120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
twizzbeatz

05-24-2013 16:13:09 | More by twizzbeatz
StoutHunter

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA a couple weeks ago for $8.89 at The Lager Mill. Well it looks like this will be my 600th review, I always like to get something that I wouldn't normally buy for these milestones. This is the first time I have seen this beer around so I thought I should take a chance on it, I have heard that this is a really intense and potent beer and since it's something that doesn't show up around here often I thought it would make for an interesting 600th review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, 2013 Vintage, it's pretty fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The The label looks nice, it's simple, but it's got a clean and classy look to it, I like it and the special bottle cap is a nice change. It poured a very hazy and nice orange color that took on some darker amber hues when held to the light with almost two fingers worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I really like the color and the head and lacing were much better then I thought it would be for such a high alcohol beer, I like it.

S- The aroma starts off with a very high amount of sweetness followed by lots of hops that impart a huge citrus fruit aroma with some tropical fruits in the background with some papaya, mango and pineapple like aromas sticking out the most. Up next I get some malt aromas that were a little grainy and pretty biscuit like followed by lots of sweet malt aromas. Towards the end I get slight cannabis and herbal like aroma that blend nicely with other aromas and is followed by some strong alcohol aromas that let you know this beer means business. This beer had a very good aroma, it was pretty complex and very intense lots of strong alcohol and hop aromas.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma, it starts off with a very high amount of sweetness that instantly coats the mouth and is followed by tons of citrus hop flavors with some tropical fruits in the background and all the nice fruits that I picked up in the aroma show up nicely in the taste and it really dominates the taste buds. Up next comes some biscuit like and very sweet malts followed by a medium amount of high bitterness with some herbal flavors showing up towards the end with a hoppy, citrus and warming alcohol aftertaste. This beer tasted very good, the alcohol was pretty warming but not overly harsh and it wasn't overly bitter either with some nice citrus hop flavors and lots of sweets malts, It's a complex sipper.

M- Not the smoothest, but smoother than I thought it would be, syrupy, sticky, on the medium side of being full bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation that worked well with this beer. The mouthfeel was was pretty good and it worked well with this beer, I thought it had just the right amount of carbonation.

All in all I thought this was a good beer and a very good and extreme example of the style, once you get past the intensity there some nice layers of flavors and aromas that make it a pretty complex beer that's nice to sip on. It didn't have the best drinkability, it's going to take me quite awhile to make it through the whole bottle and I really don't see a way that I could drink another one unless I wanted to get completely wasted, one is the perfect size and it would also be nice to split with someone. What I like the most about this beer was how complex it was, it seems like every time I smelled or sipped it I picked up a new aspect that I didn't get before. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness, I know beers this strong are always pretty sweet but this one was bordering on syrupy sweet. I would buy this beer again, If I see it again I would like to get a couple bottle for the cellar, I have no doubt that this will age well and hopefully it will get a little smoother with age, I would recommend this to anyone who likes strong and intense beers, just because you like a couple IPA's doesn't mean your ready to take on the hop and alcohol onslaught which is 120 Minute IPA. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, it wasn't as harsh as I was expected but it was still a very intense beer that isn't for the faint of heart. Dogfish Head did a great job with this beer, I know when a brewing a beer that is this strong it can get to be pretty difficult and it shows how confident Dogfish Head is to regularly make a beer that's this intense and so difficult to brew, it takes balls to do something like that and you have to be a little crazy, but it all comes together as one hell of experience that everyone should have least once. So far this is the strongest beer I have ever had, I think it's about 18%. Good job Dogfish Head, it's nice to have a brewery like you guys that makes special beers like these that are great to have on special occasions, here's to 600 more reviews.

05-24-2013 04:05:40 | More by StoutHunter