120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,107 | Hads: 7,370
4.49/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. The beer is a murky bronze color with a dense, white foam head that retains well and leaves decent lace. It's aroma is a bright, juicy orange / tangerine note with floral hints and a resinous woody undertone. As it warms up caramel starts to poke through with cloves and a hint of acetone. It's highly citrus bittersweet that both compliments and counteracts each other (not necessarily balanced), with perhaps a touch more sweet than bitter. The beer is viscous and creamy with a soft fuzzy carbonation. The full body is woody and citrus with a pine grit and alcohol on the tongue. The finish is warm (vodka or strong bourbon) with spicy clove and woody notes and a clean, vodka-alcohol aftertaste that's dry and astringent. (760 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2011 vintage. Pours a dirty tea looking color that settles into the glass as a murky Amber with a thin off-white head. Lots of toasted grain in the nose, with a aged piney hop aroma as well. Flavor is very sweet and toasty with the piney hops still lingering around and balancing out some of the sweetness. Mouthfeel is somewhat thinner than I thought it would be, with a moderate level of carbonation and a lingering alcohol presence. Still drinkable with age, but not sure if this one improved at all. (503 characters)

As you can tell, I enjoyed this one. The bottle was a little over a year old. Almost no hop flavor or aroma. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Flavor was fruity, but not cloying. As Sam describes it, marmalade-y. It makes you want to keep going back for another sip, and since the alcohol is well hidden on aged bottles, watch out. It hit me like a ton of bricks lol. (362 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I had one that wasn't aged and it was excellent! Super excited to see how they change over the years. A tough beer to find here in Houston, looking forward to my next one. (171 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wasn't sure what to expect with the 120 minute. Wow. Such a delicious beer. Coming in at 120 IBUs but yet so smooth and drinkable considering the alcohol content. Almost tastes like a barleywine. Will definitely get again given the opportunity. (244 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Rattle n Hum. As I called for my check, I see the 120 is being added to the menu. Canceled the check, canceled Uber, & settled in for what I hoped would be something special.

Let me start with the truism that I dislike hops in a disproportion. (255 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not sure of the bottle date, but this is extremely balanced. Way more than I was expecting. The sweetness of the malt lingers through the hop bite,so that you get to experience everything this beer has to offer at once. I highly recommend and will definitely buy a four pack if I ever come across any. Great beer. (313 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter at room temperature.
L - Poured a hark honey color into the snifter with negligable carbonation. The colorless lacing is very long lasting.
S - Smells of honey, hops and alcohol. A fine combination.
T - A balanced combination of lots of hops an lots of malt.
F - On the heavy side. Very mouth coating.
O - A very fine imperial IPA. The balance is done quite well. Highly recommended. (414 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look: A nice golden color with a short white head, leaves good lacing

Smell: Pungent resinous hops, along with strong maltiness

Taste: Strong resiny hops, malty sweetness, some alcohol bite, and a sharp bitterness

Feel: Full body, good carbonation

Overall: Well this is one hell of an impressive brew. It's evident it is strong, but not that it is as strong as it is. Full of flavor, this one is a sipper for sure. This bottle is fairly fresh, less than three months old. It looses points for the lack of balance, but I imagine that is hard to get with something like this. I'm debating on whether or not I should pick up another to cellar, as I feel like this is more of a barleywine than an IPA, and everyone seems to love to cellar it. (746 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

Bottled 7-2-13 - served @ 50deg F

A - Light amber with porous white head

S - Sweet honey - hops - alcohol

T/M - Sweetness up front followed by sour/spicy hops and alcohol heat lingering at the finish

O - Glad I took the advice of a fellow advocate and gave this some time in the cellar. It seems pretty mellow and smooth for such high ABV. Not sure how this isn't considered a barley wine... but it's pretty tasty no matter the style. Prost! (449 characters)

All beers should strive to be this delicious. From beginning to end is a non stop pleasure. My only negative is that I can only get one at a time no matter how hard I look. I'm not sure how the bros only gave it a 95. My top beers are all 100 by the bros except this one which I give a solid 100. (296 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -9.7%

Tried this beer randomly, was 11$ for a single 12 oz. bottle. When I opened it it smelled so good, the fruits instantly hit my nose. The taste was okay too, however the feel was horrible. It didn't go down well at all, most likely due to the 18-20% alcohol content. I tried to split it with my girlfriend at the time because I couldn't just commit alcohol abuse, we ended up drinking most of it together and I poured out the last 1/8th of it, which by then I was feeling pretty buzzed. The notes on this beer are very strong, but so is the alcohol. If im not mistaken I tried the 60 minute too and it tasted and felt the same just with less alcohol. Would probably never buy again but it was definitely worth the try. (717 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled 2/17/14. Deep amber and sediment laden with off white pour. Licorice and alcohol fumes with caramel - spicy fruit as it warms. First sip tastes like cotton candy dissolved in rubbing alcohol. Hot alcohol exhale. Spicy apricot with caramel middle. Hoppy candy finish. Intense heavy alcohol laden mouthfeel. Big flavors, rich sherry like linger - very few beers compete at this level. (390 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

About a 3 month old bottle poured into a Dogfish snifter.

Looks beautiful. A deep, ruby orange with an off white head. Looks like a Founder's Old Curmudgeon, except you are not going to see through this one.

Aroma. This is where all of the good things I mentioned above go to die. It smells pretty awful. Almost all alcohol and a musty, sour grape. Actually, it smells a bit like gin now that I think about it.

Taste is better, but not by much. Harsh is the best way I can describe it. Boozy right off the bat with the alcohol coming off the top ropes with an elbow to the tongue. Then some hops that also hang around in the form of a terrible, and bitter aftertaste. There is also that musty, stale flavor. Somewhere in there I noticed some sweetness in the form of candied sugars and caramel malts. I actually bumped it some as it improved a bit as it warmed.

Feel is ok considering the alcohol content.

I realize that this is going to be a "boozy" beer, and my rdev is going to be off the charts here. Even World Wide Stout couldnt mask all of the alcohol. However, I am just not liking the flavors and I don't think they are well integrated. They are all over the place. This just seems like a mess. It reminds me a lot of Double Crooked Tree (which I didn't care for either) for reference, or a Molotove Cocktail on the more positive side. It is definitely along the American Barleywine lines more so than an Imperial IPA. I would be open to trying one with some age on it. It cant really be worse for me. (1,520 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Undated (but presumably quite fresh) bottle split with a friend. (A split is probably a really good idea at this ABV. This is a really potent brew.) However, after 6 oz I was regretting sharing it. It was THAT GOOD.
Appearance is nothing special. Medium gold; tenacious white head; carbonation is spot on.
Taste: oh, my. Malty, sweet caramel, some hops bitterness but VERY subdued.
Smooth and extremely easy to drink. Syrupy, almost. The alcohol is there but it's so nicely integrated that you just go with it. Had a 21st Amendment Hop Crisis (one of my all-time favorite DIPAs) immediately following and it tasted thin and flavorless.
Keep telling yourself "sip it, sip it" - but it's SO good. Again, it's probably best that I split a bottle.
At ten bucks a pop and 18%, this would not be a regular indulgence. However, if you get a chance to try it (and don't have to drive), it's highly recommended.
I have a second bottle that's going in the cellar for a year or two. There aren't many rough edges on this brew, and it's an IPA (and therefore best if it's fresh?), but the bottle does say that it ages well so I gotta see. (1,143 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Alcohol fiendishly well hidden (in a good way). Molotav Cocktail without the extreme pine flavor and bitterness. A dangerously drinkable beer for the high abv. Bottle aged in my cellar 1.5 years. (195 characters)

People expecting an IPA are sorely disappointed with this beer. "120 Minute Barleywine" would be more descriptive. At over 19% ABV, this "beer" packs a punch. Although this was my first time trying it and because I knew what to expect, I was actually pleasantly surprised by it. It's boozy, it's sweet and it aromatic. A solid sipper for sure. (343 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2013 vintage, aged at 68 degrees in zero light. Bottle 3 of 2013 batch enjoyed 3/22/15. After two years this batch is finally starting to mellow out. The first bottle was tasted in 2013 and comparable to nitromethane race fuel. The second bottle, aged one year, was tolerable but still very Boozy. Today I enjoyed the third bottle of 2013 dfh 120 and found it much more pleasant, in fact, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very hoppy, foamy white head, still slightly boozy in taste, but at this point no more so than your average imperial ipa. 100% improved from one year ago. Will update next year with bottle number 4 of 2013, and later this year for bottle 2 of 2014. (662 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5oz draft pour into a snifter. I was surprised by the initial foamy white head, but it quickly diminished, as did the lacing as I went. Very drinkable for 18%, but a bit of a mediciny booziness. Worth a try, but at $1 an ounce, not the best bang for the buck in the double/triple ipa category. (295 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Tried this on tap at Whole Foods. Wow, very well balanced, amazing aroma. Very strong brew, one glass will do. Eveything about this is amazing. Not always available, must get it when it is. (189 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

High- quality beer but too high octane. Once over 12%... it looses its definition as beer for me. This IPA feels more like a barely wine than an IPA... I think DFH should have quit at the 90- minute... which I would rate much higher. Not worth the premium price for all the other options for solid imperials out there. One-time-buy for me. (339 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This review is for a beer that was aged 4 years. It was excellent for a sipper. I shared with friends and the non-beer drinkers also enjoyed. While still a little boozy, it still smelled and tasted fantastic. (210 characters)

5's all around on this one. Incredibly high ABV without tasting like booze. Crisp clean and refreshing. Be careful with this one because it is very drinkable with 18% alchohol (175 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I personally think this beer is best at under a year old. I understand how well it can age with ~18% alcohol, but with it being an IPA, and me being a bit of a hophead from time to time, I think the Hops cut the alcohol beautifully right out of the gates. I have had one fresh and one just over three years old, and I personally like it better fresh. (350 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Its was more or less Hop Liquor at this fucking point. I drank 9 ounces on an empty stomach and o boy...Great beer. Great experience. A bit of a let down? I expected 5 out of 5. (177 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery