120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,187 | Ratings: 7,777
Reviews by ThePaintedGrey:
4.08/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass, serving as a replacement for my dearly departed snifter.

*Let it be noted that this is not an aged bottle. This batch was bottled in April, 2014.*

A: A deep bronze color with some crimson-orange tints as well. Head started out at about two-fingers, but quickly faded down to a gorgeously creamy cap, bone white in hue. Not a ton of lacing down the glass, but the small section that's there sits quite thick on the glass. Not world class aesthetics, but definitely a pretty looking beverage.

S: The aroma isn't as boisterous as I expected honestly. This particular batch, according to word of mouth and not an actual source, is sitting in at roughly 19% ABV. Even with that said, there's not an overwhelming amount of booze in the nose. A light hint of booze, with your almost average top-tier DIPA aroma. Some citrusy profiles, mostly grapefruit, melded with some orange peel and a juicy peach undertone, all balanced on a sweet malt backbone.

T: Holy hell... This is /extreme/. There's so much going on here. It goes without saying that the hops are very upfront in the initial sip. A huge wave of mixed juice flavor bombards—grapefruit, orange, hints of lemon, and some peach. Given the fact that I'm a strict beer drinker that doesn't delve into liquors, it's taken me almost 20 minutes to be able to decipher what's going on here in this 19% ABV behemoth. Hearing this mentioned in the past, I've heard stories of candy-like sweetness, but perhaps that comes through aging? The only sweetness here is a comfortable amount of caramel malt that breaks through the belligerent hop presence. A strong alcoholic burn comes through in the finish for me (which might not be a problem to those accustomed to whiskey). The aftertaste is strong and citrusy, and maybe my mind is deceiving me, but I'm detecting almost a cinnamon-like heat in the lingering flavor. The complexity of this beer is truly a marvel in itself.

M: The mouthfeel here, as expected, is huge. It's not syrupy or sticky, but it's HUGE. A full-bodied leviathan that is devilishly smooth and creamy, given it's alcohol content. A perfect level of carbonation adds a little bit of crispness to it all. This is the star-quality of this beer, and it's a truly a testament to the craftsmanship of the folks down at DFH brewery.

O: I know that I scored the taste and mouthfeel really high, but I feel as though this beer is just a tad bit TOO much, and therefore the overall score suffers a little bit as a result. Let not that be an insult to the brewers: the folks down at Dogfish Head are absolute artists when it comes to beer and have crafted an absolute behemoth of a beverage here. The complexity in the flavor is off-the-charts, and the mouthfeel is absolutely a work of art for a beer of its stature. However, with that being said, DFH 120 Minute, in all of its over-the-top glory, strikes me as a strictly once in a blue moon treat. Something this intense needs to truly be savored and simply can not be enjoyed regularly. I will be purchasing another bottle to age for a few years, and may not find myself drinking it again until said bottle is sufficiently aged.

I will preface this review by saying that I don't think I've ever rated a beer a full 5. The idea of finding a "perfect" beer is a little ludicrous, if you ask me. Poured from a 12oz bottle @ ~40F into an oversized short wine glass.

Appearance: Oh my goodness. Absolutely stunning. As I poured, it was a brilliant, bright orange color that reached a glowing, deep orange in the middle, and then slightly lighter at the top. It reminded me of the color of a ripe papaya - just the most vibrant, brilliant, gorgeous shade of orange that I've ever seen in a beer.

Smell: Intoxicating. If I had a slightly larger/wider snifter, I would have used it here. However, the wine glass with the taper at the top helped to gather the smells… certainly more so than a regular pint glass. I picked up many tropical notes including orange, grapefruit, and perhaps a hint of cantaloupe. I’m no expert in isolating specific smells/flavors, but I could tell that there was a lot going on here. I won’t attempt to name 10 different fruits/smells, because at some point the majority of them blend together into a heavenly tropical smell.

Taste: Mind-blowing. It really is something out of a fantasy. An explosion of juicy, bright tropical fruits massaged my palate as I let the sip rest on my tongue for a few seconds to warm up and soak in. The malt takes a back seat as you would expect, with the bitterness of the hops pushing all the right buttons. I absolutely love IPAs and DIPAs, so I can appreciate a good balance between bitterness and flavor. I love a good hop bomb, but those are easy to make. It is much more difficult to make a balanced IPA. I don’t like my IPAs to be too bitter or resinous, but I also don’t like them to be completely floral or citrusy without any bite to back up the flavor. They really nailed it — it’s got the perfect bitterness, a subtle but present floral taste that could easily be missed, and the citrus and tropical flavors launching a full-on assault of the palate. The taste of DFH 120 is simply too good to be overstated.

Mouthfeel: The DFH 120 mouthfeel fits my ideal criteria. At first there was a bit of a bite, like excess carbonation combined with the high alcohol content. The carbonation is right on the money, though. Not too much or too little. It’s juicy enough to wet your palate, but dry enough to have the perfect amount of bite. The high ABV warms the palate as well, but it’s not as hot as I expected it to be. I’ve definitely had hotter mouthfeels from DIPAs and Imperial Stouts around 10-15% ABV. For comparison, Surly Sÿx was significantly hotter at the same temperature than the DFH 120. They got the balance just right with this one. I noticed that when I smiled, the alcohol gave a nice little burn on my gums. It seems inconsequential, but it added to the enjoyment of this brew a lot.

Overall: This beer nearly drove me to tears. It is truly extraordinary. All I could think while drinking it was "WOW." It’s taken me a while to write this review, because my experience was beyond words. I got into craft beer around 2-3 years ago, taking brewery tours, hunting down rare/seasonal beers, trading with friends, and having tasting parties with friends and coworkers. Sometimes I would pay around 3-4 times the amount of a good craft 6-pack for a single bomber/750mL bottle of a rare brew. People are always astonished at the price of some of the rarer beers, most of them saying something along the lines of “that’s so overpriced.” Sometimes I agree — there are definitely some overpriced beers that are not good enough to warrant a $20+ asking price for a 750mL. I treat these beers like liquid gold, making sure to savor every drop. The moment I took my first sip of DFH 120, I was flooded with memories of my first really fresh IPAs and DIPAs. It brought back the excitement I used to get from finding an incredible new brew that pushed all of the right buttons for me — beautiful colors, intoxicating smells, bitter floral and citrus flavors, and a juicy mouthfeel, leaning towards the dry side. Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA is everything that made me love craft beer in the first place. It has become my reference IPA. Something to compare all others to. Something to remember fondly. Something to define my tastes. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Huge thanks to Dogfish Head for making one for the hardcore IPA fans. I think I can easily say that 120 Minute IPA has earned its way into one of my top 5 favorite beers of all time. If I’ve ever had anything close to a perfect beer, this is it. I’ve finally peaked. I guess that should make me sad because I don’t know if I’ll ever find anything more delicious, but it makes me happy, because I feel lucky to have been able to find, enjoy, and savor this exquisite brew over easily one of the best hours of my life. It is simply out of this world. It is everything that is craft beer. Bravo, Dogfish Head. Bravo.

If I was stranded on an island and I could only bring an endless supply of one type of beer with me, this would be the one. I do believe this is the greatest beer I've ever drank in my life. The flavor is awesome and the feeling I get from one is generally clean and positive. I think that sounds strange, but I believe it to be true. Every time I drink this beer I feel happy, whereas with some other beers (not all, of course) it can be quite the opposite.

I wish this beer was a person so I could be good friends with it.

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

To be fair, I tasted this one after it had been aged for years, and can't say what it's like fresh. But this one, while awesome and powerful, may be too powerful for any one man to handle, like a genie, or a nuke. Tons of flavor, but perhaps too rich. I forget the abv of that particular one, but it was probably up to at least 20% by the time I had it. So heavy, it almost clogs your throat. The hops are choked, suffocated, and smothered with a pillow by the malts who seem to have grown in power of the years. I love this beer the way I love those ridiculous Fast and Furious movies - I feel like a testosterone junkie just being in the same room with it. I'd have it again when I feel like doing some serious damage to my body - yes, this is about as masochistic a beer as I can remember having.

4.88/5  rDev +23.2%

bottled on 5/10/07 for consumption on 7/21/14

Appearance - pours a muddy, brackish plum-brown. Just a faint cover of bubbles, barely sustaining a collar.

Aroma - rum-soaked shortbread and caramel. A boozy citrusy element that is not like Grand Marnier, but it makes me think of it just the same. A touch of plums and soy.

Taste - hard Christmas candy with the weird fruit filling. Light citrus but its there. Extremely warming in the throat and belly, mmm. A light smack of hops, not near enough to balance, just gives a little nip. Some light soy and/or anise as well. Lots of fun flavors to pick out and enjoy. Unbelievably easy to drink for its strength. Yes, the alcohol is certainly evident but the beer's flavors are plenty intense and integrated enough for it to work out wonderfully.

Mouthfeel - impressive carbonation seven+ years later. The body is big without becoming heavy, which could lend too much weight to the sugary aspects of the beer.

Overall - Excellent stuff at both three and seven years, I'll give a new bottle a whirl next time, though I suspect fresh hops rule the day. Toasting 20K on the fitbit - cheers!
***

2003 Edition sampled on 3/18/06
Appearance - pours a clouded light orange color, a snappy but short-lived head on top. 3.5

Aroma - a new experience on this one. I pick up the initial expected fruit and booziness, though not to the degree I expected. But then I get this unmistakeable spicy aroma. A cooking spice, what is it, I know the smell...then it hits my brain - curry! Are my hands clean? Sure enough, and I just washed out the glass from my last beer. Sniff again - curry again. Perhaps this is the effect on my senses when hops get over-saturated into a beer? I don't know. I like curry but I am unsure of what to expect on the taste. 3.5

Taste - wow. No curry here, but this is in the 'beer candy' genre. Intensely sweet, as if it's been concentrated. Orange candy, honey, pineapple, some mildly spicy hop component, and now and then a breath of that curry, but barely. Big alcohol finish, but not as brash as I thought it'd be. Beautifully supportive of the hops flavor, I don't think I can remember a beer being so hoppy and yet so sweet instead of bitter. Without fail, every time I take a sip, I get a whiff of that curry, but it generally does not appear in the flavor profile with any force. Finishes wet, warm and coating. 5

Mouthfeel - very thick, the carbonation holds its own among the heavyweight flavors. 5

Drinkability - I am so glad I grabbed this and am hopeful that I can wait another 5 or 6 years to sample the other one. 5

1.46/5  rDev -63.1%

Anybody who's had a colonoscopy knows how hard it is to drink the prep. You hold your nose and do anything possible to distract yourself from the thick sickenly sweet, perfumely, pungent, syrup that's about to enter your body. I find myself doing the same with this brew. The sweetness is too much to take. The smell is not pleasant, and the mouth feel, combined with the above conspires to make the whole experience unpleasant. I tried really hard to finish the bottle, but alas, it's down the drain.

2.63/5  rDev -33.6%

I challenged Tennessee trey to game of horseshoes and won. Payout was supposed to be a watermelon but dang ole trey gave me two of these instead. Me and Jesse fired these things down and howled at the moon. Tastes like rubbing alcohol and malt.

3.94/5  rDev -0.5%

bottle from a 2003 batch, reviewed in May of 2006.

A: deep golden, turning to medium brown body. little to no head, though its more carbonation than I expected for the age of this bottle. doesnt look likemuch but I didnt buy it to look at it.

S: loads of sugar, and sweet candied fruit, raisons, some more tropical as well. no hops whatsoever. a little booze and a bit of toffee. plenty of carmelization.

T/M: nice viscosity, thick but coating and pretty drinkable considering. lots o' malt and sugar. very sweet. the hops have completely faded from this brew leaving this big thick and sweet body thats out of balance. plenty of juicy tropical fruits, even some candy qualities, a little cloying. hints of rum.

D: what can one say? a 21% DIPA? come one. this beer exists in its own world where mere mortal language and concepts arent sufficient. who knows? just drink one and you know what can never be said.

while my score for this isnt very high I enjoyed this brew and was impressed at how well it held up. the label says you can age it for a decade or so but i suspect you'd have really expensive paint thinner by then and not much else. get this sucker fresh, despite the alcohol content, dont make the mistake of cellaring this thing.

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice glass. 2014 bottle.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange with a lot of bubbles. About one finger of off white head that slowly fades into a thin creamy layer.

Smell: An earthy, juicy, and boozy hop forward aroma with hints of citrus, grass, and caramel malt. Earthy and herbal hops with big hints of spicy pine resin and wet grass. Citrus hop hints of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, pineapple, and melon. Sweet hints of brown sugar and vanilla. Big malt backing with sweet hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit, grains, and yeast. Alcohol is quite noticeable. A pretty good aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a huge earthy, juicy, and boozy hop forward taste with big notes of citrus, pine, and sweet malt. Upfront earthy, herbal, and floral hops with dank and spicy notes of pine resin and grass. Juicy citrus hop notes of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, pineapple, and melon. Sweet taste of brown sugar and some subtle notes of vanilla and other candied sugar. Big malt background with notes of sweet caramel, toffee, grains, biscuit, and yeast. Fairly boozy. A very good aggressive taste.

Mouthfeel: Very full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very oily, chewy, and drying. Alcohol heat is pretty noticeable but it’s not too extreme.

Overall: A very good monster of a beer. Huge aggressive bitter hops with an almost equally big sweet malt backing. It’s almost too much but it’s quite good as a sipper.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It's a deep and cloudy copper-orange. I get a big frothy-white head out of this puppy, which is awesome considering the alcohol content.

The nose is pure-sweet-big-malt. Like a barleywine with the candied fruits. Sherry, raisin, prune, caramel, boozy and fruity and sweet. It's a fortified wine or liqueur from this nose, for sure.

First sip.. sweet... an orange liqueur is not far from it, but it's obviously hopped. What and interesting beer. Almost cloying but it's warranted!? I don't know.Can't quite place it. It's maybe the most intense version of an American Barleywine you can find. Hoppy and boozy and sweet, yet somehow it makes it work. For whatever ABV my version is, it is not as obvious as I have noticed with other double digit beers. Definitely more balanced and hidden than Molotov Cocktail. It's surprisingly smooth, but the sweetness keeps it a sipper. I don't know if it's possible, but even more hops could be expressed in this malt backbone if they wanted, because there is a COLOSSAL dosage of sweetness and alcohol. IPA this is not. BA needs a new style that is neither American Barleywine nor Imperial IPA. Evil Twin, Knee Deep and DFH have offerings into this unique style.

If you ever find yourself staring across from this beer... no matter the price point, it is something you must try as a beer nerd. Nuff Said.

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Acknowledging this was a 9-month old bottle, so perhaps the more identifiable hop notes had disappeared by now, but otherwise I'm hard pressed to conceive how this can be called an IPA. Incredibly sweet, overwhelmingly so, the sweetness cut simply by the warming booze. Perhaps as it warmed some acidic hop notes emerge, but they're quiet at best and do nothing to stem the tide of sickeningly sweet malt and booze. I applaud the novelty of it all and the effort to experiment/expand our notion of beer...but this just falls incredibly flat.

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

Appearance: Pours out a bright orange as it flows into your glass, it gets a bit darker-a brownish/orange murky color towards the center. Mild carbonation, and a nice had on top. The head is an off white color and thins out into a multitude of islands covering the top of the beer. Very strong lacing in this ale marks every sip you take.
Smell: Strong hops, grapefruit and orange zest, you can pick up a slight melon aroma the first second on every sniff. There are some other spices I here that make this one hell of a great smelling ale.
Taste: This has a very complicated taste to it, the dryness hits you first and then it breaks up into a whole mess of flavors, hops, orange zest, spices and more. Its very earthy for a DIPA and not overpowering with hops either. Grapefruit and brown sugar seem to mix together as it moves toward the back of your throat. The alcohol is up front in this ale. Its mildly tart on the edges of your mouth.
Mouthfeel: Starts of smooth for the first quick half second, semi dry and full bodied. The alcohol becomes most evident right before you swallow.
Overall: This is one great DIPA and was well worth the wait, I can’t wait to taste this one again, definitely one of the best beers I’ve had in a while.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

A - Hazy gold body, medium off-white head. Fades mostly to a thin layer. No lacing.
S - Smells thick. Heavy citrus, grapefruit, I get some biscuit malt there too.
T - Holy hops! Heavy on the hops. Bitterness is overwhelming and then the malt backbone is overwhelming I imagine these both mellow with age. There is a lot going on here. Boozy burn at the end drys everything out and lingers.
M - Thick, low carb. Coats the palate and then dries out. Leaves a slight numbness.
O - This is not an everyday beer, or even every month. This is a special beer for special occasions. Treat it as such. I enjoyed this over a 2 hour period and appreciated the changes as it warms. This is a great beer, but is difficult to find and expensive when you do. For me, personally, that takes away from the beer. Definitely worth a try if you're curious. You won't find too many beers like it.

Bought 2 , i guess late 2015/eRly 2015. Totally Lived up to the hype. I bought 2 with the idea of aging. Not going to happen. Cant wait for the next special occasion to break it open. Next friday will do.

4.55/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

The 2014 amazing, such a big beer but still smooth. Nice mouth feel, full flavour but not silly. The thing that amazed me is the bitterness was so understated, just malty MF nice. Big it was not around 18 percent I would go another

3.18/5  rDev -19.7%

Too boozy for me brah

2.51/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I always laugh when stores act all badass with this beer, like "LIMIT 1". . . That's one more than I'll ever want.

Looks dark gold, thin white head. Aroma was super boozy to the point of almost thinking fusel alcohol, but no, its just super hot.

Taste is a thick, viscous almost barleywine like double ipa, excessive bitterness. If you like bitter vodka shots, this is your jam.

When I think overrated sticky high alpha hop methodology with little hop flavor, this be thy name.

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dogfish 120 Minute 12oz. Bottle (dated 07/22/15) from Mary for Christmas purchased at Copper Vine, poured into a Stone IRS snifter.

A - A normal pour creates 1-finger of dense, khaki head. The body is a very hazy, burnt orange, looking almost like a pulpy fruit juice. There are small bubbles consistently making their way toward the surface behind the cloudy body. The head sustains at 1/4 finger ring around the edges, and a thin, lacy film through the middle. There are really nice, lacy rings left on the glass.

S- I'm initially hit by a load of hops, mostly grapefruit, but there's a big, sweet, malt backbone behind it that comes off as caramel or English toffee. Another whiff and the aroma melds into a tobacco leaf and leathery goodness. Within the sweetness, the alcohol becomes apparent. Not harsh, but something of fruit brandy (like apricot or even a cherry cordial). Hops become more spicy too.

T- Whoa! There's a lot going on here. Very sweet up front, something like brown sugar and maple syrup. Then the hops kick in through the middle, bringing a leafy and spicy quality. The finish is a combination of the sweet and hoppy. More of the brown sugar, but with a juicy hop that combines grapefruit and spicy aspects. Things don't change too much with warmth, but become more pronounced. The spicy hops begin to hint at freshly cracked black pepper toward the end.

M- Very full bodied. High viscosity. The hops provide a spicy bite and combine with the extreme ABV that adds a smooth, warm heat. All in all, the finish becomes rather dry after the syrupy sweet mouthful.

O- I'm so glad my wife pulled the trigger for me. I've been tempted every time I see it on the shelf, but walked away due to the cost combined with an apprehension over the perceived flavor profile. This is definitely a one and done sipper for the evening, but I'd be more than tempted to pick up a few more, maybe one to drink fresh and one to lay down for some aging.

4.5 4.5 4.25 4.25 4.25

3.16/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Hazy gold-orange, yellow-white head fades but leaves rings of lace.

S: Floral but verging on abrasive chemical. Soil and citrus, but those are quickly smothered by the rest of it.

T: Woody, floral. Pine shows mid-late palate. Chemical like nail polisher still coming through (mega yuck.- what is this??) Cinnamon and baking spices on the finish (I swear), plus more alcohol warmth.

M: It's got some bite! Sky high IBU and sky high alcohol, as it turns out, is intense. Abrasive, but not astringent.

O: Barely fun even as a novelty. It seems like they got a little lazy, trying to make it as extreme as possible and any positive characteristic was a lucky side effect. Insane bitterness and ridiculous hop character is intriguing, but not when the smell and flavor make me worry if I'm going to go blind. I'm glad I didn't, and glad I got to try it, but now our relationship is over. Sorry 120, it's you.

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A hop bomb just went off in my apartment. Wow, this thing is a slow burner that doesn't allow you to appreciate the hops or ABV until a moment after you've finished. Like a habanero pepper that's "not that hot" until about 15sec later

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Super aggressive and super fun.
start off with this beast, splitting it up with friends, will help get the party started right. = enter BEAST MODE 120
suggest you don't drink more then 1 and go with a session-able beer after this

4.78/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Knocked me on my ass. This is the purple drank of beers.

I can't do a fair review until I get the opportunity to have another one, but it was the best beer I've ever had. The distribution range is pretty limited, unfortunately. The 60-minute is also incredible if you can't spring for the alcohol content. But you can. I mean, come on.

3.59/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As others have stated, I do not understand how this is called an IPA. It's more of a barleywine.

4.74/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally decided that because I got hired for a new job, I had to open my 120 that was bottled in September 2014. It's the first time I'm having one and I couldn't wait any longer.

A: Hazy, dark orange/brown. I'm unable to physically see my fingers through the glass.

S: I was surprised here. I was expecting a harsh west coast smell, but it's actually much more malty, with a subtle smell of hops, and alcohol on the back.

T: Starts off almost like a white wine, with a malty back, and then a slight bitter hops, before the booze hits on the back. Not at all like any beer I've had, and it almost pushes a wine/liquor drink. It has a roasty oak flavor that is something special as well. As it warms a more grapefruit note comes through as the malt takes a back seat.

F: Not the thickest beers I've drank, but it has some body. It actually is quite smooth, and carbonated well. I've had a 16% before, and this one is 100x easier to drink than the 16% I had.

O: As I find myself getting boozed up off of one beer, I can't help but be amazed at what I'm drinking. It's an experience like no other, and just because it's a 120 min IPA, don't expect it to be a hop bomb. It's very complex, and is something everyone needs to be willing to throw the money at and try.

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If whiskey were a beer, basically. The first beer I've tried that's this massive. It was legendary before I had the opportunity to sip, and it really tastes more or less like I would expect it to: the alcohol of a rich red wine, the balanced malt-and-hop-bitterness of the 90 minute IPA, but highly refined. The only strike against this beer is that it is so refined as to be unbeerlike in nearly every way.

Had a Westmalle Tripel after this, and actually think that was better, despite love-love-loving IPAs and Dogfish Head.

Still, not complaining one bit. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I savored every drop of it. Not sure how much it would set me back to fund the tasting myself (the fellow who shared it got it from a friend himself), but I'd be willing to buy it to share the experience with the uninitiated.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery