120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,108 | Hads: 7,374
3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

Received this brew from chadbrew in my very first trade. I’m a bit weary about this brew but I’m pretty excited to try it. I’m guessing its right around a year old. Drank from my snifter while watching season 1 of Lost.

Appearance- Pours a copper orange with a huge off-white fluffy head. Great cap and collar left for the entire brew and more lacing than I’ve ever seen.
Smell- Ridiculous amounts of grapefruit, pineapple and mango. Super fruity and citrusy and fresh. Some peanut brittle background does manage to seep in under all of those hops but barely. P.S. Loads of alcohol.
Taste- Starts super bitter with massive amount of fruity grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, bubblegum and cotton candy. That quickly passes and the ridiculously sweet caramel malt moves in and try’s to balance things out. It really isn’t successful but this isn’t the hop bomb I was expecting. It’s more of a malt bomb with loads of alcohol. Finishes with a lingering butterscotch aftertaste.
Mouthfeel- Very thick and syrupy with a oily slickness, light carbonation and loads of warming from the alcohol.
Drinkability- Sitting at 21% this brew isn’t exactly sessionable, or really drinkable. It’s definitely a sipping brew; a sipping brew that you should enjoy with a friend, or six. This isn’t exactly my cup of tea but considering the extremes that this beer reaches, it’s really not that bad. Worth trying but don’t expect a whole lot. I’m going to try one more of these in my life and its going to be super fresh. (1,515 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -17.9%

Elusive, missed it on tap a few times now, Sunset Grill.

A- Amber caramel into a 10oz ish snifter. Small white cloud but no real head. Tiny ring on edges with no lace at all.

S- Like a Barleywine and IIPA. Hoppy but also has a huge caramel malt presence. Hops are both citrus and herbal to me. Just a bit of solvent alcohol, like a spirit.

T- Hmmmm...Hops die down here a lot to me. Mostly like what an 17+ % ale would taste like, big caramel, raisin and oxidation. Hops are just a bit herbal and pine to me. Alcohol obviously comes into play. Very sweet.

MF- Nice level of lower silky carbonation in an oily substantial body. HOT from alcohol.

This batch failed to be hoppy to me. I had a nice 2010 hoppy sample. HUGE beer that doesn't being hops this time. Too hot and sweet. (782 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -17.9%

OK a friend already warned me that this one is not like any beer I had before, and he was true!
Pours brown and golden with nearly no head with little hard to describe haze, very nice color. Used a wine glass.
Smell is sweet, very floral hops, alkohol.
Taste, hm what say about taste, sweet sticky, thick, very alkoholic, tons of hop aroma.
Mothfeel, again very sweet, very sticky, like liqueur, not bad but very intense.
drinkabiltiy, I had a hard time finishing the 12oz bottle.
But I will drink it again, but only with other people after a hefty meal. I think you need at least 3 people for one bottle do drink as a digestive. (629 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -17.9%

What I expect out of this beer: A very hoppy perhaps grapefruit tasting beer with a fairly high alcohol content. I'm expecting something like Bell's 2 Hearted Ale.

What I got: Fresh beer brewed in 2005 not aged for very long. Purhcased from Cloverleaf today. Smell is very hoppy, head is creamy not very fizzy and one finger high. Piney in aroma. Certainly costs a lot more than a Bell's 2 Hearted at $7.99 for a 12 fl. oz. bottle. Expensive.

Taste: Hops! A bit of a sweet flavor. Kind of rings on the palate. Surprisingly not much bitterness. No grapefruit hops. I'm not sure what type of hops is used. Not a green hoppy taste. Some alcohol burning sensation but not much. A bit more sweet and malty tasting than expected.

Not very drinkable in large quantities. I enjoy other IPA's more and not worth the extra money.

By the way, I had no idea this one was at 20% ABV. It tasted like it had far less alcohol. More like a 8-9% ABV. I think this is a complement. (977 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -17.9%

Ahh...the holy grail of hopheads. We bought 2 bottles back in 2004 and the first bottle we drank right away. We could barely choke it down. While I'm not a hophead, this one is MUCH better.

The bitterness has taken a back seat to a smooth, sweet alcohol ass-kick with a mid-taste bitterness.

I personally find this a bit hard to drink; it's more of a sipper, like a fine brandy. (385 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

i had waited a long time to try the infamous Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. The bottle claims that it is, " The Holy Grail for Hop Heads," but it failed to hit its mark.

The aroma came off very sweet but did not mask the large alcohol smell. Think of sherry, or cognac.

The alcohol was more prevalent in the taste than in the smell. The hop characteristic that i was expecting was no where to be found.

The mouth feel for the 120 was very odd. It started off very syrupy, then as you sat to ponder the taste had a drying effect on your tongue. It seemed as if the alcohol was going to deplete the moisture in your mouth.

Overall I am a little disappointed with my first 120 experience. I would like to get a hold of a few more bottles for cellaring purposes. In the end i still take my hat off to the dogfish head brewery and commend them for their courageous exploration in the world of craft brewing. (908 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

Fresh bottle bought a month ago so the beer is a bit hot. Lighter in color than a usual DIPA but DFH is never usual. A bit of hops and fruit in smell. It tastes fairly hoppy but the alcohol taste is a little strong which affects the drinkability (besides the massive ABV). This is a sipper for sure. I won't drink another one this fresh and see how aging affects this beer.

Cheers. (384 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

A - Hazy amber color with a small off white head.

S - Hops, sugar, caramel, sugar, fruit, sugar, alcohol.

T - Wow...really sweet. Alcohol is noticeable, but the sweetness is overwhelming. Little bitterness with caramel and fruity flavors more noticeable.

M - Thick, sticky and cloying. Sweet residue coats the tongue leaving a lingering aftertaste.

D - Slowly. This was worth trying and I appreciate the craft in attempting to make such a big beer, but this just was not my style. (484 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

12 oz. bottle, sampled fresh, May 2004

I was pretty excited to see this in the store, way out here in Cali. So I bought a couple bottles: one for now, and one for, as the bottle says, "a decade or so" from now.

Pours a clear copper in color, with almost no head at all and slooow moving carbonation. Not much surprise given the 20% ABV.

Aroma is (surprise again!) hoppy, and very sweet, with a spicy warm alcohol glow.

Mouthfeel is syrupy thick, and the flavor is cloyingly sweet. Hop resin is sticky, dripping, oozes down the throat like a hop-infused honey. Hints of grape and a huge, spicy alcohol finish.

Interesting? I guess. Drinkable? Not in the least. Bigger ain't always better, I guess. Goes down like a hop port, and that, even in the opinion of this humble hophead, is not a good thing. We'll she how she develops over the next couple years. (870 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours amber with no lasting head. Smell is alcohol 1st and then some syrupy sweetness. Not even getting any hops out of it. Taste is warming sweet alcohol. Hops are noticeable but mild compared to the heat and intense sweetness. Too sweet for a DIPA, yet drinkable, I suppose, for how strong it is. I'll try it again someday but this didn't excite me, like most of their beers. (377 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.4%

I've wanted to try this for quite some time and last night I finally got my chance. I love the work that Dogfish Head does (especially the 90 Minute IPA) but this one was a bit over the top for me. I found the alcohol overwhelming. I love beer but I don't enjoy hard alcohol and this one felt like a big glass of the hard stuff so it wasn't my thing. I'll just go back to the 90 Minute and save Dogfish Head the extra time. (423 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

About a 3 month old bottle poured into a Dogfish snifter.

Looks beautiful. A deep, ruby orange with an off white head. Looks like a Founder's Old Curmudgeon, except you are not going to see through this one.

Aroma. This is where all of the good things I mentioned above go to die. It smells pretty awful. Almost all alcohol and a musty, sour grape. Actually, it smells a bit like gin now that I think about it.

Taste is better, but not by much. Harsh is the best way I can describe it. Boozy right off the bat with the alcohol coming off the top ropes with an elbow to the tongue. Then some hops that also hang around in the form of a terrible, and bitter aftertaste. There is also that musty, stale flavor. Somewhere in there I noticed some sweetness in the form of candied sugars and caramel malts. I actually bumped it some as it improved a bit as it warmed.

Feel is ok considering the alcohol content.

I realize that this is going to be a "boozy" beer, and my rdev is going to be off the charts here. Even World Wide Stout couldnt mask all of the alcohol. However, I am just not liking the flavors and I don't think they are well integrated. They are all over the place. This just seems like a mess. It reminds me a lot of Double Crooked Tree (which I didn't care for either) for reference, or a Molotove Cocktail on the more positive side. It is definitely along the American Barleywine lines more so than an Imperial IPA. I would be open to trying one with some age on it. It cant really be worse for me. (1,520 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I had a bottle of this at Coopers a few weeks ago. This beer needs to sit and cellar for a long time before it is even drinkable. Perhaps if it was store in a cave like the one from the move "Deep Impact" it would be more enjoyable after 300 years.

It look golden and hazy. Almost murchy.

It smelled like heat. Seriously, the smell had an overwhelmiing hotness to it.

It tasted like burning.

It didn't stay long in my mouth so I couldn't give a good review of the mouthfeel. I was in such a hurry to swallow it because I was afraid my tounge would burst into flames.

I can't imagine going to a bar and ordering this and enjoying it. Perhaps if global warming were actually real and I needed to hide from the impending ice age I would drink this to warm me up. Since global warming isn't real, I guess I will never have to drink another one again. (861 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -18.6%

So I'll start this off by saying that I'm not a huge IPA fan, or even much of a hop-head...
Even so - The first time I ever had dogfish head 60 minute was on tap, and the fresh flavor of the hops blending together so perfectly was mind blowing. Then I had the 90 minute on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings, and decided to buy more at my local beer shop. When I heard that there was a 120 minute, I knew I had to have it... I managed to find a 4 pack recently at one of the beer stores around here - I wasn't sure I could justify $40 for a 4 pack, but I decided to make it a happy birthday present to myself. I have high hopes that by the end of this review, I'll have no regrets.
Let's get started, shall we?

Serving Type - Bottle. Poured into a Samuel Adams Wide-mouth Pint Glass

A - It's a hazy golden-yellow with about a half-finger straw-white head that dissipates in around a minute or so. (Even a hopping of this magnitude can't help the head retention in an 18% brew) Slightly disappointing look to it - I expected it to be a little darker, and much clearer.

S - Upon first opening the bottle, you are immediately hit by a massive dose of pine and grapefruit flavors... Very mouthwatering - as it warms a bit, more of a fresh fruit scent comes forward, hinting at berries and possibly even coconut?

T - Now for the big one... Taste.
I'm sorry to say that it's completely underwhelming in this department... After the 60 minute, and the 90 minute, and my love of big, heavy, high alcohol beers- This just doesn't live up to expectations. There's a little bit of hop upon first taste, but as it makes its way through the mouth, over the tongue and down the throat, all you get is bitterness, old vegetation, copper-rust and an alcohol burn with no maltiness to back it up or attempt to cover it... Similar to their World Wide Stout, they've focused purely on ABV, and forgotten that when you're going to spend $10 on a single bottle of beer, it sure as hell better be worth savoring.

M - Much lighter than expected... It makes you wonder how much of the ABV comes from corn sugar or other adjuncts. Moderate carbonation helps the lightness of it, but perhaps they would have done well to back up the alcohol with enough residual sweetness to cover the burn?

O - Disappointing :( I wanted to like this beer, I really did - I looked for it for over a year, and was ecstatic when I finally found it, but it doesn't come anywhere close to living up to the hype... My wallet sheds a tear for my poor gut. Half a bottle down, 3 1/2 to go... (2,539 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

I've had this several times over the past few years, but for whatever reason, today is the day to review it.

This latest brew was bottled on 4/17/08. I love how DFH puts that on the bottle! Oh how I wish ALL beers from ALL breweries showed the bottling date. Kudos to DFH!

This 120 pours a cloudy amber with small head, but with a small head/ring which continues to stick around. To be honest, it's just not very appealing in appearance. The aroma is more interesting, but it's a bit weird too. There's a strong citrusy (grapefruity/rine-y) aroma, but also a slight stinky (feet?) character. It's certainly an odd mix.

The flavor pretty much backs up the aromas, but expands on them in every direction. In many ways, the flavors are similar to DFH's 60 or 90, but on overdrive. I swear, DFH has a house character which shows up (mostly) in their hoppy brews. Unfortunately (for me), it's a characteristic which I'm not all that excited about, but seems to be very popular with most other people. Whatever the case, I certainly respect DFH and all the envelope-pushing brews they make...including this brew. This is not one of my personal favorite uber-hoppy brews, but there's no denying that it's one of the most idiosyncratic hoppy brews ever brewed! (1,256 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

12 ounce bottle purchased from Liquid Solutions in Oregon for about twelve dollars

Enjoyed this while watching football today, and watched the Colts and Manning completely choke

As far as alcohol content goes, this was the strongest beer I have ever had, it pretty much knocked me on my backside

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter with a orange red color and a soapy white head that was barely visible and settled immediately, left lots of lacing though

Smell was grassy-like hops with some grapefruit and oranges, could definitely smell the high alcohol content, strong citrus smell mixed with strong but sweet malt

Taste was alright but nothing like I expected, did not taste like much of an IPA to me, hops were overpowered by the malt and I could really taste the booze in it, too sweet and not bitter at all, could have really used some dryness, tasted more like a strong ale to me because of the excess malt, smell was a little piney but this was not evident in its taste, I was hoping for this to be bitter and was disappointed, cannot expect much taste out of something that is so high in ABV though, not bad but not great at the same time, they should make a new category for this type of IPA because it is like nothing else I have ever had

Not much carbonation but taste stuck around for a while because it was pretty potent to begin with

Could not drink much more of this, maybe half of another bottle, heavy and over twenty percent alcohol which is just crazy

Recommended just to say you have tried, strongest IPA you will ever have, be will be able to tell that this boiled for two straight hours based on the strength of its taste (1,653 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

The 120 Minute poured a cloudy orange with a soft pillow foam head with very some sudsy lacing.

The aroma was sweet off the bat. Slight tinge of pine. Caramel smells. Grapefruit. Blood oranges.

The taste was a tad alcoholic. It is quite overwhelming at first. It was really sweet like eating a piece of candy. I think you only have a few drinks to take your notes because the senses loose touch with reality quite quickly.

While it was really in your face with the abv, it maintained a smoothness to it. After I finish I know there will be no taste buds left till tomorrow to rate a beer. Definitely one and done. It was smooth on the tongue but it burned the roof and the sides.

Overall not a bad beer and worth trying but I probably won't buy it again due to the extreme cost for the return. (797 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served in Chimay chalice

Appearance-
A deep orange color, with a thin white fizzy head.

Smell-
Very hoppy, citrus and bitter hops competing in the front with a sweet smell if you search for it.

Taste-
Way to sweet for its own good, almost like a Spaten Optimutor. The sweetness is way to much, and is followed by a slight bitter. I have a hard time picking out any flavors.

Mouthfeel-
Heavy and oily, less carbonation than expecting.

Overall-
I love me some hops, but if I wanted something this sweet I could drink soda. Still better than a AAL. (550 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -19.1%

A: This brew poured a thick looking bronze color with a 1 inch foam head that left quickly. Left very little lacing, if any. If I wouldn't of known...it looks fairly quenching...NOT!

S: Apricots, sour apple with very sweet and malty characteristics. Smells sweet and sticky! The ABV even by nose is almost obnoxious. This just barks alcohol!

T: Not horrible- but personally not a fan and I truly like IPA's. This is a little much unless you're drinking one after a meal as a desert drink! Not as hoppy as it is sweet and sticky! It just coats your mouth. The more you drink of it, the more you feel the tongue coat with a sour apple, honey type sweetness...as well as a step closer to feeling like crap in the morning. It has a very, very strong, sweet aftertaste!

M: Substantial, syrupy, heavy, full bodied with a very high ABV present. Almost a cider type.

D: Honestly- hell no!! 1-2 of these and you're done or you're screaming in the morning. It's just too sweet and syrupy. No way and heck I could or would sit down with this as a session beer.

I'm a huge fan of Dogfish and have been wanting to try this and would of regardless purely based on reputation and chatter. I love the 60 Minute, the 90 minute was walking a thin line with me... but a great beer; and this 120 Minute...too much!! A good beer though if that makes any sense.

Not the best review from me...but still a huge fan of the Dogfish Head Brewery!! (1,429 characters)

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This is a beer on steroids in every dimension-sweetness, hops, and alcohol. The particular specimen at hand is a 12 ounce bottle served in a Chimay chalice. The beer is a cloudy dark copper orangish color with very little foam. Surprisingly, alcohol does not dominate the aroma, but it is detectable. Sugary sweetness is the primary fragrance, along with caramel apples and some piny hops. The beer is heavy and syrupy on the palate. A sugary sweetness tinged with apricots blows away the taste buds from the outset and doesn't let up. As the beer roils toward the gullet an oily piny hop flavor emerges followed by a significant alcohol warming all the way down. All aspects of the flavor profile linger, especially the alcohol. It would be difficult to toss back a large quantity of these. If the flavor overload doesn't get you, the alcohol will.

I really like the 90 minute IPA from Dogfish Head, but this one comes across as a bit too much, almost a gimmick. Every aspect is over the top. I don't think the flavors meld all that well, rather they come across as a collection individual flavors.

Worth a try, but probably not a regular in the refrigerator. (1,162 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19.4%

Bottle: Poured a light hazy amber color ale with a huge bubbly head with better then average retention and better then expected considering the high level content of alcohol. Aroma is well obviously very hoppy with some sweetness. Taste is way sweeter then expected with some bitterness but not as much as expected. The sweetness is a bit too much for me and even a 341 ml bottle of this stuff seems too much for my liking. Not bad just not a good everyday beer and there is a few strong extreme beers I would drink before this one. (532 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottle purchased at Nathaniel Square Corner Store, in Rochester, NY.

Pours a clear dark orange, with a 1 inch head, and not much lacing. Looks quite oily, with no visible carbonation.

Smells include sweet malt, alchohol, honey, and lemon pledge type hop aromas.

The tastes include resinous piney hops, honey, sweet malts, lemon, orange, and more cloying honey sweetness all throughout. For a beer that is supposed to be one of the hoppiest there is, this one slightly disappoints. The malt flavor and alcohol overwhelms everything else. A bit of a chore to drink.

Medium bodied, slow sipper due to alcohol. Low carbonation. Sticky sweet mouthfeel.

60 and 75 are much better, 90 is where they start to lose me on this series, 120 is way too much. (750 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19.4%

So I tried to take the style/alcohol content into consideration while rating this one, but it was difficult.
Appearance was good, nice and thick with small head and almost no lacing. Smell is ok- strong alcohol with some citrus and a faint hint of hops.
Taste is more of the same, but too creamy for my taste. This was an odd brew.
Mouthfeel was good, thick and buttery.
Drinkability was not that great but given the alcohol content, I have to give it ok. (455 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

June 2012 bottle served on 6/30/12 in a tulip.

Pour: Clear amber with a two finger white head that leaves great lacing.

Smell: Floral hops with a little pine. IMO, DFH IPA's all have a characteristic smell/taste that is noticeable in all of them, can't really place what it is, but I'm not really fan. A little bit of booze.

Taste: More floral hops that are very bitter, but not as much as I'd expect. Honey-caramel malt balances. Boozy nail polish finish (i.e. unpleasant)

Mouthfeel: At first this seems very drinkable, but then it becomes very medicinal and syrupy. Very warming.

Overall: Probably my first and last 120 Minute. Cool to try, way, WAY better bangs for my buck out there. (693 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Hazy gold-orange, yellow-white head fades but leaves rings of lace.

S: Floral but verging on abrasive chemical. Soil and citrus, but those are quickly smothered by the rest of it.

T: Woody, floral. Pine shows mid-late palate. Chemical like nail polisher still coming through (mega yuck.- what is this??) Cinnamon and baking spices on the finish (I swear), plus more alcohol warmth.

M: It's got some bite! Sky high IBU and sky high alcohol, as it turns out, is intense. Abrasive, but not astringent.

O: Barely fun even as a novelty. It seems like they got a little lazy, trying to make it as extreme as possible and any positive characteristic was a lucky side effect. Insane bitterness and ridiculous hop character is intriguing, but not when the smell and flavor make me worry if I'm going to go blind. I'm glad I didn't, and glad I got to try it, but now our relationship is over. Sorry 120, it's you. (912 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery