Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Wants: 1,316
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,144 | Hads: 7,514

On-tap at the Rehoboth Beach brewpub.

I felt damn lucky to try this beer for the first time right after my tour of the DFH brewery. I headed to the beach, and this amazing beer was waiting on me!

A: The beer shows up in a tulip glass, with a coppery/caramel color. A little swirling revealed minimal, sticky lacing.

S: Wow! Just a mixture of sweetness, a little bit of citrusy and piny hops, way less alcohol on the nose than I expected. Smelled fantastic!

T: Damn! A first sip brings this rush of flavor to my tongue. Citrusy hops, some pine, and an almost honey-like sweetness. A malty and hoppy mix of magic. Very warming, a little alcohol bite on the finish. Got even better as it warmed a little.

M: Thick and sticky. Practically coats all it touches, but goes down smoothly.

O: A big, tasty explosion of flavors, great as a sipper to be enjoyed over the course of an hour or so. One of my all-time favorites.

All beers should strive to be this delicious. From beginning to end is a non stop pleasure. My only negative is that I can only get one at a time no matter how hard I look. I'm not sure how the bros only gave it a 95. My top beers are all 100 by the bros except this one which I give a solid 100.

It has been a while since I have found a five but this is it. Pours with a three-finger, bubbly cream head that fades slowly and leaves a nice lace. Cloudy amber color. Good carbonation. Nose is sweet, gingery, malty. Starts with a perfect mix of malt and hops and finishes smooth and sweet NOT a session beer . . . savor this beer . . . their site has this at 20% ABV. Medium bodied. This is the best IPA brewed in the States. Worth $7.99 for a 12oz bottle from Tully's Beer and Wine Wells, Me

Appearance: Copper-orange, with no head or lacework. Looks like my latest batch of homebrew in that respect.

Smell: Fantastic bouquet. The hops are, oddly, not as assertively floral as I would have anticipated. But they're definitely present in a piney, citrusy way. Strong malt aroma as well. Very sweet, almost like brownie dough. Rum and butter notes as well. Quite possibly one of the best *smelling* beers I've ever had.

Taste: Oh my freakin' gawd. Absolutely fantastic flavor. I think I have a new favorite beer. Sweet, malty beginning, very much like a barleywine. Hints of molasses and toffee in the foreground. Mid-palate sees an explosion of ale fruity-ness, with peaches, currants, and chocolate. The finish lingers with buttery rum notes, also some vanilla. The alcohol is well-hidden and doesn't leave a heavy burn.

Mouthfeel: Outstanding. Very small-bead carbonation. Just enough carbonation to give it texture and make it interesting.

Drinkability: This beer is dangerously, deceptively drinkable. It doesn't feel at all like a 40 proof beer. You won't be drinking more than two or MAYBE three of these in a sitting, but individually they drink like lesser beers. You'll have it drained before you know it, and it'll catch up with you.

Perfection!!! Took me over a year to finally obtain. But it was definitely worth the wait and every penny of the $12 I paid. One of the best tasting beers I've ever had. Still can't believe that it's 18 % ABV. Disappointed that the Liquor Store limits the quantity to 1 bottle and that's only for elite customers.

Deliciously stunning and out of this world! It's a heavenly taste that becomes engrained in the palate's memory and one which it will yearn for. I enjoyed and shared this beer while watching a beautiful summer sunset. The beer's bright golden/orange color blended beautifully with the changing sky. As I said, I shared this beer and even half of it got me quite buzzed. This is because the alcohol content is so strong; if you are looking for a beautiful high this is the beer for you. The hops aroma and taste is intense yet it achieves for me a perfect balance with delicious syrupy and caramel like malt sweetness. One of the few beers I can give a 5 to. Quite possibly perfect. We're it not so expensive ($10+ per bottle) my fridge would be stacked with these beauties!

I had this on Tap on IPA Day at Congregation! My First 18% IPA... all i can say is wow!! Had 3 of these. It took a little to get use to but after that it was soo soo smooth!

What I am reviewing here is a 2011 bottle of 120 Minute IPA. As I rate it a 5 across the board, I will tell you that two years I let this age, it will benefit from a few more. At that point, I would love to go higher if possible. Perhaps I am rating this on potential or the fact it is just an awesome beer already that is only going to get much better. I fortunately have one more in the cellar, so time will tell. If you are not tight with a great beer rep, seller, store etc by now, befriend one soon so you can get ahold of some brews like this. They are very limited and very expensive, but almost always worth it. This one was VERY worthy of the $11 price I paid for the 12 oz. bottle. Plus the two agonizing years of waiting. It IS that good.

Color was hazy, burnt-orange
Nose of boozy, malty-bread, figs
Taste of booze, malt, figs, vanilla, bourbon
Mouthfeel is creamy, oily, awesomeness

If you have one now wait. If you have two, drink one and wait for the other. It is not your everyday IPA. AT ALL! It is more like a superior Barleywine with a hop presence. Any way you slice it, it's awesome.

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

5's all around on this one. Incredibly high ABV without tasting like booze. Crisp clean and refreshing. Be careful with this one because it is very drinkable with 18% alchohol

If I was stranded on an island and I could only bring an endless supply of one type of beer with me, this would be the one. I do believe this is the greatest beer I've ever drank in my life. The flavor is awesome and the feeling I get from one is generally clean and positive. I think that sounds strange, but I believe it to be true. Every time I drink this beer I feel happy, whereas with some other beers (not all, of course) it can be quite the opposite.

I wish this beer was a person so I could be good friends with it.

Ok, this beer has lived up to expectations on taste, as so many that i have sought out have not. About 20% it had a bite of alcohol but not as harsh as you would expect. Aroma would wonderful, a very mild fresh hops. Not overwhelming. Mouth feel was a little heavier than a normal IPA, but again strong and aged likely were the thanks to that.

I was lucky enough to share a bottle with a good brew buddy that had been aging it for a year or more. So I don't know how much that change the flavor profile.
Cheers to you Dogfish

This isn't a regular review. I love this beer, and I only finished my second bottle.

About a year ago, I had this for my first time. Today my second. This review encompasses both experiences.

When I first saw this brew on a shelf of a local store, I was astonished. Without hesitation I picked it up. Got home, warmed up the tub, and opened up a Rolling Stone. Glass poured, I was blown away by the pleasant warmth, sweetness, fermentation, colour, scent, and simply appreciated this fine beverage. It was so good you'd think it'd be gone in 15 minutes, but the beverage satisfies, it lingers on your tongue, it was sipped for the course of a couple hours. Feeling good, having a cigarette, listening to classic rock, this was a beer to make you a king.

I tried it again today and really paid no attention to it besides simply enjoying it, yet again, for a couple of hours. This really is, the best beer I have ever had.

What can be said about this legendary brew that has not already? Got a pour at the Dogfish Head Brewery on Milton, DA and, by god, the experience was pure indulgence! From the abundant bouquet of sweet hops, pine and flowers to the well rounded, spirit like taste and mouthful to match - truly one of the best, if not "THE BEST" beers I've ever had the privilege of tasting!

So glad I got some to bring home.

2011 vintage, courtesy of Gerard from Coalhouse Pizza in Stamford, CT (no they don't have any left)

Pours a dark gold/amber, amber in the middle, gold towards the edges. Not much head, just a bit of lacing around the edges. Aroma has sweet malt and yeast, almost like a barleywine, with a ton of hops. Lots of hops. While it certainly looks and smells great, they can't quite match the flavor of the beer.

The taste is massive. The malt is so thick that it feels like syrup, and the taste is so sweet that it is similar. The malt is extraordinarily strong and sweet, balancing out the massive quantity of hops. The hops are dense, they don't stand out as much as they might in lesser quantities, like the brewery's 60 and 90 minute IPAs, rather the whole beer stands as a massive, monolith of malt and hops. The malt is more prominent than any other IPAs that I have had, but the hops are so powerful that the sweetness seems necessary to balance out the bitterness. I don't really get a bitter flavor from the hops, rather the sweetness of the hops shines through.

The flavor is so thick and intense that it is difficult to describe in conventional terms or in comparison to other beers. It isn't the lone overload of hops that many other big IPAs are, but for a beer this strong, it is the monolith of flavor that it must be to have everything about it be this big. Bottom line is that it is really malt-heavy, but the overall flavor is just massive, malt and hops and yeast. The mouthfeel is extremely sweet, the aftertaste lasts a long time and it feels like the beer is still there minutes later.

This is an exceptional beer, perhaps the best I have ever had. For a flavor-intense style, nothing matches it.

A- Hazy copper copper brown, with super thin, barely existent white head

S- First smell is alcohol burn in the nose, pine, citrus, caramel

T- Definitely a sipper. Sweet. Piney, and caramel

M- Viscous. No carbonation. Full body. Leaves a puckering from the booze, sweetness and bitterness.

O- an excellent beer. Extreme flavors that work together

As you can tell, I enjoyed this one. The bottle was a little over a year old. Almost no hop flavor or aroma. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Flavor was fruity, but not cloying. As Sam describes it, marmalade-y. It makes you want to keep going back for another sip, and since the alcohol is well hidden on aged bottles, watch out. It hit me like a ton of bricks lol.

With this high alcohol content you would think it would be to much, but oh how it's not. If I hear about this beer being on tap in Dallas, I'm there for the tapping. I love this beer. It pours with a small head but deep caramel color and it just tastes incredible. I also just bought a 4 pack and am aging them at different intervals. I hope everyone can try this beer.

I finally decided it was time to crack this one open. I tried this beer once before, but that was before I became a BA. I credit this beer with enlightening me as to what beer could be and getting me into reviewing and sampling different beers. Well enough reminiscing...

Emptied bottle into oversized wine glass producing a fingers worth of light beige head that receded but never completely. Had a nice glowing orangish amber color to it with carbonation visible and left a fine lace all the way down the glass from the extremely tiny bubbles. Amazing sweet smell of white grape juice and figs. Sweet tastes of honey and maybe a little raisin or fig in there as well. This beer feels like it's just melting in you're mouth with all of the fine carbonation. I didn't even notice the hops at all until the end where I detected a mild hop bitterness. I don't know how they hide the huge amount of alcohol in this, maybe the sweetness masks some of it. Just as awesome as the first time I sampled this one, truly a great beer but not for the faint of heart and to be enjoyed single serving. Still don't understand how they can call this a double IPA it reminds me more of barleywine, I guess I don't care what they call it it's simply just an awesome brew.

Absolutely the best tasting beer I have ever had. It is absolutely the hoppiest beer I have ever had. It walks in at a delicious and deadly 18%+. 36 proof beer. I now see why it costs $10 a bottle. It has to be one of the best large extreme beers there are. Every time I can find 120 I will be grabbing some for the vintage closet.

4.99/5  rDev +26.3%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. 2012 bottle aged about 6 months.

A - Pours a deep gold, almost amber, with a wispy, 1/2 finger head. (Pretty much as expected for an 18%'er) That said, the head maintained at least some presence all the way until the end of the glass. No lacing to speak of.

S - Immensely powerful aroma of freshly made toffee, sticky sweet breads, fusel alcohols which smell a little like magic marker, and an herbal/botanical blend. Smells closer to a barleywine or an old ale than a DIPA, but also totally unique.

T - Surprisingly, a candied sugar maltiness kicks things off in the form of pineapple, mango and orange marmalade, followed by HUGE hops of pine and some bitter grapefruit. Vinous white wine grape esters swirl about. Minty hop bite in the finish. The whole thing is drenched in booze, but I mean that in a good way as it's not at all "hot" on the tongue. ALL the flavors here jacked up to 11 and extremely rich. Some similarities to a good port wine. Man, this is amazing. Is there a way to rate something a 10?

M - Surprisingly delicate bodied, and slightly slick/sticky. Just enough carbonation to tickle the palate. Pretty spot on. Between the booze and the richness, the smallness of the sips I found myself taking while drinking this borders on the ridiculous.

O -Freaking amazing. Unique and complex. Too extreme? If your a wuss, maybe. If not, you can totally lose yourself in the depths of this powerful boozy beast. Yes, it's intense. Yes, the flavors can be jarring, and it might not be the most balanced beer available. That said...may I have another?

4.98/5  rDev +26.1%

The aroma of thesis beer hits you as soon as you open the bottle. Poured into a chilled glass it built a thick head. Deep ambur in color. Slight cloud. Very clean sip. Start out mild but builds very quickly. Strong caramel sweetness with a citrus note. The scents and flavors compliment really well. Definitely use a food ipa glass. The alcohol content is a bit high for my taste but the overall deliciousness of the beer overtakes any negative. If you're a hops fan this is a must try!!

4.98/5  rDev +26.1%

A - Pours a dark golden Amber honey and orange. Forms a finger of quickly dissipating yellow-tan head.
S - Sweet hops, oranges, peaches, grapefruit, mango, bourbon, brown sugar, vanilla, caramel and tons of alcohol on the nose of this brew.
T - Tons of sweet alcohol and peach upfront, this fades into a chest-warming bourbon, caramel, vanilla and brown sugar. Tons of alcohol.
O - A one of a kind IPA. This is both a drink and a life experience. And should only be tried by those who are IPA veterans. Nothing else like it in the world.
V - Very expensive, almost 10 dollars for a single bottle.

4.97/5  rDev +25.8%

Bottle neck stamped 2011 106 1 (maybe the day of the year and batch number?). Poured into a Duvel snifter.

Appearance - Clear amber body. Small pancake batter head with decent stick.

Smell - Very hoppy and malty. Smell keeps changing. Coffee after a few minutes. Alcohol.

Taste - Extreme complexity, beyond almost any beer I've had before. No off flavors. Definite world class beer. Perfect balance and extremity all in one.

Mouthfeel - Very warm. Full bodied. Freels almost irrelevant since the taste is so all-consuming. But very pleasant.

Overall Drinkability - Insane complexity and a lack of off-flavors make this what I consider a perfect beer.

4.97/5  rDev +25.8%

Note: This is the late 2011 batch of this beer. Im trying it in early Nov, and was told it came in late Oct. Saved one to age.

A- Sandy colored decently sized head, for the ABV, sits atop a beautifully defined aurburn, the way a very worn football looks. I could swear that a two thirds of the way through this beer, the spider web like lacing spelled out my name.

S- At first the nose fills with malt character, then is quickly replaced by ethers and grapefruit/ mango hop notes.

T The anticipation and sheer complexity of this beer makes me proceed this tasting with a fine-toothed comb. The first and most lingering note is the hop flavor. It can be broken down into several invidual distinctions: Blood orange, mango, grapefruit and the type of orange you find in diner fruit salads(only way to describe it). This is all laid on a menagerie of distinct malt flavors, that are present in most of dogfishhead's big IPAs. A barly wine/congac type of warmth radiates through you after drinking this, which is the only indication of a high ABV.

M- It hides the ABV very well, but for 10 bucks a 12 oz, i cant imagine it sneaking up on you. Its smooth and meant to be sipped as slow as she can go. It is bitter, but is not overpowering.

O This is the top tier of beer-dom. Its not meant to be reached without climbing the ladder. You can purchase this, review it, and give it a score, but i somehow feel that this beer is judging you. The people at DFH know what theyre doing, and judging by their recent delay of the 2011 120min IPA (because they didnt think it was up to par), I can safely say that they know when they have made the best IPA around (and never settle on less than perfect) The burden of judgement lies not upon them, but on you. When you reach the point that this becomes the grail for you, perhaps you can safely say that you have the ability to judge what a masterpiece this beer really is.

Note: This ruins all other beers.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery