120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,108 | Hads: 7,373
2.23/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was alright as far as flavor, and the whole nine yards... except that it was an IPA. supposedly.
Maybe it's my unsophisticated palate but when someone brews an IPA and spends that much time hopping it. Usually they wouldn't go out of their way to add so much malt that it would basically mask it.
It pours nice, has a decent head and some lacing.
Smell is of malty sweetness and a bit of hops
Taste is almost pure malty sweetness and plenty of alcohol.
Mouthfeel.... I don't recall ordering a malted alcohol milkshake.
It was fine to drink once I cut my losses and said... well it's not what you were looking for. Just wasn't the IPA taste that I know and love. (672 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -43.1%

OK, let's start with the good things about this beer. The lacing and head were of acaliber that EVERY beer should aspire to obtain. The head was creamy and had a nice flavor, although it's gone now and I didn't write down anything specific that I tasted. The lacing stuck around until I washed out the glass. And that concludes my paragraph on the positive qualities of this beer...

...on to the negatives. For one, this beer is sickeningly sweet. I expected a load of full frontal hoppity and instead got corn syrup in my glass. To be honest, this beer hurts my tastebuds so much that I don't even detect any hops at all. 120 Minute even smells too sweet, and that's saying a lot coming from someone who'll try just about any spiced beer, stout, or "alcopop" (in the right situation) -- all sweet beverages. For another, this beer is extremely alcoholic, and I was beginning to feel it after only about 3 ounces. That's a feature of mixed drinks which I enjoy, but beers should cut me some slack in the drunkenness department.

All in all, I will never buy this beer again, and if I hadn't paid $10 for the bottle, I would have dumped it out. (1,148 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -42.9%

Living in Georgia, I always heard about it. Moving to new york i finally get to try it out. It was so strange that i tried it two nights in a row. it's like someone dumped turpentine into my brownies. smells great, looks good. tastes bad. big disappointment again from dogfish. (277 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -42.9%

Bottle courtesy of gunhaver.

Poured into a snifter. Burnt orange in color, lightening to persimmon when put against strong light. Half an inch of white head that dissipates to a ring and leaves no lacing.

Smell is heavy on the astringent nail polish, with just a little fruitiness.

Flavor is extremely sweet up front, with grapefruit liqueur and maple syrup. The harsh rubbing alcohol comes out in the finish.

Mouthfeel is very thick. Obviously a sipping beer. Carbonation isn't enough to power through the body, but it doesn't seem like any amount would.

Drinkability is obviously terrible. (597 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a descent golden color. The head is off-white and minimal. The smell is just awful, such that your head may recoil out of fear. The taste was not much better than the smell, the unmasked alcohol was not pleasant. The mouthfell was thick and sticky sweet. Not recommended, But if you are adventurous... (307 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -42.3%

Poured a murky dark amber with a smallish head. Aroma of hops and alcohol. Accents of booze, hops, and cough syrup. Mouthfeel likewise similar to syrup. Drank it slow and tried to think of it not as a normal beer, but this did not help. Way too sweet and viscous for my taste. A shame, as I was really looking forward to trying this beer. My dropping $12 on a 12oz is testament to that. A big disappointment all around. (419 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -42.3%

After trying the 60 Minute and the even better 90 Minute I was intrigued by this beer. To be honest, I was disappointed. The beer is way too sweet for an IPA in my opinion. The alcohol and malts completely overpower any of the hops. It may have lots of hops but the balance is definitely not there. Perhaps it would taste better after aging for years as the bottle suggests, but I'd rather spend my money on something that is drinkable now in not in ten years. (460 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -41.3%

Pours a clean orange-ish color with a small white head. In the aroma, well, it smells of nail polish remover. In the taste, dry, pine like hops and alcohol, with notes of nail polish remover. A smooth and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry alcohol and small hop presence in the aftertaste. It is like nail polish remover/ rubbing alcohol, with a touch of pine hops. (366 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -41.3%

Wasn't sure what to expect with the high alcohol content, but wasn't impressed by the beer. It had good color and a good smell, but it tasted like liquid brown sugar. Surprisingly it wasn't an overpowering alcohol flavor I expected, though you felt it in the back of the throat after having one. (295 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -41.1%

Well I had this beer on tap at the hipness throw down and I can honestly say I don't plan on trying it again. To start off I am not sure of the vintage. This beer poured an orange with a reddish tinge. The beer is visibly thick and had a small off white head a veery small head. The smell was dominated by sweetness that I knew was not going to make th beer taste good. There was also a hop presence but I took a back seat to the sweetbread and huge alcohol presence. The flavor follows the taste to a tee. Huge sweetness wiu minimal hops followed by a donkey punch of alcohol burning. The mouthfeel is so out of wack for an ipa it's more like q barley wine. Overall I would say if you want to try the beer buy one and try it but don't have high hopes. Avoid (758 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -40.8%

Poured from a chilled 12oz bottle into a room temp tulip glass.

Pours a thick caramel colored syrup which clings to the glass as it slides to the bottom. A thin ring of froth clings to the edge of the glass. Translucent... Almost opaque. Light penetrates, but that is all that penetrates.

Smells... Sweet. Uber malt over malt divided by malt to the maltiest power all of which is multiplied by isopropyl alcohol. Reminiscent of extract of malt liquor.

A variety of flavors... But not really. Sugar, cane sugar, brown sugar, honey. Pure sweetness. And not in a good way. There is no balance at all to this flavor. At the very end of the swallow I can detect a faint honey-dijon mustard flavor.

The mouthfeel on this beer could be great, but the taste is so bad that I can't stand to roll it around long enough to tell. It's nice, but the flavor kills it.

As for drinkability... Ummm... No? That's what I have for that answeram I don't know if there is a zero rating or not, but I hope there is so that I can justify using it. For me, this is a novelty. Try one and trade the rest of your stash. (1,099 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -40.8%

3 oz pour from a tasting glass at Rehoboth Beach

L: Cloudy amber ... can't see through to the other side. Pour is absolutely too cold, but we're at the source here ... I'm concerned already that they are trying to numb my taste-buds for what's incoming.

S: Crisp booze destroys all ... until the hops kick in at the back. Reminds me of Samael's ... my nostrils have been sanitized ... this much is for sure.

T: Booze. Fading into straight isopropyl alcohol with the tiniest hint of hops ... before the booze kicks back in. Blech.

F: Astringent in your mouth. Scope has a less obnoxious mouth feel than this.

D: 1 sip was enough ... in a lifetime of sipping ... i'm not sure I could have made it through my 3oz pour. (720 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -40.6%

I got this beer from my recent BIF trade, Thank you. Poured into a tulip glass at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A one finger foamy creamy off white head that has some retention. The color of the beer is a medium amber color with orange hues. The clarity of the beer is slightly hazy. There is some effervescence in the beer.

Nose: A very bright floral aroma, grapefruit, and pine. The malt is sweet with phenols and alcohol.

Taste: The malt is very sweet alcohol with a dim floral flavor with grapefruit and pine. There is some phenols.

Overall: The mouthfeel is sticky, syrupy and thick. The body of the beer is thick and finish is medium. This beer is a sheer disappointment. I have never had a DFH that was this bad. It don't taste like a DIPA. I am so sad to rate this beer this way. (787 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -40.1%

I really don't get the fascination with this beer.

a: An odd orange-red-amber body... thin off white head. minimal lacing

s: sweet. syrup. booze. the floral hops barely come through. when i popped the bottle i thought i was about to drink a flavored vodka or something... the booze was that strong.

t: sticky sweet malt. lots of booze. way out of balance... where are the hops?

m: not good, but i think the taste decreases my perception. syrupy, thick, and under-carbonated.

o: not my cup of tea (500 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -39.8%

Bottle from 11-26-08. Poured a deep orange with some whitish head. Very little lacing. Aroma was mostly boozey nail polish. Taste was about the same; really boozey, some citrus, some vanilla, some medium malt sweetness. Ended up drain pouring this. Sad, because this beer is great fresh, and great with 2-3 years on it. I'll be cracking the rest of my old bottles soon to see how they're holding up. (399 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Well here it is, I fianlly get to taste the covetted 120.

Dark orange hue.

Aroma was purely maltyness, with a faint presence of hops.

The taste had an ethabol bight like none other, and an enourmous presence of dextrins, with very little hop presence.

The body was decent, and had layers of flavors playing off of sherry, and scotch, or a fine brandy. However, this is not what I look for in an IPA.

It was very hard to finish, there was simply too much going on here, I really did not know what to make of it.

I think with the IBU's so much malt was needed, that it became physically impossible to present an true balance, let alone a definite hop presenece. (665 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -39.8%

pours a very clear orange tan, with a better than expected off-white head, for such a high ABV beer. aroma is sweet surgary alcohol...almost liqour-like. taste is more of the same...overbearingly sweet candied tropical fruits and vanilla. struggling to detect any sense of hoppiness. slick and syrupy mouthfeel. alcohol warms the back of the throat and gut instantly. the cloying sweetness made it difficult to finish the bottle i split with my girlfriend.

is this an ipa? maybe in the loosest sense. an experimental strong ale seems more fitting to me. actually, it just seems like a gimmick. (597 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -39.3%

I was excited to try this beer and got even more exicted after trying the 60 and 90 minute, but was sorely disappointed in the 120. It pours a copper/amber with little head which would be expected with some white lacing that stuck around while drinking. The smell was a fair amount of the hops(similiar to 60 and 90), but you could smell a medicinal/solvent aroma. The first taste was like a slap in the face! It is so syrupy sweet that I had trouble swallowing and tasting what else the beer had to offer. The hops aroma and bitterness is there as advertised, but the alcohol sweetness overwhelms the entire beer that there is no balance. I let it warm up some, which balanced the beer a little but not enough.

I enjoyed the novelty of trying this beer, but was barely able to finish even half a glass. (805 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -39.3%

On tap at Blind Tiger Ale House in New York City.

Appearance: Looked like apricot juice. No head.

Smell: Strong and very sweet peach and apricot aroma. Could not detect any alcohol in the aroma.

Taste: Extremely sweet peach and apricot flavors. Some hops were also tasted. Could not taste any malt. Just too sweet and not balanced, like it was not fully fermented. Despite its strength, I could not taste any alcohol (probably overpowered by the sweet flavors).

Mouthfeel: Syrupy with light carbonation.

Drinkability: Was way too sweet for me to be able to finish the glass I had.

Comments: I had been looking forward to this beer for months, since I like 90 Minute IPA a lot. However, this was disappointing.
Maybe if they let it age it might help. (768 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -39%

This is certainly the strongest beer I've had so far. And, as chance would have it, not my most favorite of beers.

It pours a pretty light orangeish color with some white frothy head, very appealing looking. But looks can be deceiving. It smelled... slightly fruity, but mostly more of a vinegar smell- not the most appetizing combination.

The taste... rubbing alcohol comes to mind. Some fruityness prevails but mostly it's just not a wonderful tasting thing. Mouthfeel is okay, nothing special. Drinkabilty... well, I had half a bottle, and that was half a bottle too much. Sure, this will send you from sober to drunken haze pretty quickly, but personally, I'd rather enjoy what I'm drinking if intoxication is my goal.

It's worth trying, if only to say you've sampled all ends of the beer chain, but I can't see myself trying this again any time soon. (865 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

DFH is probably aware that you can't make a beer like this and have unanimous positive reviews.
After it poured a nice orangish copper color with minimal head (a warning of the intensely high abv), everything went downhill from there.
Instead of a combination of malt and hop characteristics, this thing is huge interweaving of confectionary sweetness and heavy alcohol fumes. Both cloying and burning, the syrupy texture was almost sickening in my opinion.
I only drank maybe 2 ounces of the 12 ounce bottle before offering it around to anyone who might like a try before ultimately getting rid of it. Huge waste of 10 bucks.
Try it if you must, there isn't anything else out there like it, but its such a stretch of any preconceived boundary that I could not enjoy it. (772 characters)

Bottled Sep 2011

Well, tried this side by side with an '09 of the same time frame. They both poured crystal clearly amber with a finger of off white foam which fell quickly to an extreme clarity. Old smelled sweet. New smelled vegetal. Old tasted sweet. New tasted sweet and astringent with a weird soured grape and acetone flavor. Both were appropriately carbed with a thin, syrupy feel. Both were a disappointment. (417 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -38.8%

Recevied via trade from jfunkk79 thanks!
bottle dated 5/1/09 (6 months old) poured into a large snifter

A: A vigorous pour gives a surprisingly large head considering the abv which quickly dissipates, orangeish redish with a cream head looks like a typical barleywine

S: malty sweetnes and faint hops

T&M: Here is where the beer goes horribly horribly wrong. Way too Sweet, hot, and mediciny. Hops taste faint. This beer is a total mess, A perfect example of just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Though this might have been aged improperly or be better fresh.

D: Ha! are you kidding me it took me a few hours to finish this beer. I never really contemplated drain pouring it but I wasn't exactly looking forward to each sip.

It was worth trying but other than possibly giving a fresh bottle a try I won't be seeking this out anymore. Double Bastard is a similar kind of beer but actually tastes good. (927 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -38.8%

This beer is one I sought out for a while.

Here's the simple straight dope in terms of all i care about ...taste. This was basically the 90 minute turned into a boiler maker. That is my opinion in terms of both taste and alcohol content. You could taste the alcohol and it was not ggood.and my I'm ediate reaction was that it tastes like a boiler maker. (354 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -38.5%

Pours clear red with 3/4" off white head that leavs sparse lace. Somewhat subtle nose that is moderately malty with resinous pine to citrus hops on the grapefruit side of things. Hint of spice and a little sweet smelling. The taste is big, sweet malt with mildly bitter hops with a decent balance that is a sweet and almost medicinal. It transitions to an aftertaste that is sweet and very medicinal. The mouthfeel is full bodied and very syruppy with a soft carbonation and an alcoholic finish. The bottle says "enjoy now or age for a decade or so." The bottled on date was not entirely readable, but appeared to be in 06. My impression is that this is a beer that really needs to age to mellow. The flavor is nearly overpoweringly sweet . Almost like artificial sweetener mixed with cough syrup. I would definitely not buy this again, especially at its very high price. Not sure what everyone sees in this one, and I sort of wonder if I got a bad bottle, but I won't be trying it again to find out. There were no off smells, and it looks good, so I don't think this is the case. I give Dogfish head respect for this attempt. I like big beers, but this is more like a malt wine. (1,179 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery