120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,122 | Hads: 7,427
4.48/5  rDev +14.3%

WOW! I have never experienced a beer like this one before. I decided to pick up a 12oz. bottle from across the border. It was unlike anything I have tried in the past. In the glass, it resembles Amontillado sherry with carbonation that rises fast and violently. The deep amber color and a thick sticky head is an immediate turn on. The aroma is reminiscent of warm buttersctotch and honey, followed by a thick honeyed accent. On the palate, there is the immediate presence of honey, candied fruit, and malt. It finishes with a slight hop flavor of garden flowers.

This is one of the most full-bodied beers I have ever tasted. It is not ready to drink at this point, but will benefit from age. This is the Chateau Latour of beers... It may be expensive, but it will be worth the pricde in the long run... Drink at least three years from the date it is bottled... (866 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +14.3%

The beer poured out in an amber color in the snifter glass. About an inch of head graced the top of the special beer. The aroma of the beer was sweet, winey, and fruity. The aroma group made one want that to dance on there taste buds.
Now, time to taste, very sweet to the taste. As the first sip moves to my stomach, I get this warm feeling. As if the hops are telling me "everything is going to be ok." I don't feel that the Hops are overpowering in this beer. The mouthfeel was smooth not to much but juse enough that you know that this is the kind of brew that you need to respect.
As for the drinkability; if you have a good dinner one or two should just be enough for you to enjoy it. Anymore would be over kill. You don't want to be known as the guy who fell asleep as the bar. (785 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer pours a copper color with a thin white foamy head that quickly fizzles out. The nose is hoppy but not in the traditional IPA way, it is more like carmalized hops with a little heat from the high ABV. The palate come across as sweet with flavors of carmalized orages and baking spices. The high ABV starts to show through n the finish with some heat. Great beeer just not something you would drink everyday (415 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +14.3%

Dogfish Head's brewery has always been at the top of my list, but I just recently got a chance to sample their 120 minute IPA. This beer truly is the "holy grail for hopheads."

I poured mine into a tulip rimmed chalice at around 50 degrees. The color is light mahogany to oak. The initial head was frothy and thick which quickly reduced to a thin lacing around the edges to the end.

The aroma of alcohol, vinous fruit, and orange peels is only out-matched by the extreme hop presence.

Upon first taste mouthfeel is huge and the alcohol is almost too much at low temperatures. Better serve this beer around 55-58 degrees to minimize the alcohol bite and let the hops take control (let's face it that's why you wanted this beer anyways).

The taste is hoppy and full but not bitter. I think the alcohol cuts the bitterness into shreads. The twang is almost in line with a flanders style red. If you love the flemish sour ales you will absolutely love this!

The carbonation is reduced as a result of the long fermintation, but it isn't missed. The bottle variety is almost like a cask ale (without the oak overtone).

I will definately keep the other three I bought in storage for a while as these need some time to cure (probably 2 years plus). I loved it and I think in a few years I'll love it even more. I think trying a flight of these from five different years would be interesting. I would liken its current taste to a Samichlaus Helles. Enjoy this one slowly! (1,471 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +14.5%

12oz, 2003 bottling. Pours a clear amber, short lived head, large bubbles. Very pleasing aroma of fresh, pungent hops and sweetness. Taste yields sinus clearing, super sweet fruit, with mellow hops. Cherry and grape.The sensation of the alcohol is there, but is masked unbelieveably well for such a high abv. Tastes like a 13% barleywine. Solid malt evident in the finish.
Complexities arise as it warms.

I was expecting much more of an onslaught of hops from this. Instead I found less an IPA and more a kicked up barleywine, if that's possible. (550 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have had this many times both on draft and by this bottle. THis is without a doubt an extreme brew. I think of it as the port of beers. Big Alcohol and Sugary hops up front, tropical and dark fruits as it warms. Very rich mouthfeel, similar to high end BW's. Taste is toffee, maple coated hops, figs, and booze. I feel it gets even better with age. Drink this bad boy over and evening and smell and taste the wonderful change as it warms. (438 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. The beer is a murky bronze color with a dense, white foam head that retains well and leaves decent lace. It's aroma is a bright, juicy orange / tangerine note with floral hints and a resinous woody undertone. As it warms up caramel starts to poke through with cloves and a hint of acetone. It's highly citrus bittersweet that both compliments and counteracts each other (not necessarily balanced), with perhaps a touch more sweet than bitter. The beer is viscous and creamy with a soft fuzzy carbonation. The full body is woody and citrus with a pine grit and alcohol on the tongue. The finish is warm (vodka or strong bourbon) with spicy clove and woody notes and a clean, vodka-alcohol aftertaste that's dry and astringent. (760 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Stamp on bottle says 'Bottled on 02/15/13', which makes is just shy of 3 months old.

Appearance: Pours a copper/deep amber and leaves about a half finger of off-white head.

Smell: Surprisingly light smell - concentrated citrusy hops, malts, and I detect a hint of raspberry. Definitely different aromas then any beer I've had.

Taste: Matches the smell, but everything is more pronounced. Very sweet, especially for an "IPA". I still get the raspberry flavor along with the malts and citrusy hops, as well as some mild alcohol. Also some other fruit flavors including apricot, peaches and figs. The finish of this one is plenty of hops, counteracting the sweet start - very interesting and complex.

Mouth-feel: Thick and syrupy - there is definitely still some carbonation in here but not a whole lot. The alcohol is well hidden for such a monster at 18%, and it goes down pretty smooth.

Overall: A unique beer for sure. While this beer has characteristics of an IPA such as the bitter hop finish and citrus notes, it also takes notes from other styles such as the thickness and mouth-feel of an imperial stout, as well as flavor notes from several other different styles. This is definitely the sweetest IPA I have ever had, but all being said this was an extremely enjoyable drink experience and I can't recommend it enough. Obviously, this beer is one to tread carefully with, as it packs a punch. (1,451 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +14.5%

I waited for about 4 years to try this beer. Because of living arrangements, I was never in a state that carries it. I found this in Texas, and was extremely happy. The 90 minute IPA is my beer of choice. After having this, that has not changed. The biggest surprise from this beer is the sweetness. It is sweet like the Three Philosophers is sweet, with an IPA finish. Very interesting beer. Very tasty. I drank an entire 12 oz bottle to myself over a two hour period. I have three more that I am keeping for enjoyment at different times. Going to hold one for at least couple of years. (587 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Bottled on 10/10/07, so this bottle isn't particularly old.

A: Pours a hazy orange with a small, short lived head. Even an aggressive pour didn't develop much more than half a finger of head.

S: Very intensely sweet and fruity. Lots of grapefruit as well. Smells very much like a Port or Tokay wine. Perfect!

T: Not what you'd think when the bottle says Imperial IPA. Not much hoppiness, mostly malty sweetness. Very tasty!

MF: Well carbonated and smooth. Feels viscous and thick, a little syrupy.

D: Surprisingly drinkable for the extreme ABV. Of course, once you finish the 12oz bottle you can really feel it!

Bottom line, this is not what I'd call and Imperial IPA, but whatever it is I love it! (746 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Dogfish Head Snifter in honor of my new baby girl born on Tuesday September 27th @ 6:28am.

Color: A mid-light brown (honey) color.

Smell: Hoppy and an alcohol presence.

Taste: Sweet, hoppy and a bit of alcohol. The sweetness almost takes away all the alcohol I smelled. VERY GOOD!

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a nice alcohol presence.

Overall: I opened this brew in celebration of my second Daughter Ella Monika! This brew was actually sweet which I was not expecting but loved. A very hyped and brew which went above and beyond my expectations. It's a celebration! Cheers! (603 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Love this beer. Especially when aged for years. Just did a side by side tasting of an 08 vs 14. Completely different beers. The 08 was a beautiful dark amber. Time had done incredible things to it. (201 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from the tap (May 2007 release) the liquid is a light rubby with good carbonation.

The smell is both fruity sweet and quite hoppy.

The taste is very good, bets batch ever! Lots of malt beating back huge amounts of hops. This may be more like a barley wine with all the complex malt taste going on, the hops must be huge to compete the way they do.

The mouthfeel is rich and thick, with good cleansing carbonation.

The drinkability of this batch is great, Prosit MK (475 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

18% etoh! 120 IBU's! This is a beer to be enjoyed, not chugged! This is a special beer to be shared and savored like Sam Adams Utopia. The 2 are very similar except 120 is carbonated. A very heavy beer. This beer is one of my favs to start the night out with! Every year I stay at the Crosswinds Motel, right next to the Dogfish brewery/flagship store in DE, just to get my Dogfish fill! (387 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

12 ounce bottle with a bottled on date of 3/30/2006. Served in a Dogfish Head snifter, the 120 Minute IPA pours an amber/red color with a very small white head. It smells like citrus and pine hops, caramel and a bit of brandy. The taste starts off very sweet and finishes slightly bitter. I can taste hops (both pine and citrus), caramel, apricots, brandy, and some spices. The alcohol is very well hidden considering it's 21% ABV, and it does pack a punch later. Mouthfeel is full, syrupy and oily. Drinkability is good, although this is definitely a sipping beer. It's nice and smooth and easy to drink. Overall I think this is a well balanced brew. It wasn't quite what I was expecting but in this case it's a good thing. If you get the chance to try one, you should. It's a very good beer. (793 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a hazy orange copper with a two finger head that dissipates slowly and leaves but a thin coat of foam.

Nose of most evident piney hops.

Amazing taste, very complex; much like a barleywine. Alcohol is extremely well hidden.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick, coats the mouth.

Good sipping drinkability, definitely not a session beer. (347 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

I am in love, what can I say, hops juice, hoppy beer, hophead's beer, well there was enough hops in one sip to hops all of Coors Light's decade production and even if it was extreme, I did like alot. The bottle was bottled three months ago and considering the amount of hops and alcohol content, it was quite fresh.

Burgundy in color, with a foamy head that came out to say "hey" and dissapeared right away. Shy striking golden lights all around the beer, not bad.

Smell is well guess what: hoppy, did I mention hops a billion times so far. It is floral, piney, grassy, name it, I love it.

Taste is citroneus, malty, rich malted caramel flavours followed by a floral big rich hoppy flavours.

wonderfull bring, when the 240min IPA (743 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

Had the 2012 and 2014 batches on tap at The Shepherd and the Knucklehead in Haledon, NJ. Poured in a Dogfish Head goblet. Beers were similar enough that I'll use one review.

A = Crystal clear with a golden orange hue. Head was not appropriate, but faded fairly quickly (due to high alcohol content?). Decent lacing.

S = We had a hard time placing the smell. Sort of a syrupy alcohol aroma - can definitely smell the booziness of this. Another reviewer said "rum soaked bread" - that might be a good description.

T = Balanced (not just a mouthful of hops). Some of that alcohol syrup taste comes through - just a very complex balance of flavors: citrus, hops, alcohol, etc. Wow.

M = Just slightly bitter feel to it and that lingering taste that tells you that you just had a very high ABV beer.

O = A very special beer for very special occasions. Certainly will go much better on a cool Autumn or cold Winter night (yet I keep drinking them in July/August). (970 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

You need to drink this beer knowing hat it's probably close to twice as high of an ABV as your typical imperial. Knowing that, you go into it knowing that there will be an alcohol presence in every sip. I drank this one over the course of about an hour or more and by the end as it warmed it mellowed quite a bit. I enjoyed this one for sure. (345 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one of the best big beers I have ever had. It comes off very strong like a barley wine, but then you feel the tingle of the hops on your tounge. This beer was a nice amber and the foamy head stuck around and left a nice lace on the glass. The smell was blissful. The taste was a deep round big beer flavor with an aftertaste of firey hops. Before you know it you can feel your tongue going numb. I could definately drink these on a regular basis however I paid $8.99 for a 12oz bottle and it is not available where I live so lucky for me I won't be going broke any time soon. However the next time I am out and about and I run across this sucker I may buy the entire stock. I highly suggest and congrats to those who have had the opportunity to enjoy. This is definately for the experienced beer drinker. (812 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

big thanks to crwills for hooking me up with this one. anyone who goes shopping with a copy of your 'wants' list is great. thanks craig!

12oz bottle dated 12/18/06.

pours deep amber, almost red, with a half inch of dense tan head. the head drops fairly quick but leaves lots of sticky lace behind.

aroma is great. the glass is sitting on the table about 3 feet away and i can smell grapefruit and alcohol. up close the alcohol is fairly intense. tons of grapefruit and a bit of pine. burnt toffee and sweet caramel.

wow. taste is intense. blast of alchol, then sharp piney bitterness. the bitterness level actually doesn't seem too high, but that could be the high alcohol numbing my tongue and taste buds. orange and tangerine, with a nice sweetness that isn't the least bit syrupy. the alcohol is pure and clean too - no nasty fusels. sherry and port-like notes. there's some bready malt buried in there too.

mouthfeel is great. i didn't expect much carbonation from a brew this big, but it's got a nice moderate carbonation level. great body.

drinkability is suprisingly good. it's definitely more of a sipper at this strength, but damn is it good. sort of balanced. i could actually see a few more IBUs in here. good sweetness and lots of alcohol.

obviously this beer is over the top, but i'm pleasantly suprised at how good it is. the bottle says it ages well, so i'd be curious to try one that has some age on it. damn good even fresh. (1,462 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

This beer pours a clear red-orange color. The head is a half an inch in height, and recedes slowly into a quarter inch of lacing. Due to the extremely high alcohol content I was expecting the head to be minimal at best, and am very pleasantly surprised. The aroma is very hoppy with lots of pine and citrus. There is a lot of malt too, but it is soft and easily takes a back seat to the hops. The alcohol is present in the terms of adding a slight cough syrup note. It is, however, a lot more subdued than I expected, and I like that. The taste has a bite...wow. There is more malt here with an almost mead like honey character. The citrus, and pine from the aroma are present, but the malt masks the bitterness which I'm sure is in there somewhere. The mouthfeel is full bodied with appropriately low carbonation, and a silky texture. Overall, this is a very interesting beer, and huge kudos go out to DFH for dreaming it up. I certainly couldn't drink this every day, or even every month. But I'm could picture myself sipping this down two or three times a year, and thoroughly enjoying it. (1,092 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

This one is excellent when on draft and fresh. It's tough to beat, IMO. Lots going on; pine, citrus, sweetness, slight booziness, oak, strong crispness and bite ... it's very complex.

I've enjoyed it from the bottle, too, but haven't tried it that way as many times as I have on draft. One of the drawbacks, IMO, is that the bottles don't have a date on them, so it's tough to tell when they were made. I'd like to be able to distinguish them. I've tried a few bottles that had some age (1-3 years?) on them, but I didn't find them to be as memorable as the excellent drafts that I've had.

One of my favorites, but not something I could drink a ton of or regularly. For me, it's a good one to have a handful of times/year. 4.25-4.5 (though if you can get it on draft, you might be inclined to give this a full 5 stars, as I recently did on Untappd). (851 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

I loved the smell of this beer. kind of like a dessert wine or brandy. The taste was a little weaker than the alcohol but i thought was outstanding. I wouldn't drink more that one but this is definitely a beer i would spend the money for. If you like the higher abv beers than this one is a dessert beer. (304 characters)

Thanks Tim!

This poured orange with golden highlights, and a thin white head. To my eyes this was glowing. Brilliant colour.

The aroma was of huge juicy grapefruit, pineapple, mangos, kiwi's, tropical, some pine notes, a great balance of caramel from the malt. The alcohol brings out light apricot notes, and the bread like notes are very mild. The bouquet just kind of sparkles on the nose.

This is full of flavour. Complex but surprisingly balanced due to the extreme nature of this beer. Caramel up front, a good sweet quickly pushed over by a lovely hop flavour. Big american cirtus c-hops. The apricot is a nice sublet note that stays amongst most sips. It's a glass full of citrus rinds, pine needles, and a nice finishing sweetness. Beautiful.

This is a silky, full bodied beer, with low to moderate carbonation. It just fills the palate with amazing flavours and a nice finish with not too many residual sugars. Dry, but not too dry.

Very dangerous to drink, as it is beyond drinkable for the alcohol percentage.

Wow. (1,031 characters)