120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.
to view more.
Ratings: 7,211 | Reviews: 2,152
4.94/5  rDev +20.2%

Perfection... Over the top IPA, really a barley wine, but so good!

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Love this beer; has been very difficult to find but it is special. I love the strong IPA's and this one packs a legit punch!

4.9/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I had one that wasn't aged and it was excellent! Super excited to see how they change over the years. A tough beer to find here in Houston, looking forward to my next one.

4.52/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wasn't sure what to expect with the 120 minute. Wow. Such a delicious beer. Coming in at 120 IBUs but yet so smooth and drinkable considering the alcohol content. Almost tastes like a barleywine. Will definitely get again given the opportunity.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Rattle n Hum. As I called for my check, I see the 120 is being added to the menu. Canceled the check, canceled Uber, & settled in for what I hoped would be something special.

Let me start with the truism that I dislike hops in a disproportion.

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not sure of the bottle date, but this is extremely balanced. Way more than I was expecting. The sweetness of the malt lingers through the hop bite,so that you get to experience everything this beer has to offer at once. I highly recommend and will definitely buy a four pack if I ever come across any. Great beer.

4.59/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 1/14/15. Strong alcohol bite but very flavorful. Can't wait to see how this ages.

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Smell is citrus and peach, but the finish is unbelievably bitter.

2.97/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Had it on tap. It's just too much. I knew I was getting into a very boozy beer but it just wasn't an enjoyable beverage to drink.

4.34/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter at room temperature.
L - Poured a hark honey color into the snifter with negligable carbonation. The colorless lacing is very long lasting.
S - Smells of honey, hops and alcohol. A fine combination.
T - A balanced combination of lots of hops an lots of malt.
F - On the heavy side. Very mouth coating.
O - A very fine imperial IPA. The balance is done quite well. Highly recommended.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: A nice golden color with a short white head, leaves good lacing

Smell: Pungent resinous hops, along with strong maltiness

Taste: Strong resiny hops, malty sweetness, some alcohol bite, and a sharp bitterness

Feel: Full body, good carbonation

Overall: Well this is one hell of an impressive brew. It's evident it is strong, but not that it is as strong as it is. Full of flavor, this one is a sipper for sure. This bottle is fairly fresh, less than three months old. It looses points for the lack of balance, but I imagine that is hard to get with something like this. I'm debating on whether or not I should pick up another to cellar, as I feel like this is more of a barleywine than an IPA, and everyone seems to love to cellar it.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottled 7-2-13 - served @ 50deg F

A - Light amber with porous white head

S - Sweet honey - hops - alcohol

T/M - Sweetness up front followed by sour/spicy hops and alcohol heat lingering at the finish

O - Glad I took the advice of a fellow advocate and gave this some time in the cellar. It seems pretty mellow and smooth for such high ABV. Not sure how this isn't considered a barley wine... but it's pretty tasty no matter the style. Prost!

All beers should strive to be this delicious. From beginning to end is a non stop pleasure. My only negative is that I can only get one at a time no matter how hard I look. I'm not sure how the bros only gave it a 95. My top beers are all 100 by the bros except this one which I give a solid 100.

3.54/5  rDev -13.9%

Tried this beer randomly, was 11$ for a single 12 oz. bottle. When I opened it it smelled so good, the fruits instantly hit my nose. The taste was okay too, however the feel was horrible. It didn't go down well at all, most likely due to the 18-20% alcohol content. I tried to split it with my girlfriend at the time because I couldn't just commit alcohol abuse, we ended up drinking most of it together and I poured out the last 1/8th of it, which by then I was feeling pretty buzzed. The notes on this beer are very strong, but so is the alcohol. If im not mistaken I tried the 60 minute too and it tasted and felt the same just with less alcohol. Would probably never buy again but it was definitely worth the try.

One of a kind. Smooth and Elagabalus taste and wonderful feel on the tongue.

2.94/5  rDev -28.5%

I did not like this beer. Sadly ended up drain pouring it. It was not what I excepted it to be at all.

Best IPA ever! I waited one year for tasting this and it didn't disappoint!!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 2/17/14. Deep amber and sediment laden with off white pour. Licorice and alcohol fumes with caramel - spicy fruit as it warms. First sip tastes like cotton candy dissolved in rubbing alcohol. Hot alcohol exhale. Spicy apricot with caramel middle. Hoppy candy finish. Intense heavy alcohol laden mouthfeel. Big flavors, rich sherry like linger - very few beers compete at this level.

3.19/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

About a 3 month old bottle poured into a Dogfish snifter.

Looks beautiful. A deep, ruby orange with an off white head. Looks like a Founder's Old Curmudgeon, except you are not going to see through this one.

Aroma. This is where all of the good things I mentioned above go to die. It smells pretty awful. Almost all alcohol and a musty, sour grape. Actually, it smells a bit like gin now that I think about it.

Taste is better, but not by much. Harsh is the best way I can describe it. Boozy right off the bat with the alcohol coming off the top ropes with an elbow to the tongue. Then some hops that also hang around in the form of a terrible, and bitter aftertaste. There is also that musty, stale flavor. Somewhere in there I noticed some sweetness in the form of candied sugars and caramel malts. I actually bumped it some as it improved a bit as it warmed.

Feel is ok considering the alcohol content.

I realize that this is going to be a "boozy" beer, and my rdev is going to be off the charts here. Even World Wide Stout couldnt mask all of the alcohol. However, I am just not liking the flavors and I don't think they are well integrated. They are all over the place. This just seems like a mess. It reminds me a lot of Double Crooked Tree (which I didn't care for either) for reference, or a Molotove Cocktail on the more positive side. It is definitely along the American Barleywine lines more so than an Imperial IPA. I would be open to trying one with some age on it. It cant really be worse for me.

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Undated (but presumably quite fresh) bottle split with a friend. (A split is probably a really good idea at this ABV. This is a really potent brew.) However, after 6 oz I was regretting sharing it. It was THAT GOOD.
Appearance is nothing special. Medium gold; tenacious white head; carbonation is spot on.
Taste: oh, my. Malty, sweet caramel, some hops bitterness but VERY subdued.
Smooth and extremely easy to drink. Syrupy, almost. The alcohol is there but it's so nicely integrated that you just go with it. Had a 21st Amendment Hop Crisis (one of my all-time favorite DIPAs) immediately following and it tasted thin and flavorless.
Keep telling yourself "sip it, sip it" - but it's SO good. Again, it's probably best that I split a bottle.
At ten bucks a pop and 18%, this would not be a regular indulgence. However, if you get a chance to try it (and don't have to drive), it's highly recommended.
I have a second bottle that's going in the cellar for a year or two. There aren't many rough edges on this brew, and it's an IPA (and therefore best if it's fresh?), but the bottle does say that it ages well so I gotta see.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

So complex its defies logic. 11 month old bottle. Certainly hoppier fresh because now its almost a barley wine. Which is an awesome thing.

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a sipping beer.

3.8/5  rDev -7.5%

Very malt forward with some sweet caramel and just a lingering of the hops bitterness. Chewy, biscuit mouthfeel, but easy to drink.

4.31/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Alcohol fiendishly well hidden (in a good way). Molotav Cocktail without the extreme pine flavor and bitterness. A dangerously drinkable beer for the high abv. Bottle aged in my cellar 1.5 years.

4.31/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Deceiving mouthfeel; a smooth IPA with a big dry bite.

to view more.