Follow our progress ...

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,215 | Ratings: 7,871

It's already been said in several reviews. This is this best beer I have ever had. It's a big beer though, so sip and enjoy. Someone said they had three. I would love to, but one is my limit then I drop down to the 90 min. Pour in a nice glass, marvel at the color and aroma. Take a sip and relish. You're probably drinking the best beer you'll ever have.

On-tap at the Rehoboth Beach brewpub.

I felt damn lucky to try this beer for the first time right after my tour of the DFH brewery. I headed to the beach, and this amazing beer was waiting on me!

A: The beer shows up in a tulip glass, with a coppery/caramel color. A little swirling revealed minimal, sticky lacing.

S: Wow! Just a mixture of sweetness, a little bit of citrusy and piny hops, way less alcohol on the nose than I expected. Smelled fantastic!

T: Damn! A first sip brings this rush of flavor to my tongue. Citrusy hops, some pine, and an almost honey-like sweetness. A malty and hoppy mix of magic. Very warming, a little alcohol bite on the finish. Got even better as it warmed a little.

M: Thick and sticky. Practically coats all it touches, but goes down smoothly.

O: A big, tasty explosion of flavors, great as a sipper to be enjoyed over the course of an hour or so. One of my all-time favorites.

All beers should strive to be this delicious. From beginning to end is a non stop pleasure. My only negative is that I can only get one at a time no matter how hard I look. I'm not sure how the bros only gave it a 95. My top beers are all 100 by the bros except this one which I give a solid 100.

It has been a while since I have found a five but this is it. Pours with a three-finger, bubbly cream head that fades slowly and leaves a nice lace. Cloudy amber color. Good carbonation. Nose is sweet, gingery, malty. Starts with a perfect mix of malt and hops and finishes smooth and sweet NOT a session beer . . . savor this beer . . . their site has this at 20% ABV. Medium bodied. This is the best IPA brewed in the States. Worth $7.99 for a 12oz bottle from Tully's Beer and Wine Wells, Me

Appearance: Copper-orange, with no head or lacework. Looks like my latest batch of homebrew in that respect.

Smell: Fantastic bouquet. The hops are, oddly, not as assertively floral as I would have anticipated. But they're definitely present in a piney, citrusy way. Strong malt aroma as well. Very sweet, almost like brownie dough. Rum and butter notes as well. Quite possibly one of the best *smelling* beers I've ever had.

Taste: Oh my freakin' gawd. Absolutely fantastic flavor. I think I have a new favorite beer. Sweet, malty beginning, very much like a barleywine. Hints of molasses and toffee in the foreground. Mid-palate sees an explosion of ale fruity-ness, with peaches, currants, and chocolate. The finish lingers with buttery rum notes, also some vanilla. The alcohol is well-hidden and doesn't leave a heavy burn.

Mouthfeel: Outstanding. Very small-bead carbonation. Just enough carbonation to give it texture and make it interesting.

Drinkability: This beer is dangerously, deceptively drinkable. It doesn't feel at all like a 40 proof beer. You won't be drinking more than two or MAYBE three of these in a sitting, but individually they drink like lesser beers. You'll have it drained before you know it, and it'll catch up with you.

Perfection!!! Took me over a year to finally obtain. But it was definitely worth the wait and every penny of the $12 I paid. One of the best tasting beers I've ever had. Still can't believe that it's 18 % ABV. Disappointed that the Liquor Store limits the quantity to 1 bottle and that's only for elite customers.

I had this on Tap on IPA Day at Congregation! My First 18% IPA... all i can say is wow!! Had 3 of these. It took a little to get use to but after that it was soo soo smooth!

What I am reviewing here is a 2011 bottle of 120 Minute IPA. As I rate it a 5 across the board, I will tell you that two years I let this age, it will benefit from a few more. At that point, I would love to go higher if possible. Perhaps I am rating this on potential or the fact it is just an awesome beer already that is only going to get much better. I fortunately have one more in the cellar, so time will tell. If you are not tight with a great beer rep, seller, store etc by now, befriend one soon so you can get ahold of some brews like this. They are very limited and very expensive, but almost always worth it. This one was VERY worthy of the $11 price I paid for the 12 oz. bottle. Plus the two agonizing years of waiting. It IS that good.

Color was hazy, burnt-orange
Nose of boozy, malty-bread, figs
Taste of booze, malt, figs, vanilla, bourbon
Mouthfeel is creamy, oily, awesomeness

If you have one now wait. If you have two, drink one and wait for the other. It is not your everyday IPA. AT ALL! It is more like a superior Barleywine with a hop presence. Any way you slice it, it's awesome.

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

5's all around on this one. Incredibly high ABV without tasting like booze. Crisp clean and refreshing. Be careful with this one because it is very drinkable with 18% alchohol

If I was stranded on an island and I could only bring an endless supply of one type of beer with me, this would be the one. I do believe this is the greatest beer I've ever drank in my life. The flavor is awesome and the feeling I get from one is generally clean and positive. I think that sounds strange, but I believe it to be true. Every time I drink this beer I feel happy, whereas with some other beers (not all, of course) it can be quite the opposite.

I wish this beer was a person so I could be good friends with it.

Specifically the 2014 release was nothing short of MASTERFUL. HOWEVER the 2016 did not show up the same. 2016 release of the 120 was sweet and a pale comparison of the 2014.

Ok, this beer has lived up to expectations on taste, as so many that i have sought out have not. About 20% it had a bite of alcohol but not as harsh as you would expect. Aroma would wonderful, a very mild fresh hops. Not overwhelming. Mouth feel was a little heavier than a normal IPA, but again strong and aged likely were the thanks to that.

I was lucky enough to share a bottle with a good brew buddy that had been aging it for a year or more. So I don't know how much that change the flavor profile.
Cheers to you Dogfish

This isn't a regular review. I love this beer, and I only finished my second bottle.

About a year ago, I had this for my first time. Today my second. This review encompasses both experiences.

When I first saw this brew on a shelf of a local store, I was astonished. Without hesitation I picked it up. Got home, warmed up the tub, and opened up a Rolling Stone. Glass poured, I was blown away by the pleasant warmth, sweetness, fermentation, colour, scent, and simply appreciated this fine beverage. It was so good you'd think it'd be gone in 15 minutes, but the beverage satisfies, it lingers on your tongue, it was sipped for the course of a couple hours. Feeling good, having a cigarette, listening to classic rock, this was a beer to make you a king.

I tried it again today and really paid no attention to it besides simply enjoying it, yet again, for a couple of hours. This really is, the best beer I have ever had.

What can be said about this legendary brew that has not already? Got a pour at the Dogfish Head Brewery on Milton, DA and, by god, the experience was pure indulgence! From the abundant bouquet of sweet hops, pine and flowers to the well rounded, spirit like taste and mouthful to match - truly one of the best, if not "THE BEST" beers I've ever had the privilege of tasting!

So glad I got some to bring home.

2011 vintage, courtesy of Gerard from Coalhouse Pizza in Stamford, CT (no they don't have any left)

Pours a dark gold/amber, amber in the middle, gold towards the edges. Not much head, just a bit of lacing around the edges. Aroma has sweet malt and yeast, almost like a barleywine, with a ton of hops. Lots of hops. While it certainly looks and smells great, they can't quite match the flavor of the beer.

The taste is massive. The malt is so thick that it feels like syrup, and the taste is so sweet that it is similar. The malt is extraordinarily strong and sweet, balancing out the massive quantity of hops. The hops are dense, they don't stand out as much as they might in lesser quantities, like the brewery's 60 and 90 minute IPAs, rather the whole beer stands as a massive, monolith of malt and hops. The malt is more prominent than any other IPAs that I have had, but the hops are so powerful that the sweetness seems necessary to balance out the bitterness. I don't really get a bitter flavor from the hops, rather the sweetness of the hops shines through.

The flavor is so thick and intense that it is difficult to describe in conventional terms or in comparison to other beers. It isn't the lone overload of hops that many other big IPAs are, but for a beer this strong, it is the monolith of flavor that it must be to have everything about it be this big. Bottom line is that it is really malt-heavy, but the overall flavor is just massive, malt and hops and yeast. The mouthfeel is extremely sweet, the aftertaste lasts a long time and it feels like the beer is still there minutes later.

This is an exceptional beer, perhaps the best I have ever had. For a flavor-intense style, nothing matches it.

A- Hazy copper copper brown, with super thin, barely existent white head

S- First smell is alcohol burn in the nose, pine, citrus, caramel

T- Definitely a sipper. Sweet. Piney, and caramel

M- Viscous. No carbonation. Full body. Leaves a puckering from the booze, sweetness and bitterness.

O- an excellent beer. Extreme flavors that work together

As you can tell, I enjoyed this one. The bottle was a little over a year old. Almost no hop flavor or aroma. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Flavor was fruity, but not cloying. As Sam describes it, marmalade-y. It makes you want to keep going back for another sip, and since the alcohol is well hidden on aged bottles, watch out. It hit me like a ton of bricks lol.

A true triumph of brewing. Not much else must but said, except for that this beer is of course ideal in draft form in the very very deep dark of a december-feb/march night. It's strong. Be sparing.

With this high alcohol content you would think it would be to much, but oh how it's not. If I hear about this beer being on tap in Dallas, I'm there for the tapping. I love this beer. It pours with a small head but deep caramel color and it just tastes incredible. I also just bought a 4 pack and am aging them at different intervals. I hope everyone can try this beer.

I finally decided it was time to crack this one open. I tried this beer once before, but that was before I became a BA. I credit this beer with enlightening me as to what beer could be and getting me into reviewing and sampling different beers. Well enough reminiscing...

Emptied bottle into oversized wine glass producing a fingers worth of light beige head that receded but never completely. Had a nice glowing orangish amber color to it with carbonation visible and left a fine lace all the way down the glass from the extremely tiny bubbles. Amazing sweet smell of white grape juice and figs. Sweet tastes of honey and maybe a little raisin or fig in there as well. This beer feels like it's just melting in you're mouth with all of the fine carbonation. I didn't even notice the hops at all until the end where I detected a mild hop bitterness. I don't know how they hide the huge amount of alcohol in this, maybe the sweetness masks some of it. Just as awesome as the first time I sampled this one, truly a great beer but not for the faint of heart and to be enjoyed single serving. Still don't understand how they can call this a double IPA it reminds me more of barleywine, I guess I don't care what they call it it's simply just an awesome brew.

I have had the luck. Ok let me emphasize. I have had the LUCK to drink this beer in 3 different ways.
Ok just to get this off the plate , I have had the 60 the 90 andother varieties at Allendale Bar and grille dogfish head tap,off. I am a fan of dogfish head, troeggs and founders. plus many others.
OK hjere we go 120 3 diff. ways:
1. 2015 bottle. - HOP HOP HOP. Yes the alcohol is there, the HOP is here more than the malt. the Booze is there.WOW. IMHO all the effort is to make it is worth it!

2. on TAP !!! yes holy spit!!! family vacation . August 2015. newport rhode island.
had a great dinner. convinced my wife and daughter... Umm can Dad go top a bar he found on the IPAD? its called POUR JUDGEMENT , newport RI.
walk in , beers selection on chalkboard grate atmosphere, my kind of atmosphere, rustic wood everywhere, very.New England bartender hands me the beer list.
what do i see??? R U serious? yes he says.
no kidding>??? on my vacation? YES he says.
I said to heck with the list . MAY I AHVE SOME, PLEASE?
he sees how seriosly I am about this.. I told hime it was like I had a lottery rub out and I scratched off a 500 winner!!
I was so floored i took a pic with him pouring me 1. still have the pics !!
he poured me more than 8 oz because I told him if this was back at home he would be empty in under 4 hours.
My wife was like. yes he's serious. my kikd just wanted to go home LOL!
"pleasae just let Daddy have this !! I told her....
the taste was insane of course. Being in the moment and having the brew, in the guy,Dad world was awsome.
On TAP..... Cant beat it.

3. today I opened my ONLY 2012 Bottle.
No HOp left.
All malt, and like barleywine aa in other reviews.
but the recipie is still there.
I have NEVER had 3 year old beer until tonight.
yes the booze is there. I am treating it like a cognac. like a last drink of the night.

I am 1 lucky DAD to have the honor of having this beer 3 different ways.

I am thankful for my family and friends this 2015 thanksgiving.
and this is my review.
Thank you.

Absolutely the best tasting beer I have ever had. It is absolutely the hoppiest beer I have ever had. It walks in at a delicious and deadly 18%+. 36 proof beer. I now see why it costs $10 a bottle. It has to be one of the best large extreme beers there are. Every time I can find 120 I will be grabbing some for the vintage closet.

This beer is like the Wu Tang Clan. It ain't nuthin to %#$& with. The boundaries of hops and alcohol are pushed to the limit. I understand that this brew is not for everyone. I enjoyed the experience. It did take me a couple hours to drink a 12 oz bottle. Open it up, have a sip. Have several sips with a good dinner. A few more as you watch the sun set. Not an everyday beer - for special occasions, or to make an ordinary occasion special. Peace.

4.99/5  rDev +26%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. 2012 bottle aged about 6 months.

A - Pours a deep gold, almost amber, with a wispy, 1/2 finger head. (Pretty much as expected for an 18%'er) That said, the head maintained at least some presence all the way until the end of the glass. No lacing to speak of.

S - Immensely powerful aroma of freshly made toffee, sticky sweet breads, fusel alcohols which smell a little like magic marker, and an herbal/botanical blend. Smells closer to a barleywine or an old ale than a DIPA, but also totally unique.

T - Surprisingly, a candied sugar maltiness kicks things off in the form of pineapple, mango and orange marmalade, followed by HUGE hops of pine and some bitter grapefruit. Vinous white wine grape esters swirl about. Minty hop bite in the finish. The whole thing is drenched in booze, but I mean that in a good way as it's not at all "hot" on the tongue. ALL the flavors here jacked up to 11 and extremely rich. Some similarities to a good port wine. Man, this is amazing. Is there a way to rate something a 10?

M - Surprisingly delicate bodied, and slightly slick/sticky. Just enough carbonation to tickle the palate. Pretty spot on. Between the booze and the richness, the smallness of the sips I found myself taking while drinking this borders on the ridiculous.

O -Freaking amazing. Unique and complex. Too extreme? If your a wuss, maybe. If not, you can totally lose yourself in the depths of this powerful boozy beast. Yes, it's intense. Yes, the flavors can be jarring, and it might not be the most balanced beer available. That said...may I have another?

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery