120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Wants: 1,053
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.91/5  rDev -4.6%

Bottled in 2012. Poured with a deep garnet color with a slight chill haze. Started with a short off-white foam that reduced to a wispy cap. Caramel malt, toffee, and dark fruit aromas with citrussy ripe orange and lemon zest followed by an undeniable booziness. Medium bodied with a thick oily feel through the middle and hot, boozy finish. Caramel malt and toffee flavors up front with ripe citrus flavors in tow that are overwhelmed by heavy, boozy heat from the middle to the end. Finished with a very boozy sweet toffee aftertaste. The bottle says it ages well. Maybe 2 years was too long? This was a very boozy English Barleywine to me. I'd be interested to see what a fresh, unaged bottle tastes like in comparison to this. But, I'd rather put my $10 toward a 4-pack of Burton Baton.

3.91/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2012 vintage. 12 oz. bottle served in a snifter. Poured a hazy gold with a finger of white head that quickly dissipated. Big piney hop aroma. Flavor started off with a nice hit of hop bitterness. Finish was very sweet. Lots of malt and full bodied. Not as boozy as I would have expected. Glad I got to try it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it again.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

This is my unicorn, I was lucky to find it at Capone's in East Norriton PA last week on a business trip. 2008 bottle, bottled 7-8-08. Opened 5-29-11. Poured into my dfh snifter, shared with a good friend. Pours a MURKY dark dark orange, bordering on brown color. Completely opaque. Smell- buttery, sugary, some vinegar, spice, apple. Wow. A lot going on here. Taste- some astringency, a warm buttery flavor, sweet apple. Almost a tart type finish- This is very very complex. So much going on in this beer. Mouthfeel- it has lost a lot of its carbonation, but you don't even miss it here. Something about the crisp tart finish of the beer doesn't even make you think about the potential flatness of the beer. Drinkability- especially improves as it warms. Came out of my cellar at 55 degrees, and didn't really reveal itself fully until almost an hour passed. This is an epic beer....and truly demonstrates why you age beer and what it can do. My final thought is that this should be classified as an old ale after a few years...very hard to consider it part of the IPA family.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a flute. Bottled on date of 11/05/08.

Appearance: Small fizzy light tan head. Good carbonation, I was expecting it to be rather flat. Kind of a golden orange color.

Smell: The hops still have a somewhat citric aroma even though it's nearly 4 months old.

Taste: Really amazed that the hops can stand up to such a high abv. Definitely a big malty backbone to this beer, as well.

I was a little nervous about trying this but overall it's just a really great(but strong) hoppy beer.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a hazy amber color with a one finger white head. Very nice lacing. Nose is resiny pine, bready and slightly fruity. Taste is dominated by a very robust, sweet malt backbone. Floral hops, though less than I expected from this super-hopped brew. Taste hides the alcohol very well; there's no bite, but a pleasant warmth with each sip. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy. It's oily and viscous and stays on the palate. I had been dancing around buying this one for some time-- glad I finally did. This is a big beer in all aspects. Though it'd be tough to have more than one in a sitting, I'd gladly have another at a later time.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Holy hell! Is this a beer?

In the glass, it's a deep cloudy orange with no head. Little bubbles float to the surface. The aroma is sort of hoppy, but also fruity and sweet -almost Belgian-like. Oh, and alcohol. Big hits of alcohol waft off the surface of this monster and overpower everything. Taste and mouthfeel converge, as the thick syrupy body and alcoholic zing carry in a huge maltiness and potent hits of hop bitterness and flavor. With other hoppy beers, I can usually detect differences in hop flavors and aromas, but not here. I just know there are hops entering my body aggressively and I can't see past that. All of this is overlaid on a base of sweet malt. Seems like the yeast, if they could have taken this beer up to 30% ABV, would have had plenty of sugars to work with.

Overall, this is a very complicated and very strong beverage. Unlike anything I've ever had (a title that formerly belonged to Dogfish's Fort). If you haven't, try it. You won't regret spending the $9 for a bottle. Will I buy another bottle? Maybe. Not anytime soon; this is not one that I'll add to my standard lineup, but a worthwhile adventure.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

12 oz bottle dated 6/10/2007, courtesy of one of the DFH employees (many thanks!)

Surprising. I was thinking this would either be too sticky and sugary sweet per the other reviews, or just a massive hop bomb by nature, but its something completely different.

Yes, it's sweet, and yes, it's sticky. But it's not overboard on either. Definitely a slow drinker, not a whole lot of aroma to my bottle, but the aging seems to have mellowed out the profile.

Much more drinkable than I thought. Some lingering hop resin on the tongue late, not as much as I expected but about as bad as I've had just the same. This was something I'd try once, maybe get halfway through, but I easily finished it, enjoyed the fruity and sweet nature, definitely worth another try.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

I picked up a 12 ounce bottle at Walnut Liquorette (for $13). The color is dark yellow to light orange as it pours into the glass and clear medium orange in the glass with a modest, fluffy head that sticks to the glass, leaving a dense lacing as the beer drains away. The smell is surprisingly sweet and suprisingly mildly hoppy with an earthy background. The mouthfeel is sticky (which I like) and the taste is sugary sweet with a much subtler hoppiness (at first) than I expected. As the beer warms a bit, more hoppiness comes out in the smell and the flavor. But still, this is definitely not in the mold of a CA-style IPA or DIPA (I don't mean that as a complaint, just a comparison). I suppose the hopping is more nuanced, but with my (non-super taster) palate and frame of reference, I'm afraid some of that nuance may be lost on me. For me, the sugary sweetness is most noticeable; and due to it, I couldn't drink a whole lot of this beer in one sitting.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Tried this after a 60 Minute IPA. Great looking IPA - beautiful amber color with light head that screams "Drink me!". Strong hop aroma. Much maltier and hoppier than the 60 Minute version, but this was expected. The malt taste lingers long on the tongue, allowing extra time between tastes. This is an IPA to savor the flavors and drink slowly by itself (not for pairing with food). I bought it at $9.99 a four pack, and the price is worth it.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

12oz bottle (date has rubbed off, but this is at least 4 years old) poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass. Very interested to see how this has held up over the years.

A - Bottle opens with a nice whoosh of carbonation. A rather firm pour down the center of the glass raises a 1/2 finger of off white, creamy foam that actually hangs around for a few minutes, slowly falling. Pretty impressive for an 18% beer. Some light foamy lacing clings to the glass...again, just a bit surprising - pleasantly. A mostly clear deep orange amber color with lots of fine streams of carbonation rising nicely from the bottom of the glass.

S - Surprisingly hoppy up front given the age, although it is obvious that the aroma has faded greatly from its initial intensity. Still manage to get quite a bit of pine and grapefruit. A nice layer of sweetness sits behind the hops. I get notes of raisins, honey, caramel and toffee. I would also say that there is a sweetness contribution from the ethanol as well as some phenolics and an overall boozy aroma.

T - Super sweet up front. Candi sugar, very sweet maltiness, honey...almost syruplike. Citrusy hops, a bit of a green hop flavor. There is some bitterness here from the hops, which I guess does balance this out some, but they really can't compete with the high sugar levels in here. The only thing that stands up to the sweetness is the alcohol. There is a strong alcoholic, boozy flavor in here that really overpowers everything else. In a way, this reminds me of Southern Comfort...doesn't taste the same, but just the level of alcohol combined with the syrupy sweetness - same basic effect.

M - Very full bodied with a smooth and creamy lower level carbonation. Despite the syrupy thickness, this beer just slides over the tongue in an almost oily sorta way. The alcohol first catches me on the inhale in a "take your breath away" fashion as it overpowers the oxygen in the air and eventually rests in the back of your mouth and throat with a mild burn. Alcohol and a fruitiness beyond by capability to describe is left behind after the swallow. This is a pretty unique beer.

D - Hmm, how to describe the drinkability of an 18% beer. Well, it's not the best thing I've ever had, but it is unique and interesting. A sipper for sure, although I'm sure I'm plowing through this way too fast and it's gonna hurt. Can't say that I'm looking for another beer after this one is done. At this point I'd lean heavily towards calling this a barleywine instead of a DIPA. Maybe I should have waited another couple of months for some cooler weather, but I've been staring at this in my fridge for too long...it had to be done. This is almost liquor like and definitely more fitting as an after dinner drink than anything else. Got another one of these with about the same age on it...think I will share with a friend when the time is right...probably a good thing for both of us.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured reddish orange with a thin white head. No real lacing.

S - Smells like hops with a hint of alcohol.

T - Hops, sweet malts. Hops were so strong I didn't get much else.

M - Syrupy and viscous. Just a bit of carbonation.

D - It killed the taste buds pretty quick.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

I just had to try this at least once. "Continually hopped over a 120 minute boil and then dry hopped every day for a month", sounds reasonable enough...

It pours a thick, beautiful deep caramel orange with a massive, chunky head that just sits there after a heavy pour; very nice for such a high alcohol brew.

The nose is intense, I'm not even sure how to describe it. Heavy orange marmalade, toffee, bubblegum, and a cotton candy-like sweetness; hops are there but very sweet and citrusy.

Taste is incredibly thick and complex. Heavy dextrin sweetness up front, more cotton candy and bubblegum, heavy tongue numbing alcohol, grassy pine notes, wow! This is a huge freakin' beer. Honestly the sweetness is a bit much, and pretty cloying and syrupy throughout. Finish is like sucking on a sugar cube; intensly sweet and hot from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel is something like maple syrup, extremely heavy and viscous, with an equally heavy body. Carbonation holds together pretty well considering the amount of alcohol.
I'm not sure about this one. It's extremely syrupy and sweet, and the hops kind of get lost in all that malt. Pretty good beer overall, and very well done considering it's strength, but probably not something I'll have again anytime soon.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

We crack a bottle of the 2011 stock and pour a rich, caramel colored brew. It holds a one finger head of beige bubbles, showing very nice retention. This clings to the glass as it goes, leaving a single sheet of lacing down the walls. Big aggregates remain throughout the entire tasting. There is a thick haze, but no sediment is noted. Carbonation appears light. The aroma is much like a Scotch ale or American barleywine. There are deep caramel malts, with buttery diacetyls sweetness. Additional sweetness comes from strawberry, fig, and pear. This all sits against a massive fusel alcohol sting, and some light woody qualities. There is mild phenolic bite of medicinals and plastics with warmth. Our first impression is that the taste is so fruity, and that the booze is surprisingly subdued, at least in the beginning. As we sip, sugary sweet dextrin caramel malts hit, along with fermented prunes, raisins, and sweet banana. The front is very syrupy, and big and bready. Sweet honey adds to the drink. The middle peaks with a bit of the alcohol, imparting a peppery bite. More raw honey continues, with the raisin enhancing, cutting back all of the other fruity elements. These do their best to cut the booze, but fail through the end, as a huge fusel peppery bite cleanses the palate of all life. The fruit stays sweet, but becomes more tropical, with pineapple sugars. Hops are finally present, with a light citric brush. The aftertaste breathes of more honey sweetness to cut the booze, black pepper, caramel malts, plum, raisins, and light lactic sours. The body is full and thickly syrupy, and carbonation is low. Each sip gave a sticky, sugary coating around the mouth and to the lips, which became pursed and puckered due to the booze and the sweetness. The mouth is eventually dried from the coating, as the booze evaporates all moisture. The abv is massive, warming, and catches up with you, and drinkability is certainly slow.

Overall, what we enjoy most about this brew is the boldness of flavoring, and how fruity it is. We were a little disappointed that the hops didn’t hold up as well in either the nose or the taste, but the fruitiness really did surprise us. There are deep and syrupy notes which really help to cut the booze. Even with warmth the booze does not seem as strong as it actually is, which makes for a tasty, sippin’ treat.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Nice amber color, with rather little head that fades very quickly, but as I swirl to get more aroma the head comes back and stays. Beautiful lacing and very small bubbles that stay, the second time around. Smells surprisingly sweet (I was expecting pure hops); some fruit, flowers definitely (floral hops), grapefruit (citrus hops). Quite sweet. Mouthfeel is very smooth and coats the mouth in a syrupy effect; medium to full bodied. Tastes quite sweet; again, syrupy. I am quite surprised by this because as an imperial IPA I expected overwhelming dominating hops, but this is not the case. It is very sweet, smooth and drinkable. Perhaps the alcohol will hurt drinkability in greater quantities but I shared a 12 oz bottle with 3 coworkers. Finish is long, syrupy sweet. If anything hurts drinkability the most for me it is the sweetness.

2011 batch just came in yesterday
Purchased as a single from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - poured into DFH snifter

Pours an amber orange with a moderate, very dense looking head. Smells like I'm sticking my nose into a jar of hop pellets. It's awesome. Taste is SWEEET.. man.. It is enjoyable to a degree as the alcohol is very well masked however the sweetness is just crazy. Tastes wonderfully dry on the finish. Mouthfeel is thick and goopy almost, not really ideal for me.

Overall this is a beer for the hop heads of course. I'm glad that I was able to try it but I would't kill for another really. It smells amazing and the finish is great but the sweetness is just wooo

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

This beer just keeps on giving.

The nose is hollow. Reminiscent of vomit and cat food. We would expect the hops to be stronger, but all we really got was alcohol and cat food.

Taste is very sweet. Reminds one of our tasters (actually all of us) of southern comfort. But very round with long finish. Interesting hop flavors mingle with the overpoweringly sweet maltiness in a graceful manner. Doesn't taste like cat food or vomit. The alcohol is actually quite discrete.

This heres a sippin' beer. Drink with caution.

Reviewed by three experts, some eugenecists some not.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

I was quite excited to try this beer. Having heard great things, I went in with high hopes indeed.

The pour renders a rich amber product, any head at the pour dissipates immediately, with a couple bubbles popping up from time to time.

The nose only served to amplify my excitement. There's certainly alcohol, though I notice the malts before the hops. This surprises me somewhat, but there is still a bitterness hiding behind it all.

This is absolutely a sipping beer. Some sweet caramel malts drip across the backdrop of brandy, balanced by a piney/citrust hop character.

Think of this almost more as a cordial in terms of how you would drink it. It's good, overall, but wasn't quite what I was expecting. I would drink it again, but won't be scouring as hard as I was to find this first bottle. Wonder what aging it would bring?

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

A- Pours a dark, dark copper/gold. Head is short lived. Love the carb bubbles.

S- Almost smells of a cider. Alcohol.

T- Alcohol overpowers everything which I was expecting. Slight sweetness followed by bitterness, neither of which is too overwheming. A definite sipper.

M- Creamy.

D/O- Drinkability is near zero but loved every second of my 6 ounce glass...split a 12 ounce bottle of this 18% monster with a friend who then blew a .4 on my BAC device. Been looking forward to this day for awhile after having many 60 and 90 Minutes. Thanks PTMcB!

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a hazy amber color, a deep color for an IPA. The cream head stands a half inch tall in my DFH signature glass. It recedes to a thick ring and a couple rocky islands of foam. The aroma is hoppy: grassy, citric, piney. Not actually as hoppy as I expected. There is also a light sweetness in the aroma. The first taste is floral bitterness, with a touch of malt. Next I get pine and syrupey flavors. As it leaves the palate, I get a touch of citrus and a lot of alcohol warmth. There is a flavor in this that I dislike, it's about 2/3 the way through, it seems medicinal but that may not be a perfect description. The mouthfeel is one of the thickest I've tred for an IPA, no suprise there, but the body is slightly lightened by a ticklish carbonation. This isn't exactly what I expected it to be, but that seems to be how DFH works, they make delicious things that make you scratch your head a bit. Okay, time or a glass of water, this sucker is boozy.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery