Follow our progress ...

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,219 | Ratings: 7,882
3.86/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep amber into my DFH tulip with a 1/2" head that quickly dissipates and leaves a thin ring of foam on top. Minimal lacing clings to the sides. Smell doesn't really knock my socks off like I expected. Somewhat understated compared to dank Midwest coastal style I prefer. I was expecting a huge resinous smack in the face, and this just didn't deliver that same wallop that some of the better DIPA's deliver. At first sip Initially I was impressed with the sweet malt, barleywine, backbone of this beer. But the longer this lingered on my palate, the medicinal, champagne like, notes overpowered those characteristics, sent this review sideways. I struggle to detect the more desirable hop characteristics I crave. I'm surprised at how underwhelmed I am with his beer, since I am a big fan of both the 60 and 90 minute DFH IPA releases. I guess I'm spoiled by the quality of breweries like Dogfish Head, Founders, Russian River, and the like. I shouldn't expect a smashing success with each years' release of a big name brew. Even Miguel Cabrera strikes out with runners in scoring position on occasion.

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

I am going on the assumption that I tried this for much the same reason others have: dry hopped for a month?! crazy high abv?! Dogfish Head?!I consider 60 minute to be a session beer, and 90 min to be a solid hour long sipper, and I imagined this would be like 90 minute, but with a flavor wallop. Instead, it just seemed like they poured some booze into a perfectly good 90 min. Sure this was a bit more complex and layered, but ultimately, I would pick the 90 min every time in the future, especially considering one 120 bottle costs the same as a 4-pack of 90.

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a honey Amber color. Aroma is a little sweet, very resinous and super malty. Flavor is sweet malty and has some bitterness from the hops. A little crisp champagne like quality. Feel is solid, a little thick but disciples quickly. Overall an interesting beer, solid.

2014 bottle. Color is deep amber. Caramel and malty sweetness on the nose, with alcohol.
Very sweet on the palate. A bit of an alcohol burn going down, especially as it warms.
Not for everyone. Glad I had the experience.

This beer is like the Wu Tang Clan. It ain't nuthin to %#$& with. The boundaries of hops and alcohol are pushed to the limit. I understand that this brew is not for everyone. I enjoyed the experience. It did take me a couple hours to drink a 12 oz bottle. Open it up, have a sip. Have several sips with a good dinner. A few more as you watch the sun set. Not an everyday beer - for special occasions, or to make an ordinary occasion special. Peace.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours with a deep Amber color with a nice head. Carmel and hops aroma. Light tangerine to a Carmel to hops not strong with a booze finish. Excellent dipa. One of the best from dog fish.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

Draught, sixtel. Tapped June 8. 8oz snifter pour.

Great color, very strong nose, as expected. Heavy, scotchy taste and long finish. Not recommended for the faint of heart - or hops - & to be frank, I would only drink one. Can't imagine sitting down to sip a few of these.

Should have let it sit in the cold barrel another month or two before tapping. Note for September.

2.97/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Un-aged, as fresh as possible, pouring orange amber, 120 shows a surprising amount of tan carbonation. It sounds like cola, showing a lot of promise, but disappears just as quickly, leaving only champagne like bubbles. The alcohol leaves some legs on the glass, like wine.

Smells like a full-on pine forest, with candy, caramel, and grapefruit combining in such a way I've not experienced before, all coming together as one. Graham and honey aromas surface as it warms.

Again, hot ass pine forest emerges first in flavor. Actually, it tastes more like a wild fire. Then, grapefruit-cherry cough syrup. This is extreme, but what else would you expect from this?

At times, there is an unreal amount of froth on the palate for the style and ABV. But all in all, it is truly wine-like, even without aging. This is some really hot, fire-breath inducing booze.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

12 fl. oz. bottle
Served in a snifter
Bottle 05/01/09

This beer pours a deep amber color bordering on copper. Very little head forms atop of it.

It has a very sweet aroma. I get dates and figs. The hops have completely faded leaving a sweet, syrupy aroma.

It has a really sweet taste. I get fig and dates like in the aroma. Also some brown sugar and molasses are present. It comes across as an English barleywine at this point in its maturity.

Thick, viscous, syrupy mouthfeel

I had been saving it for some reason. Ohio getting the 12% abv law lifted seems like a good reason to drink it. Now I need a fresh one to compare.

Specifically the 2014 release was nothing short of MASTERFUL. HOWEVER the 2016 did not show up the same. 2016 release of the 120 was sweet and a pale comparison of the 2014.

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Fresh, this was not so good. Almost medicinal with very harsh alcohol. Then I just had a bottle that was aged 4 years and it was much more balanced. More like a barleywine, with delicious caramel maltiness and well hidden alcohol. Hop presence is muted due to the age. Excellent, tasty beer worth aging.

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bright/copper color. Candy/citrus hops & caramel toasted malts. Barleywine-ish. Claims to be the HOLY GRAIL, as my first DIPA I may have believed that but as I have tried more its been finding its way down my top 10 list. However I do have some that have been aging for almost a year now and I will be drinking those soon. I will write another review at that time. DRINK LOCAL

3.3/5  rDev -16.7%

Well I knew I should have let this guy sit. Might have been a gem after a year long age...
But what can I say, I like drinking beer I haven't tried yet. Oh Well, there's always the next bottle.

Waaay too boozy, has a nice golden amber hue though... If you like beer with that malt liquor taste: drink immediately; if not, do yourself a favor and let this bad boy age.

Cheers!

1.94/5  rDev -51%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

12 oz poured to tulip

Great amber color with nice head, mild haze.

Odd aroma, floral, cough syrup, bandaid, sweet over ripe fruit? Fairly offensive.\

Flavor worse than the aroma. Sickly sweet with little interesting going on either the malt or the hop side.\

Mouth feel is heavy and cloying.

Amazingly hard to get my hands on , don't think I'll bother with it in the future. It's like a wine cooler and a barley wine had kids out of wedlock. They say it ages well, but I don't see how aging is going to clean up this hot mess, other than the offensive aroma maybe dropping off some. Love DFH and I don't think I've ever rated anything from them under 3.5, so this took me by surprise in a big way. Seriously, not a beer I care to purchase again.

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nice amber color with a quickly dissipating one finger head. Smell is mostly hops but with a noticeable malty sweetness and a bit of alcohol. Taste follows the smell being a little sweeter than one would expect from an imperial IPA. Some alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is very nice, a little sticky. The ABV is very well hidden.

4.9/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Best IPA I have had yet. Hoppy smooth taste and the high alcohol content doesn't really hit you until much later. I would never have guessed how strong this one was.

4.16/5  rDev +5.1%

From the growler filled at Total Wine in Fredericksburg, it pours amber with a small head. Hops and alcohol in the nose (as might be expected considering the ABV). The mouth enjoys the pretty well balanced hops and is tingled by the alcohol. Dangerous stuff!

4.84/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Got on trade! Nice 12oz bottle served at 9deg C in a tulip. 2015 edition. Fresh!

A- Opens well and pours a nice 1/2"high white head that lasts for nearly 5mins before film out. Nice dark gold almost a honey colour. WOW.

S- Sweet. Malt. Hops. WOW. Has an at the end popsicle scent. Nice

T- Hops. Hops. Hops. This is a barley wine and an IPA combined. Very good. Keep going boys as this is a wonderful blend between barley wine and imperial pale ale. The barley wine wins out. Nice experience to say the least. A nice flavor experience and I want them to keep going this way

M- Sticky and sweet and expected

O- Nice brew. I like this one. Has a heavy hop and huge malt presence. Super rich and thick. I like this one a lot. One thing you should do is split as one bottle is a lot.

Food Pairing
This wonderful IPA slash barley wine went well with........ Sticky pork sweet and sour bamboo salad with peppers, onion and garlic. Touch of ginger, brown sugar. Very good to throw in a smidgeon of whole grain mustard. Super nice. Enjoy

Thx Dave

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My coworker offered me a 12 oz. bottle of this from the office minifridge since our kegerator was tapped out. Bottled on 4/18/14! Poured into a plastic cup.

Look: Yellowish brown and very cloudy. A lot of sediment came out of the bottom of the bottle at the end of the pour. Not a looker!

Smell: Sweet, intensely malty, fruity, boozy. Golden raisins. Not too much hoppiness.

Taste: Very hard-hitting. Extremely boozy, sweet, and a little bitter. Pretty tasty!

Feel: Syrupy. Thick body with not much carbonation.

Overall: I think this 2-year-old bottle has aged very well. Not too hoppy anymore, but still extremely boozy and flavorful.

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into pint glass from 12oz bottle. Beer is cloudy orange, with no head.

Smells like walking into an evergreen forest. This beer is all hops.

The taste begins with a pronounced caramel maltiness as the high carbonation tickles your tongue. The hops come crashing down quickly - but the sweetness brings out more of a citrusy flavour, like a slightly-off tangerine, or those chocolate covered orange rind candies. The hops linger on the palate, seemingly forever. I will taste hops until the day I die.

Overall, it's a pleasant deviation from "enormous hop bomb" but still not going to be attractive to people who are not hop bomb fans.

A - Pours a murky amber color with a small head.
S - Aroma is sweet and malty.
F - Flavor is sweet, caramel, malty and boozy. Surprised by sharp alcohol burn on the finish.
M - Medium mouth feel, below average carbonation.
O - Wow this is a big beer. This would probably be a little better with some age on it.

A-a bright orange amber color with a thin layer of white head around the top

S-caramel malt, tropical fruits, and citrus fruits

T-taste is similar to the smell with a bready malt backbone, tropical fruits, citrus, and a pretty sizeable alcohol kick

M-medium to full body and moderate carbonation

Overall a pretty extreme beer and on the expensive side, but worth having at least once

3.94/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Look: Golden amber color, creamy light tan lead. Unfiltered
Smell: Alcohol, citrus/pine hops
Taste: Follows nose. Fair amount of sweet pale malt as well. Lots of alcohol, not as bitter as I expected.
Feel: A little syrupy, medium/heavy bodied, warm, moderate carbonation. Smooth

A lot sweeter than I expected. the sweetness helps tame the alcohol and bitter hops, but all three flavors are stilll strong. I felt that the sweetness was a bit overpowering.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

On tap, pours a deep orange with a good-sized head. Smells primarily of roast malt, like a stout, with little hint of hops. Tastes more like a barleywine: sweet caramel mostly. An almost complete lack of bitterness shows the IBU rating has little to do with perceived bitterness. Feel is thick and sticky. Overall a unique beer, quite good, and not exactly like anything I've ever had.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Beautiful amber. Cloudy, almost opaque. Thin head dissipates quickly.

S - Alcohol, caramel and pine.

T - Amazingly malty for an IPA. Drinks closer to a barleywine but remains balanced by the extreme hoppiness buried within. Definite alcohol burn at the end.

F - Solid mouth feel, almost closer to that of a stout than an IPA. Mouth feel almost dissipates due to the high APV.

O - Insanity in a bottle. Malt, hops, burn and repeat.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery