120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,144 | Hads: 7,514
2.33/5  rDev -41%

Had the 2015 version on tap at Tap & Bottle in Tucson, AZ 09-10-2015.
This beer is cloyingly sweet, intensely boozy, and has a rich caramel slightly oxidized malt flavor. The hop aroma and flavor is quite low for an imperial IPA. This beer to me is either a mediocre barleywine, or a terrible Imperial IPA. Take your pick.

2.99/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Dogfish makes some wonderful stuff, but this one was just too much for me; for what it is, it's probably excellent, but the alcohol burn is just over the top. I love the 60 Minute and 90 Minute, and this one looks beautiful, a nice deep orange, but you can smell the alcohol quite strongly right from the start. Far more malty than hoppy, so despite the brewing process, very unlike your typical IPA. This would, I assume, be an excellent brew for those that like the extremes in beer, with high alcohol (and I sometimes do myself; Bourbon County Stout is a fabulous example), but for this one, the alcohol is just too strong and too forward for my taste, so I won't be buying again after my stock is gone. Again, probably very good if you like the alcohol forward beers, but be forewarned!

3.82/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottled July 22, 2015, so this is a fresh batch. Dark amber in color, with minimal head that dissipates quickly and a light haze that clarifies upon warming. Smells of malt, crackers, scuppernong grape, lemongrass, and alcoholic heat. Flavors of raw sugar cane, orange gumdrops, maple, grassy hop bitterness, and booze. When fresh, this makes no effort to disguise its high abv. None whatsoever.

I'm enjoying this more than the objective score would indicate, so chalk that up to the alcohol talking at the end of a long day. It's intriguing to call this an IPA; it's certainly not "too extreme to be called beer," but it also goes hard enough to end up outside of the typical IPA box. Interesting enough for me to set some on the bottom cellar shelf to forget about for a few years and see how time treats it.

3.24/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Look - Burnt orange / amber color. Quickly dissipating head and alcohol legs for days!
Smell - Sweet caramel malts, pine, brown sugar, touch of grapefruit, booze
Taste - A complete malt bomb. Sweet almost syrupy caramel malts, raisin, hints of grapefruit and apricot, very boozy, warm, slightly bitter

Overall - A big, heavy, super sweet, malty boozy beer. Not your everyday drink. Split two with my buddy over the Labor Day weekend. One was fresh and the other was aged a year. I will say the aged one was much more drinkable.

4.46/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look: One finger of off-white/tan head. Hazy amber in color. Pretty lacing. Active carbonation.

Smell: Heavy duty pine and earth. Smells like a hike through a pine forest. Some interesting grapefruit-like citrus.

Taste: Delightful amber and caramel malts. Light toast. Soapy pine hops. Slightly citrusy tropical fruit. Malts really overshadow the hops. Pretty dang complex and fairly well balanced for a DIPA. Heat is well subdued.

Feel: Barely sticky. Good carbonation. Perfect body.

Overall: This is a delightful and fun beer. Not sure how I feel about the price point... Ultimately I feel glad that I grabbed a second one to cellar. If $14 is to much for any single beer for you, I would still encourage you to get one.

3.64/5  rDev -7.8%

bottled 7/22/15

Never had this one before so I was excited. The alcohol comes through quite a bit. Not a burning way, but it brings a sweetness that is much different than any sweetness you'd get from malt and hops. Strange beer.

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%

Aged for 1 year. Pour is dark burn orange with little to zero head. No effervescence but slight lacing. Thick pour. Smell is of slight hop character and alcohol. If you didn’t know this was 18%, now you do. On the taste you taste the malt and of course the burn of booze, Very drinkable beer surprisingly considering the high abv. Might buy again, but at 10$ a bottle, it makes it tough.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%

Super unique beer. Very strong, but the alcohol and hops blend well. Surprisingly smooth. Someone else mentioned that it's sort of barleywinish. I would agree. Some citrus notes as well.

4.31/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pretty delicious, but a little more like a barlywine. The hops are very apparent but the malt is more of the star. Actually very drinkable for a beer this big. Obviously it's a little sweet and boozy, but the flavors are well balanced and not harsh.

2.75/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The smell is lightly hoppy, sweet, malty, and slightly hot. Taste is sweet and raisony and quite boozy. I'm glad I tried it once but it will be the last time. Certainly not worth $10/for 12oz. nb

4.13/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the brewery. Beautiful apricot color with a bright white head. Smelled great with a mix of caramel, brown sugar, orange and grapefruit. The taste highlighted the huge malt backbone with sweetness and a soft hoppy bitterness, maybe too soft for an IIPA. Not syrupy but with a dry finish. The huge alcohol presence was hidden surprisingly well. I liked this more than I anticipated.

3.93/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this on tap at the brewery. Right away I loved the copper color and sweet brown sugar aroma. I picked up some light fruit and mild citrus notes as well, but the main aroma was certainly heavy on the malt sweetness. I felt the taste did not quite live up to the style. There was some bitterness in the background and some hoppy characteristics, but this finished more like a barleywine and was almost too sweet. Definitely needs some additional strong high alpha hops to balance it out some more.

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I was surprised by the amazing aroma. Strong pleasant citrus and brown sugar. I really enjoyed the taste although it wasn't as hoppy as I was anticipating. Strong alcohol finishes. I hadn't realized how high the abc was ! I really enjoyed this beer.

4.73/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Look: dark Amber with a thick head from an aggressive pour into a Funky Buddha snifter.
Smell: strong alcohol smell upfront followed by fruity apricot tones.
Taste: definite barley-wine flavors with a warm alcohol finish.
Feel: sticky thick warmth.
Overall: excellent beer. I would enjoy this after a fine steak. At $1 per ounce it's a little pricey, but on special occasions it's a great beer. This was poured without aging. I have two additional 12oz bottles in my fridge. I'm planning on letting them age for 6 and 12 months before trying them.

3.75/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm let down I can't lie. I was expecting the hop equivalent of a nuke. But honestly, the sweet syrupy malt backbone somehow manages to all but cover the hoppyness. For the abv, I will say this is unbelievably drinkable, but I think dfh needs to use more aggressive hops, high alpha acid stuff.

3.81/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Given how much I love the 60 and 90, I was a little disappointed with the 120. It just doesn't quite work and I'd always choose a 90 (or several 60s in-lieu of this one)

While on a beach vacation to Dewey, Delaware I stopped in Milton at the brewery and had a 10 oz serving at the brewery, excellent!

I enjoyed it so much that I went back a few times during the vacation to have several more 10 oz serving.

Definitely recommended!

4.48/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16 ounce pour from my favorite beer store

A- Copper with a nice foam level that stays present for the whole drinking experience.

S- This is a winner in the smell category, the depth of the sweetness is epic. My sense of smell is pretty poor and I'm thrilled with what I'm getting off of this. This is caramel and sugar in a real good way.

T- Definitely in an IPA world of its own, complex sweetness and booze in a damn good way.

M- It has the sticky presence I expected for an 18.5% ABV. Certainly a full mouthfeel sipper.

O- I had begun to sleep on Dogfish Head a little bit, suffice it to say I'm awake again or at least I will be after this one wears off. This is what I look for in a beer, something that makes you take notice. Something that makes you want to sip for a good long time.

4.19/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was aged one year and I'm thrilled with the results. When this is fresh, it's so syrupy and boozy, almost impossible to drink. A year of age makes this a nice barely wine style liqueur. Why not just buy a fresh barley wine? What barley wine features over ripe citrus and integrates 18% alcohol like this beer? Pours a beautiful bright, burnt orange with a half finger head. Aroma is caramel, orange, candied grapefruit, and booze. Tastes like a citrus liqueur. Mouth feel is medium and syrupy. It's very sweet, but the booze is well integrated. It's much brighter than most barely wines. I had 2013 Sucaba the other night I prefer this. Definitely worth picking up and celaring.

4.83/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours copper orange with one finger head.
Smells sweet and citrusy with a slight hoppiness behind it.
Taste sweet, a lot of citrus fruit. It's almost candy like. Finishes with very slight dryness. Really enjoyed it.
Thick and syrupy mouthfeel with next to no carbonation.
Great beer! Hope I get a chance to get it again.

3.83/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

In review is a 2012 vintage bottle.

A - Pours a semi-hazy amber color with a frothy ring of lacing.

S - Sweet candy malt aroma, lots of booziness.

T - Booziness dominates from start to finish followed with fermented caramel sweetness, with some citrus and pine emerging at the tail end of the sip, borderline medicinal without crossing the line.

M - Pronounced alcohol warming on the way down and continues to keep the throat toasty warm. Thick, full bodied, lip smacking sticky, velvet on the tongue.

O - Everyone already knows about the reputation of this beer, definitely a sipper and will take quite awhile to work through this bottle if you're drinking alone. I'd rate higher but the alcohol really masks a lot of the beer. (Had this beer so many times in the past, why haven't I rated this one yet???!)

3.31/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Got a few bottles of this.. Couldn't wait to drink 1 and taste was strong! Strong wood taste. It's been a year and I'm gonna wait longer for next one.

4.38/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served at Union Jack's bar in Winchester VA in a goblet glass

A: Bright gold color

S: All sweet malt with slight piney hops to balance it. Some alcohol sweetness to the nose

T: Sweet caramel malt up front with some toastyness followed by alcohol sweetness and then hop and alcohol bite to make sure it isn't too cloying. This beer would have to be hopped for 120 mins or else it would be waaaay too sweet.

F: Mouthfeel is medium heavy, doesn't sit in the mouth too long but definitely had some weight to it, a little chewy in a good way.

O: Overall a balanced beer and one worth sipping for a while. If you can find this beer it is worth the experience.

4.85/5  rDev +22.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers i have ever had, and at 18%, one will give you a buzz in no time, haha, it ages real well and was told to wait a year to try one and see how it defers from buying it right away.

3.83/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a two year old bottle that's been cellaring. Gonna keep it brief. Wood, alcohol and candied fruit on the nose. Those characteristics follow through to the taste, with any hop profile really overwhelmed by oak, vanilla and alcohol heat. Some cloying sweetness on the finish. Bourbon barrel character. Wouldn't mind trying a fresh one for comparisons sake. Truthfully, I'd take a fresh 90 minute IPA over this

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery