120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,131 | Reviews: 2,126
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow! I expected this brew to be somewhat overwhelming, but it was smooth and delicious. I certainly could taste plenty of alcohol (Especially towards the end), but not much more than some much lower ABV beers. Lots of hops, and a great malt backbone. Overall balance leans to the malt, as expected. Appearance similar to other IPA's, and it (amazingly) had some head and lacing! I was feeling a little under the weather, so I broke this out (I've had it for a while). It has taken about three years for my palate to adjust to some of the truly over-the-top brews, but this was a real pleasure to drink. I hope I can find it again.

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

I finally got around to reviewing this.

Pours a dark copper, with very little lacing and no head.

Smells of alchohol first, then citrus. Hops are so strong, that the alchohol masks the aroma.

Tastes, very sweet, syrupy. More of a barleywine IMHO. Alchohol overload.

Now I am a huge DFH fan, the 60 and 90 are two of my favorite brews. This is a once in a while, sipping brew, but could not be drank very often. Tends to kill your palate a bit, but I do enjoy it more than most people.

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

poured into a wine glass.

A: Caramel in color and as expected based on the abv, very little head.

S: Floral hops out the wazoo, caramel and alcohol.

T: Sweet caramel, sweet floral hops, dark fruit - possibly apple, rasins and apricot with a bitter dry hop alcohol finish.

M: Thick and nearly syrup-like, little to no carbonation.

D: This is definitely a sipper, to be enjoyed as you would enjoy a brandy or similar wine-type drink. Similar to a good Port or cognac.

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

Moderate head, sinks down to a thin layer across the surface, the lacing very sticky, thicker than mere streaks. Equally thick, cloudy orange haze to the liquid, more yellow gold around the rims. Heavy nose of glazed apricots, peaches and pineapple, this even beats down the sweet pink grapefruit, tangelo citrus, finds room for pine sap and a light dusting of cocoa too, smells like a "dessert" beer. Full-bodied, spicy, hot and boozy entering the mouth. Tiny fizz for carbonation, nowhere what's needed to cut through the abundant flesh of the apricot, peach, nectarine, pineapple, mango fruit. Oodles of pink grapefruit, tangerine, lime pulp. Shovels in molasses, honey and pine sap, relentlessly homogeneous and exaggerated. Not a lot more to be additionally said after the first few sips.

12 oz bottle poured into snifter glass

A: A hazy golden-amber color with almost no head and no lacing, but due to the alcohol content I was kind of expecting this

S: A very sweet maltiness, with some citrusy/piney hops and alcohol. Kind of smells like Pine-sol, but in a sort of pleasant way. This has a very strong aroma

T: Sweetness, tastes of honey and raisins, along with a grapefruit/pine hop flavor. The hops are not as prevalant as expected, this is kind of odd for an IPA, I was expecting more as far as bitterness, but this is a much sweeter beer. Also quite a bit of an alcohol aftertaste, probably due to the 18% abv of this monster of a beer.

M: A very full mouthfeel, with a bit of stickiness that lingers in the mouth after swallowing because of the sweetness. Also, a bit of alcohol warmth that lingers.

D: This is definitely a sipping beer. This is quite a bit of a challenge to finish, but its quite enjoyable. I definitely could not drink more than one of these

Overall, this is a good beer, but it is not easy to drink, and its a lot sweeter than I would expect for an IPA. I may pick this up again, but I'm not really sure

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

12oz bottle shared with my gf. poured into a snifter.

a - pours a hazy amber color with a thin film of off white head. spotty lacing in the glass.

s - toasted bread, grapefruit, pine resin, faint astringency.

t - more of the nose, really. toasted bread malt character with notes of citrus, honey and pine resin. very boozy. in fact, the bitterness seems to come entirely from the alcohol content rather than hops.

m - full bodied, prevalent alcohol burn, finer co2 profile.

o - much better than i was expecting given some of the things i have read/heard. definitely a slow sipper, and i doubt i could do a whole bottle of this by myself. not something i would drink often, but i'm glad i got to try it.

Bottled in 5/2014:
Pours a translucent orange, with a small amout of soapy bubbles that fade quickly, leaving some along the edges. A swirl does bring the carbonation to the top for a second. Little to no lacing, but some alcohol legs. I must say here, let this beer come to temp, because the head look and retention was much better when I poured the remaining 2 oz into my snifter.

The nose when the beer is still a little cold, I get a nice whiff of alcohol backed by a light caramel maltiness, with some papaya and melon, a little blackberry and/or prune, even a hint of date. I must repeat, however, that the alcohol is easily the most noticeable.

The taste does a better job of hiding the alcohol (at temp). The beer is pretty sweet, starting off like a creamsicle with orange and a surprisingly smooth feel. The alcohol burn starts to grow, and I start to get canteloupe and then some sweet dark fruit (think fig newton). If I swig the beer quickly a get a tart berry flavor that I do not get if I leave the beer on my tongue to savor it. The alcohol grows throughout the taste, leaving a nice light burning tingle on the tongue after the beer has headed down the throat.

I was hoping for more from this beer, mainly hoping the alcohol were a little more hidden, and also that the sweetness would be cut a little more at some point in the taste. There are some very interesting flavors in there, and I get different things at different times. Have one of these to age as well, wonder if a "mellowed" version of this will give me more if what I am seeking.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

12 fl. oz. bottle, $9.99 + Deposit at Marty's Fine Wines of Newton in Newton, Massachusetts.

"Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA The Imperial India Pale Ale"
AGES WELL Brewed in 03.

"What you have here is the holy grail for hopheads. This beer is continually hopped for over a 120 minute boil and then dry-hopped every day for a month. Enjoy now or age for a decade or so."

Holy grail is quite fitting, as this beer has reached legandary stature, and for very good reason. The first time I tried this was at Charlie's Kitchen at a Dogfish Head tasting and Sam brought a mini keg, it was unbelievable.

This bottle poured a mellow, Fall brown with minimal head. Smells very sweet and hoppy, with a hints of alcohol as well. Tastes strongly of alcohol and hops. It's very sweet and smooth and goes down all too easily for something that is 20% alcohol. Needless to say drinkability is quite low on this one, well it is if you wish to avoid becoming comatose that is.

Great beer, everyone, not only hopheads, needs to try this monster at least once in their lives..

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

An impressive murky gold/orange pour. Very large white head. Aroma is powerful hops with some underlying citrus, grass and some sugar. Flavor is completely dominated by that sweetness. Syrupy honey, molasses and raisin. Not much citrus. Sticky/chewy mouthfeel in the heavy medium body. The hops really struggle to balance this out and pretty much can not do it. Does not finish nearly as sticky as it starts, is fairly clean. I actually liked this because it was nothing like an IPA, but if that's what you're looking for, this will not be for you. Definetely closer to an English Barleywine.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

This was a small 12 oz. bottle. Beer poured still and a rosy amber color and a gentle whiff of hops. Whew what a taste. It tastes like a cross between mead with its honey alcohol warmth and an IPA. Rich, thick and sweet – maybe a bit too sweet or too young. Definite tastes of melon, and raisins. It tastes like an ice wine or a good desert wine. This beer was brewed in 2003 and the label says it will age a decade but hard to believe with no sediment.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Their 60 minute is what turned me onto craft beer and ever since I've wanted to get my hands on their 120. And now that I finally did, I can't wait to review it.

Just under a finger's worth of of ivory white head rest on top of its hazy rich copper body. I'm actually suprised any head was yielded at all. Alcohol legs coat all sides of the glass. Judging from the viscosity of the beer coming out of the bottle alone, you can tell this is going to be a big DIPA.

Coming into this, I had the preconception that juicy, fresh, and resinous hops would pour out of the glass truck loads at a time. Instead, I'm greeted with a beer that has an equal balance between rich, bready, caramel drizzled malts with an underlay of chocolatey mocha and hops that ooze out syrupy grapefruit, sappy pine, lemon peel, and alcohol soaked peaches. An aged American barleywine seems like a more suitable descriptor for the style than a DIPA but that's besides the point. As the beer warms, both the alcohol and mocha/coffee characters increase in intensity.

Slick, syrupy grapefruit and mocha sprinkled with cocoa paste themselves on every corner of the palate. Sweet alcohol follows close behind while lemon candy cuts through the middle. The finish brings out the beer's richness, packed with sweet alcohol, thick sweet bread and lemon drops.

For 18%, the feel isn't as heavy as I'd expect. It's full bodied nonetheless with a slick, syrupy feel. The alcohol is present but integrates well with the rest of the beer.

It's not what I expected but it's still tasty, well crafted beer. It's rich, it's sweet, it's syrupy and it sure is a sipper. I'll take a fresh 60 minute over this but I'm glad I tried it.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Found this one on-tap at the Church Key in DC and had to try it - not often you find an 18% beer on tap.

Overall it was tasty, if not quite as delicious as I recall it being when I had it in the bottle (or especially when I aged it). Pours an amber with a medium head, some lacing. Aromas of strong Belgian candy, fruit, caramel. Flavor is likewise - strong Belgian sugar, caramel, light tartness. Syrupy and a little granular. Peach brandy. Overall, tasty and certainly unique, but not something I'd drink all night.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured a slightly hazy copper-orange color with about one finger of fluffy khaki head with decent retention.

The scent is of citrus, some subtle earthy hops, and lots of alcohol.

The taste is first of crisp dry citrus hops, notes of other fruits, and alcohol which becomes dominating as the beer goes on.

Full body, pretty smooth with low to moderate carbonation.

This was a decent beer, but I was a little disappointed. It notes that it is the holy grail for hop heads but I thought the hop presence was greatly lacking. Also, the beer becomes more and more out of balance as it goes on leaving basically just an alcohol taste toward the end.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

2012 Vintage bottle poured into a snifter. I've had it on 2 prior occasions but this will be my first review of it.

A- Pours like a classic DIPA: nice amber orange color with a finger's worth of head that sticks around for awhile. Some lacing along the sides of the glass.

S- Some citrus and overall sweetness in the aroma, but otherwise underwhelming.

T- Up front 120 is very sweet and almost syrupy. The hoppy bitterness is there but not as much as you'd think for 120 IBUs. The alcohol dominates the backend of the taste.

M- Thick, syrupy, bitter but not bitter enough. Drinks pretty hot.

My review might not seem like it but I do enjoy 120 minute IPA, I'm just more aware of its flaws now. The last time I had this was sometime in 2009 when I was new to craft beers. My palate has changed alot since then. 120 is nice but I feel the alcohol overpowers everything else, making it a bit unbalanced. I would like more of the hops to shine through, especially with this being a fresh bottle.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

12oz bottle poured into my snifter and my father’s glass. Bottled 11/8/2008.

A: Pours a very deep pumpkin orange with a thin bubbly cream colored head. A thin scum and collar lasted the whole beer through and left a few spots of soapy lacing down the glass.
S: Very strong and volatile notes of solventy alcohol mixed with fruity notes of citrus fruits and berries.
T: Follows the nose. It’s pretty sweet and almost honey or nectar-like. The hops are fruity, although I wouldn’t go so far as to say citrusy. The finish is full of raisins and a bit of caramel, and the aftertaste has notes of tobacco and leather.
M: Very syrupy viscously thick body, chewy greasy mouthfeel, and tingly but soft carbonation that bubbles up in my mouth. The alcohol is there, but it’s not overwhelming with warmth.
O: I’ve never had this beer fresh, but I can’t imagine drinking something that is sweeter and hotter than this. I liked it though, and it was great to sip on. Thanks to the generous BA who sent me this.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle aged exactly 1 year (5-1-09). Pours very dark amber, lots of carbonation bubbles, there's actually a 1-finger head! And it stays good the whole time while leaving nice lacing. Very surprising for the alcohol content. Color of the head is off-white, somewhat yellow almost. Some dusty sediment as well. Booze is quite up-front in the nose, also getting hops and grapefruit. Taste is better than I thought it would be, first thing I notice is the alcohol is very well-hidden (I think this batch was 21%). It's there, but I would've guessed 12 or 13%. Malts are definitely overpowering the hops. It is very sweet, but not overly so. The main tastes I can get are grapefruit, vanilla, it has a liquor-like presence, almost like thick scotch or rum. Bready and boozy in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is good overall, but the syrupy-ness, sweetness and booze starts to get to you after a while. Drinkability is obviously low, for those reasons, who would drink 2 of these anyway? I've never had this fresh but I'd say age did this beer some good. I liked it much more than I thought it would. If I see an '08 around maybe I'll pick it up, I'd like to see what this beer is like after "a decade or so" like on the label.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

2011 vintage, enjoyed at AZ Wines, poured into what looks suspiciously like a 12-ounce glass. If so, I'm in for quite a night.

Dusty copper, very hazy. A thumb of frothy tan head is sticky as gum in summer, clinging to the sides in paint-thick walls.

Heavy, sugary nose. Grapefruit and orange peel, caramel, green apple, some biscuits, honey. I can tell it's sweet, but it's not as intense as I know it should be. Tricky tricky, aroma.

Bam! A sucker punch of flavor, like baked orange slices coated with sugar and torched with flame. Oranges flambé? That's what I get initially, anyway. Allow the stuff to stay in the mouth for a while and different flavors emerge — honey, toasted biscuits, white rum and floral notes among them. Something almost herbal, like basil, shows up from time to time. The finish is intensely sweet, yet toasty as well, almost like a burnt sugar cookie.

The body, as expected, is heavy and creamy, like swishing maple syrup. Moderate carbonation pinches the tongue while the alcohol adds enough heat to make you think you're drinking salsa. No getting around 18 percent ABV.

This batch of 120 Minute is the first released since Dogfish famously dumped an obscene number of gallons of the previous lot and tweaked the recipe. The adjustments paid off; this is way more drinkable and balanced than any previous iteration I’ve tried.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

12 oz bottle. Dated 11/11. Celebrating for new years!
Poured into a snifter. A descent amount of head for the abv. 1" of solid thick tan head with tight bubbles. Nice golden color to almost golden/amber. For the high alcohol content I got a nice mount of carbonation. Thick. Syrup. Hops. Hops. Malt. Caramel. Heavy citrus. Dark fruit. Coats the tongue. Over all a must try.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Fresh out of the case - 2011 bottling. Have had it aged before...let's just see. Poured into my scaldis goblet.

Pours a filtered, bright amber hue.

Subtle nose...frankly, hardly anything there! Cleared my throat and blew my nose...still not much! If anything, I'm getting some rock candy sweetness...but this is interesting.

First sip...good lord. How massive, how sumptuous, how utterly balanced - how does Sam do it? The hop presence coats my mouth but the massive amount of malt eases everything in so much I don't notice the absurd ABV. Wow.

Huge body - comparable to a milkshake.

Here's the kicker - the finish sits everywhere. Top to mid to back palate all at the same time...I'm so impressed. It lingers for minutes, but not astringently...just sweet, balanced pineapple and tropical fruit with a huge dose of sugar.

Age it or not, this beer is one in a million. Odd how the nose doesn't stand out...but it absolutely melts in your mouth. World class - and another pioneering brew from Sam and the good folks at DFH.

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%

Appearance: Poured from the bottom of the keg, with a huge stiff head that lasted to the bottom of the glass. Copper color, very nice looking beer.

Smell: sweet, floral hops, and a good bit of alcohol.

Taste: much like the smell, but stronger. This is an intense beer! sweeter than I think I'd prefer, but well worth seeking out.

Mouthfeel: slightly syrupy, this was a low-point.

Drinkability: found myself wishing I'd gotten more beer and less head from the pour, but it was complimentary so no complaints! That said, the huge alcohol content limits drinkability.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery