Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,144 | Hads: 7,514

This beer is perfect.

Obviously it's strong. It's 20% abv!!

Weak hearted please stay away.

I don't need to say anything about the taste. If you're drinking it you can figure it out!

My all time fav beer. Always. I wish it was available all year.

I buy this @ Andersonville Wine and Spirits in Chicago. This has to be one of my most favorite treats. The overwelming flavor and aroma of hops is a beautiful thing. I definately cant say enough and am not articulate enough to give a worthy description. The only thing I can say is try it very cold in a snifter to apreciate the complexities of the aroma and the bountiful tastes.

While on a beach vacation to Dewey, Delaware I stopped in Milton at the brewery and had a 10 oz serving at the brewery, excellent!

I enjoyed it so much that I went back a few times during the vacation to have several more 10 oz serving.

Definitely recommended!

Don't ask me how, but I got a 4 pack of this stuff for $10! Just cracked open the first bottle and poured it into a snifter. I'm already excited. Right away I could smell some good stuff coming from this. Lots of citric and floral hops. Smells like a bouquet, lots of tropical fruits. As I let it sit out for a bit, the alcohol presence kind of makes itself known on the back of the notes. The beer pours a beautiful hazy amber with a decently sized creamy head that lingered for a while. Now its time to sip.

Lots of flavors. Hard to pin point them all on this first sip. Balanced is surprisingly better than I expected considering the high degree of gravity this beers boiled at. You can tell there's a ton of hop presence through taste and even slightly on the swallow.

Up front it's very syrupy almost orange marmalade like with some pineapple and even apricots. Very thick in the middle, slightly warming like cough syrup on the swallow but not too bad. The mouthfeel is very very thick with slight carbonation but again, more carbonation than I expected. Getting some pineapple taste on the swallow as well.

The sweetness builds, definitely a sipper but unlike most sweet beers it doesnt have that terrible raisin aftertaste lingering around. A lot of citric and piny hops on the swallow that can be detected taste wise. You can sense the tiniest bit of bitterness but not much, however I do wish there was more.

What do I have to say about this big beer after all is said and done? I like it a lot. More than I thought I would. On the sweet side but better balance than you'd expect. I'd like to try and age some of these but I doubt they'll last that long. Also another plus about this beer is it's a quick and easy buzz in a bottle. I tried to identify more flavors half way through the bottle but i'm afraid my tastebuds already took the day off! enjoy!

2012 vintage poured into a tulip.
Appearance: Clear sunset golden orange. Fingers worth of an off white head. Epic alcohol legs and tons of lacing.

Smell: Pineapple, mango, peach, sweet orange, grapefruit, Crème brûlée and sweet malt.

Taste: Really follows the nose. Explosion of fruits, mango, peach, nectarine, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, toffee. Sweet malt provides a perfect counterbalance to the assault of hops.

Mouth Feel: Full and viscous without being cloying. Nice amount of carbonation carries it through the palate.

Overall: This for me is the perfect IPA. Extreme hops, extreme malt and incredibly balanced.

Bought 2 , i guess late 2015/eRly 2015. Totally Lived up to the hype. I bought 2 with the idea of aging. Not going to happen. Cant wait for the next special occasion to break it open. Next friday will do.

I will preface this review by saying that I don't think I've ever rated a beer a full 5. The idea of finding a "perfect" beer is a little ludicrous, if you ask me. Poured from a 12oz bottle @ ~40F into an oversized short wine glass.

Appearance: Oh my goodness. Absolutely stunning. As I poured, it was a brilliant, bright orange color that reached a glowing, deep orange in the middle, and then slightly lighter at the top. It reminded me of the color of a ripe papaya - just the most vibrant, brilliant, gorgeous shade of orange that I've ever seen in a beer.

Smell: Intoxicating. If I had a slightly larger/wider snifter, I would have used it here. However, the wine glass with the taper at the top helped to gather the smells… certainly more so than a regular pint glass. I picked up many tropical notes including orange, grapefruit, and perhaps a hint of cantaloupe. I’m no expert in isolating specific smells/flavors, but I could tell that there was a lot going on here. I won’t attempt to name 10 different fruits/smells, because at some point the majority of them blend together into a heavenly tropical smell.

Taste: Mind-blowing. It really is something out of a fantasy. An explosion of juicy, bright tropical fruits massaged my palate as I let the sip rest on my tongue for a few seconds to warm up and soak in. The malt takes a back seat as you would expect, with the bitterness of the hops pushing all the right buttons. I absolutely love IPAs and DIPAs, so I can appreciate a good balance between bitterness and flavor. I love a good hop bomb, but those are easy to make. It is much more difficult to make a balanced IPA. I don’t like my IPAs to be too bitter or resinous, but I also don’t like them to be completely floral or citrusy without any bite to back up the flavor. They really nailed it — it’s got the perfect bitterness, a subtle but present floral taste that could easily be missed, and the citrus and tropical flavors launching a full-on assault of the palate. The taste of DFH 120 is simply too good to be overstated.

Mouthfeel: The DFH 120 mouthfeel fits my ideal criteria. At first there was a bit of a bite, like excess carbonation combined with the high alcohol content. The carbonation is right on the money, though. Not too much or too little. It’s juicy enough to wet your palate, but dry enough to have the perfect amount of bite. The high ABV warms the palate as well, but it’s not as hot as I expected it to be. I’ve definitely had hotter mouthfeels from DIPAs and Imperial Stouts around 10-15% ABV. For comparison, Surly Sÿx was significantly hotter at the same temperature than the DFH 120. They got the balance just right with this one. I noticed that when I smiled, the alcohol gave a nice little burn on my gums. It seems inconsequential, but it added to the enjoyment of this brew a lot.

Overall: This beer nearly drove me to tears. It is truly extraordinary. All I could think while drinking it was "WOW." It’s taken me a while to write this review, because my experience was beyond words. I got into craft beer around 2-3 years ago, taking brewery tours, hunting down rare/seasonal beers, trading with friends, and having tasting parties with friends and coworkers. Sometimes I would pay around 3-4 times the amount of a good craft 6-pack for a single bomber/750mL bottle of a rare brew. People are always astonished at the price of some of the rarer beers, most of them saying something along the lines of “that’s so overpriced.” Sometimes I agree — there are definitely some overpriced beers that are not good enough to warrant a $20+ asking price for a 750mL. I treat these beers like liquid gold, making sure to savor every drop. The moment I took my first sip of DFH 120, I was flooded with memories of my first really fresh IPAs and DIPAs. It brought back the excitement I used to get from finding an incredible new brew that pushed all of the right buttons for me — beautiful colors, intoxicating smells, bitter floral and citrus flavors, and a juicy mouthfeel, leaning towards the dry side. Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA is everything that made me love craft beer in the first place. It has become my reference IPA. Something to compare all others to. Something to remember fondly. Something to define my tastes. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Huge thanks to Dogfish Head for making one for the hardcore IPA fans. I think I can easily say that 120 Minute IPA has earned its way into one of my top 5 favorite beers of all time. If I’ve ever had anything close to a perfect beer, this is it. I’ve finally peaked. I guess that should make me sad because I don’t know if I’ll ever find anything more delicious, but it makes me happy, because I feel lucky to have been able to find, enjoy, and savor this exquisite brew over easily one of the best hours of my life. It is simply out of this world. It is everything that is craft beer. Bravo, Dogfish Head. Bravo.

The most amazing thing about this beer is how good it looks smells tastes and drinks at the alcohol volume its at coming in at 18 percent. It looks like a beer and even retains its head. I aged it for about a year and the smell is still a blast of peach, mango fruity astringent juicy hops reminiscent of a stronger 90 minute mixed in with a the sweet bready smell and an alcohol spice mixed in with the fruity hoppyness.

The taste is that peachy mango fruity juicy hop flavor with the alcohol spice and bready caramel sweetness malts you find in the 60 and 90. Its an amazing beer that is very drinkable. I remember having a sample of this on tap and it was a brighter hoppier taste. This is a bit more subdued but still mixing in so well with the rest of the beer.

This is all about hop flavor which is still a rather blast of it and then the drying bitterness at the end but not too much at all. It still has such a great hop flavor that can't be described unless you taste it. Definitely worth the hype in my opinion. This beer is in another league compared to others.

My boyfriend is the reason that I am a beer snob, and I kinda like it, on his birthday for the last two years we have cracked open an bottle of Dogfish Head 120 IPA on his birthday (Happy Birthday Sam). (10-24-2011)

When we first opened the bottle of awesome, we smelled the cap, and that alone took you to the Happy place that you can visualize via Happy Gilmore.

So we busted out the fancy glasses as to allow the pouring of the beer to be an experience of euphoria as we watched the liquid golden honey poor into and fill the bottom one half of the brandy snifter.

Then we let it set for a few moments, mainly because we had to take pictures.

After that was the tasting. The smell had a strong hold on the senses, you could feel it in your toes, then the taste was a slightly mellowed version of the smell.

The color was a beautiful deep amber and it still had a pop rock fizzy while in your mouth with a repeat of the strong smell that you can experience again in the after taste.

Over all I can not wait for 10-24-12 so that we can have this once a year experience and will do so for the next 3 years.

It's already been said in several reviews. This is this best beer I have ever had. It's a big beer though, so sip and enjoy. Someone said they had three. I would love to, but one is my limit then I drop down to the 90 min. Pour in a nice glass, marvel at the color and aroma. Take a sip and relish. You're probably drinking the best beer you'll ever have.

On-tap at the Rehoboth Beach brewpub.

I felt damn lucky to try this beer for the first time right after my tour of the DFH brewery. I headed to the beach, and this amazing beer was waiting on me!

A: The beer shows up in a tulip glass, with a coppery/caramel color. A little swirling revealed minimal, sticky lacing.

S: Wow! Just a mixture of sweetness, a little bit of citrusy and piny hops, way less alcohol on the nose than I expected. Smelled fantastic!

T: Damn! A first sip brings this rush of flavor to my tongue. Citrusy hops, some pine, and an almost honey-like sweetness. A malty and hoppy mix of magic. Very warming, a little alcohol bite on the finish. Got even better as it warmed a little.

M: Thick and sticky. Practically coats all it touches, but goes down smoothly.

O: A big, tasty explosion of flavors, great as a sipper to be enjoyed over the course of an hour or so. One of my all-time favorites.

All beers should strive to be this delicious. From beginning to end is a non stop pleasure. My only negative is that I can only get one at a time no matter how hard I look. I'm not sure how the bros only gave it a 95. My top beers are all 100 by the bros except this one which I give a solid 100.

It has been a while since I have found a five but this is it. Pours with a three-finger, bubbly cream head that fades slowly and leaves a nice lace. Cloudy amber color. Good carbonation. Nose is sweet, gingery, malty. Starts with a perfect mix of malt and hops and finishes smooth and sweet NOT a session beer . . . savor this beer . . . their site has this at 20% ABV. Medium bodied. This is the best IPA brewed in the States. Worth $7.99 for a 12oz bottle from Tully's Beer and Wine Wells, Me

Appearance: Copper-orange, with no head or lacework. Looks like my latest batch of homebrew in that respect.

Smell: Fantastic bouquet. The hops are, oddly, not as assertively floral as I would have anticipated. But they're definitely present in a piney, citrusy way. Strong malt aroma as well. Very sweet, almost like brownie dough. Rum and butter notes as well. Quite possibly one of the best *smelling* beers I've ever had.

Taste: Oh my freakin' gawd. Absolutely fantastic flavor. I think I have a new favorite beer. Sweet, malty beginning, very much like a barleywine. Hints of molasses and toffee in the foreground. Mid-palate sees an explosion of ale fruity-ness, with peaches, currants, and chocolate. The finish lingers with buttery rum notes, also some vanilla. The alcohol is well-hidden and doesn't leave a heavy burn.

Mouthfeel: Outstanding. Very small-bead carbonation. Just enough carbonation to give it texture and make it interesting.

Drinkability: This beer is dangerously, deceptively drinkable. It doesn't feel at all like a 40 proof beer. You won't be drinking more than two or MAYBE three of these in a sitting, but individually they drink like lesser beers. You'll have it drained before you know it, and it'll catch up with you.

Perfection!!! Took me over a year to finally obtain. But it was definitely worth the wait and every penny of the $12 I paid. One of the best tasting beers I've ever had. Still can't believe that it's 18 % ABV. Disappointed that the Liquor Store limits the quantity to 1 bottle and that's only for elite customers.

Deliciously stunning and out of this world! It's a heavenly taste that becomes engrained in the palate's memory and one which it will yearn for. I enjoyed and shared this beer while watching a beautiful summer sunset. The beer's bright golden/orange color blended beautifully with the changing sky. As I said, I shared this beer and even half of it got me quite buzzed. This is because the alcohol content is so strong; if you are looking for a beautiful high this is the beer for you. The hops aroma and taste is intense yet it achieves for me a perfect balance with delicious syrupy and caramel like malt sweetness. One of the few beers I can give a 5 to. Quite possibly perfect. We're it not so expensive ($10+ per bottle) my fridge would be stacked with these beauties!

I had this on Tap on IPA Day at Congregation! My First 18% IPA... all i can say is wow!! Had 3 of these. It took a little to get use to but after that it was soo soo smooth!

What I am reviewing here is a 2011 bottle of 120 Minute IPA. As I rate it a 5 across the board, I will tell you that two years I let this age, it will benefit from a few more. At that point, I would love to go higher if possible. Perhaps I am rating this on potential or the fact it is just an awesome beer already that is only going to get much better. I fortunately have one more in the cellar, so time will tell. If you are not tight with a great beer rep, seller, store etc by now, befriend one soon so you can get ahold of some brews like this. They are very limited and very expensive, but almost always worth it. This one was VERY worthy of the $11 price I paid for the 12 oz. bottle. Plus the two agonizing years of waiting. It IS that good.

Color was hazy, burnt-orange
Nose of boozy, malty-bread, figs
Taste of booze, malt, figs, vanilla, bourbon
Mouthfeel is creamy, oily, awesomeness

If you have one now wait. If you have two, drink one and wait for the other. It is not your everyday IPA. AT ALL! It is more like a superior Barleywine with a hop presence. Any way you slice it, it's awesome.

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

5's all around on this one. Incredibly high ABV without tasting like booze. Crisp clean and refreshing. Be careful with this one because it is very drinkable with 18% alchohol

If I was stranded on an island and I could only bring an endless supply of one type of beer with me, this would be the one. I do believe this is the greatest beer I've ever drank in my life. The flavor is awesome and the feeling I get from one is generally clean and positive. I think that sounds strange, but I believe it to be true. Every time I drink this beer I feel happy, whereas with some other beers (not all, of course) it can be quite the opposite.

I wish this beer was a person so I could be good friends with it.

Ok, this beer has lived up to expectations on taste, as so many that i have sought out have not. About 20% it had a bite of alcohol but not as harsh as you would expect. Aroma would wonderful, a very mild fresh hops. Not overwhelming. Mouth feel was a little heavier than a normal IPA, but again strong and aged likely were the thanks to that.

I was lucky enough to share a bottle with a good brew buddy that had been aging it for a year or more. So I don't know how much that change the flavor profile.
Cheers to you Dogfish

This isn't a regular review. I love this beer, and I only finished my second bottle.

About a year ago, I had this for my first time. Today my second. This review encompasses both experiences.

When I first saw this brew on a shelf of a local store, I was astonished. Without hesitation I picked it up. Got home, warmed up the tub, and opened up a Rolling Stone. Glass poured, I was blown away by the pleasant warmth, sweetness, fermentation, colour, scent, and simply appreciated this fine beverage. It was so good you'd think it'd be gone in 15 minutes, but the beverage satisfies, it lingers on your tongue, it was sipped for the course of a couple hours. Feeling good, having a cigarette, listening to classic rock, this was a beer to make you a king.

I tried it again today and really paid no attention to it besides simply enjoying it, yet again, for a couple of hours. This really is, the best beer I have ever had.

What can be said about this legendary brew that has not already? Got a pour at the Dogfish Head Brewery on Milton, DA and, by god, the experience was pure indulgence! From the abundant bouquet of sweet hops, pine and flowers to the well rounded, spirit like taste and mouthful to match - truly one of the best, if not "THE BEST" beers I've ever had the privilege of tasting!

So glad I got some to bring home.

2011 vintage, courtesy of Gerard from Coalhouse Pizza in Stamford, CT (no they don't have any left)

Pours a dark gold/amber, amber in the middle, gold towards the edges. Not much head, just a bit of lacing around the edges. Aroma has sweet malt and yeast, almost like a barleywine, with a ton of hops. Lots of hops. While it certainly looks and smells great, they can't quite match the flavor of the beer.

The taste is massive. The malt is so thick that it feels like syrup, and the taste is so sweet that it is similar. The malt is extraordinarily strong and sweet, balancing out the massive quantity of hops. The hops are dense, they don't stand out as much as they might in lesser quantities, like the brewery's 60 and 90 minute IPAs, rather the whole beer stands as a massive, monolith of malt and hops. The malt is more prominent than any other IPAs that I have had, but the hops are so powerful that the sweetness seems necessary to balance out the bitterness. I don't really get a bitter flavor from the hops, rather the sweetness of the hops shines through.

The flavor is so thick and intense that it is difficult to describe in conventional terms or in comparison to other beers. It isn't the lone overload of hops that many other big IPAs are, but for a beer this strong, it is the monolith of flavor that it must be to have everything about it be this big. Bottom line is that it is really malt-heavy, but the overall flavor is just massive, malt and hops and yeast. The mouthfeel is extremely sweet, the aftertaste lasts a long time and it feels like the beer is still there minutes later.

This is an exceptional beer, perhaps the best I have ever had. For a flavor-intense style, nothing matches it.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery