Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,144 | Hads: 7,526
3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

Presentation: 12 fluid ounce bottle with a simple brass colored crown cap. Parchment quality label has the words ‘Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA The Imperial India Pale Ale’ underneath the picture of a hop cone. Bottom of the label has the words ‘AGES WELL Brewed in 03 04 05’, nicked at 04. Cost me $7.99 about a year ago, it has been in my beer cupboard since and my fridge for the last week.

Appearance: Decided to use a tall curve sided flute for this on, considering the fact that this was going to be a sipper. In fact, I used my “borrowed” LopLop Glass from the Brussels Bar of the same name. Has a graded color profile, light gold at the base thickens to an orange-gold at the surface. Dissolved carbonation quickly forms a reasonable looking white collar head, maybe a ¼” thick. The head slowly dissolves, but it never disappears, the

Nose: Dark dried orange peels, alcohol, sweet malts, laced citric vodka and heavy sweetish malts, but not much in the way of classic hops strangely.

Taste: Sweet start that builds into a warming middle laced with hop oils and gelatinous fruits such as pineapples, oranges, and a highly distilled white wine essence. Syrupy feel that detracts from the experience for me. Has a solvent like nasal singe at times.

Mouthfeel: Warming tropical fruit dimension in mouth, screeching hop-heat in the swallow, the 20% alcohol is still here. Thick fruity feel but it is not that appealing to me, big feel but sickly.

Drinkability: It is a sipper and whilst I love the hops, the oily nature and the burn and that annoying nasal singe means that even the little 12 ounce bottle takes a while to finish.

Overall: Maybe this is one of those brews that really needs a few years hidden away, but even after a year it still feels raw to me – and thinking about it, I don’t really see how it will improve to be honest.

Sure, it’s a unique brew, and yeah props to DFH for creating a 20% Imperial IPA, or an American D-IPA, or whatever you want to call it, but I prefer the big-ass IPA’s from Alesmith, Bear Republic, Great Divide, Stone, Rogue & Russian River and I still think the [750ml] DFH 90-Minute IPA kicks ass and is the best of the Doggie styles

The beer world's version of all those funky Concept Cars that never make it. Sometimes beers are just too big, I think that is the case here, and it doesn’t really deserve top marks just for that…..I think this is over-rated IMVHO.

“I’m an Imperialist you know”…..but this is a 'one-off' DFH 120-min Imperial IPA try for me, worth it and definitely and experience, but I won’t bother with it again.

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

This is an extremely tough review. I'm a huge fan of the 60 Minute IPA. But this is one of those cases where scaling is not linear. (Ever say you name or a common word over and over again until it sounds completely odd? That's what this is like with respect to hops.)

A: Copper colored with a light amount of off-white head that fades to a thin wisp.

S: Hops soaked in brandy is the best I can come up with. The hops are there, but not in the normal way.

T: This has moved beyond beer flavor to a liquor. In spite of the premise of the brew, I'm getting much more malt than hops.

M: Warming. Very warming. If I were in front of a roaring fire in a ski lodge, this would hit the spot. It's a big beer, meaning that the body is very full and the carbonation doesn't really play much of a role.

D: This is akin to cognac or brandy or port. For what it is, it's drinkable (sippable), but splitting one of these is the way to go.

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

Served in a tulip glass from the bottle.

A: Gives the appearance of a slightly over-ripe peach; deep orange red through the thickest portion of the glass turning to a slightly golden orange nearest the surface of the glass. I was rewarded with a robust, off-white head two finger-thick. The carbonation, though present, doesn't keep the head alive and, sadly, it fades away within minutes, leaving me with a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass and a thin film towards the center of the beer. Some lacing left on the glass as I imbibe the beer.

S: Zounds! Hops, hops and more fresh hops. There's something else there mingling with the hops...honey, nectar, molasses, I'm not sure, but it's definitely something sticky sweet . The smell is heavenly.

T: The hops are there from lips to gut in all their resiny, piney goodness, but so is the sweetness that I picked up through the nose and it doesn't go away. It almost tastes like that over-ripe peach that I mentioned earlier. It doesn't really detract from the taste, but I don't feel that it adds to it either. It's just somewhat distracting.

M: Somewhat oily up front, but finishes remarkably clean (although that damn sweetness won't subside). In a beer of this potency I am utterly astounded that the alcohol profile isn't running roughshod through and over the flavor, but it's not.

Overall I am glad for having tried this beer. Hell, it inspired me enough to finally sit down and write my first beer review after years of lurking on BA. If it happened to find its way back to Peoria I would probably do what I could to get another bottle, but realistically it's not something that could be considered a staple of any one's "beer diet", readily available or not. I must give a shout-out to BA MWalters for the heads-up on this one. Thanks-a-million!

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

Thanks to ThePeskyDingo for sharing this one with me.

Poured into Sierra Nevada Glass.

Pours a 1/2 finger, very slightly off white head. Color is slightly hazy golden sunset orange. Not to well of head retention, but what can a person expect at 18%abv.

Aroma: I get nail polish remover off the top. Very slight booze. Some citrus. A lot of earthy hops. Kind of weird, but what else are you going to get at this much abv. It is my first of its kind and very unique.

Taste: Here is the booze. Honey, citrus blend, massive amounts of floral hops, bready malts, some fresh pineapples. Very sugary.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, but very creamy as compared to what I was expecting. Med-full bodied. Medium carbonation. Leaves a boozy floral aftertaste. 1 word to describe this: Wow!

Overall, this was quite the sipper. Glad I shared it with Russ. I don't know if I could have a lot of this. Not to bad for the abv, but definitely a beer to drink in moderation.

3.45/5  rDev -12.7%

Tried this again. My initial review was overly positive, probably because I didn't expect this thing to be drinkable. I tried again.

It's thick and sticky, with a nice amber tone and a fluffy, sticky eggshell head. The smell is of malts and grass and syrupy fruits. The first taste isn't hoppy, not in the bitter sense, rather it's sweet with a little bit of piney(?) hop. God, it's sweet. As it warms, it gets syrupy. Thick and sticky, still drinkable, and still quite sweet. It's not bad, but it's not something to drink much of, there are too many better beers out there. Oversweet and too heavy. A nice experiment.

I described it earlier as balanced, but it's not. It's sweet and lacking in depth. Huge and simple.

Over-hyped, overblown, but I liked it the first time.

3.44/5  rDev -12.9%

Been sitting on this 12oz., vintage 2004 bottle for over a year now. Could have let it sit longer, but... what the hey!

Served in a snifter at cellar temperature.

A - Pours a slightly hazed bright orange-caramel color. An off-white head rises to about 1/2 inch at best (with a vigorous pour) and quickly dissapates as expected. Remaining bubbles are soapy and big, sticking together in a big clump. Lacing is sporadic, but noticeable.

S - Juicy sweet, nectar dripping fruitiness. Pineapples, peaches, apricots and pears. Kiwi fruits even. In lesser amounts, there is also a tinge of pine. Orange blossom honey.

T - Big big sweetness up front, but ambiguously sugary and without much discernible malt presence. In the middle, the alcohol makes a big isopropyl-style entrance. At the back of the throat, the fragrant west-coast hops become very prevalent, although not as punchy as the smell would have you believe it should be. As you swallow, you notice that your mouth becomes sucked dry of any lingering moisture and the alcohol leaves a slight burning in the back of the throat. Big, warm afterglow.

M - Very thick and syrupy with a hint of carbonation. The swallow is slick, but the alcohol keeps it from being smooth.

D - The main thing I kept thinking as I was writing this review is that the alcohol is unnecessarily strong. I feel that it knocks everything else out of balance. Good thing I was sharing the bottle with my sister, because I would not have been able to finish the bottle myself.

3.44/5  rDev -12.9%

Bottled 6/10/11 shared with a friend and poured into a wine glass.

A: No head except for a slight film/ring of bubbles, orange and hazy that clears as it wars.

S: Booze and hops, but mostly booze, hops are citrus.

T: Intensely sweet and alcoholic, hops do not balance the flavors, this beer needs more time.

M: Prickly light carbonation with a good medium mouthfeel for such a strong beer.

O: The beer is intense!

3.44/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First of all, let me say that I think Dogfish Head is one of the best craft brewerys in the world. Now after saying that I have tried alot of thier beers and have been looking for the 120. I bought a bottle of it for 17 dollars and rushed home to taste it. I was immediately dissapointed. It is a good beer however I love hoppy beer and looked as though this one would be the holly grail (it wasn't). Very Sweet and alcoholic, which drowns out alot of the hop flavors. This is a great barley wine and should be classified as a barley wine. I haven't had a beer that has beat my expectations of 90 minute IPA. i thought this one would do it, and it didn't.

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into a snifter. Dating is smudged but I believe it's from '07

A: Pours a ruby red grapefruit with a bronze tinting. 1 finger of off white head rises up in the snifter and eventually dies to a thick fluffy skim. Some patchy lacing.

S: Alcohol is definitely present with raw phenols. Alcohol doesn't destroy other scents. I can still easily get a nice sweet grapefruit oil with a spiciness to it. Malts are hugely sweet and very similar to a barleywine.

T/M: Bitterness isn't extremely huge like I thought it might have been. It could either be the massive malt backbone overpowering it or this might already be aged a year. Sweet citrus oils can still be detected. Malt is very sweet and slightly oak-y. Alcohol is still very present. Medium full bodied that is a bit syrupy. Carbonation seems on the low side after the first minute or 2.

D: Not bad tasting at all. I'd suggest sharing a single bottle with at least 1 other person. If I were blind tasting this without even a style given, I'd bet on it being a barleywine instead of a Triple IPA.

poured 12oz bottle into goblet

A- poured thin head that almost disappeared immediately. caramel brown color in the glass

S- orange citrus smell with the alcohol drowning out any other flavors

T- very sweet...orange fruity flavor is only note I could detect. alcohol doesn't really hit til the back of the throat and in the aftertaste. much too sweet for my taste

M- very thick and syrupy. could have used more carbonation

D- this beast is definitely a sipper. took me an hour to finish. everyone should try at least once for the experience. couldn't get paste the sugary sweet taste...kind of like those orange cough medicines I used to take as a kid.

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

Finally got my hands on this one thanks to korguy123. First beer ever poured in to my new CBS snifter. Bottled on 9/19/11.

A - Light to medium orange/amber colour; translucent. Half a finger of off white head that very quickly receded to a ring around the edges of the glass.

S - A huge alcohol aroma up front dominates the nose. Sweet caramel malts, toffee and muted citrus notes are evident. The alcohol is very dominant.

T - The alcohol is noticeable up front and remains warming throughout. A hop bitterness is evident as well but is somewhat masked by the alcohol burn. Sweet caramel and toffee flavours are present along with muted pine and citrus notes in the background. The finish is dry and slightly bitter with an alcohol burn lingering slightly.

M - Medium body, sticky. Light carbonation.

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

Since I'm a big fan of the 60 minute and an even bigger fan of the 90 minute I expected to flip for the 120. Mathematically it would make sense, but no. I just didn't find it anywhere near as drinkabile as the 60 or the 90 minute IPAs and it has nothing to do with the high alcohol content. There was a certain sweetness that comes from God knows where. With 120 minutes of hopping I was expecting something similar to the 90 min served through Randall the Enamel Animal. The beer had a certain "thickness" to it that really took away from the mouthfeel.

All is not lost though. Get yourself 2 bottles. The first one you can drink by itself and give it a fair chance. (It is good, but I'll stick to the 90). Next take that second bottle along with a bottle of World Wide Stout and mix up the ultimate and most extreme half & half. Enjoy.

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter.

I don't think I've ever held onto a bottle for this long. I've even cracked jokes about this bottle being in my fridge for an eternity or two. I guess it's probably time to try this now that my expectations are properly lowered. Bottled on 2/9/09.

It pours out a nice, red-orange color with an expectantly small head that quickly drops to wisps. The aroma is very sweet and boozy, smelling more like a brandy then a beer. The taste, again, is closer to booze than beer. There's a little bit of hops, but it's really tastes a lot like brandy. I poured out some Remy VSOP to confirm my suspicions. Any way, it is still pretty good tasting, with just a bit of prickly hops on the backend, and plenty of sweetness and fruit on the front. The mouthfeel is thick with a decent level of carbonation. Overall, it's just too damn sweet without other dimensions to even it out.

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

A- Very interesting golden to orange to copper change as I poured into a snifter with a miniscule head

S- Lots of citrus fruit and honey with some sugary scents, kind of like a decent cognac

T- Lots of honey and sugar with a hint of citrus, again, like a decent cognac

M- Very sticky and syrupy but light and smooth

D- With the extremely high ABV this is one at a time there chief

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

Traded a little over a year ago from ManiacalOne.

Poured into a Corsendonk tulip with a beautiful semi-transparent copper color. Being such a high-alcohol brew I was expecting a smaller head, but this thing is massive. Huge white frothy head just isn't going anywhere...

Whoa. I think I might've actually gotten a little dizzy smelling this thing. Immensely sweet fruit salad in my nose... grapefruit, orange peel, apples, plums, God only knows what else.. oh and of course, a ton of alcohol. Somewhat of a floral hoppiness too hiding in the back.

First swallow... took me completely off-guard. This is not at all what I expected out of a beer that advertises itself at 120 IBUs. In fact, it's downright sweet. I expected a little bit of sweetness from the ridiculously high alcohol content, but after reading on the label about this so-called "holy grail for hopheads" I am sorely disappointed. But still, just because it's not what I was expecting doesn't make it bad. Very bread doughy malts and a ton of tropical fruits here, oranges, mangos, peaches, etc. Not a lot else minus the huge alcohol flavor.

Very thick, sticky mouthfeel. Definitely full-bodied and actually somewhat reminiscent of schnapps....or maple syrup. In fact, I'm having to grab some water every couple sips. Frankly, this one is just going a little too far... try it for novelty if you get the chance, but don't go too far out of your way.

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

I picked up a bottle of this at Lee's Discount Liquor and poured it into a Duvel tulip. Label read Bottled On 5/1/09.

Poured a very copper and amber in color, with very little head. Left some mild lacing while drinking.

I couldn't quite place it, but it was like a sweet and sour smell. Strong citrus and alcohol smell was noticeable.

The 120 was incredibly sweet with a lot of apple and honey flavor.

The beer was very smooth with very fine effervescence, while not feeling overly carbonated.

The beer really hides the alcohol well. I'm not sure if it was the ABV or the sweetness, but this was a struggle to finish. My stomach was really feeling it after.

After having the 90 Minute last week on draft, I was really surprised at the difference in the 120. This tasted much more like a barleywine to me as opposed to an IPA. Next time I have this I'll need to split it with a friend...maybe for dessert!

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

Appearance - Dark, Deep Orange. Beautiful 1-finger head. Nice, tight bubbles

Smell- Not at all what I was expecting. I'm detecting very little citrus. Malty, honey, bourbon-like smell. Very boozy, but what would you expect in a 18% beer?

Taste- Reminds me a little of Hopslam, but a lot less drinkable. This is more like a port wine to me. You get the honey-sweet, malty flavor. Tons of booze.

Mouth- almost a syrup-like consistency. Very heavy feel.

Overall - Not at all a hop-lovers dream. The sweet, syrup-like consistency makes this much like a dessert beer. Meant to be sipped and shared. Glad I tried it, but not at all what I was looking forward to.

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

A) Beer is orangish. Great head, it dissipates over time, but good considering the ABV. White head. Sediments floating around. Beer got stirred up on a short hike before drinking. Lacing all the way down.

S) Sweet and hoppy.

T) Big 'ol prunes. Big, spicy alcohol that cuts some of the sweetness. Sweet, Sweet, Sweet, Crusty-Sweet. Cotton Candy. Intensely bitter but easily overpowered by the malt. Winey.

M) Big and heavy and big.

D) I mean, what can you say here. I hurt all over. It beats you up a little. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't easy killing all 12 oz.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Very sweet. Mouthfeel is thick, hops are there, but are pretty well balanced out by the alcohol. Perhaps I should consider that an achievement in balance, but it just seems like I'm having beer concentrate. Good aroma, almost no head.

I had high expectations, and while this isn't by any means bad, I just feel like I don't get it. I'd rather have one out of their regular lineup.

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

Review from 3/14/15 (ratings changed to reflect this review) - On-tap at Yard House. Still a little too much alcohol and too thick for me, but I appreciate this more that I used to. An interesting beer for sure, but still not something I think I'll ever be craving.

Original review from 5/12/06

Look - 4.0
Smell - 2.5
Taste - 2.5
Fell - 2.5
Overall - 2.0
Avg - 2.49

Sampled from a fresh bottle dated 3/3/06. Color is a bright copper with lots of big, slow moving bubbles for carbonation. Head is tall, thick, and off-white. Retention is high for a beer with this much ABV. Not much here in for smell. Traces of citrissy hops, alcohol, and a fruity malt are noted. Taste is of a very sweet, make that an almost sickly sweet malt, with a slight edge of fruitiness. Strong alcohol flavor is in the mix. Some citrissy hop flavor fades into the background. I was actually expecting this to be a very, very hoppy beer. This reminds me more of a supped up euro strong lager, like something from Russia. There's just too much sweetness and alcohol here for my tastes. I'm gonna set my other bottle aside for a long, long time and see what happens.

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

'03 vintage 12 oz. bottle split with cmaruschak into a snifter.

Appearance: Crystal clear honey pour with golden straw edging. A small, tight, dish soapy looking ivory head forms. The head doesn't last long and there is minimal carbonation which I would expect for this high ETOH monster.

Smell: Alcohol...rum soaked dark fruits, almost burning on the nose. Very English Barleywine-esque. Maybe port-like in smell with burnt sugars dominating throughout. How this smells like a double IPA? I don't know.

Taste: Good gawd. Malty almost cloying sweetness. Brown sugar notes, ice wine, honey, dried dark fruits, with a metallic finish. Amazingly, the alcohol is hidden nicely. This tastes like no IPA I've had before. I don't know if it's b/c of the age of this beer but I taste no hop presence at all. This continues to be more reminiscent of a barley wine.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a light syrupy feel.

Drinkability: I'm glad I split this. I was barely able to finish the shared sample. Nothing is off here but this is a sipper for sure. It pushes the envelope and I have to give DFH credit for that. There are many beers with smaller ABV's that can blend flavor and ETOH like DFH does. Still, I can't imagine making this one a regular by any means. Worth a try I suppose.

3.43/5  rDev -13.2%

2003 vintage, opened August 2006. Pours out a reddish brown, with a thin off white head, and plenty of carbonation. The nose is fruity, with peaches, and strawberries, bellied by hops and yeast. Taste sweetly carbonated, but finishes fairly dry and clean.

3.42/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I feel obligated to start with a disclaimer in fairness to the unique beer that this is...
I consider myself a fanatic of ipas, especial doubles. 90 and 60 minute are two of my favorites and I enjoy most everything DFH has to offer. With that being said, DO NOT go into this one expecting anything that resembles an IPA in any way, shape, or form. This is so over the top I have a hard time even believing this is a beer. This is definitely not one for the weak or someone who is just getting into IPAs.

It poured an extremely hazy orange color with almost no head whatsoever, except for around the rim.

The smell was quite surprising. Right away it smells like bubble gum and sweet, fruity esters. Very sweet, for that matter. There is a floral hop presence, but nowhere near what I was expecting.

Again, the taste is way over the top, unlike anything I've had before. It's medicinal and reminds me of candy flavored cough syrup you'd have as a kid. It's very sweet and the hop attack I was expecting isn't there and subsequently neither is the bitterness.

It's thick and syrupy. Cough syrup. By the end I felt like my mouth was sprayed with Chloroseptic.

I struggled to get through this beer more than any other I've ever tried. It's not so much the alcohol content, although that contributed, but it's more of the sweetness and syrupy texture.

I'm glad I tried this beer. It's very creative and worth the price to try, but it's doubtful I ever buy it again unless I have a friend that wants to try it for the first time. I actually scored this beer significantly less then went back after thinking about it for a while, mainly because you have to understand going into this that DFH is trying to create something over the top and not for the every day consumer. It's not a bad beer by any means, but it definitely takes an open mind and palate to appreciate it.

3.42/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Draft pour. This is just too big of a beer. It's all booze up front and then overpowering sugary sweetness at finish. Heavy mouthfeel. Surprisingly little balance from a great brewer and highly rated beer.

3.42/5  rDev -13.4%

This is the late 2011 batch of this beer - I had it on draft at American Craft.

A- Orange colored decently sized head, for the ABV 18%. Huge spider web like lacing.

S- Big front of malt character, then grapefruit/ mango hop notes.

T - The complexity of this beer made me anxious to try it on draft. The first and most lingering note is the hop flavor, but it drinks more liek a barley wine, with distinct malt flavors, that are present in most of dogfishhead's big IPAs. A barly wine/congac type of warmth radiates through you after drinking this, which is the only indication of a high 18% ABV.

M- The ABV is apparent, but its smooth and meant to be sipped as slow as you can go.

O - An extreme beer at 18% but more of a barley wine than an imperial IPA. It is priced at the top tier and it is very good, considering it should last you an hour.Note: This ruins all other beers.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery