Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,120 | Hads: 7,412
4.54/5  rDev +15.5%

Solidly cloudy deep orange, with some fade to cloudy deep gold, and a creamy creamy cap.

Woahwah! It's super caramel malty and simply gushing with fruits. Bitter and spicy, damn tasty, supremely sippable, syrupy uber-full smooth, and a thickly creamy carb.

Glad I split this bottle, but a worthy beer for certain. Well deserved reputation. A hop-head's hard alcohol. (368 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

Dogfish 120 Minute IPA...21+ alcohol content. Bottled date of 01/07/08.

A- Very thick dark orange fluid that shows a mildly active head that falls to excellent heavy lacing that sticks to glass. Supernova look in the light mild orange tint in middle and dark firey outer shell of glass. NICE.

S- The beer is over a foot and a half from my nose and I smell it! Heavy sweet sugar scent with thick overtones of Malts and hops. Very appearent hop oil smell with alcohol esters obvious.

T- Severly complex in flavor that is combined with every flavor in mind. Starts with heavy brown sugar thickness, massive malt body, followed by a alcohol warmth, finishing with a great hop bitterness tart and tang.

M-D- Thick and very alcohol feel and taste. It's my favorite "can you?" beer. Can you drink it all like any other? Yes I can! Heavy malts and hops can almost crush any average drinkers palate. I personally can down the whole damn thing in about 15 mins. Hardcore flavor means a need for a hardcore drinker. Like light beers? Dont waste the money on trying a true massive hopped and aged beer like this.

Note: Love Hops? Go for it! Just bought out the last of 08 120's in local store.

Note: 5/31/09 Had 5/02/09 bottle i recommend that you keep it for at least a year before drinking. Very mild stuff at first. (1,312 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A- Orangish amber brew,not much head but swirl in the chalice left great lace.

S- Very piney hop aroma, incredible.

T-Citrusy,sweet great to nose,very hoppy,awesome.

M-Creamy ,Thick, almost syrupy.

D-Very good, scary because of the high ABV.

On closing any of the people who gave this beer a bad review need to take their balls out of their mom's purse and man up ,this stuff is awesome don't fear it embrace, I will definetly be drinking more when I get back from St. Martin, VI next month . (502 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Finally. Before I get started let me say that if I am within like 2 feet of this glass it smells amazing.

Nose is a mixture of strong, resinous pine and citrus hops and alcohol. Strong alcohol haha. Heavy, sticky pine flavors and alcohol heat intermingle. There's a dominating sweetness and bitterness that sticks around for a long time after. Its delicious and not nearly as strong tasting as I had remembered but it will definitely do well being put away and aged up for a bit. Like it says on the bottle, it can be enjoyed now or aged up for a decade or so. I'm thinking maybe 2-4 years.

Overall I gave it a 4.5, but thats only because in a couple of years it will improve, there is literally nothing wrong with it now. (725 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

On Thanksgiving I purchased two 12 oz bottles and me and my cousin had split one.
The other one is being aged right now. The bottle was chilled and than set out to reach a little warmer temperature. Pour into two snifters and was eaten with crackers and cheese spread. Which complemented it nicely!

Appearance - Upon pour me and my cousin looked in 'awe' as probably the most beautiful color appeared in our glass. It looked like the time right before the sunsets lighting up a wheat field on a clear day. The vibrant dark golden orange-brown lit up the room and that head topped the glass perfectly and was so thick and creamy.

Smell - It has been over a week since Thanksgiving and the smell still lingers. That sweet malty citrus smell, with the aroma of ethanol. I was already starting to taste it from the fragrance.

Taste - I took my final sniff and added a small taste and the combination was exuberant. Strong at first and then it settled and the taste buds went off the chart. Malt, hops, fruits, sugars, and then the alcohol, which is intensely notable, but not to where it draws away from the other tastes.

Mouthfeel - It was pretty thick almost sticky and very warm, and that head stayed around the entire time as it it was the gatekeeper protecting the beer. You'd think the high alcohol content would be an annoyance but the slight prickles on your tongue makes you feel as if you were five years old again trying Pop-Rocks!

Drinkability - We split the 12 oz bottle, and that 6 ounces went down smooth. Each sip was like a wake up call to my tongue alerting it to take in the tastes again and again.

Overall this beer was probably one of the best IPAs I have had thus far. I still have one bottle left I plan on aging, which I can expect to be even better than the one we had drank that day! I've never been disappointed by DFH. Raison D'Xtra will still be top on my list from their selection, but this is an excellent second! (1,950 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

Medium honey colored with a light to no head. Huge lemon oil honey vanilla nose; nice thick mouth feel with gigantic honey/lemon/ripe apricot, candied/seared lemon flavors that are sweet, malty and very impressive, complex and appealing. A huge beer that gives the unexpected and may well be great with almost any dessert. Extreme nose, taste, flavor and complexities but clearly a beer of quality and one well made. A wonderful experience and perhaps a "one of a kind" beer.

Highly recommended and clearly worth the experience.

Re-tasted: 18% abv. This is 1 of 21 DFH beers tasted 6/13/09 in Los Angeles. Simply put, this is liquid lemon mirangue pie! This beer is huge and extreme in every respect. You either love it or hate. Huge lemon/lemon mousse nose. Medium/light carbonation. Big, full rich mouthfeel of creamy lemon and malt with orange and spice characteristics. Big sweet rich lemon and malt flavors and a thick almost lemon syrup finish. A beer for extreme flavors in foods, amost any dessert or just to sip. A treat! Drink or age. (1,046 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

WOW this beer was impressive. I traded for this brew and was kinda intimidated by this beer. I was afraid the brew would not live up too what I had come to expect. Oh but it did live up to a lot. I poured this brew into a tulip. it poured a lite orange hue. I honestly smelled a high dose of alcohol and a little sweetness of honey. It drank a lot easier than I ever imagined. So smooth for the high abv but this brew is awesome and should be sought out. love this brew and cannot wait on the next batch.

Cheers (512 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I have had a bottle of this sitting in my fridge since I picked up a few bottles of this in Arizona in September of last year. I also have 2 bottles sitting in my cellar. Finally decided to crack it open tonight. A 12 oz poured into my tulip glass. Pours a very cloudy and hazy orange/golden color. White head is about 1/2 inch when poured, settles to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass with a thin surface coating about 10 minutes after being poured. I can definetly see some yeast bits in here too. Very nice lacing. The aroma of alcohol along with a nice strong citrus aroma and also a piney, floral tart smell. Has a sweet, caramel malt, Belgian candy sugar sweetness upfront, followed by the citrus fruit tart flavor, rounded with with some floral hops. The piney, floral hop flavor is here too, but not that strong. Certainly less hoppy here than when I had it on-tap in Boston last year. The flavor of alcohol also seems to me a bit more apparent this time than when I had it on-tap last year. Has a full bodied, syrupy, chewy, thick, crisp mouthefeel with moderate carbonation. Certainly easier to drink than I would have thought, especially as it warms up a bit. I can't wait to see what a few years will do to the bottles of this that I am aging.

Eric (1,276 characters)

Bottle
WOW this is a Barley wine in my book, in the same caliber of Bigfoot ale.
Nice creamy head, extraordinary lace all the way down. Incredible blast of flavors right off the bat. Malty sweetness balanced by big hop bitterness. great beer WAY expensive. would love to have some several years after cellaring, i think the flavors would blend and improve even more. (369 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 09/17/14. I drink few IPAs so I am by no means an expert, but this is an EXCELLENT beer. I really enjoy this one. Hoppiness is not overbearing, but it let's you know it is there. Quite a bit of heat on this one though. Fruity aromas, lemon, orange. These can be detected in the taste as well. I would buy this all the time if it wasn't so expensive, but I'll enjoy this one and the other one I have left. (415 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Very full flavored beer! Really enjoyed drinking this beer. They say that it gets better the longer you age it. I have two almost a year old and it has been hard not to crack them open and enjoy another one. Keeping strong though and looking forward to having them. (265 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

I've heard about this beer for years. It is obviously not available in the Carolinas or anywhere close as far as I know. I finally got around to obtaining two 120s through a beer trade about two weeks ago. I plan on aging one but I've been waiting for the right time to drink the other, since it is so hard to for me to come by. Here we go...

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Bottled on date reads 07/07/08. I poured this just above refrigerator temperature, wanting to experience the full range of flavors as it warmed.

Poured the whole bottle aggressively into the snifter. To my surprise, a small amount of head developed. It didn't stick around for long, as would be expected. Color is a hazy ruby amber.

Strong smell of sweet currants and alcohol. No hop character comes thorough in the aroma.

First sip has a heavy presence of alcohol, along with a brown sugary sweetness. The warming feel of the alcohol is something I've never quite experienced in a beer. The flavor is almost too complex to describe. The complexities keep changing as the beer warms. Sweet fruits, continue to dominate the flavors. It is definitely not the hop bomb I would have expected. The hops remain largely unnoticeable until it reaches room temperature. It tastes more a ruby port more than it does a IIPA.

A nice amount of carbonation keeps it from becoming to syrupy or chewy. The lasting flavor is amazing.

I can't believe I am saying this but it is relatively drinkable. I mean, it's not something to have two of, but it is great for sipping. (1,547 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Got this bottle from HeB Plus in Kyle, Texas on shelf. Was surprised that it was right there on the shelf in beer area while I checked out if there is anything else special. I got two since it mentioned that it can be aged for a decade or so! I got an opportunity to taste the first bottle in my snifter glass. All I can summarize it is that it is holy grail of IPA world! It is so strong enough to drink the whole glass within an hour along with aged cheddar cheeses. Mouthfeel is wonderful and enjoying enough to know it is one of best double American ever made for IPA! God bless! (583 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

God damn this is a unique beer. It's like a cross between beer and spirits/hard liquor

A- Dense, almost opaque orange-caramel color with an awesome creamy head that leaves a bit of lace. Looks like an unfiltered IPA

S- Smell is heavy on the alcohol but has some balance of fruity yeast, malt, and lots of hops. A very "big" beer.

T- Taste is exceptional for the 21%ABV(Really?) tastes like an IPA with every ingredient doubled, perhaps tripled. Truly unique and intense. Beware, this beer will shock you if you've never tasted a craft beer made for heavy flavor, like Arrogant Bastard.

M- Feel is perfect for what I look for in beer. Feels like silky carbonation with a 2% milk-like density

D- Wow, this can creep up on you. Too easy to drink alot and get smashed. Crazy drinkable for the ABV% (798 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

Had this on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD.

The beer poured a clear, honey-amber with a thin, white head that dissipated quickly into a chalice. The smell was of clean, crisp, citrusy hops and alcohol. The initial flavor was an immediate hit of alcoholic esters, with malt sweetness in the middle, with more alcoholic warmness and hop bitterness at the finish - fantastic! A bit oily mouthfeel, with malt sweetness, hops, and alcohol flavors lingering long, long after the swallow. Wish it wasn't so expensive, but still a great, super-high octane brew. (560 characters)

Presentation: 12oz poured into a snifter

The holy grail for hopheads lets see how it faired in my glass.

Appearance: Glowing bright orange. Pours with a surprising head for the ABV as well as a soapy lacing. However as the beer warms up this dies almost altogether even upon agitation.

Smell: A musty hard alcohol smell is the first that hits you which is surrounded by citrus fruit and pineapple. A little bit of a biscuity malt in the scent.

Taste: Strong and intense pineapple taste and sweetness, followed by a biscuity finish. Surprisingly well hidden ABV for 18%. Alcohol warmth is more pronounced as the beer warms up. Being this strong of an ipa and with this alcohol content it does have a huge hop & alcohol bite bite but its pretty masked by the pineapple/citrus finish. This beer is very complex, the barley wine of IPAS.

Mouthfeel: bitterness followed by sweetness with a huge alcoholic warmth. There is a firm carbonation. This beer does bit your tongue and is an intense experience with a full body.

Drinkability: I give this beer a 5 due to the simple fact that it is fairly easy to drink for how high of a ABV. This not a beer to have often its a special experience. Its also 7-8$ a bottle. I feel anyone who is interested in strong beers and imperial IPAS should have this at-least once in their life. Anyone who doesn't like strong beers need not apply. I spent two hours sipping this beer and as it warms up it changes a lot. I'd give it a go again, I'm kinda craving it right now just because I feel i Diddn't get all the flavors down in my tasting.

I gave this beer an A because due to its high level of craft and the fact that Dogfish was able to pull it off. Just because its an A don't run out and buy it thinking it will be excellent. This is an experience not a session. (1,806 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Now, listen. I have been wanting this "living legend" for a very long time and being that I am a West Coaster, trying to see even an empty bottle in person has been impossible. However, I finally got my hands on some yesterday thus, the review:

I have to begin with "Exceeded all expectations" as I was expecting something along the lines of an Imperial IPA or a Double IPA. Wrong. This wonderful and, dare I say, magical libation looks and pours like a blonde barley-wine, thick and syrupy, with low carbonation and a fairly non-existent head (which I was appreciative for). The color was dirty-blonde, creamy, cloudy and mysterious. I was absolutely in awe of this thing once it hit my glass. Like you would with a fine, aged barley-wine, I let it sit for a while to air - but not too long - because frankly, I couldn't wait as long as I perhaps should have. I had to remember: this isn't a barley-wine!

It drank slowly or, rather, I drank it slowly enjoying every small mouthful. The carbonation was more prevalent on the drink than on the pour and it added a nice spiciness. It was thick and syrupy and the words "hop juice" came to mind while drinking it. The labor that goes into making this beverage was blatantly apparent and I almost felt guilty drinking my 120 as I know how much work goes into a batch of this stuff. The alcohol was prevalent but not overpowering - but I like 'em strong anyway so perhaps I'm not the best judge of this aspect. But you can't drink it fast, in fact, it took me about an hour to finish.

I have four more bottles and I will lay down at least two of them for at least 2-3 years. I can't even begin to imagine how great they will be then. (1,681 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours gold to coppery orange with a medium cream head that fades fairly quickly and leaves a small amount of lacing. Aroma is big on sugary sweetness, very sweet malty aroma. There is also some citrusy hops in the aroma with lemon being the strongest note. Just a hint of alcohol is evident in the aroma but it becomes more pronounced with some agitation/swirling. Taste is malty and sweet. Like a lemon candy or citrus candy. Sweetness is along the level of an eisbock and then some. Citrusy hops may be huge but don't come thru that way, perhaps because of the large malt bill. The hoppiness is nice though, a clean citrus hoppiness. Like a eisbock and ipa mixture overall. There is some boozy warmth along with a hot alcohol bite in the finish. Alcohol seems nowhere near the 18-20 range. I love this beer. Perhaps not one you can drink much of, but a nice big sweet treat cut with some nice citrus hoppiness. Call it a barleywine or dipa, this one was meant for cellaring and I plan on loading up as the wallet will allow.
This review is from a 2005 vintage. (1,063 characters)

Bottled on date: 07/08/08 F
Drank on: 1/20/10

a nice looking beer, pours an brown/golden amber color, my nose was a little stuffy but i could smell the hops in it

wish i could taste a 10.0, tons of flavors, i get mainly a spicy, cinnamon taste to it, it has a little bitter/hoppy taste at the finish as well as a boozy end, the beer was thick but at just the right amount

this beer went a little too quick for me, this is definitely gonna be a tradition on 1/20 to drink this, i really need to get a case and try it on-tap (525 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle from 2012

A- Deep dark gold/red color with little lacing.
S- malt city! also hop and booze but lot a malt.
T- sweet malt in middle and hop happens in the back with booze. pine and apple in the front?
M- Sticky and heavy with little carbonation.
O- fantastic beer. I've been wanting to try this for awhile and I would say it lives up to my expectation. I'm excited to try 2014 whenever it comes out. I will surely age a couple like this one. (455 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my tasting snifter. My second time drinking it, first review. First time was on tap and slightly different, if memory serves. Pretty reddish gold color. Medium to smallish head which dissipates quickly, yet laces nicely. Wonderful citrus fruity/produce market aroma. Oranges, pine, lemongrass, melon. Big sip... Sweet, full bodied. First thing to go through my mind is the word Barleywine. Citrus, dark fruit and big brown sugar. Far from tasting like an IPA, except for the hop bitterness across the very middle. The back end is surprisingly sweet. Good lingering aftertaste. I found this to be more carbonated than what I expected from reading other reviews. Alcohol is masked well by the ABUNDANCE of flavors, but is HIGHLY evident as soon as it hits the belly. Alcohol hits you similar to a warm red wine buzz. Body is slightly thick and sticky. A good beer to sip and swirl, and it warms very well. One word description of this beer: Relaxing. (960 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%

Tasted at my new favorite Chicago bar, Hopleaf.

The holy grail of IPA's, indeed - I've waited a while for this one.

The pour releases a sunset orange brew with a sticky, thin white head. From the first drop out of the bottle, the warm, citrusy, sticky, floral, fruity (mango, pineapple, lemon), hops consume the nostrils - it's wonderful.

The taste is equally as pleasing. The beer almost feels like resin - sticky, piney, but not in a bad way - and bursts with a wide range of flavors - the mangoes, pineapples, and lemons mentioned above, along with a biscuity element, a chewy candy sweetness, and of course, the warm tingle of the alcohol. Surprisingly, the 21% doesn't send my tastebuds running, though the combination of that and the massive hops profile obliterates all other tastes in my mouth (at the time, this included garlic, bleu cheese, and a heavily spiced steak).

I'm glad I saved this for dessert, because it left me satisfied, cleansed, and thoroughly impressed.

I can't wait for the next opportunity to bask in 120's glory... (1,061 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%

Being a big fan of Dogfish Head and their IPAs in general, I wish I could have this beer more often, but it usually sells out quick at our local stores. Our neighbors and I had this when we came over for dinner, and the aromas and taste both put us in our place. This is an excellent beer! I have the 90-minute and 60-minute pretty regularly, but this was only my second time having the 120-minute.

A - Pouring into a glass, the beer itself is a light amber color with a solid ring around the top. The foam disappeared relatively quickly once we began drinking.

S - Spicy and sweet, with bitter notes in the smell. The aroma also had some Vanilla, similar to DFH's Palo Santo Marron. The smell of alcohol was faint, but there.

T - When you try a massively hopped beer like this, you expect it to be bitter. What I didn't remember was how sweet it tastes. There's very little alcohol at cool, but not cold temp (~55 degrees). First taste was sweet with some bitter hops, later tastes felt like vanilla and alcohol. Overall the taste is sweetness and some spicy undertones. Alcohol taste was there, but very low for something with such high ABV. Very good, but a sipping beer - drink it slow.

D - For such a specialty beer, this is very drinkable. The high ABV may seem like a barrier, but my friend and his wife both found it to be easily paired with dinner. Anyone who enjoys IPA should try this beer.

If you like IPAs, this is a beer for you, if only to taste what something with this much hops really can taste like. My heat is off to DFH for making such a consistently excellent beer that is very complex. I hope to have many more in the future. (1,653 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%

Fantastic. Buy a handful every year and cellar them. The verticals of these are so fun to drink, but be sure to share with friends. One of the baddest IPA's on the market. Huge floral hop that mellows over time. Give it a year and the powerful sweet malt begins to surface. Evolves in character and complexity creating an exciting experience every time I pull one out of the cellar. (382 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%

I love my friends& coworkers -- a former DFH employee moves away and finds a case of beer. Remembering my repeatedly yammering on about how much I enjoyed DFH beers, she hands it off to me. 6 120s, 6 60s, and a handful of Punkins. Not sure how long the 120s aged, but they're the caution/exclamation point caps.

A: Poured from the bottle into my Duvel Tulip. A 1-finger head with a fair amount of staying power leaves a very sticky lacing. Held up to the light it's a deep orange/brown with a bit of a ruby hint in the background.

S: On top of a base of a malty carmel, there's a strong, but not overpowering, hops smell of orange and other citrus.

T: Ahh, here we've got it... Starts with a bit of that carmely malt, but that's just a palate to paint the tasty hops flavors on top. The hops open with that citrus that you smelled. It's followed with a piney hops, but what's interesting is the way the flavors blend. It doesn't feel like two separate tastes, but they move into each other. The bitterness isn't overwhelming, but it fairly well balanced.

How can a beer this strong not have too much alcohol burn? It's definitely alchoholic, and you can taste it, but it doesn't kill the flavor, just encourages you to savor it like a nice bourbon.

M: This might be the closest thing to a weakness for this beer. It's still good, the alchohol makes itself known through the mouthfeel. It's a bit heavy, but it coats the mouth well. It's not strongly carbonated, but in the middle of the taste, tied with the piney hoppiness you feel like you're missing a bit.

D: This is a toughie to judge on drinkability. Compared with your average IPA, this isn't refreshing or exceptionally drinkable, but with the wonderful flavor, and especially with the high alcohol content, it's remarkably easy to drink. It drinks more like a good barley wine, so that's what I'll judge it on here, in which case, it's exceptionally easy to drink.

Overall -- I love this beer. It's the beer that I compare great beer with, but with all the great beer in the world, what do you need to pay $9.00 for a 12oz bottle for. Still I'll save the remainders and see what happens in a few years.

--Thanks Sondra!!! (2,214 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery