2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Reviews: 1939

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,254 | Reviews: 1,939 | Show All Ratings:
Afterburner

Appearance: Copper-orange, with no head or lacework. Looks like my latest batch of homebrew in that respect.

Smell: Fantastic bouquet. The hops are, oddly, not as assertively floral as I would have anticipated. But they're definitely present in a piney, citrusy way. Strong malt aroma as well. Very sweet, almost like brownie dough. Rum and butter notes as well. Quite possibly one of the best *smelling* beers I've ever had.

Taste: Oh my freakin' gawd. Absolutely fantastic flavor. I think I have a new favorite beer. Sweet, malty beginning, very much like a barleywine. Hints of molasses and toffee in the foreground. Mid-palate sees an explosion of ale fruity-ness, with peaches, currants, and chocolate. The finish lingers with buttery rum notes, also some vanilla. The alcohol is well-hidden and doesn't leave a heavy burn.

Mouthfeel: Outstanding. Very small-bead carbonation. Just enough carbonation to give it texture and make it interesting.

Drinkability: This beer is dangerously, deceptively drinkable. It doesn't feel at all like a 40 proof beer. You won't be drinking more than two or MAYBE three of these in a sitting, but individually they drink like lesser beers. You'll have it drained before you know it, and it'll catch up with you.

04-14-2004 23:57:59 | More by Afterburner
slvrmon82

Delaware

Absolutely the best tasting beer I have ever had. It is absolutely the hoppiest beer I have ever had. It walks in at a delicious and deadly 18%+. 36 proof beer. I now see why it costs $10 a bottle. It has to be one of the best large extreme beers there are. Every time I can find 120 I will be grabbing some for the vintage closet.

12-04-2007 01:15:50 | More by slvrmon82
kurtissellen

I finally decided it was time to crack this one open. I tried this beer once before, but that was before I became a BA. I credit this beer with enlightening me as to what beer could be and getting me into reviewing and sampling different beers. Well enough reminiscing...

Emptied bottle into oversized wine glass producing a fingers worth of light beige head that receded but never completely. Had a nice glowing orangish amber color to it with carbonation visible and left a fine lace all the way down the glass from the extremely tiny bubbles. Amazing sweet smell of white grape juice and figs. Sweet tastes of honey and maybe a little raisin or fig in there as well. This beer feels like it's just melting in you're mouth with all of the fine carbonation. I didn't even notice the hops at all until the end where I detected a mild hop bitterness. I don't know how they hide the huge amount of alcohol in this, maybe the sweetness masks some of it. Just as awesome as the first time I sampled this one, truly a great beer but not for the faint of heart and to be enjoyed single serving. Still don't understand how they can call this a double IPA it reminds me more of barleywine, I guess I don't care what they call it it's simply just an awesome brew.

05-06-2008 00:24:39 | More by kurtissellen
Herefishey

I buy this @ Andersonville Wine and Spirits in Chicago. This has to be one of my most favorite treats. The overwelming flavor and aroma of hops is a beautiful thing. I definately cant say enough and am not articulate enough to give a worthy description. The only thing I can say is try it very cold in a snifter to apreciate the complexities of the aroma and the bountiful tastes.

A+++

07-11-2008 18:35:03 | More by Herefishey
jdhilt

New Hampshire

It has been a while since I have found a five but this is it. Pours with a three-finger, bubbly cream head that fades slowly and leaves a nice lace. Cloudy amber color. Good carbonation. Nose is sweet, gingery, malty. Starts with a perfect mix of malt and hops and finishes smooth and sweet NOT a session beer . . . savor this beer . . . their site has this at 20% ABV. Medium bodied. This is the best IPA brewed in the States. Worth $7.99 for a 12oz bottle from Tully's Beer and Wine Wells, Me

11-04-2008 23:59:12 | More by jdhilt
Zodijackyl

Connecticut

2011 vintage, courtesy of Gerard from Coalhouse Pizza in Stamford, CT (no they don't have any left)

Pours a dark gold/amber, amber in the middle, gold towards the edges. Not much head, just a bit of lacing around the edges. Aroma has sweet malt and yeast, almost like a barleywine, with a ton of hops. Lots of hops. While it certainly looks and smells great, they can't quite match the flavor of the beer.

The taste is massive. The malt is so thick that it feels like syrup, and the taste is so sweet that it is similar. The malt is extraordinarily strong and sweet, balancing out the massive quantity of hops. The hops are dense, they don't stand out as much as they might in lesser quantities, like the brewery's 60 and 90 minute IPAs, rather the whole beer stands as a massive, monolith of malt and hops. The malt is more prominent than any other IPAs that I have had, but the hops are so powerful that the sweetness seems necessary to balance out the bitterness. I don't really get a bitter flavor from the hops, rather the sweetness of the hops shines through.

The flavor is so thick and intense that it is difficult to describe in conventional terms or in comparison to other beers. It isn't the lone overload of hops that many other big IPAs are, but for a beer this strong, it is the monolith of flavor that it must be to have everything about it be this big. Bottom line is that it is really malt-heavy, but the overall flavor is just massive, malt and hops and yeast. The mouthfeel is extremely sweet, the aftertaste lasts a long time and it feels like the beer is still there minutes later.

This is an exceptional beer, perhaps the best I have ever had. For a flavor-intense style, nothing matches it.

08-21-2011 23:48:30 | More by Zodijackyl
jtierney89

Don't ask me how, but I got a 4 pack of this stuff for $10! Just cracked open the first bottle and poured it into a snifter. I'm already excited. Right away I could smell some good stuff coming from this. Lots of citric and floral hops. Smells like a bouquet, lots of tropical fruits. As I let it sit out for a bit, the alcohol presence kind of makes itself known on the back of the notes. The beer pours a beautiful hazy amber with a decently sized creamy head that lingered for a while. Now its time to sip.

Lots of flavors. Hard to pin point them all on this first sip. Balanced is surprisingly better than I expected considering the high degree of gravity this beers boiled at. You can tell there's a ton of hop presence through taste and even slightly on the swallow.

Up front it's very syrupy almost orange marmalade like with some pineapple and even apricots. Very thick in the middle, slightly warming like cough syrup on the swallow but not too bad. The mouthfeel is very very thick with slight carbonation but again, more carbonation than I expected. Getting some pineapple taste on the swallow as well.

The sweetness builds, definitely a sipper but unlike most sweet beers it doesnt have that terrible raisin aftertaste lingering around. A lot of citric and piny hops on the swallow that can be detected taste wise. You can sense the tiniest bit of bitterness but not much, however I do wish there was more.

What do I have to say about this big beer after all is said and done? I like it a lot. More than I thought I would. On the sweet side but better balance than you'd expect. I'd like to try and age some of these but I doubt they'll last that long. Also another plus about this beer is it's a quick and easy buzz in a bottle. I tried to identify more flavors half way through the bottle but i'm afraid my tastebuds already took the day off! enjoy!

10-15-2011 03:40:20 | More by jtierney89
robe424

My boyfriend is the reason that I am a beer snob, and I kinda like it, on his birthday for the last two years we have cracked open an bottle of Dogfish Head 120 IPA on his birthday (Happy Birthday Sam). (10-24-2011)

When we first opened the bottle of awesome, we smelled the cap, and that alone took you to the Happy place that you can visualize via Happy Gilmore.

So we busted out the fancy glasses as to allow the pouring of the beer to be an experience of euphoria as we watched the liquid golden honey poor into and fill the bottom one half of the brandy snifter.

Then we let it set for a few moments, mainly because we had to take pictures.

After that was the tasting. The smell had a strong hold on the senses, you could feel it in your toes, then the taste was a slightly mellowed version of the smell.

The color was a beautiful deep amber and it still had a pop rock fizzy while in your mouth with a repeat of the strong smell that you can experience again in the after taste.

Over all I can not wait for 10-24-12 so that we can have this once a year experience and will do so for the next 3 years.

10-30-2011 03:46:37 | More by robe424
Lantern

On-tap at the Rehoboth Beach brewpub.

I felt damn lucky to try this beer for the first time right after my tour of the DFH brewery. I headed to the beach, and this amazing beer was waiting on me!

A: The beer shows up in a tulip glass, with a coppery/caramel color. A little swirling revealed minimal, sticky lacing.

S: Wow! Just a mixture of sweetness, a little bit of citrusy and piny hops, way less alcohol on the nose than I expected. Smelled fantastic!

T: Damn! A first sip brings this rush of flavor to my tongue. Citrusy hops, some pine, and an almost honey-like sweetness. A malty and hoppy mix of magic. Very warming, a little alcohol bite on the finish. Got even better as it warmed a little.

M: Thick and sticky. Practically coats all it touches, but goes down smoothly.

O: A big, tasty explosion of flavors, great as a sipper to be enjoyed over the course of an hour or so. One of my all-time favorites.

01-10-2012 16:53:28 | More by Lantern
jaysephx69

A- Hazy copper copper brown, with super thin, barely existent white head

S- First smell is alcohol burn in the nose, pine, citrus, caramel

T- Definitely a sipper. Sweet. Piney, and caramel

M- Viscous. No carbonation. Full body. Leaves a puckering from the booze, sweetness and bitterness.

O- an excellent beer. Extreme flavors that work together

01-22-2012 05:19:57 | More by jaysephx69
thebrood1987

The most amazing thing about this beer is how good it looks smells tastes and drinks at the alcohol volume its at coming in at 18 percent. It looks like a beer and even retains its head. I aged it for about a year and the smell is still a blast of peach, mango fruity astringent juicy hops reminiscent of a stronger 90 minute mixed in with a the sweet bready smell and an alcohol spice mixed in with the fruity hoppyness.

The taste is that peachy mango fruity juicy hop flavor with the alcohol spice and bready caramel sweetness malts you find in the 60 and 90. Its an amazing beer that is very drinkable. I remember having a sample of this on tap and it was a brighter hoppier taste. This is a bit more subdued but still mixing in so well with the rest of the beer.

This is all about hop flavor which is still a rather blast of it and then the drying bitterness at the end but not too much at all. It still has such a great hop flavor that can't be described unless you taste it. Definitely worth the hype in my opinion. This beer is in another league compared to others.

10-26-2012 01:09:39 | More by thebrood1987
Cambo04

With this high alcohol content you would think it would be to much, but oh how it's not. If I hear about this beer being on tap in Dallas, I'm there for the tapping. I love this beer. It pours with a small head but deep caramel color and it just tastes incredible. I also just bought a 4 pack and am aging them at different intervals. I hope everyone can try this beer.

10-29-2012 15:05:59 | More by Cambo04
Brandywine

Washington

2012 vintage poured into a tulip.
Appearance: Clear sunset golden orange. Fingers worth of an off white head. Epic alcohol legs and tons of lacing.

Smell: Pineapple, mango, peach, sweet orange, grapefruit, Crème brûlée and sweet malt.

Taste: Really follows the nose. Explosion of fruits, mango, peach, nectarine, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, toffee. Sweet malt provides a perfect counterbalance to the assault of hops.

Mouth Feel: Full and viscous without being cloying. Nice amount of carbonation carries it through the palate.

Overall: This for me is the perfect IPA. Extreme hops, extreme malt and incredibly balanced.

11-03-2012 03:20:22 | More by Brandywine
Bernardkowalski

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

02-16-2013 23:14:29 | More by Bernardkowalski
laynethiele

What I am reviewing here is a 2011 bottle of 120 Minute IPA. As I rate it a 5 across the board, I will tell you that two years I let this age, it will benefit from a few more. At that point, I would love to go higher if possible. Perhaps I am rating this on potential or the fact it is just an awesome beer already that is only going to get much better. I fortunately have one more in the cellar, so time will tell. If you are not tight with a great beer rep, seller, store etc by now, befriend one soon so you can get ahold of some brews like this. They are very limited and very expensive, but almost always worth it. This one was VERY worthy of the $11 price I paid for the 12 oz. bottle. Plus the two agonizing years of waiting. It IS that good.

Color was hazy, burnt-orange
Nose of boozy, malty-bread, figs
Taste of booze, malt, figs, vanilla, bourbon
Mouthfeel is creamy, oily, awesomeness

If you have one now wait. If you have two, drink one and wait for the other. It is not your everyday IPA. AT ALL! It is more like a superior Barleywine with a hop presence. Any way you slice it, it's awesome.

02-25-2013 06:26:49 | More by laynethiele
matthewlikesbeer

This isn't a regular review. I love this beer, and I only finished my second bottle.

About a year ago, I had this for my first time. Today my second. This review encompasses both experiences.

When I first saw this brew on a shelf of a local store, I was astonished. Without hesitation I picked it up. Got home, warmed up the tub, and opened up a Rolling Stone. Glass poured, I was blown away by the pleasant warmth, sweetness, fermentation, colour, scent, and simply appreciated this fine beverage. It was so good you'd think it'd be gone in 15 minutes, but the beverage satisfies, it lingers on your tongue, it was sipped for the course of a couple hours. Feeling good, having a cigarette, listening to classic rock, this was a beer to make you a king.

I tried it again today and really paid no attention to it besides simply enjoying it, yet again, for a couple of hours. This really is, the best beer I have ever had.

03-02-2013 23:05:19 | More by matthewlikesbeer
Everything_Belgium

This beer is perfect.

Obviously it's strong. It's 20% abv!!

Weak hearted please stay away.

I don't need to say anything about the taste. If you're drinking it you can figure it out!

My all time fav beer. Always. I wish it was available all year.

03-06-2014 00:56:23 | More by Everything_Belgium
TempeBeerMan

Arizona

4.99/5  rDev +22.9%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. 2012 bottle aged about 6 months.

A - Pours a deep gold, almost amber, with a wispy, 1/2 finger head. (Pretty much as expected for an 18%'er) That said, the head maintained at least some presence all the way until the end of the glass. No lacing to speak of.

S - Immensely powerful aroma of freshly made toffee, sticky sweet breads, fusel alcohols which smell a little like magic marker, and an herbal/botanical blend. Smells closer to a barleywine or an old ale than a DIPA, but also totally unique.

T - Surprisingly, a candied sugar maltiness kicks things off in the form of pineapple, mango and orange marmalade, followed by HUGE hops of pine and some bitter grapefruit. Vinous white wine grape esters swirl about. Minty hop bite in the finish. The whole thing is drenched in booze, but I mean that in a good way as it's not at all "hot" on the tongue. ALL the flavors here jacked up to 11 and extremely rich. Some similarities to a good port wine. Man, this is amazing. Is there a way to rate something a 10?

M - Surprisingly delicate bodied, and slightly slick/sticky. Just enough carbonation to tickle the palate. Pretty spot on. Between the booze and the richness, the smallness of the sips I found myself taking while drinking this borders on the ridiculous.

O -Freaking amazing. Unique and complex. Too extreme? If your a wuss, maybe. If not, you can totally lose yourself in the depths of this powerful boozy beast. Yes, it's intense. Yes, the flavors can be jarring, and it might not be the most balanced beer available. That said...may I have another?

02-15-2013 04:48:05 | More by TempeBeerMan
Skidz

Wisconsin

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

2003 Edition, 12oz bottle. Constantly kept cold since purchasing way back when.

This sampling spurred by a roomate opening the bottle and commenting, "gee, this beer tastes funny." Split the beer with him.

Pours out golden amber and sits light garnet in the glass with a smallish white head, keeping a fair skimming and some lacings around the sides.

Amazingly fruity aroma, even after all these years. Soft, juicy grapefruits, oranges, pear with undertones of late-harvest grapes. Mild piney behavior, sugary coatings.

Tastes moderately sweet up front with sugary caramel up and down. Fruitiness dominates, all the afromentioned fruity aromas apply here as well, but in big, sugary doses. Mildly apparent alcoholic tones bring forth a bit of spiciness on the finish.

Rich, creamy and rich, rich, rich in the mouth. Soft and light carbonation and a big, full body.

Even at 21% (was the '03 that high?) this is extrodinarily and exceptionally easy to drink and boasts probably some of the best flavor arrangements I've ever come across. As far as highly suped-up IPAs go, this is on the top rung. Almost no contest.

09-12-2006 01:46:40 | More by Skidz
biacone

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

I think people look at this too much as a beer. I think we need to see this as more than beer. It's closer to ice wine in flavor. Sweet, syrupy with notes of grape and pure sugar cane. The hops are muted, but isnt that the point here. At 18%+, what do you expect? This is an after dinner drink, one you could sit down to with a cigar and relax with. Great job to Dogfish Head and they're forward thinking on beer. We need to look at beer as an art, not a bitter sparkling mess. Beer is the new wine, think of it in that fashion and then try this again. For me, this is what beer should be, art in a glass...Cheers!!!

10-19-2010 02:08:51 | More by biacone
ZenAgnostic

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

Bottle neck stamped 2011 106 1 (maybe the day of the year and batch number?). Poured into a Duvel snifter.

Appearance - Clear amber body. Small pancake batter head with decent stick.

Smell - Very hoppy and malty. Smell keeps changing. Coffee after a few minutes. Alcohol.

Taste - Extreme complexity, beyond almost any beer I've had before. No off flavors. Definite world class beer. Perfect balance and extremity all in one.

Mouthfeel - Very warm. Full bodied. Freels almost irrelevant since the taste is so all-consuming. But very pleasant.

Overall Drinkability - Insane complexity and a lack of off-flavors make this what I consider a perfect beer.

10-01-2011 17:36:54 | More by ZenAgnostic
rodney45

4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

Note: This is the late 2011 batch of this beer. Im trying it in early Nov, and was told it came in late Oct. Saved one to age.

A- Sandy colored decently sized head, for the ABV, sits atop a beautifully defined aurburn, the way a very worn football looks. I could swear that a two thirds of the way through this beer, the spider web like lacing spelled out my name.

S- At first the nose fills with malt character, then is quickly replaced by ethers and grapefruit/ mango hop notes.

T The anticipation and sheer complexity of this beer makes me proceed this tasting with a fine-toothed comb. The first and most lingering note is the hop flavor. It can be broken down into several invidual distinctions: Blood orange, mango, grapefruit and the type of orange you find in diner fruit salads(only way to describe it). This is all laid on a menagerie of distinct malt flavors, that are present in most of dogfishhead's big IPAs. A barly wine/congac type of warmth radiates through you after drinking this, which is the only indication of a high ABV.

M- It hides the ABV very well, but for 10 bucks a 12 oz, i cant imagine it sneaking up on you. Its smooth and meant to be sipped as slow as she can go. It is bitter, but is not overpowering.

O This is the top tier of beer-dom. Its not meant to be reached without climbing the ladder. You can purchase this, review it, and give it a score, but i somehow feel that this beer is judging you. The people at DFH know what theyre doing, and judging by their recent delay of the 2011 120min IPA (because they didnt think it was up to par), I can safely say that they know when they have made the best IPA around (and never settle on less than perfect) The burden of judgement lies not upon them, but on you. When you reach the point that this becomes the grail for you, perhaps you can safely say that you have the ability to judge what a masterpiece this beer really is.

Note: This ruins all other beers.

11-12-2011 10:44:13 | More by rodney45
hopheadsal

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Nose on the beer is increadible. Smells like fresh hops! Thouroughly enjoyed kicking back and sipping out of a snifter. The taste was exceptional, very fresh with little after taste. Very well balanced, the high alcohol content does not effect the taste of the beer.

05-31-2008 01:46:25 | More by hopheadsal
orcasteve

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

pours cloudy and orange almost like an octoberfest, the sent is one of hops and rubbing alcohol, this one is no joke, the first sip shocks your system as to how much hop can be squesed into one glass, this one isent for the faint of hart, the start is hops the middle screams of hops and the finish is a freight train of hops and alcohol, the one i have is a bit green i will get one and maby crack it in about 10 or 12 years from now i think it will mello and sweeten in time, thank hevens for beers this good

07-03-2008 14:08:29 | More by orcasteve
Blitzstyle

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Got this at Dunedin House of Beer and poured it into a sniffer. Thick head that dissapates quickly, orange/amber in color, some laceing on the glass when swirlled.

Wow Wow Wow. What a awesome smell. I get cirus aromas big time. Also the alcohol is picked up easilly and some pine notes that are a bit more sudel. You can also pick up the sweetness of the malts used to brew this beast!

Damn I died and whent to hop heaven. What a killer taste. Surprisingly sweet when sipped quickly and hugely bitter the longer you keep it in your mouth. Just awesome well worth the 12 dollar price I could sip on this all night!
Very thick almost syrup like. Its quite balanced the sweetness/hops/alcohol wow!

10-20-2009 13:51:09 | More by Blitzstyle