120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.
to view more.
Ratings: 7,228 | Reviews: 2,159
4.49/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. The beer is a murky bronze color with a dense, white foam head that retains well and leaves decent lace. It's aroma is a bright, juicy orange / tangerine note with floral hints and a resinous woody undertone. As it warms up caramel starts to poke through with cloves and a hint of acetone. It's highly citrus bittersweet that both compliments and counteracts each other (not necessarily balanced), with perhaps a touch more sweet than bitter. The beer is viscous and creamy with a soft fuzzy carbonation. The full body is woody and citrus with a pine grit and alcohol on the tongue. The finish is warm (vodka or strong bourbon) with spicy clove and woody notes and a clean, vodka-alcohol aftertaste that's dry and astringent.

The older the better. Great beer!

A great barleywine, lots of sweetness, hides the alcohol very well. A very special treat!

3.72/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2011 vintage. Pours a dirty tea looking color that settles into the glass as a murky Amber with a thin off-white head. Lots of toasted grain in the nose, with a aged piney hop aroma as well. Flavor is very sweet and toasty with the piney hops still lingering around and balancing out some of the sweetness. Mouthfeel is somewhat thinner than I thought it would be, with a moderate level of carbonation and a lingering alcohol presence. Still drinkable with age, but not sure if this one improved at all.

As you can tell, I enjoyed this one. The bottle was a little over a year old. Almost no hop flavor or aroma. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Flavor was fruity, but not cloying. As Sam describes it, marmalade-y. It makes you want to keep going back for another sip, and since the alcohol is well hidden on aged bottles, watch out. It hit me like a ton of bricks lol.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Super boozy smell. Tasty though.

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%

too smooth for my own good

4.94/5  rDev +20.2%

Perfection... Over the top IPA, really a barley wine, but so good!

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Love this beer; has been very difficult to find but it is special. I love the strong IPA's and this one packs a legit punch!

4.9/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I had one that wasn't aged and it was excellent! Super excited to see how they change over the years. A tough beer to find here in Houston, looking forward to my next one.

4.52/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wasn't sure what to expect with the 120 minute. Wow. Such a delicious beer. Coming in at 120 IBUs but yet so smooth and drinkable considering the alcohol content. Almost tastes like a barleywine. Will definitely get again given the opportunity.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Rattle n Hum. As I called for my check, I see the 120 is being added to the menu. Canceled the check, canceled Uber, & settled in for what I hoped would be something special.

Let me start with the truism that I dislike hops in a disproportion.

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not sure of the bottle date, but this is extremely balanced. Way more than I was expecting. The sweetness of the malt lingers through the hop bite,so that you get to experience everything this beer has to offer at once. I highly recommend and will definitely buy a four pack if I ever come across any. Great beer.

4.59/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 1/14/15. Strong alcohol bite but very flavorful. Can't wait to see how this ages.

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Smell is citrus and peach, but the finish is unbelievably bitter.

2.97/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Had it on tap. It's just too much. I knew I was getting into a very boozy beer but it just wasn't an enjoyable beverage to drink.

4.34/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter at room temperature.
L - Poured a hark honey color into the snifter with negligable carbonation. The colorless lacing is very long lasting.
S - Smells of honey, hops and alcohol. A fine combination.
T - A balanced combination of lots of hops an lots of malt.
F - On the heavy side. Very mouth coating.
O - A very fine imperial IPA. The balance is done quite well. Highly recommended.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: A nice golden color with a short white head, leaves good lacing

Smell: Pungent resinous hops, along with strong maltiness

Taste: Strong resiny hops, malty sweetness, some alcohol bite, and a sharp bitterness

Feel: Full body, good carbonation

Overall: Well this is one hell of an impressive brew. It's evident it is strong, but not that it is as strong as it is. Full of flavor, this one is a sipper for sure. This bottle is fairly fresh, less than three months old. It looses points for the lack of balance, but I imagine that is hard to get with something like this. I'm debating on whether or not I should pick up another to cellar, as I feel like this is more of a barleywine than an IPA, and everyone seems to love to cellar it.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottled 7-2-13 - served @ 50deg F

A - Light amber with porous white head

S - Sweet honey - hops - alcohol

T/M - Sweetness up front followed by sour/spicy hops and alcohol heat lingering at the finish

O - Glad I took the advice of a fellow advocate and gave this some time in the cellar. It seems pretty mellow and smooth for such high ABV. Not sure how this isn't considered a barley wine... but it's pretty tasty no matter the style. Prost!

All beers should strive to be this delicious. From beginning to end is a non stop pleasure. My only negative is that I can only get one at a time no matter how hard I look. I'm not sure how the bros only gave it a 95. My top beers are all 100 by the bros except this one which I give a solid 100.

3.54/5  rDev -13.9%

Tried this beer randomly, was 11$ for a single 12 oz. bottle. When I opened it it smelled so good, the fruits instantly hit my nose. The taste was okay too, however the feel was horrible. It didn't go down well at all, most likely due to the 18-20% alcohol content. I tried to split it with my girlfriend at the time because I couldn't just commit alcohol abuse, we ended up drinking most of it together and I poured out the last 1/8th of it, which by then I was feeling pretty buzzed. The notes on this beer are very strong, but so is the alcohol. If im not mistaken I tried the 60 minute too and it tasted and felt the same just with less alcohol. Would probably never buy again but it was definitely worth the try.

One of a kind. Smooth and Elagabalus taste and wonderful feel on the tongue.

2.94/5  rDev -28.5%

I did not like this beer. Sadly ended up drain pouring it. It was not what I excepted it to be at all.

Best IPA ever! I waited one year for tasting this and it didn't disappoint!!

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 2/17/14. Deep amber and sediment laden with off white pour. Licorice and alcohol fumes with caramel - spicy fruit as it warms. First sip tastes like cotton candy dissolved in rubbing alcohol. Hot alcohol exhale. Spicy apricot with caramel middle. Hoppy candy finish. Intense heavy alcohol laden mouthfeel. Big flavors, rich sherry like linger - very few beers compete at this level.

to view more.