120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,122 | Hads: 7,431

location- buddies couch.
bottling date-07/08/08
split four ways, i get the last pour. pours an impenetrable amber. mine (full of sediment) was the color of a dirty brown apple cider. no head, but a thin, swamp like film. the smell is strong strong strong. rubbing alcohol? elmers glue? paint thinner? strong toffee/caramel and sweet floral hops, all overpowered by the alcohol content. luckly, the taste isn't as jacked up. taste is good. caramel, hot booze, cider. some cognac like qualities, nice, but deadly. chewy and thick. strong toffee and caramel malt as it warms and much more drinkable at room temp. i could go without the smell, but all in all an interesting experience. at nine bucks a pop, i won't be getting another until a fresh batch comes out, but it was cool to try an aged one. (796 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass, thanks to demcorhip for this one, I've been wanting to try it for a long time. Bottled 03/29/06.

Pours a hazey orange colour, very murky with lots of sediment. Medium carbonation from what I can tell. 1/4 inch head subsides to a lace that thinly coats the top and the glass. Nose is lovely and hoppy, citric and floral, and a funkiness I can't quite put my finger on. There's definitely a sweet toasted caramel backbone, and the Alcohol makes itself evident, but I guess it would be hard for it not to. The nose is great, but much more subtle and muted than I thought it would be.

Taste is whooo, really sweet. Wow. I was not expecting the huge sweet malt presence here, but that's what it's all about. Caramel, plum, honey, dark fruitiness, and yes, that monstrous warming alcohol all appear in great quantities. I really feel like the hops are so well balanced as to not be as detectable as in some hop monsters. Yes, there's a bitterness in the finish, and if you search really hard though all the sugariness, there's some mellow orange peel bitterness and a lovely floral character, but not nearly the bitterness I was hoping for. Mouthfeel is thick, creamy and a little syrupy, then the palate dries in the finish. Carbonation is a bit more than I'd like, but maybe it's not the carbon that's making my palate numb. Lord knows that I would not want more than one of these, and it's an all-night sipper to be sure.

Final verdict: This is an extreme beer, and as such, I can respect it for what it is. It's way to sweet for my palate, and even though I don't find the sweetness awkward or cloying, it's just too much sugar. Also, I wanted a much more brazen, out of control hop bomb, and this to me is more like a barleywine. All that said, wow, I'm buzzed, and I still have half a glass to go. (1,847 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a bright honey-gold with a thin, lasting head and tiny, tiny microbubbles throughout. Aroma is fruity citrus and pale malt, not that much different than other IPAs. No trace of alcohol in the nose (more noticeable as it warms, though).

Taste is very strong, sweet malts and orangey hops with a fair dose of candy sugar. Very nice hop presence without being too cloying or overpowering with bitterness. Taste reminds me of a very high-octane SNPA or Celebration mutant. Very much in the barley wine league rather than IPA both in taste and heft. Little trace of alcohol in the taste either, but a familiar burn going down the gullet leaves one with no mistake that this is a sipping beverage.

Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy but very, very smooth. Impressions are more towards a nice hoppy brandy than a beer. A credit to the brewer that such an outrageous product is not only still drinkable but enjoyable. The label says "Ages Well" (mine is a 2004 bottle) and I am only too curious to find out. (1,007 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -15.3%

Finally I sit down to write the review on a beer i've been craving for months. I am a hop-head, and I thought this beer would be the "holy grail" it proclaims to be. We'll see about that.

I have to admit, I had to wrestle with the 750 mL bottle to get the damn thing to open. After a good five minutes, I won the battle - but with the cork came a huge glass chunk from the rim of the bottle that shot across the room. Warning signs abound! Beware!

The beer pours out a very unassuming copper color. It didn't have the thick, foamy look that most equally strong beers have - in fact, it looks almost identical to the 60 minute IPA. The beer bubbled up into a small head that disappeared immediately and little lacing at all. After finishing a snifter's worth, I could've sworn that the lacing looked like hebrew characters. Goes to show that the beer really had me under its power.

The beer has a silky mouthfeel that greets you. The beer is amazingly sweet and complex, with layers and layers of flavors attacking you from every direction. I encountered maple syrup, honey, bubblegum, rock candy, with the floral hops in there somewhere. They are just icicles in the ocean in this brew, unfortunately.

The beer isn't weighted with anything but sweets. Towards the end, I did happen to catch slight suggestions of lowland scotch whisky and apple cider. With that being said, the beer is not at all medicinal or overpowering with its alcohol taste. Everything is blended quite well.

This is one rich ass beer. At times, it will convince you that it has a normal consistency, and then out of nowhere you will be swarmed with too many tastes for you palate to deal with.

I knew what I was getting into with this beer - it truly is not an IPA. The only thing that gave me the hint of hops was the dry feeling left in my palate after about two glasses. Another unfortunate side effect of the beer is the Diet-Pepsi taste you are left with.

Basically a beer you've got to try to believe. But for the sake of your pocketbook, split it with four people just to get the taste and save your money for superior Dogfish Head beers. (2,143 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -15.3%

Served in a snifter, my first taste of this famous and infamous brew.

A: A dark copper-orange color, which is quite pretty. No head to speak of, naturally.

S: Interestingly, when I smelled first out of the bottle, I smelled only hops, and I was really excited. When I poured into the snifter, it really came alive, and not entirely in a better way. Some very strong paint-thinner edge, which is essentially the primary aroma.

T: Extremely sweet up front, tastes an orange-lemon-hop syrupy extract. It is a little bitter on the finish, but no nearly enough to balance the crazy sweetness. I do like some things about it though, and the taste is definitely more agreeable than the aroma to me, as the paint-thinner parts were able to translate to non-paint-thinner flavors.

M: Extraordinarily slick and syrupy, yet I wouldn't say it is undercarbonated at all. In fact considering what the 21% ABV might predict in regards to carbonation I'd say the carb levels are much higher than expected, and I think that is important and helps the beer a great deal.

D: Drinkability is probably the most subjective category, because there isn't really a good definition to go off of in the first place. Can I drink it? Definitely, it tastes good and I paid a premium for it. Can I (or anyone really) have more than one? Very unlikely, not to mention I paid a premium for it. But considering the extremity of the beer, I think drinkability is average.

A very interesting beer. If I didn't dislike the aroma so much, I think I really would have liked it. Maybe next time I'll leave it in the bottle ;) (1,594 characters)

Poured into a tulip.

A - Misty blood orange color sporting a thin khaki head. Retention was minimal, but some lace was left behind.

S - Citrus notes, a plethora of hops, some noticeable alcohol presence, and a slight sweetness.

T - Cloying and boozy. Far too sweet, the hop bitterness can't mask the rest. More like a syrup than a beer.

M - Oily thick medium body. Low carbonation level. Again, syrup-like.

D - A novelty I suppose, but to me it seems like a waste of a lot of good hops. I guess it is one of those beers that everyone wants to try at least once, but I doubt I'll be drinking another anytime soon. (617 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours a cloudy amber with a fluffy off white head that leaves some spotting and mild lacing around the glass.

Smells like lots of pine and alcohol.

Tastes are tons of leafy bitter hops followed by a strong sticky caramel sweetness. Pretty harsh alcohol bite and a long lingering bitter aftertaste. This thing is so damn sweet it's not playing around you can tell.

Mouthfeel is heavy. Well carbonated I guess I can't even tell anymore what's going on here.

Overall is ok but I probably should have aged this for a while. I think all the hype this year compelled me to go ahead and try it. This is my second attempt at drinking this beer and trying to enjoy it. This time didn't go much better than the first. (711 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.6%

My first review here, and a seemingly interesting choice. In fairness, I was unfamiliar to this particular beer up until recently and decided the $8 price tag at Murray's in Milwaukee was worth the gamble.

Much of my opinion has already been discussed in other reviews. Poured nicely, the head not lasting very long. I was unaware of the ABV before diving in. The smell warned me this was dangerous, yet enticing. Overall, I don't know that this is a beer I will be drinking regularly. On the other hand, I definitely recommend it's given a try or two. (553 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Got a few bottles of this.. Couldn't wait to drink 1 and taste was strong! Strong wood taste. It's been a year and I'm gonna wait longer for next one. (150 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.6%

poured from bottle to tulip pint. murky red-orange color with a significant amount of head that dissipates with some lacing. the smell is a highlight-- floral hop edge and a lot of grapefruit. to say the taste is intense is quite an understatement. the hops so proudly boasted by the bottle (up front) are almost overshadowed by the taste of citrus juice concentrate. the sweetness is definitely overdone. ends in nice warming of alcohol. feels like syrup on the mouth and leaves a formidable after-taste. with the heavy sweetness paired with the alcohol content, one was quite enough for me. worth the experience, but not the cost. (632 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -15.6%

Pours an orange color? Seemed more like amber. Had lots of carbonation, a thin foam head that died, and some lacing. It's hard for a high original gravity beer too look great.. Smelled of tons of maris otter malts, syrup, brandy, grapefruit, roses, and tiny hop leaves. Lots going, but mostly toward the sweet side. Taste was of big ass malts, potent alcohol, syrup, and hops that come on only with warming. Unfortunately, the hop flavor was oily and barely bitter. Had some strange creamy but earthy notes too, and also some strange alcohol and hops flavor in the finish. And, a thick and syrupy mouthfeel.

This beer is wide and varied to say the least, I got a sweet bottle I guess. (688 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%

I was given this 2011 version by Tom Behr. He obtained it thru his son's establishment The Beer Trappe in Lexington, KY.
I poured this "beer" into a frosted mug. I was surprised by the orange amber color and one half inch mocha head. Very good start.
The nose is what you would expect from an American double IPA. Powerful citrusy hops followed by the alcohol burn.
I put "beer" in quotations because this is really a mead. I believe Dogfish mixed honey and hop oil, malted the alcohol up to 18% and called it an IPA. Come on, American IPA's are not this sweet!! It was way too sweet for me to just sip. I recommend you drink this beer with food. It went well with bleu cheese wedge salad and beef.
The mouthfeel is what you would expect from a mead, cloyingly thick and oily. You have to wait for the hoppy bitters to shine thru the honey and ?watermelon? But the bitter is very short-lived.
I don't really like sweet beer. This one goes way beyond Belgian sweetness. This is supposed to be a fantastic beer but I cut it to 3.0 overall. It's ok with food but tough to drink by itself. (1,094 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%

So, this beer is a monster, 20% ABV. Drank a 750 ml I recieved for my birthday (with no idea of its strength) during a movie (Kafka's The Trial) and standing up was quite the chore...Here it is in it's new incarnation as a 12 oz. bottle.

Pours a hazy orange blond, with a fluffy barely-off-white (yellowish) head, really healthy looking, leaving nice trails. The head reemerges on swirling the glass. Smells very heady (astringent), floral hops, hop resin and sweet alcohol.

Tastes syrupy sweet to start, beyond malty sweetness, hop resin and candy or sugar sweetness. Theres a saturated hop bitterness...then, whoa, the alcohol really takes over (both on the tongue, and in the brain). I don't even taste hops anymore, and being an I.P.A., I have to say "???" Even with swirling in the mouth, the hops still take a backseat to the sweetness and heavy alcohol. A burley barleywine, I say, with more than it's share of sweetness.

Mouthfeel is syrupy, sticky, and really lasts on the palate. Please note that any beer after this is water.. save it for a night cap. Drink slowly.

Drinkability, well I don't know what to say, probably best served (as it was at AOBF) in 4 oz. increments.

Realistically, this beer might be too much, maybe it'll mellow a bit with age (says 'Ages Well' on the label). I love DFH, but the 90 minute IPA and the Olde School (barleywine) both do different aspects of this beer, IMO, better than the 120 Minute does itself. (1,472 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

bottled 7/2/2013 and poured into a snifter.

A- Poured slowly but high above the glass to create a thick white head. Good quality lacing just from the initial pour. Very orange/apricot color to the beer. Very appealing.

S- Malt and booze. For a beer that has been hopped to hell and back all I can smell is sweetness from the malt. On further assessment there are subtle hints of caramel, and spiced citrus.

T- This is where I realized I may not be a fan of such high ABV's. I'd rather have Tequila or Rye Whiskey because of the balance. This beer is all sweet with flavors of citrus and caramel. The malt finish is huge, adding to the sweetness. Minimal hops. I know they are there, because they have to be, but tasting them is difficult. Booze and malt are all I can distinguish.

M- Like a mouth full of a good liqueur this beer has a sweet rich feel with minimal carbonation.

O- Can I say disappointed? WIth 60,75, and 90 being so very impressive I expected this to crush them all. I instead encountered a totally different beast. More Liqueur than beer, this beverage needs to come with a warning. A warning that it should only be consumed in small quantities after a hearty meal. Very much digestif-like. Give me Averna or Fernet any day... (1,250 characters)

Reviewed from notes of 1/14/11

A = Orange to amber hue. Reddish afterglow in full light. Reminding me of a light brandy color. 2 finger, quality head. Liquory clinging lace.

S = Hopy! Heavy liquor smell reminding me of a mix of a young brandy and an aged sherry.

T = Good carbonation. Fruity of plum and apricot. Roasted pumpkin. Heavy tanin for no wooden barrel processing. Sweet. Sweet. Sweet. Sweet. Did I mention sweet? Reminded me of a carbonated after dinner cordial. Dare I say my mothers Harveys Bristol Cream?

M = Tingling carbonation on the front end. Sticky but silky smooth finish.

D = This was fun to try, but I could barely finish the bottle. The first few mouthfuls were enjoyable and interesting. But the excess sweetness after 1/2 the bottle turned me off. I would try this again and share with a friend for an after dinner drink served in a brandy snifter. (880 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -16.1%

12 oz bottle shared with daysinthewake. 2011 Vintage. Reviewed 7/15/11.

P: Amber body. Thick, light brown head that settles down, leaving nice lacing.

A: There's a ton of fruit and brown sugar on the nose. Floral hops. Some alcohol aromas. Bubble gum and candy aromas. Tangerine zest.

T: Very sweet: brown sugar and caramel. Dark fruits. Essence of sherry, with a warming alcohol feeling. A little hot, but has some residual sugar on the finish that combats the alcohol. Hops are surprisingly absent. The sweetness is compounded with each sip, becoming a little overwhelming after awhile.

So....where are the hops? I actually don't mind the sweetness, but by the end of the drink, it just starts to become too much. And I only had 6 ounces of it. I was a little let down, and I'd be really interested to see what age does to this. (834 characters)

12 oz glass, on tap at Blind Tiger, NYC 10/8/03 Night of the Imperials Part 2

Appearance/Head: Orange color. Rather hazy. Very light head, which is understandable due to the very high ABV.

Aroma: Rich fruitness. It smells very sweet. Some hops, but not the heavy hop aroma I would have expected from 120 IBU's.

Taste: Very thick body. Candy sugar with hops. Notes of brown sugar, blackstrap molasses, and caramelized apples. Overly sweet, not very balanced. Maybe it needs 200 IBU's? The taste actually reminds me some of Samuel Adam's Triple Bock.

Bottom line: I applaud Dogfish Head for created such a unique brew. Unfornuately this is one of those experiments that doesn't quite turn out as you had hoped. I recommend you try this beer if you have a chance, because it is one of a kind. (801 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -16.3%

Serving: 12 oz bottle purchased from Martignetti Liquors on Cross Street, in Boston, poured into a standard American pint glass.

Appearance: Lovely, hazy golden color, like clover honey. Tall, two-finger head developed upon pouring, leaving an uneven lacing behind, confined mostly to one side of the glass.

Smell: Sweet, though not cloying. Somewhat like a barleywine.

Taste: The taste definitely leaves something to be desired. The hops, if they are indeed present, are completely overpowered by the malt. A strong medicinal character is present, as well. It's like Robitussin mixed with Ridge Runner... Too fracking sweet!

Mouthfeel: Velvety smooth. It has a definite thickness in the mouth, again reminiscent of honey. It's surprisingly fluid for something that feels so viscous on the palate.

Drinkability: Well, it goes down well, and provides a nice buzz within the first few sips, but it's nowhere near as quaffable as its siblings, the 60 Minute and 90 Minute IPAs.

Overall: An interesting experiment, to be sure, but not something that's likely to take up residence in my cellar and, at nearly $9 a bottle, that's not necessarily a bad thing. (1,170 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a dark orange to amber red color with very little head that leaves no lacing. Smells of orange blossoms and a spiciness that I can't quite make out. Alcohol is present in the nose, but not as overpowering as I would expect.

Taste has a warmness to it, but the alcohol is masked pretty well. Not a hop bomb in the traditional way that you would expect. Tastes mostly of orange marmalade or orange blossom with a spicy warmness from the alcohol. It's a bit of a one note pony though to me. I can't pick up much complexity. Maybe a little pineapple.

Mouth feel is a bit syrupy, but I like the moderate carbonation.

I'm happy I picked it up, and it is definitely a well thought out and constructed beer. Hides the alcohol well and doesn't blow your tongue away with the hops, but I was a bit disappointed with what I felt was a bit one-dimensional. Worth a try (and I'd like to age one) but won't be dying to try it again. (976 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -16.3%

A- Pours a nice orange/amber color with about a half inch of white head. I'm surprised this has head at 21%.

S- Honestly, it smells kind of like vinegar. Lots of alcohol, but lots of buttery, citrusy hops.

T- Alcohol! Very acidic. Some hops present. Sugar and honey come through when you can get by the initial alcohol bite. Definitely the most unique beer I've ever had. I'm not sure I like it though.

M- Medium bodied. Goes down smooth. Velvety. Carbonated.

D- Tough drink. I don't think I'm ready for this. (513 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow, split this bottle amongst several friends at a poker game. Smell was not indicative of what was to come. Yellow-orange in color and had a good head. The taste was syrupy, sweet and woody/smoky which I thought very odd. This bottle was cellared for a year prior to consumption. this one was just way too big for me. (319 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -16.6%

The much-vaunted 120 minute IPA - it took me a long time to finally track down a bottle of this stuff, as most places I knew didn't carry it. However, as DFH has gotten wider distribution it's become a lot more commonplace. Needless to say, as a hophead and a fan of DFH, I was excited to try it. This is from the 12oz. bottles.

Pours a bold orange/copper, with a decent white head. Head diminishes fairly quickly. Smell is hoppy with some elements of sweetness behind it. The taste is where the sweetness dominates however. My expectation was to get smashed in the mouth by pure hops, yet the sweetness of this seems to overpower everything else. Given that it's 21 ABV, I would imagine this is to help cover the alcohol taste. My hope is that they would have really amped up the hops to add balance, but the malty sweetness just dominates. Mouthfeel is syrupy yet smooth, with a strong alcohol presence.

Drinkability for me has this as a one-off or occasional beer. I've actually been meaning to pick 2 more up so I can cellar them for a couple years and see how it tastes with age. (1,092 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -16.6%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Looks gold coming out of the bottle, but settles a darker, hazy caramel color. The head is thin with just a few tan bubbles.

S: The aroma is very pleasant; citrus hoppiness is potent and accompanied by hints of earthiness. It smells strong, but not nearly as strong as other barrel aged beers.

T/M: Low to medium carbonation dance on the tongue, earthy hops and hints of dry malt are apparent up front and an alcohol sting lingers long after.

It’s not bad but it’s not great, and it’s definitely not worth the price.

TheBeerAlmanac.com (584 characters)

12 oz bottle - 2011

A - opaque amber, very little head, almost none

S - citrusy hops, some alcohol, sweetness (honey?), the hops aren't as strong as what I'd expect, only a little alcohol considering the strength

T - once again underwhelmed by the hops, the alcohol comes through much stronger here (not for 18%+ though), its sweet and malty more than anything

M - syrupy with a gentle carbonation

O - I guess I was expecting more of a super-duper IIPA and thats not what it is, its really sweet where I was looking for really bitter, its not a bad brew and its very interesting, I'm not looking for another though, at least not for a while... (649 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance: Considering how dark the DFH 90 Minute IPA poured, I expected the 120 Minute to be even darker. My assumption was wrong. It pours a very nice dark yellow color with only the faintest amount of pale white head. Because of the insane viscosity alone in this beer, there is quite a bit of lacing and sheer heaviness that coats the side of the glass.

Smell: Two of my good friends joined me to drink this one - and for good reason. As we held the glass up to our nose for the first time we all laughed out loud. This is an INSANE "beer." I mean, wow! The first thing that came to our mind was model glue or sticking your nose in a bag full of freshly-purchased pungent hops. This is unquestionably the most intense smelling beer you're going to find. I imagine it's the most intense beer you're going to find...period!

Taste: The laughs continued because holy hell this is a monstrous beer. Taking my first sip was like taking my first leap off the high dive at the pool - I was hesitant to say the least. There's no question what hits your mouth first - HOPS, HOPS, HOPS, HOPS, and more HOPS! And when I say hops, I mean the most intense essence of hops you can find. If you could somehow liquefy strong hops into a gold liquid (oh wait, it's been done).

Mouthfeel: The DFH 120 has about the same consistency as Sauternes. If you can imagine how a hop liqueur would feel on the tongue, then you're about halfway there. There is a lot of body and sweetness that coats the mouth and tongue and holds on like there's no tomorrow. Makes you wonder why it's not called a Quadruple IPA. Maybe one day...

Overall: We had a lot of fun drinking this beer and enjoyed the insane bitch slap we got from the hops. However, this is a beer that should not be taken seriously. What I mean by this is that there is no way anyone should want to drink this on a regular basis. It is extreme beyond belief. I will definitely search for another one to keep as a conversation piece the next time I get together with other hop lovers, but in no way see it as one of the better IPAs out there. (2,086 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery