Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,185 | Ratings: 7,765
3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

So sweet! Truly surprised by this one. Had on tap at the brewery and boy was I surprised. As the yeast gorge themselves on the massive amount of sugar, they are unable to process it all and are thus left with not only a high alcohol content but also a powerful sweetness. But even this sweetness cannot outpace the bouquet of hops present in this extravagantly hopped beer. With an extremely high price tag, this is not one for the light of heart. If you love extreme IPAs then you will love this beer.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

A- Poured into a 6oz pilsner-style sampler glass, showing a hazy straw-yellow complexion with a glint of green around the edges. A low bit of fizzy eggshell head that dissipates like a sparkling wine. Otherwise, not a lot of visible carbonation.

S- Aroma carries ample amounts of dried drupe fruits (mostly apricot) and a bit of tart red apple skin. There seems to be a whiff of musky grape character, not unlike a riesling. There's really almost no indication of the extremely high alcohol content in the nose at this temperature, but perhaps that will change.

T- A rush of mouth-wateringly sweet dried/candied fruit opens up the palate, followed by passing notes of German dessert wine and floral booziness. The sweetness is thick enough to hide much of the alcohol (or at least relegate it to a painless flash of warmth), and I am unsure as to whether or not I like it that way. I really don't taste much hop character here at all... I'm sure three months on the shelf rolled off a portion of the hop character but I have trouble believing that it was ever all that much hoppier than this. If there is any bitterness at all here, it is unfortunately lost to the overwhelming white raisin-y dextrins that dominate this beer. Fortunately, the saccharine overload is relatively brief, and a very pleasant dry sweetness of apple rind finishes off the palate.

M- The mouthfeel is quite thick, though surprisingly dry for the amount of sugar present. As mentioned before, the carbonation is adequate in moving the palate along and bringing about a pleasant finish, but the beer also retains a reasonable amount of 'chew' for those of us treating this vino-typical brew as a wine.

O- I'm glad to have had the opportunity to snag a few of these just to see what the fuss was about, but I don't think this was the beer for me. A very interesting piece of work to sip on, but the flavors here were just too out of balance and overpoweringly sweet to be able to enjoy any more than 6oz or so of this at a time. I understand how difficult it must be to tame a beast of this high alcohol content while juggling the unusual technique of 120 minutes of hopping during a boil, but the impressiveness of the feat doesn't quite make up for the lack of finesse that the brew carries.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

This beer is intense. The pour is a hazy gold/orange, and it laces quite well. At first I couldn't even deal with the aroma. It was so intense that I really had to let this breathe and have an opportunity to really open up. Nose is all about the hops. Pure concentrated hop juice. Citrus oils and solvents are upfront, huge bread crust malts follow, with all I can describe as hop fuel. it is really just hops all the way, and not in a way I have encountered before. Upon first taste, I was unprepared for the experience, and let the beer sit for a while longer. I poured a 4 oz sample, and that was more than enough at first. Straight up hops, tonnes of citric pithy flavours, some fuesel components, orangey malts, very alcoholic. The hops here are an all out pine blast. Like eating pure pine needle extract. This is so intense that I had to drink it over 2 days, 3 servings. This is a boozey hop fest in the mouth. Not for the beginner or faint of heart. This is a sipper, and I think this one should be aged for a few years to really let the intensity become a bit more well rounded. Overall, it has huge alcoholic and pine notes in the finish, syrupy and sweet. An experience I will remember for sure. A good beer, but perhaps a little too intense for everyday enjoyment. Certainly a treat! Thanks again Eric!

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

This is the first time I’ve ever had citrus flavored moonshine. Immediately upon opening the bottle, I caught the overwhelming scent of alcohol. While pouring, citrus hops were present, but still muted by the alcohol. The flavor was a good mix of bitter citrus hops and malty sweetness, again, surrounded by alcohol. As I was drinkling this, my eyes actually started to water from the intnese wafting of the grain alcohol. Finish was good, but again moved to the back seat by, you guessed it..the alcohol.

This actually was not bad, especially considering it is 21% abv, but just much stronger than I normally care for in a beer. The next time I think about having a DFH 120, I’ll just move right to the Everclear instead.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours golden amber, with a minimal amount of white head. A very sweet and boozy aroma, with maybe a touch of floral hoppiness. On the palate, I get sweet honey malt, apricots, a bit of citrus and alcohol. Very syrupy and sweet, the hops are nowhere near enough to balance this one out. A somewhat one dimensional beer, not for everyday drinking.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Not the best looking DIPA I've seen. Looked like a weaker, thicker version of some of the better DIPA's. An amber look to this beer with just a little bit of head and decent lacing.

S: INTENSE. I smell the alcohol right up front followed by a ton of hops . The alcohol definitely overwhelms the hops, but don't doubt that you'll smell the hops. Probably more hoppy than any beer I've ever smelled.

T: Honeslty, I tasted something that tasted like a shot of vodka in a barrel of hops. Very full bodied beer that also had a bit of a fruity pineapple taste. By the time I got to the end of it and it was a bit warmer, the tastes of grapefruit or some sort of dry fruit came out big time.

M: Syrupy! Left nice oils in your mouth. I couldn't get the hops taste out of my mouth for hours after I drank this beer. The oils and my love for hops gave this one a higher rating than most would give it.

D: Beer took me 3 hours to drink.. maybe a bit longer. I had to sip it like I was sipping a glass of scotch. Couldn't ever drink more than one of these at a time.. ever. Highly recommend it, and I have one put away to try again in a year or two to try and see the difference. Recommend that everyone try this one at least once.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

This review is from my notes.

I've wanted to try this one for a long time, but it's too strong for legal sale in NC. Many thanks to Sara for smuggling it in.

This beer tastes like a hopped up riesling: very sweet, with some pine notes and a mildly astringent hop effect. Malts are apparent.

The mouthfeel was the only problem with this beer. It left a pretty syrupy coating and aftertaste. At 21% this is not one for sessioning.

I would not stock my fridge with this beer, but highly recommend trying it at least once. It's a very interesting beer.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

after months of deliberating whether to buy this beer, I finally did it when there was only one left, I figured I had best do it while I could

A- pours an almost cloudy colored amber, low amount of white head, with great lacing

S- hop smell is present, but not as much as I would have thought, also a kind of out of place malt sweetness

T- strong hopped bite, accompanied by a lingering sweet bitterness

M-very thick, low carbonation, coats mouth and stays there for a while

d-whew, not all that easy to drink, tastes good, smells good, a fine beer, but it does not go down easy at all, took quite a while to finish, only had a 12 oz. bottle, cant imagine trying to finish one of the bombers like in the picture

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Had this after a DFH 60 minute and 90 minute IPA.

Bottled on 11/06/08. Reviewed on June 4 of the following year.

Pours a beautiful, rich copper with a fizzy, clingy head which dies down to a thin film and then dies down to nothing at all. Some lacing but nothing to write beer advocate about.

Smells like brandy and canned pears, maybe some apricot. For something that was supposedly dry hopped every day for a month I'm surprised how little hops I pick up in the nose. I just get sweet fruity booze. No bad thing. It smells good. Just not like any dry hopped Imperial IPA I've ever had before.

Holy estery esters of estrosity batman! Tastes like candied pears drizzled in brandy. Some bitterness. A super hit of dizzyingly warming alcohol with every sip. Fruity and boozy are the two words which best describe this. Almost more like a sweet mead than a beer.

Mouthfeel is full...and sticky. It kind of coats the tongue with sugar and numbs it with alcohol. I'm finding I need to sip some water in between sips of this. Yeah. This is a beer to savour slowly. Very slowly.

Alas, if this is the holy grail for hops heads that the label suggests then I did not choose wisely. Because, honestly, it's decidedly unhoppy. It's more than anything sugary. If it's in any way bitter it's far more cloying and the saccharine beats the bitterness by a longshot. And holy fuck is it ever alcoholic

American Double/Imperial IPA? Not really. A double imperial quadrupel india pale eisbock barley wine brewed with yeast that was on steroids....maybe. If beer is a social lubricant than this is more like a social anesthetic.

Sam Calagione is the devil. I mean that in a good way. I could see this beer being even better with some age because it sure kicked me in my ass, and I'd love to try it again after it mellows out a bit.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Light, transparent amber with bubbly white head. Aroma of booze, apples with cinnamon, and spices. Tastes of apples, booze, booze, and more booze, and some spices and caramel. Light-medium body and not that drinkable. Liquor characteristics such as alcoholic sweetness. Sips tastes like shots.

Got a gift of a 120 min from 2003, aged 8 years.
Deep orange with bubbly white head. Aroma of citrus, candied apples, pears, bubblegum. Citrus, apples, bubblegum, booze, slight hop echoes. Amazingly smooth and enjoyable. Syrupy mouthfeel and light carbonation. It's amazing what aging can do! The alcohol is tamed by tasty malt and becomes rather drinkable and enjoyable.

3.49/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle from the first batch this year.

Appearance- A strong amber with hints of anti-freeze translucence. The bubbles for this IPA are clearly slowed by the amount of alcohol mand malt sweetness visible in just the color. Some mediocre head, looks like any nromal, run-of-the-mill IPA.

Smell- Not at all like any IPA I've had before. Insanely sweet. Is there even hops in this??? Sweet caramel candied apples drizzled with Skol vodka. I thinks it's sort of cool because of the shot before you even taste the beer.

Taste- Starts with more Amaretto like swetness that quickly develops into a more malt intensity beer than hops. The flavor lets you know they added insane amounts of mlats and removed water to just boost the abv. But it is unique for its resiny sweet, toasty malts. Almost like biting into a caramel apple with two inches of caramel and only haalf of a whole apple in the center. This will be my relaxing nightcap beer.

Mouthfeel- An almost over bearing malt sweetness mixed with an alcoholic burn never felt before in any burn. These new sensations in this highly heralded IPA are very intriguing because they break the mold for any normal IPA. The bitterness is there, but only a little due to the crazy amounts of malkt. Drank like it was fine cognac.

Bottle dated 10/10/07

A- A really clear orange. Poured right down the center but not too much head on this. Only some white film and bubbles.

S- First thing that hits is an alcohol sting. But there is a huge fruity sweetness. Orangy.

T- Very fruity up front, finishes with a burnt sugar quality that reminds me so much of the burnt outer coating of a roasted marshmallow that has caught a bit on fire. As it warms up its just so amazingly sweet. I'm thinking the sweetness is really coming from the alcohol+hops and not so much underattenuated malt, although it could be some that.

M- at first there was a lot of fine carbonation in it, like minuscule bubbles. It's actually very good carbonation for the type of drink this is.

I thought I could only take my first 3 oz pour of it, since it was so sweet, but I've gone back for a 2nd pour. I really like this much better at fridge temp, cause when it warms up it gets way too sweet for me. But only wanting to drink about 6oz doesn't equate good drinkability to me, 21% ABV or not.

Bottled on 09/07/06.

Pours out a peach and orange hued honey color with a small head that settles to a thin layer of bubbles. A small, slow, single stream of bubbles comes from the center of the glass. When swirled, it leaves scattered spots of "lace." Smells of very strong and sharp hops; with aromas of pine piercing the most, as well as some citrus. Very grassy. Lots of alcohol is picked up, as well, and a general sweetness from the malt. First off in the taste is the hops: mostly citrus as opposed to all the grass and pine I got in the nose. The "greener" hop flavors come out as well, but the citrus is more pronounced. Not much bitterness at all, as this is ridiculously sweet. I get a little toastedness from the malts, but it's more just blaring sweetness. Alcohol comes through as well, but much less than I suspected. I get a slight twang in the finish, which I'm not sure about. There's a lingering vapor like presence of fruit loop-like hops in my mouth post-sip, which I like a lot. Mouthfeel is thick and viscous, but, considering that, I am very surprised that the carbonation manages to slightly prick: stopping this from being a mess in the mouth. Drinkability isn't so hot, at first, but once I become more tipsy, it goes down a bit quicker.

Not a great DIPA, but this is really in a different category entirely. And for what it is, it's good, but not stellar.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

12 oz bottle from Pearl Specialty Market and Liquor. Poured into a snifter. The last time I had this beer was 2+ years ago so when I saw it on the shelf, I decided I would give it another go.

A - Pours a clear, copper orange color with a one-finger white head. Head dissipates to leave a soapy ring around the glass. Small amount lacing.

S - Not as much hops as I was expecting (and hoping). It's really sweet and boozy. Lots of sweet maltiness, caramel and toffee. Some citrus and piney aromas from the hops play in. I also pick up the smell of honey.

T - Hello alcohol. To no surprise, the alcohol hits right off the bat and only seems to slightly mellow. The warmth from the alcohol can be felt through the entire sip. It's quite sweet as well. Sweet caramel and roasted malts come in along with lemon and orange notes. Again, the hops are drowned out. Not much bitterness.

M - Thick and syrupy. Minimal amount of carbonation. This is more like drinking a brandy or liqueur than a beer. A noticeable warmth from the alcohol but that is to be expected at 18% abv.

O - An interesting beer indeed. No doubt about it, it's a sipper. This drinks more like a brandy or liquer than a beer. As a DIPA, this doesn't hit the mark. But I don't think DFH's intention was to hit the mark. I really wished the hops played a bigger role in this beer. It was just a little sweet. However, as the beer warmed, I found it to be more enjoyable. I think some aging would do wonders for this beer. I'd say it's worth a try if you can get your hands on some.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into two small brandy snifters. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Bottled on 5/10/07.

A: Pours a relatively clear cherry-orange color. Tiny off-orange head that leaves not a trace of lace. Extremely still.

S: Big syrup-y sweet tropical fruit drenched in caramel sauce smell. Alcohol is quite aparent.

T: See above with the addition of marachino cherries drowned in chocolate.

M: Big and thick. Viscous and syrup-y. Spicy, sweet, and bitter finish.

D: Almost as if it's too big for it's own good. A noble effort that's just pretty hard to drink.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Wow... Absolutely overwhelming. I was very anxious to try this brew because I love the 60 and 90 minute IPA's but this cannot even be categorized with those beers. I guess I didn't know what to expect from a 21% beer, but I was at least expecting somewhat of an IPA taste. This tasted like a really strong, bitter, slightly carbonated wine. In my opinion, no resemblance whatsoever. I would probably have rated this beer higher if I knew what I was in for when I tried it for the first time. I would definitely say its worth picking up, but do not do so on the shear fact that you like 60 and 90 minutes as there is almost no similarities other than the name. If you like barley wines, definitely pick one up and try it. If you are a big IPA fan and are looking for a new imperial IPA to try, heads up, grab a bear republic, stone ruination, a 90 min, or something else. Only available in 12oz singles, my suggestion is that if you havn't had this yet, split it with one other person and/or pour it into a wine glass. The 25-27% ABV Sam Adams Utopias is normally poured in 2oz and this seems like beer that is best in small servings. I poured this into a pint glass and drank the whole thing and when I buy this again I am just pouring it into a small drink/wine glass and drinking a little at a time. This way, I may appreciate the taste more as opposed to trying to finish the whole 12oz bottle/

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

on tap 3/25/09 in large dogfish head snifter.

there was no head apparent what-so-ever. nice subtle lacing with spider-web retention. bronze in color and has a dark haze over it. very much alcohol up front in the nose(nail-polish remover?). a sweet, spicy, and of course hoppy aftertaste. about half way through there is more honey apparent in the nose, but still smells of alcohol.

even before the very last sip there was a nice milky way haze left behind. hardly a bitter aftertaste (for high ibu's) due to the high alcohol content which made it more a sweet honey flavor. extremely dense towards the bottom of the snifter with a slight floral flavor. the smell clears the sinuses quite nicely. after 30 minutes, a swirl of the snifter leaves a lovely, thin glaze of head behind, and continues to annihilate my palate!

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

120 Minute IPA pours a light copper color with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle that says it was bottled on 3/30/06. Hops and malt are both present in the aroma, as is a bit of fruitiness and some alcohol. The mouthfeel is downright thick. The flavor is very sweet, almost syrupy, followed by alcohol in the end. You can pick up hops and malt in the flavor, but this is not the hop bomb many might imagine. This is a sipper, the alcohol is definitely noticeable. Not something I would drink on a regular basis, but definitely worth a try.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Reviewed from notes (Really need to try it again)

A= Pours nice amber/caramel color, nice white head fades rather quick but does leave behind some decent lacing.

S= The nose comes with some heavy hops but is kind of dominated by caramel notes which is the backbone of this beer. It also smells kind of boozy to me like you can tell that there is some heat in this one.

T= Taste is what really got me on this one the caramel backbone is rather strong and in your face in this one. Hops are really not that big in this one and the booze is overpowering.

M= Very thick and syrupy becoming a little oily Medium-low carbonation level. This is really a sipping beer.

O= Overall, I remember not really enjoying it when I had it but now after I've been trying different styles for over a year now. I want to revisit this one again. Not really trying to seek it out that hard but if I stumble across a bottle again I will pick it up again just to see if I can appreciate it a little more my second time around.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

A- pours a nice solid amber color with a finger of off white head. Head quickly recedes into a thin layer of bubbles which honestly is impressive with such a high abv beer.

S- lots of sweet caramel, toffee, and candied sugar aromas hit the nose at first. Pine and leafy herbal hop aromas barely push through the sweetness. Huge solvent alcohol on the finish with some phenolic qualities.

T- big malty sweetness at initially with a candied sugar and toffee note. Spicy herbal hop with a note of bitter tea leaf in the middle. Huge alcohol presence on the finishs with a phenolic solvent character that tends to overpower the other flavors leaving an almost cloying boozey sweetness. Very warming.

MF- thick syrupy mouthfeel with average carbonation and full body.

D- very hot and overly sweet low drinkability.

look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle poured into snifter. This is relatively fresh 120 minute I think?, and not aged by me. Marked "2012K 23:43". 18% ABV.

Appearance: Fluffy off-white head. Pours a semi-clear golden orange color.

Aroma: A big hit of malty sweetness to my nose. A light fruity ester combined with a hint a pine and citrus. The aroma then melds into wet and juicy hops.

Taste: It's quite sweet. To the point of being cloy and nearly unbearable. Can't really taste the hops at all. Very bready.

Mouthfeel: Thick and full-bodied with a syrup/molasses-like presence on the tongue. Medium-carbonation.

Overall: Actually not half bad. I'll be interested to see where 1 year of aging on the 2nd bottle I have takes this beer. 18% ABV, and the wholly sweet nature of this brew make it a slow sipper to enjoy and warm up on a cold night.

3.47/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a cloudy burnt orange. I laugh as bubbles try and escape the syrupy consistancy. This is going to be interesting. Smells unbelievably powerful. Stong earthy hop presence melded with an apricot like sweetness. Undertones of pine, alcohol and an earthy must. Tasting knocked my palate out of place. Very cloyingly sweet with a nice hop bitterness and aroma. Surprisingly, the sweetness is almost matched by the bitterness, almost. Tastes of apricot, lemon, pine resin and alcohol. Finishes quite sweet. Alcohol is very deceiving, doesn't hit you till its dripping down your troat, then burns like a scotch. Mouthfeel has very little carbonation and very syrupy.

An unbelievable beer. I'm not sure if i should judge it by its uniqueness or compare it to any other beer. I think i'll take the middle road. A fantastic experimental brew, but way to cloyingly sweet to even think about having another one for quite a while. The hops are great, i love them. The bitterness is nice too, just not enough there to balance the sweetness. Can't wait to try an aged version.

3.47/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured at room temp in to an "iced tea glass" (basically an oversized wine glass) The beer was a thick cloudy brown with thin creamy tan head that lasted for a good while and left excellent lacing on the glass. Almost like a cappuccino.

Smell was sweet and alcohol and was pretty hard to handle. I didn't get any hops on the nose at all.

Sweet and balanced taste, dark fruits in the sweetness with just a slight bitterness that balanced well. Alcohol taste well hidden while drinking but it burns going down.

Mouthfeel is very heavy, a little carbonation could do this beer a lot of good in my opinion. Left a film feeling on the mouth and a burn in the throat.

Mouthfeel and ABV kill drinkabiity for this one for most people. After sipping the first one over an hour or so I could have handled another just fine without any problems but it was so heavy I really didn't want to.

3.47/5  rDev -12.4%

Presentation - 12 oz. bottle making some pretty lofty claims such as "the holy grail for hopheads" - I hope it delivers. Here we go.

Appearance - mostly transparent copper color with a tight white head, very tight indeed. Pretty nice.

Smell - lots of hops obviously, suprisingly little to no alcohol aroma at first, though once it got closer to the nose, alcohol became more apparent. What is there is a decent spicy corrolary to the hops. Also noticed a pretty fruity, grapey aroma as well.

Mouthfeel - suprisingly light bodied, more robust than most IPA's for sure, but not spectacularly so. Slick sweet sort of feel as the beer went on.

Taste - whoa! I has a lot of expectations for this beer, but was still taken aback by its overpowering aroma right as it enters your nose and then the palate dessimating flavor right as it goes in the mouth. Starts with a light carbonation bite and then some sweet malty/fruity taste at the front that gives way a powerful aromatic hop kick which lingers. I didn't find this really bitter at all to be honest, less so than the 60-minute version, but maybe some of the other hop flavors were so overwhelming I couldn't tell. Goes down with some fruity flavors, want to say grape, kind of reminiscient of their Raison D'etre. Alcohol flavor present as well, but not what one would expect for 20% abv, and leaves a warming burn in the throat. Interesting spiciness that hit towards the end, especially as I got farther along in the bottle and it warmed up some. Leaves a refreshingly candy sweet feel on the lips with a fragrant, slick sweet, fruity, hoppy character all over the mouth. Couples a too alcoholic taste with a semi-cloying sweetness that I wished would have smacked me with a bitter resonance.

Drinkability - Had to sip this one the whole way and was well on my way to being drunk by the end. Couldn't possibly drink two bottles in a row, but I'll give it some credit, since there is no other 20% abv beer/wine/liquor that I have tried which could keep me satisfied for over 12 oz.

This beer tore my palate a new one, so to speak. I could use a DFH 60-minute just to rinse my mouth out after this. Won't be having another right away, but definitely want to drink it again in the future. Very hard to rate this one because 1) it's not to style, but that is not really a downfall; 2) it's very interesting, but flawed; and 3) I want to give them credit for their effort and experimentation but have to be honest that this beer didn't win me over. Try it, but go back to the 60-minute for most occasions.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer pours a gorgeous golden/amber color and is visibly thick (thanks to the two hour hopping process mentioned in the name)with some large white yeast formations on the top of the glass. The beer smells pretty good, very hoppy like one would expect from this type of beer. The taste is overbearing. The alcohol taste is very strong and the hop taste is equally overpowering. I'm a fan of IPA's but this beer is simply too much for me. It coats the inside of your mouth and even burns with biterness. It took me an hour to drink the beer. Only recommended for extreme hop-heads.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery