120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Wants: 1,022
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

This was a small 12 oz. bottle. Beer poured still and a rosy amber color and a gentle whiff of hops. Whew what a taste. It tastes like a cross between mead with its honey alcohol warmth and an IPA. Rich, thick and sweet – maybe a bit too sweet or too young. Definite tastes of melon, and raisins. It tastes like an ice wine or a good desert wine. This beer was brewed in 2003 and the label says it will age a decade but hard to believe with no sediment.

lou91, Jan 21, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

I was excited to try this beer as the availability is very limited. I was expecting more of a head upon the pour but that's not very important to me. The aroma is complex and gives hints of cinnamon, raisins, and carmel. Upon initial taste I was surprised that a slight sweetness presented itself. Overall it's a medium body beer with plenty of character that changes sip after sip. Has a long finish that's not bitter which is surprising for a 120 minute IPA. Can only have 1 or 2 in a sitting as the ABV is very high. Cheers

BackAlleyBev, Oct 18, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

12 Oz bottle sampled through the efforts of dirtylou and The No BS BIF.

First I write out my will before approaching this hop bomb.

A pour in to my Duvel Tulip gives me a new motor oil thick and colored brew. A near clear apricot colored beer with a little bit of head, which is impressive as at 21% ABV this should be able to dissolve any head.

Smell is quite sweet and surprisingly fruity to the nose more like a barley wine than a mega IPA. Lots of aroma of melons and some pine and grapefruit. This has what I would call the Dogfish Signature aroma all over it, that melon smell that DFH seems to put in all its bigger beers. Bit of spicy black pepper is noticeable mostly from all the ethanol in this beer.

Taste is very sweet with a large hit of melons, fruit and raw sugar cane in the first taste. Very sweet beer with tons of melon and fruit flavors, this just isn't one of the better Mega IPAs like Pliny The Younger or FFF Dreadnaught.

Mouthfeel is syrup.

Not a super drinkable brew here. Super sweet and thick with a high alcohol content this is decidedly inferior to the best from Three Floyds or Russian River.

Zorro, May 15, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Their 60 minute is what turned me onto craft beer and ever since I've wanted to get my hands on their 120. And now that I finally did, I can't wait to review it.

Just under a finger's worth of of ivory white head rest on top of its hazy rich copper body. I'm actually suprised any head was yielded at all. Alcohol legs coat all sides of the glass. Judging from the viscosity of the beer coming out of the bottle alone, you can tell this is going to be a big DIPA.

Coming into this, I had the preconception that juicy, fresh, and resinous hops would pour out of the glass truck loads at a time. Instead, I'm greeted with a beer that has an equal balance between rich, bready, caramel drizzled malts with an underlay of chocolatey mocha and hops that ooze out syrupy grapefruit, sappy pine, lemon peel, and alcohol soaked peaches. An aged American barleywine seems like a more suitable descriptor for the style than a DIPA but that's besides the point. As the beer warms, both the alcohol and mocha/coffee characters increase in intensity.

Slick, syrupy grapefruit and mocha sprinkled with cocoa paste themselves on every corner of the palate. Sweet alcohol follows close behind while lemon candy cuts through the middle. The finish brings out the beer's richness, packed with sweet alcohol, thick sweet bread and lemon drops.

For 18%, the feel isn't as heavy as I'd expect. It's full bodied nonetheless with a slick, syrupy feel. The alcohol is present but integrates well with the rest of the beer.

It's not what I expected but it's still tasty, well crafted beer. It's rich, it's sweet, it's syrupy and it sure is a sipper. I'll take a fresh 60 minute over this but I'm glad I tried it.

ludachris, Mar 24, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Found this one on-tap at the Church Key in DC and had to try it - not often you find an 18% beer on tap.

Overall it was tasty, if not quite as delicious as I recall it being when I had it in the bottle (or especially when I aged it). Pours an amber with a medium head, some lacing. Aromas of strong Belgian candy, fruit, caramel. Flavor is likewise - strong Belgian sugar, caramel, light tartness. Syrupy and a little granular. Peach brandy. Overall, tasty and certainly unique, but not something I'd drink all night.

soupyman10, Dec 08, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap, at Bully’s, Columbia PA.
10 oz served into a Dogfish Head Signature glass at my request. Thanks Dave and Erik.
Notes taken at bar, when served.

Pours a thick one finger head, which rapidly reduces to a thin cap, easily revived though, it is a live ale.
Surprisingly light color, medium amber at best, fine bubble carbonation.

Big malt aroma when first poured, but quickly overpowered by “crushed hops”, alcohol, citrus, lemon, dried fruit (fig?), yeast and bread. Spicy. Complex.

Very boozy, hot entry on the palate, followed by a hop “burn”. Then some light malt comes forward, only to lose to the hops in the end. Very full, oily, mouth feel.

Long finish of hop oil, not overly bitter, but coats your mouth forever.

Well I have had this before in bottle and really did not like it at all.
The draft is a much more pleasant experience by far.
Definite hop burn, but that being said the overall flavor is quite good (tasty malt and spicy hops).
You really can’t say this is a balanced ale, but still an interesting experience, and I am thankful for it.
Seems at its best warm, say 55 + degrees. Everything that this ale has comes out then, and that is quite a lot. A huge ale. ABV is 18% or better depending on the keg, and it is very noticeable. That being said it’s OK by me as I am a “big beer” fan.

JTSbeerislife, Nov 29, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

This was the very first Dogfish Head beer I tried when I first began my beer tasting hobby. It took me an hour and a half to finish, as I was not prepared for the HUGE flavor this beer packs. It turned me away from Dogfish Head for awhile. That was until someone coaxed me into trying a 90 Minute IPA. I loved it and I have tried several other DFH since then but haven't returned to the 120 Minute...until now. As it turns out the problem was my palate because, damn, this is a good beer.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Peach tan with a one finger head that dissipates into a foam halo on the beer's surface. A quick swirl of the glass brings the head right back.

Smell - Alcohol - and lots of it! At 21%ABV this is the most potent brew I have ever sampled. It certainly makes an appearance in the smell. I also smell caramel and hops. Overall, it smells very rich - a good indication of what it will taste like. The smell becomes a lot more apparent as the brew comes to room temperature.

Taste - Almost like the 90 Minute, just heavier on the sweet side and the hops side (obviously). The alcohol isn't as apparent in the flavor as much as it is in the smell and the mouthfeel. The alcohol makes its main appearance in the throat as it goes down. It has the sweet malty front taste followed by hop bitterness. It has a very balanced flavor - something I was surprised by.

Mouthfeel - Smooth. Perfect carbonation level. Oily with warming alcohol as it slides down the throat.

Drinkability - I would never be able to drink more than one of these, but if a second was offered to me...you never know. I would probably be too tipsy to refuse. The fact that you would be plastered after the second is why I gave this brew an average score on drinkability. I was pretty tipsy 3/4 of the way through it. But it went down smoother than a lot of other beers that I have sampled that were less than 21%ABV.

This beer is a hell of an experience. Perhaps the most accessible high ABV brews out there - definitely not for the faint of heart. It still takes me an hour and a half to finish one, but I appreciate every sip.

MiguelMandingo, May 29, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured a slightly hazy copper-orange color with about one finger of fluffy khaki head with decent retention.

The scent is of citrus, some subtle earthy hops, and lots of alcohol.

The taste is first of crisp dry citrus hops, notes of other fruits, and alcohol which becomes dominating as the beer goes on.

Full body, pretty smooth with low to moderate carbonation.

This was a decent beer, but I was a little disappointed. It notes that it is the holy grail for hop heads but I thought the hop presence was greatly lacking. Also, the beer becomes more and more out of balance as it goes on leaving basically just an alcohol taste toward the end.

BeerCon5, May 14, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

01.09.10, courtesy of MikeL. Danks for bringing this to SF from AZ.

A: hazy, golden; looks really rich; tight lacing, head disappears quickly

S: like wet rag, with stone fruit, probably apricots

T: like dried/candied apricots; a bit boozy upfront, with a syrupy finish

M: the syrup quality masks the carbonation and makes the finish smooth

D: very nice for something this high in ABV

Shared this with my brother and my cousin. It was their first Dogfish Head experience -- one that they enjoyed. They actually liked this more than Russian River Consecration (one of my favorites), with which I completely disagree. Never the less, good times and good drinks were had by all.

Chambic, Jan 15, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

On-tap at Hoptomic. 2009 Vintage. Pours quite still and syrupy, with an appearance not too dissimilar form Polish Mead, which, incidentally, it resembles in more ways than one. The nose offers unmitigated sweetness in suggestions ranging from golden raisins to honey or mead, but despite the high ABV, alcohol is not strongly noted. The flavor carries the aroma's torch, with an addition of a modicum of actual piney hoppiness, which is impressive given the circumstances. Mouthfeel-wise, it is silky and slick; pretty good, again, given the 18%+ circumstance. Overall, it is enjoyable, and something I would consider should I have a Utopias craving and no Utopias.

ktrillionaire, Jun 21, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

2012 Vintage bottle poured into a snifter. I've had it on 2 prior occasions but this will be my first review of it.

A- Pours like a classic DIPA: nice amber orange color with a finger's worth of head that sticks around for awhile. Some lacing along the sides of the glass.

S- Some citrus and overall sweetness in the aroma, but otherwise underwhelming.

T- Up front 120 is very sweet and almost syrupy. The hoppy bitterness is there but not as much as you'd think for 120 IBUs. The alcohol dominates the backend of the taste.

M- Thick, syrupy, bitter but not bitter enough. Drinks pretty hot.

My review might not seem like it but I do enjoy 120 minute IPA, I'm just more aware of its flaws now. The last time I had this was sometime in 2009 when I was new to craft beers. My palate has changed alot since then. 120 is nice but I feel the alcohol overpowers everything else, making it a bit unbalanced. I would like more of the hops to shine through, especially with this being a fresh bottle.

vic21234, Jul 10, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz bottle poured into my snifter and my father’s glass. Bottled 11/8/2008.

A: Pours a very deep pumpkin orange with a thin bubbly cream colored head. A thin scum and collar lasted the whole beer through and left a few spots of soapy lacing down the glass.
S: Very strong and volatile notes of solventy alcohol mixed with fruity notes of citrus fruits and berries.
T: Follows the nose. It’s pretty sweet and almost honey or nectar-like. The hops are fruity, although I wouldn’t go so far as to say citrusy. The finish is full of raisins and a bit of caramel, and the aftertaste has notes of tobacco and leather.
M: Very syrupy viscously thick body, chewy greasy mouthfeel, and tingly but soft carbonation that bubbles up in my mouth. The alcohol is there, but it’s not overwhelming with warmth.
O: I’ve never had this beer fresh, but I can’t imagine drinking something that is sweeter and hotter than this. I liked it though, and it was great to sip on. Thanks to the generous BA who sent me this.

scottfrie, Nov 20, 2011
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

The infamous 120 minute IPA definitely holds its weight, kinda thick. I love the dogfish head brewery and IPA's, so this was a must try for me, at 21% abv, I was impressed with the taste. However that being said, for the average beer drinker it is semi too much, most non beer enthusiasts will make a face if you let them try or smell it, It is a must try for all IPA lovers but ill stick with the more drinkable 60, or 90.

lbkornlb14, Jul 26, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

2011 vintage, enjoyed at AZ Wines, poured into what looks suspiciously like a 12-ounce glass. If so, I'm in for quite a night.

Dusty copper, very hazy. A thumb of frothy tan head is sticky as gum in summer, clinging to the sides in paint-thick walls.

Heavy, sugary nose. Grapefruit and orange peel, caramel, green apple, some biscuits, honey. I can tell it's sweet, but it's not as intense as I know it should be. Tricky tricky, aroma.

Bam! A sucker punch of flavor, like baked orange slices coated with sugar and torched with flame. Oranges flambé? That's what I get initially, anyway. Allow the stuff to stay in the mouth for a while and different flavors emerge — honey, toasted biscuits, white rum and floral notes among them. Something almost herbal, like basil, shows up from time to time. The finish is intensely sweet, yet toasty as well, almost like a burnt sugar cookie.

The body, as expected, is heavy and creamy, like swishing maple syrup. Moderate carbonation pinches the tongue while the alcohol adds enough heat to make you think you're drinking salsa. No getting around 18 percent ABV.

This batch of 120 Minute is the first released since Dogfish famously dumped an obscene number of gallons of the previous lot and tweaked the recipe. The adjustments paid off; this is way more drinkable and balanced than any previous iteration I’ve tried.

Phelps, Oct 04, 2011

Sampled from a 12 oz. bottle:

Three-finger creamy/foamy head sits atop a slightly opaque golden colored beer. Rings of lacing throughout sampling. Smell was strong, hoppy and earthy, particularly reminiscent of grass, or peat. Taste was spicy, vinous like a barley wine and not as hoppy or bitter as I expected. Very smooth mouthfeel. A good beer, but possibly too overwhelming in terms of flavor and mouthfeel to use as a staple beer.

tomthumbsblues, Apr 17, 2005
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

12 oz bottle. Dated 11/11. Celebrating for new years!
Poured into a snifter. A descent amount of head for the abv. 1" of solid thick tan head with tight bubbles. Nice golden color to almost golden/amber. For the high alcohol content I got a nice mount of carbonation. Thick. Syrup. Hops. Hops. Malt. Caramel. Heavy citrus. Dark fruit. Coats the tongue. Over all a must try.

HOPPYKC, Jan 02, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

A - Nice copper color when poured into my glass. Thin head that dissipates quickly and leaves decent lacing. It almost looked like syrup when it was being poured from the bottle to the glass.

S - Smell like sweet candy, caramel, pine, and grapefruit. I was hoping for a stronger hop aroma, but overall it is still pleasing.

T - A lot of pine right up front, but also a candy-like sweetness that is not often experienced. Grapefruit and a hint of orange, and then a slight bit of alcohol as it mellows into its malty finish.

M - This one has some body to it, but it is still nice and creamy.

D - This is a great beer to try once in a while or share with a fellow beer lover.

I look forward to trying this beer as fresh as possible when the next batch comes out. This one was over a year old and although I did enjoy it, it didn't really wow me as I had hoped.

StoneBrewFanatic, Jul 31, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

The local beer enthusiast store (deceptively called Liquor Loft) was kind enough to reserve me a few of the Dogfish Head beers released this winter ('07). After picking up an Olde School Barleywine, a World Wide Stout and a much sought-after 120 Minute IPA... I couldn't decide which to sample first.

Waiting a week or so, the 120 became my obvious choice, being not only the strongest but also possessing of a delightful reputation.

Pouring about half into a Delerium snifter, the head was quite faint and was paper thin. The tiny amount of head relegated itself to the edges of the glass and left a very sparse lacing. A clear but deep amber color fills the glass.

The smell was fruity and sweet, highly alcoholic but not overpowering. Notes of citrus and the hop flower's undertone.

Surprisingly, the taste hides the alcohol content remarkably. As both the hoppiest and most alcohol beer I've had to date, I expected an almost cognac/brandy alcoholic taste and mouthfeel.
The taste has an immediate impact of cidery sweet, with a caramel undertones. The aftertaste is a plethora of hoppy explosions on the palette, more like savoring a wine than drinking a beer.

The mouthfeel of this beer is powerful, the hops coating the tongue. Harsher than most beers, this also hurts the drinkability of the beer. Quite obviously, this is a sipping beer in which one serving is enough. Drinking a whole one is akin to eating a hearty sandwich.

All in all an exquisite beer I was glad to procure and delighted to enjoy. The only way to do it justice is to grab one yourself and give it a shot.

brenthaertlein, Nov 26, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

2011 vintage, poured into my Firestone Walker nonic pint.

A-Pours a hazy golden orange with a small pool of nicely retaining white head.

S-Boozy and caramelly with a gritty sort of undertone.

T-Admirably tasty considering the degree of difficulty. Boozy as all get out, but, well, it's 18% or whatever. No fusel alcohol notes or other off flavors, which is pretty amazing.

M-Oily, tongue coating, rich.

O-Great for what it is, I think. I can't, or at least won't finish this bottle as it's a hangover waiting for an invitation (and my wife wants no parts of it). But I am happy to have tried it.

HV

sholland119, Apr 12, 2012
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

I had this from a bottle, poured into a straight sided half-pint glass.

A= This ale poured a slightly hazy orange-gold-copper color with a 1/4" thin white head. The head only lasted a short while, dropped to a skim, and left just a few spots of lace.

S= The most dominant smell was of course a huge solventy alcohol. My trick is to blow softly across the glass to clear this away, and then take a good sniff. In that instance, I found an aroma profile dominated by super sweet malts, tropical fruit, and some piney hops.

T= Very sweet malt character up front lead into a middle filled with tropical fruit (mango, grapefruit, melon) and citrusy hops. Finish was all hot alcohol with a slight aftertaste of hops. Overall taste: The alcohol is once again the 800lb gorilla here, but the flavors do at least mesh well with that peppery alcohol hammer.

MF= Heavier bodied with a syrupy and slick mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation level does keep this from being too syrupy.

D= A very interesting beer here. Not something I will want to drink too often or in very high quantities (thus reducing its drinkability). It is a well crafted beer however and one that everyone should try from time to time and certainly a great candidate for aging a year (or three).

spointon, Jan 24, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Got a glass of this on tap at 38 Degrees Ale House in Alhambra.

A: Nice amber color, fairly clear complexion. Head is like sea foam in texture and manilla or butter in color. Spotted lacing with decent head retention.

S: Booze. Liquor. Right off the bat its very boozy. Faint grains, but it smells sweet, sugary with minimal hop aromas. It also has a creamy presence.

T: Booze is right at the door but it has a nice sweet finish. Subtle hops at the finish. Honestly, it tastes great. Very much like a cream soda or something. It is not really like an IPA at all. That being said, the flavors that are there, are really really good. I would almost see this more as a session ale as it definitely got better the longer I drank it and the flavors were a bit more pronounced and balanced.

M: Almost no carbonation, very strong but very smooth. I was shocked at how smooth it was considering how boozy it was. Very thick and creamy, massive body, but its really great.

O: Very good beer. I can't rate it too highly as an IPA or Double IPA or anything as it was really something unique. Certainly worth the adventure to get it. Highly recommend everyone check this out as it really is something else.

kevanb, Aug 01, 2011

Review from notes Jan 28 2010

Poured a clear honey amber with a nice white head. Very sweet, citrusy, with a hint of pine resin. Lots of caramel and alcohol as well. Lots of bitterness in the finish and maybe a hint of cognac too. Hops linger long after the finish. Medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Drinkability is good for the amount of alcohol given.

DmanGTR, Feb 20, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Full amber with quickly diminishing head. Noticeably thick with hop resin. Smells a little like soy sauce and lemon. Comes across peppery with a dull bitterness upfront before spreading out into soy, heavy caramel, earthy and green hop resinous hops. Turns a little nutty and tartly acidic on the backside ending in very spicy alcohol. Remarkably tame for 21% abv though. Body is immensely viscous, though surprisingly not nearly to the level i expected. Carbonation is low but appropriate. Drinkability is what it is, but very good for 21%, and this is not at all cloying as i'd feared it would be.

Definitely an extreme beer, but a balanced one.

numenor1, Aug 13, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

12 oz. bottle dated 2003. The last beer of our february MCD meeting. we saved it until the end because we didn't want to be totally smashed while we were tasting everything else. Poured reddish brown with a small white head. looks fine. Mild hop smell. smells sweet, too, like cane sugar. Taste is sweet, alcohol tasting. syrupy sweet hop flavor. thick consistency, like a hoppy brandy. Oh man, i dont know if i could drink even a whole bottle by myself. too much alcohol. it hit me fast, too. but other than that, pretty good. 60 and 90 are better.

aforbes10, Feb 22, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

i finally cracked this one open last night and poured it into my duvel tulip. It had a nice golden color with a 1\2 in white head that left some lacing on the side of the glass. As soon as you cracked open the bottle you immediatley smell the hops with the alcohol. This becomes even more evident once you pour it into the glass. the first thing that came to my palate was hops,hops, and more hops and then take a guess what was next...the alcohol..once this beer warms it becomes a nice sipper that i might just sit back and relax with. Be careful who you let sample this because if they don't know what's coming it may just destroy them

thetachibro, Dec 21, 2005