120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,153 | Hads: 7,593

12oz bottle

This beer poured a thick creamy white finger sized head with a surprisingly clear amber red/orange body.

The nose was very fruity. Citrus, lemons, limes, some sharp pepper, round malt, yeast. A nice big maltyness. Not as much of a hop presence at the name would suggest, but it was definitely there.

The taste was a big thick doughy malt. Full bodied, but very easy drinking. A sugary sweet caramel malt taste. A firm alcohol warmth. Tight black pepper, citrus hop. An even bitterness that comes out more as it warms. but the sugary sweet malt really dominates over the hop in this beer. This beer does not taste 20% at all.

It took me over an hour to finish this beer and it really took on a different character as it warmed. The hops came out a bit more, but still.. the sweet malt dominates over the hop.

I'd really be interested in aging this beer a few years. I could see the sweetness blending amazingly with the hop to form almost a hop candy taste.
Good beer, but I'd take the 90 minute over this any day.

2011 vintage on-tap at the brewpub

A - Served with a ruby body that had some clarity to it...the head was little and off white in color...it settled to a thin ring and stayed most of the beer...some very light lacing was left behind

S - The nose is very sweet, perfume-like, and boozy...there are hop notes (of course), honey, caramel, tea, and alcohol

T - Again, there are sweet notes all around...it's syrupy sweet...the hops are there but they don't come out as much as you would expect in a big IPA like this...the honey/caramel/toffee flavors cover up most of the hop flavors...a bitterness does come through at the end though...there is also a coffee/burnt toffee flavor that I'm picking up right before the finish...it does finish big and strong

M - Medium bodied...sweet and syrupy...boozy and bitter

O - I'll start by saying I'm glad I got to try this...I've always heard mixed feelings about this beer and now I can have my own opinion...I knew this was going to be a big beer...and it was...I feel the flavor of the hops got lost...there is too much honey/caramel flavors going on that it hides the hops...the alcohol presence is also big in this beer and it provides that warming sensation...I ordered this as my last beer knowing it would be big and it took me awhile to sip on it...I think I'll stick to the 60 or 90 Minute versions (75 when I'm back in Rehoboth!)

3.38/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz into snifter
A Golden straw with very little head
S A bit sweet, a bit yeasty, not a whole lot here.
T Sweet, very little hops, almost a bit smokey, hides the booze very well.
M Thought it would be thicker, could stand a bit more carbonation.
O A bit disappointed, best thing you can say about this is it hides the booze very well.

3.38/5  rDev -14.6%

12oz. split with Melchizedek served in wine glasses.

Really nice color with good head given the amazing abv dissolved to patches of lace after awhile. Nice peach golden orange color.

Smell is a lot of hops and alcohol as you'd expect, but balanced with a syrupy maltiness that's kind of like sweet brandy. Hops are really citrusy and sticky, with a backbone that's very piney.

Taste is dominated by fruity hops and above all else, alcohol obviously, but not in a bad way. Very much like liquor, but still pretty tasty and refreshing.

Chewy sticky mouthfeel that leaves a little bit of a film on your teeth it seems. REALLY warming alcohol, as you'd imagine.

After about 6 or 7 oz. of this, I'm ready to move on. The alcohol mixed with the hops are just too much for me to want to drink more than 1 or 2 of this one.

Reviewed 1/14/2008 (bottled 3/30/06, aged in a cool fridge):

Pours a light red body, clear, small white head. Dark fruit plummy aroma, sweet, some alcohol, no hops whatsoever. Strong sweet flavor, some flavors like roasted, dark fruit. Almost woodsy. Some alcohol. (bottled 5/10/07, aged in a cool fridge) Pours a darker red color, white head, small & not lasting. Very hoppy aroma, bitter. Very hoppy taste, non-sweet grapefruit aftertaste. Some alcohol, some dark fruit. More balanced.

3.38/5  rDev -14.6%

It pours a medium amber, with pretty decent head for a beer this powerful. Some sticky lacing stays on the glass. The smell is strong with sweet fruit -- apricot, raisin and fig. A bit of spicy hop, like Chinook maybe, but not as much as you'd expect for a beer that proclaims to be "the holy grail for hopheads." Taste is very sweet, too much for an Imperial IPA, with strong orange and tangerine, and finishes with pepper. The mouthfeel has some alcohol heat, stabs at your tongue and leaves a light burn down your throat, almost like bourbon.

Does it want to be loved or feared? I think feared.

3.38/5  rDev -14.6%

This ale poured a copper brown color with golden highlights and a tight white head that left some lacing on the glass. The aroma was malty sweet with some notes of citrus and a hint of alcohol. The taste started with a rush of malty sweetness and some honey and molasses flavors along with a good slap of alcohol. This was followed by a mellowing of the alcohol and the coming forward of flavors of passion fruit, plums, raisons, and the first hint of citrus and floral hops. The finish had a bit more hop flavor but not enough to override the sweetness of the malt and the power of the alcohol. The aftertaste was warming with a lingering sweetness and fruitiness along with a feeble last attempt of the hops to assert themselves. The mouthfeel was sticky, not quite heavy enough to be called syrup, with a medium heavy body that had some chewiness to it.
Overall this was far from what I expected. If I didn’t know before hand what this was I would have thought I was drinking a very young barleywine. I would like to lay down a few 750s and try them in a few years to see how this one matures. My hats off to Dogfish for the attempt but I don’t think I would call it an IPA (strong dark ale perhaps?).

3.38/5  rDev -14.6%

2005 bottle, no date marked, and couldn't wait past the 3 months I had it, in a tulip glass.

Clear gold-copper body with bubbles rising upward, topped with a one-finger off-white head that retains nicely and permanently, though lacing is weak. Nose is caramel with fragrant florals and a more subtle citrus hop, nicely balanced.

Light carbonation in a thin but refreshing body, caramel sweetness and biscuits overpowering whatever bitterness there is supposed to be in here, resulting in IBUs perceived as much lower than the 90-minute. Goes down with a rush of piney spice and activity, the first time with a nice warmth, subsequently the spice alone. Lingers satisfyingly.

Not as hoppy as I expected, nor as it should be, a little on the sweet side. Alcohol is masked very well, and quite drinkable. Ended up sipping it though, not really sessionable. Can't really compare it to the 90 or 60, either, as the purposes are totally different. With that said, saving the rest for special occasions, and probably will cellar it "for a decade or so" as the label suggests.

12 oz pour into my duvel tulip
pours a hazy amber, with about 4 fingers of head that settles qucikly into a dense lace
Smell is all hops and booze. both stong but a bit more hops.
Taste is firewater, all alcohol, with just an after taste of hops. I was expecting a tongue wrenching hop blast but this just tastes like high octane 60 min. Its good, i can get some citrus, and pine from it, but little to no malt, and it mostly just booze burn.
Mouthfeel is thick, and raw, burns, i like it, but not what i look for in a beer.
Actually a bity more drinkable that i expected, if i broke this down into something like a 8 oz pour into a brandy snifter i could enjoy 2 or three in a night, but 12 ozs at once is a bit much.
Overall a tad better than i expected. I had figured this to be a highly overrated, overhopped, out of balance mess of a beer. Its ot over hopped, it is out of balance but in a good way, I like it, and will probally will keep a couple bottles around to sip on in front of the fire after dinner.

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%

12oz bottle, $8 Woodman's Madison, WI.

Cloudy amber, thick mouthfeel and smells like laundry detergent.
Incredible hop taste, sweet pine, leaves sugary taste on my lips, like a candy.
Very sweet and super strong.
The aroma isn't as strong as the taste.
I know I should be sipping this one, but it's going down very well.
I have one more bottle, which I plan to age. That might be difficult.
Drinkability: Drink this one slow.

--- one year later re-review ---
Aged for one year in my basement.
A beautiful orange color with slight cloudiness. Dense white foamy head that turns clumpy eventually settling out.

Mild rubbing alcohol aroma.
Thick mouthfeel leaves a lingering sweetness on my lips.
Bitter fruit flavors and tartness can be detected if you can get past the strong alcohol flavor. Let it just sit in your mouth for awhile.

Intense heat once the air combines with it.

Dry apple aftertaste. Sip slowly.

Aging one year didn't mellow this out much at all.
The most intense alcohol flavor I've ever had from a beer.
Personally I'd rather pay for the 60 or 90 min, but I'm glad I had the opportunity to try this one.

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%

A- Pours a light golden to amber color. Very thick exterior head with much larger bubbles towards the center. 2 finger head that looks very glossy and leaves an amazing lace on the glass.

S- Very floral beer, much orange peel and honey coming through.

T- Very sweet, orange, hop/pine flavors, with a long citrus-bittering finish. A little too sweet to start, but finishes nice with tons of flavor. Almost over-powering.

M- Decent carbonation, light-medium body, much alcohol coming through.

D- Easy to start off, but almost difficult to finish. Very strong, sweet, piney beer. Great, in small amounts.

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%

It pours a cloudy orange amber. Not much of a head, but there is some lace left behind.

Very strong pinecone-like hop smell--very fresh. This is too strong to detect much malt or alcohol.

This has the sweetness of fruit punch with a slight hop counter point. This is, for me, too much of a good thing. Strong alcohol warmth in the aftertaste along with the pine hop. Still, the sweetness prevails. Almost oily in the body with low carbonation.

This is an interesting beer, with extreme flavors all around. It is difficult to finish because of it overbearingness. I would say it is worthy of a one time try.

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%

Finally found one of these at a local liquor store. I poured the sweet hoppy brew from a 12oz bottle into a wine glass and was immediately struck by the deep resiny hop aroma. The color was deep amber with an off white head that fell into a ring around the glass and left significant lacing.
Another whiff of the ale rendered even more hoppy aroma with a deep dark almost smoky note from the malt. The hop aroma was complex but pleasant and the strong alcoholic content is revealed in the nose of this formidable heavy hitter.

The first sip overwhelms with hop flavor then fades into a syrupy sweet malt taste. This is a heavy slow sipping drink. The hop flavor is resiny, piney, and vegetal. The malt is super sweet and smoky. The malt seems to outweigh the hop bitterness in my opinion, leaving this ale a little too sweet. Despite this perceived flaw this is still an excellent beer that any IPA lover should try at least once. The drinkability is low given the extreme flavor and alcohol percent. I would recommend sharing a 12 oz serving between two people. After half of this beer my taste buds felt numb and burnt out. In summary, if you love hops try this beer, if not forget it.

2011 Vintage

Served very chilled. Drinking slow to get a good taste profile across the entire spectrum in hopes of experiencing changing flavors. Poured a medium, medium/dark non-translucent golden amber. It appears to be totally filtered. As with high ABV brews, there was virtually no head. First smells are of undiscernable citrus (grapefruit?), booziness, sweetness, VERY MILD hops and a noticeable maltiness. The tastes are incredibly boozy. The hoppiness definitely gets drowned out by the alcohol tastes. Citrus, grapefruit, tangerine tastes are very strong. I still believe hoppy beers are best enjoyed with a moderate booziness. The mouthfeel is average. It is definitely syrupy and there is little to no carbonation. A decent beer overall (although not a proto-typical iIPA) But as a hophead, I'm disappointed in what is generally regarded as one of the best IPAs. I'm glad I tried it again to reaffirm my original thoughts, but at $10.99 a 12oz'er, I'll probably opt for something else next time unless I ran across it on tap.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

smells and tastes very sweet (almost too sweet) and very alcoholly. very syrupy and a sipper only. I had to try this due to the hype but honestly it's not worth it. I love beer and can drink a lot but I can't drink much of this 12oz bottle and will toss the 2nd half. I can't finish this and will have something else instead.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

So here it is, the 120.

Comes in a 12 fluid ounce glass with a neon green Dogfish Head logo "warning sign" cap. Says it ages well. Bottled on 11/06/08, so its realatively fresh. If this one doesn't go over well I'm definitely keeping one of these to cellar for a few years. It has just under a year under it's belt since it has been bottles. I would also want to try a completely fresh version of this.

Upon uncapping there is a rampant syrupy cough medicine scent. I pour it into an over-sized wine glass, has a small 1 finger head that dissipates within a minute leaving behind some speckled lacing. The lacing is very gooey, expecting a high sugar content. The beer itself is a nice dense copper/orange. There is a fair amount of yeast visible.

Initial smell was medicinal when I uncapped it but in the glass it has a decent amount of hops, and some sweet malt along with an uneconomical blast of alcohol that stings the nostrils. The hops are fruity, citrusy, and a bit spicy. You can smell the massive amount of dry-hopping that went into this brew. The malt is decidedly rummy and mixes with the alcohol.

Has a creamy, thick, and chewy mouthfeel. Not enough carbonation. Surprisingly the taste is hoppier than expected, although still dominated by cloying sweet malts though. Initial drink gives some major sweetness and some hops but on the second you can pick out a lot of citrus and tropical fruits. The alcohol serenades the tongue and intensifies the sweetness. Ends with a dry finish with some bittersweetness. It actually mellows sip after sip, probably the alcohol acting up, haha.

Overall this is one bad motherfucker, I would recommend a half bottle for yourself, and the other half to share. Its a slow sipper with just enough hops on the palate to make it worthwhile. Just pure intensity.

3.36/5  rDev -15.2%

Appearance: It glows in my glass, light red minimal carbonation and no head, fairly clear.

Smell: Alcohol, oranges, paint?

Taste: Super sweet off the bat. I was expecting the sourest, hoppy trip ever.Not bad.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and chewy, almost syrupy.

Drinkability: I should have mentioned, this is 07's. In my opinion a little better than 06. It goes down VERY slow. A good beer.

Had in a bottle.

A: A hazy yellow brown color with very minimal head and whatever head was there, quickly dissipated.

S: It kind of reminded me of the smell you get from hand sanitizer. Lots of alocohol. There were a good amount of hop presence but the alcohol pressence surpasses it.

T: There are plenty of citrus hops up front, followed but some malt to sort of balance it out, but alcohol taste is ever so prevalent.

M: Leaves a 'burning' feeling on the palate and back of throat. This is obviously expected.

D: A one and done, took awhile to drink it. If you enjoy extreme beer, this is a must try, maybe I am more of a wuss, but this was a tad too extreme for me.

3.36/5  rDev -15.2%

Poured into a sniffer, 2008 vintage.

Appearance: Poured clear copper with small flakes, topped with an off white head that quickly fades.

Aroma: Booze and more booze, with sweet caramel malt, and still resiny hops.

Taste: Surprisingly not as boozy as the aroma would lead on, however, it's really sweet. Caramel, toffee, and bread with a piney hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Viscous and syrupy with a hot cloyingly sweet finish.

Overall: An experience for sure, but not something I could ever finish by myself. Even with 4 of us, we couldn't finish the bottle.

3.36/5  rDev -15.2%

Hazy amber with a one finger head with surprisingly good attention and lacing, for such a high abv beer. The aroma has sweet caramel, bitter citrus hops, pine, and a bit of vinegar.

Thankfully the vinegar does not show up in the taste. There is caramel, citrus hop flavor, sugar, and citrus zest. Definitely on the too sweet side for me, but not bad otherwise.

Full bodied, low carbonation, with a bitter aftertaste. Definitely not as good as 60 minute or 90 minute IPA, but not that bad either.

3.36/5  rDev -15.2%

Diggin a friggin hole in my back yard tryin to find a water leak when I decided that I deserve a beer. Been waiting to try this one. Bottled 07/07/08.

Looks like melted caramel, just a lighter shade. Looks incredibly thick. Small head of small bubbles, short lived. Has several shades actually. Or layers would be more correct. Like an ogre. Reminds me of pulp or mulch.

Can't place the smell. It doesn't smell like hops. Taking a sniff burns the eyes, alcohol I believe. Smells like some form of resin or glue. Not what I was expecting from reading the label.

Tastes like it smells. Resin or glue. A slight hint of hops way at the end. I'm baffled with this. Gotta look it up. <Checks out 120 Min on Beer Advocate> Ok, so I'm an asshole. It's the MONSTER 21% ABV that's kicking my ass. And kicking my ass some more. I thought I would be drinking a DIPA like Pliny or something. Expected way more hop flavor.

Very syrupy. Seriously. Drinkability is actually pretty good considering the atomic amount of alcohol in this puppy.

So this beer is strange for me. I gave it fairly low marks but I would love to get it again.

Overall: an experience

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

Served in a wine glass, poured from a bottled, bottled date of 10/7/07.

I have been wanting to try this beer for a while and decided that celebrating a new job was a worthy occasion for this pricey beer. $9.99 for the bottle.

Poured a deep deep orange, reminded me of the 90 minute, but more opaque. The smell was sweet and floral. Taste was sweet and tangy. If i were to blindly taste this, i would not think it was an ipa. I agree with some other posters that it tastes like a barleywine.

The first half of the bottle went down smooth and I tasted notes of pineapple. By the 2nd half, I think the booze was kicking in and my taste receptors shut down a bit. However it was very drinkable considering the ABV.

Overall I think is a bit too sweet for my tastebuds. I much prefer the 90 minute which i think is the quinnesential IPA.

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

12 oz bottle split with a friend.

Pours a frothy half finger head that diminishes, but sticks around. Beer is a hazy, deep amber color that shifts to a light brown in the heart of the glass.

You can smell this one a mile away. Strong sweet, caramel aroma. Orange, floral/flower. almost sugary sweet smell. Sturdy alcohol is in the mix.

Very sweet malt taste is the first thing noticed. Caramel again. Slight sourness and alcohol break up the sweetness somewhat, but not enough. Grapefruit hoppiness is prevalent in the aftertaste. I'm tempted to give this a 3.0 on taste, but it's definitely not average.

I like the oily, thick texture of this beer. The carbonation breaks it up well, and I was genuinely surprised by the level of carbonation. With the ABV up around 20%, I was thinking carbonation would be more like a barleywine. My 6 oz was really hard to get down as it warmed. The alcohol and sweetness is a bit too much (and I like scotch clean). Maybe I should consider style with my drinkability rating, but it truly was hard to finish off. A super slow sipper. I couldn't imagine trying to drink 12 oz of this. Definitely worth a try if you spot it.

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

Is there any reason why this one has a clever warning symbol painted on the cap?

Poured into my Duvel tulip glass, a very dark amber color with light foam that settled into a thin cap, only to disappear completely very quickly. A quick swirl of the glass brings the foam back, and some nice carbonation is is created from the laser etching in the glass. Upon taking a big whiff of this thing, it's surprising not all hops and no malt. In fact it's the opposite. First hit is of strong, warming alcohol, followed by big bready malts, and then the floral, piney hop smell.

Good lord, what have I gotten myself into? This is the most extreme beer I've ever tasted. It's VERY sweet. Almost too sweet for a DIPA. I don't know if I could consider it that, as it's more along the lines of a barley wine. Maybe they should create a new category just for this beer known as TIPA (Triple India Pale Ale).

Malts are very present, lots of caramel flavor, very bready and thick. Hops are a mega-blast of resinous hop oil, slightly fruity, but mostly sweet with lots of candied-sugar and maple syrup flavors. Alcohol warming is deep and very present.

Mouthfeel is thick, chewy, very full-bodied - syrupy. There's somewhat average carbonation by the look, but very hard to feel on the tongue.

Obviously this is a one-off beer only. There's no way I could drink more than one in a sitting and not lose my head. Alcohol is just way to high and it's WAY too sweet.

I'm not sure what to think about this one. I kinda like, but I want to hate it. It's big. It's ballsy. And yes, it's extreme. But are there many more redeeming qualities?

Not many.

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

A bit over the top in most categories, this beer is less an IPA and more a barleywine in taste. Rather than belabor its high ABV let's just say that the body feel is a bit too thick and syrupy, the sweetness not balanced too well by the hops, and its drinkability very limited by all of these factors. I'll try again at some point to see if my sense of this beer changes.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery