120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Lawnboy33

12-31-2013 23:16:38 | More by HopHeadRyan
Deconstructionis

West Virginia

1.53/5  rDev -62.5%

This beer had been lavishly praised by a friend but it can't be had where I live, so when I saw it on a trip, I bought a 4 pack. I was very disappointed (The price is absurd-- ahh, the wonders of marketing). I found it had no balance and the hops were so overpowering the only other flavor besides unadorned sweetness I could really distinguish was a strong raw alcohol. Rather than a malty flavor, it tasted more "woody" and sugary as if pine bark and molasses were part of the wort.

I was impatient and drank the first one after only a short stay in the fridge. The best description I could come up with would be ultra-sweetened hop tea mixed with grain alcohol added to a run of the mill IPA..

Maybe I got a bad batch but I did not think it was good at all. It was essentially undrinkable lukewarm and I had to chill it to the point my palate was numbed for it not to be unpleasant.

If we want to give points for extremism. that's one thing, but if tasting good and being pleasurable to drink are criteria this one fails.

08-25-2006 21:09:10 | More by Deconstructionis
ffejherb

1.58/5  rDev -61.3%

On tap at TJ's on 12/5/09 for their 6th Anniversary celebration.

A - Beautiful clear orange-colored body with ruby highlights and amber hues and half a finger of bubbly off-white head that reduced to a patchy veil and deposited minimal lace around the snifter.

S - Hmmmm... smells like solvent or kerosene or some kind of glue or nail polish remover. Think Silly String. You know that brightly colored, foamy stuff that you shoot out of an aerosol can? Unfortunately, yes. Now you get some idea of how nasty this smells. Some citrus peel/hop oil character attempts to claw its way through the overpowering gas-like fume to no avail.

T - Flavor is really hot, perhaps the hottest beer I've ever had in my mouth. This is ultimately extremely sweet and syrupy, and doesn't really scream hops at all. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even whisper hops. I hope for the sake of this beer's reputation that this was a bad batch, because I've heard that this beer is amazing on tap. Let me tell you, amazing this is not. Imagine (as bad as it sounds) drinking a glass of gasoline with a giant heap of sugar mixed in.

M - Mouthfeel is sweet and cloying beyond belief. Texture is syrupy and very sticky. There is virtually no hop bitterness on the palate at all.

D - Honestly, I would have drain poured this if I didn't pay over $6 for a snifter. Very, VERY disappointed with this offering on tap. 90min. is so much better and hoppier than this abomination, and the only reason I can think of that DFH would brew such an undrinkable beer is purely for the novelty of it.

Brewslut's Quote of the Day:
"Smells like vinegar and Easter Egg dye."

12-27-2009 16:20:02 | More by ffejherb
philipquarles

Connecticut

1.63/5  rDev -60%

Bottle dated April 2008--9 months old at the time of review. Pours a thick orange/copper with a small eggshell head. The foam dissipates quickly to leave some wispy traces and a collar. Small amounts of sediment. Smells...big. Definite floral hops, but there's so much sweet, biscuity malt that it's hard to decide which is dominant. Apricot jelly/syrup mixed with a bit of apple cider vinegar. Incredibly boozy--I've never actually had a beer that burned my nose upon sniffing. Very loosely reminiscent of a brandy. It's all sweet malt and alcohol upon tasting. Some hop flavor and bitterness, but it's really quite masked. Warming (burning) finish. A syrupy, boozy mess.

02-09-2009 04:21:18 | More by philipquarles
razorsdescent

1.65/5  rDev -59.6%

This is my first review.

Let me start out by saying that i prefer strong ales and IPA's

I had this brew at RFD in washington DC.

While eating dinner with a friend i noticed this beer and was attracted by the high ABV which exceeded anything i have previously had. at $20 for 12oz bottle i had fairly high hopes.

A pouring into the glass it had a nice autumn color maybe a little darker than a normal IPA but still attractive

S this is where things started to go down hill it wasn't horrible but behind the hops smell there was this sickly sweet smell.

T Now maybe i got a bad bottle but this was disgusting. Between college and the army i have had some horrendous alcoholic beverages but this was on par with rot gut tequila. The only two discernable tastes were that of a sickly sweet syrup that leads into a taste that i can only define as industrial alcohol or everclear.

M The mouth feel was fairly thin and unimpressive.

D this is the least drinkable beer ive ever had

i wasnt even able to finish the bottle. i eventually poured what was left into a half filled glass of a dark amber ale the resulting drink actually tasted rather delicious.

I believe there was probably something wrong with my bottle leading me to believe that maybe the brewing process used for this beer is a little hit or miss and i got one of the misses. i plan on trying this beer again at another venue and finding out.

09-26-2008 23:34:13 | More by razorsdescent
zoolzoo

Connecticut

1.68/5  rDev -58.8%

vintage 2011

A: Copper in color, barely any head.

S: Piney hop resin buried in a mountain of sickly sweet malt and booze.

T/M: Thick and oily traces of hops, greatly overshadowed by copious amounts of caramel malt and alcohol. Mouthfeel is reminiscent of cough syrup, and the flavor profile is close enough to back it up. Serves as a decent sipper for a minute or two, but soon causes me to cringe. This is not IPA concentrate.

O: A mess, should not exist.

11-14-2011 21:00:59 | More by zoolzoo
mcarroll10177

1.7/5  rDev -58.3%

Let me just say that DFH 90 is my favorite IPA hands down. So I was excited when 120 was on the shelf and i bought 4 bottles. DFH pushes the envelope, but this was pushed to far.

A- golden brown with big thick off white head

S- Flowery hops hit like a slap in the face

T- bitter hops like i am chewing on the flower and alcohol hit like i am washing it down with gasoline

M- balanced

D- a bitter disappointment pun intended.

02-02-2009 14:41:14 | More by mcarroll10177
cpn920

1.7/5  rDev -58.3%

This beer is so over the top that I couldn't even finish an 8 0z glass. It looked great with a murky orange and big meringue like head. Down hill from there. Smelled overly sweet like maple syrup. Taste was even more ridiculous with its sweetness that was so unbalanced. Mouthfeel was thick and chewy. Drinkability is as low as it gets IMO. Put it all together with price and it's a joke...a very expensive joke.

02-06-2009 19:32:49 | More by cpn920
thegreatbeerer

1.7/5  rDev -58.3%

wow! this beer is extremely disappointing. dogfish head's 60 and 90 minute ipa's are excellent. the 90 is one of my 3 favorites along with lagunitas hop stoopid and stone's ruination.

this beer is not an IPA. it's a barleywine.

actually it tastes like a bad port wine i had once in college.

it looks amazing

the feel and body are great, very velvety

the nose is great too!, if you're an 8 year old girl at a carnival
this thing smells like cotton candy.

the taste? very fruity, too malty, too syrupy

it might be good on hot waffles!?!
at least the butter could balance the sweetness.

the hops were wasted on this "beer"

they would have tasted better on spaghetti.

01-23-2010 17:35:01 | More by thegreatbeerer
generalnotsew

Tennessee

1.75/5  rDev -57.1%

Before I start I want to say I have had this beer twice before first time about a year and a half ago. Palate has changed a lot since then but I really hated this beer both fresh and with a year on it. This one is 1 year and a half so it is 21% abv. My palate has changed a lot since I had this last so here goes.

A: Much thicker head than I would have thought with something this high gravity. It is a deep amber color but nothing noticeably different than a standard IPA. Still nice looking.

S: Well I must say the hops are still very prominent just that the sweet sickly smell has faded and it smells like it may actually be bitter. Also picking up a very earthy dirty tone. It smelled way better when I first poured it. But still pretty good.

T: Sorry. But I really want to like this I just can't. Way too sweet and sourish for me. Not exactly sour but sourish like a week old apple. This beer is really unpleasant. I love, love, love my IPA's and hoppy goodness but this stuff is terrible.

M: Way too thick. I actually thought I had some food stuck in my mouth it left that much of a film.

D: Terrible. No one could drink more than 2 of these at one time. It would take me personally 3 hours to finish this as I hate every sip.

I never thought I would give ones. I started out with 2's but I hate this beer so much I have to be honest. The smell was really great and I thought after all the DIPA's and IPA's I have had that I would start to like this one.

I really don't understand why this gets such a high score. Do people just feel they have to like it after spending $10 for a 12 ounce bottle? Or is it just really great to some people? I really don't know the answer to that. I suppose a lot of people do like it but not me. If you are a hophead and love your DIPA's be careful of what to expect here.

That being said I could drink the 60 minute IPA by the gallon. Don't want to give the impression that DFH is inferior. Great brewery I just cannot like this one.

02-05-2010 05:48:34 | More by generalnotsew
gspeicher

Kentucky

1.75/5  rDev -57.1%

I know it isn't considered productive to just bash a beer, but this is not only bad, but also one of the worst beers I have ever had. It's an overly malty, syrupy, boozy mess of a beer. That said, I will stash one in the basement for some time to see how it mellows out. The 90 and 60 are both better (and cheaper).

07-26-2013 19:57:49 | More by gspeicher
Satchboogie

New Hampshire

1.78/5  rDev -56.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2011 vintage poured into a wine tasting glass

A: Pours copper, hard to see through (thick, not hazy), barely any head, decent lacing.

S: Putting my nose to the glass nearly knocked me on my ass. Pungent hops but more importantly sickly sweet candied fruits. It was like getting liquid hard candy shot up my nose.

T: Awful. Just awful. Sickly sweet is an understatement. It's unfortunate because there are some nice tropical fruit and citrus flavors there, but it's covered in tons (literally) of corn sugar. I couldn't choke down more than 3 sips. The hop profile wasn't overly bitter/pine, just a lot of really sweet citrus and tropical fruits. It's really hard to describe anything else. Sure, there was a big malt base, but it was completely lost behind all the sugar.

M: Low carbonation, imagine the thickest possible DIPA... it's thicker. Pancake syrup thick. For a stout with decent carbonation, great. For a sickly sweet DIPA, disgusting. Easily one of the worst textured beers I've had.

O: This was a drain pour for me, I couldn't get past 3 sips. Sickly sweet doesn't even come close, it's disgusting. I don't even know how someone calls this a DIPA. Think of the thickest, sweetest, hottest American Barleywine imaginable, it doesn't have anything on 120min IPA. I can't say this word enough: Disgusting. The only reason this doesn't get a complete fail is because it wasn't a stomach churning, make me puke nasty, just way way way too sweet.

08-13-2011 01:25:41 | More by Satchboogie
blackheartbilly

1.83/5  rDev -55.1%

12 ounce bottle for a whopping $8.50, I was thinking "this better be good."

A- Pours a golden hazy color. After the pour, no head at all.

S- okay first thought was "nail polish remover" seriously, piney, flowers, but hoppy was not my reaction.

T- More like a strong barley wine, not an IPA. After the initial shock of alcohol, there was the comforting hop aftertaste. This beer reminds me of strong sherry-like wine.

M- Thick, very little carbonation (no bubbles in my Sam Adams glass) Strong alcohol, very warming.

D- Good to try once. Too strong for a session beer, and I wouldn't really consider it an IPA at all. Granted, I have tried strong IPAs, but this beer didnt give off a ton of hops to me. It tasted like a Barley wine crossed with Sherry wine. It really does smell like nail polish remover, that being said, MUCH too strong for me.

04-10-2008 01:18:04 | More by blackheartbilly
Ryan011235

1.85/5  rDev -54.7%

Poured into a Bell's Tulip on 8/8/12

Bottled on: 2012 C 14:47

The color is a bright, mostly clear tangerine with a consistent stream of rising bubbles. I have to admit I'm shocked that this critter wound up with a three finger, slanted cap of bubbly foam. That said, the head thins in a moderate hurry, leaving sparse specks of lace. Thin layer of retention. Heck, lace actually improves. The overall appearance is fantastic considering the abv.

There's no denying 120 Minute smells like alcohol; it's in the nose from start to finish. The plus side is there are other strong aromatics that shift the focus from the booze. The down side is they are mainly sugary and sweet. Compacted grapefruit flesh and pith surrender the only citric note in the aroma. From there, some floral tones emerge. On the whole, the hops have a solvent bent. Candied fruit, caramel, plum, sherry. Hints of bread and raisin.

Oh, my heart. Each sip is brutal - it's all sugar and alcohol. Sure, hops are in here. It's a big oily mess of a concoction that leaves a barrage of sugars to rule the roost. Candied fruit. Sweet bread. Caramel. Figs. Prunes. Raisins. Something in here tastes peppery or spicy like rye, but I know it's probably just a trick of the brain. Wow, this is sugary to the max.

The feel is a fat, sluggish, oily thing; slick with alcohol and sticky with sugars. Alcohol heat lingers long on the finish. Carbonation is on the lower side of average, but manager to poke this lazy critter in the keister.

Man, I remember the first time I had 120 Minute IPA. It was early October 2008 at my cousin's old place in Portland. I'd flown in for the Robert Plant & Allison Krauss show and rented a Corvette, which garnered dirty looks form the bike turds downtown. Anyway, Jeff took me to several beer destinations, but I picked up the 120 Minute at a Fred Meyer (side note - I was shocked that my Kroger Plus card was valid there). I was stoked as all hell to try this rarest of IPAs, since we tend to not see it 'round these parts what with the abv cut-off and all in Ohio. Jeff handed me a snifter for the occasion and I remember being entranced and in utter awe at how amazing the beer was. I thought it was the best thing ever. Jeff must have thought I was a loon. In hindsight, I most certainly do.

It's a good thing for the sake of particular beers that folks tend to associate them with fond memories as opposed to legitimate quality.

08-09-2012 06:56:42 | More by Ryan011235
Bagman007

1.88/5  rDev -53.9%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Dark brown, reddish appearance with about a finger width's of head.

S- VERY hoppy. Extreme would be a good word to describe the scent. Nothing but hops.

T- Alcohol and extreme hops. By far the most hoppy beer I have ever had. Definitely overly hoppy. Weird after taste.

M- Bitter and dry, though it's hard to tell because you can't really get much in your mouth because it is so hoppy.

D- It's hard enough to finish one.

Overall this takes hops to a new extreme. Definitely something unique that everyone should try once.

01-28-2009 03:18:52 | More by Bagman007
ehammond1

1.9/5  rDev -53.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

On Tap

Urge Gastropub
San Diego, CA

Dark orange and amber with a very thin white head that actually stays perched atop for some time. Not much lacing down the glass, though none is expected at this ABV. For what it is, this is splendidly gorgeous!

This is foul. Yes, it's hoppy. Yes, there's some caramel sweetness. Yes, there's a touch of citrus. But, yes, this smells like nail polish remover. It gets worse and worse as it warms, becoming more potent and cough-inducing. This might just be rocket fuel disguised as beer.

This beer wasn't enjoyable on any level. It's more astringent and harsh than most liquors, reminding me of nail polish remover more than anything. The caramel sweetness and slight citrus aren't enough to overcome the beer's brutal harshness. This wasn't for me.

Medium to thick bodied. Appropriate.

This beer simply isn't for me; I'm glad others like it, but I don't find much redeeming about it. I won't be revisiting it again. I struggled to make it to the halfway point of my 6oz. pour. I find nothing enjoyable about this at all.

That being said, thanks and kudos to Dogfish for continuing to make beers nobody else in the world would even dream of making.

08-10-2011 03:31:58 | More by ehammond1
Stimack

1.9/5  rDev -53.4%

Let me start by saying that I am not a hophead, though I do like a number of DIPA's. I was able to give this brew a try last night as it was on tap at Mahars. I also got this brew with the idea that it would be slightly more intense version of the 90. I did not realize the magnitude of the difference...

This brew poured to a cloudy and murky yellow to bronze color with a slight head that had no real retention. The aroma, wow ... lots of hops, very sweet, caramel. Not to bad of a smelling brew. Well now for the taste, good god, alcohol is the first thing that comes to mind and then it breaks to hop resin and such a sweet flavor that after a while it is very difficult to get down. At first I just thought it was an odd ball but after a while this one was just grossly over the top for me. I did finish it, was not going to let a $7 draft go down the drain, but it was one of if not the most difficult beers for me to finish. Clearly this was a one time endeavor for me.

03-19-2009 17:30:03 | More by Stimack
warchez

1.93/5  rDev -52.7%

Appearence: Looks identical to the 90minute IPA, great color as orangy vibrance, the head is a wonderful yellow-tan. bubles streamy up glass and are medium in size. If the boil is 30 minutes longer that the 90 minute, how do they keep the color the same? Wouldn't the wort caramelize a bit more and make a different colored beer, even a little?
Aroma: Smells like porkfat or bad BBQ. I couldn't really get much hop character. There should be plenty of distinct hop aroma if it is truely dry hopped every day for a month, its not there. Perhaps the big malty character overwhelms the dryhopping process, reducing its efficiency.
Taste: Holy cow this is big. Classic "imperial" sweetness. The intense maltiness is overpowering and now terrible enjoyable. tanginess presumably from the high ABV, bites at the tongue, making it difficult to taste teh complex malt body. The long hop schedule presents itself as being very sweet/flavorful, with little bitterness. As with the 90minute I expected to be blown away.
Mouthfeel: very milk like texture. Caramel candy like stickiness on the palate.

Overall: It is amazing how sweet the hop flavor is, and the bitterness from teh hopping is just not there. I don't quit understand how this beer is really an IPA without the bitterness. Maybe just a really big hop flavored Pale ale. This is unique and novel, but its not good to drink. I am impressed by the technique and the truly unique character to this beer, it iw well done in the strangeness catagory.
However, just because its unique doesn't make it good or anymore drinkable.

11-01-2005 14:50:33 | More by warchez
craytonic

District of Columbia

1.93/5  rDev -52.7%

Don't get it. 60 minute - very good. 90 minute - also very good. 120 minute - drainpour. I was expecting a super-hopped beer but I got sweet (malt) liqueur. Sad because I reached into the beer fridge looking for a super-hoppy beer and was very disappointed. Beers like this make me frown on the "extreme" beer movement.

Appearance: Pour is thick and syrupy.

Smell: Sweet syrup and alcohol. Not the hop bomb I had hoped for.

Taste: Alcohol and honey with some faint hops and saccharine.

Mouthfeel: Extremely syrupy, if it tasted good it would go on ice cream, but it doesn't.

Drinkability: Good for a few sips as a novelty, after that too much over-sweet liqueur and alcohol. I guess you need all the sugar and malt to bump the ABV so high, but it comes out disgusting.

01-12-2010 16:08:23 | More by craytonic
porter17

1.95/5  rDev -52.2%

OK, I know that this beer is meant to be strong, and it most certainly is, but when a beer has little taste other than that of alcohol, it ceases to be enjoyable. Dogfish has done a great job with the 60 minute IPA and even the 90 Minute IPA but the 120 Minute IPA is better left to those who are looking to get drunk and don't care about taste.

03-22-2006 03:32:36 | More by porter17
battlekow

Wisconsin

1.98/5  rDev -51.5%

120 Minute IPA is a nastily-sweet brew more closely related to Midas Touch--or even Liquor de Malt--than either the 60 or 90 Minute IPAs. It claims to be a hophead's dream, but would be more appropriately marketed to the asshole wine people that purposefully leave the price tag on their expensive bottle of Merlot. Yeah, there's some hops, but there's also a huge alcohol burn if you hold it in your mouth for more than a millisecond and a meady honey sweetness that is truly disgusting. The only redeeming flavor is the barest hint of nuttiness, but that's like complimenting John Merrick on his lovely tan.

01-02-2006 23:18:04 | More by battlekow
champ103

1.98/5  rDev -51.5%

A: This pours a deep orange/red color. A very small head forms and leaves no lace.
S: Oh man, the alcohol overpowers the nose. Once I get past that, the aroma is very sweet. I can detect citrus, piney hops but way to much alcohol.
T: Alcohol from the start again. As been mentioned by other reviewers, the beer is very sweet and syrupy. Not much complexity.
D: Do I even need to say it? This is very hard to drink.

I was looking forward to finally trying this beer, but I don't see what all the hype is about. The alcohol is way to strong for this to be an enjoyable beer. I would like to try this after it has been aged for a while and the alcohol mellows out. I would not bother with this beer otherwise.

02-21-2008 19:40:50 | More by champ103