120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
funkel81

10-07-2012 07:04:49 | More by Athabaska
maxpower

Missouri

1.13/5  rDev -72.2%

12 oz bottle pours a hazy orange copper with a small off white head that leaves some lacing in my glass, funny pine aroma like a mix of Pine-Sol cleaner and Off insect repellent. Super sweet orange, maple syrup and alcohol flavors. Full bodied with a thick sticky syrupy mouthfeel, finishes with a lingering sweetness. A 12 oz bottle is too much for me, after only a few sips I am done...way too sweet, hard to dump such an expensive beer but I have no choice.

02-13-2005 20:00:00 | More by maxpower
Krakistophales

Connecticut

1.15/5  rDev -71.7%

A: Pours copper color with very little head and just a bit of bubbles up top and some lacing.

S: Interestingly enough, it doesn't smell like hops at all. I'm picking up roast, coffee, toffee, caramel, candied fruit, curious spice notes like liquorice and anise, and a heavy sort of rum raisin cake smell.

T: Candied fruit, dark rum, raisins, caramel apple, maple syrup, molasses, brown sugar, cloying sweetness. This is complex in smell and taste, but in a way that's offensive to my palate. I just can't grow to like this. Maybe with age?

O: I was hoping for the holy grail for hopheads, but instead I get a barleywine that's been fortified with syrup and booze for 120 minutes. I'm sorry, but this is probably one of the worst beers I've had to drink, and I love other DFH stuff like 90 minute, WWS, Chateau Jiahu and others...but this just blows. Now I'm stuck with 5 bottles of this stuff. Anyone wanna trade?

07-03-2011 06:22:32 | More by Krakistophales
charliedango

1.2/5  rDev -70.5%

I'm under the impression at this point that my review is unfair as I believe I got an outdated bottle. There is an overwhelming taste of vinegar in this beer inducing gag reflex in every sip. I simply can't finish this beer. Again, I may have gotten a bad bottle.

06-09-2009 05:17:40 | More by charliedango
Jimbo07

Hawaii

1.2/5  rDev -70.5%

horrible, horrible beer. smells like really good nail polish remover. imo it's not hoppy. it's extremely floral. lots of cascade used i guess. anyway i'm pissed off by the fact i just paid 6 bucks for this disaster of a beer, and ended up pouring most of it down the sink. i am going to stick with the 60 and 90 which are complete opposites of this beer.

11-08-2009 17:29:59 | More by Jimbo07
alefish

06-24-2014 01:32:17 | More by alefish
Spica66

Indiana

1.25/5  rDev -69.3%

Got two of these in trade with randomdanger. Will, why didn't you warn me what I was doing? Shared with gwuilliums on his birthday 2010.

2009 vintage, poured into tulips.

A: Amber color with a thin head that hung around. Clear and slightly syrupy as you move the glass.

S: You have got to be KIDDING ME!! This beer is so sickly sweet smelling that I nearly could not bring myself to drink it.
Wow! It's supposed to be an IPA, right? Smells like caramelized barleywine!

T: I have had many, many cough syrups that were less fusel and not nearly as sickeningly sweet as this [beer].

M: Super syrupy. Cloying does not begin to describe this!!

D: After a second drink to see if we could swallow it a second time, (we couldn't) spit and pour into the trees. I hope it doesn't kill my tree...

11-04-2010 17:52:30 | More by Spica66
jfcaa193

Connecticut

02-14-2012 01:43:00 | More by jfcaa193
jt31914

1.3/5  rDev -68.1%

A: Decent color. More amber than pale, but considering the style that's typical. Not much head, little retention.

S: Straight up rubbing alcohol mixed with some sickly barley sweetness. Honestly no hop aroma to be found.

T: This is a mess. It is overly sweet, has NO hop flavor (if you think this has hop flavor please tell me what hops you're getting: Centennial? No. Cascade? No. This tastes like robitusson mated with KY Jelly. I would honestly rather drink goat's piss than have this again. It is NOT polished, NOT balanced, and is just NOT well done. Just because a beer is big and has bold flavors doesn't make it good; Star Jones is big and bold, that doesn't mean I like her...

M/D: Feel is slimy and overly thick, and this is as drinkable as fish eyes mixed with camel spew.

11-07-2010 06:13:48 | More by jt31914
1sophrosyne1

1.3/5  rDev -68.1%

This 2013 iteration was consumed at the Tap House over 20 minutes.

For all the hops, there's very little scent of them. I get some toffee, caramel, rum raisin and a hint of fennel. It's funky in a way that ain't funky...And the strangeness progresses to bad...

It tastes of spoiled maple syrup, molasses, and a sweet hay. It might have some complexity to comment on, but I can't stick with it long enough to find what's interesting. The hops have gone well past bitter and dominate in an untoward manner...with sticky essential oils. This is such an off-putting unilateral experience, I struggle to consume it.

The mouthfeel is heavy and medicinal, making the poor flavor harder to tolerate, because it doesn't go away as rapidly as I'd hope. For all the alcohol, it's not very hot and desperately needs more carbonation and spice to cut it.

I expected a wildly spicy hopbomb, but this is a syrupy fortified, chewy wine--a dessert wine that I don't deserve! What happened to the 120 this year? It's truly awful.

07-24-2013 22:11:45 | More by 1sophrosyne1
terrabyte

Wisconsin

1.35/5  rDev -66.8%

This poured a very cloudy orange color. Almost half the glass was full of foam. Careful pouring this.

Although there was a quick frenzy of smells when I first poured this beer, it subdued into almost nothing quite quickly. As I waited for the foam to settle, the smell settled down to a dull fruity musk.

The flavor will make you stop what you're doing. Even if all you're doing is drinking beer. I'm immediately reminded of "Four O", a malt liquor by La Crosse brewing that is ranked at 10% ABV. It's high dextrose content gave off a solvent and fuel like flavor. While that beer tried its best to mask that flavor, this beer fails at it. I'm still not finished drinking this beer, and I've gone off and read about 20 reviews, 3 beer style reviews, and read all my email since I started the bottle and this review. I've been making bitter beer face the whole time.

This beer is too thick, too sugary, too sweet, too strong. And here I thought I was going to be hopped to death? The hop flavor takes a back seat to the syrup flavor.

This won't stop me from buying another bottle and hiding it in the basement for a decade. After all, it does say on the side of the bottle:

"What you have here is the holy grail for hopheads. This beer is continually hopped over a 120-minute boil and then dry-hopped every day for a month. Enjoy now or age for a decade or so."

10-11-2006 04:41:47 | More by terrabyte
Hellabeerguzzler

1.35/5  rDev -66.8%

Looked good enough. Poured nice and rich with hearty color and top. I should have stopped there. I know this is supposed to be constructive but this is not for me.

The smell is of medicine. Cough syrup, malts, hops a little line pine-cleaner.

The taste is worse than the smell. Is this really a DIPA? A TIPA? Tasted like an overly sweetened malty boozy barley wine with some hops thrown in (or pine-scented cleaner). It was not refreshing and I couldn't even nurse it. It's just not a good flavor. Perhaps they need more testing of what's leaving the brewery? Or maybe it's just a high alcohol gimmick? I'm a hophead, IPA lover.

This is a beer you drink on a dare. It's not drinkable. Maybe put a shot of it in some seltzer water.

02-09-2011 08:31:21 | More by Hellabeerguzzler
chicagoish

1.4/5  rDev -65.6%

Anybody who's had a colonoscopy knows how hard it is to drink the prep. You hold your nose and do anything possible to distract yourself from the thick sickenly sweet, perfumely, pungent, syrup that's about to enter your body. I find myself doing the same with this brew. The sweetness is too much to take. The smell is not pleasant, and the mouth feel, combined with the above conspires to make the whole experience unpleasant. I tried really hard to finish the bottle, but alas, it's down the drain.

09-05-2009 22:41:13 | More by chicagoish
Arbitrator

1.43/5  rDev -64.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Part of a vertical from 2003 to 2009, minus the 04. Thanks to Mark (mfielden) for bringing half the bottles. Thanks to tprokop7, Uwftke26, and drabmuh for supplying my half in trades. Thanks!

I'm reviewing the '09 here.

A: Pours a clear amber body, with a surprising cap on the brew. It retains longer than expected for a beer of this ABV.

S: We started with the 09 and worked backward. The aroma of this one alone nearly killed my desire to go forward. Solventy paint thinner, perfumey, citrus hops... It's like grapefruit soaked in bottom shelf vodka. I'm not sure I understand how anyone would sniff this and think, "We can bottle it and sell it!" Why? Why would you do that?

T: Again, a perfumey, citrusy, extremely fusel-y experience. This really isn't my beer at all when fresh. It's sweet, boozy, harsh.

M: Chewy, full-bodied, bracingly boozy. Harsh is actually an understatement.

D: This was worth it for the novelty alone, but even my small pour was a chore off this fresh bottle. This challenges drinkability. I would not have this beer again. Vile stuff.

04-30-2010 10:29:17 | More by Arbitrator
Morgan-makes-Cloud

1.43/5  rDev -64.9%

I had this on tap at noc noc in San Francisco. I really wanted to try a triple IPA even though, honestly I was not fond of the 90min Dogfish - truth be told, not too fond of Dogfish brewery as a whole. Watched them on Brew Masters and kind of found their brewer to be a douche.

Anyway the beer was served in a wine glass

no head whatsover, not even a lil lip bumper.

tasted so overwhelmingly like alcohol - it had none of that IPA hop bouquet that I look for.

Took awhile to drink - after the first few sips the burn was so much that I felt like I needed a nice refreshing IPA to use a a chaser for this beer.

Really it tasted more like an amalgamation between brandy and whiskey that's sparkling. What IPA taste was there was more Belgium style.

Anyway, won't waste my money again.

Cheers

10-13-2012 22:47:50 | More by Morgan-makes-Cloud
SpeedwayJim

1.45/5  rDev -64.4%

Shared by a roommate that wanted to give this one a try. 12oz bottle (not sure of the vintage). 4oz. pour into a snifter.

A: Healthy pour yields a 1 finger semi-fine white head with decent retention. Beer is a clear, pinkish-peach. Lacing is ringed and patchy with decent stick.

S: Vinegar and booze with the former being (unbelievably) more prominent than the later. Oh yeah, there's a bit of near undetectable citrus hops in the back.

T: Holy shit. A booze bomb all the way. This is more of a barleywine than an IPA. Alchohol is pervasive and vinegary characteristic makes me wanna puke. Hops are barely detectable, just like any other flavors that might've been present. Super sweet also with no hop bitterness. Finish is more of the same with an oily, boozy, sugary aftertaste that just won't go away.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation and oily in the mouth. No liveliness like I expect from an IPA, however it is a bit coarse around the edges. Finish is messy and aftertaste lingers.

D: I don't know how this is categorized as an IPA and not straight vinegar. Sour from the nose to the mouth but the sad thing is, I can barely get the sourness in the taste because its covered by the immense alcohol. Don't waste your money. I'm glad this was shared because if I had it myself, I would've sipped about an ounce and drain-poured the rest. DFH makes a line of great IPAs with their 60, 75, and 90 minute beers. However, for me, this is definitely the odd man out. Its horrible.

06-25-2010 03:15:01 | More by SpeedwayJim
ph2001

Oregon

1.48/5  rDev -63.6%

12 oz bottle in pint glass

light amber color that is very hazy. one finger of head that maintains pretty well. the taste is ridiculously boozy, sweet and nauseating. the thick sweetness coats your mouth and before you can work your way around that the booze kicks in. mouthpuckering and makes you cringe. in no way drinkable. could not even come close to finishing this one.

10-19-2008 17:43:05 | More by ph2001