120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,122 | Hads: 7,426
4.97/5  rDev +26.8%

2003 Edition, 12oz bottle. Constantly kept cold since purchasing way back when.

This sampling spurred by a roomate opening the bottle and commenting, "gee, this beer tastes funny." Split the beer with him.

Pours out golden amber and sits light garnet in the glass with a smallish white head, keeping a fair skimming and some lacings around the sides.

Amazingly fruity aroma, even after all these years. Soft, juicy grapefruits, oranges, pear with undertones of late-harvest grapes. Mild piney behavior, sugary coatings.

Tastes moderately sweet up front with sugary caramel up and down. Fruitiness dominates, all the afromentioned fruity aromas apply here as well, but in big, sugary doses. Mildly apparent alcoholic tones bring forth a bit of spiciness on the finish.

Rich, creamy and rich, rich, rich in the mouth. Soft and light carbonation and a big, full body.

Even at 21% (was the '03 that high?) this is extrodinarily and exceptionally easy to drink and boasts probably some of the best flavor arrangements I've ever come across. As far as highly suped-up IPAs go, this is on the top rung. Almost no contest. (1,132 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +26.5%

Updates:
4-1-15 - St. Baldricks event at Jamison Pour House with Jen and Ann. Single serving limit, so I saved it for my last. Planet the Elder also on tap. Superb as I had Enjoy By 4/20 earlier in the day.
5-24-15 - 2003 vintage cellared and purchased from Monk's two years ago. Shared with Ryan a few days after his graduation. Nice and smooth. Bourbony with carmel flavors. Low carbonation. Aged very well. (409 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26.3%

Nose on the beer is increadible. Smells like fresh hops! Thouroughly enjoyed kicking back and sipping out of a snifter. The taste was exceptional, very fresh with little after taste. Very well balanced, the high alcohol content does not effect the taste of the beer. (266 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26.3%

Unfortunately, I don't have notes from the night I was able to get my hands on this beer, however I have read some of the horrible comments about it and cannot for the life of me see where anyone could think this doesn't taste amazing (though we all have different opinions so it's certainly possible you just don't agree with me). It's a sweet and caramelized feel to it and goes down smooth. Little head, when poured into the snifter I was drinking from, but it had this note at the end of a sugary variety that just hit the palate perfectly.
I was lucky to have it in a growler from the brewery and brought up to Philly for Philly Beer Week at $5 a glass (such a good price I had 2!), but I can't seem to get a hand on it anywhere else. (740 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26.3%

pours cloudy and orange almost like an octoberfest, the sent is one of hops and rubbing alcohol, this one is no joke, the first sip shocks your system as to how much hop can be squesed into one glass, this one isent for the faint of hart, the start is hops the middle screams of hops and the finish is a freight train of hops and alcohol, the one i have is a bit green i will get one and maby crack it in about 10 or 12 years from now i think it will mello and sweeten in time, thank hevens for beers this good (510 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26.3%

This beer lives up to its reputation. The taste was surprisingly more mild then I expected a high content beer like this to be. If you can find it grab it immediately. (167 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +26.3%

Nectar of the Gods. The reason I gave it a 4.75 overall is because I have to drive to the East Coast to get it. I live in KC. Worth every penny though. (151 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +26%

Appearance: head dissipates quickly, golden in color

Smell: Hops! floral spice - notes of honeysuckle and sugar

Taste: Wow. Very similar to a barleywine, but much more intense. If someone told you it was a Caramel liquor, you'd likely believe it. Incredible flavor with a ton of complexity. The alcohol is present, but not overpowering

Mouth feel: a sweet attack that coats your tongue. There is a long, hoppy finish.

Overall: This is a powerful beer - much closer to a fine whiskey than a beer. This one is defines what a "sipper" is - no sane person would drink a whole bottle in an evening. Fantastic! (608 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +26%

Got this at Dunedin House of Beer and poured it into a sniffer. Thick head that dissapates quickly, orange/amber in color, some laceing on the glass when swirlled.

Wow Wow Wow. What a awesome smell. I get cirus aromas big time. Also the alcohol is picked up easilly and some pine notes that are a bit more sudel. You can also pick up the sweetness of the malts used to brew this beast!

Damn I died and whent to hop heaven. What a killer taste. Surprisingly sweet when sipped quickly and hugely bitter the longer you keep it in your mouth. Just awesome well worth the 12 dollar price I could sip on this all night!
Very thick almost syrup like. Its quite balanced the sweetness/hops/alcohol wow! (696 characters)

4.93/5  rDev +25.8%

Amazing beer, plain and simple. Check the Dogfish Head website to see when it is available in Total Wine and other liquor stores. Rare to find, great to drink.

For an IPA, surprisingly not very hoppy, at least compared to the 60 and 90 minute brews. And for a beer with quite a punch at 18% ABV, does not taste too strong, until you feel the effects after the last drop. (371 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.5%

Proabably the best IPA I've ever had. The alcohol taste is there, but for 21% you couldn't tell until that buzz kicks in :)

This beer reminds me alot of a liqour and has a peachy liquor(for lack of a better description) smell to it. The biggest draw back to this beer is the cost at $8.99 a bottle, but you do get your moneys worth. Don't plan on drinking other IPA's with this beer at the same time because it's in a whole other league. (439 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.5%

Apperance is a hazy orange with a medium head that dissapates into a ring around the glass when drinking. A good amount of lace is present when drinking.

Smell is of hops with citric and pine also present. The alcohol is not as powerfull as I would have thought.

Taste is unbelievable hops all around your mouth. A citric and pine taste is very present too. Everything is so well balenced....awesome for such an extreme beer to be so well balenced.

Mouthfeel is oily and for a 21 Abv it is not overpowering with alcohol.

Drinkability is exceptional and if it wasnt for the 21Abv I could drink this beer all night. I personaly like it better than the 90 min IPA for dogfish. (685 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.5%

I was going to save this for a special occasion, but I figure today is special enough. Pours out more like a normal pale ale than I expected, clear copper body, with very minimal carbonation, but has a head that lingers longer than I expected. The nose hides the ABV very well, I just smell huge hops, quite impressive.

The taste is a through and through hop bonanza. Huge bitter, unrelenting, punishing in some respects. The alcohol adds to the intensely sharp flavors this beer has in store for the consumer. 21%? Yeah, but extremely drinkable for being stronger than some hard alcohol. Wow, DFH, keep it up.

A very huge thanks and dumptruck full of beer karma to Twilight for the awesome sample. (704 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.5%

pours a copper orange color with spare pearl white head and spare lacing. lots of fizzy carbonation. floral hoppy aroma which is probably the most tranquil smell i have ever smelled before. a bit of a perfume like hoppy taste that reminds me of a feeling similiar to falling in love for the first time. the taste of alcohol is apparent but not as forward as i would've thought. long flavor duration that is very sweet and just a tad bit bitter. This is probably if not the best, the second best beer i have ever drank. simply amazing. you will certainly have a really good buzz going after your first one. would be my everyday beer of choice if it wasn't so pricey, and i didn't have work and other shit to do on a regular basis that takes up perfectly good drinking time. if you haven't tried it i suggest you do so now. if you are a lightweight i would take your time this beer will creep up behind you and punch you in the neck. one of the best experiences i've ever had drinking a beer. (990 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +25%

The color is honey, clear, no bubbles, and it seems to have an oily sheen on the head, with only hints of off white lacing remaining. A very thin head returns with a swirl of the glass, but quickly retreats.

Smell is awesome. Huge hops, all hops, it wafts from the snifter and engulfs the nose. Sweet and piney with an alcoholy backside, this aroma comes to you.

Mouthfeel is active and intense. Thick on the palate, oily and alcohol fuzzy on the tongue.

Taste is intense, deep hops, piney, grapefruity hints, with a subtle sweetness and warm finish. Oddly unbitter given the sheer amount of hops.

For the amount of hops, an oddly smooth finish. The hops are super tasty, they don't ruin the palate like with a Stone Ruination IPA. You can really taste the distinctiveness of the hop flowers. (796 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +25%

I have been holding on to this one for several years. 2006 vintage. I was inspired to open this one after watching the Brewmaster episode where they were comparing the older versions and they deemed the 2006 the best. I thought it was time to try it.

I served this 12 oz. brown bottle in a Chouffe tulip glass. The body was a rich golden color. Clear and bright. The second pour made it a little hazy, but still beautiful. The head was modest and left only a light ring of white bubbles.

The smell was deep marmalade and brandy. Malty. Very well hidden alcohol. Complex and interesting.

The taste was worth the wait! The flavors mirrored the aroma. Sweet marmalade and mellow alcohol. Complex but everything worked together. A sweetness coated the palate without becoming cloying. It served to balance the alcohol well. Hops oils and syrupy malts melded together better than it sounds.

The mouthfeel was smooth but expanding carbonation gave it a liveliness. Even the mouthfeel was complex. This has turned into a world class beer. Finally a DFH beer I can love. Generally I'm not a big fan - I don't like the their 60 and 90 min. IPAs at all. Aged 120 is the beer for me! (1,178 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +25%

Excellent beer, however, at 20+% ABV, not for the faint of heart. Wonderful flavor, excellent feel. I typically buy this beer for special occasions, buying 2 - 3 bottles to share with a couple of friends who enjoy beer as much as I do. Last time bought was last week in Providence, RI - where I now live, took it down to Thomaston, GA, where I am from, and shared two bottles a piece with my brother, excellent time! (416 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +25%

Almost as good of a beer as you can get

Appearance- Pours a beautiful orange color a fingers width of head. Moderate lacing.

Taste- Booze is hidden very well. Hops, pine, and some malt take over. Very dangerous beer that seems to be in the 6-8% ABV range.
Overall- This is a must on any beer connoisseur. Right up there with Zombie Dust, Pliny the Elder, Heady Topper, and Black Note Stout. (392 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I had one that wasn't aged and it was excellent! Super excited to see how they change over the years. A tough beer to find here in Houston, looking forward to my next one. (171 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +24.7%

2011 Vintage October batch
A-orange red body. one finger head.
Smell-one of the most aromatic beers I have ever had. Citrus hops and a little grassiness coming through.
Taste-citrus hops hit first followed by a piny/grassy taste with a malty finish. Extremely complex.
M-like syrup or wine.
O-drank this out of a very small sniffer glass for New Years. Drank it at the pace I would enjoy a digestif. One of the best beers I have ever had, so complex, drinkable but I wanted to sip it to savor. I am cellaring a 2011 vintage for as long as possible to compare. (559 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

One of my favorite beers of all time

Excellent finish and clean taste.Not as hoppy as some IPA'S. Can not tell that it is 21% by the taste, only when you give it time to process in the liver!!

Very hard to find sometimes since it it only released 3 times yearly

Excellent Job Sam (288 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

First off, this beer is quite possibly the best beer (not just IPA) in the world.

The appearance is typical for an IPA, dark orange, and a cm white head sitting on top.

I gave the smell a 4.5 only because it is very deceiving. The smell is typical for an IPA; citrus, hoppy, a little bit of alcohol, and some piney notes.

Now for the taste...this is where this beer shines. When you read 18% alcohol you're expecting a little bite from every sip..not a hint of alcohol on the initial taste of this beer. Tastes like a ridiculously good DIPA. As this beer got warmer, the flavors came out even more.

The carbonation is perfect, not too much, not too little. The drinkability of this beer is unreal. It's 18% alcohol but i found myself finishing the beer within ten minutes and this was my fourth beer of the night!

Overall, the beer is fantastic. The price is what it is for a reason; its amazing. Possibly the best IPA in the world. Dogfish has really set the bar with this beer. (987 characters)

bottled on 5/10/07 for consumption on 7/21/14

Appearance - pours a muddy, brackish plum-brown. Just a faint cover of bubbles, barely sustaining a collar.

Aroma - rum-soaked shortbread and caramel. A boozy citrusy element that is not like Grand Marnier, but it makes me think of it just the same. A touch of plums and soy.

Taste - hard Christmas candy with the weird fruit filling. Light citrus but its there. Extremely warming in the throat and belly, mmm. A light smack of hops, not near enough to balance, just gives a little nip. Some light soy and/or anise as well. Lots of fun flavors to pick out and enjoy. Unbelievably easy to drink for its strength. Yes, the alcohol is certainly evident but the beer's flavors are plenty intense and integrated enough for it to work out wonderfully.

Mouthfeel - impressive carbonation seven+ years later. The body is big without becoming heavy, which could lend too much weight to the sugary aspects of the beer.

Overall - Excellent stuff at both three and seven years, I'll give a new bottle a whirl next time, though I suspect fresh hops rule the day. Toasting 20K on the fitbit - cheers!
***

2003 Edition sampled on 3/18/06
Appearance - pours a clouded light orange color, a snappy but short-lived head on top. 3.5

Aroma - a new experience on this one. I pick up the initial expected fruit and booziness, though not to the degree I expected. But then I get this unmistakeable spicy aroma. A cooking spice, what is it, I know the smell...then it hits my brain - curry! Are my hands clean? Sure enough, and I just washed out the glass from my last beer. Sniff again - curry again. Perhaps this is the effect on my senses when hops get over-saturated into a beer? I don't know. I like curry but I am unsure of what to expect on the taste. 3.5

Taste - wow. No curry here, but this is in the 'beer candy' genre. Intensely sweet, as if it's been concentrated. Orange candy, honey, pineapple, some mildly spicy hop component, and now and then a breath of that curry, but barely. Big alcohol finish, but not as brash as I thought it'd be. Beautifully supportive of the hops flavor, I don't think I can remember a beer being so hoppy and yet so sweet instead of bitter. Without fail, every time I take a sip, I get a whiff of that curry, but it generally does not appear in the flavor profile with any force. Finishes wet, warm and coating. 5

Mouthfeel - very thick, the carbonation holds its own among the heavyweight flavors. 5

Drinkability - I am so glad I grabbed this and am hopeful that I can wait another 5 or 6 years to sample the other one. 5 (2,597 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

I recently tried this beer during the DC craft beer week event that was held at the DFH Alehouse in Fairfax, VA. It was served endlessly to about 50+ people at the 7PM "tapping" of the keg. 18%abv.

A: The head left by the pour was a solid 1/2 inch of vanilla-mocha color that remained nice and firm for at least 2-3 minutes after the pour. The beer itself was a glorious dark auburn color that gave you a feel that all beers should look as such (OK, OK, maybe just strong IPAs).

S: Smell is the most subjective of all my senses, due to inherent sinus problems. However, the smell of this beer fit directly to that apparent disability. This beer has a smell that deserves a category all of its own. With an abundant smell of the hops (of which I include the aforementioned 'alcohol' smell that others describe) that remains fresh up to the taste, the smells that remain are of molasses and caramel (of which, take your pick).

T: If only I could hold a half-mouthful of this beer for every time I drank a beer. As I tasted, the flavors cascaded over each other with one of the best tasting "hops" taste followed by a sweet, yet not overwhelming molasses type of flavor. Hardly any bitterness whatsoever and fruitful flavors dominating over the former description. For a beer that has 18%abv, this is not only an achievement; it is a master of the art of beer craft.

M: Perfect, for my subjective taste. I could hold this within the mouth for about 5-6 seconds to obtain the flavors until I felt it was just "meant" to be swallowed. As with many of the DFH beers, this beer goes down lighter than expected and is pretty much on par (yet heavier than the 90 Min.) with any other high-gravity brew.

O: I'll admit that the beer cost $10.50 a pour (which were into 12 oz. snifters, that were given for keeps to the customers), but overall it was well worth the cost. I admit that I enjoyed this beer after a hard day's work at the office and arrived 5 minutes before the keg was "tapped," so my taste could have hardly been experienced in a more favorable light. If on draft, I would strongly recommend this beer to anyone who loves the finer qualities of the beverage. I cannot speak for the bottled version, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the finer qualities of this beer were lost in the bottling process (as great as it still may be). (2,344 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

This beer has a lot of hype about it, and it sure does live up to it ! As the thick aroma hits your nose, you know you are in for a treat. It is bold, has a lot of character and you can certainly taste the alcohol. However, unlike most beers, the strong alcohol flavor takes nothing away from the taste. If anything, it adds to it. This is a beer that you want to sip on and if possible, condition if for a while as it ages very well. Overall, this is one of the best beers around. My only complaint is the appearance is very plain. However, we all know that it doesn't make a bit of difference to the taste which is why this beer gets a perfect overall score in my book. (671 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery