120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 7,133 | Reviews: 2,126

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in to a snifter. I was lucky enough to find this at Lewis Bros. in Horseheads, NY. Fresh out of the fridge, I let this beer sit for about ten minutes before drinking. Bottled on 2/17/14.

A- The brew pours an opaque copper body with a little white frothy cap that hangs around for quite a while.

S- The aroma is so different than any beer I've ever smelled. I spent a good 5 minutes with my nose stuck in it. Yes, there is a bit of grapefruit and the typical DIPA stuff, but they take a back seat to a sort of sweet, woodsy aroma accompanied by just a little bit of alcohol presence. I can't hold back any longer, I just have to take a sip!

T- No amount of review reading can prepare you for the taste. Totally unique. My first sip was a big one, and I immediately noticed the alcohol. My next sip was a bit smaller and this time the hops really flexed their muscles. This isn't the "palate-wrecking" (for lack of a better term) type of hop character that a typical DIPA has. Here a powerful hop flavor of most pine sap mingles with a huge sweetness that tempts you to down the whole thing extremely quickly. The alcohol is there, but I notice less with each sip. The warming is quite nice.

M- Full-bodied to the max, especially as far as DIPAs are concerned. Light to medium carbonation. Thick and oily.

O- This beer should be a bucket list item for everyone. Not to be drank regularly, but enjoyed to celebrate an occasion or after a hard day's work. This thick mother F-er even sticks to your lips and you can taste the hops again after your sip! Just try it.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Golden amber in color with just about no head, but that is to be expected. Big-time hop aroma, floral, grassy, herbal, and grapefruit. Sweet malt and alcohol scents are also in there. Starts very sweet and rich, syrup-like. I thought this was an IPA...ok here we go. An underlying hop explosion that shows the full range of flavors that can come from this herb. Doesn't get overly bitter, but nicely showcases the flavors: citrus and grapefruit, floral, grassy, and earthy. Thins out a bit towards the end, plus a dash of fruitness. Alcohol makes itself known, but doesn't get in the way of this flavorful brew. Full bodied, rich and surprisingly smooth. Drinkablilty is scary, but you had better watch out.

High octane and very flavorful. I found this to be much more enjoyable then the WWS.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

** Special notes: Beer had been bottled for 6 months. Drank this bottle more on the "cold" side ~ 40 deg

I had been looking forward to trying this beer for a while and was finally able to locate a great store not too far away that carried it. I was a big fan of the 90 minute IPA, but was looking to try this more out of curiosity, than actually expecting a great taste.

I must say I was very surprised at the "drinkability" of this beer considering it's 21% abv. Prior to this, the strongest beer I have tasted was Dogfish Head's Immort Ale at 11%, which was also on the sweet side. I enjoyed it thoroughly but cannot justify giving it any higher than a 4 on the drinkability scale given that it doesn't go down "easy" compared to most beers.

I was very surprised at how sweet it tastes. Dogfish's 90 minute and 60 minute IPA have a much more typical IPA taste. I probably drank this beer at a lower temperature than intended, but it wasn't frosted by any means. I assumed I would be drinking it slowly so I gave it a little extra chill, so one can keep that in mind when reading this.

I agree with those who sense a "caramel-like" or butterscoth taste. Was very rich, and while the alcohol could be sensed, it didn't dominate the taste. I will definitely be trying this one again, perhaps at different ages. I'd like to get a hold of a few that have spent multiple years in safe storage. I'd definitely recommend it to those willing to spend $9 on a 12oz bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery