120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
JBMK9

4.46/5  rDev +9.3%

I waited for about 4 years to try this beer. Because of living arrangements, I was never in a state that carries it. I found this in Texas, and was extremely happy. The 90 minute IPA is my beer of choice. After having this, that has not changed. The biggest surprise from this beer is the sweetness. It is sweet like the Three Philosophers is sweet, with an IPA finish. Very interesting beer. Very tasty. I drank an entire 12 oz bottle to myself over a two hour period. I have three more that I am keeping for enjoyment at different times. Going to hold one for at least couple of years.

01-21-2013 00:57:21 | More by JBMK9
DrewShal9

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: dark orangey/amber/red with a whitish head that less towards the thinner side
S: earth/grass, pine, alcohol, citrus, and tropical fruit
T: very very sweet with some booze (very well hidden), pineapple and other tropical fruits, candy and sugary. Alcohol burn when swallowed.
M: moderately bodied with very little to no carbonation
O: glad I got to experience this and want to age some to see how the flavor will develop. Definitely impressed with the high abv and still being able to maintain good flavors! Thank you DFH!

08-10-2011 00:54:52 | More by DrewShal9
mdvatab

Indiana

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in recent trade w/ a NY BA.
Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Wow--big, carmelly malt profile. Herbal hops accompany a sweet, candied pineapple aroma. Also evident is a soft alcohol note.

A: Body of the beer is halfway between copper and gold, with a slight haze. Pours a 1/2 finger of off-white foam, which goes away fast.

F: Wow again! Big, boozy caramel. Herbal hops, and candied pineapple again. Peppery booze. Again, very sweet, sticky caramel flavor. Also picking up a cherry-vanilla flavor.

M: Medium-full slick mouthfeel. Carbonation is medium-low.

O: I always heard great things about this brew, but then read recent threads with "polarized" opinions. I definitely stand with those who think this beer is a great one. (I only wish it weren't so hard to find!) Get a bottle and see for your self!

01-14-2012 20:54:02 | More by mdvatab
fredferrell

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

All I can say is this beer will knock your socks off. There are two ways it can do this. Either by the hops aroma or the alcohol after taste.

I just picked up 3 cases of this in Richmond, VA and could not wait to get home to try it. When poured, it fills up the pint glass to the top with about an inch of head. It has a dark orange color to it. The scent is great, but may be over the top for some. If you don't like IPAs, don't waste your time or money, and at $9 a bottle it would be money well saved. You can smell the hops right away and there is some smell of alcohol. When tasted there is a flavor of great hops and some malt. I think it is a good balance since I like that type of beer. There is also a good bitterness to it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

05-06-2006 23:19:08 | More by fredferrell
oricon

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

After first taking on the 120 as a young hop novice years ago, I recently dared to take on the beast at the dogfish head brewery itself. after partaking of randalized 90 min all evening, the 120 was still like that first hit of crack on a cold February morning. The 120 has a tremendous syrupy mouthfeel, backed up by a surprisingly smooth mega-hoppy aroma and flavor.

06-22-2007 03:29:41 | More by oricon
devinoconnor

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My first experience with the Dogfish Head 120 IPA... a 2009 keg at the Coppermine Pub in North Arlington, NJ.

Pours a wonderful amber-brown wooden color with a little foamy head. Perfect carbonation with some nice bubbles rising to the top.

Smell is sweet and hoppy and very intense. At over 20% alcohol, it isn't going to be timid. Hops are mixed with honey and a little citrus. But the overall dominating factor is the sugary scent.

While many others said it was just too sweet and overpowering, I happened to really enjoy it. Yes, it's intense but it's meant to be sipped. It was a treat. Plenty of sugar and hops blend very nicely for a smooth finish for such a huge beer.

09-27-2011 16:48:57 | More by devinoconnor
objectivemonkey

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

Here we go, the mother of IPAs, the mecca of hop-dom.

Pours a hazy golden orange, a slightly aggressive pour yielding a whopping two inch head, white, frothy, and cloudy, mounds of lacing sticking to the sides. After 2/3 of the bottle poured, waited for the head to settle, poured the rest in, and appeared almost smoke like streaks, clouds in the haze, must be the yeast, fascinating. Although it kind of freaks me out, this is way better/cooler than the Guiness avalanche. Quite frankly, one of the loviest (and most fascinating) brews I've yet seen.

A potent hop nose at first, then goes away, the alcohol not hiding but not oppressive, floral and has a sugar-like malty base beneath other elements.

Taste is much sweeter than I expected, and not nearly as hoppy, but you definitely need to take it slow, as the alcohol makes its presense known in the middle through the end, warming nicely, somewhat oppressive, though I'll use the term 'stern'. Mouth screws up from inital sweetness, kind of letting you off guard when the alcohol bite strikes like a cobra, puckering, and this is where the hop bittering makes its debut, and while basically overshadowed by the abv, combines with the sweet fruits and malts and sugars yielding an almost zen-like state of beer nirvana. And while I've seen others describe the taste as 'grapefruit-like', I'll say its more sweetly caramel-like syrup, coinciding with the thick mouth and the high abv to just linger there, giving you much to think about. Appropriately, the after taste, sweet and warming, stays with you for quite some time before receding.

This reminds me of when I first tried Samichlaus, another super-high abv beer, and this seems to IPAs what Samichlaus is to doppelbocks. It is wierd, as I know this is in the IPA style, I can feel it, but it has just been loaded with so much, almost to the point of overpowering, that it takes on a whole different character, a breed unto itself. One of a kind.

Take your time, sip away, respect and enjoy slowly. That is the nature of this beer, and while one person might say its hopped to high hell and abv is out of control, I say its a beautifully crafted. At $8, and basically needing to spend a half hour focusing solely on enjoying it, I can't imagine having more than one a year, or one every half year. But, I'll be headed back to the store to pick up a few to stash the cellar.

04-25-2006 23:54:19 | More by objectivemonkey
flexabull

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

I got two of these courtesy of two great BAs. (drseamus and nathan15) Thanks guys! I figured I would drink one now, and one later.

I heard about this beer about 3 years ago, and have always wanted to try it. I am a total hop head, but I had a feeling that at 21% ABV, that this one wouldn't be all that hoppy... let's see.

I poured this into an oversized Riedel wine glass. It poured a nice slightly cloudy orange color, with a great looking white head.

Aromas are very biting on the nose. Super charged alcoholic fruits, and some pine notes as well.

First sip... wow! If you set this in front of me, I would have never guessed this was a 21%!!! ABV beer. I would have said at least half that amount. There is a surprising light flavor to this beer. It doesn't really bog you down with huge overbearing flavors. It is big, no doubt about it. But it doesn't wack you over the head with any particular flavors. It has a sweety creamy undertone to the first sip, the beer then settles into a bitter hoppy finish, that does give you a bit of a jolt from the alcohol. But it's not overwhelming. This is a wonderful beer.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. This is so full bodied, and well crafted. The beer really coats your mouth nicely.

Drinkability? Well... one and done for sure with this beast. But this is a special beer, and I am really glad I got to try it. I was skeptical about aging this at first... (I prefer double IPAs fresh) But this isn't really a double IPA. It's really more like a super alcohol hop charged barleywine. I think the other bottle is going to sit for a while. I also think this will stay on my wants list. Well done Dogfish Head!

04-19-2007 04:25:21 | More by flexabull
DrummerDan

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

What a beautiful beer served in a Brandy-style snifter. Reddish brown hue with soft white head that slowly reduced while I was drinking this lovely beer.

Complex aroma creeps up to my nose, outdoorsy, hoppy, fruity, and then a bit of brown sugar or burnt sugar or caramel. Delicious aroma.

Perfectly balanced hop bitterness and the a bit of sweetness not cloying but my friend described it as syrupy. The alcohol warms the back of your throat and you can feel it, but it is not a burning. I enjoyed it more as it warmed slightly.

Full-bodied ale mouthfeel, not watery, but not heavy in any way. I could drink a lot of these but I'd fall off my stool after two.

05-09-2009 05:46:17 | More by DrummerDan
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

"Bottled on 05/10/07 E"

"What you have here is the holy grail for hopheads. This beer is continuously hopped over a 120-minute boil and then dry-hopped every day for a month."

12 oz brown bottle poured into a tulip glass.

a: A hazy, muddy looking orange brown with a small off-white head.

s: Sweet and boozy, with hints of honey, pine and citrus hops.

t: Flavor is very unique, hard to get a handle on.
Seems more like a barleywine or some sort of malty liquor.
A deep, sweet maltiness upfront, then some oily, piney, citrus hops, and a spicy alcohol finish. Given all the hop talk on the label, I am shocked by its balance.

m: Very thick/syrupy/chewy. Full bodied. Hop oil coats the tongue.

d: Wow! What a beer. More of a barleywine then a DIPA.
Great balance of malt and hops really masks the alcohol.
Never would have believed its 21% abv. DFH really has a unique on here, despite the absurd amounts of hops, malt, and alcohol, no flavor dominates.
Surprisingly drinkable given the alcohol so BE CAREFUL!

12-01-2007 23:18:28 | More by BradLikesBrew
Beer_Runner

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle date: 2012A 0747. Not really sure what this means. I think it was bottled sometime in 2012, but I am not sure about the month, and therefore, not sure about how long this beer has aged.

A: A fairly aggressive pour into a standard pint glass produced about half a finger of dense head that is a light khaki color. After a few minutes the head dissipated to a thin, patchy layer. All-in-all, pretty good head retention for this level of ABV. The brew is a golden-orange with just a little haze. It is easily translucent and there are steady streams of carbonation rising to the head.

S: The aroma is a blend of pine and grapefruit citrus with some sweet malt in the mix, too.

T: There is a strong sweet malt backbone that supports and balances a bold hops blend of pepper, citrus, and pine, along with yeast flavors of bread and clove.

M: The body is just a touch to the heavier side of the medium range, and there is lively level of carbonation that seems to fit this beer well. It is also surprisingly easy drinking and smooth.

O: This is definitely a top-notch double IPA. The malt and hops are both big and bold, but, they balance each other and play-off each other well. And, the alcohol is well hidden for this level of ABV; so, it is also an easy drinking beer. It is well worth trying for hopheads and double IPA fans. This is a first class offering in the hyper competitive arena of big, hoppy beers.

11-18-2012 00:27:12 | More by Beer_Runner
Thickfreakness

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- It pours a ridiculolusly clear amber into my Ithaca Excelsior tulip. It started with a nice thick and frothy, honey hued head that faded away, and left some decent legs of sticky lacing around the rim of the glass. Very effervesent for a beer of this ABV!

S- Orange blossom honey, caramel apples, ALCOHOL, tangerine, grapefruit rind, pineapple, and touches of peaches. Like walking thru a citrus grove surrounded by a pine forest while eating a Sugar Daddy that you keep dipping in Moonshine!

T- A rush of citrus, tropical fruit, pine sap, caramel apple... ... ... and then the booze kicks you right in the mouth!!! It's like being kicked in the mouth by a Donkey after doing a shot of caramel/citrus vodka! Holy Cow! I love it! It's a little abrasive, but what did you expect... it's friggin' 18%!!!

M- Sweet, citrusy, piney, and a wallop of alcohol! Really neat how it turns from sweet, to citrus, to completely mouth stripping!!! LOL! Listerine should make something this flavor! Way more carbonation than I expected!

O- This is rediculous and redonkulous!!! Bursts of caramel maltiness, tropical and citrusy fruitiness, and a shit ton of nasal passage cleansing booze!!! Glad I have some of these to put away to see how they develop over time. I had a 2007 in 2010 and it was really awesome! Really looking forward to reviewing another in a few years.

06-19-2012 00:57:09 | More by Thickfreakness
mgdeth

Montana

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance - Pale orangish-amber color. This looka like any other pale ale or IPA out there. Off-white head is okay, retention is okay. Good lace.

Smell - Strong hoppy aroma, mostly floral. There is also a strong sweet smell. Very attractive. The smell of alcohol is in there as well.

Taste - Well, it is very bitter, but I was expecting something that was going to toss me on my behind. Much to my surprise, this beer is also quite sweet. Alcoholic warmth is very strong, but well balanced.

Mouthfeel - Great, very thick body. Sticky. This is truly a sippin' beer. The beer finishes with a alcoholic burn.

Drinkability - Contrary to some other reviews, I do not find this to be too alcoholic. Everything is well balanced. The severve bitternes is a little rough on the stomach. However, at $10 a bottle, I will not be drinking it too often, despite its wonderful characteristics.

Comments - Hopheads rejoice! At first, I was not really impressed with this stuff, but it grows on you. The bitterness will not kill you, but it should impress you. Truly a skillfully made beer!

03-14-2005 03:03:18 | More by mgdeth
paco1029384756

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

Orange brown pour with very little head and perfect lacing. Scent is massive with a sweet sugar scent up front with some malts and alcohol backing. A little deeper in the scent lies some citrus and blueberries with a hint of caramel and cinnamon. The taste is ridiculous, powerful sweetness with some alcohol initially, fades into a calm sugary sweetness with citrus and malts weaving through. Mouthfeel is slightly biting, but very smooth. Drinkability is pretty high, too high in fact. A perfect example of a dangerously drinkable beer.

08 bottle reviewed. I will definitely get this again, but I will try an older bottle to see what age does to it.

My favorite thing about this beer is the mouthfeel, and because of it's strength, if you hold it in your mouth, it takes over your senses. After a few seconds it starts to crawl through your sinuses and you pick up some more depth to the scent of this beer.

05-11-2008 22:30:04 | More by paco1029384756
Toaster565

12 oz. bottle, poured into a large snifter, 21% ABV

A: dark amber, almost orange...thick 1-finger head to start, but diminished quickly...light carbonation with bubbly action that lasted for quite a while...small amount of lacing left behind.

S: strong alcoholic and some citrus - grapefruit, and some orange.

T: surprisingly malty to start with a caramely sweetness and something else that I can't place...hops coming on strong at the end, and lingering...slight alcoholic burn comes on later in the chest.

M: fairly full-bodied and thick, especially for an IPA, slightly carbonated.

D: amazingly drinkable for the style and the ABV...if I had to guess the ABV based on taste alone, I would say 7-9%.

...really a nice surprise all around...just missed this on tap at the map room a month ago - now I'm really sorry that I did.

02-03-2008 03:06:39 | More by Toaster565
mkobes

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

Great beer. Really strong almost like barleywine. Subtle in alcohol, not noticable. But be careful it sure is there. I think its 20%. Good winter beer, really warms you up. Smooth flavors. Full bodied beer. Great beer from Dogfish head. Very enjoyable. Malty and hoppy. Copper in color. I really liked this beer.

01-31-2004 18:12:03 | More by mkobes
larryi86

Delaware

12 oz bottle dated 2011 poured into a snifter

A- A bright orange/copper color with a small one finger head that faded quickly, nice lacing.

S- Citrus/tropical hops and alcohol, there is a nice sweetness to the hops.

T- Hops, tropical and citrus fruits, a candy/molasses sweetness, alcohol is noticeable and adds to the complexity, but doesn't taste like it is around 18% ABV. This has some really nice bitterness to it.

M- Medium to full body, surprisingly smooth.

O- I am truly surprised how good this is fresh, I really thought it would be too boozy and a little bit of a mess. I have had it before with some age on it, and it is great aged. I am really glad that I was able to get ahold of a few bottles. I can't wait to have this again with some age on it.

07-20-2011 20:58:17 | More by larryi86
GarrettMD

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Pours a light amber, completely clear with a constant cascade of tiny carbonation bubbles. 1 finger off white head that stays around for quite a while.

S - Fairly well balanced on the aroma. No noticeable alcohol, but the caramel malts and earthy hops balance out perfectly. Pine, orange citrus, hints of lemon, and just general hop bitterness followed up with sweet caramel.

T - Same balance in the nose with some added characters. The caramel malts still balance perfectly with the hops creating a beer that is in no way too hop-dominant. Still, earthy hops dominate the hop flavor, coming in next is the general bitterness with the citrus hops chilling in the background. Alcohol is definitely noticeable in the taste, but not to a detriment. It is there right for the initial hit on your tongue, but that's just it. It doesn't show itself again anywhere in the beer, except maybe at the tail end of the finish.

M - Medium bodied, super sticky. Just as with most IPAs I enjoy, the sticky malts help the hop flavors and bitterness to cling to the inside of your mouth forever. Finish is sticky sweet with mostly caramel flavor and hints of citrus hops with general bitterness.

O - I have been waiting to get my hands on this beer for a while now. It has lived up to expectations. While it isn't the best example of an IPA I have had, it does an amazing job to balance itself and the alcohol for the ABV it contains.

10-21-2011 01:47:39 | More by GarrettMD
grayburn

South Carolina

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

This beer is not an ipa, or an iipa, or anything one could categorize. Only Dogfish Head can put such a crazy twist on something.

This beer is an amber delight with a little bit of head, surprising for the abv.

Smells of sweet sweet hops and alcohol, not so much hot as vinous. This is going to be a recurring theme in the beer, this beer drinks much like a wine (only better of course).

The hops give a wonderful essence to the palate of this lupuliquor. They come in droves, lines, lines, lines deep, but leave no bitter trace as the warming malty alcohol washes them away. The alcohol is amazingly well hidden in this uberbrew. I am shocked with every passing sip.

The mouthfeel is interesting, little to no hop bitterness, a sweet tang, slightly off kilter but the carbonation works wonders.

I could drink a bottle of this without much problems, pretty good drinkings for such a big brew. I love DFH

03-09-2009 04:09:10 | More by grayburn
ixodus

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fresh 2012 Bottle.

A: Deep reddish orange, no head, minimal lacing.

S: Sweet tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, resinous pine, sweet caramel, honey, booze. Very aromatic hops smell more sweet than anything.

T: Sweet tropical/citrus hops, pineapple, tangerine, nectarine, grapefruit. Hops come through sweet but still pick at your palate with moderate bitterness. Honey and caramel stay strong in the background to back the hops up. Alcohol definitely shows but it's quite subdued for it's abv. I've had much hotter beers with significantly lower abv.

M: Full bodied, smooth, slightly sticky finish. carbonation is soft-moderate.

O: I really enjoy this beer. It's more of an english-american fusion barleywine rather than an IPA. Threw a 4-pack of last years in the cellar definitely throwing a few in the cellar this year.

03-15-2012 22:59:28 | More by ixodus
yelterdow

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

2004 Edition, cellared longer than anything else I've ever kept. After sampling this on tap in 2004, I picked up this lone 12 oz. bottle and decided to save it for a special occasion, the right moment.

Here's that special moment, and I am commemorating nothing at all.

Served in Dogfish Head's beautiful oversize brandy snifter at cellar temperature.

Appearance- Pours an almost perfectly clear whisky orange, carrying a small but sticky bone white head that winds up randomly decorating the inside edge of my glass. Alcohol content aside, this looks like it should be a fun ride.

Smell- Initially, the burst of air that wafted out of this bottle truly smelled of an English Old Ale... notes of leather and 19th century hardcover books, notably. Now, in the glass, we've got a fully integrated hop beast that has engaged its malts and just simply smells *enormous*. Fat and deep, and in wonderful balance aromatically.

Taste- All I can say is... *wow*... amazing... what a sublime example of what a fully mature, impeccably crafted beer could be. At first, the tongue receives a sweet, honey-like hop flavor that spreads gently across its surface. It then transforms to a chewy, rich, vintage quality that showcases a beautiful malt character along with the hops. Three + years of aging has all but eliminated any potential alcohol heat, as I swear this is drinking smoother than I ever would have expected. The finish goes on for days, the hop bitterness rich and complex, like an old wise man with a century's worth of wisdom.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Slick and smooth, easy down the throat and taking the obligatory back seat to a phenomenal flavor profile. This beer has provided an unforgettable tasting that I'm extremely thankful for, and I must give Andy's Corner Bar in Bogota another round of applause for having this on tap three years ago where I made the decision to grab one for the road. And DFH, way to go... this one certainly stood the test of time.

05-04-2007 04:18:43 | More by yelterdow
KKB

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

Alright, before I even crack this girl open, I have to remark: 18% alcohol? Kiss my mother loving grits, that is a dirty girl. I've been sitting on this beer for a while now, waiting for the right moment, and now, tonight, on a wonderful isolated Friday night, I shall indulge.

A - The appearance is a molasses orange peel with a milk-white head that is about a half of a finger. Great lacing, great retention.

S - The smell explodes with hoppiness and pine resin which overrides the immense alcoholic nature of this beverage, you can definitely smell the alcohol though (actually it's pretty in your face, especially as it warms), and there is a grapefruit quality to it as well.

T - Wow. Woah. Wee. Wowoahwee. This crosses the line between beer and liqueur. I've been told the difference maker with this beer is that you need to approach it with the right attitude, this is not a beer to chug, you need to take small sips, like your drinking whiskey. Entirely unique. The obvious flavor here is orange. I'm actually surprised at just how drinkable this is. And it's GOOD. My god is this good. But it's so different, I feel like it belongs in a class of it's own. Overwhelmingly bitter/sweet with a warming sensation that is no longer a warming sensation but an outright alcohol burn as it goes down into you. This might not be for everyone but it is for me...Towards the end the flavors become more and more sweet with almost a juicy fruity flavor to it and yet a big dry alcoholic finish. Crazy hops in this one, crazy alcoholic, great fruit flavors. I love this beer. So unique. So good. I am definitely going to pick up another one the next time I see it.

M - Full bodied to be sure, but I've had barley wines that are thicker and more gooey than this. It's owing to just the right amount of carbonation that keeps it from being bogged down. Just perfectly crafted.

O - What more can I say. I've never had anything like this in my relatively short beer drinking career. I can't compare it to the 60 or 90 minute because this beer is completely unlike them even while it is like them. I love this beer, it is a damn courageous undertaking for any brewer and it was created beautifully.

10-06-2012 03:18:23 | More by KKB
mpedara429

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours out an amber color with just the slightest haze. Only a small ring of off white head. Little head is to be expected from the light carb and high ABV.

S: Big maltiness. Sweet smells of pineapple and citrus.

T: Boozy bite is faintly present but it is an overall malty wonder. The sweet flavors of fruit that are present in the nose really come out here as well.

M: Heavy, sticky body and a light carb. Slight astringency from the booze.

O: Really fantastic and worth the hype (and pricetag).

06-25-2014 21:42:24 | More by mpedara429
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%

A- pours golden brown with no head. Looks like apple cider, actually. Cloudy/milky appearance, like coffee with a creamer or unfiltered apple juice.

S- Like smelling concentrated hop oil. You've never smelled a beer like this.

T- WOW. Taste kicks you in the face. What's surprising, though, is you taste the hops and a sweetness, but you don't taste the alcohol. You can taste it, however, after you exhale. This is more like 'hop juice' than it is a beer. This really is the holy grail for hop heads.. You have to try this just to experience the first sip. After the initial shock wears off and the alcohol numbs your tastebuds, the beer gets a little mellower and the flavors start to really work well.

M- Very nice, considering the alcohol content. Not too carbonated. Warm going down.

D- I'm mixed on this, it goes down very smooth considering it tops out at 20%, which is insane. You're better off splitting a bottle or only having 1 12 oz for yourself, though. Doing 2 of these in a night would almost certainly cause you a lot of problems. About 1/3 of the way through, my head started feeling really warm. This packs a ridiculous punch, which is compounded by its drinkability.

Final thoughts: I buy 4-6 of these a year. Good for a special occasion, but more than 1 of these a month and you'll overdo it. Still, these store every well, I have put a couple in storage and have been satisfied with how well they sit. Dogfish hits the bullseye with this beer and show again how they are on the forefront of brewing. An extreme extreme beer on steroids, this beer is not for the weak. I suggest you develop a taste for some of the higher DIPAs before you try and crack this one.

06-02-2009 00:46:18 | More by ShogoKawada
Bouleboubier

4.44/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Have had this maybe a handful of times - from undrinkable (the first time trying it, filtered through a Randall at the Rehoboth brewpub - tooo much!) to actually quite quaffable (as it was with last night's large pour).

A: generously served in a 12oz goblet (menu stated 8oz pour), it's a slightly hazy, copper-orange with a 1/2" slowly fading head with a vague cream-yellow tint. Moderate ringed lacing. One gets the sense that the beer is not light-drinking.

S: aggressively "hoppy" hop aromas, dank, resiny, piney/woody....vibrantly fruity - dried mango....smoothed-out, wort-y, hard-candy-like unfermentables, yet balanced wonderfully against the hops, with the alcohols and phenols present yet surprisingly understated

T/M: as in the smell, they really balanced everything out so well in this batch....actually does not come across nearly as bitter as it's billed - the malt sugars, several notches short of cloying, tone down the bitterness and perhaps the overall intensity of the citrus-resiny, silky-spicy hop flavor itself - that same malt foundation, while surprisingly allowing an almost roasty-nutty, cereal-like grain flavor to somehow poke through, also blankets the burn/bite of the high alcohol superbly - comforting alcohol warmth still manages to ribbon through 2/3 the way through each sip, but it's a creeper for sure....often, in past samplings, came across to me as "hop syrup", but this one was refreshingly on the drier side for once

O: certainly not for everybody, including myself....in the mood for an intense, rich, hoppy cordial of a beer? this is king....and when they nail it, they really nail it, and it's wonderful and an achievement in brewing to marvel at!...something to keep tuned in to batch-to-batch....

04-14-2013 20:21:05 | More by Bouleboubier