120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,108 | Hads: 7,374

Ok, this beer has lived up to expectations on taste, as so many that i have sought out have not. About 20% it had a bite of alcohol but not as harsh as you would expect. Aroma would wonderful, a very mild fresh hops. Not overwhelming. Mouth feel was a little heavier than a normal IPA, but again strong and aged likely were the thanks to that.

I was lucky enough to share a bottle with a good brew buddy that had been aging it for a year or more. So I don't know how much that change the flavor profile.
Cheers to you Dogfish (528 characters)

This isn't a regular review. I love this beer, and I only finished my second bottle.

About a year ago, I had this for my first time. Today my second. This review encompasses both experiences.

When I first saw this brew on a shelf of a local store, I was astonished. Without hesitation I picked it up. Got home, warmed up the tub, and opened up a Rolling Stone. Glass poured, I was blown away by the pleasant warmth, sweetness, fermentation, colour, scent, and simply appreciated this fine beverage. It was so good you'd think it'd be gone in 15 minutes, but the beverage satisfies, it lingers on your tongue, it was sipped for the course of a couple hours. Feeling good, having a cigarette, listening to classic rock, this was a beer to make you a king.

I tried it again today and really paid no attention to it besides simply enjoying it, yet again, for a couple of hours. This really is, the best beer I have ever had. (924 characters)

What can be said about this legendary brew that has not already? Got a pour at the Dogfish Head Brewery on Milton, DA and, by god, the experience was pure indulgence! From the abundant bouquet of sweet hops, pine and flowers to the well rounded, spirit like taste and mouthful to match - truly one of the best, if not "THE BEST" beers I've ever had the privilege of tasting!

So glad I got some to bring home. (409 characters)

2011 vintage, courtesy of Gerard from Coalhouse Pizza in Stamford, CT (no they don't have any left)

Pours a dark gold/amber, amber in the middle, gold towards the edges. Not much head, just a bit of lacing around the edges. Aroma has sweet malt and yeast, almost like a barleywine, with a ton of hops. Lots of hops. While it certainly looks and smells great, they can't quite match the flavor of the beer.

The taste is massive. The malt is so thick that it feels like syrup, and the taste is so sweet that it is similar. The malt is extraordinarily strong and sweet, balancing out the massive quantity of hops. The hops are dense, they don't stand out as much as they might in lesser quantities, like the brewery's 60 and 90 minute IPAs, rather the whole beer stands as a massive, monolith of malt and hops. The malt is more prominent than any other IPAs that I have had, but the hops are so powerful that the sweetness seems necessary to balance out the bitterness. I don't really get a bitter flavor from the hops, rather the sweetness of the hops shines through.

The flavor is so thick and intense that it is difficult to describe in conventional terms or in comparison to other beers. It isn't the lone overload of hops that many other big IPAs are, but for a beer this strong, it is the monolith of flavor that it must be to have everything about it be this big. Bottom line is that it is really malt-heavy, but the overall flavor is just massive, malt and hops and yeast. The mouthfeel is extremely sweet, the aftertaste lasts a long time and it feels like the beer is still there minutes later.

This is an exceptional beer, perhaps the best I have ever had. For a flavor-intense style, nothing matches it. (1,719 characters)

A- Hazy copper copper brown, with super thin, barely existent white head

S- First smell is alcohol burn in the nose, pine, citrus, caramel

T- Definitely a sipper. Sweet. Piney, and caramel

M- Viscous. No carbonation. Full body. Leaves a puckering from the booze, sweetness and bitterness.

O- an excellent beer. Extreme flavors that work together (352 characters)

As you can tell, I enjoyed this one. The bottle was a little over a year old. Almost no hop flavor or aroma. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Flavor was fruity, but not cloying. As Sam describes it, marmalade-y. It makes you want to keep going back for another sip, and since the alcohol is well hidden on aged bottles, watch out. It hit me like a ton of bricks lol. (362 characters)

With this high alcohol content you would think it would be to much, but oh how it's not. If I hear about this beer being on tap in Dallas, I'm there for the tapping. I love this beer. It pours with a small head but deep caramel color and it just tastes incredible. I also just bought a 4 pack and am aging them at different intervals. I hope everyone can try this beer. (369 characters)

I finally decided it was time to crack this one open. I tried this beer once before, but that was before I became a BA. I credit this beer with enlightening me as to what beer could be and getting me into reviewing and sampling different beers. Well enough reminiscing...

Emptied bottle into oversized wine glass producing a fingers worth of light beige head that receded but never completely. Had a nice glowing orangish amber color to it with carbonation visible and left a fine lace all the way down the glass from the extremely tiny bubbles. Amazing sweet smell of white grape juice and figs. Sweet tastes of honey and maybe a little raisin or fig in there as well. This beer feels like it's just melting in you're mouth with all of the fine carbonation. I didn't even notice the hops at all until the end where I detected a mild hop bitterness. I don't know how they hide the huge amount of alcohol in this, maybe the sweetness masks some of it. Just as awesome as the first time I sampled this one, truly a great beer but not for the faint of heart and to be enjoyed single serving. Still don't understand how they can call this a double IPA it reminds me more of barleywine, I guess I don't care what they call it it's simply just an awesome brew. (1,256 characters)

Absolutely the best tasting beer I have ever had. It is absolutely the hoppiest beer I have ever had. It walks in at a delicious and deadly 18%+. 36 proof beer. I now see why it costs $10 a bottle. It has to be one of the best large extreme beers there are. Every time I can find 120 I will be grabbing some for the vintage closet. (331 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +27.3%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. 2012 bottle aged about 6 months.

A - Pours a deep gold, almost amber, with a wispy, 1/2 finger head. (Pretty much as expected for an 18%'er) That said, the head maintained at least some presence all the way until the end of the glass. No lacing to speak of.

S - Immensely powerful aroma of freshly made toffee, sticky sweet breads, fusel alcohols which smell a little like magic marker, and an herbal/botanical blend. Smells closer to a barleywine or an old ale than a DIPA, but also totally unique.

T - Surprisingly, a candied sugar maltiness kicks things off in the form of pineapple, mango and orange marmalade, followed by HUGE hops of pine and some bitter grapefruit. Vinous white wine grape esters swirl about. Minty hop bite in the finish. The whole thing is drenched in booze, but I mean that in a good way as it's not at all "hot" on the tongue. ALL the flavors here jacked up to 11 and extremely rich. Some similarities to a good port wine. Man, this is amazing. Is there a way to rate something a 10?

M - Surprisingly delicate bodied, and slightly slick/sticky. Just enough carbonation to tickle the palate. Pretty spot on. Between the booze and the richness, the smallness of the sips I found myself taking while drinking this borders on the ridiculous.

O -Freaking amazing. Unique and complex. Too extreme? If your a wuss, maybe. If not, you can totally lose yourself in the depths of this powerful boozy beast. Yes, it's intense. Yes, the flavors can be jarring, and it might not be the most balanced beer available. That said...may I have another? (1,607 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +27%

The aroma of thesis beer hits you as soon as you open the bottle. Poured into a chilled glass it built a thick head. Deep ambur in color. Slight cloud. Very clean sip. Start out mild but builds very quickly. Strong caramel sweetness with a citrus note. The scents and flavors compliment really well. Definitely use a food ipa glass. The alcohol content is a bit high for my taste but the overall deliciousness of the beer overtakes any negative. If you're a hops fan this is a must try!! (494 characters)

4.98/5  rDev +27%

A - Pours a dark golden Amber honey and orange. Forms a finger of quickly dissipating yellow-tan head.
S - Sweet hops, oranges, peaches, grapefruit, mango, bourbon, brown sugar, vanilla, caramel and tons of alcohol on the nose of this brew.
T - Tons of sweet alcohol and peach upfront, this fades into a chest-warming bourbon, caramel, vanilla and brown sugar. Tons of alcohol.
O - A one of a kind IPA. This is both a drink and a life experience. And should only be tried by those who are IPA veterans. Nothing else like it in the world.
V - Very expensive, almost 10 dollars for a single bottle. (600 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +26.8%

Bottle neck stamped 2011 106 1 (maybe the day of the year and batch number?). Poured into a Duvel snifter.

Appearance - Clear amber body. Small pancake batter head with decent stick.

Smell - Very hoppy and malty. Smell keeps changing. Coffee after a few minutes. Alcohol.

Taste - Extreme complexity, beyond almost any beer I've had before. No off flavors. Definite world class beer. Perfect balance and extremity all in one.

Mouthfeel - Very warm. Full bodied. Freels almost irrelevant since the taste is so all-consuming. But very pleasant.

Overall Drinkability - Insane complexity and a lack of off-flavors make this what I consider a perfect beer. (657 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +26.8%

Note: This is the late 2011 batch of this beer. Im trying it in early Nov, and was told it came in late Oct. Saved one to age.

A- Sandy colored decently sized head, for the ABV, sits atop a beautifully defined aurburn, the way a very worn football looks. I could swear that a two thirds of the way through this beer, the spider web like lacing spelled out my name.

S- At first the nose fills with malt character, then is quickly replaced by ethers and grapefruit/ mango hop notes.

T The anticipation and sheer complexity of this beer makes me proceed this tasting with a fine-toothed comb. The first and most lingering note is the hop flavor. It can be broken down into several invidual distinctions: Blood orange, mango, grapefruit and the type of orange you find in diner fruit salads(only way to describe it). This is all laid on a menagerie of distinct malt flavors, that are present in most of dogfishhead's big IPAs. A barly wine/congac type of warmth radiates through you after drinking this, which is the only indication of a high ABV.

M- It hides the ABV very well, but for 10 bucks a 12 oz, i cant imagine it sneaking up on you. Its smooth and meant to be sipped as slow as she can go. It is bitter, but is not overpowering.

O This is the top tier of beer-dom. Its not meant to be reached without climbing the ladder. You can purchase this, review it, and give it a score, but i somehow feel that this beer is judging you. The people at DFH know what theyre doing, and judging by their recent delay of the 2011 120min IPA (because they didnt think it was up to par), I can safely say that they know when they have made the best IPA around (and never settle on less than perfect) The burden of judgement lies not upon them, but on you. When you reach the point that this becomes the grail for you, perhaps you can safely say that you have the ability to judge what a masterpiece this beer really is.

Note: This ruins all other beers. (1,952 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +26.8%

I think people look at this too much as a beer. I think we need to see this as more than beer. It's closer to ice wine in flavor. Sweet, syrupy with notes of grape and pure sugar cane. The hops are muted, but isnt that the point here. At 18%+, what do you expect? This is an after dinner drink, one you could sit down to with a cigar and relax with. Great job to Dogfish Head and they're forward thinking on beer. We need to look at beer as an art, not a bitter sparkling mess. Beer is the new wine, think of it in that fashion and then try this again. For me, this is what beer should be, art in a glass...Cheers!!! (616 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +26.8%

2003 Edition, 12oz bottle. Constantly kept cold since purchasing way back when.

This sampling spurred by a roomate opening the bottle and commenting, "gee, this beer tastes funny." Split the beer with him.

Pours out golden amber and sits light garnet in the glass with a smallish white head, keeping a fair skimming and some lacings around the sides.

Amazingly fruity aroma, even after all these years. Soft, juicy grapefruits, oranges, pear with undertones of late-harvest grapes. Mild piney behavior, sugary coatings.

Tastes moderately sweet up front with sugary caramel up and down. Fruitiness dominates, all the afromentioned fruity aromas apply here as well, but in big, sugary doses. Mildly apparent alcoholic tones bring forth a bit of spiciness on the finish.

Rich, creamy and rich, rich, rich in the mouth. Soft and light carbonation and a big, full body.

Even at 21% (was the '03 that high?) this is extrodinarily and exceptionally easy to drink and boasts probably some of the best flavor arrangements I've ever come across. As far as highly suped-up IPAs go, this is on the top rung. Almost no contest. (1,132 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +26.5%

Updates:
4-1-15 - St. Baldricks event at Jamison Pour House with Jen and Ann. Single serving limit, so I saved it for my last. Planet the Elder also on tap. Superb as I had Enjoy By 4/20 earlier in the day.
5-24-15 - 2003 vintage cellared and purchased from Monk's two years ago. Shared with Ryan a few days after his graduation. Nice and smooth. Bourbony with carmel flavors. Low carbonation. Aged very well. (409 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26.3%

Nose on the beer is increadible. Smells like fresh hops! Thouroughly enjoyed kicking back and sipping out of a snifter. The taste was exceptional, very fresh with little after taste. Very well balanced, the high alcohol content does not effect the taste of the beer. (266 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26.3%

Unfortunately, I don't have notes from the night I was able to get my hands on this beer, however I have read some of the horrible comments about it and cannot for the life of me see where anyone could think this doesn't taste amazing (though we all have different opinions so it's certainly possible you just don't agree with me). It's a sweet and caramelized feel to it and goes down smooth. Little head, when poured into the snifter I was drinking from, but it had this note at the end of a sugary variety that just hit the palate perfectly.
I was lucky to have it in a growler from the brewery and brought up to Philly for Philly Beer Week at $5 a glass (such a good price I had 2!), but I can't seem to get a hand on it anywhere else. (740 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26.3%

pours cloudy and orange almost like an octoberfest, the sent is one of hops and rubbing alcohol, this one is no joke, the first sip shocks your system as to how much hop can be squesed into one glass, this one isent for the faint of hart, the start is hops the middle screams of hops and the finish is a freight train of hops and alcohol, the one i have is a bit green i will get one and maby crack it in about 10 or 12 years from now i think it will mello and sweeten in time, thank hevens for beers this good (510 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26.3%

This beer lives up to its reputation. The taste was surprisingly more mild then I expected a high content beer like this to be. If you can find it grab it immediately. (167 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26.3%

Nectar of the Gods. The reason I gave it a 4.75 overall is because I have to drive to the East Coast to get it. I live in KC. Worth every penny though. (151 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +26%

Appearance: head dissipates quickly, golden in color

Smell: Hops! floral spice - notes of honeysuckle and sugar

Taste: Wow. Very similar to a barleywine, but much more intense. If someone told you it was a Caramel liquor, you'd likely believe it. Incredible flavor with a ton of complexity. The alcohol is present, but not overpowering

Mouth feel: a sweet attack that coats your tongue. There is a long, hoppy finish.

Overall: This is a powerful beer - much closer to a fine whiskey than a beer. This one is defines what a "sipper" is - no sane person would drink a whole bottle in an evening. Fantastic! (608 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +26%

Got this at Dunedin House of Beer and poured it into a sniffer. Thick head that dissapates quickly, orange/amber in color, some laceing on the glass when swirlled.

Wow Wow Wow. What a awesome smell. I get cirus aromas big time. Also the alcohol is picked up easilly and some pine notes that are a bit more sudel. You can also pick up the sweetness of the malts used to brew this beast!

Damn I died and whent to hop heaven. What a killer taste. Surprisingly sweet when sipped quickly and hugely bitter the longer you keep it in your mouth. Just awesome well worth the 12 dollar price I could sip on this all night!
Very thick almost syrup like. Its quite balanced the sweetness/hops/alcohol wow! (696 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +25.8%

Amazing beer, plain and simple. Check the Dogfish Head website to see when it is available in Total Wine and other liquor stores. Rare to find, great to drink.

For an IPA, surprisingly not very hoppy, at least compared to the 60 and 90 minute brews. And for a beer with quite a punch at 18% ABV, does not taste too strong, until you feel the effects after the last drop. (371 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery