120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,155 | Hads: 7,598
3.96/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not sold on this one, but still an interesting beer. World Wide Stout was much better from their extreme beer series. This was super rich, sweet, fruity, oily, complex, and slightly boozy. Some people speak of hops but mine is over a year old so most have faded. More of a brandy than an IPA. Overall it was worth it to try a beer of this caliber, but I don't think I will try this one soon. I have about 2 more so I will experiment with more age.

4.19/5  rDev +5.8%

Bought it from a local wine store bottled.....there's no lying on the amount of consistent hoppy taste on a single 12oz bottle. Overall, quite pleasant

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm a budding hop-head, and when I had the chance to try the famous 120-minute at dinner, I jumped at it. From the drinking experience, I hesitate to call it an IPA (I know it is, it just doesn't taste like it). It's almost more like a barleywine to me.

Look: Gorgeous deep amber color with a little bit of head
Smell: Delicious. Best part of the beer was just enjoying its aroma. Sweet, a little fruity
Taste: Like I said, it's almost a barleywine kind of taste to me. It's sweet, there's no real taste of "hoppiness," it's strong but not alcohol-y.
Feel: Medium-bodied.

Overall, this is a great beer, nothing like what I expected. Kicked my butt, too... I went from a tasting flight at Night Shift to this, and my wife had to drive us home.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to BoldRulerVT for bringing over a 4-year old bottle of DFH 120 last night. This was surprisingly good beer and not at all what I expected. Poured into tulips and enjoyed at dusk out on the deck.

It's a hazy washed-out apricot color with a thin white head that sticks around for a while and leaves a bit of lace.

The aroma is strong with an assortment of dried fruit - apricot, prune, raisin, lots of sweetness here with absolutely no hop aroma.

Taste is nicely balanced between the sweet dried fruit and enough soft bitterness to support it. No trace of the high ABV.

Mouth is medium bodied, which is surprising given the high ABV. I really expected a fuller mouth, but was really pleased that it wasn't.

Overall, this is an unusual beer that ages wonderfully and is surprisingly tasty. I have a year-old bottle stashed and I think I'll give it a few more years, as this four-year old seemed just right.

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a snifter.
Pours a medium orange/amber with minimal head.
Aromas are very big, lots of malt, lots of sweetness, plum/raisin.
Taste is in line with aromas, not much alcohol burn considering the ridiculous ABV here. Very tasty, but very little hop presence.
Mouthfeel is really nice, lots to chew on.
Overall, a tasty and interesting beer. Hard to consider it an IPA as I barely pick up hops, but still very good and enjoyable.

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Malty front, slight hop aroma, sweet but clean finish. Doesn't taste like 18%, which is a complement. Overall an enjoyable beer, but I could only have one.

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

To be fair, I tasted this one after it had been aged for years, and can't say what it's like fresh. But this one, while awesome and powerful, may be too powerful for any one man to handle, like a genie, or a nuke. Tons of flavor, but perhaps too rich. I forget the abv of that particular one, but it was probably up to at least 20% by the time I had it. So heavy, it almost clogs your throat. The hops are choked, suffocated, and smothered with a pillow by the malts who seem to have grown in power of the years. I love this beer the way I love those ridiculous Fast and Furious movies - I feel like a testosterone junkie just being in the same room with it. I'd have it again when I feel like doing some serious damage to my body - yes, this is about as masochistic a beer as I can remember having.

4.04/5  rDev +2%

May 30, 2015

12 oz bottle, IPA glass

2013 Vintage

A – Medium amber, orangeish-red. Mostly clear. A half inch of off-white yellowish bubbly foam with moderate-low retention.

S – Very malt-forward, with bread crust, graham cracker, and a touch of caramel. Tropical fruit, mango and guava, with some rich resiny hop aromas as well. Some alcohol esters, mostly warm and boozy.

T – Very sweet, a lot of honey, maple syrup, and brown sugar notes. Hops are tropical, guava and mango, with some papaya in the mix as well. A bit of resin, along with some rosy alcohol notes.

M – Thick, kind of syrupy, very malty. A lot of residual sweetness. Carbonation is fairly low. Bitterness is not very high, even though it’s very noticeable as it tries to balance out the sugars. Boozy warmth throughout.

O – A very different experience after two years of aging. The alcohol as mellowed to just a warm boozy sensation, and the edge is off the hops, leaving mostly sweetness and hop aroma. A very unique entry.

3.16/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Hazy gold-orange, yellow-white head fades but leaves rings of lace.

S: Floral but verging on abrasive chemical. Soil and citrus, but those are quickly smothered by the rest of it.

T: Woody, floral. Pine shows mid-late palate. Chemical like nail polisher still coming through (mega yuck.- what is this??) Cinnamon and baking spices on the finish (I swear), plus more alcohol warmth.

M: It's got some bite! Sky high IBU and sky high alcohol, as it turns out, is intense. Abrasive, but not astringent.

O: Barely fun even as a novelty. It seems like they got a little lazy, trying to make it as extreme as possible and any positive characteristic was a lucky side effect. Insane bitterness and ridiculous hop character is intriguing, but not when the smell and flavor make me worry if I'm going to go blind. I'm glad I didn't, and glad I got to try it, but now our relationship is over. Sorry 120, it's you.

2.56/5  rDev -35.4%

let down by the lack of balance as I really enjoy the 90. heavy, sticky malt sweetness with very little hop presence. extremely boozy which overpowers any flavors in its path. It tasted like a malt with a shot of grain alcohol added.

3.54/5  rDev -10.6%

A - Orange. Created half a finger of head upon pour, that receded into nothing in a matter of seconds.
S - Orange, grapefruit, apricots, plums and other stone fruits make their presence felt.
T - Oh boy, this is where it is becoming undone...supremely phenolic. No attempt has been made to hide the alcohol, and that is a major distraction. I really had to nurse this one through, with a glass of water, just like I would have done with a shot of bourbon.
M - Alcohol all over the place, just feeling the burn and not much else.
O - 3.5/5 and I'm being very generous. Glad to have tried it, and glad to have purchased just the one bottle. I doubt if there will be a repeat.

4.29/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Coppery, blood orange. Fresh squeezed and hazy. Light tan head. Even bands of lacing.

S: Mildly ethanolic. Mostly spice, wood, blue spruce, stone fruit, vanilla, citrus.

M: Warming, but easy drinking. Med-full feel, very smooth for ABV, low-mod carbonation.

T: Sweet caramel malts, pine grain, vanilla bean, grapefruit, orange, raisins, date. Scotch infused orange marmalade.

3.42/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Draft pour. This is just too big of a beer. It's all booze up front and then overpowering sugary sweetness at finish. Heavy mouthfeel. Surprisingly little balance from a great brewer and highly rated beer.

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Quick review. Bottled 2/23/13. Pours Amber with a 2 finger head. Smells of citrus, sweet fruits, pine. Taste goes straight to the middle with citrus and has a lingering pine on the back. Mouthful is dry and full. Overall this is a great ipa.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Just found some at the local supermarket in single bottles. $8.50 each. Bought 10 like a dope fiend because I love the stuff! Not quite a flavorful as 90 minute but with close to twice the abv and still tastes good, how can you go wrong? Caution: goes down smooth but don't drink more than one bottle per sitting or you may get a little sloppy.

3.72/5  rDev -6.1%

S: Moderate toasted malt amd mild caramel malt aroma. Medium to moderate dark pine, overripe grapefruit and citrus hops. a big boozy ethenol aroma.

A: Copper color with heavy hop haze. Little to no head retention. Fine off-white bubbles with long lasting alcohol legs.

T: Strong bitterness with medium to moderate toasty malt character. Light raisin and date malts. Strong marmalade, evergreen and orange hop flavor in the middle and the finish has grapefruit and light citrus. The balance is on the hops. Fermentation has produced a ton of ethenol and some fruity esters (pears). High octane flavors throughout.

M: Big body with high alcohol warming in the chest. Creamy mouthfeel with a prickly sensation on the tongue. Also a sticky hop resin covers the palate after a few sips. Carbonation is moderate.

O: Strong in every area. This was a beer that I discovered when I first started getting into IPAs about 6-7 years ago but never had the opportunaty to try it after DFH pulled out of WI. After the long wait Im glad I got to try it but probably won't buy another. The boozyness turns me off and the huge malt character puts it into the arena of a barley wine (not necessarilly a bad thing).

4.01/5  rDev +1.3%

Saw a few 12 oz bottles on the shelf at my local liquor store and felt compelled to buy one. The bottled on date states it was made a little over 3 months ago. Poured at about 60 degrees from the bottle into my pint glass.

L: A little underwhelming, in terms of appearance. It pours a deep, cloudy apricot with about a quarter inch of off-white head that dissipates quickly and leaves some cling on the glass. Moderate visible carbonation (though it's pretty hard to tell because of the cloudiness).

S: Pine resin, herbal earthiness, and citrus fruit in the nose, along with a healthy caramel malt underside. There's also some clear alcohol in the mix, along with a slight hint of what's registering to me as bread pudding.

T: Caramel malt sweetness and some vanilla tones right out of the gates, with a striking hit of boozy alcohol--the sensation is a bit like taking a pull of whiskey. Some resinous hop notes, along with some less pronounced herbal hop notes. The middle provides more of that sweet alcohol, with apricot and a suggestion of black licorice. The back is warming alcohol, a bit of pine hop bitter, and the persistence of some caramel malt. For a beer that is billed as a huge hop bomb, it's a whole lot sweeter than I expected. I was looking for bright hop notes, but they're all relatively subdued and/or overpowered by the booze.

F: This one has a nice feel for how high the ABV is. It's creamy, just a bit syrupy, and bitter without shooting your taste buds completely. It drinks a bit lighter than I expected it would.

O: This really is a taste experience that I haven't encountered in too many DIPAs. It's incredible how boozy it is without totally loosing its character. That being said, this beer did not deliver the kind of hop aroma and taste that I was expecting. It's possible that I got a bad bottle, but it just seems to me that all the big flavors that should come from all that hopping have been muted, stewed away, or just overshadowed too much by the alcohol. At $10 a 12 oz bottle, I probably won't be ponying up for another one of these in the near future, but I'm glad I had the chance to try it.

4.49/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. The beer is a murky bronze color with a dense, white foam head that retains well and leaves decent lace. It's aroma is a bright, juicy orange / tangerine note with floral hints and a resinous woody undertone. As it warms up caramel starts to poke through with cloves and a hint of acetone. It's highly citrus bittersweet that both compliments and counteracts each other (not necessarily balanced), with perhaps a touch more sweet than bitter. The beer is viscous and creamy with a soft fuzzy carbonation. The full body is woody and citrus with a pine grit and alcohol on the tongue. The finish is warm (vodka or strong bourbon) with spicy clove and woody notes and a clean, vodka-alcohol aftertaste that's dry and astringent.

3.72/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2011 vintage. Pours a dirty tea looking color that settles into the glass as a murky Amber with a thin off-white head. Lots of toasted grain in the nose, with a aged piney hop aroma as well. Flavor is very sweet and toasty with the piney hops still lingering around and balancing out some of the sweetness. Mouthfeel is somewhat thinner than I thought it would be, with a moderate level of carbonation and a lingering alcohol presence. Still drinkable with age, but not sure if this one improved at all.

As you can tell, I enjoyed this one. The bottle was a little over a year old. Almost no hop flavor or aroma. Silky smooth mouthfeel. Flavor was fruity, but not cloying. As Sam describes it, marmalade-y. It makes you want to keep going back for another sip, and since the alcohol is well hidden on aged bottles, watch out. It hit me like a ton of bricks lol.

4.9/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I had one that wasn't aged and it was excellent! Super excited to see how they change over the years. A tough beer to find here in Houston, looking forward to my next one.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Wasn't sure what to expect with the 120 minute. Wow. Such a delicious beer. Coming in at 120 IBUs but yet so smooth and drinkable considering the alcohol content. Almost tastes like a barleywine. Will definitely get again given the opportunity.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Rattle n Hum. As I called for my check, I see the 120 is being added to the menu. Canceled the check, canceled Uber, & settled in for what I hoped would be something special.

Let me start with the truism that I dislike hops in a disproportion.

4.72/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Not sure of the bottle date, but this is extremely balanced. Way more than I was expecting. The sweetness of the malt lingers through the hop bite,so that you get to experience everything this beer has to offer at once. I highly recommend and will definitely buy a four pack if I ever come across any. Great beer.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 1/14/15. Strong alcohol bite but very flavorful. Can't wait to see how this ages. I could see this standing up fantastically over several years.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery