120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,144 | Hads: 7,516
3.59/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I would not really call this an IPA. My best description would be a dirty Tripel. That strong tripel taste and mouth feel with hoppy bitterness finish. Like a scotch you can almost smell the alcohol. Definitely needs to be served cold. Had one that was probably in the mid 40's and it just didn't feel right. A couple of days later had one that probably 35-38 and was much smoother and easier to drink. I am cellaring 1 for a year and another possibly for 2.

3.78/5  rDev -4.3%

Color is a hazy burnt orange with a pillowy off white head.

Nose is caramel, hops, and malt - this is as intensely hopped of a beer as I've ever had. It is incredibly sweet, warm, and a good bit of bitter too.

I've never had an aged 120 but definitely see how people call it a barleywine as it loses the hop profile. Definitely a sometime, not anytime, treat.

3.69/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a snifter from a 2014 vintage 12 oz bottle.

Color is a hazy orange with a thin white head. Aroma is a lot like a barleywine - boozy with dank hops and caramel. Taste is also a barleywine - boozy, malty and moderately bitter. Finish is mildly bitter along with a strong alcohol bite. Overall, a very good beer, but misclassified as an IPA.

4.29/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Outstanding! Not for the weak beer drinker. Taste more like a strong barleywine comparable to an "Insanity" or in a new category like Angry Chair's Girthquake. I have had it at release, on tap and aged 2 years. I will buy as much as I can find.

3.64/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Strong beer lol. Definitely a heavy hitter. You can feel the alcohol. I tend to like it so I thought it was pretty good. I don't think this could ever be a daily drinker but I will buy whenever I get the chance.

4.05/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle dated 9/17/14 poured into snifter.

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber with a rapidly dissipating white head.

Smell: This smells so much like a barleywine. Way moreso than an IPA. Kinda like an aged Devil Dancer from Founders, but more luxurious.

Taste: boozy. Alcohol burns a little in the mouth. Definitely needs more time to age. 1 year isn't enough.

Mouthfeel: slightly syrupy and with hops that linger.

Overall: thinking this needs at least two years of aging before consumption. Looking forward to it.

3.91/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - copper in color. Smell - grilled grapefruit smell. Taste - bam. Hard as hell. Awesome depth of flavors. Overall - would get again this was aged three years.

4.28/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark orange with a thin lacing with a decent size head. Smell is of alcohol. At first taste you get the hops and the citrus fruit but then you get hit with the over welming alcohol flavor. More of a barley wine to me then IPA. Very good beer all around with it hitting a Abv of 21% this year.

2.86/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Woa! This is not for me. To boozy, to malty and little hops flavor. Usually enjoy stronger beers like BCBS which I had prior to this even 2 roads 20 ton Barleywine was decent but this asan IPA a no go for me.

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

Its not too extreme to be called beer, but it might be too malty and too boozy to be called an imperial IPA. This drinks like a high test barleywine. The sweetness of this beer is big, but there is a pronounced hop flavor with accompanying bitterness to balance it out to an extent. The caramel on the nose is in your face. In your mouth this beer felt somewhat sticky, not lip smacking but by the same token I think an entire 12 oz bottle might be overkill for one sitting. This is worth splitting with a friend.

2.33/5  rDev -41%

Had the 2015 version on tap at Tap & Bottle in Tucson, AZ 09-10-2015.
This beer is cloyingly sweet, intensely boozy, and has a rich caramel slightly oxidized malt flavor. The hop aroma and flavor is quite low for an imperial IPA. This beer to me is either a mediocre barleywine, or a terrible Imperial IPA. Take your pick.

2.99/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Dogfish makes some wonderful stuff, but this one was just too much for me; for what it is, it's probably excellent, but the alcohol burn is just over the top. I love the 60 Minute and 90 Minute, and this one looks beautiful, a nice deep orange, but you can smell the alcohol quite strongly right from the start. Far more malty than hoppy, so despite the brewing process, very unlike your typical IPA. This would, I assume, be an excellent brew for those that like the extremes in beer, with high alcohol (and I sometimes do myself; Bourbon County Stout is a fabulous example), but for this one, the alcohol is just too strong and too forward for my taste, so I won't be buying again after my stock is gone. Again, probably very good if you like the alcohol forward beers, but be forewarned!

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottled July 22, 2015, so this is a fresh batch. Dark amber in color, with minimal head that dissipates quickly and a light haze that clarifies upon warming. Smells of malt, crackers, scuppernong grape, lemongrass, and alcoholic heat. Flavors of raw sugar cane, orange gumdrops, maple, grassy hop bitterness, and booze. When fresh, this makes no effort to disguise its high abv. None whatsoever.

I'm enjoying this more than the objective score would indicate, so chalk that up to the alcohol talking at the end of a long day. It's intriguing to call this an IPA; it's certainly not "too extreme to be called beer," but it also goes hard enough to end up outside of the typical IPA box. Interesting enough for me to set some on the bottom cellar shelf to forget about for a few years and see how time treats it.

3.24/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Look - Burnt orange / amber color. Quickly dissipating head and alcohol legs for days!
Smell - Sweet caramel malts, pine, brown sugar, touch of grapefruit, booze
Taste - A complete malt bomb. Sweet almost syrupy caramel malts, raisin, hints of grapefruit and apricot, very boozy, warm, slightly bitter

Overall - A big, heavy, super sweet, malty boozy beer. Not your everyday drink. Split two with my buddy over the Labor Day weekend. One was fresh and the other was aged a year. I will say the aged one was much more drinkable.

4.46/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look: One finger of off-white/tan head. Hazy amber in color. Pretty lacing. Active carbonation.

Smell: Heavy duty pine and earth. Smells like a hike through a pine forest. Some interesting grapefruit-like citrus.

Taste: Delightful amber and caramel malts. Light toast. Soapy pine hops. Slightly citrusy tropical fruit. Malts really overshadow the hops. Pretty dang complex and fairly well balanced for a DIPA. Heat is well subdued.

Feel: Barely sticky. Good carbonation. Perfect body.

Overall: This is a delightful and fun beer. Not sure how I feel about the price point... Ultimately I feel glad that I grabbed a second one to cellar. If $14 is to much for any single beer for you, I would still encourage you to get one.

3.64/5  rDev -7.8%

bottled 7/22/15

Never had this one before so I was excited. The alcohol comes through quite a bit. Not a burning way, but it brings a sweetness that is much different than any sweetness you'd get from malt and hops. Strange beer.

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%

Aged for 1 year. Pour is dark burn orange with little to zero head. No effervescence but slight lacing. Thick pour. Smell is of slight hop character and alcohol. If you didn’t know this was 18%, now you do. On the taste you taste the malt and of course the burn of booze, Very drinkable beer surprisingly considering the high abv. Might buy again, but at 10$ a bottle, it makes it tough.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Super unique beer. Very strong, but the alcohol and hops blend well. Surprisingly smooth. Someone else mentioned that it's sort of barleywinish. I would agree. Some citrus notes as well.

4.31/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pretty delicious, but a little more like a barlywine. The hops are very apparent but the malt is more of the star. Actually very drinkable for a beer this big. Obviously it's a little sweet and boozy, but the flavors are well balanced and not harsh.

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The smell is lightly hoppy, sweet, malty, and slightly hot. Taste is sweet and raisony and quite boozy. I'm glad I tried it once but it will be the last time. Certainly not worth $10/for 12oz. nb

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the brewery. Beautiful apricot color with a bright white head. Smelled great with a mix of caramel, brown sugar, orange and grapefruit. The taste highlighted the huge malt backbone with sweetness and a soft hoppy bitterness, maybe too soft for an IIPA. Not syrupy but with a dry finish. The huge alcohol presence was hidden surprisingly well. I liked this more than I anticipated.

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this on tap at the brewery. Right away I loved the copper color and sweet brown sugar aroma. I picked up some light fruit and mild citrus notes as well, but the main aroma was certainly heavy on the malt sweetness. I felt the taste did not quite live up to the style. There was some bitterness in the background and some hoppy characteristics, but this finished more like a barleywine and was almost too sweet. Definitely needs some additional strong high alpha hops to balance it out some more.

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I was surprised by the amazing aroma. Strong pleasant citrus and brown sugar. I really enjoyed the taste although it wasn't as hoppy as I was anticipating. Strong alcohol finishes. I hadn't realized how high the abc was ! I really enjoyed this beer.

4.73/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: dark Amber with a thick head from an aggressive pour into a Funky Buddha snifter.
Smell: strong alcohol smell upfront followed by fruity apricot tones.
Taste: definite barley-wine flavors with a warm alcohol finish.
Feel: sticky thick warmth.
Overall: excellent beer. I would enjoy this after a fine steak. At $1 per ounce it's a little pricey, but on special occasions it's a great beer. This was poured without aging. I have two additional 12oz bottles in my fridge. I'm planning on letting them age for 6 and 12 months before trying them.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm let down I can't lie. I was expecting the hop equivalent of a nuke. But honestly, the sweet syrupy malt backbone somehow manages to all but cover the hoppyness. For the abv, I will say this is unbelievably drinkable, but I think dfh needs to use more aggressive hops, high alpha acid stuff.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery