D.N.A. (2012) - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Braggot |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: CraftBeerTastic on 07-23-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

09-09-2012 21:26:35 | More by Dbot
mdaschaf

Washington

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Had on tap at DFH. Review from notes.

A: Served in a goblet, DNA was pinkish/purple in color with no head or lacing. It almost has a red wine like appearance to it, very cool looking at least.

S: Lots of fruit in the aroma, especially the blueberries. There is some honey sweetness and some alcohol lingering in the background, which intensified as it warmed.

T: Very sweet from the honey with some fruity undertones, mostly blueberry with some currants and a little bit of cherry.

M: Full bodied with low carbonation. As it warmed I found the alcohol to be a bit overpowering.

O: A very different beer for DFH to put on tap and I am glad i was able to try it. Not something I would drink everyday.

08-24-2012 17:27:41 | More by mdaschaf
teasphere

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

I happened to arrive at the Dogfish Head Brewpub the day this was tapped by complete luck, and what luck it was! Served in a snifter this is an all local Braggot.

Appearance: Wow. Like a gemstone this dark ruby/wine-colored glass of magnificence had small flecks of deeper wine red (I'm guessing fruit/pulp) swimming around lazily. No head at all which is the only slight deduction as the style should have at least a light amount. Very very tiny carbonation bubbles detectable.

Smell: Honey, blueberry, fruit, sweet, and alcohol. It is a very pleasant aroma with a lot of deep fruity notes as well as a steady undercurrent of alcohol. Intriguing and enjoyable.

Taste: For me this was a complete standout. It is easily one of the best braggots I have ever tasted and so extremely well balanced and crafted that it actually blew away my expectations. I love mead and the honey and sweetness were not so overpowering and actually complimented a perfect beer without stealing the show or making it one-dimensional. All of those fruit notes (blueberry especially) come right through and that undercurrent of alcohol also is present from the opening to the close and they all are in harmony with a nice long finish that you wish went on even longer. Fruit, honey, alcohol, and the briefest showing by the yeast with also a slight touch of bitterness that mix to make a truly balanced taste that left me wanting more each sip.

Mouthfeel: Luscious. Like sipping a fine red wine, it had a nice medium to almost thick mouthfeel that was luxurious and rewarding to drink. I savored it entirely but couldn't help but be anxious to get to those little dark red flecks near the bottom that added a tiny amount of texture and interest. The was everything I could ask for in a beer, not just in this style but in any beer! Perfection.

Overall: Aside from wishing for just the slightest bit of foam, I really cannot find a single thing out of balance, style, or that left me wanting. What it left me wanting for was more. If this could be bottled (or even bought by a growler) I would have been the happiest man alive. This is the kind of chance happening that will leave a fond memory and keep me chasing a beer to come close to that is more available. That doesn't happen often and I'm happy to have even had a single glass. I cannot recommend this enough and would make the long trek back for another, it is that good. I'm not the biggest DFH fan even so my gushing is actually warranted and even out of the norm for me and my past DFH experiences which are always good, sometimes great, and usually interesting if nothing else. If you can get here while this is still around, do it! A complete joy.

07-25-2012 14:15:21 | More by teasphere
CraftBeerTastic

Ba Review #191
Served On: 07/22/2012
Glassware: Snifter
Labeled ABV: -
Date/ Code: 2012 Release (The Braggot)

Had this on tap last night at DFH Brewing & Eats - Rehoboth.

Look: Color was of a hazy red wine appearance with zero head. Carbonation bubbles were undetectable through the haze.

Smell: Booze and some tart notes of blueberry and pear.

Taste: Upfront was a sharp fermented blueberry with plenty of alcohol heat. The middle was a sweet Merlot wine-like grape mixed with other typical orchard fruits. Finish was more booze with the grape sweetness returning.

Honestly I don't know what to make of this one. This style is probably a little out of my scope. With that said - my rating is base strictly on my personal experience with the brew during my time at the brewpub. I'm also afraid the novelty of this beer may have overshadowed any real tasting notes.

07-23-2012 12:19:17 | More by CraftBeerTastic