120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Wants: 1,047
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a cognac snifter. It looks hazy orange and its completely opaque.

It smells like nail polish remover that has been seasoned with off hops. It is just terrible. It smells like the orange Old English Wood Soap that I use to mop my floors. This could make paint fall off a shed.

The taste is like some terrible new hop-flavored black rum. I am used to my hop bombs being hop forward, and malts secondary. This is the opposite where the sweetness is front and center and the hops are fighting with it. There is nothing good about the taste of this beer. It tastes like if Admiral Nelson made a port or the type of liquor you use in baking.

The mouthfeel adds to the already less than ideal characteristics, making this beer one of my all time least favorites. I would sooner drink Natural Ice than drink this.

This beer is ambitious and that is all it is. I like Dogfish Head as a brewery, and I am really glad they are in Bloomington and Indiana on the whole, but this beer frankly is just awful with no redeeming characteristics. I ended up drain pouring it. I have had enough beers like Founders Devil Dancer that I can appreciate an ambitious attempt at making a one-of-a-kind beer, however, this beer is just too much. There is fine line between a pleasant beer, which rather than attacking the palate attempts to work with it, and a beer that fights your palate every step of the way. I wouldn't recommend this beer to my worst enemy.

1.53/5  rDev -62.7%

This beer had been lavishly praised by a friend but it can't be had where I live, so when I saw it on a trip, I bought a 4 pack. I was very disappointed (The price is absurd-- ahh, the wonders of marketing). I found it had no balance and the hops were so overpowering the only other flavor besides unadorned sweetness I could really distinguish was a strong raw alcohol. Rather than a malty flavor, it tasted more "woody" and sugary as if pine bark and molasses were part of the wort.

I was impatient and drank the first one after only a short stay in the fridge. The best description I could come up with would be ultra-sweetened hop tea mixed with grain alcohol added to a run of the mill IPA..

Maybe I got a bad batch but I did not think it was good at all. It was essentially undrinkable lukewarm and I had to chill it to the point my palate was numbed for it not to be unpleasant.

If we want to give points for extremism. that's one thing, but if tasting good and being pleasurable to drink are criteria this one fails.

1.58/5  rDev -61.5%

On tap at TJ's on 12/5/09 for their 6th Anniversary celebration.

A - Beautiful clear orange-colored body with ruby highlights and amber hues and half a finger of bubbly off-white head that reduced to a patchy veil and deposited minimal lace around the snifter.

S - Hmmmm... smells like solvent or kerosene or some kind of glue or nail polish remover. Think Silly String. You know that brightly colored, foamy stuff that you shoot out of an aerosol can? Unfortunately, yes. Now you get some idea of how nasty this smells. Some citrus peel/hop oil character attempts to claw its way through the overpowering gas-like fume to no avail.

T - Flavor is really hot, perhaps the hottest beer I've ever had in my mouth. This is ultimately extremely sweet and syrupy, and doesn't really scream hops at all. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even whisper hops. I hope for the sake of this beer's reputation that this was a bad batch, because I've heard that this beer is amazing on tap. Let me tell you, amazing this is not. Imagine (as bad as it sounds) drinking a glass of gasoline with a giant heap of sugar mixed in.

M - Mouthfeel is sweet and cloying beyond belief. Texture is syrupy and very sticky. There is virtually no hop bitterness on the palate at all.

D - Honestly, I would have drain poured this if I didn't pay over $6 for a snifter. Very, VERY disappointed with this offering on tap. 90min. is so much better and hoppier than this abomination, and the only reason I can think of that DFH would brew such an undrinkable beer is purely for the novelty of it.

Brewslut's Quote of the Day:
"Smells like vinegar and Easter Egg dye."

1.63/5  rDev -60.2%

Bottle dated April 2008--9 months old at the time of review. Pours a thick orange/copper with a small eggshell head. The foam dissipates quickly to leave some wispy traces and a collar. Small amounts of sediment. Smells...big. Definite floral hops, but there's so much sweet, biscuity malt that it's hard to decide which is dominant. Apricot jelly/syrup mixed with a bit of apple cider vinegar. Incredibly boozy--I've never actually had a beer that burned my nose upon sniffing. Very loosely reminiscent of a brandy. It's all sweet malt and alcohol upon tasting. Some hop flavor and bitterness, but it's really quite masked. Warming (burning) finish. A syrupy, boozy mess.

1.65/5  rDev -59.8%

This is my first review.

Let me start out by saying that i prefer strong ales and IPA's

I had this brew at RFD in washington DC.

While eating dinner with a friend i noticed this beer and was attracted by the high ABV which exceeded anything i have previously had. at $20 for 12oz bottle i had fairly high hopes.

A pouring into the glass it had a nice autumn color maybe a little darker than a normal IPA but still attractive

S this is where things started to go down hill it wasn't horrible but behind the hops smell there was this sickly sweet smell.

T Now maybe i got a bad bottle but this was disgusting. Between college and the army i have had some horrendous alcoholic beverages but this was on par with rot gut tequila. The only two discernable tastes were that of a sickly sweet syrup that leads into a taste that i can only define as industrial alcohol or everclear.

M The mouth feel was fairly thin and unimpressive.

D this is the least drinkable beer ive ever had

i wasnt even able to finish the bottle. i eventually poured what was left into a half filled glass of a dark amber ale the resulting drink actually tasted rather delicious.

I believe there was probably something wrong with my bottle leading me to believe that maybe the brewing process used for this beer is a little hit or miss and i got one of the misses. i plan on trying this beer again at another venue and finding out.

1.66/5  rDev -59.5%

1.68/5  rDev -59%

vintage 2011

A: Copper in color, barely any head.

S: Piney hop resin buried in a mountain of sickly sweet malt and booze.

T/M: Thick and oily traces of hops, greatly overshadowed by copious amounts of caramel malt and alcohol. Mouthfeel is reminiscent of cough syrup, and the flavor profile is close enough to back it up. Serves as a decent sipper for a minute or two, but soon causes me to cringe. This is not IPA concentrate.

O: A mess, should not exist.

1.7/5  rDev -58.5%

Let me just say that DFH 90 is my favorite IPA hands down. So I was excited when 120 was on the shelf and i bought 4 bottles. DFH pushes the envelope, but this was pushed to far.

A- golden brown with big thick off white head

S- Flowery hops hit like a slap in the face

T- bitter hops like i am chewing on the flower and alcohol hit like i am washing it down with gasoline

M- balanced

D- a bitter disappointment pun intended.

1.7/5  rDev -58.5%

This beer is so over the top that I couldn't even finish an 8 0z glass. It looked great with a murky orange and big meringue like head. Down hill from there. Smelled overly sweet like maple syrup. Taste was even more ridiculous with its sweetness that was so unbalanced. Mouthfeel was thick and chewy. Drinkability is as low as it gets IMO. Put it all together with price and it's a joke...a very expensive joke.

1.7/5  rDev -58.5%

wow! this beer is extremely disappointing. dogfish head's 60 and 90 minute ipa's are excellent. the 90 is one of my 3 favorites along with lagunitas hop stoopid and stone's ruination.

this beer is not an IPA. it's a barleywine.

actually it tastes like a bad port wine i had once in college.

it looks amazing

the feel and body are great, very velvety

the nose is great too!, if you're an 8 year old girl at a carnival
this thing smells like cotton candy.

the taste? very fruity, too malty, too syrupy

it might be good on hot waffles!?!
at least the butter could balance the sweetness.

the hops were wasted on this "beer"

they would have tasted better on spaghetti.

1.72/5  rDev -58%

1.75/5  rDev -57.3%

Before I start I want to say I have had this beer twice before first time about a year and a half ago. Palate has changed a lot since then but I really hated this beer both fresh and with a year on it. This one is 1 year and a half so it is 21% abv. My palate has changed a lot since I had this last so here goes.

A: Much thicker head than I would have thought with something this high gravity. It is a deep amber color but nothing noticeably different than a standard IPA. Still nice looking.

S: Well I must say the hops are still very prominent just that the sweet sickly smell has faded and it smells like it may actually be bitter. Also picking up a very earthy dirty tone. It smelled way better when I first poured it. But still pretty good.

T: Sorry. But I really want to like this I just can't. Way too sweet and sourish for me. Not exactly sour but sourish like a week old apple. This beer is really unpleasant. I love, love, love my IPA's and hoppy goodness but this stuff is terrible.

M: Way too thick. I actually thought I had some food stuck in my mouth it left that much of a film.

D: Terrible. No one could drink more than 2 of these at one time. It would take me personally 3 hours to finish this as I hate every sip.

I never thought I would give ones. I started out with 2's but I hate this beer so much I have to be honest. The smell was really great and I thought after all the DIPA's and IPA's I have had that I would start to like this one.

I really don't understand why this gets such a high score. Do people just feel they have to like it after spending $10 for a 12 ounce bottle? Or is it just really great to some people? I really don't know the answer to that. I suppose a lot of people do like it but not me. If you are a hophead and love your DIPA's be careful of what to expect here.

That being said I could drink the 60 minute IPA by the gallon. Don't want to give the impression that DFH is inferior. Great brewery I just cannot like this one.

1.75/5  rDev -57.3%

I know it isn't considered productive to just bash a beer, but this is not only bad, but also one of the worst beers I have ever had. It's an overly malty, syrupy, boozy mess of a beer. That said, I will stash one in the basement for some time to see how it mellows out. The 90 and 60 are both better (and cheaper).

1.78/5  rDev -56.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

2011 vintage poured into a wine tasting glass

A: Pours copper, hard to see through (thick, not hazy), barely any head, decent lacing.

S: Putting my nose to the glass nearly knocked me on my ass. Pungent hops but more importantly sickly sweet candied fruits. It was like getting liquid hard candy shot up my nose.

T: Awful. Just awful. Sickly sweet is an understatement. It's unfortunate because there are some nice tropical fruit and citrus flavors there, but it's covered in tons (literally) of corn sugar. I couldn't choke down more than 3 sips. The hop profile wasn't overly bitter/pine, just a lot of really sweet citrus and tropical fruits. It's really hard to describe anything else. Sure, there was a big malt base, but it was completely lost behind all the sugar.

M: Low carbonation, imagine the thickest possible DIPA... it's thicker. Pancake syrup thick. For a stout with decent carbonation, great. For a sickly sweet DIPA, disgusting. Easily one of the worst textured beers I've had.

O: This was a drain pour for me, I couldn't get past 3 sips. Sickly sweet doesn't even come close, it's disgusting. I don't even know how someone calls this a DIPA. Think of the thickest, sweetest, hottest American Barleywine imaginable, it doesn't have anything on 120min IPA. I can't say this word enough: Disgusting. The only reason this doesn't get a complete fail is because it wasn't a stomach churning, make me puke nasty, just way way way too sweet.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery