120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,108 | Hads: 7,372
4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

the holy grail for hop heads.... i can't tell you guys how many dozens of beer shops over the tri-state area i've been to, to get this beer. i had to trade a fellow member for this beer but it is hopefully well worth the wait...

as soon as i crack the bottle a quick pop of air comes out and i'm bombared with piney hop smell, its just overwhelming. i can smell it 3 feet away from the glass after i pour it. has a cloudy orangish haze to it with a small head and mild carbonation. my mouth is watering in excitement..

taste makes me giggle. i'ts just absurd. i can't even move my fingers to type what i'm feeling. its like losing your virginity. it has a very sweet first impression. like candy, in the mouth it is very thick, almost syrupy, my lips are chapped cause of the cold weather and the alcohol burns them its so strong. i can even feel the alcohol warmness in my stomach and up and down my throat, its unlike anything i've ever had.... ever
small sips is best cause it is very very strong. back to the smell it is almost mediciny, compared to every other strong ipa i've had (founder devil dancer, breckenridge 471, dfh 90) it just blows it out of the water...
i literally could write about every sip, but i wont bore you all.

the mouthfeel is exquisite, i love thick beers, reminds me of the old ale from Sam Adams homebrew contest last year. very thick and almost creamy.

the only negative part about this beer (besides the fact its not possible to get in Illinois, at least i can't find it, is how strong it is, which makes it great. i can only have one, even if i did have more than one, i think after i finish this i'll be going to bed.

cheers and thank you lawyer3624 (1,691 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

Beer poured a deep orange with very thin white head due to the high alcohol. Very clear and very nice.

The aroma is of tangerines (from hops), malts and alcohol.

The taste is sweet and full of citrus notes, mostly tangerine with a bit of grapefruit tartness balancing the sweetness slightly. Lots of alcohol warming from the lips to the stomach, but not much alcohol flavor it's over powered entirely by the malty sweetness and wonderful hop flavors.

This beer is very thick and heavy. Unlike anything I have tried.

This is a big boy beer no dought. If you don't drink 10% + beers on a regular basis this will knock you out. I couldn't get enough and was disapointed only in how fast I was able to drink it and wonder if I would ever spend $10 on a 12oz. bottle of beer again. (780 characters)

"Holy grail of hopheads"
A: What a nice looking beer! A thin and creamy off white head floats gently on top of a rich and crisp amber body. Small bits of sticky lacing coat the glass.

S: Strong caramel, pungent esters, sweet hops and surprisingly subtle spirit.

T: First off, let me say wow. This was completely unexpected. I'll start by saying that this beer rates on the IBU scale around 120. You really have to taste this beer to believe it, but it's incredible. The first thing to hit my taste buds is sweet syrup and baked pear. It rolls to the back of my tongue with a fruity and complex hops...It's not even a bite. The hops are extremely pleasant in this beer. Ah, there are some great flavours in here. Raisons and candied apples mix into this full bodied and fruity IPA, in turn giving it a sherry taste.

M: The mouthfeel compliments the beer wonderfully. The carbonation is minimal, the bubbles are small, and thus the thick syrupy texture isn't broken.

Drink: I am blown away, elated, and getting a bit tipsy. I have a found my new favorite beer. I expected something far more volatile and bitter, but for such a behemoth of a brew it is incredibly well balanced. Surprisingly enough, I would recommend this beer for someone who is just getting into India Pale Ales. I'm looking forward to aging a bottle of this and seeing what comes out. In retrospect, I haven't been drinking at all for about five months. This is really starting to get to my head....maybe this is why I like this beer so much. Either way, I will buy it again tomorrow and I would recommend you get your hands on this peculiar and truly unique beer as soon as you can.

Cheers! (1,663 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

This is one of the craziest brews I have had so far. I had such high expectations for a beer that I thought I was going to have, then after the first sip those expectations were blown out.

The appearance is a good orange amber color. With a strong pour I could barely pull off a one finger head. The bottle is absolutely beautiful, and the yield sign on the cap is there for a reason. When moved around the glass the alcohol just left a residue of pure silk.

The smell was just out of this world. It smells like fresh grinded hops with sugar. I could not smell the alcohol, but rather a booziness to the whole feeling. When swirled in a wine glass the aroma rushes in and takes control. Amazing.

The taste was nothing of what I was expecting. It has a taste of sugar, and alcohol, and light candy taste. The alcohol taste is not hidden, but rather accompanied by the sugar, and it just makes for an unique experience. Maybe a little too much sugar for my palate.

The mouthfeel was nuts. You could take a sip, then wouldn't have to take another because the flavor of the brew stays and evolves on the palate. Imagine getting a deep tissue massage on your tongue, that is what its like.

The drinkability is not the greatest for some obvious reasons. There is an alcoholic boozy aspect that changes the name of the game. This is technically like drinking four or five brews, in the same time it takes you to drink one. It is a little too sugary and a hop characteristic is not as prevalent as I was hoping. I would for sure buy another, but getting this one was like pulling teeth off a tiger. Amazing brew from an amazing brewery.

(1,641 characters)

GLASS: Tulip Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
BOTTLED ON: 04/17/08

Dark copper/light amber in color. Nice two-finger head of light tan foam. Very good retention and the lacing is nicely sticky.

Good hops aroma. Floral, grassy and slightly piney. Big sweet caramel maltiness. Light booziness, though not as much as expected as expected, considering it's over-the-top ABV. Big butterey biscuits.
Very sweet and hoppy, overall.

Mmmmm. Good stuff.
More like a barleywine with hoppy undertones than an IPA, really.
Notes of caramel and raisin from the big malty backbone. Bits of tropical fruit and hints of vanilla. Nice underbelly of big hops spice. Molasses mixing with grapefruit, sprinkled generously with various spices. An odd combo, to be sure, but one that I like.
The alcohol provides a nice warming touch, while not being in the way of your enjoyment.

This is a brew with a body that I can love. Big, thick and viscous. It coats the inside of your mouth, along with everything else, on it's way down. Oily, almost verging on sludge-like. Excellent!

This is extremely drinkable, IMO. Sadly, at 21% abv, or thereabout, most people could only down two or three in a sitting before being unable to function.
The alcohol content, while I totally love it, brings down it's overall drinkability score.
But please Dogfish and Sam, never EVER change (or stop making) this brew!
Truly excellent. (1,404 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

L: Dark candy orange color. The head is off white and it disapears immediately.
S: Very strong bisquity smell. There is a fiarly big malty sweetness as well. Grapefruit hops pop out right at the end.
T: Really sweet. Candied apricot sweetness. All other flavors get tangled up with the candy.
M: Super thick and syrupy. Gives it a warming. feeling.
D:Obviously a huge fricking beer. People will be suprised that it is not explosive with hops. Definitely a different brew. I love it. (482 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured into a snifter and received a real nice head that stuck strong for a few minutes. Beautiful copper tone on this one. Once the head settles out, a little ring is left and the foam just sticks to the sides. No visible chunks on the first pour but not completely clear either.

The aroma is very floral and sweet like nectar. Fruity hop tones come through nicely. Orange peel...

The taste: Surprisingly sweet... Fruity and floral hop notes dance with the sweet maltiness. Sour oranges. Fresh green herbal notes. A touch of cough syrup. Biscuit. Caramel. The finish is complex with hops and dries the palate, leaving you wanting more. A nice warmth from the ethanol on the roof of the mouth is there but not overpowering. The carbonation plays an important role here, leaving a dry, crisp finish.

Dangerously drinkable! This one was bottled just over a month ago, and is much hoppier than I remember the last one I had, which must have been quite aged. This one is quite hoppy, but very balanced with the sweetness and the alcohol. I am stocking up on this batch! (1,075 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

A: Mahogany, toffee, pours very viscous, lots of lacing
S: Cherry, dry oaky, prune, raison, nuts, pistachio, almond, a bit boozy
T: Pine nuts, boozy but not hot, drinks like a port, lots of cherry, very sweet but not cloying, appropriate for what you're drinking
M: very viscous, well carbonated, drinks like a port or sherry
O: this is an incredible beer. it was bottled at the first part of 2011 and we opened it half way through 2013. having had a fresh 120 on tap as well as in a bottle I would say this brew takes on a style of its own a part from an IPA. We did not note ANY hop character what so ever, but many different types of sweet tastes.

All in all this brew is stupendous, which is why I pick up a 4 pack every time it comes out.

can't wait to open an even older one! (784 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

After giving up beer for Lent, I had to sample a big gun to celebrate being back to the world of hops. Poured a copper-orange color, white head that dissipated fairly quickly. Hoppy, fruity aroma. Taste is, well, like nothing I've ever tasted before. I can tell that it's got a good amount of hops, but it has none of the bitterness or astringency I associate with traditional hop-bombs. The fruity-citrusy flavor predominates, with a complex mouthfeel that is smooth, sweet, rich and hoppy all at the same time. The alcohol is incredibly well hidden; if I had not read this beers reviews I would never have guessed the ABV. Unfortunately it's price puts it out of range for regular consumption, but definitely something worth sampling for the true beer fan. (758 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

This is the beer that single-handedly opened my eyes to the world of beer that I didn't know I was missing. Definitely a starter drink and not to be tapped after 40 beers.Purchased a bottle at a local store in Brooklyn and poured into a glass.

Appearance: Stunning golden-maroon color with a thin head

Smell - blast of hops with a vodka/bourbon aroma

Taste - so incredibly intense. Hints of bourbon give it a whiskey-like taste.

Mouthfeel - Perfect IPA thickness (the only word I can think to use)

Definitely not for everyone, but everyone needs to try it at least once. This is a beer that you can't judge immediately. You'll be set back by the abrasiveness at first, but as you develop your relationship you'll have your ups and your downs throughout. In the end you'll be left feeling perplexed yet enlightened and wanting (maybe needing) more. Definitely a starter drink and not to be tapped after 40 beers. (918 characters)

The 120....

Hazy dirty orange in color with a thick and dense head. Sticky lacing clings to the glass. A pretty solid looking ale.

Not the most pleasant aroma. Suprisingly weak for what i was expecting. Old lemons, apricot, alcohol, tropical juice and grapefruit were easy to inhale.

Like a BIG sweet barley wine. Thick and warming mouthfeel. Felt very heavy in the mouth and certainly not for the timid. I cannot stress enough how well the alcohol is hidden. This can sneek up on you...fast! If I were to have guessed without knowing the ABV beforehand I would have said 11-12%. Not as hoppy as I had it built up to be but certainly really fucking tasty.

WOW! (673 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

I've had a lot of Dogfish ales and this is the best one yet! The taste doesn't like the 18% ABV that it is. Very impressed with the price compared to other beers in the ABV range. The hops taste is strong but not overwhelming. Overall great beer and very satisfying! (266 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%

A: Poured a nice golden amber/orange with a thin head.

S: Very strong dried apricot and citrus aroma, gave way to a rather strong alcohol waft when swirled in the glass.

T: Very smooth and full flavored, sweet with a warming alcohol finish. The first dinks were fruity with hints of citrus, after I had a chance to warm a bit; it gave way to a very sweet honey and raisin flavor.

M: Very thin mouthfeel due to the high alcohol content and low carbonation. A small sip went a long way to coat all of your taste buds.

O: A great beer to try. Not only is a great tasting, but it a great conversation piece to sit and share with a friend. (640 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's nice when you realize that your palate may have been untrained the first time you experienced a certain beer. I recall submitting a post about the only beer I ever drain poured. DFH, forgive me. My best guess is that I didn't check a bottled on date when I danced with this devil more than 7 years ago. Despite claims that it ages well, I am digging the hoppy experience I'm getting from a super fresh bottle. One whiff and a bed of hop cones made their way up the nasal cavity. That intensified with the first sip, featuring multiple layers of citrus notes on steroids, tethered with a honey-like sweetness that conditioned the effervescence of the warming alcohol. Fresh baked bread, so doughy and sweet -- this brilliant mothereffer is one exceptional treat. Hats off to Sam and his entire crew. I am sorry that I revisited this world-class beverage with reservations. My palate just did a flawless rendition of Beethoven's unreleased symphony. This beer is larrrrrrrrge!!! (981 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Updated review of a bottle marked 9/19/11
DFH 120 Mins.
Very hazy amber pour into my snifter. Barely any head. Rich in appearance. Great velvety lacing.
Smells like far-away citrus, a distant burn, a large beast with big malts and big everything else ipa. While barely a large aroma to decipher, it's amazing the alcohol is so muted under my nose, as we all know it's there big time.
Taste is what it always is (as in prior below review). What else can I say, but this grows on me more each time I decide to open one.

Pours a sparkling amber with thick layer of particles/ little bubbles throughout my chalice. Body looks great, but the head is short-lived.
Smells oaky, sweet malts, syrupy citrus (orange peel to me), some pine. Nice but subtle. I cant believe im not picking up alcohol here, esp. when im about to taste 18%
Wow what a big beer. This is my second time trying it, and I think I like it more this time around. There's an intense rush off the bat. A bold sweet cognac burn that becomes a smooth & bitter orange-like citrusy finish, tingly all the way. This time around I like how the hops react with everything else to create a unique feeling. Syrupy, but very well balanced overall and smoothly warming for such a strong beer. I wish somehow the hops were even more present in the taste, as I know they were in making this beer. For what this is, it is well-made. Sporadic lacing. Something here reminds me of Devil Dancer (only as far as that beer's ambition is concerned), but this has better balance with malt backbone, and better hop-interplay. I also enjoy what citrus presence is here, and again DFH does a great job balancing malt and hops on this large scale (with the Founder's example i just mentioned, I felt indifferent because it's tough for me to dig big sweet IPAs that are mainly malt forward/cloying). But 120 Minute succeeds in its attempt while avoiding the aforementioned.
A once-in-a-while-treat (this bottle was stamped as being bottled in 2012), the few bottles I have remaining I'm going to age another year or so in order to see what might evolve. (Prior reviewed as 4, 4, 4, 4, 4) (2,131 characters)

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5oz draft pour into a snifter. I was surprised by the initial foamy white head, but it quickly diminished, as did the lacing as I went. Very drinkable for 18%, but a bit of a mediciny booziness. Worth a try, but at $1 an ounce, not the best bang for the buck in the double/triple ipa category. (295 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%

Bottled, received in trade. Holy schnikes!! This is one mother mama of a beer. My first 120 experience and I'm well pleased. Aroma is enormous, sweet and complex. Not much of a head and it's certainly a heavy brew. The flavor, this is nectar for the elites palate. Big fruit, with some honey like sweetness. Lingering flavor of hops and pine. The flavor invades every nerve in your mouth. Criminey, 21%!?!?! Geez, 2 sips and I can already feel a buzz. At that high of alcohol I'm surprised it doesn't burn like a whiskey or something, it's pretty darn smooth.
DFH, please get California distribution!! (603 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Was lucky enough to have a bottle of 2012K given to me by a fellow BA. This was served chilled in wine glasses between 5 of us. Poured a much lighter color then I was expecting for being 18%. The nose was a little boozy, but I could smell the IPA behind it. The taste is not what I was expecting at all. It was DELICIOUS! The booze didn't come out in this one and the hops were still incredibly tasty. This was a white whale for me, having always wanted to try it. It was a real joy to try and this was the favorite of everyone out of the 5 rare's that we tried. (562 characters)

Poured a 12 oz bottle into my snifter

Poured a headless amber honey, with peach accents. Though lacking any big head, there are some suddy sides, with minimal lacing. The aroma from the 120 minute though, started billowing out of the bottle as I opened it. This is one of the strongest smellers I have ever witnessed. Aromatics range from potent, sweet alcohol, apple, raisin, and pine.

Man is the taste complex. The brew is extremely full bodied with a slight viscosity. Flavors run from sweet fruit notes like white grapes, to honey, to an extremely warming alcohol finish. So slight grapefruit hopiness emerges at the the finish. I really enjoy the flavor of this guy despite the big ABV.

I really loved this, however, after about 6 ounces I was satisfied, as she really is a doozey in terms of ABV and flavors. (817 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%

This is a Pink GRAPEFRUIT bomb! The hops come on so strong that they become super sweet. This much less perfumy or vegetal than most hops, this is the uber-sweet grapefruit style of hops. Less flower, more fruit.

Ever wonder why this doesn't come bomber size? Think high ABV. Think overwhelming ABV.

A flower festival extravaganza. It is hops madness. Think of this as the hyper-hippy chick that has flowers in her hair. And you want to taste each and every one before you pass out.

Fresh, this is way too strong and completely un-nuanced. Age at least a year to bring all the flavors together and get them to coalesce into a fine marriage. (643 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was saving this beer but we got some where i work so i couldn't help but buy 2 more :P
A - copper amber redish, even a golden amber red (Lacing on the glass is pretty decent

S - very sweet, strong sweet fruits with a after smell of hops.

T -amazing! whoa this is like a orange cognac, very sweet like a pineapple juice type deal with a hoppy finish. FIrst taste though come in almost like a orange candy type deal but that sweet sour fruit Cognac comes well though.

M - perfect :) alcohol does come out a lot though

O - amazing beer! i'm drinking it as i type it, with a IBU level of 120+ i thought it was gonna be very hoppy but is really isn't i'm thinking it had to do something with the aging procress because its a very sweet beer. well worth the 13 dollar i spent on this one

Serving type: bottle (811 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this one before on the fly but wanted to take a better look since coming here to BA.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tall tulip glass. Hazy golden amber with thin head and light lacing. Incredibly tiny bubbles but a good amount of them.

Smells of sweetened medium roast malts, cirtusy apricots, brown sugar, and even a little bit of cocoa. WOW this has a lot of things going on. It's difficult even putting a finger on some of the smells since I will type and put it up to my nose and find different things about it. Really complex and not nearly as hoppy as I thought it would be, but in no way is that a bad thing.

Overall an amazing beer and well worth the $13 I paid for a 12oz bottle. (703 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +17.1%

2004 vintage. This is the first time I've had a fresh 120, all other times they were at least a year or two old. I gotta say I like this one fresh.

It pours golden honey colored with a shaggy white head that quickly fades, leaving thick trails of lace in my Delerium tulip. A swirl around the glass shows that it is a thick, viscous brew.

It smells like I'm in a flower garden here. Super bright, floral and orangey citrus hops dominate the nose. Like honey drenched hop flowers, it is a combination of sweet and spicey.

Awesome upfront burst of malt sweetness quickly overshadowed by intense floral, citrus, candied fruit, clover honey, and pinecone flavors. Very deep and complex hops are the highlight.

Mouthfeel is thick, oily, and coating. Finish is sweet fade into hop oblivion. Alcohol is warming, but does not steal the sceen.

Like I said, I like this much better than the cellared bottled I've had. It's far less sweet, and has a lot better hop profile. I think another 3-4 months may help round it out and mellow the heat a bit, but it tastes pretty damn amazing now! (1,093 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

First off even before the served info,extra thanks to Susdog for sending me this beer which I always wanted to try. OK, served into my favorite large tulip gold rimmed glass from a 12oz brown long neck bottle with a crimped on cap.

Mirky,glowing reddish/golden color,apricot nectar-like color. 1" thick,creamy head with good retention,some tightly knitted strings of bubbles surging to the surface from the sides and center of the glass.
Spotty lacing with some small curtians of lace clinging to the sides of the glass. Constant layer of foam with a never die attitude always on the top of the beer. Gotta love it!

Intense hop aromas, lots of pine and citrus,pineapple,sweet carmell maltyness,burnt syrupy aromas. A candy-like aroma,a slight boozy aroma,stings the nostrills a bit,you know the alcohol is in there. Still a very tempting aroma,not an aroma for the weak at heart.

Wow! Intense hop taste very piney/citrusy great pineapple taste,lots of sweet carmell tastes a great burnt taste to the carmell.Very sugary,reminds me a bit of cotton candy. Lots of candied flavors to the taste.Amazing balance to all the intense tastes,the balance is the key to this beer as far as i'm concerned.If the balance was a bit off this beer would really suffer in the taste department,no problem here.Lots of boozyness here as expected, don't have a problem with it and it is not offensive to me.Resiny and sugary in a good way, this beer just pushes the limit for me but just never exceeds it. A real palate buster,my tongue will never be the same again. Thanks,Ted

Thick,chewy,cloying,Whatta ya expect? A pleasure for the taste buds.
This beer was better than I could have even imagined.
A very balanced taste throughout. A nightcap beer, by no means a starter beer. The drinkability for this beer was astounding,would never think this beer would be as drinkable as it is.I wanted to savor it as much as I wanted to slam it. ABV 21.00% would never know it,was a bit fraid to give this one a try,now I'm glad I did. Thanks again,Ted
Send me this beer anytime !! (2,069 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery all hail to this amazingly revolutionary brewery that push the envelope and shake the industry up to keep things exciting. Here is one of the finest Imperial IPAs I have come into contact with 120 minutes of continously hopped amber goodness with an off white cream toned short lived head, but at 20% abv it's all good. Aroma contains a plethora off hop tones including those of the floral, pine cone, and citrus (grapefruit) varieties along with one very distinct alcohol nose butterscotch. The taste is strikingly sweet with overly ripened fruit tones apricot and plum notes very nice very hoppy, but amazingly balanced with one hell of a warming effect. Mouthfeel is syrupy and full carrying all of these flavors very nicely. The drinkability at 20% is straight rediculous and at 25.6 oz. beware don't crack a bottle of this by yourself because you might be tempted to finish it. (909 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery