Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,122 | Hads: 7,426
4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

Aroma: Very sweet malty aroma with a very grassy florally aroma. Caramelization and alcohol are present

Appearance: Very clear with a beautiful deep reddish/copper color. White head retention that lasts till the last drop.

Flavor: Very sweet melted candy like malt flavor up front, huge floral hop flavor with a very delicate hop bitterness. Hints of chlorophyll and pepper tones and a very fruity almost "fruit loop" or cotton candy like flavor. Alcohol is present.

Mouthfeel: A smooth full bodied ale

Overall Impression: Huge beer with extremely complex flavors. A sweetness that lasts for a while and finishes with a light delicate bitterness. I liked it more when at room temperature. A great beer right after a steak dinner, I think. Dogfish Head's 120 IPA is an Imperial India Pale Ale boiled for 2 hours while being continuously hopped with high alpha American hops, then dry-hopped daily in the fermenter for a month and aged for another month. (965 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -29.8%

I picked up a bottle of DFH 120 Minute IPA at a specialty shop to taste, review and enjoy. I poured this beer into a fute.

Pours a rich gold color and is slightly hazy. A sticky foamy one-finger white head forms and is quite resilient. The head is the consistency of whipped cream, and produces heavy lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell is fairly strong and typical of an IPA. It is a sweet and fruity smelling beer. There is a strong hop aroma, and evergreen or pine scent as well. The alcohol smell is hidden well by the other aromas.

The taste is also all about hops, and a bit one-dimensional really. The alcohol lends sweetness to the citrus flavor, making for a sweet grapefruit taste. It’s overly sweet and hoppy.

Mouth feel is quite thick and syrupy. This is a good sipping beer, with the consistency of a liqueur. Sip only and sip slowly.

This is not a particularly drinkable beer. It’s extreme flavor, heavy mouth feel and high alcohol content make it more of an experience than a drink. It’s price is as extreme as it’s flavor. I don’t think I’ll have 120 Minute IPA again, but I am glad I had it once. (1,144 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Poured an absolute gorgeous color of orange with a wonderful creamy looking half inch of head. Carbonation races to the top of the glass furiously. I really like the way this looks. Nice lacing too. The nose consists of syrupy malt and syrupy hops. Taste feels as if it's yet to be fleshed out. I bet some time under the belt would do wonders here. I get a hint of pine, sweet malt, and actually pretty well disguised alcohol considering the ABV. Not very complex yet, but I would surmise that's what the cellar is for with this beer. What I would give to try a 5 year old version of this. Mouth is rich and creamy. Drinkability suffers due to the immature taste. If it were ripe though, I can only guess that it would be off the chart. Thank you Dogfish Head for being adventurous in your brewing. Please continue to tread new grounds. (836 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +0.5%

This one gushed out a lovely, transparent amber bottom full of carbonation, with thin white lace on top forming a very small head.

Sweet, fruity nose, with phenols and alcohol. Also, strong on grapefruit.

Heavy carbonation with strong hop bitterness and a warming alcohol presence. Cloying fruitiness, ginger and spice, and a dominant phenol character in the taste. Biting tartness with a medium body, but surprisingly not too heavy or overwhelming.

Beware of this one, alcohol is VERY well masked. Not a bad showing from DFH at all. (544 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer poured a cloudy orange with a head like whipped egg-whites. Interesting looking beer.

The aroma of this one was sweet and there was some good pineapple aroma. There was some hop presence but not like you would expect.

The flavor is very nice. Not as hoppy as I thought it would be because the sweetness kind of balances it all out. There is some pineapple like flavor as well, a lot of residual sweetness here but it is tasty. There is some warming from the 22 ABV%. Great tasting beer.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with medium carbonation. Coats the mouth nicely.

This is a pretty drinkable beer for how strong it is. For the most part, the alcohol is pretty well hidden. It's obviously there but it doesn't hit you like you think 22% would. (765 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle
WOW this is a Barley wine in my book, in the same caliber of Bigfoot ale.
Nice creamy head, extraordinary lace all the way down. Incredible blast of flavors right off the bat. Malty sweetness balanced by big hop bitterness. great beer WAY expensive. would love to have some several years after cellaring, i think the flavors would blend and improve even more. (369 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

12 Oz bottle sampled through the efforts of dirtylou and The No BS BIF.

First I write out my will before approaching this hop bomb.

A pour in to my Duvel Tulip gives me a new motor oil thick and colored brew. A near clear apricot colored beer with a little bit of head, which is impressive as at 21% ABV this should be able to dissolve any head.

Smell is quite sweet and surprisingly fruity to the nose more like a barley wine than a mega IPA. Lots of aroma of melons and some pine and grapefruit. This has what I would call the Dogfish Signature aroma all over it, that melon smell that DFH seems to put in all its bigger beers. Bit of spicy black pepper is noticeable mostly from all the ethanol in this beer.

Taste is very sweet with a large hit of melons, fruit and raw sugar cane in the first taste. Very sweet beer with tons of melon and fruit flavors, this just isn't one of the better Mega IPAs like Pliny The Younger or FFF Dreadnaught.

Mouthfeel is syrup.

Not a super drinkable brew here. Super sweet and thick with a high alcohol content this is decidedly inferior to the best from Three Floyds or Russian River. (1,141 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Review from 3/14/15 (ratings changed to reflect this review) - On-tap at Yard House. Still a little too much alcohol and too thick for me, but I appreciate this more that I used to. An interesting beer for sure, but still not something I think I'll ever be craving.

Original review from 5/12/06

Look - 4.0
Smell - 2.5
Taste - 2.5
Fell - 2.5
Overall - 2.0
Avg - 2.49

Sampled from a fresh bottle dated 3/3/06. Color is a bright copper with lots of big, slow moving bubbles for carbonation. Head is tall, thick, and off-white. Retention is high for a beer with this much ABV. Not much here in for smell. Traces of citrissy hops, alcohol, and a fruity malt are noted. Taste is of a very sweet, make that an almost sickly sweet malt, with a slight edge of fruitiness. Strong alcohol flavor is in the mix. Some citrissy hop flavor fades into the background. I was actually expecting this to be a very, very hoppy beer. This reminds me more of a supped up euro strong lager, like something from Russia. There's just too much sweetness and alcohol here for my tastes. I'm gonna set my other bottle aside for a long, long time and see what happens. (1,148 characters)

3.92/5  rDev 0%

Holy hell! Is this a beer?

In the glass, it's a deep cloudy orange with no head. Little bubbles float to the surface. The aroma is sort of hoppy, but also fruity and sweet -almost Belgian-like. Oh, and alcohol. Big hits of alcohol waft off the surface of this monster and overpower everything. Taste and mouthfeel converge, as the thick syrupy body and alcoholic zing carry in a huge maltiness and potent hits of hop bitterness and flavor. With other hoppy beers, I can usually detect differences in hop flavors and aromas, but not here. I just know there are hops entering my body aggressively and I can't see past that. All of this is overlaid on a base of sweet malt. Seems like the yeast, if they could have taken this beer up to 30% ABV, would have had plenty of sugars to work with.

Overall, this is a very complicated and very strong beverage. Unlike anything I've ever had (a title that formerly belonged to Dogfish's Fort). If you haven't, try it. You won't regret spending the $9 for a bottle. Will I buy another bottle? Maybe. Not anytime soon; this is not one that I'll add to my standard lineup, but a worthwhile adventure. (1,142 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +0.5%

bottle from a 2003 batch, reviewed in May of 2006.

A: deep golden, turning to medium brown body. little to no head, though its more carbonation than I expected for the age of this bottle. doesnt look likemuch but I didnt buy it to look at it.

S: loads of sugar, and sweet candied fruit, raisons, some more tropical as well. no hops whatsoever. a little booze and a bit of toffee. plenty of carmelization.

T/M: nice viscosity, thick but coating and pretty drinkable considering. lots o' malt and sugar. very sweet. the hops have completely faded from this brew leaving this big thick and sweet body thats out of balance. plenty of juicy tropical fruits, even some candy qualities, a little cloying. hints of rum.

D: what can one say? a 21% DIPA? come one. this beer exists in its own world where mere mortal language and concepts arent sufficient. who knows? just drink one and you know what can never be said.

while my score for this isnt very high I enjoyed this brew and was impressed at how well it held up. the label says you can age it for a decade or so but i suspect you'd have really expensive paint thinner by then and not much else. get this sucker fresh, despite the alcohol content, dont make the mistake of cellaring this thing. (1,257 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

Man...that's a serious kick in the teeth! Even puts the most seasoned beer drinker back on their heels. The beer just plops into the glass, then laces and legs and carbonates around boastfully. Releases aromas of bigtime hops and malts with every descriptor word that has ever been used on this website. Flavors to the same, and more. Use every 'hop' adjective you know, use every 'malt' adjective you know. That's what this beer is. Use every 'mouthfeel' word you can think of. That's it too. The beer is more that an IPA; it's an IPAwine. Must be sipped like a cognac. The hops never subside under the imense malts and alcohol. Could easily be put in the 'Strong Ale, or Old Ale' catagories. Easily competes with Utopias for most powerful beer. A 100% joy and honor to drink. (777 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

All I can say is this beer will knock your socks off. There are two ways it can do this. Either by the hops aroma or the alcohol after taste.

I just picked up 3 cases of this in Richmond, VA and could not wait to get home to try it. When poured, it fills up the pint glass to the top with about an inch of head. It has a dark orange color to it. The scent is great, but may be over the top for some. If you don't like IPAs, don't waste your time or money, and at $9 a bottle it would be money well saved. You can smell the hops right away and there is some smell of alcohol. When tasted there is a flavor of great hops and some malt. I think it is a good balance since I like that type of beer. There is also a good bitterness to it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. (774 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Cloudy, dark golden color with a persistent 1 finger of head. Small bubbles move very slowly to the top after the pour, hinting at the thickness of this. Sheets of lacing cover the glass.

The smell is very very sweet. Bubble gum and spice.

This tastes very good, but not like any kind of "ipa" at all. It tastes like the best quad I've ever had. The sweetness tastes like candy sugar. Despite all the hops, they are hard to distinguish. I guess most quads I usually feel are unbalanced towards the candy sugar and alcohol, so the tons of hops in this I guess balance them out perfectly for me. The taste is very good and smooth and the alcohol at over 20% is not overbearing. The hops I think are little more than a spicy aftertaste on my tongue.

The alcohol in this beer actually numbs my tongue a bit. This has the consistency of engine oil and immediately begins to warm and numb my mouth with an alcohol spice.

I will give this a "4" on drinkability because it's amazing they have balanced this out so well at over 20% alcohol. It's an easy drinking beer, all things considered. More than one of these would be out of the question generally, but this one is mighty tasty and enjoyable. Fantastic balance for such a high abv extreme beer. (1,288 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -13.8%

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours a warm hazy dark orange body with a thick creamy mousse of a head. The head clings to the side of the glass and has a orange hue to it. After a bit there are some large bubbles starting to form in the head.

S- The smell of green piney hops comes through but not as strong as I was expecting. In the background there is some lightly caramel malt aromas. There is a nose of alcohol when this beer warms a bit.

T- The taste of caramel hops is quickly overpowered by a strong alcohol finish. The sweetness of the malt hangs on my lips and I didn't seem to notice the hops. Is this the right beer? With the next sip the alcohol note is blended with bitter hops as it burns my nose on the exhale. As the beer warms the hops start to come through but the alcohol becomes even more pronounced.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a strong alcohol heat in the finish.

D- I was expecting the hoppiest beer of my life but that was far from the case. I got loads of alcohol heat and some nice caramel malt note in the back but not the hops. This beer was fresh and I was hoping to get the most of the hops but no such luck. The bottle says the beer ages well but there is no "brewed on date" for reference. I love Dogfish Head but this beer is a bit of a letdown. I think with age the alcohol would die down but then do the hops die down even more? (1,400 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +12.5%

Here we go, the mother of IPAs, the mecca of hop-dom.

Pours a hazy golden orange, a slightly aggressive pour yielding a whopping two inch head, white, frothy, and cloudy, mounds of lacing sticking to the sides. After 2/3 of the bottle poured, waited for the head to settle, poured the rest in, and appeared almost smoke like streaks, clouds in the haze, must be the yeast, fascinating. Although it kind of freaks me out, this is way better/cooler than the Guiness avalanche. Quite frankly, one of the loviest (and most fascinating) brews I've yet seen.

A potent hop nose at first, then goes away, the alcohol not hiding but not oppressive, floral and has a sugar-like malty base beneath other elements.

Taste is much sweeter than I expected, and not nearly as hoppy, but you definitely need to take it slow, as the alcohol makes its presense known in the middle through the end, warming nicely, somewhat oppressive, though I'll use the term 'stern'. Mouth screws up from inital sweetness, kind of letting you off guard when the alcohol bite strikes like a cobra, puckering, and this is where the hop bittering makes its debut, and while basically overshadowed by the abv, combines with the sweet fruits and malts and sugars yielding an almost zen-like state of beer nirvana. And while I've seen others describe the taste as 'grapefruit-like', I'll say its more sweetly caramel-like syrup, coinciding with the thick mouth and the high abv to just linger there, giving you much to think about. Appropriately, the after taste, sweet and warming, stays with you for quite some time before receding.

This reminds me of when I first tried Samichlaus, another super-high abv beer, and this seems to IPAs what Samichlaus is to doppelbocks. It is wierd, as I know this is in the IPA style, I can feel it, but it has just been loaded with so much, almost to the point of overpowering, that it takes on a whole different character, a breed unto itself. One of a kind.

Take your time, sip away, respect and enjoy slowly. That is the nature of this beer, and while one person might say its hopped to high hell and abv is out of control, I say its a beautifully crafted. At $8, and basically needing to spend a half hour focusing solely on enjoying it, I can't imagine having more than one a year, or one every half year. But, I'll be headed back to the store to pick up a few to stash the cellar. (2,399 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

Golden orange with a head that stuck around longer than expected. Nose full of the gamut of hop offerings.

This should be more complex, but feel that the alcohol and sweetness really detract. Yes it is hoppy, but your mouth will warm and sticky up so fast you won't notice at times. Boozy nice sipper.

This is a young bottle, and I grabbed several, we'll see how it lives up in the basement. Good overall, but so far can't go wrong with 60/90 minute versions. (467 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -3.3%

04/22/06- Purchased via mail order..can't remember who with though.

Presentation- 12oz bottle. Bottled in year 2004. Has sat in my fridge for almost two years. Poured into my St. Feuillien goblet style glass.

Appearance- Glowing golden orange in color. 1/2 inch head at first...very sparkling white. Light rim of foam left behind while leaving medium spotty and streaky lace. A very nice sight indeed.

Smell- Really doesn't smell like much. Medium fusel alcoholic fumes with a light malty base and some muted sugary fruits. None of these smells really stand out though.

Taste- At first taste it doesn't seem like it's a 20% beer. After the first few sips you can feel it though. It's deceiving for sure. Malt actually comes out to play nicely. Good base leading to some sugary grapefruit and floral hops. Not to bitter though. Alcohol flavor is pretty strong and stays around into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- A bit higher carbonation than thought. Nice light bitter sugary coating on the tongue. Warming to be sure. Nice beer by the fire beer.

Drinkability- Umm, session beer...no. Maybe a once a month beer is you can stand to pay the $10 a pop. Not the hop bomb people expect, but a very nice sipping liquor-like beer. (1,237 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance-Golden amber with two fingers of off white head. Very inviting by the appearance.

Smell- Is sweet and fruity more of a pineapple smell. Very inviting.

Taste-Very sweet almost two sweet. Makes your mouth water and does not actually taste like pineapple but at this point more of just a mixed fruit.

Mouthfeel- Good carbonation not too smooth but a littlle on the heavy side. Leaves your mouth with a dry feeling.

Drinkability- Too sweet and wouln't try antoher i don't think but recommend trying at least once. Did a good job hiding the 21.00% alcohol. (575 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle thanks to chadbrew
Poured aggresively into chalice and produced fantastic 1-2" head!! Copper in color with fluffy off-white head and slight carbonation. Aroma from the hops was not as prominent as I thought it would be. Oaky alcohol on the nose woth fruit. I was expecting an absolute hop bomb but it wasn't. Great citrus tones with a little grassiness to it. The maltiness balanced this beer so well. Very thick mouthfeel. Definately looking forward to the other bottle. (488 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This stuff really hit me. It is definitely more drinkable than the extra and a little stronger than the WWS. Drank a little cooler than room temp (probably around 55 degrees, not sure if this is the proper serving temp or not...I figured this was around correct since the Burton was best at that temp).
The appearance of the 120 was pleasing, very orangey (with a hint of red). Pour was smooth and produced a very sutble lace.
It has a very sweet, citrus-like bouquet, but the faint hint of alcohol is definitely there.
This stuff is strong and not for the faint of heart. The 90 is definitely more drinkable and the 60 is the optimal beer for first-time Dogfish Head drinkers, but the 120 is pretty solid all around. Props to the brewers.
The mouthfeel is very oily and the drinkability is very low on this one. Definitely a sipper. (837 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured VERY aggressively into a large snifter and all I got was a one finger head of dense, off white foam that had lots of large wispy bubbles in it.

Smell is tougher for me to pin down though the alcohol is right up front. This seems somewhat bready and piney.

Taste is very sweet a little citrusy. The finish is all alcohol but even that seems ok. It is certainly only a sipping beer anyway.

Mouthfeel is thick but only a little syrupy. I'd say that's an accomplishment all it's own, considering the ABV of 21%.

Drinkability is a little less than I'd like to see. I thought WWS and Raison D'Extra were both VERY drinkable at 18% and 20% respectively so I was expecting more out of this one. All in all, I'm still pleased I have some to lay down for future tastings. (780 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

Served on tap in an 8 oz glass, this is a nice amber color with a thin white head, some decent lacing. Nose is a very strong citrusy hops, some floral notes, a sweet alcoholic undertone. Taste is a mix of burning alcohol and strong resinous citric and grapefruit hops. It's a little much, not nearly as enjoyable to drink as the 90. Full bodied with a slick oily mouthfeel, this one is definitely a sipper. This isn't nearly as drinkable as the WWS--I'm glad I tried this but don't think I will again. (501 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%

Finally got to try the big one. At $8.00 for a 12 ounce bottle and 21%ABV, not for the faint of heart. A pretty red/orange color with a medium head that quickly dissipated. All I could smell was sweet fruit and alcohol. The taste followed the odor: sweet,sweet fruit, alcohol, with a hops coming in later. A very thick, rich mouthfeel. I started with it chilled, let it sit, and finished it at room temperature. Definitely better at room temperature. I'd look at this as a dessert beer, and would figure that 6-12 ounces would be my limit. (539 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Having had the 60 and 90 minute versions, I was eager to try the big daddy and was so glad I did.

This had a great concentrated orange color, with a thick head which thinned quickly. Again, probably more my glass than the beer.

I smelled all of the hoppiness I would have expected in what I think is a DIPA: citrus and pine, and an overally spiciness that bordered on red pepper (cayenne-ish), balanced by a hint of malt in the background.

The taste was exactly the opposite of what I expected. It was hugely sweet; sugar, sweet fruit with a tang (think pineapple). A massive concentrated sweetness of lighter sugars (not deep fruit like a British Brown Ale), with some hop presence on a spicier note, like pepper. It finished with a big alcohol warmth, but less "fumey" than I would expect.

On the mouthfeel, again, it was a big alcohol warmth after the mouth-caoting sweetness. I'd classify it as medium bodied; just a hint of thickness from the sweetness of the beer.

Overall, I'd drink it again. Just once though...21% is quite a haul if I want any other beers on that given day! (1,098 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +24.2%

ok, going into this not knowing what to expect, super hops, super alcohol, super good?

A - pours a tea brown, with a white head that thoroughly laces rather quickly

S - Hops, hops, and more hops! a great smell with citrusy aromas with slight twangs of alcohol, vodka-y alcohol aroma

T - WOW!!! velvety smoothness, like a liqueur, surprisingly sweet. Of course the expected hops explosion, but to me, it tastes very well-balanced. This is one of my top 3 beers of all time!

M - what can i say, like drinking syrup, has a thick mouth coating sweetness, but not overkill, ive never had a more extremely well-balanced beer

D - super high, the ABV is the only drawback, dont drink any more than a bottle of this stuff if youre driving.

btw, the price is the only detractor. but worth it, just not every day

well done DFH (837 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery