120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,188 | Ratings: 7,779
4.13/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Fresh ass bottle... bottled 4/8, poured 5/4. I know, people say to age it or whatever, well I wanted to try it fresh. $12 for a 12oz bottle. My "May the 4th be With You" beer. Off we go.

Appearance: Who saw that coming? This is a hazy copper orange color with half a finger of a creamy head and a fair amount of lacing. I was anticipating a flat looking beer... this looks fantastic.

Smell: Intensely huge. Lots of alcohol, but also quite a bit of fruity hops with great malt sweetness. For some reason, all together, I actually get a slight maple syrup aroma out of this at times which I think is phenomenal... now that I'm thinking about it, maple syrup barrel aged IPA, anyone?

Taste/feel: Well, follows the nose. What a monster. The alcohol in one sense is really well hidden -- I don't think this is a very hot beer. It's not burning me going down. Also, I don't find that it dries my mouth up after every sip. However... there's a definite boozy taste, but that's to be expected at 18%. Pretty intense alcohol flavor up front fades with loads of fruity and tropical tasting hops with a surprisingly not overbearing amount of malt sweetness... I figured this would be super sweet, boozy, and hot, and it's not all that. The feel is syrupy in body, but there's a nice bit of lively carbonation to balance it out.

First sniff and taste I wasn't huge on this... but it has grown on me. This beer reminds me of Moltov Cocktail Heavy just in that it's the only triple IPA I've had at 18%. For me, Heavy is a slightly sweeter and definitely hotter beer with a little more flavor depth. 120 is actually a little bitter (or at least less sweet), but the flavors aren't quite as good.

120 is fabulous. It's definitely a beer that's maybe too intense for its own good, but that's the point of it. I know Dogfish says this ages well, but I don't know if I would bother doing that as it would just taste like sweet booze.. I enjoy the hop characteristics and everything that it is right now. If I had a handful of bottles, I'd try aging one, but to me, you're better off drinking this one fresh.

3.23/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Bottled 4/8/26... about 3 weeks old.

Look is deep copper with some pale and some red hues depending on how the light hits it. Small head dissipates pretty quickly but leaves a thin ring. No lacing.

Smell opens very piney although I wouldn't go as far as 'dank'. When that drifts away its left with a mostly alcohol/solvent smell.

Taste is very much like the smell, except the pine and fruity hops are buried and I just get a lot of alcohol burn. I tried it chilled and then let it warm, and either way it came off hot. Slightly more malts present when it warms, but they're fighting a losing battle with the 18% abv.

Feel is hard to judge, as another review stated, my mouth is basically numb and whatever feel it does have is not very enjoyable. Its medium body I guess and not as flat as I expected, but thats about as much as I can say.

Overall, this is a bummer. I know its kind of a novelty beer at 18%, but I was expecting it to be somewhat more beer-like... Wish I had my $10 back!

4.96/5  rDev +25.3%

A- Pours a clear amber color with a slightly tan, foamy head that dissipates quickly, leaving a fair amount of alcohol lacing on the glass.

S- Very sweet burnt sugar notes right up front, with some alcohol in the nose along with an array of roasted malts and hoppy pine smells. Liquid caramel, molasses, definitely not for those who don't like sweetness in their beers. The alcohol in this almost tastes like the bourbon you would get from barrel aging, which earns this beer massive points for me.

T- Follows the nose, with a huge punch of that burnt sugar sweetness and dried fruits, almost a syrupy kind of malt to the flavor with a definitive alcohol kick at the end. There's hop bitterness, but it's just enough to balance out the amazing amount of sweetness in this beer. Almost like a dessert in a glass, or a tasty, high end liqueur.

F- Full bodied and thick for an IPA, but you would expect that with an IPA of this strength.

O- Wow, this beer was simply amazing. This is my new favorite IPA of all time, and it was worth every penny I paid for it. This is one hyped beer that definitely lives up to the reputation for me.

2.48/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Growing up in South Jersey, Dogfish Head was my introduction to craft beer. I've always been a fan of 60, 90, and chicory stout, but Sam Calagione's general attitude and approach to brewing has always driven me up a wall. Rather than putting forth ANY effort to craft a decent, nuanced beer, he makes novelties. I'd knock them for just trying to remain relevant, but it's always been their approach. "I bet if I brew this beer to 55% abv, use an old board game to create a continuous hopping mechanism, and include an ingredient from every continent, History Channel will give me a show!"

This beer is pretty bad, and people give it decent ratings only because it's a novelty. Oh yeah, don't age it. Dogfish never really understood cellaring beer, and when they realized same, they peppered their website with nonsense like "people may tell you that you shouldn't age fresh, hoppy ales, but remember, do what you love." If you give this a full year in pitch black at cellar temps, it comes out tasting like the same beer but more astringent. A true disaster.

Look: Actually good. Incredible amount of legs on the thing because it's Port strength. 3.5

Smell: Alcohol. Incredibly astringent. There may even be a beer down there that wants to smell like something, but it can't. 2.25

Taste: Alcohol. Again, please note, there is a beer under there, and you may taste some fruity hops trying to punch through. This might entice you to let this beer age for a while, but don't be fooled. Those beer flavors are the first to go when this baby spends some time in a cellar. 2.5

Feel: I don't even know; my mouth is numb. I would guess 190 proof everclear mixed with orange juice, but I haven't touched that since high school, so I can't confirm. I think I'll say 2.25

Overall: Go away Dogfish. 2.5

3.71/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured sunset orange with one inch fluffy white head that had good retention and lacing. Scent was potent bitter/piney hops with a bit of citrus. Flavor is absolute hop bomb. Almost tastes like I'm chewing a hop pellet, then washing it down with a beer. The good thing is I am a fan of really hoppy beers. Although I think it's a bit much, I can appreciate what went into this beer. Mostly piney/bitter flavor with a bit of citrus, followed up with sweet malty backbone and a boozy heat. I enjoy having one per year...

2.63/5  rDev -33.6%

I challenged Tennessee trey to game of horseshoes and won. Payout was supposed to be a watermelon but dang ole trey gave me two of these instead. Me and Jesse fired these things down and howled at the moon. Tastes like rubbing alcohol and malt.

3.38/5  rDev -14.6%

This is a somewhat puzzling beer.
Color: a nice deep bronze
Smell: There is some citrus and ripe banana there, but it is hard to get through the alcohol. I'm also a Scotch drinker so I'm used to prominent alcohol on the nose but here there's not much after the alcohol dissipates.
Taste: again some citrus fruit but there mostly a dominant sweetness to it that is followed immediately by a bitter finish and the alcohol level is out of control here.
The best way I can describe it would be to say that it taste like burned sugar with a spoonful of cointreau.
Right now the 2016 it is just not a very pleasant beer to drink. For some reason, I have a feeling that this is going to age well, but who knows...

2.81/5  rDev -29%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a deep gold/orange/copper...may be bronze is the best way to describe this? I'm instantly turned off by this because I don't think I can like an IPA this dark. The head is off white, which was more apparently initially. It's not exactly bursting with aroma. I feel like all I get is rubbing alcohol. Despite it being listed as having 120 IBUs, this is incredible sweet. It is very boozy too. It's not undrinkable, but not exactly something you can throw down. I am not surprised that aging is recommended. This is a beer with minimum refinement. Calling this would be a barleywine would be kind with this amount of bitter hop character. This is an extreme but not a very good beer.

4.55/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

The 2014 amazing, such a big beer but still smooth. Nice mouth feel, full flavour but not silly. The thing that amazed me is the bitterness was so understated, just malty MF nice. Big it was not around 18 percent I would go another

2.51/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I always laugh when stores act all badass with this beer, like "LIMIT 1". . . That's one more than I'll ever want.

Looks dark gold, thin white head. Aroma was super boozy to the point of almost thinking fusel alcohol, but no, its just super hot.

Taste is a thick, viscous almost barleywine like double ipa, excessive bitterness. If you like bitter vodka shots, this is your jam.

When I think overrated sticky high alpha hop methodology with little hop flavor, this be thy name.

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If whiskey were a beer, basically. The first beer I've tried that's this massive. It was legendary before I had the opportunity to sip, and it really tastes more or less like I would expect it to: the alcohol of a rich red wine, the balanced malt-and-hop-bitterness of the 90 minute IPA, but highly refined. The only strike against this beer is that it is so refined as to be unbeerlike in nearly every way.

Had a Westmalle Tripel after this, and actually think that was better, despite love-love-loving IPAs and Dogfish Head.

Still, not complaining one bit. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I savored every drop of it. Not sure how much it would set me back to fund the tasting myself (the fellow who shared it got it from a friend himself), but I'd be willing to buy it to share the experience with the uninitiated.

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours a very pretty burnt orange color a good deal of haze and a tight white head. Minor suspended sediment. Superb head retention and lacing. Really a beautiful looking beer.

S: Smells like Bigfoot on steroids. Tightknit caramel and bready malt, piney resinous hops, and a certain toastiness. Pretty sweet but in a hop-forward American barleywine sort of way. Not nearly as much booze as you’d expect for such a big beer.

T: What a massively flavorful beer! Big caramel sweetness and doughy bread crusts, with piney high alpha-acid hops. Some orange zest citrus in there. A good deal more ethanol than the aroma lets on. Rich, boozy, bready sweet finish with loads of classic American hop flavors. Grassy hops flavors take over very late in the finish.

F: Full-bodied with creamy carbonation and an all-around lush and sticky mouthfeel. Quite hot – almost as if drinking spirits – but what the hell do you expect at 15-20% abv?

Thoughts: More of an American Barleywine than a DIPA. Pretty damn good for such a big beer. I don’t usually like my DIPAs to too high up there but I liked this better and found it more drinkable than the vast majority of 10+% abv stouts. This beer is not for everybody by any stretch and it’s no surprise that few other breweries have tried to replicate this style, but it’s a classic for a reason.

3.39/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

7/22/15. boozy, candied fruit and sweet pine(?). thank god they put it in 12 oz bottles..... not like the Black Tuesday! wouldnt be a problem if i had any friends but i think the high abv plays into the reason why i dont....

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is my second one, and unlike the first that I drank right away, this one has been sitting for a few months, so one would think it had, if anything, mellowed, but it seems boozier. The pour is a nice moderate head, without being rambunctious or timid. The color is a dark, cloudy amber that is appealing but not astounding.

One of the unique characteristics is that it offers something fine both cold and warm, which is different than how I remember my first, which seemed to only come alive when it warmed. Whereas many beers just don't let the flavor through when they're below 50 degrees, IMO, this one has a nice mellow, moderately malty and crisp IPA vibe, with that refreshing temp. Warmer, it adds body and starts accentuating more of the beer's malty and restrained but clear hoppy flavors.

I don't like it as much as I remember, but as I'm not at all an IPA fan, this is still one of the few that I think is worth drinking. Beware the ABV, though. Preferably drink at home and over the entire course of the evening. If nothing else, to get the progression from its colder experience to room temp. I think I might prefer the 90 minute, though.

4.51/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my friend Brandon for obtaining this gem. This was from a 2015 batch, aged 9 months. I am told that it was much harsher when young. Pours a hazy golden orange with a light tan head. Huge hop aromas of citrus and pine, sweet malt. Tastes of candied fruit and piney citrusy hops as expected. Strong alcohol burn. This is what I would imagine a hop wine to taste like. The aging (according to my friend who tried it when fresh) seemed to have made it much more palatable. Will have to try again fresh if only to see the difference. Worth seeking out if you can get your hands on it!

4.79/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

How does it get much better? If you can get your mouth on this beautiful IPA, do what you must. Wonderful, full-bodied IPA flavor that is smooth, deep and textured. Just had one at a tasting that was a 2011 and we drank it on Feb. 7, 2016. It aged like a dream and didn't seem to have dropped anything worthy out.

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Among my top 5 beers of all time. Living in Maine I used to have the luck of finding this beer on tap many times per year. Now down in Texas and I've yet to see it for the last two years. Sad sad story here.

4.54/5  rDev +14.6%

12 oz 2015 bottle poured into a teku glass.

L - orange amber color. Thin layer of head with lacing gripping at a snails pace. Ring of foam around the edge

S - smells like hop wine. Earthy strong scent kind of like a red wine but with hops.

T - rock candy up front, sweet malt in the middle, hops and alcohol in the back. Sweet but bitter.

F - very strong, not a slammer by any means. Slow sipper all the way. Boozy the whole way.

O - this is more like hop wine than a beer. Super strong and bitter. Not so much a hop bomb but very balanced. Love Dogfish Head and what they do. Certainly pushes the limits of all IPA fans

4.31/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look: Orange-amber with bubbly carbonation and a thin tan head that leaves some lacing.

Smell: Much more barleywine than IPA. Huge dark fruits and complex malt. Cherries, toffee, brown sugar, molasses, figs, plums, raisins, brandy, and vanilla.

Taste: Molasses, toffee, brown sugar, cashews, cherries, figs, prunes, raisins, brandy/cognac/port wine, red wine, and vanilla. The hops take a backseat to the insanely complex malts but there is some faint grapefruit, orange, and grass. There is some expected alcohol heat on the swallow and aftertaste, but it isn't overpowering like I would expect. This drinks like a twelve or thirteen percenter, not eighteen, but it's definitely a sipper.

Feel: Full-bodied, slick, oily, but with some light carbonation. Lingering stickiness of brown sugar sweetness and citrusy hop character.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottled 1/14/2015 - right about a year old. Pours a hazy red-orange with minimal white head --- looks more like a Tree House IPA than I was expecting. Smell is boozy and sweet - not much hop aroma, more like a barleywine. Taste is similar, with definite sweet and boozy notes, but more bitter than a traditional barleywine - hops still coming through here, a little pine. Still, I wouldn't guess IIPA here. Pretty well carbonated for a year old beer - nice mouthfeel. Glad to try it but not my style.

A true triumph of brewing. Not much else must but said, except for that this beer is of course ideal in draft form in the very very deep dark of a december-feb/march night. It's strong. Be sparing.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 vintage - the heat is still there (with a barleywine sweetness) but super easy to drink for 18%. The hop aroma isn't present at all but there's still a bit of bitterness. Overall could probably use anothrr year in the cellar but is phenomenal anyway!

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A hop bomb just went off in my apartment. Wow, this thing is a slow burner that doesn't allow you to appreciate the hops or ABV until a moment after you've finished. Like a habanero pepper that's "not that hot" until about 15sec later

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into HF snifter glass

bottled 2012.........been hanging on to this for a while.........1st of the New Year

L-golden......... 3/4 inch head fades into a white cap rather quickly........heavy lacing.......carbonation rising from the bottom.......particulate floating around

S-sweet, honey, toffee, butterscotch, brown sugar

T-boozy, medicinal gives way to sweet candied sugars, more like a barleywine than IPA.........alcohol burn......like drinking brandy or rum.........lingering sweetness with warm alcohol burn in the finish.......like drinking a hard candy........burnt brown sugar........maple syrup........not much hops left to this one

F-full bodied, sweet, mild carbonation,

O-big sweet boozy bomb

4.06/5  rDev +2.5%

Another one that has somehow escaped my reviewing, one that I have from time to time, and with New Years looming figured it was a nice time to do it. 03/16/14 got a bit of age, but I like these better with a year or two on them.

Pours a decent foamy fizzy 1/2 finger head that fades at a med pace, nice head for a beer of this high abv, decent lacing too, murky reddish orange color.

NOse brings a mix of characters, like a piney citrus barleywine, plenty of piney hops, not mosaic like pine but a spicy earthy pine, bright floral piney hops, with more orange peel and citrus as well, candied orange peel, a mix of candied stone fruit like an apricot style thing. Big candy malt, caramel, a little toffee biscuit, amber malts, toasty malts and big malty aroma in general, but tons of various candy aromas.

Taste brings more sweet flavors, tons of sweet malts, toasty amber malts, pale malts, some caramel, biscuity notes, etc., but again most of all candy characters, candied malts, caramel toffee etc. Mild fruits, again candied stone and tree fruits, candied apricots, a little orange and tangerine notes, candied orange peel and sweet citrus, even a touch of white raisin. Fair booze warmth, not nearly as boozy as it should be which is why I like to give it a year or two, it's boozy fresh, some esters with that, faint phenols, and fair bitterness. Hops also bring a little pine zesty note, but not much. Finish is sticky sweet but dries a bit, more booze tingle coming through a bit, with sticky candied pine notes, as well as candied tree and stone fruits again, touch of citrus, and generic big sweet malt.

Mouth is med to a bit heavier bod, a little syrupy sweet, nice fluffy carb, some warming tingly booze but not a ton.

Overall def a unique and interesting beer. Fresh it's a bit too much of everything, a year or two gives it a lot of character and makes it at least tolerable in drinkability. A legend of it's own that just about lives up to it's potential, but isn't a beast or whale in any aspect, just a legendary beer everyone needs to try at some point.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery