120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Deus1138

Georgia

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

I have been dying to try this stuff for a while. Since we can't get it here in GA, I had my cousin from Delaware pick me up some.

Pour into a pint glass. Hazy, cloudy, gold color with very little head. Not a lot of carbonation, but it's cool watching the the bubbles slowly make their way through this thick, hazy brew. This is one of the strongest smelling brews I've sampled. It's very sweet and citrusy smelling. It's almost like a citrus candle. Taste is pretty good. Very hoppy, citrusy. Grapefruit comes to mind. There's also a lot of sweetness is the background. Alcohol is present, but not as much as you'd expect. I mean, it's 20% alcohol, so I was expecting it to be very noticeable. You definitely feel the alcohol as it warms your mouth, throat, and stomach. Mouthfeel is thick and heavy. It's a slightly syrupy brew. Whoa... excuse me. Burps are very citrusy. :-) Drinkability is good. It's something you should try at some point. Can you handle all the flavor and alcohol?? I don't think I could have done this a couple of years ago when I first ventured into craft beer. No one should drink more than one of these per night! It's drinkable, not chuggable!

Very glad I tried this. If this were available in my area, I'd buy for special occasions as a novelty for people to try.

05-09-2009 04:55:15 | More by Deus1138
Foxman

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

It pours a rubyorangebrown, coppery and cloudy. A thick finger of frothy off-white head piles on, then ebbs slowly to a pillow of foam. Lacing is plentiful and puffy.

The aroma is very thick with candy-coated and malt sweetness, sugary and with plum, caramel, a very vague spiciness. The alcohol is decidedly manly, with tendrils that ooze and plunder.

Upon tasting, the honey and sugar sweetness invades again, but this time more mitigated by sloe fruit, caramel, and a vinous port splash. The hops are more notable here as well, with a strained but present citrus note. The alcohol is more incorporated, sending a whiskey-like message through the center. A credible bitterness struggles near the close, losing out to the residual and long-lingering grain and honey sweetness. While absolutely massive, it presents itself with considerable manners, and a plesant, though sweet, profile.

Very full bodied, it's more than syrup, it's treacle and honey, laying cloyingly on the palate, though with the merest hop bitter glow in tow.

Like it or not, this is one beer that is guaranteed to induce a "wow!"
What's amazing to me is how understated the hops present, knowing the prodigious amounts used. And yet, with the scale weighted to the grain and sugary fermentables, it still does come through as quite bitter and hoppy, though in the background, not upfront. The ABV is glaring in the nose, but decidedly more down-tempo in the taste, or as understated as 21% can possibly be. This is one for the occasional occasion, but when the occasion hits, it's worth each viscous drop.

08-24-2006 18:39:58 | More by Foxman
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured a hazy medium ale color 60L?. Some head, but nothing exceptional. I would imagine if you were hopping it every day for a month, you would be losing carbonation in the process and would need to add more CO2 at the end.

Smelled very fruity, candylike aroma / bubbilcious / Cotton Candy

Tasted extremely sweet, almost like a fruit punch flavored wine. So sweet that you need to sip it and I immediately wanted to pour it into a wine glass and have a friend try it while they were over. Naturally, it wasnt their type of beer : )
After being hopped for a full month, the hops have to decompose partially, which lends to a little bit of a sour funky taste in addition to the sweet hops.

Drinkability: I would probably want to drink this on special occasions, but fear what it would do to my head if I drank a 6 pack of these... Very good, but not a session beer. Definitely a sipper

03-24-2009 04:07:26 | More by alpinebryant
chuckd123

Connecticut

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Big IPA fan as well as huge DFH fan, so trying the 120 was a must. But.. holy crap this thing is intense.

Poured from a 12oz bottle (purcahsed at a Whole Foods of all places for about $12 I believe) into a goblet. First impression, just watching it pour - was that the stuff has the consistency of syrup. I knew going into it that at 21% this was going to be in a league of its own and nothing like DFH's other IPA's, and that was a severe understatement.

No doubt DFH set out to create the most extreme IPA they could, and I guess you could say it's a success in that regard.

After pouring, I took a whiff and it's a little hard to describe. It actually smells thick and syrupy -- with the hops right in your face. There's a fruity/floral smell mixed with the hops, but the hops hit you right away -- and oddly, it actually smells syrupy if that makes any sense.

The taste is like no other beer I've ever tried. If I didn't know it was an iteration of an IPA, I probably wouldn't have guessed that it was. If you're thinking -- well, I like theiri 60 min, and the 90 is good too -- well know that this thing bears little resemblance to either of those.

Needless to say, drinkability is hindered by the abv%, one bottle of this is something you'd want to enjoy slowly. The taste grows on you substantially from the first sip to the last.

If you call yourself a hophead, give it a try - at least once.

07-30-2008 12:48:31 | More by chuckd123
tavernjef

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

A slight chill haze yellowy-orange color, very thin white head barely lasts, but not expected really much there with the 20%. Fairly good amounts of delicately thin lacing though. Not much aroma wise, mostly some very soft butterscotch-like warmth in alcohol, seemingly malty sweet mostly with light touches of waxy fresh hops. Taste is quite warm, moderate malty sweetness mostly, a bit complex yet mild, subdued fruityness of melons and a few darkened qualities with yellow raisin and fig. Some toffee and butterscotch meld together with a schnapps-like boozy warmth. Ends with a little extra kick of warmth, somewhat port-like and/or even vinous in character. Feel is well rounded, smooth, clean, and pretty full with a little burn of booze nearer the end and has some nice lingering sweetened mixtures that come through late in the finish...ah yes more malts...and more warmth. This is a major sipper and a great warmer-upper. I can see how some would be put off by its unusual presense and unexpected character, I went in with an open mind not trying to judge it from what I knew about the long hopping process this brew has. I was either expecting something overly hoppy or heavy malted, its the later, more like a sweeter aged barleywine then anything. Quite nice. Big thanks to jeffboo for the bottle!

01-17-2004 01:49:58 | More by tavernjef
ckeegan04

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

A - Dark coppery orange color. Thin yellowish head with little retention. Light lacing all the way down.

S - Alcohol and a spicy hop aroma. Interesting combo.

T - Very interesting balance of hop bite, alcohol, and a hint of malty sweetness. The alcohol/hop combo is a very unique taste and the sweetness provides just the right balance.

M/D - Full bodied with good carbonation. It is a little hot with the alcohol, bit overall a very good feel. Doesnt taste like it is 21%. An excellent beer for ending the night.

06-11-2008 02:50:01 | More by ckeegan04
biophiliadude

tap to snifter.

A: Amber, minimal head.

S: Caramel, fruit, booze.

T: Caramel, syrup, booze.

F: Super smooth.

D: A great beer to end a long, hard day of work with. Especially as it gets cold. Really enjoyable. I wish I could put it on some pancakes.

12-08-2009 22:23:54 | More by biophiliadude
Haybeerman

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Burnt caramel/orange color. Poured a thin, creamy light beige head that had some orange hues to it. The head dissipated quickly. Generous lacing was clean.

S: Very sweet and sugary. Pungent grapefruit floral aroma. Piney aroma round-out.

T: The initial flavor was pungent grapefruit, a big sugary sweetness and floral hoppiness; also some sweet caramel and sweet pine resin. Caramel and sweet grapefruit finish. Slight alcohol awareness for a beer thats 21% ABV; guess its masked by the huge sweet malting and citrusy sweet hopping. The strange balance brought to this beer has to be experienced.

M: Thick and oily. Coating sweet grapefruit and pine resin. Astringent floral bitterness on the finish. Warming alcohol subdued.

D: Assaults the senses so this is a sipper. Massive 21% ABV could be dangerous. A monster IPA. You just gotta taste this for yourself.

08-31-2008 12:25:24 | More by Haybeerman
trippytbta

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

A: poured amber dark orange with smaller head

S: fruity and alcohol!

T: pungent! Super alcohol but with mass taste. Malt and hop insanity. Hard to explain, maybe because I drank 2 in 30 min. Pungent beer is a good way to explain however.

M: thick and spicy. A little burn after from the abv.

Overall: pretty crazy ipa. You can tell they use tons of te primary ingrediants with care and time to make a "super beer".

06-20-2014 03:53:17 | More by trippytbta
rtepiak

Poland

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

absolutely an ender. if you could go there you can't return. i've had it before on an really hot day and had to share. the older the better. when young has a wafer yeasty quality in the malt. the older ones have a culmination of flavors. smells of rhubarb. and the palate is mildly citrus like a english barley. this is a barley most definitely. i would like to try it as fresh as it comes. has a long flavor that is suprisingly not as deep as i would have expected. quite drinkable when aged. smooth, caramel nougat, under ripen apple pie. a bit sour... a bit dense sugar laden. nicely carbonated.

08-20-2011 04:40:41 | More by rtepiak
Reagan1984

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Wow, this is really a whacky beer. At some level it really is like have a hop flower in your mouth.

There was a thin white foamy head that formed then faded. Split this bottle so I didn't get a full 12 oz pour. Not sure you'd want to drink an entire 12 oz bottle.. This beer was made for sharing. Bright golden amber with excellent clarity. Really a nice looking beer. No lacing or visible carbonation.

Aroma was huge and of pine & citrus. As if you were snorting hop pellets.

This really is an extreme beer. As huge as the flavor was, I was impressed with the balance. Huge sweetness and equally huge hop bitterness. Apricot, Melon/cantelope and honey flavors. Towards the end, some deep pine resin notes.

Syrup like and thick. Big doesn't begin to describe this.

It's very interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want an entire bottle for myself. At some level I guess this is a statement about it's drinkability.

Buy one to share. I have another and I'm going to age it for a couple of years.

12-31-2008 15:37:33 | More by Reagan1984
oriolesfan4

Maryland

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Package store got a batch of these in for $6.99 a 12 oz bottle so I had to try it...

Pours a cloudy orange with a thin head, smell is very citrusy and hop filled. First taste I was not prepared for.. felt like a full on shot of booze.. didn't sit well with me. The next sip, and following sips for that matter, went down much smoother. Maybe I had to warm up to it? Either way, it was enjoyable after the initial sip of it. Was it simply amazing? I wouldn't say that.. but it was cool to have a beer that is 21% ABV and I would have it again in a heartbeat.

12-26-2008 04:28:28 | More by oriolesfan4
bdcravens

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Overpaid for this, but it's hard to come by in Texas ($21 for a single bottle!) Resisted urge to drink; finally gave in and treated myself on my birthday.

A: Looks thick. Gentle pour into tulip barely clouded at first; leaves a minimal head and virtually no lacing. Red-orange in color. I can't see through to the other side of the glass.

S: ABV comes through first of all. A bit fearful; anything with a "liquor" smell really turns me off. However, that smell dissipates within a few minutes, and then I'm getting some apricots and grapefruit.

T: While I can get the ABV in the taste, it's not overpowering. Fruity flavors are coming through. A gentle sweetness. Very little hoppy bitterness. No lasting aftertaste. (The 18% ABV makes me weary of taking too big of swallow, however.)

M: Wine-like thickness. Crisp carbonation. Mouth not burned by ABV, but can feel the warmth as it gets to my throat.

O: Given its cost, I probably wouldn't buy this often. The ABV is scary, especially when you consider how smooth of a drink it is. I'd say the ABV hits you more readily in the DFH Santo Palo Marron, which is only 2/3 of this brew's ABV. Taste-wise, probably not the best Imperial IPA, but very good nonetheless.

04-14-2012 06:46:40 | More by bdcravens
BenJames1984

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

The date on the bottle says 11/08/08, so this has almost 8 months of age. I notice a little bit of a difference, but nothing significant.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance- Spectacular, hazy ruby color. Head was very white, but very thin.

Smell- The best way to describe it would be a sweet, fermenting citrus aroma with a kick of hops.

Taste- A myriad of hops, natural sugars, and alcohol. Extreme.

Mouthfeel- Extremely full bodied, with mild carbonation.

Drinkability- Not much to say, here. It's a rare occasion when I buy these, and for a good reason. Never will I drink more than one in a session. Let alone, a good three months.

06-24-2009 05:47:23 | More by BenJames1984
BS68280

South Carolina

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Received in a trade with hayesez. Thanks for the great beer. Poured from a bottle dated 02-09-09 into the DFH signature glass. This is my second bottle of this, the last one i had i few months ago was a 2006 vintage. I will try my best to compare them since that review was deleted with the site crash. I rated the 06 higher than this, as i did enjoy it a good bit more. On to the review.

A: Pours a golden amber, slightly hazy, with about 1/2" white head. The head does not stay very long, and leaves only the slightest lacing. To be expected from 18+abv.

S: As soon as I opened the bottle I immediately smelled the hops. Now that I am giving it a few more sniffs in the glass, it is more fruity and alchohol then hops. Peach, apple and caramel? Smells delicious, but not like an IPA of any kind, but just as i say that, here come the hops again... citrusy. If i recall correctly the 06 had more of a good cognac or rum smell to it.

T: I don't know if my palate just isn't that great yet but this one is difficult for me. It is not the hop bomb bitterness that you would expect. Very sweet... carmel, maple sweetness at the end. At first i believe it is from the malts, but the alcohol definitely lends it's giant hand. The alcohol is there, but not really hot and for sure not overpowering. I think the biggest characteristic the alcohol gives is the sweetness. I am trying to figure out where those hops went. Again not bitter in any way, i only get hints of the citrusy hops but they are outplayed by the sweetness. As it warms the alcohol gets a little warmer too, or maybe it is because i've had half the glass now. The 2006 reminded me almost exactly of Pyrat rum if any of you have had it.

M: Silky smooth, and more carbonation then you would think coming from a beer like this. I don't recall what the 06 felt like.

D: Wow... this is 18%+? Really? Goes down very easy. About halfway through it is starting to kick in, i think two would have made this review much more interesting.

12-21-2009 00:47:03 | More by BS68280
Edwin

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

Served in a 12-ounce bottle.

Appearance: Pours out a beautiful amber/gold color. A small amount of head at first that disappears quickly. Looks like a thing of beauty in my Troeg's Mad Elf glass.

Smell: Citrus, hops and an alcohol nose throughout. A bit strong on the nose. It gives you every indication that there is a lot included in the recipie.

Taste: Not at all what I was expecting. Sweet...very sweet. Hoppiness and an almost candy-like flavor. Fruit, honey, and hops plow over your tongue. Also...the alcohol is very noticeable. Gives a sweet burn in the throat, but not like drinking Souther Comfort. This is more of a mild warmth that is quite welcome after a few sips.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with low carbonation and a slight alcohol burn that will redden the cheeks.

Drinkability: Very drinkable for a single tasting. Anyone who can possibly drink 6 of these in a sitting deserves a trophy. The sweetness is very potent and the alcohol is very high.

Overall: I commend Dogfish on this complex sampling. It looks great, smells great, and even tastes great. The complexity of it is astounding. But it is meant for having one and one only. I reccommend the 60 or 90-minute for enjoying hops more. This is more of a gimmick than an actual beer, but does have a charm to it, so give it a whirl!

12-17-2003 23:05:04 | More by Edwin
lighthabit

Oregon

3.96/5  rDev -3.2%

clear, golden, nice head dies down quickly. intense smell, flavor is hops and malt on steroids, trying to fight against a whopping 14%. sweet like crazy and oily thick. not a brew for quaffing, but sipping with a friend. drop a point or two for being so very intense, it's a bit much. in it's favor, it's not a "girly ipa" like my bro usually calls em.

06-18-2013 03:21:56 | More by lighthabit
Sandbarunner

South Carolina

3.96/5  rDev -3.2%

First impression is this was carbonated Scotch! The booze in this one will knock you down!

Shared a 12 ounce bottle with a friend after pouring in tulip glasses. Both of us had to put it down it was so strong. Let it warm up and breath a little...

It got easier to drink or maybe we were just getting drunk on this one "beer." I am going with the latter.

04-04-2014 20:33:37 | More by Sandbarunner
pourmeup

Bottled on 5/1/09

A- has a cloudy orange amber color and a very thin white head that leaves a even thin lacing on my Westmalle chalice
S- very strong citrus aromas, lemon rind and grapefruit predominate the nose, you can definitely smell the alcohol from the beginning
T- lots of heat from the 18% alc/vol, very sweet and citrus on the pallet, almost has a sourness to it, it could use at least a year or more in the cellar
M- very creamy and smooth, low carbonation level
D- not as drinkable just due to the high alc/vol, as said earlier, it could use a year or more in the cellar, but overall quite an excellent choice

(reviewed by Daniel)

12-11-2009 00:25:13 | More by pourmeup
zaphodchak

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Golden amber with a thin trace of whitish head, just tracing over the surface.

Smells like plenty of hops, but not sharp.

Tastes like... Hop candy! Hops, peaches, plenty of smooth caramelly malt to balance the hops and get that gravity. Also plenty of honey.

Mouthfeel is pretty standard, not much to say here.

Well, completely different from the 60 and the 90. Much more similar to the World Wide Stout, just, y'know... not stout.

EDIT: Tried an '08 at DFH Brewing and Eats in Rehoboth Beach in Dec 2011. It was astringent, slightly herbal with hops that give way to honey, but not particularly sweet. Nose had mostly ethanol.

07-09-2011 02:33:46 | More by zaphodchak
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

I have never had a whole bottle of this fine elixer to myself untill now. So here goes. A light tan head reaches its peak at about an inch but quickly fades to just a skim. Body is a golden honey amber in color. Nose is lovely and really reminds me of a barlywine. You get hints of phenol spices, fresh citrus, alchol soaked dark fruits and boozy hop character. On first sip you get a very up front spicey alchol induced fuzzy feel all over the mouth. Big notes of citrus rind, rum soaked pears and syrupy sweetness. At 21% alchol this is a bottle best shared but if you have it to yourself sip it all night long. The hop profile is very subdued by the alchol but it is there, mostly on the end of the palate. Bitter feel is mixed with a soft richness that balances nicely. A big beer that has a lot of hype behind it. Worth trying at least once.

03-02-2008 18:53:39 | More by SPLITGRIN
StonyB

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Now here's a beer I have wanted to try for a while. Barcade, I salute you, thanks for tapping this...

Appearance - Thick, viscous, cloudy, almost chunky. Looks a lot like old-school apple cider. No head, a thin coating. Unusual, to say the least, though not unappealing.

Smell - Pungent. Real strong aroma of paint thinner. Tangerine, a bit of hops, and a whole bunch o' alcohol.

Taste - Oh my. Sweet, sweet, sweet liquer. Tart apples, toffee, floral and citric hops, bubblegum, oak. A potpourri of flavors here, amazingly complex.

Mouthfeel - Chalky feel, almost powdery. Thick. Quite acidic.

Drinkability - This really depends upon your definition. Incredibly complex with a 21% ABV, versus a tasty and interesting beer that seems to get better with each sip. You make the call.

Leave it to Dogfish Head to not push but eviscerate the boundaries. 120 Minute IPA is unique, and a must try.

07-25-2008 04:03:57 | More by StonyB
carln26

Missouri

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Extremely hazy with a light fluffy head that receded quickly into the glass. There is just a light residue settling to the bottom as I examine the beer. I'm still shocked that there is any head on the beer at all with the amount of alcohol present. The nose is a citrus bomb. Loads of grapefruit, pine, and herbal hop pour from the beer. Mild mandarin orange sweetness on the finish. Sharp grapefruit and mandarin orange sweetness up front, mild caramel notes are dominated by the hop. The finish has mild alcohol heat. It's there, but I can't believe there isn't more. The mouth feel is mildly sticky, still full. Decent drinkability. This is a big, hoppy beer. Not the best drinkability. It's more of an event.

11-19-2006 22:45:52 | More by carln26
oline73

Maryland

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

I had this on-tap at Max's. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with a layer of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Very sweet, but there is some hop presence too. The hop bitterness is somewhat herbal.

Taste: This is less cloying than the aged versions that I've tried. The herbal hops balanced things out well considering what they had to work with. Sweet and boozy in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy with smooth and fluffy carbonation and a finish that is a bit dry.

Overall: This was better fresh than it is ages. The balance is pretty good all things considered. Don't know that I need more, but perhaps.

12-04-2011 03:33:41 | More by oline73
kernalklink

Arizona

3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Wow- mindblowing D-IPA. Poured a cloudy gold as a good IPA should, with little head and lacing effect. Slick piney hop aromatics controlled the nose- the sharp burning on the first sip was masked only by the fruity apricot- peachiness of the crazy malt profile. An uppercut of hops on the finish- smooth and biting at the same time- great brew but keep it to 1 or 2 bottles or you may not wake up.

12-25-2006 15:58:00 | More by kernalklink