Follow our progress ...

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by mdaschaf on 05-24-2012

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 9
2.51/5  rDev -6%

Upon reading the description of this beer I was both excited and a little unsure of what to expect. " A smoked vanilla cream hefeweisse white wheat ale brewed with smoked malt, garbanzo beans, and creamed corn.

A: Served in a pint glass, the beer was a hazy yellow/orange color with a small white head with minimal retention and no lacing at all.

S: The dominant aroma was smoke and bandaids, similar to how immort smells, must be the peat smoked malts. There was a little bit of vanilla and some corn as well.

T: I was surprised at the amount of vanilla in the flavor profile. If it had stopped there I would have been pretty happy, but the bandaid flavor reared its head again as well as a heavy hand of smoke. There was also a decent amount of the creamed corn coming through.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Not very easy to drink, in fact, one of the first beers from DFH that I did not finish.

O: This beer was a miss for me. Did not like the incorporation of the smoke (especially the peat smoke) into the hefeweizen. Like I mentioned earlier, one of the only DFH beers I did not finish.

2.53/5  rDev -5.2%

Served on tap at the DFH brewpub in Rehoboth. Myself and mdaschaf both thought this sounded pretty intriguing... "A smoked vanilla cream hefeweisse white wheat ale brewed with smoked malt, garbanzo beans, and creamed corn."

A: Fairly hazy golden orange colored body, topped with a thin and small bubbly white head. The dissipation was quite rapid and there was no retention or lacing left behind. Another sort of bummer looking beer.

S: Tons of smoke, and... ut oh, is this Immort Ale? Big Band-Aid scent, from the peat smoked malt they most likely used in this? That's what we assumed. Vanilla towards the back end but that is about it.

T: At first, this didn't taste terrible. Plenty of vanilla on the forefront which started things out down a nice path. Some spicy and fruity yeast notes come through too. As this beer warmed and sat on the back palate, it was just tons of smoke and peat. The Band-Aid taste is back again and becomes quite relentless as it sits.

M: Well carbonated, medium-bodied and it did feel somewhat creamy on the mouth which I really liked. In terms of drink-ability, the feel didn't hinder it but the flavor did.

I felt bad, but both of us didn't even finish our pints. Towards the bottom it just kept getting worse and I decided to cut my losses at that point. Another one of those "sounds interesting," but doesn't taste too good.

White Lodge from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.