120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,107 | Hads: 7,368
3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Way too extreme but worth having once. Very high IBU with tons of malting on the other side. I had no clue it was 21% no wonder I knocked myself out. Must be had with evening meal, but still some stomach burning. I would like to cellar, my criticism being I could not find a date on this small bottle. (301 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured a cloudy burnished brass color, with little head, yet a small skiff of foam which lasts and lasts.

The aroma is malt. Sweet malt. Yes, this is an IPA, so there are some fruity hops in the nose, but the malt truly dominates. How could it not, really? Sure, 120 IBUs is high, but 45 degrees plato (20% abv) is higher still. The beer has an aroma of grape juice, plums, raisins... almost a Hawaiian Punch smell. Quite attractive, really.

The taste is as sweet as the smell. Again, don't let the 120 IBUs throw you. This is getting into fortified wine territory, but made from barley instead of wimpy little grapes for the foo-foo, hold out your pinky, spit it out when tasting crowd. It isn't cloying, but is damned close. It tastes quite a bit like a port... perhaps a white port. Very, very fruity, full of grape, plum, and other dark fruit flavors. Very good.

The mouthfeel is, as one would expect, decidedly on the heavy side. This is oily, thick, chewy... and appropriate. You'll know you're drinking something, to be sure.

This brew is actually drinkable, in small quantities. I'm not sure I could do even a 12 ounce bottle by myself. The alcohol cacn become overwhelming if drank too quickly, the sweetness goes past cloying if you try to guzzle, but sit back, take it in a sip at a time, and this works wonders. Interesting, in a unique sort of way. (1,373 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%

12 oz. Bottled 3/29/06 (I think it's '06) but anyway, the bottle says right on the front "Ages Well." It mentions on the side "Enjoy now or age for a decade or so."

I'd like to enjoy it now.

In the oversize wine glass, it's a light orange. It's hazy with a well laced white head.

Oh my goodness, a pungent citrus. It's sweet but slightly medicinal. I've never experienced anything quite like it.

The flavor profile begins rather sweet. It suddenly becomes very bitter which is accompanied by an intense alcohol burn. As fast as that arrives, it gives way to a honey/citrus sweetness once again. As I continue, that bitter shock goes away, and what once was very sweet, suddenly takes on a tart cherry-like note. It's surprising. It tingles on the tounge.

To say the least, this is not a subtle beer. I wouldn't go haphazardly passing this out to friends. One has to make sure they are prepared for a beer like this. The hops do beckon me to want more. At this point I usually check the ABV....wow, this will kick my ass. Now I'm curious to see how it ages. Check my re-review in 2016. (1,099 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

The 2006 12oz bottle release.

Pours a nice amber honey colour with frothy head, with great lacing.

Very strong aroma, with extreme hops and some sweet fruit.

The hops and ABV hit you smack in the mouth. The alcohol burn is apparent but warming, and the brew is smooth overall. Some subtle sweetness as well.

This is a sipping brew. Tasty, but strong. More like a triple or quadruple IPA. (399 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Bought a 2003 vintage bottle at http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1262 for $9 a 12oz. I thought it was worth it. Poured it into a bowl looking glass, like a snifter, but with no stem.

A: Dark honey amber color and a nice cream color head that faded somewhat quickly, but stayed longer than I expected. There is beautiful, sticky lacing around the glass.

S: Smells sweet, very strongly of honey, and some alcohol.

T: Sweet honey and alcohol, just like it smells. It almost doesn't taste like beer. As the honey fades, moderate bitterness takes over. Aftertaste is mostly bitter with some sweetness lingering, and a very faint hoppyness.

M: Mouthfeel is almost like syrup, and the carbonation is pretty mild.

D: This is something I need to sip. It goes down surpisingly well for such high abv, however the abv and sweetness make this beer something I would only have one of at a time.

The sweetest beer I've ever had, and my first 120 IPA. I hope to get a fresh bottle to compare at some point. (1,013 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

My only response to this "beer" is to treat it as you would treat a fine liquer. Heck, it's 42 proof

The appearance is wonderful, fairly light head with very tight bubbles. Carbonation is minimal in this beer.

Loved the aroma, not as aggressively hoppy as I was anticipating.

The taste is super concentrated, hints of bitter citrus (maybe grapefruit?)

The mouthfeel is almost too thick, even syrupy.

Drinkability, if you treat it right it's very drinkable. Split a glass with two other people. Savor it. (519 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

poured into a wide mouth goblet glass. This beer has a nice amber-orange color with thin white head and loose lacing. Smells like honey sweetened citrus, mainly grapefruit, with a light pine and clove background. This beer taste great!! Sweet honey/sugary flavor in the forefront, slight citrus/pine dryness in the backtaste. This beer has a thick, almost syrupy mouthfeel. Very drinkable, especially for being 21%. The alcohol is presented well for such a strong brew. I really liked this beer; however, I have not had any other IPA that presented itself like this. To me this was more like an excellent meade or perhaps a barleywine. I actually didn't know it was an IPA because my husband poured it and said "drink this." I would gladly drink it again! (755 characters)

This beer was purchased at the Party Source for $8.99. The beer was poured into a wide mouthed wine goblet.

Appearance: The beer pours a hazy amber coloration. The head is a thin off white coloration. Speckles of lacing remains on the glass.

Smell: The beer is loaded with a sweet grapefruit and nutty piney breadyness.

Taste: Wow! This taste like a very sweet bready pine and citrus explosion. The taste is very, very sweetly boozey. The beer has a massively nutty and malty backbone.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is very sweet and sticky. Man this beer is over the top. The beer is full bodied. The beer avoids being sickly sweet due to spicy alcohol and maybe a bit of hops. Honestly the hops really didnt play a big part in the beer. The beer is pretty drinkable inspite of its massive alcohol content. It might even be a bit irresponsible to not have alcohol content present on the label. Gods of beer this beer kicks like a donkey. This beer is wierdly very easy to drink. This beer was almost like drinking an over proof JW Lees Harvest Ale. This beer is fantastic and I can harldly wait to see what a year or five will do to this beer. (1,160 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%

Served from bottle into standard pint glass.

Pours a light/medium amber color....slightly hazy. Huge fluffy white head, great retention....lots of lacing.

Aroma is fresh piney and citrus hops. Not nearly as overpowering as I was expecting, actually pretty mild. Also has a pretty good dose of caramel malt sweetness in the nose.

Taste is malty. Very sweet, caramel malt almost to the point of a barleywine. Hops actually take a backseat. They are present, but honestly seem a little overpowered by the malt....hard to really get a feel for their characteristics. Finish is sweet, and warm with some alcohol coming through.

Mouthfeel is thick & full bodied. Low but good carbonation. Alcohol warming is pretty much instantaneous. Certainly not something you're going to drink more than one of in a sitting....or even a day maybe. Worth trying again, though. (868 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured into a tulip glass. Hazy golden-bronze color with a creamy lingering white head. A bit of lacing.

Bitter alcoholic aroma.

The first sip knocks you off your danged feet! Actually, so does the second. Big-time alcoholic kick, and some bitterness - but more sweet than bitter. Really really sweet actually. Powerful sweet and estery qualities, but absolutely no acidity to it at all. It's so strong, in fact, that I can barely tell if I'm tasting overt hops or none at all. Very syrupy/creamy/sticky mouthfeel.

As far as drinkability goes... it's not fair to rate this beer on drinkability, being that it's freakin 21%. This is not a beer that you drink an entire 12 oz. of in one sitting. I got a 12 oz. bottle that I shared with THREE people. Delicious as it was, it was enough for us. If you wanna put some bucks down, TRY IT! But beware...

$8 per 12 oz. bottle (880 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +5.9%

I sampled the 12 oz bottle version. Pours a hazy maple color while barely sustaining a finely carbonated head which laces well.

Nose is loaded with plent of citrus fruits, sugar and some alcohol notes. Alcohol isn't as noticeable as you would think.

This brew has a medium body with minimal carbonation. Citrus and pine laden hop tone with a crazy sweet malt backing. Alcohol is well hidden on the palate but once it hits the old gut zang! Fruit notes are all over the place: grapefruit, pineapple along with an almost zany candy sugar sweetness. This is once beast of a brew, as such I don't think I can actually offer an objective score on the drinkability department as I don't have a benchmark on 20% brews. Four sips into this and I am already feeling it. This is colossal, but almost too sweet. Well worth a try, if you don't plan on drinking anything else for another two hours. I would love to get my hands on one that has been aged about 4 years. (961 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -8.7%

A: Poured a hazy copper color with a pillowy off white head which stood tall and proud and left thick sticky lacing.

S: Has almost a bitter sweet smell to it. Major scent of hops with notes of sweet maltiness.

T: Bittersweet almost to the level of some barleywines. Tasted strongly of alcohol and a sweet almost caramel-esque flavor. Not really what I expected but still good.

M: Very very thick. It seems to coat your entire mouth when it enters. With the high alcohol content it burns your mouth and throat as it is drank. It almost has that mouthwash alcohol burn feel too it.

D: This is a beer to be taken in limited quantities. It's not a beer I could drink more then one in a sitting. Seeing that I also bought Rouges 2IPA That one is going to have to wait seeing I have to leave soon and It might not be wise to drink it after this monster. So in the end if you want a beer that you will only drink one beer and be good for a bit this is it. (961 characters)

Stop!!!
I don't think this beer should be reviewed as a DIPA... It is great, but is much more like a Barley Wine to me.
Pours a slightly cloudy golden orange. A nice white head provides great lace.
Carmelized malt. A raisin and date quality with a touch of alcohol in the nose.
Good flavor, but not consistent with a DIPA. A little sweet like a barley wine. Alcohol is evident. Raisins and date flavors are strong.
Full bodied. A touch syruppy and a touch touch dry. Good carbonation.
Look, this is good, but this is more of a barley wine... which I love and still score nicely. (584 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

One of my favorite beers of all time

Excellent finish and clean taste.Not as hoppy as some IPA'S. Can not tell that it is 21% by the taste, only when you give it time to process in the liver!!

Very hard to find sometimes since it it only released 3 times yearly

Excellent Job Sam (288 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

Tasted at my new favorite Chicago bar, Hopleaf.

The holy grail of IPA's, indeed - I've waited a while for this one.

The pour releases a sunset orange brew with a sticky, thin white head. From the first drop out of the bottle, the warm, citrusy, sticky, floral, fruity (mango, pineapple, lemon), hops consume the nostrils - it's wonderful.

The taste is equally as pleasing. The beer almost feels like resin - sticky, piney, but not in a bad way - and bursts with a wide range of flavors - the mangoes, pineapples, and lemons mentioned above, along with a biscuity element, a chewy candy sweetness, and of course, the warm tingle of the alcohol. Surprisingly, the 21% doesn't send my tastebuds running, though the combination of that and the massive hops profile obliterates all other tastes in my mouth (at the time, this included garlic, bleu cheese, and a heavily spiced steak).

I'm glad I saved this for dessert, because it left me satisfied, cleansed, and thoroughly impressed.

I can't wait for the next opportunity to bask in 120's glory... (1,061 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Aroma: Very sweet malty aroma with a very grassy florally aroma. Caramelization and alcohol are present

Appearance: Very clear with a beautiful deep reddish/copper color. White head retention that lasts till the last drop.

Flavor: Very sweet melted candy like malt flavor up front, huge floral hop flavor with a very delicate hop bitterness. Hints of chlorophyll and pepper tones and a very fruity almost "fruit loop" or cotton candy like flavor. Alcohol is present.

Mouthfeel: A smooth full bodied ale

Overall Impression: Huge beer with extremely complex flavors. A sweetness that lasts for a while and finishes with a light delicate bitterness. I liked it more when at room temperature. A great beer right after a steak dinner, I think. Dogfish Head's 120 IPA is an Imperial India Pale Ale boiled for 2 hours while being continuously hopped with high alpha American hops, then dry-hopped daily in the fermenter for a month and aged for another month. (965 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

I picked up a bottle of DFH 120 Minute IPA at a specialty shop to taste, review and enjoy. I poured this beer into a fute.

Pours a rich gold color and is slightly hazy. A sticky foamy one-finger white head forms and is quite resilient. The head is the consistency of whipped cream, and produces heavy lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell is fairly strong and typical of an IPA. It is a sweet and fruity smelling beer. There is a strong hop aroma, and evergreen or pine scent as well. The alcohol smell is hidden well by the other aromas.

The taste is also all about hops, and a bit one-dimensional really. The alcohol lends sweetness to the citrus flavor, making for a sweet grapefruit taste. It’s overly sweet and hoppy.

Mouth feel is quite thick and syrupy. This is a good sipping beer, with the consistency of a liqueur. Sip only and sip slowly.

This is not a particularly drinkable beer. It’s extreme flavor, heavy mouth feel and high alcohol content make it more of an experience than a drink. It’s price is as extreme as it’s flavor. I don’t think I’ll have 120 Minute IPA again, but I am glad I had it once. (1,144 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Poured an absolute gorgeous color of orange with a wonderful creamy looking half inch of head. Carbonation races to the top of the glass furiously. I really like the way this looks. Nice lacing too. The nose consists of syrupy malt and syrupy hops. Taste feels as if it's yet to be fleshed out. I bet some time under the belt would do wonders here. I get a hint of pine, sweet malt, and actually pretty well disguised alcohol considering the ABV. Not very complex yet, but I would surmise that's what the cellar is for with this beer. What I would give to try a 5 year old version of this. Mouth is rich and creamy. Drinkability suffers due to the immature taste. If it were ripe though, I can only guess that it would be off the chart. Thank you Dogfish Head for being adventurous in your brewing. Please continue to tread new grounds. (836 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +0.5%

This one gushed out a lovely, transparent amber bottom full of carbonation, with thin white lace on top forming a very small head.

Sweet, fruity nose, with phenols and alcohol. Also, strong on grapefruit.

Heavy carbonation with strong hop bitterness and a warming alcohol presence. Cloying fruitiness, ginger and spice, and a dominant phenol character in the taste. Biting tartness with a medium body, but surprisingly not too heavy or overwhelming.

Beware of this one, alcohol is VERY well masked. Not a bad showing from DFH at all. (544 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer poured a cloudy orange with a head like whipped egg-whites. Interesting looking beer.

The aroma of this one was sweet and there was some good pineapple aroma. There was some hop presence but not like you would expect.

The flavor is very nice. Not as hoppy as I thought it would be because the sweetness kind of balances it all out. There is some pineapple like flavor as well, a lot of residual sweetness here but it is tasty. There is some warming from the 22 ABV%. Great tasting beer.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with medium carbonation. Coats the mouth nicely.

This is a pretty drinkable beer for how strong it is. For the most part, the alcohol is pretty well hidden. It's obviously there but it doesn't hit you like you think 22% would. (765 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle
WOW this is a Barley wine in my book, in the same caliber of Bigfoot ale.
Nice creamy head, extraordinary lace all the way down. Incredible blast of flavors right off the bat. Malty sweetness balanced by big hop bitterness. great beer WAY expensive. would love to have some several years after cellaring, i think the flavors would blend and improve even more. (369 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

12 Oz bottle sampled through the efforts of dirtylou and The No BS BIF.

First I write out my will before approaching this hop bomb.

A pour in to my Duvel Tulip gives me a new motor oil thick and colored brew. A near clear apricot colored beer with a little bit of head, which is impressive as at 21% ABV this should be able to dissolve any head.

Smell is quite sweet and surprisingly fruity to the nose more like a barley wine than a mega IPA. Lots of aroma of melons and some pine and grapefruit. This has what I would call the Dogfish Signature aroma all over it, that melon smell that DFH seems to put in all its bigger beers. Bit of spicy black pepper is noticeable mostly from all the ethanol in this beer.

Taste is very sweet with a large hit of melons, fruit and raw sugar cane in the first taste. Very sweet beer with tons of melon and fruit flavors, this just isn't one of the better Mega IPAs like Pliny The Younger or FFF Dreadnaught.

Mouthfeel is syrup.

Not a super drinkable brew here. Super sweet and thick with a high alcohol content this is decidedly inferior to the best from Three Floyds or Russian River. (1,141 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Review from 3/14/15 (ratings changed to reflect this review) - On-tap at Yard House. Still a little too much alcohol and too thick for me, but I appreciate this more that I used to. An interesting beer for sure, but still not something I think I'll ever be craving.

Original review from 5/12/06

Look - 4.0
Smell - 2.5
Taste - 2.5
Fell - 2.5
Overall - 2.0
Avg - 2.49

Sampled from a fresh bottle dated 3/3/06. Color is a bright copper with lots of big, slow moving bubbles for carbonation. Head is tall, thick, and off-white. Retention is high for a beer with this much ABV. Not much here in for smell. Traces of citrissy hops, alcohol, and a fruity malt are noted. Taste is of a very sweet, make that an almost sickly sweet malt, with a slight edge of fruitiness. Strong alcohol flavor is in the mix. Some citrissy hop flavor fades into the background. I was actually expecting this to be a very, very hoppy beer. This reminds me more of a supped up euro strong lager, like something from Russia. There's just too much sweetness and alcohol here for my tastes. I'm gonna set my other bottle aside for a long, long time and see what happens. (1,148 characters)

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Holy hell! Is this a beer?

In the glass, it's a deep cloudy orange with no head. Little bubbles float to the surface. The aroma is sort of hoppy, but also fruity and sweet -almost Belgian-like. Oh, and alcohol. Big hits of alcohol waft off the surface of this monster and overpower everything. Taste and mouthfeel converge, as the thick syrupy body and alcoholic zing carry in a huge maltiness and potent hits of hop bitterness and flavor. With other hoppy beers, I can usually detect differences in hop flavors and aromas, but not here. I just know there are hops entering my body aggressively and I can't see past that. All of this is overlaid on a base of sweet malt. Seems like the yeast, if they could have taken this beer up to 30% ABV, would have had plenty of sugars to work with.

Overall, this is a very complicated and very strong beverage. Unlike anything I've ever had (a title that formerly belonged to Dogfish's Fort). If you haven't, try it. You won't regret spending the $9 for a bottle. Will I buy another bottle? Maybe. Not anytime soon; this is not one that I'll add to my standard lineup, but a worthwhile adventure. (1,142 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +0.5%

bottle from a 2003 batch, reviewed in May of 2006.

A: deep golden, turning to medium brown body. little to no head, though its more carbonation than I expected for the age of this bottle. doesnt look likemuch but I didnt buy it to look at it.

S: loads of sugar, and sweet candied fruit, raisons, some more tropical as well. no hops whatsoever. a little booze and a bit of toffee. plenty of carmelization.

T/M: nice viscosity, thick but coating and pretty drinkable considering. lots o' malt and sugar. very sweet. the hops have completely faded from this brew leaving this big thick and sweet body thats out of balance. plenty of juicy tropical fruits, even some candy qualities, a little cloying. hints of rum.

D: what can one say? a 21% DIPA? come one. this beer exists in its own world where mere mortal language and concepts arent sufficient. who knows? just drink one and you know what can never be said.

while my score for this isnt very high I enjoyed this brew and was impressed at how well it held up. the label says you can age it for a decade or so but i suspect you'd have really expensive paint thinner by then and not much else. get this sucker fresh, despite the alcohol content, dont make the mistake of cellaring this thing. (1,257 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery