120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Reviews by alleykatking:
alleykatking

Indiana

My roommate and I split a bottle of this after I got off one night at work. Bottled July 2008. It was my roommates first extreme beer. I think his cherry exploded after the firstd taste.

A- Poured into a small plastic cup (I know I know but I was at work). Massive and I mean massive head that never really quite left. I notice if you taste the foam it is nothing but hops. Lacing left everywhere that the foam could touch. Medium murky copper brown appearance.

S- Lots of hop smell to this. Almost a sweet alcohol undertone to this. I couldn't help but smell this for about 3 minutes before I even tasted it.

T- Holy shit...this is almost to extreme for someone who hasn't been prepared for it (seeing the look on my roommates face). Hop undertones that almost get put behind a sugary alcohol taste. Very sweet but seemed a lot more mellow than fresher bottles in the past that I've had.

M- Thick....chewy....coats your mouth in a sugary hoppy goodness.

D- Yea I only drink one of these everytime I am in the mood for a 120. More than that and I'm afraid I would upset my stomach with the sugary sweetness. Kind of like drinking Boones Farm to get fucked up. You puke from the sugar intake not because you are drunk.

Dogfish Head never ceases to amaze me. Much like my roommate who after taking a couple sips doesn't want any more. And instead of letting me finish it for him just slammed it instead. Then wants to complain 5 minutes later that he feels warm...go figure.

04-06-2009 07:59:05 | More by alleykatking
oberon

4.05/5  rDev -1%

My first crack at this bad boy its been a long time comin,pours a clear golden with some deep orange tint with a thin white head.Citrus infused vodka is the aroma I get mainly with this puppy with a light nuttiness barely peeking thru but this beer shows its alcohol and hops in the nose for sure.This bottle was was bottled this year so its relatively young and very powerful,pretty syrupy tongue-coating mouthfeel.Very interesting complexities going on pretty darn sweet for an IPA very alcoholic the hops are asexpected intense but everything about this ale is intense.now at $8.95 for a 12 ounce thats pretty high but this is quite the experience,one other thing I notice as this warms a little not only does the alcohol show thru more but a tropical fruit flavor lingers as well pineapple mainly man this complex.

07-03-2005 18:42:22 | More by oberon
Marty

Maine

2.83/5  rDev -30.8%

I remember a long time ago, trying Unibrou's Maudite and thinking it was completely excessive, too flavorful, and just plain bad. Then again, at the time I'd probably never had a beer greater than 8% ABV. Wasn't I surprised, then, months later when I tried it again... and loved it.

I'm wondering if that's going to be the case with this beer. Granted, at almost $8 PER 12 oz. BOTTLE, I'm not sure it'll fit in my budget any time soon. At least, not until my portfolio matures.

My stance, for now, is that this is a beer for special occasions. If you drank one of these every day after work, you'd quickly become an alcoholic, because there is just a ton of alcohol in it.

As far as taste goes, this beer is all about the alcohol and the hops. The film left behind the dissipating head was so sticky that it never left.

Really, I have no gripes with this beer. I love hops, I love strong IPAs, but this beer was just too much for me. Once I've decided to stop being a pansy, I'll try again. Who knows, maybe I'll love it!

11-05-2005 03:52:38 | More by Marty
RoyalT

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance – Scarily devoid of any head to speak of. The body is florescent orange and very clear.

Smell – Strong, floral hops with a big orange compliment. There’s some balancing malt as well making for a well-rounded aroma.

The sweetness is primarily tropical fruit. There’s a huge pineapple and orange melon aroma as well as smashed cocktail cherries. The malt is kind of bready and very solid. I swear this smells like a good Abbey Tripel.

Taste – This was rich and chewy like you wouldn’t believe. The orange malt flavor is big here, read Abbey Tripel again, with huge alcohol notes. The hops are lost in the madness.

The fruits from the nose are monstrous; almost overpowering. Mixed with the strong alcohol it’s like an Abbey Tripel cocktail. This lacks the subtle notes of the equally powerful World Wide Stout. This ale shamelessly flaunts its high ABV and style deviation.

Mouthfeel – No carbonation and somewhat smooth, all things considered. This ale is a behemoth in the mouth. Don’t drink this with a raw cut in the oral cavity. You could use this stuff to numb the gums for a root canal. The alcohol is overpowering in the mouth, which is too bad because there are some good flavors in here that get lost in the booze.

Drinkability – I wouldn’t recommend driving cross-country and sucking down a few of these bad boys. You have to take it real easy with this batch. I did my taste and gave the rest to the wife to finish.

10-31-2003 05:00:25 | More by RoyalT
pbsmooth

12-14-2011 19:40:14 | More by pbsmooth
DanGeo

05-30-2013 03:32:55 | More by DanGeo
tectactoe

3.66/5  rDev -10.5%

On tap at the Oak, 6-oz in a tulip. Nice golden-yellow with strong overtones of orange. A bit foggy in the glass, small white head that doesn't last for long. The nose is oh-so-powerful, full of hops, citrus, and alcohol to the max. Going into this knowing it's an ~18% ABV beer, I was nervous about the taste. To my surprising, it's not nearly as strong or overbearing as you might think. The brew is laid out with a malt character, toasted grains, and a bit of yeast. On top of that are wild, bitter hops, and intense citrus flavors. The bitterness is balanced well by the citrus and the malt. Now I'm not saying the alcohol wasn't noticeable - it certainly was. It provided a strong bite on the forefront and fizzled into an intense warmth and tingling sensation for the rest of the sip. You can feel it warming up your throat and stomach on the way down, too. BUT - it worked well with the beer and was done quite masterfully. It wasn't too strong, making the beer undrinkable, rather it turned the beer into something you have to sit and sip gently, like a fine whiskey. Thick, heavy, carbonated a ton, and a bit sticky on the mouth.

Overall, this isn't something you'd relax with and throw back a sixer. It's obviously much to assertive for something like that. It deserves more care and pampering, like a top shelf mixer. Even though this beer wasn't the greatest, it provided a nice experience and is something I would definitely have again, given the time.

11-08-2012 13:02:46 | More by tectactoe

OhioBobcat

08-05-2013 00:29:48 | More by OhioBobcat
MadScientist

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Decided see what I had of intrest in my cellar so why not a five year old 120.

A: A hazy, medium copper with a deep reddish-orange hue. Some carbonation is evident in initial pour but it look fairly flat there after. The is just a small collar and a thin film of tiny off-white bubbles on top.

S: A mild citrus hops aroma is around but time has changed, I'm thinking of Tums but that could also be the moderately strong malt sweetness and moderate caramel malt aromas. Age had also brought a some moderate raisin notes and a touch of oxidation as well.

T: A rich malt sweetness with a solid hops bitterness. Note surprisingly the hops brillance has faded but there is still moderate lemon and citrus peel flavor along with a light raisin flavor. The balance is fairly bitter however there is a lot of sweetness from the malt. The finish is sweet and the aftertaste is a hops bitterness.

M: The light carbonation gives the perception is thicker than a medium-full bodied beer. Alcohol warmth is apparent

O: Even fresh this beer is has been a too sweet for my taste that sweetness has only increased as the hops have diminished their contribution. Time has mellowed the alcohols character and brought some raisin notes out from the malt.

Bottle 07/07/08

npala86

08-07-2013 20:17:54 | More by npala86
kaimcm

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

bottle from a 2003 batch, reviewed in May of 2006.

A: deep golden, turning to medium brown body. little to no head, though its more carbonation than I expected for the age of this bottle. doesnt look likemuch but I didnt buy it to look at it.

S: loads of sugar, and sweet candied fruit, raisons, some more tropical as well. no hops whatsoever. a little booze and a bit of toffee. plenty of carmelization.

T/M: nice viscosity, thick but coating and pretty drinkable considering. lots o' malt and sugar. very sweet. the hops have completely faded from this brew leaving this big thick and sweet body thats out of balance. plenty of juicy tropical fruits, even some candy qualities, a little cloying. hints of rum.

D: what can one say? a 21% DIPA? come one. this beer exists in its own world where mere mortal language and concepts arent sufficient. who knows? just drink one and you know what can never be said.

while my score for this isnt very high I enjoyed this brew and was impressed at how well it held up. the label says you can age it for a decade or so but i suspect you'd have really expensive paint thinner by then and not much else. get this sucker fresh, despite the alcohol content, dont make the mistake of cellaring this thing.

05-09-2006 03:12:31 | More by kaimcm
Tiernan

05-14-2013 23:59:26 | More by Tiernan
hopsleeroy

2.33/5  rDev -43%

I was excited to try this beer and got even more exicted after trying the 60 and 90 minute, but was sorely disappointed in the 120. It pours a copper/amber with little head which would be expected with some white lacing that stuck around while drinking. The smell was a fair amount of the hops(similiar to 60 and 90), but you could smell a medicinal/solvent aroma. The first taste was like a slap in the face! It is so syrupy sweet that I had trouble swallowing and tasting what else the beer had to offer. The hops aroma and bitterness is there as advertised, but the alcohol sweetness overwhelms the entire beer that there is no balance. I let it warm up some, which balanced the beer a little but not enough.

I enjoyed the novelty of trying this beer, but was barely able to finish even half a glass.

11-26-2007 20:42:49 | More by hopsleeroy
ArrogantDeadGuy

2.4/5  rDev -41.3%

A: Hazy straw hues with a good sturdy white
head. Lazy carbonation.

S: No real hop nose with a dominant alcohol
aroma.

T: Boozy! This was a keg from 2007 (2yrs. old)
The storage caused the loss of nearly all
hop character and made the beer entirely too
sweet. The ABV was dominant and allowed
little else to come through less the sugars.

M/D: Smooth and crisp with plenty of body and
smoothness. Unfortunately the ABV and
lack of hoppiness makes this a less than
desireable aged brew.

08-03-2009 18:22:01 | More by ArrogantDeadGuy
wesbrownyeah

4.58/5  rDev +12%

Dogfish 120 Minute IPA...21+ alcohol content. Bottled date of 01/07/08.

A- Very thick dark orange fluid that shows a mildly active head that falls to excellent heavy lacing that sticks to glass. Supernova look in the light mild orange tint in middle and dark firey outer shell of glass. NICE.

S- The beer is over a foot and a half from my nose and I smell it! Heavy sweet sugar scent with thick overtones of Malts and hops. Very appearent hop oil smell with alcohol esters obvious.

T- Severly complex in flavor that is combined with every flavor in mind. Starts with heavy brown sugar thickness, massive malt body, followed by a alcohol warmth, finishing with a great hop bitterness tart and tang.

M-D- Thick and very alcohol feel and taste. It's my favorite "can you?" beer. Can you drink it all like any other? Yes I can! Heavy malts and hops can almost crush any average drinkers palate. I personally can down the whole damn thing in about 15 mins. Hardcore flavor means a need for a hardcore drinker. Like light beers? Dont waste the money on trying a true massive hopped and aged beer like this.

Note: Love Hops? Go for it! Just bought out the last of 08 120's in local store.

Note: 5/31/09 Had 5/02/09 bottle i recommend that you keep it for at least a year before drinking. Very mild stuff at first.

05-06-2009 02:20:33 | More by wesbrownyeah
Clonies720

3.41/5  rDev -16.6%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter. This is relatively fresh 120 minute I think?, and not aged by me. Marked "2012K 23:43". 18% ABV.

Appearance: Fluffy off-white head. Pours a semi-clear golden orange color.

Aroma: A big hit of malty sweetness to my nose. A light fruity ester combined with a hint a pine and citrus. The aroma then melds into wet and juicy hops.

Taste: It's quite sweet. To the point of being cloy and nearly unbearable. Can't really taste the hops at all. Very bready.

Mouthfeel: Thick and full-bodied with a syrup/molasses-like presence on the tongue. Medium-carbonation.

Overall: Actually not half bad. I'll be interested to see where 1 year of aging on the 2nd bottle I have takes this beer. 18% ABV, and the wholly sweet nature of this brew make it a slow sipper to enjoy and warm up on a cold night.

04-12-2013 22:20:05 | More by Clonies720
poibag808

Hawaii

4.25/5  rDev +3.9%

bottle share with friend. poured into dogfish head snifter.

A:deep orange with about 1/2 finger head.

S: sweet with heavy alcohol notes.

T: Sweet up front with slight alcohol burn in the back. Not bitter at all which surprised be for being a IPA hopped for 2 hours. Gets sticky/cloying as you keep drinking it.

Good beer, but the taste is not what I expected.

12-04-2011 09:40:42 | More by poibag808