120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,144 | Hads: 7,516
4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a beautiful hazy honey color with a nice taut head that fades to a ring.

This beer has a delectable nose of caramel, orange peel, a slight hop spiciness, and some brandyish boozy smell.

This is a sweet treat with a long finish. Just as much a treat for malt heads as hop heads, and probably more so. Very sweet, perfect for an after dinner quaffer.
Spicy with hops and coriander up front, then a long, long malt bomb with very nuanced flavors of dried apricots and cherries, spice, and honey. This is followed by a long finish of honey spiked piney hops. Delicious now, but this would be absolutely extraordinary with some serious age on it. There is the slightest soy note that dissipates as it breathes.

The mouthfeel is very thick and rich with good carbonation throughout, something that I miss dearly in certain other over the top abv brews.

Drinkability is very good for its style- and after dinner sipper that is quite addictive.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Behold, the infamous Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA. The mighty King of the Pale Ale.
As we all love to talk about our big beers, there is one that shall always be mentioned as the biggest, the hoppiest, and the all around scarriest. This is it.
I poured mine into a pilsner glass, just because I don't want to waste anything. The colour, not quite what I expected from a real live monster, was a hazy golden amber. The head was moderate and released a ton of fantastic aromas.
Sweet lemon with a warming alcohol nose.
The taste was super sweet with a giant citric flavor as well. The alcohol bit was more of a warming than anything. It was actually quite nice.
This is something you can get lost in. It doesn't seem like such a big beer, but it is.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

2011 poured into a chalice.

A - Burnt orange / slightly brownish / amber earthy tones. About a half inch of head that fades very fast leaving slight lace on the chalice. Nice caution sign logo on the cap.

S - Smells strongly of hops, alcohol, and honey primarily. A lot of malt is there and some fruits are present as well such as raisins and honeydew.

T - The hops are definitely there...I mean "continually hopped over a 120 minute boil" and "dry-hopped everyday for a month"...you're going to taste hops. Surprisingly, I had much hoppier beers...I don't want to say the hops are weak, but there are many other things I taste in the forefront aside from hops such as ALCOHOL and honey. At 18% abv., no amount of hops will defeat the alcohol. Some other minute flavors as well such as the aforementioned fruits.

M - Again, surprisingly for what I would consider a triple ipa (even though it says double), there are pretty much no hops in the aftertaste...they barely linger whatsoever. The honey and fruit sweetness, however, are what tarry in the mouth. The alcohol lasts as well.

O - This is a fantastic beer. Well worth the price and the wait. As far as what everyone says..."it does not at all resemble 60 or 90 minute"...pretty true. Surprsingly this beer is much less hop-forward than even the 60 minute, never mind the 90 minute, and it is also much sweeter and has way more of a noticeable alcohol character. I have also heard about as many positive reviews as I have negative. I have a feeling that many of the negative reviews are due to the fact that most expect it to be a hop-bomb that completely blows away 90 minute ipa...this is far from the case, but it is definitely a great beer that it worthy of the hype...I just wish it was easier to access. If I had to compare this to another beer in terms of similarities...none really come to mind, but this beer is more similar to a Belgian Tripel or even a Barleywine (sweeter styles)...definitely not comparable to any other DIPAs. This beer is closer to mead than a DIPA in my opinion.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Copper, hazy, with a small white head

S: Sweet, Resiny, Caramel

T: Alcohol burn, sweet honey, melon, very little bitterness

M: Heavy with a little carbonation

O: Lots and lots of flavor, alcohol burn stays with you without being overbearing, sweet

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Notes: 750ml corked and caged bottle, aged for about a month and a half at cellar temperature. 20%+ABV.

Exceptional! This beer was truly exceptional. This beer poured a dark yellow, orange colour with a nice fluffy white head, that was suprisingly large for a beer with this high of an ABV. The aromas were very complex, port like, syrupy, very fruity, a bit hoppy, boozy, heavily malty, and very sweet and dry. This beer tasted exactly how it smelled, it went down with a warming alcoholic flavor that was mixed in among the other complex flavors noted above. This beer was very similar to the De Dolle Brouers Still Nacht, but it was not as extreme, despite its 20%ABV. The mouthfeel was thick, but not cloying, and the drinkability was very good as well. I split a bottle of this with my friend as well as a bottle of the 90 minute IPA and we were warm for most of the evening. Although next time I will keep the 120 to myself. Sure it is very high alcohol and $17 a bottle (by me) but I could polish off a whole 750 of this puppy, and the next time I get this, I will do just that!

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Got this a month ago, bottled 2011, and excited to try it out!

Appearance is lovely, slightly dark gold and clear with decent carbonation.

Smell is filled with alcohol, caramel and balanced hops.

Taste is amazing. Well balanced hop at the beginning followed by an overflow of bitter caramel and hops. It leaves after an entirely fully-bodied experience with a spicy and slightly drying bitter flavor.

All in all, this is an extremely well balanced and intense beer. I would love to have it again if it weren't sold out!

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

A - Deep amber color in the bottle, but I accidentally shook it up, and now it is cloudy, in the bottle. Pours with a inch high head, and laces very nicely.

S - Strong grapefruit, peaches, pears, almonds, caramel sweetness, plums, grapes, and a bunch of solvent-ish alcohol, dominate the nose. Really an over overwhelmingly aromatic aroma that puts a lot of DIPAS to shame.

T - The aromas transfer to the taste, but are melded into a cloyingly sweet taste, of thick, pungent fruitiness. All of it is good, but then it turns into an alcohol flavor bomb that lets you know that this is no beer to mess around with.

M Heavy, thick, and sweet to start then warms as the alcohol comes out, and lightens. Leaves a caramel-ish residue on the tongue.

D - Let this beast of a delight age.... for a while. Granted you'll loose the hop flavors, but man alive this beer is good. Sam, your one of the best.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

I have yet to experience the 2011 latest batch of 120 but have been meaning to record these notes from my April 2011 encounter with a 2009 Vintage on tap from Downtown Bar and Grill in Brooklyn, NY.

My first and only time trying the highly anticipated 120 and a dense and cloudy peach orange nectar color filled the glass with little to no head. A vast aroma of caramel, deep roasted sugar and fruit fills the nose. On the palate, a solid earthy sweet peach and orange nectar citrus taste invades the palate with a remarkably smooth and deceptive abv. Alcohol is instantly warming. Dry and sticky herbal exotic fruit sweetness in the finish leaves you wanting a next sip...Five 8 oz. servings after my first sip, I left the bar realizing that I had just had my ass whooped by the smoothest, suavest, nuclear hop bomb of my beer drinking life...

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Color: Amber color, very nice head with good lacing
Aroma: Floral, strong alcohol and orange peel
Taste: Very sweet, tastes like it was brewed with a lot of sugar, not as much bitterness as I would have though. Tastes of candied orange, lemon and lime with a strong alcohol flavor.
Finish: Sweetness lingers for quite awhile; a touch of bitterness after a minute.
Mouthfeel: Light bubbly carbonation and surprisingly light body. Being as strong as it is I would think it would be syrupy, but its not.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Bottle is less than one month old from the store.

Pours a hazy amber color. Slightly off white head that goes away quickly.

Smell is a little boozy and malty with the citrus in the background.

Sweet malty IPA with a citrus flavor on the back end. Alcohol overpowers the finish.

A very interesting beer. If I were able to get more, I would be interested to see what age would do to it, if it would kill the hops or just smooth out the alcohol.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Bottle was dated 11/6/08.

Pours into a goblet a golden orange with small head that is quickly gone. Minimal lacing.

Smells like a marker to me. Boozy, rubbing alcohol, bit of hops. The empty bottle smells like one gigantic hop.

Sweet, caramel, warm alcohol. Complex malt and hops. Wine like complexity to this beer.

Feels like honey on the palate. Outstanding carbonation feel on the tongue. Velvety smooth and full bodied. Warming sensation all the way down.

Definitely a sipper with this kind of ABV. I didn't think it was 21%. I guessed 15% when drinking it. I would like to age a bottle or two of this. Have to try this once in your life.

*Update 2/24/15: (1/14/15 bottle date)
After several years since first having this, I had to update. The nose is full of incredible hop cone goodness. Huge citrus and fruity hops. The taste is like a Hopslam on steroids. It has the honey sweetness like said beer with huge hop presence that lacks strong bitterness. Their is a strong phenolic alcohol presence that could use some age to mellow it, but hey, this is 18%. Overall, a great beer that I thoroughly enjoy.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Here it is my favorite beer and my first review....

A - Deep cloudy golden orange color with a small off white head

S - Hops, sweet molasses, hops, fruit, and hops

T - Warm sweet bourbon, strong hops with a caramel malt very well balanced

M - Thick, creamy and warm

D - YES! With the 20% abv you need to take your time with this one, and that is the key to enjoyment, "ONE" at a time.

I had this on several occasions now. First time I purchased it at Union Jacks while I was there for the Easter Hop Fest 2008. My next experience was at DFH Brewery Tour and again at the DFH Restaurant, 7/2008. I am now holding a 4 pack for future consumption. Overall I would have to say it is "The Great One" of IPA's.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Slightly hazy cider orange body with a thin layer of off-white head despite a fairly aggressive pour; decent lacing. Fine aromas--some hops but certainly not overbearing for a DIPA, or a strong IPA for that matter. The smell is also malty, vinous, and like rum liqueur.

Good taste, lots of fruit especially grapefruit, orange, and pineapple. It's really delicious but boozy, with occasional flashes of hot alcohol. But it's also on the whole quite smooth and viscous. Very delicious, but not a quaffer. The 21% alcohol is for real and one must be wary. Thankfully, 120 easily maintains its flavor when sipped periodically and set down for a breather, which I'd recommend.

Terrific beer, a DIPA liqueur really, and one I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Very unique and, though expensive, well worth enjoying one and cellaring a couple, if one can afford it.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter at home. Aged approximately one year.

Brilliant amber coloring, relatively thin head that dissipates after a short while. Smells of very sharp citrus and pineapple hops. Some honey and candy scents as well. Extremely sweet on the palate, huge alcohol hits immediately (think schnapps). Lots of honey and peach flavors at first, with caramel and candy, followed closely by the huge citrus hop kick. Not overwhelmingly hoppy as would have expected, much more dominant malt sweetness, but still the hops resonate. This beer is every flavor of a great IPA amplified by 10. Alcohol warms the throat and stomach. The mouthfeel is all syrup and slick. Drinkability? Considering the 21%, very. But one bottle is plenty, or better yet, to split with an appreciative (beer-worthy) drinking buddy. A nice, warming dessert beer.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

already reviewed this one once, but this time i had a one year old aged 120 minute. untill now, i wasn't sure that an iipa could age so well, but the malt profile and the hop profile had both remained outstanding, yet blended ever so sweetly and even become more distinct at the same time. the alcohol was barely noticeable, and the body was top top notch. i'll check back in on this one next year. a real treat.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

Got this in a trade with Soulfly967 in Pennsylvania. Aroma is strong, hoppy, and surprisingly fruity - the orange and hop aromas battle for dominance, so one whiff is hoppy while the next is of orange. It pours a hazy orange-amber with a fairly thick and rather persistent white head. Flavor is richly orange and a little sweet with a firm hoppy but only slightly bitter hop undertone. This is quite unlike any IPA I have ever had - well worth the effort of setting up a trade! Texture is rich and silky smooth, yet fairly tingly and lively.

4.51/5  rDev +14.2%

Seems like finding this beer is like finding the lost city of Atlantis. It ranks in my top 5 without a doubt. It pours a gorgeous deep amber and has a hoppy nose. A bit heavy on the mouthfeel and a bit of a heavy finish, albiet a plesant one. Very hoppy, in the tradition of true ipas

4.51/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

8oz pour into a snifter. It's a boozy IPA in the vein of Founders' Devil Dancer. A ton of smooth alcohol with heat and hops, but not the slap-you-in-the-face hops a lot of IPA's strive for (and I distaste). Delicious.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a clearish orange color with a thin white head.

S - honestly it doesn't have a great smell. I mean it's a lot of hops but not complex.

T - taste is great. Very very hoppy and fades to a sweet balance of malt. Very harvesty tasting.

M - heavy bodied and medium carbonation.

O - very good tasting. Very powerful. Glad I got it on tap

4.51/5  rDev +14.2%

120 pours a dark hazy cooper color with little head. This beer smells like a plant, very hoppy. The taste is very hoppy with a nice dogfish head like malty background. I thought it was easy to drink butthe alchool sneaks up. overall a very good beer.

4.51/5  rDev +14.2%

This beer has intense layers of flavors from sweet to citrus to malty bitterness. After a few sips the bitterness of the hops gives way to the more complex flavors. At 15% ABV it packs a punch: It hangs pretty heavy in the mouth and has more alcohol burn that I expected. It is something even an experienced beer drinker may want to work up to. And this is not to be taken lightly.

4.52/5  rDev +14.4%

Wow!!! what a sharp beer. Just like all the rest it simply explodes in your mouth. Last time I reviewed this ale, I judged it out of ignorance. Today, I judge it from the experience of the 60,90 minute. Awesome, this beer should be brewed year round, just an awesome experience, it is like putting dynamite in your mouth with flavor. You have to drink it in sips, to truly enjoy it. Thanks to VwCraig for the trade, I absolutely have to get more of this ale. The smell of absolute pure hops. It sort of stings your nose. For the alcohol in this beer, you sure can't tell. It is sweet with a sting.

My last review was simply not on the mark, I called it horseradish. I stand corrected and I sincerely apologize to the brew makers of this ale. I want to keep this review g rated, but I have to state, this beer is orgasmic.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving type: bottle dated 3/27/14

A - Golden/Ruby colored with little to no head. Gorgeous color

S - Booze, vanilla, caramel, dried fruit, and a hint of oak. There's no denying this beer's similarity to a barleywine.

T - A warm booziness follows a strong dried fruit note which is further followed by a keen lingering bitterness and alcohol burn. This—and the warming buzziness that comes along with it—is the only hint at just how strong this beer is. It's incredibly well balanced.

M - Thick and lingering. Think of half and half vs. non fat milk

O - An extraordinary beer from our friends at Dogfish. It really is remarkable just how much care and passion goes into this little bottle. Honestly, I would rate this in the top ten beers that I've ever had the pleasure of tasting and a world-class beer that truly stands on it's own. I'm still not sure if I'd call this an IPA or even a triple IPA. It's more of a cross between a double IPA and an american barley wine. I'm glad that I finally had the chance to try this fresh. I've been cellaring a couple of bottles for over a year. Looks like it's time for a vertical tasting!

4.52/5  rDev +14.4%

A: Very hazy dark amber, almost copper color with a thin and quickly dissipating off-white head.

S: Loads of caramel with milk chocolate, and just a hint of piney hops.

T: incredibly sweet and caramelly. Very mild and floral hops, not aggressive at all on the hops. Only mild bitterness.

M: one of the thickest, most viscous "IPAish" beers you'll ever drink. Very chewy, with a heavy warming effect, but not an alcohol burn.

O: A memorable beer. I'm glad they serve it in 12 oz bottles because you couldn't drink too much of it--but this definitely warms you on a winter night similar to a heavy stout.

4.52/5  rDev +14.4%

A - pours a very golden body thin-ish head which i would have liked to stay longer

S - sweet oh so sweet maly very hopy piney booze on the back end

t - malty hops oh loads of hops caramel

m - syrupy low in carbontion

O - awesome this beer is really too drinkable for its abv

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery