120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,188 | Ratings: 7,779
4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

Alright, before I even crack this girl open, I have to remark: 18% alcohol? Kiss my mother loving grits, that is a dirty girl. I've been sitting on this beer for a while now, waiting for the right moment, and now, tonight, on a wonderful isolated Friday night, I shall indulge.

A - The appearance is a molasses orange peel with a milk-white head that is about a half of a finger. Great lacing, great retention.

S - The smell explodes with hoppiness and pine resin which overrides the immense alcoholic nature of this beverage, you can definitely smell the alcohol though (actually it's pretty in your face, especially as it warms), and there is a grapefruit quality to it as well.

T - Wow. Woah. Wee. Wowoahwee. This crosses the line between beer and liqueur. I've been told the difference maker with this beer is that you need to approach it with the right attitude, this is not a beer to chug, you need to take small sips, like your drinking whiskey. Entirely unique. The obvious flavor here is orange. I'm actually surprised at just how drinkable this is. And it's GOOD. My god is this good. But it's so different, I feel like it belongs in a class of it's own. Overwhelmingly bitter/sweet with a warming sensation that is no longer a warming sensation but an outright alcohol burn as it goes down into you. This might not be for everyone but it is for me...Towards the end the flavors become more and more sweet with almost a juicy fruity flavor to it and yet a big dry alcoholic finish. Crazy hops in this one, crazy alcoholic, great fruit flavors. I love this beer. So unique. So good. I am definitely going to pick up another one the next time I see it.

M - Full bodied to be sure, but I've had barley wines that are thicker and more gooey than this. It's owing to just the right amount of carbonation that keeps it from being bogged down. Just perfectly crafted.

O - What more can I say. I've never had anything like this in my relatively short beer drinking career. I can't compare it to the 60 or 90 minute because this beer is completely unlike them even while it is like them. I love this beer, it is a damn courageous undertaking for any brewer and it was created beautifully.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received in recent trade w/ a NY BA.
Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Wow--big, carmelly malt profile. Herbal hops accompany a sweet, candied pineapple aroma. Also evident is a soft alcohol note.

A: Body of the beer is halfway between copper and gold, with a slight haze. Pours a 1/2 finger of off-white foam, which goes away fast.

F: Wow again! Big, boozy caramel. Herbal hops, and candied pineapple again. Peppery booze. Again, very sweet, sticky caramel flavor. Also picking up a cherry-vanilla flavor.

M: Medium-full slick mouthfeel. Carbonation is medium-low.

O: I always heard great things about this brew, but then read recent threads with "polarized" opinions. I definitely stand with those who think this beer is a great one. (I only wish it weren't so hard to find!) Get a bottle and see for your self!

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

Pretaste Notes: This is the famed 120 Minute IPA. I've been trying to find this for a while, and I finally got my hands on one the other day. It says on the label that the beer "ages well," and that one can lay this beer down for "about a decade." However, I'm moving out of the country and will probably be unable to cellar it in one place for any extended amount of time, so I will go for it now. After all, it does say on the label that it is perfectly OK to "enjoy now"

Appearance: Poured from the 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. The bottle is very classy looking, simple and clean, with a painting of a hop displayed above the logo. Told how it's made on the side of the peach colored paper label. The beer is a bright orange with shades of red. After a hard pour, the beer achieved a little less than 2 fingers worth of off-white head with little retention.

Smell: A great introduction to this beer experience. The huge hop aroma is noticeable from over a foot away. After swirling the glass, a surprisigly fruity aroma rises from beneath the immense piney and citrus-smelling hops. For a beer this hoppy, the sweet smell was not expected but definitely not unwelcome. Surprising balance, while still preparing you for the hop bomb that is sure to follow.

Taste: Huge flavor, even from the smallest of sips. Interestingly, there is a huge amount of balance as well. The beer starts out with an unexpected maltiness of all things, leading into a sweet berry fruitiness. Then the hops just take over everything. Spreading to every corner of the mouth and throat, citrusy flavors of orange and grapefruit fade in and out of the immense bitterness, along with a big sprucy pine flavor. The beer finishes with a big alcohol dryness that wasn't unexpected that leaves the toungue tingling and a slight burn in the throat, along with the lingering flavor of fruit and of course the ever-present hop.

Mouthfeel: Thick in the mouth with an unmistakeable alcohol tingle and burn. The sensation left in the mouth after swallowing is a little sticky and oily, as if I just swallowed some tree sap. Delicious, sweet and hoppy tree sap. However, the alcohol comes through and dries everything up.

Drinkability: One. Is. More. Than. Enough. This was one to take extremely slowly, lasting me about an hour to take in the whole thing. The beerevolves as it warms, and the flavors become more intense and pronounced as it reaches room temperature.

Notes: My first experience with this near-legendary beer was a good one. If I can find it a couple more I'd really like to lay them down for a while to see how the flavors evolve over time. Unfortunately, as I previously mentioned, I don't think I'll be able to do that for a while. However, it was still quite the beer when fresh. Overall, this experience did not disappoint. Everything that I expected from such an intensely hopped beer, but also surprising in that I found sme balance and an underlying sweetness holding everything together. Truly, this was more than a drink... Rather a meditation on all things beer, an exercise for the tastebuds and a great opportunity for contemplating the good things in life. Definitely recommended

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to BoldRulerVT for bringing over a 4-year old bottle of DFH 120 last night. This was surprisingly good beer and not at all what I expected. Poured into tulips and enjoyed at dusk out on the deck.

It's a hazy washed-out apricot color with a thin white head that sticks around for a while and leaves a bit of lace.

The aroma is strong with an assortment of dried fruit - apricot, prune, raisin, lots of sweetness here with absolutely no hop aroma.

Taste is nicely balanced between the sweet dried fruit and enough soft bitterness to support it. No trace of the high ABV.

Mouth is medium bodied, which is surprising given the high ABV. I really expected a fuller mouth, but was really pleased that it wasn't.

Overall, this is an unusual beer that ages wonderfully and is surprisingly tasty. I have a year-old bottle stashed and I think I'll give it a few more years, as this four-year old seemed just right.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

Vintage 2006. Poured into a brandy snifter.

Pours a golden copper color. Smell is of alcohol and burnt candi sugar. Very divine. Burnt orange candy dances across your tongue. Carbonation is there but pretty minimal. There is a tiny alcohol feel to it on the backend. It is faint but certainly there.

One would think after five years this would be past its point, I beg to differ. This beer was rock solid. I've been waiting awhile to try this and I certainly glad I did.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance: Lighter amber colored body with a little cloudiness. Off white sea foam-like head. Very sexy head. Kind of disappointed that it didn't have any sort of date on the bottle so I'd know how old it is. And the bottle looks much different than the posted one.

Smell: sort of a citrusy, piney, grape-like hop smell reaches my nose just as soon as I open the bottle.

Taste: Well it is very much hopped indeed. Not quite past my tolerance level though. Incredibly sweet alcohol...something like good russian vodka. Hops are very grape-like and a hint of cedar.

Mouthfeel: mouth warming...throat warming...stomach warming...alcoholic but no burn or irritation. Not overwhelming especially for 40 proof. The beer is also astringent, but no more than I'd expect.

Drinkability: How drinkable can it be? you might ask? Hopped to hell and extremely high gravity--but done in such a way to make it an easy drink for the hop head in me. The real question is probably whether it is worth the hefty price. I can't buy it everyday, but it is still worth a try.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fresh 2012 Bottle.

A: Deep reddish orange, no head, minimal lacing.

S: Sweet tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, resinous pine, sweet caramel, honey, booze. Very aromatic hops smell more sweet than anything.

T: Sweet tropical/citrus hops, pineapple, tangerine, nectarine, grapefruit. Hops come through sweet but still pick at your palate with moderate bitterness. Honey and caramel stay strong in the background to back the hops up. Alcohol definitely shows but it's quite subdued for it's abv. I've had much hotter beers with significantly lower abv.

M: Full bodied, smooth, slightly sticky finish. carbonation is soft-moderate.

O: I really enjoy this beer. It's more of an english-american fusion barleywine rather than an IPA. Threw a 4-pack of last years in the cellar definitely throwing a few in the cellar this year.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

Shared in 4-ounce increments with my brother and dad.

A: Poured a deep, hazy copper-orange with a small, but thick head of creamy, off-white foam. There is noticeable oily hop residue in the bottom of the glass, and carbonation is sparse.

S: Smell is quite alcoholic, almost to the point of being medicinal, or like "cleaning supplies." However, the oily pine, grapefruit and citric hop aroma is so deep and musky. There is a sweetness rising from it, but it's mostly like a wonderful Christmas tree.

T: Big time hops; sweet oily pine hop attack on the front, sides and middle of the tongue. There is a certain balance to it, and the alcohol is masked somewhat, but it could stand to mellow a bit, if that's possible.

M: Has a heavy, warming, syrupy mouthfeel, like your holding a bit of Aunt Jemima in your mouth. Hop sting is noticeable, and the alcohol burn is there too.

D: It's not difficult to drink, but it's meant to be savored, and as such, I wouldn't recommend having the whole bottle by yourself. It's a sipper, and a true delight for hopheads.

Got this bottle for Christmas from a friend, but I've been cellaring a 4-pack bought in Rehoboth Beach this August. Now that I've got it out of my system, I can let that sit for 5-10 years, if I can contain myself. 90 Minute is smoother, but this brew truly embraces the slogan, "Feel the Burn ... That's the Sickness, AND the Cure."

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A big bruiser of an IPA, I little thick on pallet, the hops are there but somewhat overwhelmed but the sweet, caramel and honey flavors and obviously some big boozy notes. Inspite of the beers aggressive nature it remains deceptively drinkable, just a fun beer to drink.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A group of friends and I shared 12 ounce capped bottles at a local extreme beer sampling event held on the banks of the Columbia River.

A: It poured a orangeish-gold syrupy body with a slight head that clung to the collar and did not support any lacing.

S: It was dominantly sweet and cirtrusy with an aroma not unlike a combination of dark brown sugar pared with bitter white grapefruit. Plenty of sweet malts and floral and citrus hops.

T: Dogfish like Stone know how to balance malts and high IBU beers. It started syrupy sweet then the sweetness was infused with citrus flavors including grapefruits, oranges and pineapples. It ended with a slight bite on the back side with a sweet and tart aftertaste.

M: It was a full-bodied brew with a syrupy stickiness that coated my mouth. It finished warm with a lingering sweet and tart after taste.

D: It was a sipper beer that did a tremendous job of packing in a mountain of hops along with an equal volume of sweet malts. It is not a "session" beer unless one bottle is the definition of a session. I would love to have a cellared bottle of this beer again in about 3-5 years.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours out an amber color with just the slightest haze. Only a small ring of off white head. Little head is to be expected from the light carb and high ABV.

S: Big maltiness. Sweet smells of pineapple and citrus.

T: Boozy bite is faintly present but it is an overall malty wonder. The sweet flavors of fruit that are present in the nose really come out here as well.

M: Heavy, sticky body and a light carb. Slight astringency from the booze.

O: Really fantastic and worth the hype (and pricetag).

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

A- pours golden brown with no head. Looks like apple cider, actually. Cloudy/milky appearance, like coffee with a creamer or unfiltered apple juice.

S- Like smelling concentrated hop oil. You've never smelled a beer like this.

T- WOW. Taste kicks you in the face. What's surprising, though, is you taste the hops and a sweetness, but you don't taste the alcohol. You can taste it, however, after you exhale. This is more like 'hop juice' than it is a beer. This really is the holy grail for hop heads.. You have to try this just to experience the first sip. After the initial shock wears off and the alcohol numbs your tastebuds, the beer gets a little mellower and the flavors start to really work well.

M- Very nice, considering the alcohol content. Not too carbonated. Warm going down.

D- I'm mixed on this, it goes down very smooth considering it tops out at 20%, which is insane. You're better off splitting a bottle or only having 1 12 oz for yourself, though. Doing 2 of these in a night would almost certainly cause you a lot of problems. About 1/3 of the way through, my head started feeling really warm. This packs a ridiculous punch, which is compounded by its drinkability.

Final thoughts: I buy 4-6 of these a year. Good for a special occasion, but more than 1 of these a month and you'll overdo it. Still, these store every well, I have put a couple in storage and have been satisfied with how well they sit. Dogfish hits the bullseye with this beer and show again how they are on the forefront of brewing. An extreme extreme beer on steroids, this beer is not for the weak. I suggest you develop a taste for some of the higher DIPAs before you try and crack this one.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%

12oz bottle obtained through a trade.

A- Pours a golden brown much similar to the look of honey with a small head.

S- Smell was very fruity, slightly malty with a presence of hops and a hint of strong alcohol at the end.

T- This beer was very sweet which I wasn't expecting but was very good. Hops definitely come through after the sweetness with a nice maltiness to go along with it. The alcohol is very well covered up, I would never guess this beer was around 20% if I tried it blindly.

M- Thick mouthfeel and light carbonation. Warmed up my mouth, throat and belly momentarily after the first sip.

D- I could easily sip on a couple of these. It tastes like nothing I've ever had before but in the good sense. Not your typical IPA but very interesting and good all around. I will hopefully have another one of these in the future.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look - Frothy off-white head, thick, decent retention/lacing. Beautiful gold color with a light amber hue.

Smell - Pine needles! Subtle undertones that I cannot depict.

Taste - Obviously amazing. So much hop flavor but with NO bitterness whatsoever (appeals to me as I am not a huge hop head). Piney flavor, sweet and succulent.

Feel - Smooth, smooth, smooth. A little heat from the alcohol but overall very well masked considering the ABV.

Overall - Truly one of a kind. Never had an IPA, or any beer for that matter, taste like this. I would highly recommend it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: dark orangey/amber/red with a whitish head that less towards the thinner side
S: earth/grass, pine, alcohol, citrus, and tropical fruit
T: very very sweet with some booze (very well hidden), pineapple and other tropical fruits, candy and sugary. Alcohol burn when swallowed.
M: moderately bodied with very little to no carbonation
O: glad I got to experience this and want to age some to see how the flavor will develop. Definitely impressed with the high abv and still being able to maintain good flavors! Thank you DFH!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

All I can say is this beer will knock your socks off. There are two ways it can do this. Either by the hops aroma or the alcohol after taste.

I just picked up 3 cases of this in Richmond, VA and could not wait to get home to try it. When poured, it fills up the pint glass to the top with about an inch of head. It has a dark orange color to it. The scent is great, but may be over the top for some. If you don't like IPAs, don't waste your time or money, and at $9 a bottle it would be money well saved. You can smell the hops right away and there is some smell of alcohol. When tasted there is a flavor of great hops and some malt. I think it is a good balance since I like that type of beer. There is also a good bitterness to it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%

Jesus, this is a beer! For around $9 at Total Wine in Boca Raton the price was well worth it...

A: Pours a honey caramel color with a small head that leaves nice retention. Very viscous looking pour! Syrupy and gooey it goes into the snifter.

S: Holy shit! Soo complex...floral nose, hoppy deliciousness, sugar and caramel followed by a perfect balance of sweet malts. The amount of hops is present on the nose, but it smells more sweet than it would be bitter.

T: Holy shit!! Again, a very complex taste consisting of a variety of hops and a touch of malts accompanied by large amounts of brown sugar. The best part of this beer is the incorporation of fruits, namely strawberry, dates, raisins, and a handfull of others. It is a very very very sugary beer

MF: Soo smooth. This beer finishes with a fruity and hoppy aftertaste. Very very viscous (bigger than some stouts I've had).

D: Very high despite the 21% ABV

You know you are drinking a high quality beer when the ABV is 21% and you cannot notice the alcohol. I guess that is why the bottle cap has a Yield sign on it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

My first experience with the Dogfish Head 120 IPA... a 2009 keg at the Coppermine Pub in North Arlington, NJ.

Pours a wonderful amber-brown wooden color with a little foamy head. Perfect carbonation with some nice bubbles rising to the top.

Smell is sweet and hoppy and very intense. At over 20% alcohol, it isn't going to be timid. Hops are mixed with honey and a little citrus. But the overall dominating factor is the sugary scent.

While many others said it was just too sweet and overpowering, I happened to really enjoy it. Yes, it's intense but it's meant to be sipped. It was a treat. Plenty of sugar and hops blend very nicely for a smooth finish for such a huge beer.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%

I got two of these courtesy of two great BAs. (drseamus and nathan15) Thanks guys! I figured I would drink one now, and one later.

I heard about this beer about 3 years ago, and have always wanted to try it. I am a total hop head, but I had a feeling that at 21% ABV, that this one wouldn't be all that hoppy... let's see.

I poured this into an oversized Riedel wine glass. It poured a nice slightly cloudy orange color, with a great looking white head.

Aromas are very biting on the nose. Super charged alcoholic fruits, and some pine notes as well.

First sip... wow! If you set this in front of me, I would have never guessed this was a 21%!!! ABV beer. I would have said at least half that amount. There is a surprising light flavor to this beer. It doesn't really bog you down with huge overbearing flavors. It is big, no doubt about it. But it doesn't wack you over the head with any particular flavors. It has a sweety creamy undertone to the first sip, the beer then settles into a bitter hoppy finish, that does give you a bit of a jolt from the alcohol. But it's not overwhelming. This is a wonderful beer.

Mouthfeel is exceptional. This is so full bodied, and well crafted. The beer really coats your mouth nicely.

Drinkability? Well... one and done for sure with this beast. But this is a special beer, and I am really glad I got to try it. I was skeptical about aging this at first... (I prefer double IPAs fresh) But this isn't really a double IPA. It's really more like a super alcohol hop charged barleywine. I think the other bottle is going to sit for a while. I also think this will stay on my wants list. Well done Dogfish Head!

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%

12 oz bottle was bottled on 12/18/06, and enjoyed in May 07.
A: Love the label with photo of hop flower! Pours a cloudyish copper color with 1 finger of head.
S: Lots of hops! Grapefruity hop smell predominates. Strong malt undertones as well with hints of salt water taffy or chewy caramel candy.
T: Schnappsy, raisiny with hops at the very end, like 3 minutes after the sip.
M: Syrupy, rico suave, and tingly.
D: Too strong to have more than 1, but it's very good!

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle dated 7.22.15 poured into a pint glass
pours a beautiful orange to amber color with a thick off white head that stuck around for the duration
smell was initially fruity, very strong alcohol almost like a cognac or sherry type dessert wine. as the beer continued to warm i got some floral notes and almost a red wine smell very complex
taste sweet, very strong alcohol fruity floral and complex and again like a sherry or cognac due to the very high abv
feel thick, viscous and somewhat carbonated
this was the first time i have had this in probably 5 years and while my tastes have moved to the more hoppy side, i still found this very drinkable and enjoyable.....i left it out on the counter to warm about 45 minutes before opening and drank it very slowly
next time i will try to age it for a year or two to see how it changes

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle date: 2012A 0747. Not really sure what this means. I think it was bottled sometime in 2012, but I am not sure about the month, and therefore, not sure about how long this beer has aged.

A: A fairly aggressive pour into a standard pint glass produced about half a finger of dense head that is a light khaki color. After a few minutes the head dissipated to a thin, patchy layer. All-in-all, pretty good head retention for this level of ABV. The brew is a golden-orange with just a little haze. It is easily translucent and there are steady streams of carbonation rising to the head.

S: The aroma is a blend of pine and grapefruit citrus with some sweet malt in the mix, too.

T: There is a strong sweet malt backbone that supports and balances a bold hops blend of pepper, citrus, and pine, along with yeast flavors of bread and clove.

M: The body is just a touch to the heavier side of the medium range, and there is lively level of carbonation that seems to fit this beer well. It is also surprisingly easy drinking and smooth.

O: This is definitely a top-notch double IPA. The malt and hops are both big and bold, but, they balance each other and play-off each other well. And, the alcohol is well hidden for this level of ABV; so, it is also an easy drinking beer. It is well worth trying for hopheads and double IPA fans. This is a first class offering in the hyper competitive arena of big, hoppy beers.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- It pours a ridiculolusly clear amber into my Ithaca Excelsior tulip. It started with a nice thick and frothy, honey hued head that faded away, and left some decent legs of sticky lacing around the rim of the glass. Very effervesent for a beer of this ABV!

S- Orange blossom honey, caramel apples, ALCOHOL, tangerine, grapefruit rind, pineapple, and touches of peaches. Like walking thru a citrus grove surrounded by a pine forest while eating a Sugar Daddy that you keep dipping in Moonshine!

T- A rush of citrus, tropical fruit, pine sap, caramel apple... ... ... and then the booze kicks you right in the mouth!!! It's like being kicked in the mouth by a Donkey after doing a shot of caramel/citrus vodka! Holy Cow! I love it! It's a little abrasive, but what did you expect... it's friggin' 18%!!!

M- Sweet, citrusy, piney, and a wallop of alcohol! Really neat how it turns from sweet, to citrus, to completely mouth stripping!!! LOL! Listerine should make something this flavor! Way more carbonation than I expected!

O- This is rediculous and redonkulous!!! Bursts of caramel maltiness, tropical and citrusy fruitiness, and a shit ton of nasal passage cleansing booze!!! Glad I have some of these to put away to see how they develop over time. I had a 2007 in 2010 and it was really awesome! Really looking forward to reviewing another in a few years.

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%

Orange brown pour with very little head and perfect lacing. Scent is massive with a sweet sugar scent up front with some malts and alcohol backing. A little deeper in the scent lies some citrus and blueberries with a hint of caramel and cinnamon. The taste is ridiculous, powerful sweetness with some alcohol initially, fades into a calm sugary sweetness with citrus and malts weaving through. Mouthfeel is slightly biting, but very smooth. Drinkability is pretty high, too high in fact. A perfect example of a dangerously drinkable beer.

08 bottle reviewed. I will definitely get this again, but I will try an older bottle to see what age does to it.

My favorite thing about this beer is the mouthfeel, and because of it's strength, if you hold it in your mouth, it takes over your senses. After a few seconds it starts to crawl through your sinuses and you pick up some more depth to the scent of this beer.

Vintage 2003. 12 oz.

You can't make an Imperial IPA and just ignore hops. And, if you focus on hops, it can't just be all about the surprising citric and floral flavors you can extract from them; you've got to get bitter. And, by anyone's standards, 120 IBUS -- a practically impossible measure of bitterness to reach on a homebrew level -- is an atomic lupulin bomb. Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA, at 120 IBUs and 20% alcohol by volume, drinks like a session IPA and does everything a beer can.

The overwhelming sweetness in this oh so young beer balances out the high alcohol and intimidating bitterness (take, for example, Stone Ruination which, at the same IBUs, I twice poured down the drain). Yes, it is much like a barleywine or old ale with so much malty sweetness and notes of vin santo and sauternes, but the unctous extract serves only to make this beer palateable and nothing else. The nose is of raw, grassy hops tinged with alcohol and the finish is as leafy as any IPA. Without so much sweetness, we may likely be struggling to even swallow this beer.

Nectarous with so much residual sugar yet flavored predominantly by the hops, I think of this as I think of a good lemonade -- it has to be sweet to be drinkable, but real lemonade still tastes as fresh as the oils from the rind. Sure, I could do with a bit less sugar, but it gives it structure which is something a 20% alcohol beer needs to avoid tasting distillate. I've had several beers with half the alcohol that haven't done even half the job of masking their volatility.

As I have said before, this "Minute" hopping has done well to blur the lines between bitterness and flavor when it comes to hops. And though some might rightfully prefer the taxing bitterness of brews like Ruination, Dogfish Head shows off what American IPAs have always been great at showing off and that is the glory of the hop in all its forms.

A focus on bitterness simplifies the bud by blowing off all its flavor, while aggressive dry-hopping without much bitterness rarely makes more than a perfumey hop tea. In this beer, however, nothing is compromised.

Indeed, 120 Minute IPA is everything a single brewer can possibly achieve. Yet I suspect this is only the beginning for Dogfish Head. It is to us what Thomas Hardy Ale was to the Brits (and now is once again). The joy of malt. The joy of hops. The joy of one man and his glass.

Relax, relax.