Tweason'ale - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: pwoody11 on 07-01-2011

For our first new 12-ounce 4-packs in nearly half a decade, we replaced the classic barley foundation of beer with a mild sorghum base. The hints of molasses and pit-fruit are balanced by vibrant strawberry notes and a unique complexity that comes with the addition of a malty buckwheat honey.

We believe health-conscious beer drinkers and the millions of Americans who suffer from Celiac disease can cut back on gluten while relishing the distinction and drinkability of this very special brew.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Tweason'ale Alström Bros
2.56/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle courtesy of csmiley. Thanks, dood!

Tweason’ Ale pours a very light gold color. Looks clear for the most part. Backlighting gives it a slight orange tint. Seems to have a very faint pink tint, as well. Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me. A soft white head sits on top. It rises just above the surface and falls quickly. Lacing was very light and spotty.

The nose is very weak and below average overall. It kicks off with a malty sweet smell. Grainy and earthy notes are apparent throughout. Light berry notes are present. They aren’t all that strong, but smell okay. Honey emerges and seems to take over. Smells a little buttery and odd. I’m not getting any alcohol at all. That’s about it. Not good. Needs work.

The flavor is also below average. That might be a little generous. It kicks off with earthy and grainy flavors. They are noted throughout. Those are followed by a honey flavor that’s rather prominent. There are some light berry notes, but they are subtle. They honestly don’t add much. It has an interesting buttery-like flavor that I do not like at all. Seems a little acidic. Alcohol is buried and isn’t noticeable. Eh. It’s not good. Needs work.

Tweason’ Ale has a light body. Carbonation is a little active. It feels watery and thin. It’s not bad. The feel is perhaps its best attribute. The flavor is not good, so its drinkability is limited. I wouldn’t say this one goes down easily. A 12 oz. bottle = a bit of a challenge.

Tweason’ Ale is not very good beer. I understand that it’s gluten free, and I applaud the efforts to craft such a product. However, it just doesn’t taste very good. One side note – I love the inclusion of nutrition facts on the label. This needs to happen much more frequently. As for the beer – it needs work. A lot actually.

2.15/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours an coppery orange hue with a small short lived white head. Aroma of berries, strawberries, some honey. Taste is a combination of sweet berries, predominantly strawberry, with a kind of nutty dry weird bitter taste. Palate is light crisp body with mild soda like carbonation. Finish is sweet berries, ending is a rather weird and unpleasant combination of flavors. I did not like this at all, could not finish drinking the whole bottle. Overall I would pass on this.

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

1.5/5  rDev -51.3%

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

2.55/5  rDev -17.2%

Perfectly transparent light amber color with a short eggshell white head. Pale malts, molasses, scotch and smoke with hints of strawberries, black currants and honey. The aroma is complex, and like most DFH brews almost smells like a mismatched group of scrap ingredients (which is not necessarily an awful thing.) Initial sip is full of strawberry and over carbonation, almost like a flat 99 cent soda from store24. Flavor rolls into a slightly more complex body with the hints of honey, molasses and dry scotch making their way through. Highly carbonated, light bodied with a dry, pale finish. Quite disappointed with this one; coming from a big DFH fan, in my opinion this might qualify as their worst.

3.24/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured into a pint glass. This one pours a slightly hazy amber red color with a finger of white head and some thin soapy lace.

Sweet gummy strawberries in the aroma. Seems like someone dropped some syrup in this one. Yep, this smells like strawberries. I'm surprised by this. Seems to have a bit of a tart strawberry flavor with a kiss of sweetness. It's very mild on the flavors but pretty tasty

The body is super light and the carbonation is what it should be. Overall I'm kind of impressed. I went into this one expecting to pour it out but it's solid. I'm sure it will make a lot of people who can't have gluten pretty happy.

1.25/5  rDev -59.4%

4.17/5  rDev +35.4%

This is my first gluten free beer, I am very interested givne the ingredients and it is a Dogfish Head creation.

Appearance: Pours a bubbly, clear apple cider color with a minimal head.

Smell: honey blossom, flowery, frozen strawberries. Very springy.

Taste: surprisingly refreshing with strawberry jam notes, thin honey, grains, and a flash of watermelon.

I am very impressed and expect this to be a much better beer than RedBridge or Bard's, it almost tastes like a real beer!

2.22/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle (dated January 30th 2012) into a pint glass:

A: Pours a crystal clear, medium gold hue with a very small, sudsy head. The head quickly retreats to nothing as big, champagne like bubbles pop in the glass. It looks like carbonated Motts apple juice.

S: The aroma is sickeningly sweet upfront with a bit of a vegetal character. Touches of berries can be found in the background but assume a rather fake scent.

T: It's hard to say what is going on here. The initial profile showcases a some grassy character with a bit of sweetness imparted by the honey and strawberry with some cider like qualities showing through. The beer is rather a mess after that. The flavors just die after first washing over the palate and leave nothing but a thin, raw wheat-like pucker in the finish. Different...

M: Champagne like carbonation, thin, somewhat watery, and very dry in the finish. Makes for a refreshing and easy drinking swig.

O: I'm glad that I only bought a bottle of this to try. All I can say is I now truly empathize with those that must stay on a gluten free diet (be it choice or not). For those that can enjoy glutens, your tastebuds will thank you for going elsewhere.

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

2.67/5  rDev -13.3%

A: Clear dark yellow with a slight red/amber tint. Nice 3 finger big bubble clean white head that dissipates quickly.

S: I smell the honey, backed by a strong, unique cardboard aroma - I'm guessing that's the sorghum, which I can't identify since I've never smelled it before. But it's surprisingly different yet nice despite my inadequate description.

T: Whoa, that's potently different... It's Vermouth! Very medicinal tasting... Tastes like strawberries and honey mixed with lots of Vermouth. Not entirely appealing to me as a beer...

M: Very dry like a white wine, but nice carbonation. Light bodied.

O: Wow... this is different from anything I've ever tried before. If I had been blindfolded and told I was drinking a dry strawberry white wine or a dry vermouth it would make more sense... but as a beer, it really threw me for a loop. For the rest of this glass, I will pretend I'm sipping a strawberry martini... now if only the ABV matched...

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

2.92/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A= interesting copper-tea color, moderate fizzy white head.

S= nice mix of sweet malts, strawberry, light hops.

T= I nearly spit it out, it hit me as being that bad. Nothing like the nose, it's got some really strange flavors in there-- rotted fruits, unripe fruits, a tinny bitter-sourness kind of like biting into a very green banana.

M= still bitter

O= Glad I didn't waste money on this on-tap at Dogfish Head in Rehoboth a few weeks ago. It probably would have ruined my evening.

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%