120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,345 | Reviews: 2,196

This beer is ridiculous. The definition of cloying.

2.01/5  rDev -51.2%

120 Minute IPA is a nastily-sweet brew more closely related to Midas Touch--or even Liquor de Malt--than either the 60 or 90 Minute IPAs. It claims to be a hophead's dream, but would be more appropriately marketed to the asshole wine people that purposefully leave the price tag on their expensive bottle of Merlot. Yeah, there's some hops, but there's also a huge alcohol burn if you hold it in your mouth for more than a millisecond and a meady honey sweetness that is truly disgusting. The only redeeming flavor is the barest hint of nuttiness, but that's like complimenting John Merrick on his lovely tan.

2.01/5  rDev -51.2%

A: This pours a deep orange/red color. A very small head forms and leaves no lace.
S: Oh man, the alcohol overpowers the nose. Once I get past that, the aroma is very sweet. I can detect citrus, piney hops but way to much alcohol.
T: Alcohol from the start again. As been mentioned by other reviewers, the beer is very sweet and syrupy. Not much complexity.
D: Do I even need to say it? This is very hard to drink.

I was looking forward to finally trying this beer, but I don't see what all the hype is about. The alcohol is way to strong for this to be an enjoyable beer. I would like to try this after it has been aged for a while and the alcohol mellows out. I would not bother with this beer otherwise.

2.08/5  rDev -49.5%

A prime example of the adage that you can have too much of a good thing. Poured a rather odd, hazy golden - it almost had a thick, syrupy appearance. The flavor was an unusual syrupy sweet hoppyness, like a mutant barleywine. A brutal bittersweetness marked the finish, one that was simply hard to get down. No depth to the flavor, just hops boiled in simple syrup. The 60 and 90 Minute IPA's are good - this was, without a doubt, pushing the envelope too far.

2.08/5  rDev -49.5%

This beer punches you in the face. It may be for others but not for me with an over abundance of hops which is the idea with this one

2.11/5  rDev -48.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

A - Cloudy amber with orange highlights and a thin white head

S - Hops. Very citrusy.

T - Starts off very subtle. Slight malt sweetness is quickly replaced with hop bitterness with a hit of alcohol. A grassy/herbal aftertaste.

M - Highly carbonated.

D - A little too overwhelming for me.

Second try about a year later.

A - This time there is something sourish or medicinal in the aroma. It's entirely unappetizing and I am dropping my score. I almost don't want to drink this.

T - This time, there is nothing subtle. This bottle has to be contaminated. There's a harsh m flavor with a sour finish. People like this?

D - Way too overwhelming for me. Once more I ask, People like this?

I have to assume this beer is contaminated somehow. It's astringent, and unbalanced. It's sour.

I'm going to have to think twice about buying this again.

2.11/5  rDev -48.8%

i have herd alot about this beer

i read the bottle it claims to be the "holy grail for hop heads" all i tasted in this beer was SWEET and BOOZE a little hop after taste but i was truly unimpressed with this beer i really had to struggle to finish it and thats hard for me to do

Poured from a 12fl oz bottle into my pint glass

Pours a dirty hazy orange color(not to attractive looking if you tell me)with a one inch light fluffy slightly off-white head. The head resides on average leaving a slight white layer on top of the beer(not much)and around the edges of the beer.

You could smell the alcohol on this as I was pouring it into the glass. Besides the prominent alcohol, which is almost liquor like smell, I got dried stale fruit, especially oranges come to mind, slight grapefruit, and some piney/grassy hops. The alcohol really dominates though.

Man oh man, too much going on and not in a really good way either. Starts off with a strong alcohol like burn/bite(go-figure since its 21%)and in comes a very sweet sugar like taste to try and cover the alcohol which fails very much. Thats about all your going to get out of this beer. Alcohol is dominant all throughout this beer and leaves a liquor like burn way after you taken your sip(and I mean you will be sipping this bottle of alcohol).

Mouthfeel is very syrup like and teeth clinching with an alcohol burn. Definite sipper.

For those who dare to have another bottle of this, you sir just want to get drunk. For the taste and high alcohol and price tag, I will never, I repeat never drink this stuff again. I will stick to 60 and 90 minute IPA for sure.

2.12/5  rDev -48.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

My problem with DFH 120 is that it's presented as an IPA and it's VERY different from what I was expecting based on that broad categorization. I consider DFH 120 a heavily hopped barley wine, and if you open your first bottle expecting that you'll be better off in my opinion.

The appearance is a nice, hazy orange - it certainly looks like a good IPA.

Smell is sharp and boozy. The hops are there, but overpowered by sweet malty smells mixed with the sharpness of alcohol.

Taste follows the nose. This is a sipper - and a very boozy sipper at that. It's tough to get past the alcohol as it overpowers most of the other flavors. Not really surprising at over 15%, but again, this drinks like a barley wine - not an IPA. There's sweetness from the malts, and definitely hoppy bitterness, but any citrus or fruity flavors take a back seat to the booze.

Mouth is sticky, syrupy, and a little thick. The carbonation is there, but overwhelmed by how sticky it is.

Overall - if you love barley wines you'll probably dig DFH 120. If you (like me) love nicely balanced, smooth, and fruity DIPAs, like Heady, Abner, Ghandi, etc.. then you'll probably be disappointed like I was.

It's possible that the bottle I tried wasn't very fresh and that resulted in less hop flavor and more booze - but from what I've heard 120 is pretty boozy regardless. I'm glad I got to knock it off my list, but I won't be seeking out 120 again.

2.15/5  rDev -47.8%

Bottle. Gentle citric aroma. Huge syrupy thick flavour - spicky and shocking, almost revolting. Doesn't invite further investigation - in fact, the opposite. A gagging action comes into operation after a few sips. A true drain pour. A crude and excessive beer that doesn't taste as if it's been fully brewed out.

2.16/5  rDev -47.6%

Corked 750ml bottle- I really don't know about this. Super sweet, syruppy and sticky, unbelievable mega hoppyness, very in your face, which can be nice, but they've gone too far with this, almost undrinkable. Maple-fricking-syrup to the max, with heavy citrus and pine. Too much, i'm sorry (Bottle-GBBF 03')

2.16/5  rDev -47.6%

To cut to the chase - I'm rather disappointed. This beer is extremely expensive and not worth the money. I like expensive beer and wine - and often pay the price tag. This is the most overpriced item I've bought in beer, wine, or food.

From a very expensive bottle into an oversized wine glass.

Pours a dark burnt orange turing into an amber the lower the beer is in the glass. Half inch of yellow-white foam that dissipated immediately. No lacing.

Smells of pine, orange rind and other tree saps with a little clove. Interesting, but nothing remarkable. Seems very sweet, and there is no presence of alcohol. If I am to believe the 21% alcohol, it's hidden well.

Taste is very unbalanced, but has the elements of what could be an interesting beer. Mostly pine and sap (see mouthfeel for the other sap part of this beer) and a little bit of bitter orange and sour flavors. Nothing attractive about this beer - especially considering that there is very little food that would be good next to this.

I generally like beers that are refreshing, but that should be prefaced with the fact that I find a big Quad refreshing. But this beer is very poorly conceived for a drinker in mind. The beer is, quite frankly, like drinking sap. The mouth feel is sticky and there should be a great deal of carbonation to balance it, which there isn't.

This beer is an expensive experiment. If you like to try beers you might not like, go for it - but I'd strongly recommend sharing it.

I never pour drinks down the sink unless it's a ruined batch - whether it be beer, wine, or a cocktail. I poured the last half of this down the sink. First, in the hopes of salvaging this beer, I experimented with a plethora of ways of drinking this. First, I warmed the beer in my hands, then I chilled it again in the glass, then poured a bit into another glass and added carbonated water to thin it out and see what flavors remained. I also returned some to the bottle and shook it gently to get more of a flavor release. None of these things brought out any balancing characteristics, but revealed to me that I'm just not a fan of a beer that has been hopped for 120 minutes.

2.19/5  rDev -46.8%

2009 release aged for a year and poured into a tulip glass at cellar temperature.

A-Pumpkin bronze with filtered clarity and a thin white head that settles into a thin ring. Not surprising given the ABV.

S-Hops and turpentine. Somewhere behind all of this there is a hint of sweet caramel malt. Only a hint. This does not smell like something I want to put in my mouth.

T-Overpowering maple-like sweetness is the first impression, along with some dark fruits. The brew effervesces on the palate, and the hops kick in as this rolls over the tongue. Think Maple syrup with hop cones and grain alcohol thrown in and that pretty much sums it up. I was actually surprised and expected a much hoppier brew.

M-Full creamy mouthfeel with slight under-carbonation.

D-Ok, so much for the hype. I appreciate the uniqueness and can say I tried it. Bought two bottles and will give the other away as a novelty. I also ate a chocolate covered bug once, just to say I did. I think I enjoyed the bug much more than this.

2.19/5  rDev -46.8%

I am drinking a cold 12 oz poured into an Appalachian Brewing Co. tumbler.

Appearance: An auburn colored ale, this poured with a nice head and kept a residual amount of lace as the beer was consumed. It is translucent, with no sediment.

Smell: There are some light hop oils that I detect, but for the most part, I smell malts, lots and lots of malts, akin to a barleywine. For the beer advertised as the Holy Grail for Hopheads, this is more like the Messiah of Malts.

Taste: As with the smell, malts overwhelm any hop sensations throughout the sip. At the end of the sip, a bitterness of hops appears, but it is not sufficient to redeem this DIPA. On the bright side, the GIGANTIC, ENORMOUS, GINORMOUS ABV of approx 21% is not detectable.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel lacks any hop profile, which is disapoointing, as the 90 Minute IPA is a work of art. The malts sit nicely on the palate, but that is not typical of a DIPA.

Drinkability: The drinkability is redeemed by the masking of the ABV. One does not realize the high ABV when enjoying it, although that can easily get one in trouble.

Overall, this is an interesting creation from DFH. I enjoy the ale and recommend it. The low scores result from my attempt to review within the DIPA style.

2.21/5  rDev -46.4%

2011 vintage (20% ABV) bottle poured into flared pint glass.

A: The beer poured a golden yellow color with a very small head of creamy white foam. The beer was thick, and numerous strands of bubbles were racing to the surface. Heavy lacing clung to the sides of the glass.

S: My first thought upon putting my nose near the surface was "this smells like an alcoholic grapefruit." Along with the grapefruit, I get notes of apricot, caramel, paint thinner, Pine Sol and modeling glue. Wow, this is one combustible brew that I'm not very excited about drinking.

T: I felt like I was drinking carbonated Citron Vodka with a shot of melon liqueur, rubbing alcohol and Pine Sol. There is a trace of grapefruit, candied apricot and caramel in there, but it is completely drowned out by the sickly sweet taste and massive booziness.

M: Very low carbonation with a creamy but sickly sweet and sticky mouth feel. I honestly did not want to leave this in my mouth long enough to even figure out the mouth feel. The sharp flavors kill any redeeming quality to this beer. Lots of heat makes this simply horrendous.

O: My face was incredibly warm after drinking this, which is probably the most positive thing I have to say about the beer. There are flourishes of greatness hiding, but the alcohol really overpowers everything that is going on here. This is one whale that's not worth the effort to capture. I'm sure glad I didn't have to jump through any hoops to get my bottle other than walking into Whole Foods and finding it on the shelf. It's worth trying with a group of friends, but I feel that there is too much hype surrounding this at the moment. I can safely say that I never want to drink this ever again.

2.23/5  rDev -45.9%

Served on tap the the when pigs fly pizzeria in kittery, Maine. I'm afraid this beer is just too much for me.

Pours a relatively unimposing clear light amber color. Some white foam. Even the smell is subdued. Little pine, some malt, pretty empty.

The taste - whoa, what to say here.. Full on hop and alcohol assault, with forced cough syrup taste and mouthfeel. Is thick in my mouth, and quite heavy. It burns it burns.

I understand why this beer is brewed and why some might enjoy it, but I definitely did not. Found it to be virtually undrinkable.

2.23/5  rDev -45.9%

Clear, bronze-orange body. No head at first, so I did some "tall-thin pouring" (beer bottle one foot over the glass, pouring a stream); this resulted in the kind of roiling head formation one sees in a vigorously poured imperial stout. Head is almost tan, but too white to deserve the label. Very resilient, with foam that sticks to the glass like insulation.

Aroma is like a 60-Minute IPA that's gone off its meds.

A blast of hops juice. Mouthfeel is tremendously thick and chewy, slick and foamy.

Taste? OK, DFH, you have finally gone over the top. You are one of my top-tier breweries, and your 60-minute IPA is always welcome in my fridge (there's a six-pack in there right now). But, I could not drink your 120 Minute IPA. This is just too much. This is at least 30 minutes too much hopping. In fact, the entire beer is too much of everything. Too much alcohol, too much sweetness, too much hops, my tongue is so numb I feel like I just stuck it into an electrical outlet.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was alright as far as flavor, and the whole nine yards... except that it was an IPA. supposedly.
Maybe it's my unsophisticated palate but when someone brews an IPA and spends that much time hopping it. Usually they wouldn't go out of their way to add so much malt that it would basically mask it.
It pours nice, has a decent head and some lacing.
Smell is of malty sweetness and a bit of hops
Taste is almost pure malty sweetness and plenty of alcohol.
Mouthfeel.... I don't recall ordering a malted alcohol milkshake.
It was fine to drink once I cut my losses and said... well it's not what you were looking for. Just wasn't the IPA taste that I know and love.

2.23/5  rDev -45.9%

OK, let's start with the good things about this beer. The lacing and head were of acaliber that EVERY beer should aspire to obtain. The head was creamy and had a nice flavor, although it's gone now and I didn't write down anything specific that I tasted. The lacing stuck around until I washed out the glass. And that concludes my paragraph on the positive qualities of this beer...

...on to the negatives. For one, this beer is sickeningly sweet. I expected a load of full frontal hoppity and instead got corn syrup in my glass. To be honest, this beer hurts my tastebuds so much that I don't even detect any hops at all. 120 Minute even smells too sweet, and that's saying a lot coming from someone who'll try just about any spiced beer, stout, or "alcopop" (in the right situation) -- all sweet beverages. For another, this beer is extremely alcoholic, and I was beginning to feel it after only about 3 ounces. That's a feature of mixed drinks which I enjoy, but beers should cut me some slack in the drunkenness department.

All in all, I will never buy this beer again, and if I hadn't paid $10 for the bottle, I would have dumped it out.

2.24/5  rDev -45.6%

Living in Georgia, I always heard about it. Moving to new york i finally get to try it out. It was so strange that i tried it two nights in a row. it's like someone dumped turpentine into my brownies. smells great, looks good. tastes bad. big disappointment again from dogfish.

2.24/5  rDev -45.6%

Bottle courtesy of gunhaver.

Poured into a snifter. Burnt orange in color, lightening to persimmon when put against strong light. Half an inch of white head that dissipates to a ring and leaves no lacing.

Smell is heavy on the astringent nail polish, with just a little fruitiness.

Flavor is extremely sweet up front, with grapefruit liqueur and maple syrup. The harsh rubbing alcohol comes out in the finish.

Mouthfeel is very thick. Obviously a sipping beer. Carbonation isn't enough to power through the body, but it doesn't seem like any amount would.

Drinkability is obviously terrible.

2.26/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a descent golden color. The head is off-white and minimal. The smell is just awful, such that your head may recoil out of fear. The taste was not much better than the smell, the unmasked alcohol was not pleasant. The mouthfell was thick and sticky sweet. Not recommended, But if you are adventurous...

2.26/5  rDev -45.1%

Poured a murky dark amber with a smallish head. Aroma of hops and alcohol. Accents of booze, hops, and cough syrup. Mouthfeel likewise similar to syrup. Drank it slow and tried to think of it not as a normal beer, but this did not help. Way too sweet and viscous for my taste. A shame, as I was really looking forward to trying this beer. My dropping $12 on a 12oz is testament to that. A big disappointment all around.

2.26/5  rDev -45.1%

After trying the 60 Minute and the even better 90 Minute I was intrigued by this beer. To be honest, I was disappointed. The beer is way too sweet for an IPA in my opinion. The alcohol and malts completely overpower any of the hops. It may have lots of hops but the balance is definitely not there. Perhaps it would taste better after aging for years as the bottle suggests, but I'd rather spend my money on something that is drinkable now in not in ten years.

2.3/5  rDev -44.2%

Pours a clean orange-ish color with a small white head. In the aroma, well, it smells of nail polish remover. In the taste, dry, pine like hops and alcohol, with notes of nail polish remover. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry alcohol and small hop presence in the aftertaste. It is like nail polish remover/ rubbing alcohol, with a touch of pine hops.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery