120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,122 | Hads: 7,429
4.31/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pretty delicious, but a little more like a barlywine. The hops are very apparent but the malt is more of the star. Actually very drinkable for a beer this big. Obviously it's a little sweet and boozy, but the flavors are well balanced and not harsh. (249 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The smell is lightly hoppy, sweet, malty, and slightly hot. Taste is sweet and raisony and quite boozy. I'm glad I tried it once but it will be the last time. Certainly not worth $10/for 12oz. nb (195 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the brewery. Beautiful apricot color with a bright white head. Smelled great with a mix of caramel, brown sugar, orange and grapefruit. The taste highlighted the huge malt backbone with sweetness and a soft hoppy bitterness, maybe too soft for an IIPA. Not syrupy but with a dry finish. The huge alcohol presence was hidden surprisingly well. I liked this more than I anticipated. (391 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

Had this on tap at the brewery. Right away I loved the copper color and sweet brown sugar aroma. I picked up some light fruit and mild citrus notes as well, but the main aroma was certainly heavy on the malt sweetness. I felt the taste did not quite live up to the style. There was some bitterness in the background and some hoppy characteristics, but this finished more like a barleywine and was almost too sweet. Definitely needs some additional strong high alpha hops to balance it out some more. (499 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I was surprised by the amazing aroma. Strong pleasant citrus and brown sugar. I really enjoyed the taste although it wasn't as hoppy as I was anticipating. Strong alcohol finishes. I hadn't realized how high the abc was ! I really enjoyed this beer. (252 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: dark Amber with a thick head from an aggressive pour into a Funky Buddha snifter.
Smell: strong alcohol smell upfront followed by fruity apricot tones.
Taste: definite barley-wine flavors with a warm alcohol finish.
Feel: sticky thick warmth.
Overall: excellent beer. I would enjoy this after a fine steak. At $1 per ounce it's a little pricey, but on special occasions it's a great beer. This was poured without aging. I have two additional 12oz bottles in my fridge. I'm planning on letting them age for 6 and 12 months before trying them. (548 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm let down I can't lie. I was expecting the hop equivalent of a nuke. But honestly, the sweet syrupy malt backbone somehow manages to all but cover the hoppyness. For the abv, I will say this is unbelievably drinkable, but I think dfh needs to use more aggressive hops, high alpha acid stuff. (294 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Given how much I love the 60 and 90, I was a little disappointed with the 120. It just doesn't quite work and I'd always choose a 90 (or several 60s in-lieu of this one) (169 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16 ounce pour from my favorite beer store

A- Copper with a nice foam level that stays present for the whole drinking experience.

S- This is a winner in the smell category, the depth of the sweetness is epic. My sense of smell is pretty poor and I'm thrilled with what I'm getting off of this. This is caramel and sugar in a real good way.

T- Definitely in an IPA world of its own, complex sweetness and booze in a damn good way.

M- It has the sticky presence I expected for an 18.5% ABV. Certainly a full mouthfeel sipper.

O- I had begun to sleep on Dogfish Head a little bit, suffice it to say I'm awake again or at least I will be after this one wears off. This is what I look for in a beer, something that makes you take notice. Something that makes you want to sip for a good long time. (800 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was aged one year and I'm thrilled with the results. When this is fresh, it's so syrupy and boozy, almost impossible to drink. A year of age makes this a nice barely wine style liqueur. Why not just buy a fresh barley wine? What barley wine features over ripe citrus and integrates 18% alcohol like this beer? Pours a beautiful bright, burnt orange with a half finger head. Aroma is caramel, orange, candied grapefruit, and booze. Tastes like a citrus liqueur. Mouth feel is medium and syrupy. It's very sweet, but the booze is well integrated. It's much brighter than most barely wines. I had 2013 Sucaba the other night I prefer this. Definitely worth picking up and celaring. (683 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours copper orange with one finger head.
Smells sweet and citrusy with a slight hoppiness behind it.
Taste sweet, a lot of citrus fruit. It's almost candy like. Finishes with very slight dryness. Really enjoyed it.
Thick and syrupy mouthfeel with next to no carbonation.
Great beer! Hope I get a chance to get it again. (320 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

In review is a 2012 vintage bottle.

A - Pours a semi-hazy amber color with a frothy ring of lacing.

S - Sweet candy malt aroma, lots of booziness.

T - Booziness dominates from start to finish followed with fermented caramel sweetness, with some citrus and pine emerging at the tail end of the sip, borderline medicinal without crossing the line.

M - Pronounced alcohol warming on the way down and continues to keep the throat toasty warm. Thick, full bodied, lip smacking sticky, velvet on the tongue.

O - Everyone already knows about the reputation of this beer, definitely a sipper and will take quite awhile to work through this bottle if you're drinking alone. I'd rate higher but the alcohol really masks a lot of the beer. (Had this beer so many times in the past, why haven't I rated this one yet???!) (816 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Got a few bottles of this.. Couldn't wait to drink 1 and taste was strong! Strong wood taste. It's been a year and I'm gonna wait longer for next one. (150 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served at Union Jack's bar in Winchester VA in a goblet glass

A: Bright gold color

S: All sweet malt with slight piney hops to balance it. Some alcohol sweetness to the nose

T: Sweet caramel malt up front with some toastyness followed by alcohol sweetness and then hop and alcohol bite to make sure it isn't too cloying. This beer would have to be hopped for 120 mins or else it would be waaaay too sweet.

F: Mouthfeel is medium heavy, doesn't sit in the mouth too long but definitely had some weight to it, a little chewy in a good way.

O: Overall a balanced beer and one worth sipping for a while. If you can find this beer it is worth the experience. (658 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers i have ever had, and at 18%, one will give you a buzz in no time, haha, it ages real well and was told to wait a year to try one and see how it defers from buying it right away. (199 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a two year old bottle that's been cellaring. Gonna keep it brief. Wood, alcohol and candied fruit on the nose. Those characteristics follow through to the taste, with any hop profile really overwhelmed by oak, vanilla and alcohol heat. Some cloying sweetness on the finish. Bourbon barrel character. Wouldn't mind trying a fresh one for comparisons sake. Truthfully, I'd take a fresh 90 minute IPA over this (422 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I have a few bottles of the 120 from different years.
Just opened one yesterday that was 5 years old and the taste is totally different from when it was purchased.
It's a much smoother beer and not at boozy. (207 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A sweet boozy mess. No hop flavor or aroma at all. Not sure why this called an ipa and not a barleywine or strooooong ale. Glad that I tried it but definitely would not seek this out ever again (195 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +24.2%

Dated 1/14/15 ( if I recall correctly) Thoughly enjoyed this, huge flavor, boozy and memorable, nice finish that goes on and on. Great treat , still thinking about it long after it was gone.... (193 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Drinking this is like getting into a fight with a drunk person. Alcohol all over the place, but it's not a real nasty challenge. Plus you can kind of really enjoy the workout! (175 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

dark fruit wonderful! I dunno why its 120 IBUs.....thats not cuz of the hops! maybe cuz of the alcohol!! Its not super hoppy at all.....but has a lot of dark fruit like a quad belgian.syrupy kind of thick.... Still a super good sippy beer. (239 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not sold on this one. World Wide Stout was much better from their extreme beer series. This was super rich, sweet, fruity, oily, complex, and slightly boozy. Some people speak of hops but mine is over a year old so most have faded. More of a brandy than an IPA. Overall it was worth it to try a beer of this caliber, but I don't think I will get it again. (355 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +6.9%

Bought it from a local wine store bottled.....there's no lying on the amount of consistent hoppy taste on a single 12oz bottle. Overall, quite pleasant (151 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm a budding hop-head, and when I had the chance to try the famous 120-minute at dinner, I jumped at it. From the drinking experience, I hesitate to call it an IPA (I know it is, it just doesn't taste like it). It's almost more like a barleywine to me.

Look: Gorgeous deep amber color with a little bit of head
Smell: Delicious. Best part of the beer was just enjoying its aroma. Sweet, a little fruity
Taste: Like I said, it's almost a barleywine kind of taste to me. It's sweet, there's no real taste of "hoppiness," it's strong but not alcohol-y.
Feel: Medium-bodied.

Overall, this is a great beer, nothing like what I expected. Kicked my butt, too... I went from a tasting flight at Night Shift to this, and my wife had to drive us home. (744 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to BoldRulerVT for bringing over a 4-year old bottle of DFH 120 last night. This was surprisingly good beer and not at all what I expected. Poured into tulips and enjoyed at dusk out on the deck.

It's a hazy washed-out apricot color with a thin white head that sticks around for a while and leaves a bit of lace.

The aroma is strong with an assortment of dried fruit - apricot, prune, raisin, lots of sweetness here with absolutely no hop aroma.

Taste is nicely balanced between the sweet dried fruit and enough soft bitterness to support it. No trace of the high ABV.

Mouth is medium bodied, which is surprising given the high ABV. I really expected a fuller mouth, but was really pleased that it wasn't.

Overall, this is an unusual beer that ages wonderfully and is surprisingly tasty. I have a year-old bottle stashed and I think I'll give it a few more years, as this four-year old seemed just right. (929 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery