to tackle the gluten-free category they make this a solid effort. For those with sensitivities to gluten, this is a good option to try!

To be fair, this is my first venture into gluten free beer.

The taste is like tangy strawberry drink. I don't get any of the beer flavors I love and look for. I don't regret every sip, but I probably won't finish my glass.

Hats off to the gluten free brewing, you are doing a great service.

4.18/5  rDev +35.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this on tap over the weekend at the brew pub in Rehobeth. It was fresh, clear and had a fantastic taste. The color was good and the smell showed the fruit added to the batch. I'd recommend it as a great medium bodied beer for the summer. It wasn't too heavy

I love everything Dogfish has but this is the worst beer by far that I have ever had. Hands down, crap in a bottle; for $50 bucks a case I not only feel raped but robbed as well. This should be flushed down a toilet, only I fear that insects may come across it, drink and be just has disgusted as I was. I hope this beer burns in hell for what it did to my mouth.

3.46/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured with a strawberry red hue added to the malty amber body. Love the color but the head was borderline nonexistent.

The scent is quite pretty with a bouquet of sweet strawberry and sorghum, as advertised.

The taste is like a strawberry wine. Almost Zinfendal like in taste there's a bit of harshness. I don't detect much in the way of buckwheat or the sorghum, just strawberry sweetness.

Overall I can appreciate the effort but perhaps strawberry is not meant to be in an ale as the sweetness overpowered the rest of the beer.

3.48/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This brew pours and orange-brown color with a small head which dissipates quickly;minimal lacing and lots of carbonation.

The smell is strawberries, honey, lemongrass. It is kind of funky, damp and syrupy.

The taste is strawberries, some honey, not enough, a weird earthy, potato like flavor; I guess it is the sorghum. The high carbonation kind of gets in the way of the taste. Strawberry dominates the taste.

The mouthfeel is strong with carbonation. I can't say much else about it.

This brew is okay on a hot day, I am drinking it on a hot day right now, but there is too much carbonation and not enough hops, like most fruit beers, for me to say that I would like to have this again.

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Orange-gold with nice foam that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Strawberries and lemon. A refreshing smell, but there is something a bit...off about it. Maybe a bit too artificial.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Strawberry rhubarb pie and canteloupe. Not getting the honey so much. Whiskey flavor in the finish. I love the crisp and bubbly mouthfeel. Did not epect this in a gluten-free beer.

Overall: One of Dogfish Head's most refreshing beers, even if it is a bit odd.

3.59/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer pours a beautiful gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a light, fruity scent that seems a tad boozy; definitely lacking a malt base. The taste is decent. It has a smooth, yet tart with an apple cider flavor. It goes down slow and easy with a watery, sour finish. The mouthfeel is decent as well. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a drinkable, non-malt beer with character. I like it for what it is, but nothing more.

2.34/5  rDev -24%

I've been putting this off and off, but eventually I have to tackle it. Not really even sure why I bought it, but with a gorgeous spring day out seemed like the one to grab.

Pours a light fizzy head that hits a finger but fades quickly, big bubbles and mostly air in the head, no lacing, over a clear amber orange colored beer with faint pinkish hue.

Nose is weird, it has some strawberry wafts, a bit of an under ripened strawberry, with light almost fake sweet aromas like a syrupy extract thing, a light effervescent champagne like aroma with sparkling strawberry wine.

Taste starts with a fake syrupy extract flavor, obviously the sorghum, then into the wet cardboard flavor, some oxidation I think, and a little corked like flavor even though there's no cork in it, and a light almost wheat flavor but not quite there, again the effervescent like sparkling fruit wine flavors, with some light white unripened strawberry. Finish is more wet cardboard, with a little sticky syrupy mess, as well as light green under ripened strawberry flavor again, and a very faint honey.

Mouth is med to lighter bodied, plenty of carbonation.

Overall meh, didn't have high expectations but the wet cardboard cork flavor really hurt the beer even more. If it wasn't for that it would be tolerable, but that just ruins any possibility.

3.26/5  rDev +5.8%

This beer had a copper color when poured with a thin, light brown head. The beer had a very light mouth feel. The beer tasted like strawberries with hints of honey and molasses. The finish was tart and light. I liked that the beer had a light finish, but I was hoping for a stronger flavor. With that being said, this beer is still far more flavorful than other gluten-free beers out there.

3.13/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours an orangish color with a thin tan head. Aromas of strawberries. The taste starts with a hint of strawberry, then some musty sweetness, then a tart, light finish. Mouthfeel is a bit light, especially for 6% abv. Overall not a beer that I would seek out again, but decent enough tasting.

3.94/5  rDev +27.9%

12 oz. bottle, bottled on date reads 11/06/2012. Bought this as a single at the local beer store, and I am excited to try it. Haven't had a Dogfish Head beer in a while, and this is one I haven't tried before.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a nice cloudy orange color with some bubble action. Head is a thin quarter inch cap of white fizz which disappears instantly.

S - Fruity sweetness. Can definitely smell the strawberry. Honey. Brown sugar. Apple cider / wine like smell. More berry. Smells very enticing.

T - Crisp, tart, light bodied. Apples. Cider / wine like tartness again. Not a lot of prominent strawberry, but there is a berry taste that hangs on as strong as it can, I guess. I am in love with the tartness, and wish it had more. Very natural and delicious, though.

M - Quick, clean, crisp, tart, dry finish. Slightly sticky sugar aftertaste.

Overall, a job well done by the folks over at Dogfish Head. This beer is a pleasant treat for our gluten intolerant friends, although it stands on it's own as a tasty and satisfying beer. One I would definitely buy again.

Dogfish Head Tweason'ale ---4/5.

Tweason'ale from Dogfish Head Brewery