120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

This is really a beautiful looking beer. Little to no head to speak of but the color is orange and copper and very deep. It looks great. The smell is also incredible, hoppy, grapefruity, and slightly of honey.

After tasting it the sweet and honey odors are much more present and dominate the smell, making it not as great, but when I first smelled it before tasting it was incredible.

The taste is good and for the 21% abv the alcohol is surprisingly masked. The issue here, as others have noted, is that it doesn't taste hoppy or like an IPA really at all. It's just sweet and malty. The more I look at it and taste it the more it's reminding me of honey, which isn't necessarily bad but now what I was looking for here. Mouthfeel is great...for how sweet it is it's not syrupy and rolls around in the mouth quite pleasantly.

It's pretty drinkable but I won't be having more than one and I don't know if I'll drink this again, with the exception of an aged bottle perhaps. I keep hoping that one of these 20% abv beers is going to blow me away and become one of my serious go-to beers but thus far they are all just sweet and while they do have redeeming qualities they're not all that great. This is still a very good beer though and it has to be tried.

gauchebag, Jul 20, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

It pours a cloudy orange-yellow with a small off-white head.

The smell is dominated by pine and lemon. Medicinal. There's plenty of strange maltiness which is a bit tough to pinpoint: orange syrup?

Again, pine and orange on the palate. Very sweet, rich, and hardly bitter at all - at least for a 120 minute. Very different than any other beer I've had. The alcohol is exceptionally well hidden.

The feel is smooth and mouth-coating, and a bit cloying. The carbonation is nice - light and effervescent which this beer need.

This is dramatically more drinkable than expected. But, to be real, it is a 100% sipper, with consequences when under pressure to drink too fast. I was in a bit of a rush to make my dinner reservations, and this beer is tough to drink at anything faster than a slow sip.

The exception already noted, this beer gets better and better further through the bottle. I get the impression on both the nose and palate that the hops used are a little scattered and unfocused. It creates an experience which is a bit all over the place and extremely unclean. I like my hoppy beers to be clean (thus my preference for West Coast IPAs). This beer is well balanced, even fresh; and it is easy to see how this beer would change with cellar time. I'd like to try that at some point, and I do wish this were more available for me.

jpiper, Jan 31, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

I've wanted to try this beer for some time. Let's see if it's worth $10 for a 12-ounce bottle.

It pours a beautiful ruby red with a short foamy head and plenty of carbonation.

Wow, what an aroma! It smells of solvent alcohol and hops mixed with caramel. It's like nothing I've smelled before.

The taste is sweet with massive flavors of alcohol, leaving a strong warming in the throat after the swallow. There is a powerful citrus flavor that becomes apparent after several swallows.

The body is super smooth, thanks to the super-high ABV.

Overall this is a special occasion beer. Its qualities are so extreme that it's hard for me to compare it or judge it fairly. It reminds me of Avery's The Beast Grand Cru and their Samael's ale.

If you like strong beers, you need to have 120 Minute IPA.

Shaw, May 28, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Big nose on this one. Tangerine, mango, papaya, pineapple, lime rind, and caramel. All these flavors are easily picked out as none of them exhibits dominance over the others. Very well balanced on the nose.

Visible carbonation rising through the orange beer. It actually has a head which I am shocked to discover as it's only 18% alcohol, LOL. Lacing is minimal, but I expected none, so thats better than nothing.

Booze right up front, but it is controlled as this sweetness punches through. The tropical flavors outperform just about anything else in the taste here. It's as if I had just drank a tropical smoothie with caramel syrup laced within it.

120 Minute IPA is thick too, sticky sweet. The carbonation is at a moderate level, allowing the beer to self clean itself off your palate. It's a great beer for sure, but one that I don't see myself buying too often because of the $1/oz price tag.

tlazaroff, Jul 24, 2012
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

This beer poured a very nice, hazy amber from the bottle. It left little head and what little there was dispersed pretty rapidly.

Smell is very strong on hops. Like being in a field of hops with the smell of hops being piped in from some other hops field. Of course with hops there's a little pine scent to it at well.

Wow, so ok, not what I expected at all. As it turns out this is a pretty sweet beer. Not like any other IPA I've ever had. It gets an 'A' for uniqueness, but a 'B-' for the style. Again, strong on hops flavor, minus the bitterness. Really, it's like sweet hops, it's hard to distinguish much else.

Mouthfeel was a bit of a let down as well. There's a reasonable amount of carbonation, but the beer still feels like is a bit too syrupy for an IPA.

Overall this is a reasonably drinkable beer, and at 21% abv, one or two of these and you're down anyway. I'd drink it again for sure.

Nowhereman529, Aug 20, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Deep ruby red with a huge off white head that sticks around remarkably for such a strong beer.

S - Spicy, peppery hop aroma. A lot of corriander, pepper, chili, and smokey herbal notes. This kind of smells like an indian grocery store (I mean that in a good way).

T - Odd sharp bitterness is very powerfull. Sweet, malty, and a bit sour. It has distinct alcoholic warmth in the finish.

M - Thick and syrupy with moderate carbonation. I little bit of astringency in the back of the mouth.

D - It is always hard to give a drinkability rateing to a beer this unreasonably strong, but overall this is a solid beer. Many "extreme" beers are almost undrinkable in my opinion but this goes down relatively easy, the only fault is the mouthfeel which is syrupy and a bit unpleasant. The high alcohol is kept in check by other flavors and the smell is quite extraordinary. I have to say this is one of the best truely extreme beers that I have had, from Dogfish Head or anyone else.

nickfl, Aug 14, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -2.7%

Split a 2009 bottle with my brother on Xmas Eve. Poured into Duvel glasses. Not a lot of carbonation left, but decent lacing. Smell was sweet and hoppy. Flavor was pretty potent still for a beer a few years old. Very malt and hop forward. We both thought it was edging towards becoming a barleywine in terms of characteristics. Quite easy going down, so mouthfeel was good. Extremely tasty beer, but it's a tad hard to justify the pricetag. Trying it once on a special occasion is good enough for me.

morebeergood, Dec 26, 2012

pbsmooth, Dec 14, 2011

DanGeo, May 30, 2013

MaxT, Jul 28, 2013

npala86, Aug 07, 2013

SkiBum22, Dec 04, 2013

ripocceschi, Sep 15, 2012

$14 for a twelve ounce 2004 bottle at Dogfish Head Alehouse in Maryland.

I expected this beer to be harsh, and a colossal hop blast, but I was pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong on both accounts.

It pours a dark murky golden. As it is a 21% alcohol beer, obviously a lot of that alcohol is present in the nose.

The taste is suprising. It is very smooth and highly drinkable. No choking, gasping, or yuck-face here. Extremely impressive. It almost seems like the 60 or 90 min IPAs have a more noticeable hop character than this one.

I would love to have this more often, if it wasnt so damn expensive. But (the prices) arent ever going to lower on this beer, so suck it up & enjoy your $10+ twelve ounce bottles.

chOAKbarrell, Dec 03, 2005

Toasty, Jun 18, 2014

rwalker_sfg, Jan 14, 2013

bigdipip, Nov 21, 2011

dgfool, Sep 13, 2013

VernonKell, Nov 26, 2012

I finally found this one. Light brown pour with a thick, short white head. Huge hoppy aroma, with resin, wood, pine, and earthiness. Massive, syrupy hop flavor, with more caramel and malt than expected (or wanted). Big resiny character, with little to no grapefruit/citrus. As good as this was, it was anticlimactic. Maybe I just built up the expectations to be too high. Great, but there are better IIPA's out there.

magictrokini, Dec 05, 2008