Microbrew Invitational

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,202 | Ratings: 7,823
4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Abosolutely outstanding! Another excursion across into Wisconsin and another great beer. Very malty and silky/syrupy on the palate. Not much head. You definitely notice the alcohol in the taste and even more so once you’ve finished! I was suprised to find that the hoppiness did not overwhelm this beer but that it was balanced very well.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a 2006 120 min. IPA poured into my brand new DFH goblet glass. It is almost 5 years old to the day. I can't tell if the born on date is 12/13 or 12/18/2006.

Look: A darker brownish/cherry color, off white head is small and falls into the brew quite fast. It certainly doesn't look like any other IPA. There is a good amount of cloudiness too.

Smell: It has a distinct hop resin scent with some honey, caramel, and dark fruit notes as well. It's strong and quite impressive. There is also a subtle hint at the potent alcohol content of the brew. As it warms it almost has an anise aroma.

Taste: There is a bit of a burnt caramel and cherry kind of flavor up front that develops into a more hoppy bitterness. The hops are kind of earthy at this point. It's kind of an odd toasty bitterness with a bit of citrus and an alcohol kick to finish it off. Despite the citrus hop bitterness, the overall taste is really sweet. I really wish I had a young bottle to compare side by side with this five year old bottle.

Feel: It actually has a pretty nice smooth, silky feel. There is definitely a bit of stickiness too.

Overall: This is the second bottle of 120 that I have had. The first was a much younger bottle and I don't remember much about it except that the flavor was too much for me. The sweetness was far too overpowering and while there is still a good amount of sweetness now, it's not as bad. This is a much more mellow and mature flavor that I really enjoy. The aroma and tastes are the real highlights for me. It is very unique. It also goes down surprisingly quick for such a high alcohol beer. I give it a 4.5 overall because it is such a unique smell and flavor, but I suspect that is because of the age and that a younger 120 would get a slightly lower score.

Date: 12/17/2011
Serving: 12 oz bottle in DFH goblet

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

On draft in a snifter at the Sunset Grill. So after an awesome weekend in Boston, including the Great American Beerfest, We decided to check out the 100+ taps at the Sunset Grill. So ive learned over the years that there is always an item that isnt on the menu, so i asked our waiter if there were any special beers on tap that werent listed....and low and behold DFH 120min on tap...JACKPOT

A - Nice cloudy orange color with a huge foamy head

S - Hops, hops and some more hops. Really you can't smell anything else some grapefruit/citrus notes

T - Sweet with a lot milder hop flavor than expected from the smell. The only flavor I could pick out was orange peel. and more hops

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Pretty easy drinking considering the 21% ABV

I had this out of the bottle once, and i dont think the bottle has that old and i did not enjoy at all, way to much alcohol and not a good hop balance, but on tap a totally different beast

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Have had this maybe a handful of times - from undrinkable (the first time trying it, filtered through a Randall at the Rehoboth brewpub - tooo much!) to actually quite quaffable (as it was with last night's large pour).

A: generously served in a 12oz goblet (menu stated 8oz pour), it's a slightly hazy, copper-orange with a 1/2" slowly fading head with a vague cream-yellow tint. Moderate ringed lacing. One gets the sense that the beer is not light-drinking.

S: aggressively "hoppy" hop aromas, dank, resiny, piney/woody....vibrantly fruity - dried mango....smoothed-out, wort-y, hard-candy-like unfermentables, yet balanced wonderfully against the hops, with the alcohols and phenols present yet surprisingly understated

T/M: as in the smell, they really balanced everything out so well in this batch....actually does not come across nearly as bitter as it's billed - the malt sugars, several notches short of cloying, tone down the bitterness and perhaps the overall intensity of the citrus-resiny, silky-spicy hop flavor itself - that same malt foundation, while surprisingly allowing an almost roasty-nutty, cereal-like grain flavor to somehow poke through, also blankets the burn/bite of the high alcohol superbly - comforting alcohol warmth still manages to ribbon through 2/3 the way through each sip, but it's a creeper for sure....often, in past samplings, came across to me as "hop syrup", but this one was refreshingly on the drier side for once

O: certainly not for everybody, including myself....in the mood for an intense, rich, hoppy cordial of a beer? this is king....and when they nail it, they really nail it, and it's wonderful and an achievement in brewing to marvel at!...something to keep tuned in to batch-to-batch....

2004:
Clear burnt orange colour topped by a dense, cream head that was speckled with a few large bubbles. Nice lacing from beginning to end and fine foam remained righ through to the finish. The aroma was a good balance of caramel and toasted maltiness, warm alcohol, and rich American hops (mostly pine) that were never quite aggressive. Big, caramel malt flavour kicks things off, and the alcohol warmth begins at the midpoint. This is also where the hops pick up, starting with pine and changing to orange/citrus towards the finish. Great balance. Full, viscous body that's just short of syrupy. Medium dry finish from the bountiful hop resin. Considering the gravity, this is a highly drinkable beer that wasn't cloying or out of balance. Very enjoyable.

12 oz. bottle, poured into a large snifter, 21% ABV

A: dark amber, almost orange...thick 1-finger head to start, but diminished quickly...light carbonation with bubbly action that lasted for quite a while...small amount of lacing left behind.

S: strong alcoholic and some citrus - grapefruit, and some orange.

T: surprisingly malty to start with a caramely sweetness and something else that I can't place...hops coming on strong at the end, and lingering...slight alcoholic burn comes on later in the chest.

M: fairly full-bodied and thick, especially for an IPA, slightly carbonated.

D: amazingly drinkable for the style and the ABV...if I had to guess the ABV based on taste alone, I would say 7-9%.

...really a nice surprise all around...just missed this on tap at the map room a month ago - now I'm really sorry that I did.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

Great beer. Really strong almost like barleywine. Subtle in alcohol, not noticable. But be careful it sure is there. I think its 20%. Good winter beer, really warms you up. Smooth flavors. Full bodied beer. Great beer from Dogfish head. Very enjoyable. Malty and hoppy. Copper in color. I really liked this beer.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Beautiful amber. Cloudy, almost opaque. Thin head dissipates quickly.

S - Alcohol, caramel and pine.

T - Amazingly malty for an IPA. Drinks closer to a barleywine but remains balanced by the extreme hoppiness buried within. Definite alcohol burn at the end.

F - Solid mouth feel, almost closer to that of a stout than an IPA. Mouth feel almost dissipates due to the high APV.

O - Insanity in a bottle. Malt, hops, burn and repeat.

12 oz bottle dated 2011 poured into a snifter

A- A bright orange/copper color with a small one finger head that faded quickly, nice lacing.

S- Citrus/tropical hops and alcohol, there is a nice sweetness to the hops.

T- Hops, tropical and citrus fruits, a candy/molasses sweetness, alcohol is noticeable and adds to the complexity, but doesn't taste like it is around 18% ABV. This has some really nice bitterness to it.

M- Medium to full body, surprisingly smooth.

O- I am truly surprised how good this is fresh, I really thought it would be too boozy and a little bit of a mess. I have had it before with some age on it, and it is great aged. I am really glad that I was able to get ahold of a few bottles. I can't wait to have this again with some age on it.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

A - Pours a light amber, completely clear with a constant cascade of tiny carbonation bubbles. 1 finger off white head that stays around for quite a while.

S - Fairly well balanced on the aroma. No noticeable alcohol, but the caramel malts and earthy hops balance out perfectly. Pine, orange citrus, hints of lemon, and just general hop bitterness followed up with sweet caramel.

T - Same balance in the nose with some added characters. The caramel malts still balance perfectly with the hops creating a beer that is in no way too hop-dominant. Still, earthy hops dominate the hop flavor, coming in next is the general bitterness with the citrus hops chilling in the background. Alcohol is definitely noticeable in the taste, but not to a detriment. It is there right for the initial hit on your tongue, but that's just it. It doesn't show itself again anywhere in the beer, except maybe at the tail end of the finish.

M - Medium bodied, super sticky. Just as with most IPAs I enjoy, the sticky malts help the hop flavors and bitterness to cling to the inside of your mouth forever. Finish is sticky sweet with mostly caramel flavor and hints of citrus hops with general bitterness.

O - I have been waiting to get my hands on this beer for a while now. It has lived up to expectations. While it isn't the best example of an IPA I have had, it does an amazing job to balance itself and the alcohol for the ABV it contains.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

I Had to stalk the few stores that were expecting shipments just to get my hands on a few bottles down here in Miami. Needless to say I was pretty excited to get my hands on this gem.

Poured a beautiful orange copper color with a light tan head. The aroma was a fruity with some pine notes and the alcohol smell was quite strong but was still disguised somewhat by the hoppiness. Taste is quite good. Pretty much follows the nose but I tasted less alcohol than I smelled. Much sweeter than I had expected but there is enough bitterness to help balance it out nicely. It is quite an experience on the palate. I expected for it to have more of an alcohol bite in the mouth but didn’t really feel like 18% ABV until the warmth was sliding down my throat. Can’t wait to see what a few years will do to the rest of the batch.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

Alright, before I even crack this girl open, I have to remark: 18% alcohol? Kiss my mother loving grits, that is a dirty girl. I've been sitting on this beer for a while now, waiting for the right moment, and now, tonight, on a wonderful isolated Friday night, I shall indulge.

A - The appearance is a molasses orange peel with a milk-white head that is about a half of a finger. Great lacing, great retention.

S - The smell explodes with hoppiness and pine resin which overrides the immense alcoholic nature of this beverage, you can definitely smell the alcohol though (actually it's pretty in your face, especially as it warms), and there is a grapefruit quality to it as well.

T - Wow. Woah. Wee. Wowoahwee. This crosses the line between beer and liqueur. I've been told the difference maker with this beer is that you need to approach it with the right attitude, this is not a beer to chug, you need to take small sips, like your drinking whiskey. Entirely unique. The obvious flavor here is orange. I'm actually surprised at just how drinkable this is. And it's GOOD. My god is this good. But it's so different, I feel like it belongs in a class of it's own. Overwhelmingly bitter/sweet with a warming sensation that is no longer a warming sensation but an outright alcohol burn as it goes down into you. This might not be for everyone but it is for me...Towards the end the flavors become more and more sweet with almost a juicy fruity flavor to it and yet a big dry alcoholic finish. Crazy hops in this one, crazy alcoholic, great fruit flavors. I love this beer. So unique. So good. I am definitely going to pick up another one the next time I see it.

M - Full bodied to be sure, but I've had barley wines that are thicker and more gooey than this. It's owing to just the right amount of carbonation that keeps it from being bogged down. Just perfectly crafted.

O - What more can I say. I've never had anything like this in my relatively short beer drinking career. I can't compare it to the 60 or 90 minute because this beer is completely unlike them even while it is like them. I love this beer, it is a damn courageous undertaking for any brewer and it was created beautifully.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in recent trade w/ a NY BA.
Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Wow--big, carmelly malt profile. Herbal hops accompany a sweet, candied pineapple aroma. Also evident is a soft alcohol note.

A: Body of the beer is halfway between copper and gold, with a slight haze. Pours a 1/2 finger of off-white foam, which goes away fast.

F: Wow again! Big, boozy caramel. Herbal hops, and candied pineapple again. Peppery booze. Again, very sweet, sticky caramel flavor. Also picking up a cherry-vanilla flavor.

M: Medium-full slick mouthfeel. Carbonation is medium-low.

O: I always heard great things about this brew, but then read recent threads with "polarized" opinions. I definitely stand with those who think this beer is a great one. (I only wish it weren't so hard to find!) Get a bottle and see for your self!

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

Pretaste Notes: This is the famed 120 Minute IPA. I've been trying to find this for a while, and I finally got my hands on one the other day. It says on the label that the beer "ages well," and that one can lay this beer down for "about a decade." However, I'm moving out of the country and will probably be unable to cellar it in one place for any extended amount of time, so I will go for it now. After all, it does say on the label that it is perfectly OK to "enjoy now"

Appearance: Poured from the 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. The bottle is very classy looking, simple and clean, with a painting of a hop displayed above the logo. Told how it's made on the side of the peach colored paper label. The beer is a bright orange with shades of red. After a hard pour, the beer achieved a little less than 2 fingers worth of off-white head with little retention.

Smell: A great introduction to this beer experience. The huge hop aroma is noticeable from over a foot away. After swirling the glass, a surprisigly fruity aroma rises from beneath the immense piney and citrus-smelling hops. For a beer this hoppy, the sweet smell was not expected but definitely not unwelcome. Surprising balance, while still preparing you for the hop bomb that is sure to follow.

Taste: Huge flavor, even from the smallest of sips. Interestingly, there is a huge amount of balance as well. The beer starts out with an unexpected maltiness of all things, leading into a sweet berry fruitiness. Then the hops just take over everything. Spreading to every corner of the mouth and throat, citrusy flavors of orange and grapefruit fade in and out of the immense bitterness, along with a big sprucy pine flavor. The beer finishes with a big alcohol dryness that wasn't unexpected that leaves the toungue tingling and a slight burn in the throat, along with the lingering flavor of fruit and of course the ever-present hop.

Mouthfeel: Thick in the mouth with an unmistakeable alcohol tingle and burn. The sensation left in the mouth after swallowing is a little sticky and oily, as if I just swallowed some tree sap. Delicious, sweet and hoppy tree sap. However, the alcohol comes through and dries everything up.

Drinkability: One. Is. More. Than. Enough. This was one to take extremely slowly, lasting me about an hour to take in the whole thing. The beerevolves as it warms, and the flavors become more intense and pronounced as it reaches room temperature.

Notes: My first experience with this near-legendary beer was a good one. If I can find it a couple more I'd really like to lay them down for a while to see how the flavors evolve over time. Unfortunately, as I previously mentioned, I don't think I'll be able to do that for a while. However, it was still quite the beer when fresh. Overall, this experience did not disappoint. Everything that I expected from such an intensely hopped beer, but also surprising in that I found sme balance and an underlying sweetness holding everything together. Truly, this was more than a drink... Rather a meditation on all things beer, an exercise for the tastebuds and a great opportunity for contemplating the good things in life. Definitely recommended

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to BoldRulerVT for bringing over a 4-year old bottle of DFH 120 last night. This was surprisingly good beer and not at all what I expected. Poured into tulips and enjoyed at dusk out on the deck.

It's a hazy washed-out apricot color with a thin white head that sticks around for a while and leaves a bit of lace.

The aroma is strong with an assortment of dried fruit - apricot, prune, raisin, lots of sweetness here with absolutely no hop aroma.

Taste is nicely balanced between the sweet dried fruit and enough soft bitterness to support it. No trace of the high ABV.

Mouth is medium bodied, which is surprising given the high ABV. I really expected a fuller mouth, but was really pleased that it wasn't.

Overall, this is an unusual beer that ages wonderfully and is surprisingly tasty. I have a year-old bottle stashed and I think I'll give it a few more years, as this four-year old seemed just right.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

Vintage 2006. Poured into a brandy snifter.

Pours a golden copper color. Smell is of alcohol and burnt candi sugar. Very divine. Burnt orange candy dances across your tongue. Carbonation is there but pretty minimal. There is a tiny alcohol feel to it on the backend. It is faint but certainly there.

One would think after five years this would be past its point, I beg to differ. This beer was rock solid. I've been waiting awhile to try this and I certainly glad I did.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance: Lighter amber colored body with a little cloudiness. Off white sea foam-like head. Very sexy head. Kind of disappointed that it didn't have any sort of date on the bottle so I'd know how old it is. And the bottle looks much different than the posted one.

Smell: sort of a citrusy, piney, grape-like hop smell reaches my nose just as soon as I open the bottle.

Taste: Well it is very much hopped indeed. Not quite past my tolerance level though. Incredibly sweet alcohol...something like good russian vodka. Hops are very grape-like and a hint of cedar.

Mouthfeel: mouth warming...throat warming...stomach warming...alcoholic but no burn or irritation. Not overwhelming especially for 40 proof. The beer is also astringent, but no more than I'd expect.

Drinkability: How drinkable can it be? you might ask? Hopped to hell and extremely high gravity--but done in such a way to make it an easy drink for the hop head in me. The real question is probably whether it is worth the hefty price. I can't buy it everyday, but it is still worth a try.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fresh 2012 Bottle.

A: Deep reddish orange, no head, minimal lacing.

S: Sweet tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, resinous pine, sweet caramel, honey, booze. Very aromatic hops smell more sweet than anything.

T: Sweet tropical/citrus hops, pineapple, tangerine, nectarine, grapefruit. Hops come through sweet but still pick at your palate with moderate bitterness. Honey and caramel stay strong in the background to back the hops up. Alcohol definitely shows but it's quite subdued for it's abv. I've had much hotter beers with significantly lower abv.

M: Full bodied, smooth, slightly sticky finish. carbonation is soft-moderate.

O: I really enjoy this beer. It's more of an english-american fusion barleywine rather than an IPA. Threw a 4-pack of last years in the cellar definitely throwing a few in the cellar this year.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

Shared in 4-ounce increments with my brother and dad.

A: Poured a deep, hazy copper-orange with a small, but thick head of creamy, off-white foam. There is noticeable oily hop residue in the bottom of the glass, and carbonation is sparse.

S: Smell is quite alcoholic, almost to the point of being medicinal, or like "cleaning supplies." However, the oily pine, grapefruit and citric hop aroma is so deep and musky. There is a sweetness rising from it, but it's mostly like a wonderful Christmas tree.

T: Big time hops; sweet oily pine hop attack on the front, sides and middle of the tongue. There is a certain balance to it, and the alcohol is masked somewhat, but it could stand to mellow a bit, if that's possible.

M: Has a heavy, warming, syrupy mouthfeel, like your holding a bit of Aunt Jemima in your mouth. Hop sting is noticeable, and the alcohol burn is there too.

D: It's not difficult to drink, but it's meant to be savored, and as such, I wouldn't recommend having the whole bottle by yourself. It's a sipper, and a true delight for hopheads.

Got this bottle for Christmas from a friend, but I've been cellaring a 4-pack bought in Rehoboth Beach this August. Now that I've got it out of my system, I can let that sit for 5-10 years, if I can contain myself. 90 Minute is smoother, but this brew truly embraces the slogan, "Feel the Burn ... That's the Sickness, AND the Cure."

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A big bruiser of an IPA, I little thick on pallet, the hops are there but somewhat overwhelmed but the sweet, caramel and honey flavors and obviously some big boozy notes. Inspite of the beers aggressive nature it remains deceptively drinkable, just a fun beer to drink.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A group of friends and I shared 12 ounce capped bottles at a local extreme beer sampling event held on the banks of the Columbia River.

A: It poured a orangeish-gold syrupy body with a slight head that clung to the collar and did not support any lacing.

S: It was dominantly sweet and cirtrusy with an aroma not unlike a combination of dark brown sugar pared with bitter white grapefruit. Plenty of sweet malts and floral and citrus hops.

T: Dogfish like Stone know how to balance malts and high IBU beers. It started syrupy sweet then the sweetness was infused with citrus flavors including grapefruits, oranges and pineapples. It ended with a slight bite on the back side with a sweet and tart aftertaste.

M: It was a full-bodied brew with a syrupy stickiness that coated my mouth. It finished warm with a lingering sweet and tart after taste.

D: It was a sipper beer that did a tremendous job of packing in a mountain of hops along with an equal volume of sweet malts. It is not a "session" beer unless one bottle is the definition of a session. I would love to have a cellared bottle of this beer again in about 3-5 years.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours out an amber color with just the slightest haze. Only a small ring of off white head. Little head is to be expected from the light carb and high ABV.

S: Big maltiness. Sweet smells of pineapple and citrus.

T: Boozy bite is faintly present but it is an overall malty wonder. The sweet flavors of fruit that are present in the nose really come out here as well.

M: Heavy, sticky body and a light carb. Slight astringency from the booze.

O: Really fantastic and worth the hype (and pricetag).

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

A- pours golden brown with no head. Looks like apple cider, actually. Cloudy/milky appearance, like coffee with a creamer or unfiltered apple juice.

S- Like smelling concentrated hop oil. You've never smelled a beer like this.

T- WOW. Taste kicks you in the face. What's surprising, though, is you taste the hops and a sweetness, but you don't taste the alcohol. You can taste it, however, after you exhale. This is more like 'hop juice' than it is a beer. This really is the holy grail for hop heads.. You have to try this just to experience the first sip. After the initial shock wears off and the alcohol numbs your tastebuds, the beer gets a little mellower and the flavors start to really work well.

M- Very nice, considering the alcohol content. Not too carbonated. Warm going down.

D- I'm mixed on this, it goes down very smooth considering it tops out at 20%, which is insane. You're better off splitting a bottle or only having 1 12 oz for yourself, though. Doing 2 of these in a night would almost certainly cause you a lot of problems. About 1/3 of the way through, my head started feeling really warm. This packs a ridiculous punch, which is compounded by its drinkability.

Final thoughts: I buy 4-6 of these a year. Good for a special occasion, but more than 1 of these a month and you'll overdo it. Still, these store every well, I have put a couple in storage and have been satisfied with how well they sit. Dogfish hits the bullseye with this beer and show again how they are on the forefront of brewing. An extreme extreme beer on steroids, this beer is not for the weak. I suggest you develop a taste for some of the higher DIPAs before you try and crack this one.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%

12oz bottle obtained through a trade.

A- Pours a golden brown much similar to the look of honey with a small head.

S- Smell was very fruity, slightly malty with a presence of hops and a hint of strong alcohol at the end.

T- This beer was very sweet which I wasn't expecting but was very good. Hops definitely come through after the sweetness with a nice maltiness to go along with it. The alcohol is very well covered up, I would never guess this beer was around 20% if I tried it blindly.

M- Thick mouthfeel and light carbonation. Warmed up my mouth, throat and belly momentarily after the first sip.

D- I could easily sip on a couple of these. It tastes like nothing I've ever had before but in the good sense. Not your typical IPA but very interesting and good all around. I will hopefully have another one of these in the future.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look - Frothy off-white head, thick, decent retention/lacing. Beautiful gold color with a light amber hue.

Smell - Pine needles! Subtle undertones that I cannot depict.

Taste - Obviously amazing. So much hop flavor but with NO bitterness whatsoever (appeals to me as I am not a huge hop head). Piney flavor, sweet and succulent.

Feel - Smooth, smooth, smooth. A little heat from the alcohol but overall very well masked considering the ABV.

Overall - Truly one of a kind. Never had an IPA, or any beer for that matter, taste like this. I would highly recommend it.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery