120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,347 | Reviews: 2,197
3.42/5  rDev -17%

This is the late 2011 batch of this beer - I had it on draft at American Craft.

A- Orange colored decently sized head, for the ABV 18%. Huge spider web like lacing.

S- Big front of malt character, then grapefruit/ mango hop notes.

T - The complexity of this beer made me anxious to try it on draft. The first and most lingering note is the hop flavor, but it drinks more liek a barley wine, with distinct malt flavors, that are present in most of dogfishhead's big IPAs. A barly wine/congac type of warmth radiates through you after drinking this, which is the only indication of a high 18% ABV.

M- The ABV is apparent, but its smooth and meant to be sipped as slow as you can go.

O - An extreme beer at 18% but more of a barley wine than an imperial IPA. It is priced at the top tier and it is very good, considering it should last you an hour.Note: This ruins all other beers.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

minimal head. hazy dark amber body.

very fruity boozy smells. apricot and a little spicyness do little to mask the booze.

apricot comes through. very boozy still. sweet almost molasses flavors. i think this one borders on the liquior category.

little carbonation and syrupy body. Not my type of beer, but def wow factor.

3.42/5  rDev -17%

A - Pours a very light copper. A little cloudy which is to expected with a hop monster like this. There was a bit of a white head but it quickly went down to lace ring.

S - Huge hop smell. Spicy lemons and other citrus fruits. Some flower like notes also.

T - Christ almighty its hop candy. The sweetness slaps you in the face. There is still plenty of hop character there. Piney hop presence but mostly the sweetness overwhelms. Not horrible but if I did not know better I would think its some super sweet malt liqour or something. With everything else going on I don't really get much bitterness out of it. Strange.

M - The mouthfeel is pretty silky. leaves mouth puckering piney resin on your tongue after every sip.

D - Like I said not horrible but it will be a chore to even get through this 12 oz bottle. If you do buy one leave it in a closet for like years. It might mature into something else. Then again maybe not. A unique brew for sure but don't know if I will ever get another one. 90 minute and 60 minutes are pretty good drinkable IPAs. This is something else entirely. Enter at your own risk.

3.42/5  rDev -17%

I love this beer for a few reasons.... the gootness factor(ABV%) and overload of hops!

The appearance is amazing .. lots of bubbles on the side of glass when poured , a very strong color orange and hardly no foam on top.

The smell is goot as well kinda like hoppy citrus with a bunch of alcohol.

Taste is kinda overpowering at 1st , very spicy hoppy pine smell with that alcohol kick. 90 min x 3.

Mouthfeel isnt the glory of this beer, the alcohol makes it tough and very carbonated in some way as well.

I would truely drink alot of these beers for some reason, the taste makes it very easy to drink and you kinda forget about the 21% in it after a while.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

wow i had this on draft last night at Capones

pours a pretty copperish color, a good amount of head

i really like hops, i just had kinda a hard time tasting it over the alcohol

very good beer but unlike other imperial/ double ipa's i could def smell and taste the alcohol

if you can get it check it out, but the price and the crazy high abv really make it hard for me to drink this beer

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Finally found this in Vegas.

I love the huge hop on the label. Way cool.

Pours a caramel/copper/apple juice color. The appearing head quickly vanishes to a few bubbles.

Aroma consists of sweet candy, prunes and alcohol. Reminds me of an old or strong ale.

Inital sweetness on the taste quickly kicks into a rush of candy and booze. There is a slight alcohol burn on the swallow. Definitely a sipping beer and a cigar would pair with this nicely.

Putting one back on my own was tough and would make most call it a night after one.

Overall the major sweetness and booziness was a hindrance in my enjoyment and my ability to call this a "world class" beer. Definitely happy I tried it though.

3.41/5  rDev -17.2%

I'm kind of all over the place with this beer, but here goes. I had it at Barcade in Brooklyn, NY, which is located on Union. Had to try it because I absolutely loved the 60 and 90 minute versions.

This is simply not my kind of beer, though I appreciate just how good this beer is. This was just way too strong and wine tasting for my likes. While it was extremely smooth, this simply is not how I want my IPAs to taste.

3.41/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle, '11 vintage, poured into a DFH IPA glass. I've had this fresh on tap before and really enjoyed it, 4.5/5. I aged this bottle for 2 years to compare.

Pours a murky brown-orange with some sediment which settles to the bottom of the glass. Small head of off-white color which dissipates quickly with minimal lacing.

Smell is sweet caramal, toffee, and vanilla. Strong alcohol aroma. Dark fruits and fig are present. Perhaps some dark chocolate. Very little hops. If blind I would have guessed the style to barrel-aged barleywine to be sure.

Taste is along the nose, with a sweet cloying caramel and toffee flavor accented by vanilla notes and dark fruits and chocolate. Again very little hop flavor, and little bitterness to balance the sweetness.

Mouthfeel is full, smooth, syrupy, low carbonation, cloying.

Overall, I can see how one who isn't a fan of ultra-hopped beers would prefer this brew aged to tone down the alcohol and bitter hoppy nature. However, 2 years on this has essentially turned this into an over-the-top barleywine. I'll take the fresh version every day of the week, this was a drain pour.

3.41/5  rDev -17.2%

This is hands down the most intense beer I have ever experienced in my life. Wow!

Poured into snifter, a deep amber color, clear, with thick light tan head. Great retention and lacing. A very good looking beer. Smell is intense of piney hops, citrus, sweetness, and alcohol. It almost smells like some sort of sweet, hard candy. Taste is similar. Strong, sweet, intense malt. Some caramel, candi sugar, and just general sweetness. A little bit of pineapple and/or general citric hops as it hits the back of the palate. Alcohol and a very warming/burning sensation as it goes down. Thick and creamy mouthfeel that I really enjoyed, somewhat velvety. Overall a drinkable beer in the sense that it is possible to drink this and enjoy it. Not drinkable in the sense of, "lets get a 6'er and slam it." This beer is intense and I think if you can drink this in less than 2 hours then you need to drink less.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at Lukas Liquor in Colorado and served into a nonical generic pint glass in me gaff in Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the hype, though I usually find Dogfish Head's beers are overrated.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger head of great cream, good thickness, and excellent retention considering the high ABV - it retains at least five minutes. Very impressive indeed. Bravo. Colour is a murky semitransparent copper-gold. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Hoppy, but not as much as expected. Floral character is dominant, with some malty sweetness. The bitterness is buried in there somewhere. No alcohol or yeast comes through. Fairly simple. A mild but fairly subtle strength aroma.

T: Extremely hoppy, bringing out the bitterness towards the climax. Structurally quite brief - the flavours are there for a moment but then they vanish. Malty sweetness helps hide the hop content and surprisingly little alcohol comes through. No yeast here. Clean malts form the backbone. Raw malts and sugars bleed into the finish, a poor effect here. It's very full-bodied - actually a bit overbearing, which is surprisingly for how consolidated the flavour is. No real pine or citrus comes through, just floral quality. It's shockingly simple for how monstrously hoppy they'd have us believe it is. Very little subtlety or complexity at all. I like it for what it is, but aside from how hidden the ABV is, there's little of note. Strangely balanced.

Mf: Quite oily, especially towards the back end. Smooth and wet, with some needed coarseness up front. Too slick towards the back end, allowing the flavours to escape all too easily. It gives you little time to enjoy what's there. Too heavy and overbearing on the palate. Makes my stomach feel a bit bloated. Slightly overcarbonated. Too thick.

Dr: Nowhere near as overtly hoppy as they'd have us believe - which is probably a good thing. It feels more like a sugar bomb than it does a hop bomb. It's alright, but it's not at all worth the hefty price tag. This is Dogfish Head's best beer? I'm really disappointed, though I'm getting used to that feeling with this brewery. I will say that it's shockingly drinkable for its well-hidden high ABV. It tastes like it's about 7.5-8.0%. It doesn't live up to its hype, but it remains a decent IPA. I wouldn't buy this again.

B-

An okay candidate for aging, as far as IPAs go.

Drank fine out of a nonical pint glass. I don't think there's any glass that'll do much better.

Best paired with food. Perhaps an acidic salad. Fresh apples.

3.41/5  rDev -17.2%

I think I'm a beer addict. Notice I didn't say "alcoholic;" although I get the occasional urge to get drunk, my real weakness is beer. So I should know better than to log onto BA when all I have in the fridge is my roommate's Bud Light. Also, it was after 2 a.m., so I had no chance of getting any good beer here in Ohio.

I read a few reviews, and found myself craving beer. I thought ANY beer would soothe me, so I tried a Bud Light for the second time in my life. Needless to say, it did nothing for me. So I tried another one. Again, nothing. (Side note: to say Bud Light has as much flavor as seltzer water is an overstatement.) Then I remembered: I have a 12 oz bottle of DFH 120 min in my cabinet! I put it in the freezer and went back to BA.com to check out some reviews of DFH 120. I was surprised to learn that a full 2.4 oz of my bottle was pure alcohol. I hadn't known that when I bought it. I read some reviews, and grew a little apprehensive about trying it; there was a lot of fluctuation in the scores, from a 2.4 to a 5.0.

My bottle says it was brewed in 2003. It's now *early* morning on June 24, 2004.

About 30-40 minutes after putting the beer in my freezer, I took it out and poured it. Perfect temperature. A nice thick head developed. I took a few big sniffs, and it immediately reminded me of the Hitachino Nest New Year's Celebration Ale (2004). Sweet. Spices. Not very much that I could call "hoppy," although I'm still learning what hops are all about.

Taste: Again, very reminiscent of the HN Celebration Ale. Not as much ginger flavor, but sweet, almost too sweet. In a blind taste test, I would classify this as liquor, not beer, but I would be hard pressed to say what kind of liquor this is. Very unique flavor. I still don't taste what I would call "hops," but again, what I know of hops comes from Stone's Ruination IPA. Mouthfeel is that of thick liquor, like carbonated Jagermeister. Drinkability is also that of liquor; I would say 12 oz is way to much to drink in one sitting.

Overall, I would say this is a good once- or twice-a-year beer. As far as IPAs go, I prefer DFH's 60 minute offering. For a strong IPA, I'd say Stone's Ruination is as good as it gets. This just isn't a pale ale.

3.41/5  rDev -17.2%

appearance:
A gorgeous orange-amber, almost perfectly clear but for a slight suggestion of haze (which I attribute to its viscosity rather than anything in suspension). Not much head to speak of from the pour, but a dense, creamy head is generated by swirling the glass. The liquid coats the glass and leaves behind a sticky archipelago of foam. Tiny bubbles rise from the bottom of the Piraat tulip I'm sampling this brew from.

smell:
Easily my least favorite aspect of this massive brew, sorry to say. There's sweet rolls (with icing), and orange candy slices, and the expected DFH nuttiness, and something meaty and gravy-like, and enough alcohol to curl my nose hairs...and an earthiness that brings both "wet cardboard" and "Fuggles aftertaste" to mind. As a West-coast double IPA veteran of long standing, I was expecting a heady and bludgeoning hop aroma (which probably just means that my expectations were way off base).

taste and mouthfeel:
Sweetness first and foremost, redolent of sweet rolls and marzipan, and when the alcohol kicks in the flavor morphs into something like a Grand Marnier with a bit less orange. Then the hops break in (have mercy!) like a brass section recorded in a parking garage-- rolling, booming, loud as hell, but blurry and indistinct. The bitterness is much more floral than the nose led me to believe. Mouthfeel is full, oily, and luxurious, as befits flavors this huge. The finish lasts forever with the bitter winning out over the sweet, though the lingering flavor is of roasted nuts (pine, filbert, brazil).

drinkability:
Too much of everything leaves my palate tingling and saturated. This is a beer I might crave in another 6 months or so, but I can't imagine having more than one in an evening. Or a week. I'll break one out of my stash in another year or so, to see how it's aging. If it dries out, I could see bumping the drinkability score up to 3 or maybe even 3.5.

3.41/5  rDev -17.2%

12oz bottle, notch between "03 and '04 for bottling date.
Wow. Pours a deep, honey gold color. Gooey, bright white head is very dense and recedes quickly leaving spatters of lace behind.
Carbonation slowly streams up, struggling thru the oily viscocity.
Very yeasty aroma at first which seems to blow off with a few swirls and is replaced by a sharply alcoholic blast of floral hop.
First rush of flavor is intensly citrus- grapefruit concentrate and mandarin oranage mixed with big dose of alcohol that cleans the sinuses. Ultra sweet alcohol and more apricot like flavors move in followed by scorching pepper hop and flaming alcohol to finish it out. Very full bodied and heavy on the tongue. Just too much going on to savor - flavors too intense.
Way over the top and difficult to drink for me. So much alcohol is distracting and not really enjoyable. Almost sickeningly sweet , massive hop flavors and over the top alcohol all sound like things I might enjoy but doesnt really work for me here. Hard for me to finish 12oz. I should have saved this bottle and shared it w/ 2 or 3 others. Sipping 3-4 oz and saying " Holy shit!" w/ friends is the way to go w/ this beer.

3.41/5  rDev -17.2%

An intense experience. Definitely one to savour and serve in small amounts. Cloudy golden coloured with a head that fades fast. Intense alcohol and hop aromas that are resinous. The flavour is huge bitter hops - oily and rich with a spike on the back palette. The alcoholic warmth starts deep within the pit of the stomach and travels all the way up to the cheeks. Next time I try it will be in front of a fire with a huge cheese platter.

3.41/5  rDev -17.2%

Poured into a 13 OZ tulip, bottled in 2011u. Pours a clear orange red, with a two inch sticky white head, with plenty of lacing. Smell is huge apricot, tangerine, hard candy, grapefruit, and booze. Taste is wow Hardy candy, boiled grapefruit, and baked apricot. Body is medium large, with enough life considering the giant ABV, not overly dry, and a sipper for sure. This is a legend of a beer, that could use a few more years to mature.

Executive Review:

Note: 2004 Vintage

Appearance: Very hazy amber pour into a chalice; I can barely see my finger on the other side. Thin head that reduces to a film. Lacing is actually not as persistent as I had anticipated.

Smell: Wow - this smells somewhat like one of those J.W. Lees numbers. Very malty, almost musty aroma. Caramel/butterscotch notes in there as well.

Taste: You know, it almost tastes like one of those Harvest Ales. This is nothing like the green, fresh 120 Minute IPA to which I'm accustomed. This is like an aged barleywine or strong ale. Quite malty - butterscotch again - with very little noticeable hop character but in the final second where the bitterness surfaces.

Mouthfeel: Sticky, sticky, sticky. I need to brush my teeth.

Drinkability: Riiight. One and done. GREAT evening sipper, however.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 32oz growler into a snifter.

A: Initially foams up, but that drops off pretty fast. Dark gold body that looks resinous, but sadly leaves no legs.

S: Suprising amount of citrus and zesty hops jump out at once...only to be squashed by big booze and residual sticky sugars.

T: Yup, more of the same here. Hops show up first (and they really do taste nice), but the vodkaesque heat drowns them without mercy. Sweetness here is pretty out of control too.

D: Goes down hot and biting, but it isn't as rough as I had thought it would be. Mouthfeel is way to thick for a DIPA.

Overall: Its tough to rate this one. It really isn't as harsh as it could be, and I'm guessing the softness of the tap may have something to do with that. However, I've tasted beers into the 15% range that were incredibly balanced. I know this is harder, but there is just about ZERO balance in this bomb. 'Hop vodka' is a little harsh, but don't attempt this one without a wingman.

3.4/5  rDev -17.5%

A: Brown/Amber with little to no head.

S: Brown sugar, piney hops, malt, booze (orange liqour)

T: Sugar, Carmel, just a hint of full blown hoppyness. Warm boozy (Orange liqour) finish. Had no idea that the hops would just make this taste like beer mixed with simple syrup.

M: could use a bit more carbonation. sticky, chewey.

D: Everyone should try this once, but thats about it. I'm still cringing at the thought of another full bottle... way to sweet. Took over an hour to finnish 12oz. The absurdley high ABV is hidden to some extent by the sweetness.

3.4/5  rDev -17.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (February 23, 2010). "Bottled on: 10/05/09" is printed on the neck of the bottle.

An extremely high ABV DIPA, that brewer Sam Calagione stated was brewed as an experiment to create the highest alcohol content possible while producing " a product that still tastes like beer." I really enjoy the DFH 90 Minute IPA, but I must admit I'm not always a fan of brewing "experiments."

Eyes: Pours an extremely hazy, near opaque dark orange with minimal head. The fluffy foam dissipates quickly and doesn't lace at all. I'm sure the near 20% ABV is responsible for the lack of head.

Nose: A very malty sweet, grapefruit infused, floral hop aroma overall. I'malso struck by how boozy it smells. Earthy notes of dry fruit and some subtle pine.

Tongue: Very intense and boozy, a sippin' beer for sure. Tastes of a strong, syrupy caramel, and some citrus hops. Unfortunately the booze and malts push the hops aside a bit too much for me.

Mouth: Thick, syrupy, and pasty. Low carbonation, which would help if it were a bit more bubbly. I can't get past the alcohol either.

Libation: As I stated previously, this is a sippin' beer. I really, really like DIPAs, but this is just to much of an experiment for me. According to Sam Calagione, this beer is "dry hopped every day for a month" but it still seems much more malty sweet than hoppy. I truly appreciate some aspects of the 120, but maybe I'm just not ready for this sort of punch in the mouth yet. I'm not sure I'll ever be ready for it.

3.4/5  rDev -17.5%

The bar I frequent got a 1/6 keg of this, so I was very excited. I knew it was rare to find this beer on tap anywhere.

A: Pours a cloudy, amber body with a nice, white head with excellent retention and excellent lacing along the sides of the glass all the way to the finish.

S: Smelled a little sweet and fairly malty. Not too much of a hop presence noted in the smell.

T: A very strong alcoholic taste. Any note of malts and hops were overpowered by the high alcohol content of this beer. While most people find this beer appealing because of it, I feel that it takes away from the overall enjoyment of the brew.

M: A very good, smooth and silky mouthfeel that was very pleasant and went down easy.

D: This beer would be a whole lot better if the high alcohol content was not as evident in the taste. I understand that 21% is ridiculously high and that it would be a challenge to mask it, but the alcohol content needs to be hidden a little bit in order to truly enjoy the greatness of this beer. While it was smoother on tap than it was from a bottle, alcohol content is still way too evident.

Opened this years (2011) into a snifter
Pours a nice head deep in color leaving a string of lace are the glass. Smells very boozy and citrisy.
Taste is boozy and pretty hot, i honestly think this yrs taste more like the olde school barleywine than an ipa, a little thicker and malty than crisp and hoppy, i mean i def get the hop feel but not like previous yrs working so well
Very sweet i get candied sugar right away super sweet and bitter very very nice!

Bottled 05.01.09
Drank 05.07.11

I opened this beer about 6pm at home while settling into to watch the final race of Derby Day. It was my first beer of the day and I poured it into a DFH snifter.

A = dark amber - dusty. not transparent. little to no head and little carbonation. minimal lacing.

S = citrus, alcohol. more like a B.wine as opposed to an IPA. must to due to the faded hop presence.

T = Big, Bold and Syrup like. caramel, molasses, & sweet sugars.

M = Again, big and bold - not a fan of the mouthfeel. somewhat oily. little to no carbonation.

O = I've had this beer a handful of times before. I recall most pleasurable experience to be fresh, on draft at Ebenezer's in Maine. I thoroughly enjoyed this tasting although I'm not certain age improves this beer. As well documented on BA, age fades hopes...if your a fan of big HOP flavors, drinking this fresh is your best bet. Still, it's rarity and limited aviability make it a treat and I will always say yes when offered.

3.4/5  rDev -17.5%

Took me a great deal of searching but I finally tracked down a bottle a couple months back

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

A- pours a somewhat cloudy burnt orange, small white head appears but quickly dissipates into a ring around the top of the beer, spotty lacing sticks to the glass

S- super sweet smelling as a lot of the beers at this high of ABV are, caramel, oak/ woodiness, very slight citrus grapefruit notes bring up the tail

T- incredibly syurpy sweet, the follow up is a ton of booze, makes it difficult to manage at times and i'm not taking incredibly large sips, vanilla and caramel notes hit the tongue as the beer continues to warm, not really impressed on the flavor

M- very heavy mouthfeel, surprisingly high amount of carbonation, the combination of alcohol and hops is mouth bruising and not in a good way

O- i feared that this was going to be a disappointment based on what i have read previously, turns out the reviews were right, even taking liquor-like sips it is difficult to enjoy the little aspects of the beer because it punches you in the mouth and overwhelms the palate, i do not mind the sweet but they have to find some way to tone it down

3.4/5  rDev -17.5%

A - This beer poured a copper orange color that produced a foamy white head that had good retention and laced the side of the glass nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer were not as over the top hoppy as I imagined, but still a good bit of citrus and pine hop flower aroma was present

T - The taste of this beer was too boozy, too much malty sweetness, and not near enough hops to call this beer a good DIPA

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium to heavy body with a light amount of carbonation

D - The drinkability of this beer is low, I can't see how this beer has a big following

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Just this past Friday this beer emerged from the fridge and was consumed in the fine company of friends also trying it.

A- it pours out a thick mahogany and amber with a strong and dense white head. No sparkle from the carbonation though.

S- YOWZA! The alcohol presence is very noticeable and takes some of the hop aromas hostage.

T- It's pure liquid power. The enormous hop profile teams up this time with the alcohol and they assault your tongue. However your tongue will come out victorious- it's not overwhelming or anything.

M- A warm and somewhat soothing burn describes how it feels.

D- I'd call this a novelty beer. I'm happy I got to try it but having even two of these in a night would incur roaring drunkenness!

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery