120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,139 | Reviews: 2,128
Reviews by alleykatking:
4.02/5  rDev -2.2%

My roommate and I split a bottle of this after I got off one night at work. Bottled July 2008. It was my roommates first extreme beer. I think his cherry exploded after the firstd taste.

A- Poured into a small plastic cup (I know I know but I was at work). Massive and I mean massive head that never really quite left. I notice if you taste the foam it is nothing but hops. Lacing left everywhere that the foam could touch. Medium murky copper brown appearance.

S- Lots of hop smell to this. Almost a sweet alcohol undertone to this. I couldn't help but smell this for about 3 minutes before I even tasted it.

T- Holy shit...this is almost to extreme for someone who hasn't been prepared for it (seeing the look on my roommates face). Hop undertones that almost get put behind a sugary alcohol taste. Very sweet but seemed a lot more mellow than fresher bottles in the past that I've had.

M- Thick....chewy....coats your mouth in a sugary hoppy goodness.

D- Yea I only drink one of these everytime I am in the mood for a 120. More than that and I'm afraid I would upset my stomach with the sugary sweetness. Kind of like drinking Boones Farm to get fucked up. You puke from the sugar intake not because you are drunk.

Dogfish Head never ceases to amaze me. Much like my roommate who after taking a couple sips doesn't want any more. And instead of letting me finish it for him just slammed it instead. Then wants to complain 5 minutes later that he feels warm...go figure.

I will preface this review by saying that I don't think I've ever rated a beer a full 5. The idea of finding a "perfect" beer is a little ludicrous, if you ask me. Poured from a 12oz bottle @ ~40F into an oversized short wine glass.

Appearance: Oh my goodness. Absolutely stunning. As I poured, it was a brilliant, bright orange color that reached a glowing, deep orange in the middle, and then slightly lighter at the top. It reminded me of the color of a ripe papaya - just the most vibrant, brilliant, gorgeous shade of orange that I've ever seen in a beer.

Smell: Intoxicating. If I had a slightly larger/wider snifter, I would have used it here. However, the wine glass with the taper at the top helped to gather the smells… certainly more so than a regular pint glass. I picked up many tropical notes including orange, grapefruit, and perhaps a hint of cantaloupe. I’m no expert in isolating specific smells/flavors, but I could tell that there was a lot going on here. I won’t attempt to name 10 different fruits/smells, because at some point the majority of them blend together into a heavenly tropical smell.

Taste: Mind-blowing. It really is something out of a fantasy. An explosion of juicy, bright tropical fruits massaged my palate as I let the sip rest on my tongue for a few seconds to warm up and soak in. The malt takes a back seat as you would expect, with the bitterness of the hops pushing all the right buttons. I absolutely love IPAs and DIPAs, so I can appreciate a good balance between bitterness and flavor. I love a good hop bomb, but those are easy to make. It is much more difficult to make a balanced IPA. I don’t like my IPAs to be too bitter or resinous, but I also don’t like them to be completely floral or citrusy without any bite to back up the flavor. They really nailed it — it’s got the perfect bitterness, a subtle but present floral taste that could easily be missed, and the citrus and tropical flavors launching a full-on assault of the palate. The taste of DFH 120 is simply too good to be overstated.

Mouthfeel: The DFH 120 mouthfeel fits my ideal criteria. At first there was a bit of a bite, like excess carbonation combined with the high alcohol content. The carbonation is right on the money, though. Not too much or too little. It’s juicy enough to wet your palate, but dry enough to have the perfect amount of bite. The high ABV warms the palate as well, but it’s not as hot as I expected it to be. I’ve definitely had hotter mouthfeels from DIPAs and Imperial Stouts around 10-15% ABV. For comparison, Surly Sÿx was significantly hotter at the same temperature than the DFH 120. They got the balance just right with this one. I noticed that when I smiled, the alcohol gave a nice little burn on my gums. It seems inconsequential, but it added to the enjoyment of this brew a lot.

Overall: This beer nearly drove me to tears. It is truly extraordinary. All I could think while drinking it was "WOW." It’s taken me a while to write this review, because my experience was beyond words. I got into craft beer around 2-3 years ago, taking brewery tours, hunting down rare/seasonal beers, trading with friends, and having tasting parties with friends and coworkers. Sometimes I would pay around 3-4 times the amount of a good craft 6-pack for a single bomber/750mL bottle of a rare brew. People are always astonished at the price of some of the rarer beers, most of them saying something along the lines of “that’s so overpriced.” Sometimes I agree — there are definitely some overpriced beers that are not good enough to warrant a $20+ asking price for a 750mL. I treat these beers like liquid gold, making sure to savor every drop. The moment I took my first sip of DFH 120, I was flooded with memories of my first really fresh IPAs and DIPAs. It brought back the excitement I used to get from finding an incredible new brew that pushed all of the right buttons for me — beautiful colors, intoxicating smells, bitter floral and citrus flavors, and a juicy mouthfeel, leaning towards the dry side. Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA is everything that made me love craft beer in the first place. It has become my reference IPA. Something to compare all others to. Something to remember fondly. Something to define my tastes. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Huge thanks to Dogfish Head for making one for the hardcore IPA fans. I think I can easily say that 120 Minute IPA has earned its way into one of my top 5 favorite beers of all time. If I’ve ever had anything close to a perfect beer, this is it. I’ve finally peaked. I guess that should make me sad because I don’t know if I’ll ever find anything more delicious, but it makes me happy, because I feel lucky to have been able to find, enjoy, and savor this exquisite brew over easily one of the best hours of my life. It is simply out of this world. It is everything that is craft beer. Bravo, Dogfish Head. Bravo.

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

bottled on 5/10/07 for consumption on 7/21/14

Appearance - pours a muddy, brackish plum-brown. Just a faint cover of bubbles, barely sustaining a collar.

Aroma - rum-soaked shortbread and caramel. A boozy citrusy element that is not like Grand Marnier, but it makes me think of it just the same. A touch of plums and soy.

Taste - hard Christmas candy with the weird fruit filling. Light citrus but its there. Extremely warming in the throat and belly, mmm. A light smack of hops, not near enough to balance, just gives a little nip. Some light soy and/or anise as well. Lots of fun flavors to pick out and enjoy. Unbelievably easy to drink for its strength. Yes, the alcohol is certainly evident but the beer's flavors are plenty intense and integrated enough for it to work out wonderfully.

Mouthfeel - impressive carbonation seven+ years later. The body is big without becoming heavy, which could lend too much weight to the sugary aspects of the beer.

Overall - Excellent stuff at both three and seven years, I'll give a new bottle a whirl next time, though I suspect fresh hops rule the day. Toasting 20K on the fitbit - cheers!
***

2003 Edition sampled on 3/18/06
Appearance - pours a clouded light orange color, a snappy but short-lived head on top. 3.5

Aroma - a new experience on this one. I pick up the initial expected fruit and booziness, though not to the degree I expected. But then I get this unmistakeable spicy aroma. A cooking spice, what is it, I know the smell...then it hits my brain - curry! Are my hands clean? Sure enough, and I just washed out the glass from my last beer. Sniff again - curry again. Perhaps this is the effect on my senses when hops get over-saturated into a beer? I don't know. I like curry but I am unsure of what to expect on the taste. 3.5

Taste - wow. No curry here, but this is in the 'beer candy' genre. Intensely sweet, as if it's been concentrated. Orange candy, honey, pineapple, some mildly spicy hop component, and now and then a breath of that curry, but barely. Big alcohol finish, but not as brash as I thought it'd be. Beautifully supportive of the hops flavor, I don't think I can remember a beer being so hoppy and yet so sweet instead of bitter. Without fail, every time I take a sip, I get a whiff of that curry, but it generally does not appear in the flavor profile with any force. Finishes wet, warm and coating. 5

Mouthfeel - very thick, the carbonation holds its own among the heavyweight flavors. 5

Drinkability - I am so glad I grabbed this and am hopeful that I can wait another 5 or 6 years to sample the other one. 5

3.94/5  rDev -4.1%

bottle from a 2003 batch, reviewed in May of 2006.

A: deep golden, turning to medium brown body. little to no head, though its more carbonation than I expected for the age of this bottle. doesnt look likemuch but I didnt buy it to look at it.

S: loads of sugar, and sweet candied fruit, raisons, some more tropical as well. no hops whatsoever. a little booze and a bit of toffee. plenty of carmelization.

T/M: nice viscosity, thick but coating and pretty drinkable considering. lots o' malt and sugar. very sweet. the hops have completely faded from this brew leaving this big thick and sweet body thats out of balance. plenty of juicy tropical fruits, even some candy qualities, a little cloying. hints of rum.

D: what can one say? a 21% DIPA? come one. this beer exists in its own world where mere mortal language and concepts arent sufficient. who knows? just drink one and you know what can never be said.

while my score for this isnt very high I enjoyed this brew and was impressed at how well it held up. the label says you can age it for a decade or so but i suspect you'd have really expensive paint thinner by then and not much else. get this sucker fresh, despite the alcohol content, dont make the mistake of cellaring this thing.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice glass. 2014 bottle.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange with a lot of bubbles. About one finger of off white head that slowly fades into a thin creamy layer.

Smell: An earthy, juicy, and boozy hop forward aroma with hints of citrus, grass, and caramel malt. Earthy and herbal hops with big hints of spicy pine resin and wet grass. Citrus hop hints of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, pineapple, and melon. Sweet hints of brown sugar and vanilla. Big malt backing with sweet hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit, grains, and yeast. Alcohol is quite noticeable. A pretty good aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a huge earthy, juicy, and boozy hop forward taste with big notes of citrus, pine, and sweet malt. Upfront earthy, herbal, and floral hops with dank and spicy notes of pine resin and grass. Juicy citrus hop notes of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, pineapple, and melon. Sweet taste of brown sugar and some subtle notes of vanilla and other candied sugar. Big malt background with notes of sweet caramel, toffee, grains, biscuit, and yeast. Fairly boozy. A very good aggressive taste.

Mouthfeel: Very full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very oily, chewy, and drying. Alcohol heat is pretty noticeable but it’s not too extreme.

Overall: A very good monster of a beer. Huge aggressive bitter hops with an almost equally big sweet malt backing. It’s almost too much but it’s quite good as a sipper.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

It's a deep and cloudy copper-orange. I get a big frothy-white head out of this puppy, which is awesome considering the alcohol content.

The nose is pure-sweet-big-malt. Like a barleywine with the candied fruits. Sherry, raisin, prune, caramel, boozy and fruity and sweet. It's a fortified wine or liqueur from this nose, for sure.

First sip.. sweet... an orange liqueur is not far from it, but it's obviously hopped. What and interesting beer. Almost cloying but it's warranted!? I don't know.Can't quite place it. It's maybe the most intense version of an American Barleywine you can find. Hoppy and boozy and sweet, yet somehow it makes it work. For whatever ABV my version is, it is not as obvious as I have noticed with other double digit beers. Definitely more balanced and hidden than Molotov Cocktail. It's surprisingly smooth, but the sweetness keeps it a sipper. I don't know if it's possible, but even more hops could be expressed in this malt backbone if they wanted, because there is a COLOSSAL dosage of sweetness and alcohol. IPA this is not. BA needs a new style that is neither American Barleywine nor Imperial IPA. Evil Twin, Knee Deep and DFH have offerings into this unique style.

If you ever find yourself staring across from this beer... no matter the price point, it is something you must try as a beer nerd. Nuff Said.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance: Pours out a bright orange as it flows into your glass, it gets a bit darker-a brownish/orange murky color towards the center. Mild carbonation, and a nice had on top. The head is an off white color and thins out into a multitude of islands covering the top of the beer. Very strong lacing in this ale marks every sip you take.
Smell: Strong hops, grapefruit and orange zest, you can pick up a slight melon aroma the first second on every sniff. There are some other spices I here that make this one hell of a great smelling ale.
Taste: This has a very complicated taste to it, the dryness hits you first and then it breaks up into a whole mess of flavors, hops, orange zest, spices and more. Its very earthy for a DIPA and not overpowering with hops either. Grapefruit and brown sugar seem to mix together as it moves toward the back of your throat. The alcohol is up front in this ale. Its mildly tart on the edges of your mouth.
Mouthfeel: Starts of smooth for the first quick half second, semi dry and full bodied. The alcohol becomes most evident right before you swallow.
Overall: This is one great DIPA and was well worth the wait, I can’t wait to taste this one again, definitely one of the best beers I’ve had in a while.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Hazy gold body, medium off-white head. Fades mostly to a thin layer. No lacing.
S - Smells thick. Heavy citrus, grapefruit, I get some biscuit malt there too.
T - Holy hops! Heavy on the hops. Bitterness is overwhelming and then the malt backbone is overwhelming I imagine these both mellow with age. There is a lot going on here. Boozy burn at the end drys everything out and lingers.
M - Thick, low carb. Coats the palate and then dries out. Leaves a slight numbness.
O - This is not an everyday beer, or even every month. This is a special beer for special occasions. Treat it as such. I enjoyed this over a 2 hour period and appreciated the changes as it warms. This is a great beer, but is difficult to find and expensive when you do. For me, personally, that takes away from the beer. Definitely worth a try if you're curious. You won't find too many beers like it.

Bought 2 , i guess late 2015/eRly 2015. Totally Lived up to the hype. I bought 2 with the idea of aging. Not going to happen. Cant wait for the next special occasion to break it open. Next friday will do.

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

Too boozy for me brah

Have one aging. ..hopefully for the best

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Super aggressive and super fun.
start off with this beast, splitting it up with friends, will help get the party started right. = enter BEAST MODE 120
suggest you don't drink more then 1 and go with a session-able beer after this

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Knocked me on my ass. This is the purple drank of beers.

I can't do a fair review until I get the opportunity to have another one, but it was the best beer I've ever had. The distribution range is pretty limited, unfortunately. The 60-minute is also incredible if you can't spring for the alcohol content. But you can. I mean, come on.

3.59/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As others have stated, I do not understand how this is called an IPA. It's more of a barleywine.

4.74/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally decided that because I got hired for a new job, I had to open my 120 that was bottled in September 2014. It's the first time I'm having one and I couldn't wait any longer.

A: Hazy, dark orange/brown. I'm unable to physically see my fingers through the glass.

S: I was surprised here. I was expecting a harsh west coast smell, but it's actually much more malty, with a subtle smell of hops, and alcohol on the back.

T: Starts off almost like a white wine, with a malty back, and then a slight bitter hops, before the booze hits on the back. Not at all like any beer I've had, and it almost pushes a wine/liquor drink. It has a roasty oak flavor that is something special as well. As it warms a more grapefruit note comes through as the malt takes a back seat.

F: Not the thickest beers I've drank, but it has some body. It actually is quite smooth, and carbonated well. I've had a 16% before, and this one is 100x easier to drink than the 16% I had.

O: As I find myself getting boozed up off of one beer, I can't help but be amazed at what I'm drinking. It's an experience like no other, and just because it's a 120 min IPA, don't expect it to be a hop bomb. It's very complex, and is something everyone needs to be willing to throw the money at and try.

If I was stranded on an island and I could only bring an endless supply of one type of beer with me, this would be the one. I do believe this is the greatest beer I've ever drank in my life. The flavor is awesome and the feeling I get from one is generally clean and positive. I think that sounds strange, but I believe it to be true. Every time I drink this beer I feel happy, whereas with some other beers (not all, of course) it can be quite the opposite.

I wish this beer was a person so I could be good friends with it.

3.62/5  rDev -11.9%

I've really wanted to try this beer for a long time but thought that I would have to travel out of Indiana to get some but little did I know that last week my liquor store in Brownsburg got a few cases! At $10 a pop I only got 2 but I was excited.

A - Deep orange color. Pours thick! Totally opaque from all the hops and malt packed into this beer. Light white head with light lacing.

S - Very strong malt character with lots of alcohol and some raw citrus-type hops. Not any where near the hop smell that I expected. Smells more like a strong barley wine with the malty backbone forcing most of the aromatics.

T - The first sip there are lots of flavors but mostly the rich malt character holds true, then the alcohol "flavor" more than just heat and then the hop resins come with some flavor but mostly just bitterness. The bitterness seems to mask the late addition hops making it feel more like a hop bomb instead of showcasing individual hop flavors. It feels like the alcohol burn sticks to the back of your mouth from the beer's thickness and the hops you can't just exhale the booziness.

M - Super high mouth-feel with lighter carbonation. The thickest IIPA I could ever had even dreamed of; it's basically a 20% American Barley Wine with less of the caramel tones and color.

Overall, a different DIPA experience and not my favorite. I still think that the best way to describe this beer is a super-charged Barley Wine. The alcohol heat burns the hops into your throat. I was disappointed by this beer especially when comparing this to the amazing 90-Minute IPA from DFH which is has tons of hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness along with the malt and alcohol but this is the complete opposite. I love hops, bitterness, and straight booze but I think the thickness along with the alcohol burn killed it for me. I will try my other one after a couple other beers to really put me down and hopefully after a few beers the burn won't be so devastating.

Glass- Snifter

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

This was pitched to me as the holy grail of American IPAs. And, you know, it was good but the 18% ABV is a little unnecessary and influences the taste. The beernerd orgasms over the 120 minute didn't connect with me. Maybe it was just too much hype.

4.07/5  rDev -1%

My first crack at this bad boy its been a long time comin,pours a clear golden with some deep orange tint with a thin white head.Citrus infused vodka is the aroma I get mainly with this puppy with a light nuttiness barely peeking thru but this beer shows its alcohol and hops in the nose for sure.This bottle was was bottled this year so its relatively young and very powerful,pretty syrupy tongue-coating mouthfeel.Very interesting complexities going on pretty darn sweet for an IPA very alcoholic the hops are asexpected intense but everything about this ale is intense.now at $8.95 for a 12 ounce thats pretty high but this is quite the experience,one other thing I notice as this warms a little not only does the alcohol show thru more but a tropical fruit flavor lingers as well pineapple mainly man this complex.

2.86/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I remember a long time ago, trying Unibrou's Maudite and thinking it was completely excessive, too flavorful, and just plain bad. Then again, at the time I'd probably never had a beer greater than 8% ABV. Wasn't I surprised, then, months later when I tried it again... and loved it.

I'm wondering if that's going to be the case with this beer. Granted, at almost $8 PER 12 oz. BOTTLE, I'm not sure it'll fit in my budget any time soon. At least, not until my portfolio matures.

My stance, for now, is that this is a beer for special occasions. If you drank one of these every day after work, you'd quickly become an alcoholic, because there is just a ton of alcohol in it.

As far as taste goes, this beer is all about the alcohol and the hops. The film left behind the dissipating head was so sticky that it never left.

Really, I have no gripes with this beer. I love hops, I love strong IPAs, but this beer was just too much for me. Once I've decided to stop being a pansy, I'll try again. Who knows, maybe I'll love it!

4.14/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Appearance – Scarily devoid of any head to speak of. The body is florescent orange and very clear.

Smell – Strong, floral hops with a big orange compliment. There’s some balancing malt as well making for a well-rounded aroma.

The sweetness is primarily tropical fruit. There’s a huge pineapple and orange melon aroma as well as smashed cocktail cherries. The malt is kind of bready and very solid. I swear this smells like a good Abbey Tripel.

Taste – This was rich and chewy like you wouldn’t believe. The orange malt flavor is big here, read Abbey Tripel again, with huge alcohol notes. The hops are lost in the madness.

The fruits from the nose are monstrous; almost overpowering. Mixed with the strong alcohol it’s like an Abbey Tripel cocktail. This lacks the subtle notes of the equally powerful World Wide Stout. This ale shamelessly flaunts its high ABV and style deviation.

Mouthfeel – No carbonation and somewhat smooth, all things considered. This ale is a behemoth in the mouth. Don’t drink this with a raw cut in the oral cavity. You could use this stuff to numb the gums for a root canal. The alcohol is overpowering in the mouth, which is too bad because there are some good flavors in here that get lost in the booze.

Drinkability – I wouldn’t recommend driving cross-country and sucking down a few of these bad boys. You have to take it real easy with this batch. I did my taste and gave the rest to the wife to finish.

4.79/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

On tap at the Oak, 6-oz in a tulip. Nice golden-yellow with strong overtones of orange. A bit foggy in the glass, small white head that doesn't last for long. The nose is oh-so-powerful, full of hops, citrus, and alcohol to the max. Going into this knowing it's an ~18% ABV beer, I was nervous about the taste. To my surprising, it's not nearly as strong or overbearing as you might think. The brew is laid out with a malt character, toasted grains, and a bit of yeast. On top of that are wild, bitter hops, and intense citrus flavors. The bitterness is balanced well by the citrus and the malt. Now I'm not saying the alcohol wasn't noticeable - it certainly was. It provided a strong bite on the forefront and fizzled into an intense warmth and tingling sensation for the rest of the sip. You can feel it warming up your throat and stomach on the way down, too. BUT - it worked well with the beer and was done quite masterfully. It wasn't too strong, making the beer undrinkable, rather it turned the beer into something you have to sit and sip gently, like a fine whiskey. Thick, heavy, carbonated a ton, and a bit sticky on the mouth.

Overall, this isn't something you'd relax with and throw back a sixer. It's obviously much to assertive for something like that. It deserves more care and pampering, like a top shelf mixer. Even though this beer wasn't the greatest, it provided a nice experience and is something I would definitely have again, given the time.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery