120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,340 | Reviews: 2,195
4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Bottle was dated 11/6/08.

Pours into a goblet a golden orange with small head that is quickly gone. Minimal lacing.

Smells like a marker to me. Boozy, rubbing alcohol, bit of hops. The empty bottle smells like one gigantic hop.

Sweet, caramel, warm alcohol. Complex malt and hops. Wine like complexity to this beer.

Feels like honey on the palate. Outstanding carbonation feel on the tongue. Velvety smooth and full bodied. Warming sensation all the way down.

Definitely a sipper with this kind of ABV. I didn't think it was 21%. I guessed 15% when drinking it. I would like to age a bottle or two of this. Have to try this once in your life.

*Update 2/24/15: (1/14/15 bottle date)
After several years since first having this, I had to update. The nose is full of incredible hop cone goodness. Huge citrus and fruity hops. The taste is like a Hopslam on steroids. It has the honey sweetness like said beer with huge hop presence that lacks strong bitterness. Their is a strong phenolic alcohol presence that could use some age to mellow it, but hey, this is 18%. Overall, a great beer that I thoroughly enjoy.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Here it is my favorite beer and my first review....

A - Deep cloudy golden orange color with a small off white head

S - Hops, sweet molasses, hops, fruit, and hops

T - Warm sweet bourbon, strong hops with a caramel malt very well balanced

M - Thick, creamy and warm

D - YES! With the 20% abv you need to take your time with this one, and that is the key to enjoyment, "ONE" at a time.

I had this on several occasions now. First time I purchased it at Union Jacks while I was there for the Easter Hop Fest 2008. My next experience was at DFH Brewery Tour and again at the DFH Restaurant, 7/2008. I am now holding a 4 pack for future consumption. Overall I would have to say it is "The Great One" of IPA's.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Slightly hazy cider orange body with a thin layer of off-white head despite a fairly aggressive pour; decent lacing. Fine aromas--some hops but certainly not overbearing for a DIPA, or a strong IPA for that matter. The smell is also malty, vinous, and like rum liqueur.

Good taste, lots of fruit especially grapefruit, orange, and pineapple. It's really delicious but boozy, with occasional flashes of hot alcohol. But it's also on the whole quite smooth and viscous. Very delicious, but not a quaffer. The 21% alcohol is for real and one must be wary. Thankfully, 120 easily maintains its flavor when sipped periodically and set down for a breather, which I'd recommend.

Terrific beer, a DIPA liqueur really, and one I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Very unique and, though expensive, well worth enjoying one and cellaring a couple, if one can afford it.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into snifter at home. Aged approximately one year.

Brilliant amber coloring, relatively thin head that dissipates after a short while. Smells of very sharp citrus and pineapple hops. Some honey and candy scents as well. Extremely sweet on the palate, huge alcohol hits immediately (think schnapps). Lots of honey and peach flavors at first, with caramel and candy, followed closely by the huge citrus hop kick. Not overwhelmingly hoppy as would have expected, much more dominant malt sweetness, but still the hops resonate. This beer is every flavor of a great IPA amplified by 10. Alcohol warms the throat and stomach. The mouthfeel is all syrup and slick. Drinkability? Considering the 21%, very. But one bottle is plenty, or better yet, to split with an appreciative (beer-worthy) drinking buddy. A nice, warming dessert beer.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

already reviewed this one once, but this time i had a one year old aged 120 minute. untill now, i wasn't sure that an iipa could age so well, but the malt profile and the hop profile had both remained outstanding, yet blended ever so sweetly and even become more distinct at the same time. the alcohol was barely noticeable, and the body was top top notch. i'll check back in on this one next year. a real treat.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Got this in a trade with Soulfly967 in Pennsylvania. Aroma is strong, hoppy, and surprisingly fruity - the orange and hop aromas battle for dominance, so one whiff is hoppy while the next is of orange. It pours a hazy orange-amber with a fairly thick and rather persistent white head. Flavor is richly orange and a little sweet with a firm hoppy but only slightly bitter hop undertone. This is quite unlike any IPA I have ever had - well worth the effort of setting up a trade! Texture is rich and silky smooth, yet fairly tingly and lively.

4.51/5  rDev +9.5%

Seems like finding this beer is like finding the lost city of Atlantis. It ranks in my top 5 without a doubt. It pours a gorgeous deep amber and has a hoppy nose. A bit heavy on the mouthfeel and a bit of a heavy finish, albiet a plesant one. Very hoppy, in the tradition of true ipas

4.51/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

8oz pour into a snifter. It's a boozy IPA in the vein of Founders' Devil Dancer. A ton of smooth alcohol with heat and hops, but not the slap-you-in-the-face hops a lot of IPA's strive for (and I distaste). Delicious.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a clearish orange color with a thin white head.

S - honestly it doesn't have a great smell. I mean it's a lot of hops but not complex.

T - taste is great. Very very hoppy and fades to a sweet balance of malt. Very harvesty tasting.

M - heavy bodied and medium carbonation.

O - very good tasting. Very powerful. Glad I got it on tap

4.51/5  rDev +9.5%

120 pours a dark hazy cooper color with little head. This beer smells like a plant, very hoppy. The taste is very hoppy with a nice dogfish head like malty background. I thought it was easy to drink butthe alchool sneaks up. overall a very good beer.

4.51/5  rDev +9.5%

This beer has intense layers of flavors from sweet to citrus to malty bitterness. After a few sips the bitterness of the hops gives way to the more complex flavors. At 15% ABV it packs a punch: It hangs pretty heavy in the mouth and has more alcohol burn that I expected. It is something even an experienced beer drinker may want to work up to. And this is not to be taken lightly.

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

Wow!!! what a sharp beer. Just like all the rest it simply explodes in your mouth. Last time I reviewed this ale, I judged it out of ignorance. Today, I judge it from the experience of the 60,90 minute. Awesome, this beer should be brewed year round, just an awesome experience, it is like putting dynamite in your mouth with flavor. You have to drink it in sips, to truly enjoy it. Thanks to VwCraig for the trade, I absolutely have to get more of this ale. The smell of absolute pure hops. It sort of stings your nose. For the alcohol in this beer, you sure can't tell. It is sweet with a sting.

My last review was simply not on the mark, I called it horseradish. I stand corrected and I sincerely apologize to the brew makers of this ale. I want to keep this review g rated, but I have to state, this beer is orgasmic.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving type: bottle dated 3/27/14

A - Golden/Ruby colored with little to no head. Gorgeous color

S - Booze, vanilla, caramel, dried fruit, and a hint of oak. There's no denying this beer's similarity to a barleywine.

T - A warm booziness follows a strong dried fruit note which is further followed by a keen lingering bitterness and alcohol burn. This—and the warming buzziness that comes along with it—is the only hint at just how strong this beer is. It's incredibly well balanced.

M - Thick and lingering. Think of half and half vs. non fat milk

O - An extraordinary beer from our friends at Dogfish. It really is remarkable just how much care and passion goes into this little bottle. Honestly, I would rate this in the top ten beers that I've ever had the pleasure of tasting and a world-class beer that truly stands on it's own. I'm still not sure if I'd call this an IPA or even a triple IPA. It's more of a cross between a double IPA and an american barley wine. I'm glad that I finally had the chance to try this fresh. I've been cellaring a couple of bottles for over a year. Looks like it's time for a vertical tasting!

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Very hazy dark amber, almost copper color with a thin and quickly dissipating off-white head.

S: Loads of caramel with milk chocolate, and just a hint of piney hops.

T: incredibly sweet and caramelly. Very mild and floral hops, not aggressive at all on the hops. Only mild bitterness.

M: one of the thickest, most viscous "IPAish" beers you'll ever drink. Very chewy, with a heavy warming effect, but not an alcohol burn.

O: A memorable beer. I'm glad they serve it in 12 oz bottles because you couldn't drink too much of it--but this definitely warms you on a winter night similar to a heavy stout.

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

A - pours a very golden body thin-ish head which i would have liked to stay longer

S - sweet oh so sweet maly very hopy piney booze on the back end

t - malty hops oh loads of hops caramel

m - syrupy low in carbontion

O - awesome this beer is really too drinkable for its abv

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

I really loved this beer. 120 pours into the snifter with a large off white head. Very good retention for a beer with such a high abv. Has a deep amber color.

The nose is packed full of sweet caramel malt, spicy citric hops, rum like alcohol, dark fruits and licorice.

This is one powerful brew. The palate starts with a huge caramel maltiness, oily citric hops, black licorice and a warming alcohol. This is one of the best nightcaps I have ever had.

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured into a pint glass. I have a tulip, but I didn't have it with me at the time, dammit.

4.0 A: Rich orange amber in color. Quarter inch head.

4.5 S: Somewhat woody, caramel. Sweetness is there for sure. You can smell the alcohol, but not nearly as much would be expected from a 21% beer.

4.5 T: Hardly bitter, unexpected from an IPA. Sweetness comes through. Alcohol isn't overpowering at all. Woodiness very apparent. Otherwise delicious, very delicious.

4.0 M: For a 450 calorie beer, it feels lighter than expected, but still very rich. My mouth feels happy, but not ecstatic.

5.0 D: I think I could easily drink another and enjoy it just as much. For that and the alcohol content, this is an exceptional drink. One of most drinkable beers I've ever had.

I'd have to say that this is a great beer, but not worth the $9.00 pricetag per bottle. One day when I have more money, it won't be a big deal, but right now it is (college student). I would recommend Dogfish's Palo Santo brown ale if you want a high flavor beer that's less hard-hitting on the wallet.

Dogfish head seems like it can do no wrong. I've loved 6 of the 7 beers I've had from them.

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

This beer pours a slightly hazy apricot with a head consisting of a film of uneven bubbles.

Smells of a combo of metallic, earthy, pineapple and oaky hops with a little wheat and honey beneath, followed by a smooth and gentle alcohol.

The flavor is amazingly dynamic. Starts with a zesty sour that wraps around the edges of my tongue and the presents a green grape and honey sweetness. This is followed by a dry tingly concoction of earthy, pineapple, plumb and oaky hops. Finishes with a nice dirty sting of dryness

Mouth feel is thin but dense with a light and tingly carbonation.

I have to ask, “where did the alcohol go?”. DFH once again does an amazing job of burring an amazing amount of booze. Delicious!

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

I got a finger of head. Body was coppery orange. Lots of bubbles slowly rising to the top.

A delicious citrus bouquet with a little bit of booze.

The taste was straight cough syrup...and I loved it. A sweet combination of tangerines and mandarin oranges, it paired well with the alcohol flavor.

Medium bodied, kind of oily like cough syrup, but still smooth. Medium carbonation. Good stuff.

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

Brilliant. Caramel corn nose and initial taste. With a year or two on it this is a beautifully chewy barleywine-esque beer. Huge butter and toffee nose with a smooth and bitter finish. Outstanding.

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a crystal clear golden with a white head that fades to a persistant film. Smells like super sticky hops, very piny and sweet grapefruity. The taste has two aspects, sweetness and bitterness. It is dominated by the sweetness. I can't taste a single hint of alcohol which is surprising. Mouthfeel is great, very syrupy and smooth. Drinkability is huge.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Hazed red amber body. Light foam, more specifically the tiniest ring of foam. Has legs like wine.

A- Dark fruit and caramel malt, no noticeable alcohol or hops.

T- Very sweet malt flavor with quite a bit of alcohol. As I worked through this glass I noticed myself getting rather intoxicated and my senses dulled.

M- Medium-heavy body and little to no carbonation. No apparent carbonation, but there is still a carbonation bite. Quite warming in my chest as well.

D- So incredibly smooth for the amount of alcohol. This bottle was less than a year old and most of the hops seem to have mellowed out. My previous bottle was ~5 years. I'd like to try a freshly bottled one in the near future. As far as sessionable, nope, after one I had a very nice buzz on.

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

i have been searching out this beer for some time now. i love the 90 minute. the truth is that this sucker nails you right away. the flavor is not overpowering but complete and balanced well. the hop taste is orgasmic.

from my notes:

A: semi-translucent, amber, i got a low head, greet lacing.

S: citrus, sweet, grapefruit

T: white grapes, grapefruit, perfectly balanced.

Drinkability: sipper

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

12 fl oz brown bottle; served in a snifter.
Bottled on 03.29.06.

Slightly cloudy, glowing light copper in color. Foamy, near off-white head that slowly pushes its way to the edges of the snifter. Delicately thin lacing with good strength.

Warming alcohol-infused hop resin; hop oils practically jumping from the glass. Smooth, cognac-soaked fruity esters: peach, pear, green apple. Creamy, sweet maltiness with vanilla tones.

Big sweetness up front: vanilla, honey; that lasts into the aftertaste. Liquid hop oils; hints of pear, melon. Floral hop hints and just a touch of pine. Very warming alcohol presence that works wonders with the creamy sweetness. In terms of flavor, reminiscent of a brandy flavored with maple or vanilla. Liquid gold to my tastebuds.

Medium in body; blissfully smooth and creamy on the palate. It doesn't get smoother than this for an ale this big.

If you're expecting a gruff, American hop monster filled with pine and citrus hop flavors...you'll be in for a surprise. The 120 really cannot be defined stylistically; crossing boundaries between an Imperial IPA, American Barleywine, and Cognac. Heaven, (and a hangover), in every bottle.

2006 Vintage

A: Poured into my trusty Chimay goblet. This beer was the color of hazy apple cider. Not too much of a head and some lacing.

S: The smell was intense; a lot of hops with some interesting underlying fruit scents and sugars.

T: The taste was massive and complex. The hops were there big time, but as appose to a big spicy hop flavor, it was a more complex fruity, grassy hop flavor. I got a lot of grapefruit, as well as almost a buttery flavor. I also got a little bit of cannabis flavor in there too.

M: I could almost feel the hop resin in this beer. Also had a light carbonated feel, but not much.

D: This beer was surprisingly drinkable, and the 18% abv was incredibly well hidden. I expected to only sip it, but ended up taking some sizeable swigs. However, I did take the whole night to nurse it, so I would not call it a good session beer by any means.

Notes: I really enjoyed this beer. More then I wanted to, actually (due to the price)... I thought it would be a one-time novelty, but I could easily see myself drinking it again. I did have a fresh batch and it was a WHOLE different animal. Hops and alcohol were much more ferocious. I prefer it aged (unless I'm in a particularly spicy/hoppy mood).

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery