120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,341 | Reviews: 2,195
1.15/5  rDev -72.1%

12 oz bottle pours a hazy orange copper with a small off white head that leaves some lacing in my glass, funny pine aroma like a mix of Pine-Sol cleaner and Off insect repellent. Super sweet orange, maple syrup and alcohol flavors. Full bodied with a thick sticky syrupy mouthfeel, finishes with a lingering sweetness. A 12 oz bottle is too much for me, after only a few sips I am done...way too sweet, hard to dump such an expensive beer but I have no choice.

1.18/5  rDev -71.4%

A: Pours copper color with very little head and just a bit of bubbles up top and some lacing.

S: Interestingly enough, it doesn't smell like hops at all. I'm picking up roast, coffee, toffee, caramel, candied fruit, curious spice notes like liquorice and anise, and a heavy sort of rum raisin cake smell.

T: Candied fruit, dark rum, raisins, caramel apple, maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar, cloying sweetness. This is complex in smell and taste, but in a way that's offensive to my palate. I just can't grow to like this. Maybe with age?

O: I was hoping for the holy grail for hopheads, but instead I get a barleywine that's been fortified with syrup and booze for 120 minutes. I'm sorry, but this is probably one of the worst beers I've had to drink, and I love other DFH stuff like 90 minute, WWS, Chateau Jiahu and others...but this just blows. Now I'm stuck with 5 bottles of this stuff. Anyone wanna trade?

1.22/5  rDev -70.4%

horrible, horrible beer. smells like really good nail polish remover. imo it's not hoppy. it's extremely floral. lots of cascade used i guess. anyway i'm pissed off by the fact i just paid 6 bucks for this disaster of a beer, and ended up pouring most of it down the sink. i am going to stick with the 60 and 90 which are complete opposites of this beer.

1.23/5  rDev -70.1%

I'm under the impression at this point that my review is unfair as I believe I got an outdated bottle. There is an overwhelming taste of vinegar in this beer inducing gag reflex in every sip. I simply can't finish this beer. Again, I may have gotten a bad bottle.

1.29/5  rDev -68.7%

Got two of these in trade with randomdanger. Will, why didn't you warn me what I was doing? Shared with gwuilliums on his birthday 2010.

2009 vintage, poured into tulips.

A: Amber color with a thin head that hung around. Clear and slightly syrupy as you move the glass.

S: You have got to be KIDDING ME!! This beer is so sickly sweet smelling that I nearly could not bring myself to drink it.
Wow! It's supposed to be an IPA, right? Smells like caramelized barleywine!

T: I have had many, many cough syrups that were less fusel and not nearly as sickeningly sweet as this [beer].

M: Super syrupy. Cloying does not begin to describe this!!

D: After a second drink to see if we could swallow it a second time, (we couldn't) spit and pour into the trees. I hope it doesn't kill my tree...

1.34/5  rDev -67.5%

A: Decent color. More amber than pale, but considering the style that's typical. Not much head, little retention.

S: Straight up rubbing alcohol mixed with some sickly barley sweetness. Honestly no hop aroma to be found.

T: This is a mess. It is overly sweet, has NO hop flavor (if you think this has hop flavor please tell me what hops you're getting: Centennial? No. Cascade? No. This tastes like robitusson mated with KY Jelly. I would honestly rather drink goat's piss than have this again. It is NOT polished, NOT balanced, and is just NOT well done. Just because a beer is big and has bold flavors doesn't make it good; Star Jones is big and bold, that doesn't mean I like her...

M/D: Feel is slimy and overly thick, and this is as drinkable as fish eyes mixed with camel spew.

1.35/5  rDev -67.2%

This 2013 iteration was consumed at the Tap House over 20 minutes.

For all the hops, there's very little scent of them. I get some toffee, caramel, rum raisin and a hint of fennel. It's funky in a way that ain't funky...And the strangeness progresses to bad...

It tastes of spoiled maple syrup, molasses, and a sweet hay. It might have some complexity to comment on, but I can't stick with it long enough to find what's interesting. The hops have gone well past bitter and dominate in an untoward manner...with sticky essential oils. This is such an off-putting unilateral experience, I struggle to consume it.

The mouthfeel is heavy and medicinal, making the poor flavor harder to tolerate, because it doesn't go away as rapidly as I'd hope. For all the alcohol, it's not very hot and desperately needs more carbonation and spice to cut it.

I expected a wildly spicy hopbomb, but this is a syrupy fortified, chewy wine--a dessert wine that I don't deserve! What happened to the 120 this year? It's truly awful.

1.39/5  rDev -66.3%

This poured a very cloudy orange color. Almost half the glass was full of foam. Careful pouring this.

Although there was a quick frenzy of smells when I first poured this beer, it subdued into almost nothing quite quickly. As I waited for the foam to settle, the smell settled down to a dull fruity musk.

The flavor will make you stop what you're doing. Even if all you're doing is drinking beer. I'm immediately reminded of "Four O", a malt liquor by La Crosse brewing that is ranked at 10% ABV. It's high dextrose content gave off a solvent and fuel like flavor. While that beer tried its best to mask that flavor, this beer fails at it. I'm still not finished drinking this beer, and I've gone off and read about 20 reviews, 3 beer style reviews, and read all my email since I started the bottle and this review. I've been making bitter beer face the whole time.

This beer is too thick, too sugary, too sweet, too strong. And here I thought I was going to be hopped to death? The hop flavor takes a back seat to the syrup flavor.

This won't stop me from buying another bottle and hiding it in the basement for a decade. After all, it does say on the side of the bottle:

"What you have here is the holy grail for hopheads. This beer is continually hopped over a 120-minute boil and then dry-hopped every day for a month. Enjoy now or age for a decade or so."

1.42/5  rDev -65.5%

Looked good enough. Poured nice and rich with hearty color and top. I should have stopped there. I know this is supposed to be constructive but this is not for me.

The smell is of medicine. Cough syrup, malts, hops a little line pine-cleaner.

The taste is worse than the smell. Is this really a DIPA? A TIPA? Tasted like an overly sweetened malty boozy barley wine with some hops thrown in (or pine-scented cleaner). It was not refreshing and I couldn't even nurse it. It's just not a good flavor. Perhaps they need more testing of what's leaving the brewery? Or maybe it's just a high alcohol gimmick? I'm a hophead, IPA lover.

This is a beer you drink on a dare. It's not drinkable. Maybe put a shot of it in some seltzer water.

1.44/5  rDev -65%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Part of a vertical from 2003 to 2009, minus the 04. Thanks to Mark (mfielden) for bringing half the bottles. Thanks to tprokop7, Uwftke26, and drabmuh for supplying my half in trades. Thanks!

I'm reviewing the '09 here.

A: Pours a clear amber body, with a surprising cap on the brew. It retains longer than expected for a beer of this ABV.

S: We started with the 09 and worked backward. The aroma of this one alone nearly killed my desire to go forward. Solventy paint thinner, perfumey, citrus hops... It's like grapefruit soaked in bottom shelf vodka. I'm not sure I understand how anyone would sniff this and think, "We can bottle it and sell it!" Why? Why would you do that?

T: Again, a perfumey, citrusy, extremely fusel-y experience. This really isn't my beer at all when fresh. It's sweet, boozy, harsh.

M: Chewy, full-bodied, bracingly boozy. Harsh is actually an understatement.

D: This was worth it for the novelty alone, but even my small pour was a chore off this fresh bottle. This challenges drinkability. I would not have this beer again. Vile stuff.

1.46/5  rDev -64.6%

Anybody who's had a colonoscopy knows how hard it is to drink the prep. You hold your nose and do anything possible to distract yourself from the thick sickenly sweet, perfumely, pungent, syrup that's about to enter your body. I find myself doing the same with this brew. The sweetness is too much to take. The smell is not pleasant, and the mouth feel, combined with the above conspires to make the whole experience unpleasant. I tried really hard to finish the bottle, but alas, it's down the drain.

1.49/5  rDev -63.8%

I had this on tap at noc noc in San Francisco. I really wanted to try a triple IPA even though, honestly I was not fond of the 90min Dogfish - truth be told, not too fond of Dogfish brewery as a whole. Watched them on Brew Masters and kind of found their brewer to be a douche.

Anyway the beer was served in a wine glass

no head whatsover, not even a lil lip bumper.

tasted so overwhelmingly like alcohol - it had none of that IPA hop bouquet that I look for.

Took awhile to drink - after the first few sips the burn was so much that I felt like I needed a nice refreshing IPA to use a a chaser for this beer.

Really it tasted more like an amalgamation between brandy and whiskey that's sparkling. What IPA taste was there was more Belgium style.

Anyway, won't waste my money again.

Cheers

1.5/5  rDev -63.6%

Shared by a roommate that wanted to give this one a try. 12oz bottle (not sure of the vintage). 4oz. pour into a snifter.

A: Healthy pour yields a 1 finger semi-fine white head with decent retention. Beer is a clear, pinkish-peach. Lacing is ringed and patchy with decent stick.

S: Vinegar and booze with the former being (unbelievably) more prominent than the later. Oh yeah, there's a bit of near undetectable citrus hops in the back.

T: Holy shit. A booze bomb all the way. This is more of a barleywine than an IPA. Alchohol is pervasive and vinegary characteristic makes me wanna puke. Hops are barely detectable, just like any other flavors that might've been present. Super sweet also with no hop bitterness. Finish is more of the same with an oily, boozy, sugary aftertaste that just won't go away.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation and oily in the mouth. No liveliness like I expect from an IPA, however it is a bit coarse around the edges. Finish is messy and aftertaste lingers.

D: I don't know how this is categorized as an IPA and not straight vinegar. Sour from the nose to the mouth but the sad thing is, I can barely get the sourness in the taste because its covered by the immense alcohol. Don't waste your money. I'm glad this was shared because if I had it myself, I would've sipped about an ounce and drain-poured the rest. DFH makes a line of great IPAs with their 60, 75, and 90 minute beers. However, for me, this is definitely the odd man out. Its horrible.

1.5/5  rDev -63.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a cognac snifter. It looks hazy orange and its completely opaque.

It smells like nail polish remover that has been seasoned with off hops. It is just terrible. It smells like the orange Old English Wood Soap that I use to mop my floors. This could make paint fall off a shed.

The taste is like some terrible new hop-flavored black rum. I am used to my hop bombs being hop forward, and malts secondary. This is the opposite where the sweetness is front and center and the hops are fighting with it. There is nothing good about the taste of this beer. It tastes like if Admiral Nelson made a port or the type of liquor you use in baking.

The mouthfeel adds to the already less than ideal characteristics, making this beer one of my all time least favorites. I would sooner drink Natural Ice than drink this.

This beer is ambitious and that is all it is. I like Dogfish Head as a brewery, and I am really glad they are in Bloomington and Indiana on the whole, but this beer frankly is just awful with no redeeming characteristics. I ended up drain pouring it. I have had enough beers like Founders Devil Dancer that I can appreciate an ambitious attempt at making a one-of-a-kind beer, however, this beer is just too much. There is fine line between a pleasant beer, which rather than attacking the palate attempts to work with it, and a beer that fights your palate every step of the way. I wouldn't recommend this beer to my worst enemy.

1.55/5  rDev -62.4%

12 oz bottle in pint glass

light amber color that is very hazy. one finger of head that maintains pretty well. the taste is ridiculously boozy, sweet and nauseating. the thick sweetness coats your mouth and before you can work your way around that the booze kicks in. mouthpuckering and makes you cringe. in no way drinkable. could not even come close to finishing this one.

1.59/5  rDev -61.4%

This beer had been lavishly praised by a friend but it can't be had where I live, so when I saw it on a trip, I bought a 4 pack. I was very disappointed (The price is absurd-- ahh, the wonders of marketing). I found it had no balance and the hops were so overpowering the only other flavor besides unadorned sweetness I could really distinguish was a strong raw alcohol. Rather than a malty flavor, it tasted more "woody" and sugary as if pine bark and molasses were part of the wort.

I was impatient and drank the first one after only a short stay in the fridge. The best description I could come up with would be ultra-sweetened hop tea mixed with grain alcohol added to a run of the mill IPA..

Maybe I got a bad batch but I did not think it was good at all. It was essentially undrinkable lukewarm and I had to chill it to the point my palate was numbed for it not to be unpleasant.

If we want to give points for extremism. that's one thing, but if tasting good and being pleasurable to drink are criteria this one fails.

1.6/5  rDev -61.2%

On tap at TJ's on 12/5/09 for their 6th Anniversary celebration.

A - Beautiful clear orange-colored body with ruby highlights and amber hues and half a finger of bubbly off-white head that reduced to a patchy veil and deposited minimal lace around the snifter.

S - Hmmmm... smells like solvent or kerosene or some kind of glue or nail polish remover. Think Silly String. You know that brightly colored, foamy stuff that you shoot out of an aerosol can? Unfortunately, yes. Now you get some idea of how nasty this smells. Some citrus peel/hop oil character attempts to claw its way through the overpowering gas-like fume to no avail.

T - Flavor is really hot, perhaps the hottest beer I've ever had in my mouth. This is ultimately extremely sweet and syrupy, and doesn't really scream hops at all. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even whisper hops. I hope for the sake of this beer's reputation that this was a bad batch, because I've heard that this beer is amazing on tap. Let me tell you, amazing this is not. Imagine (as bad as it sounds) drinking a glass of gasoline with a giant heap of sugar mixed in.

M - Mouthfeel is sweet and cloying beyond belief. Texture is syrupy and very sticky. There is virtually no hop bitterness on the palate at all.

D - Honestly, I would have drain poured this if I didn't pay over $6 for a snifter. Very, VERY disappointed with this offering on tap. 90min. is so much better and hoppier than this abomination, and the only reason I can think of that DFH would brew such an undrinkable beer is purely for the novelty of it.

Brewslut's Quote of the Day:
"Smells like vinegar and Easter Egg dye."

1.66/5  rDev -59.7%

Bottle dated April 2008--9 months old at the time of review. Pours a thick orange/copper with a small eggshell head. The foam dissipates quickly to leave some wispy traces and a collar. Small amounts of sediment. Smells...big. Definite floral hops, but there's so much sweet, biscuity malt that it's hard to decide which is dominant. Apricot jelly/syrup mixed with a bit of apple cider vinegar. Incredibly boozy--I've never actually had a beer that burned my nose upon sniffing. Very loosely reminiscent of a brandy. It's all sweet malt and alcohol upon tasting. Some hop flavor and bitterness, but it's really quite masked. Warming (burning) finish. A syrupy, boozy mess.

1.72/5  rDev -58.3%

vintage 2011

A: Copper in color, barely any head.

S: Piney hop resin buried in a mountain of sickly sweet malt and booze.

T/M: Thick and oily traces of hops, greatly overshadowed by copious amounts of caramel malt and alcohol. Mouthfeel is reminiscent of cough syrup, and the flavor profile is close enough to back it up. Serves as a decent sipper for a minute or two, but soon causes me to cringe. This is not IPA concentrate.

O: A mess, should not exist.

1.76/5  rDev -57.3%

This is my first review.

Let me start out by saying that i prefer strong ales and IPA's

I had this brew at RFD in washington DC.

While eating dinner with a friend i noticed this beer and was attracted by the high ABV which exceeded anything i have previously had. at $20 for 12oz bottle i had fairly high hopes.

A pouring into the glass it had a nice autumn color maybe a little darker than a normal IPA but still attractive

S this is where things started to go down hill it wasn't horrible but behind the hops smell there was this sickly sweet smell.

T Now maybe i got a bad bottle but this was disgusting. Between college and the army i have had some horrendous alcoholic beverages but this was on par with rot gut tequila. The only two discernable tastes were that of a sickly sweet syrup that leads into a taste that i can only define as industrial alcohol or everclear.

M The mouth feel was fairly thin and unimpressive.

D this is the least drinkable beer ive ever had

i wasnt even able to finish the bottle. i eventually poured what was left into a half filled glass of a dark amber ale the resulting drink actually tasted rather delicious.

I believe there was probably something wrong with my bottle leading me to believe that maybe the brewing process used for this beer is a little hit or miss and i got one of the misses. i plan on trying this beer again at another venue and finding out.

1.78/5  rDev -56.8%

wow! this beer is extremely disappointing. dogfish head's 60 and 90 minute ipa's are excellent. the 90 is one of my 3 favorites along with lagunitas hop stoopid and stone's ruination.

this beer is not an IPA. it's a barleywine.

actually it tastes like a bad port wine i had once in college.

it looks amazing

the feel and body are great, very velvety

the nose is great too!, if you're an 8 year old girl at a carnival
this thing smells like cotton candy.

the taste? very fruity, too malty, too syrupy

it might be good on hot waffles!?!
at least the butter could balance the sweetness.

the hops were wasted on this "beer"

they would have tasted better on spaghetti.

1.81/5  rDev -56.1%

Let me just say that DFH 90 is my favorite IPA hands down. So I was excited when 120 was on the shelf and i bought 4 bottles. DFH pushes the envelope, but this was pushed to far.

A- golden brown with big thick off white head

S- Flowery hops hit like a slap in the face

T- bitter hops like i am chewing on the flower and alcohol hit like i am washing it down with gasoline

M- balanced

D- a bitter disappointment pun intended.

1.83/5  rDev -55.6%

This beer is so over the top that I couldn't even finish an 8 0z glass. It looked great with a murky orange and big meringue like head. Down hill from there. Smelled overly sweet like maple syrup. Taste was even more ridiculous with its sweetness that was so unbalanced. Mouthfeel was thick and chewy. Drinkability is as low as it gets IMO. Put it all together with price and it's a joke...a very expensive joke.

1.83/5  rDev -55.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2011 vintage poured into a wine tasting glass

A: Pours copper, hard to see through (thick, not hazy), barely any head, decent lacing.

S: Putting my nose to the glass nearly knocked me on my ass. Pungent hops but more importantly sickly sweet candied fruits. It was like getting liquid hard candy shot up my nose.

T: Awful. Just awful. Sickly sweet is an understatement. It's unfortunate because there are some nice tropical fruit and citrus flavors there, but it's covered in tons (literally) of corn sugar. I couldn't choke down more than 3 sips. The hop profile wasn't overly bitter/pine, just a lot of really sweet citrus and tropical fruits. It's really hard to describe anything else. Sure, there was a big malt base, but it was completely lost behind all the sugar.

M: Low carbonation, imagine the thickest possible DIPA... it's thicker. Pancake syrup thick. For a stout with decent carbonation, great. For a sickly sweet DIPA, disgusting. Easily one of the worst textured beers I've had.

O: This was a drain pour for me, I couldn't get past 3 sips. Sickly sweet doesn't even come close, it's disgusting. I don't even know how someone calls this a DIPA. Think of the thickest, sweetest, hottest American Barleywine imaginable, it doesn't have anything on 120min IPA. I can't say this word enough: Disgusting. The only reason this doesn't get a complete fail is because it wasn't a stomach churning, make me puke nasty, just way way way too sweet.

1.84/5  rDev -55.3%

I know it isn't considered productive to just bash a beer, but this is not only bad, but also one of the worst beers I have ever had. It's an overly malty, syrupy, boozy mess of a beer. That said, I will stash one in the basement for some time to see how it mellows out. The 90 and 60 are both better (and cheaper).

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery