2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Reviews: 1939

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,254 | Reviews: 1,939 | Show All Ratings:
WSB

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

The color is honey, clear, no bubbles, and it seems to have an oily sheen on the head, with only hints of off white lacing remaining. A very thin head returns with a swirl of the glass, but quickly retreats.

Smell is awesome. Huge hops, all hops, it wafts from the snifter and engulfs the nose. Sweet and piney with an alcoholy backside, this aroma comes to you.

Mouthfeel is active and intense. Thick on the palate, oily and alcohol fuzzy on the tongue.

Taste is intense, deep hops, piney, grapefruity hints, with a subtle sweetness and warm finish. Oddly unbitter given the sheer amount of hops.

For the amount of hops, an oddly smooth finish. The hops are super tasty, they don't ruin the palate like with a Stone Ruination IPA. You can really taste the distinctiveness of the hop flowers.

08-08-2011 16:40:13 | More by WSB
HopNelius

2011 Vintage October batch
A-orange red body. one finger head.
Smell-one of the most aromatic beers I have ever had. Citrus hops and a little grassiness coming through.
Taste-citrus hops hit first followed by a piny/grassy taste with a malty finish. Extremely complex.
M-like syrup or wine.
O-drank this out of a very small sniffer glass for New Years. Drank it at the pace I would enjoy a digestif. One of the best beers I have ever had, so complex, drinkable but I wanted to sip it to savor. I am cellaring a 2011 vintage for as long as possible to compare.

01-01-2012 16:58:55 | More by HopNelius
Doobiendo

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

I recently tried this beer during the DC craft beer week event that was held at the DFH Alehouse in Fairfax, VA. It was served endlessly to about 50+ people at the 7PM "tapping" of the keg. 18%abv.

A: The head left by the pour was a solid 1/2 inch of vanilla-mocha color that remained nice and firm for at least 2-3 minutes after the pour. The beer itself was a glorious dark auburn color that gave you a feel that all beers should look as such (OK, OK, maybe just strong IPAs).

S: Smell is the most subjective of all my senses, due to inherent sinus problems. However, the smell of this beer fit directly to that apparent disability. This beer has a smell that deserves a category all of its own. With an abundant smell of the hops (of which I include the aforementioned 'alcohol' smell that others describe) that remains fresh up to the taste, the smells that remain are of molasses and caramel (of which, take your pick).

T: If only I could hold a half-mouthful of this beer for every time I drank a beer. As I tasted, the flavors cascaded over each other with one of the best tasting "hops" taste followed by a sweet, yet not overwhelming molasses type of flavor. Hardly any bitterness whatsoever and fruitful flavors dominating over the former description. For a beer that has 18%abv, this is not only an achievement; it is a master of the art of beer craft.

M: Perfect, for my subjective taste. I could hold this within the mouth for about 5-6 seconds to obtain the flavors until I felt it was just "meant" to be swallowed. As with many of the DFH beers, this beer goes down lighter than expected and is pretty much on par (yet heavier than the 90 Min.) with any other high-gravity brew.

O: I'll admit that the beer cost $10.50 a pour (which were into 12 oz. snifters, that were given for keeps to the customers), but overall it was well worth the cost. I admit that I enjoyed this beer after a hard day's work at the office and arrived 5 minutes before the keg was "tapped," so my taste could have hardly been experienced in a more favorable light. If on draft, I would strongly recommend this beer to anyone who loves the finer qualities of the beverage. I cannot speak for the bottled version, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the finer qualities of this beer were lost in the bottling process (as great as it still may be).

05-15-2012 01:16:13 | More by Doobiendo
Taylor8189

Connecticut

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

First off, this beer is quite possibly the best beer (not just IPA) in the world.

The appearance is typical for an IPA, dark orange, and a cm white head sitting on top.

I gave the smell a 4.5 only because it is very deceiving. The smell is typical for an IPA; citrus, hoppy, a little bit of alcohol, and some piney notes.

Now for the taste...this is where this beer shines. When you read 18% alcohol you're expecting a little bite from every sip..not a hint of alcohol on the initial taste of this beer. Tastes like a ridiculously good DIPA. As this beer got warmer, the flavors came out even more.

The carbonation is perfect, not too much, not too little. The drinkability of this beer is unreal. It's 18% alcohol but i found myself finishing the beer within ten minutes and this was my fourth beer of the night!

Overall, the beer is fantastic. The price is what it is for a reason; its amazing. Possibly the best IPA in the world. Dogfish has really set the bar with this beer.

05-29-2012 02:09:34 | More by Taylor8189
topharry123

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

This beer has a lot of hype about it, and it sure does live up to it ! As the thick aroma hits your nose, you know you are in for a treat. It is bold, has a lot of character and you can certainly taste the alcohol. However, unlike most beers, the strong alcohol flavor takes nothing away from the taste. If anything, it adds to it. This is a beer that you want to sip on and if possible, condition if for a while as it ages very well. Overall, this is one of the best beers around. My only complaint is the appearance is very plain. However, we all know that it doesn't make a bit of difference to the taste which is why this beer gets a perfect overall score in my book.

02-16-2014 03:14:19 | More by topharry123
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

ok, going into this not knowing what to expect, super hops, super alcohol, super good?

A - pours a tea brown, with a white head that thoroughly laces rather quickly

S - Hops, hops, and more hops! a great smell with citrusy aromas with slight twangs of alcohol, vodka-y alcohol aroma

T - WOW!!! velvety smoothness, like a liqueur, surprisingly sweet. Of course the expected hops explosion, but to me, it tastes very well-balanced. This is one of my top 3 beers of all time!

M - what can i say, like drinking syrup, has a thick mouth coating sweetness, but not overkill, ive never had a more extremely well-balanced beer

D - super high, the ABV is the only drawback, dont drink any more than a bottle of this stuff if youre driving.

btw, the price is the only detractor. but worth it, just not every day

well done DFH

03-30-2006 23:45:00 | More by sinstaineddemon
letsgopens

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

Dogfish Head really crushed one out of the park here. This is a HUGE beer. An awesome experience.

Pours a cloudy red amber-gold with a dense milky tan head that retains well and leaves solid lace.

A really great aroma as well. Fruit (light/dark), citrus, peach, spice, and some hops. A honey-like sweetness and a bit of alcohol.

This American Double IPA has massive flavor. Robust and formidable. Wonderfully and complex. A variable whirlwind of flavors all over the palate. The initial sweetness is that of orange blossom honey and light molasses, but intensifies to more resemble pure cane sugar. Caramel and hops. Nice hops. Almost syrupy, with notes of candied fruits. A nice bite on the front of the tongue and citrus toward the back. Stunning.

The texture is smooth and thick leaving a coating on the palate. Heavenly warmth. Even and decadent. There is a distinct alcohol presence but its difficult to comprehend that this beer has a 21% abv.

Definitely a beer to sip and savor. And savor it you will. One on my all time favorites. A must try.

06-03-2007 19:28:54 | More by letsgopens
prsguitarsr4me

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

This. Beer. Has. Balls. 21% is no joke. Pours nice darkish amber w/ not a big head, but it lasts. Smells fantastic - really refreshing and extremely fruity and sweet. Taste is similar - kind of took me by surprise. Its thick and syrupy and really carbonated, all of which are a nice blend with the high alcohol volume. High alcohol makes this a very slow drinker, but each sip is so fulfilling that it works out nicely. Highly recommended - I'll be getting more of this to age for a few years.

10-30-2008 05:04:25 | More by prsguitarsr4me
jsp2

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

This is one mind-altering brew. Had it on tap at the DFH alehouse in Falls Church, I was charged $10.50. Cloudy bronze appearance in the what I think was 12 oz sniffer glass with a reasonable head of foam. The flavor and mouthfeel are excellent. Great marriage of hops and alcohol, this beer will kick your ass if you take a big gulp of it.

12-13-2008 23:50:18 | More by jsp2
dbedway

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

This is a real full bodied IPA. The Brits could have sailed from England to New Zealand and this beer would have not spoiled. I Love it!

A) Beautiful color, lovely lacing
S)The smell reminds me of the lovliest combination of citrus, pine, nuts, and glorious hops.
T) The taste delivers everything the smell promises and more!
M) Very nice...this is a beer you should chew!
D) If you drink more than one, have a designated driver. At 18% ABV, this is not a beer you will want to drink by the 6 pack.

This beer is expensive and worth every penny!

11-06-2009 20:48:53 | More by dbedway
martyl1000

Wisconsin

4.88/5  rDev +20.2%

on tap at hops and Hominey,San Francisco. Awesome. Burnt orange beautiful poor in a snifter with I finger off white head. The aroma is surprisingly sweet Ford.

I love it. Rather than an imperial I pee a, this drinks more like an American style barley wine barley wine. listed at 22 percent ABV.

10-31-2012 00:57:37 | More by martyl1000
jrc01003

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Without a doubt, this is the best beer I have ever had.

While I still consider a rookie when it comes to tasting craft beer, I decided to enjoy a night of Dogfish Head IPA, first sampling the 60 Minute, then trying the 90 Minute variety, and capping it off with a bottle of the 120 Minute.

It took over an hour for my buddies and me to find the package store that we suspected stocked this beer, and it was worth every second. The beer poured roughly, with very little head, but I was still impressed with its evident character in the liquid. The carbonation did nothing special, but such demonstrative beer behavior was unnecesary, since the beer is truly all about the taste.

Before even tasting the beer, I thoroughly smelled it, enjoying it through and through. When I finally brought myself to drinking it, it was literally pure bliss. The first taste was of slight wood feel; it was almost a dull variety of the 60 and 90 Minute, each which featured a strong nutmeg and wood taste. After swirling it around, the hops came straight through, and I knew I was priveleged to have had the opportunity to taste this beer. While it cost me $6.99 for a 12 oz bottle of it, it was worth every penny.

The worst part of the beer was the last sip, since I knew it meant I would have to wait to enjoy such a great beer again. This is the morning after I had my beer tasting, and I'm still drooling and yearning to taste that sweet nectar at least once more.

Buy this beer if you come across it, and drink it slowly. Best buy I have ever made.

06-30-2004 14:28:41 | More by jrc01003
zig77

Oregon

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Savored a 2005 120MIN IPA tonight. Beer poured with a minimal head and displayed a golden copper color in the glass. Aroma relects of a rich hop bouquet and discreet carmel undertones. First taste is an explosion of hop intensity. The balance of the high alcohol content, malt, and hop intensity creates what I would call a suprising sweetness. Subsequent tastes reveal the depths of the malt and hop mingling. The warming effect of the alcohol is evident, but not as intense as in the high-alcohol barleywine and stout offering by Dogfish Head. This beer is a tribute to the power of the hop and is to be treasured.

03-13-2005 08:01:57 | More by zig77
dogger6253

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Golden orange color, lighter toward the bottom. Cloudy and bubbly. Has a nice, pillowy head with great retention and great lacing left behind.

Smells of chocolate, hops, honey, brown sugar, lemon, banana and cloves.

The taste is where this beer REALLY shines though. With banana, cloves, honey, hops, plums, dates, figs, raisins, grapes, pine, grapefruit, ginger, lemon, and alcohol all working together, how can you go wrong? This is a glorious challenge for the palette, one that everyone wins with. Absolutely incredible flavor. A 5.0 might not be a good enough rating.

Medium bodied, little carbonation, but creamy and full of texture. However, there is a slight burn from the alcohol. The taste is so amazing, but I couldn't drink this casually, too much to not sit down and savor.

09-08-2007 16:31:47 | More by dogger6253
Buebie

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

Purchased this bottle from Casanovas in Hudson WI today.
I also have one cellaring from '06 and have wanted to try this, but was reluctant to crack the '06 bottle.

Poured from a 12pz bottle into a snifter.
Head is white, light and fluffy, 2 fingers deep off a rigerous pour.
Hazy amber in color. Retention is medium, little to no laceing.

Big peach marmalade smell, alcahol fumieness, to be expected off a 20+ % beer.
Some grassy floral hop aroma, a bit of bready malt, but mostly overwhelmed by marmalade and alcahol. Smells delicious.

Holy bang me! This is one huge flavored beer!
(This was my actual reaction to tasting it)
I've come to the conclusion that I'm not worthy of reviewing this beer.
But I'll do my best.

Bittering hops with a yeasty bread tone, some dme/ malty wheat like quality.
Sour mash alcahol with a grapefruit zing through the middle and a good dose of carbonation.
Lemon zest mixed with the strongest white wine like flavor. All through this sour and sweet do a happy dance on my tounge, finishing dry with a hop linger and alcahol warming.
Maybe some champagne like flavor qualities?

I'm still not sure exactly what I tasted, that was awsome....

Mild syrup like feel, mostly dry in a champagne like similarity in texter.

I couldnt drink more then one of these in a session, but its a damn fine crafted beer. I will be purchasing more of these to cellar.

07-10-2008 18:52:25 | More by Buebie
schnarr84

Alberta (Canada)

4.84/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

12oz bottle (thanks to BeerThursday) poured into Alaskan tulip
Holy citrus bomb. all i smell is faint hops and a case of oranges. zero booze on the nose which is mind blowing for a 18% ipa. taste is pretty hoppy but again the orange cuts through it so well. this is incredibly a session beer.. if this was toned down alcohol wise i would drink a dozen in a row. probably the holy grail of IPAs.

05-04-2013 18:03:58 | More by schnarr84
EvoRich

4.84/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I was leaving a favorite bar of mine, which has 100 beers on tap, constantly rotating. Sightly intoxicated, I noticed this little cooler right by the entrance/exit. I never even noticed this cooler before, maybe because when I leave I'm always intoxicated. I thought "hey I'll check it out", and right as I thought those words I saw... you guessed it!!! Not 120 minute IPA. I saw Bourbon County Brand Stout. Having had BCBS a few times before, I was instantly stoked! I grabbed a few bottles and started to close the door when I noticed the 120 minute IPA right beside it. Thinking, hmmm, I've had the 90 minute many times before and loved it, knowing 120 is not easy to come by, I grabbed a few. Reluctantly over paying per bottle, I questioned why I'm spending this much money on individual 12ox bottles. But who cares!?

Appearance: Looks close to the 90 minute IPA, Almost a bit more yellowish in color, not as red. Poured into a Tulip glass.

Smell: Hollly cow, citrus. I smell lemon, orange, lime, nothing but citrus. Of course the hops, but I had an over powering scent of citrus. I enjoyed it!

Taste: Hollly cow, citrus...again. Very powerful citrus taste. I was surprised. As it warmed, the alcohol started to shine through. I was half way through and started to feel a buzz. I went and got a bottle of water, as it was a Wednesday. I raved about it to a buddy of mine and highly suggested he drink the bottle he bought. I'm not sure he was as impressed as I was.

Mouthfeel: Thicker than I expected an IPA to be.

Overall: I'm not a big IPA guy. I've tried many IPA's, and ALL of my favorite IPA's are from Dogfish head. Love the 75, 90, 120 and Burton Baton. Not a big fan of the 60. But most other brewery's IPA's I've tried, I've disliked, with exception of a few. Dogfish head has the IPA game down pat, as far as I'm concerned. My go to IPA brewery without a doubt. The 120 did not disappoint. It was nothing like I expected, and was actually quite a surprise.... a good one. I bought two bottles and have one left. I'm going to hang onto it and see it it does in fact age well, as the label suggests.

04-02-2014 01:28:36 | More by EvoRich
SSGPat

4.83/5  rDev +19%

This is still not legal in NC (at 21%, we may never get it here, unless we bootleg). We got it shipped in from Mass. by a friend (a friend with 120 is a friend indeed).

WOW!

a: It is a wonderfull color, but the head doesn't last. With the alcohol content, you wouldn't expect to have the head last long. Also, very slight carbonation.

S: VERY HOPPY! Which makes me hoppy, I mean happy. Excellant!

T: Again, VERY HOPPY! Most wonderful experience.

M: Very BIG beer.

D: The only thing that holds back the drinkability is the ABV. At 21%, you can't drink a lot of it (or you will pay for it in more ways than the hip pocket).

10-14-2005 21:07:21 | More by SSGPat
Byeast

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Appearance: deep , hazy orange / auburn , with a half inch of foam that dissipates quickly to a ring. A fair amount of lacing left on the chalice.

Smell: A multitude of hop aromas assault the senses once you take this wonderful brew to the nose. Citric , piney , oily , green , and a presence of alcohol.

Taste: The hops ride all over your tongue , filling the mouth with an awsome spectacle of what the humulus lupulus is capable of. Mouthfilling , oily , resinous flavors of pine , citrus , slightly floral , earthy(green) , and a bit spicy combined with the warming alcohol. Hop Heaven! As strong as the flavors are , none of them effect the taste in a negitive way.

Mouthfeel: oily , chewy , viscous

Drinkability: For it ABV this beer is remarkably drinkable. The hop flavors are massive and intense , but they do not overwhelm. Any hophead must pay this awsome brew homage. Big thanks to Dogfish Head for crafting such a unique and exellent beer.

11-17-2006 06:12:02 | More by Byeast
dawg

4.83/5  rDev +19%

From a bottle into my bulbous tasting glass. Nice creamy white head topped the golden orange body. Smelled very sweet and citrusy.

Nice hoppy suprising warm from the high ABV. Very sweet. Tastes like whole leaf cascade hops.

I could drink this all night if the ABV was lower.

03-17-2007 18:14:41 | More by dawg
gkatsoris

4.83/5  rDev +19%

A: Okay, beautiful! Golden honey, freshly harvested honey. BEAUTIFUL!!! The head isn't pure white, but there seems to be a tint of grey and tans w/ delicate little bubbles that take a few minutes to dissipate.

S: Sugary (if this can be considered a smell) and obviously hoppy. Not bitter yucky hoppy, but smooth, pleasant, and hypnotizing hoppy.

T: This is the part I've been waiting for. D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!!! Sweet, tangy, hoppy, honey, and nutty. These flavors are all blended together perfectly. Honestly, this is the Holy Grail of any beer I've ever had.

M: Smooth. Smooth. Smooth.

D: Other than drink 2 of these and you may need a nap, smooth, sweet, tangy and absolutely delicious!!!!

08-24-2007 01:32:18 | More by gkatsoris
JizackFH

Vintage 2008 bottle.

A - This beer pours a cloudy dark orange-brown color. It has a small 1.5-finger off-white head on it. The head had decent retention and left some lacing behind on the glass.

S - There is a big sweet caramel maltiness. It is balanced by a big hop character and some booziness. I am also getting notes of brown sugar, pineapple, apricot, raisins, and oranges. This truly smells amazing.

T - This is definitely unlike any beer i've tasted before. Up front there are big flavors of caramel malts, hops, and citrus. There are beautiful hints of fruits both tropical and dark. There is a nice piney and citrus hop character that perfectly balances out the sweet malts. There is some alcohol presence, but for the most part it is devilishly hidden. I am also getting some wood flavors coming through. The finish has some lingering sweet fruitiness, hop bitterness, and a bit of booziness.

M - It has a full body and lower carbonation. It goes down very smooth, and has a rich and creamy character to it. It has a bit of a chewy quality to it as well. It is quite sweet, but there is some nice hop bitterness to balance it out. Also, there is a touch of alcohol warmth in the finish.

O - This has great drinkability. It is definitely a sipper, but great drinkability none the less. The aroma and flavor are just amazing, and it makes me not want to put my glass down. Overall, I really enjoyed this beer, and I am very thankful that I found this bottle hanging around NYC. I definitely recommend picking this up, and giving it a shot. Great job DFH. Cheers.

05-08-2011 07:25:07 | More by JizackFH
nukem5

4.83/5  rDev +19%

A: Pours a truly awesome orange/amber color with thin cap of foam, tiny bubbles flit their way to the top slowly very beautiful.

S: The smell is out of this world and unlike any other beer I've ever tasted ,smelled or saw.

T: The first sip says all, this is a truly magical beer fruity spicy deep in flavors and rich warm, captivating, inviting. After about 3 years of searching this one out finally found it and it was very much well worth it the destination is always a goal but not it calls out to me drink me again. Complex taste float all over the tongue.

M: Rich and full highly alcoholic flavor which increases as it warms.

O: Overall a truly awesome beer and I could never say enough to do it justice.

:-) Thanks Bocktown beer and grill for having this one.

07-20-2011 01:27:15 | More by nukem5
beerman999999

4.83/5  rDev +19%

This is my first review on BA, ever. I felt compelled to post about this, as it is probably the best beer I've had all year (beats out Nugget Nectar on Tap, which was also amazing). I had this on tap at Sunset in Allston, in a 10 oz glass. It's 18+% ABV, but couldn't taste it. Smells of grapefruit, aftertaste of something that I can quite put my finger on (ginger, maybe?). So good, had to to have a second glass, despite the price.

07-27-2011 22:16:15 | More by beerman999999
jondeelee

4.83/5  rDev +19%

Smells of thick, grapefruity hops--as would be suspected--but underlying that is a warm, yeasty and grainy smell, almost like baking bread.

On the tongue, oddly enough, and considering the sheer amount of hops that went in to making this brew, the first taste that comes across is sugar. But we're not talking any old sugar here--more like liquified superfine sugar mixed with vanilla and caramel and the rich, nutty taste of clarified ghee. There are also fruity flavors in here--think extra-sweet apricots, or the smell of fresh roses somehow turned into a candy flavor. Beneath that sugar is, of course, a massive amount of hoppy grapefruit bitterness (this is a beer with an IBU of 120, after all), but it blends surprisingly well with the malts, and doesn't--as might be suspected--end up being the kind of bitter that makes your mouth seize up. There is a large bitter aftertaste, but even that is readily palatable, and leaves you craving another sip.

Overall, I find this an incredible beer, and surprisingly well-balanced, given its nature. Every single individual flavor in the beer has admittedly been turned up to a Spinal-Tapping 11, but it somehow all balances wonderfully, making this easily one of the best beers I've ever had.

A final note for those interested (including dieters): according to the Dogfish Head website, this weighs in at a hefty 450 calories per 12 oz serving.

08-13-2011 20:30:04 | More by jondeelee