2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Reviews: 1939

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Ratings: 5,254 | Reviews: 1,939 | Show All Ratings:
ricknelson

Vermont

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Our group of 4 Beer Advocate members did a recent small bottle tasting of high alcohol brews.
Among the 12 brews tasted was; 120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head. The 120 Minute IPA received
our 2nd highest average score of the 12 brews tasted at 4.69. At 18% this was a very smooth beer.

01-27-2014 17:11:05 | More by ricknelson
argock

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a clear glass snifter. Bottled on 07/22/11 on the bottleneck. Purchased at Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Hazy bordering on cloudy amber with a pretty decent oatmeal colored 1-finger head on the pour which fades quickly and leaves no lace.

S: The aroma is of an American barleywine with heavy caramel malt sweetness and a somewhat passive floral and citrus hoppiness.

T: The flavor is also of an American barleywine, and a pretty middle of the road one. A good caramel malt kick with toffee and raisin/date flavors mixed with light grapefruit citrus and floral hopping. Alcohol is pretty warming although I have to give DFH some credit on keeping the alcohol presence for a 15+% beer pretty well in the background.

M: Sticky and tacky, a little syrupy but what do you expect at this ABV?

O: OK I admit that i did not have the balls to try this fresh mainly because solventy alcohol booze is not my thing -- I will drink hard alcohol if that was what I was looking for. I might try this again at one year old and see -- this one is 2.5 years old and already is firmly in the American barleywine camp. A pretty big letdown but I might give it another try if I can find a younger bottle.

01-26-2014 04:24:38 | More by argock
Omnium

3.56/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Ohh boy, finally get to review this one...
On tap at House of 1000 Beers on 12-21-13

A - Clear gold no head, no lacing.
S - Pine, tart grape, pineapple, sweet candy malt
T - Huge massive sweet alcohol, very little hop bite or presence, mildly tart, some banana, grape, grapefruit
M - Overwhelming sweetness.
O - This beer is sheerly overhyped for no good reason, its just a massive alcohol bomb. Its just a stupid beer.

01-22-2014 02:37:55 | More by Omnium
fire34fighter

4.75/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorite beers. Hides the alcohol bite pretty well. Very sweet with a strong vanilla note. Currently aging a few bottles to do a side by side. Not as "hoppy as most IPA's surprisingly. The 90 is also very good, and a lot easier to find. This is more of a rare find/special occasion beer for me.

01-05-2014 00:27:34 | More by fire34fighter
TTAmod

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

7/02/13 bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy medium-amber color. Very little white head on top. Starts at about one finger and dissipates to just a thin ring.

S: Smells yields obscenely strong pine hop smells. There's a bit of citrus, as well. There's also intense malt flavors coming off of the nose, as well. Not really any alcohol, surprisingly.

T: The slightly older bottle has really balanced this out from the last time I've had it. Still have really strong, raw hop flavors upfront, but it's not overpowering. Pine, slight bit of citrus, even a hint of darker fruit. Grass, marijuana, and herbal notes, as well. There's a bit of alcohol after that. Lots of sweet, strong malt supports the hops. The fresher bottles don't really showcase this aspect. Finishes slightly alcoholic and bitter.

M: Honestly, the body is pretty big here, and it doesn't go down too easy, but it's to be expected for this strength. Yes, it drinks like a beer, but it's not very well carbonated, and it's pretty sweet, resulting in a thicker consistency.

O: This is a novelty DIPA. It's good for what it tries to be. It's not supposed to be balanced or conventional in any way. Therefore, it's really, really hard to grade this one. This is a must try for any beer person...it's a right of passage into beer geek-dom.

01-01-2014 03:19:24 | More by TTAmod
BeerDawgs

Georgia

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated 2012.

A - Cloudy orange. A touch of head and a small amount of lace. Lots of sediment flow

S - HOPS and BOOZE! Potent. Warning...flammable!

T - Sweet and malty. Hops are up front and are huge in the aftertaste. The sweetness is up front, and the booze is potent from the 1st taste all the way down the gullet. Definitely warms you up quick!

M - Full bodied, oily and slick. Coats your mouth like syrup before it releases its hop bomb!

O - A sipper for sure, but an amazing one at that. Well done. Think of it like buying a nice bottle of wine. It costs the same and is definitely a sipper

12-31-2013 02:42:51 | More by BeerDawgs
neophilus

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Copper colored body, thin white head. Somewhat cloudy but not opaque.

Aroma is a great pairing of thick, sweet malt body and aggressive hopping. Hop resins float above a stew of sweet bread scents. Hops are leaning on the piney resin side of American hop profiles.

Bitter hop flavor up front immediately washing through thick sweet maltiness. Swirling flavors of pine resin, toffee, caramel and rich doughy fresh baked bread.

Thick mouthfeel sticks to the roof of your mouth and coats the tongue with lucious flavor. Somewhat chewy. Hop resin flavors flow throughout the aftertaste mingling with warming alcohol heat to create a stiff but inviting bitter finish.

A monster of a beer that responds well to some warmth and sips like a good cognac. I suppose I should share with a friend... but I won't. It's all mine.

12-25-2013 18:58:10 | More by neophilus
Premo88

3.14/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottled poured into tulip
(7/26/13 bottled on date)

L: hazy orange, closing in on 100% opaque after the pour; light does pass through and it's clearing up some; smallish head, maybe 1/4-inch of white foam, and it does stick and lace a little; I could've poured a bit harder and gotten a bigger head ... you can see it REALLY percolates off the pour

S: full-on caramel/mango sweet ... I now know it as the DIPA smell, and it's full blast; so sweet bubblegum is coming to mind

T: follows the nose with a covered-up but still very much there BIG bitter bite. it's underneath all the crazy caramel (now vanilla) sweetness, but there is surely a bitter hop taste to go with the rest of the sweet

F: syrup. took thick for me, but it does hold on to enough carbonation to make it drinkable. considering the American over-the-type style which it resides in, this makes sense

O: it's a bit of a workout ... the massive sweetness, the super-thick syrupy mouthfeel, the slight alcohol burn -- I could see even an avid DIPA fan not going for this. at the same time, this brew is coming off like pretty much every other DIPA I've tried in that huge caramel/mango/vanilla sweetness both in the nose and taste, and while I can feel and detect the at-least 15% ABV, it's actually hiding it pretty well.

12-17-2013 23:47:19 | More by Premo88
TheosTheories

3.64/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2012 bottle

A- cloudy deep orange color, very little carbonation, very very little head

S- very sweet, big caramel toffee hits me first, alcohol, little vanilla, and some sort of oakiness also. I'm really not getting any hops.

T- again big sweet caramel malts, toffee, vanilla, alcohol, finishes a little dry, some earthy hop notes hidden aswell.

M- big sticky and thick with no carbonation.

O- overall it was okay, I enjoyed it a lot when it was fresh. But the hops really died out. Its almost not even an IPA anymore in my opinion.

12-09-2013 20:49:43 | More by TheosTheories
MCain04

3.39/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle, '11 vintage, poured into a DFH IPA glass. I've had this fresh on tap before and really enjoyed it, 4.5/5. I aged this bottle for 2 years to compare.

Pours a murky brown-orange with some sediment which settles to the bottom of the glass. Small head of off-white color which dissipates quickly with minimal lacing.

Smell is sweet caramal, toffee, and vanilla. Strong alcohol aroma. Dark fruits and fig are present. Perhaps some dark chocolate. Very little hops. If blind I would have guessed the style to barrel-aged barleywine to be sure.

Taste is along the nose, with a sweet cloying caramel and toffee flavor accented by vanilla notes and dark fruits and chocolate. Again very little hop flavor, and little bitterness to balance the sweetness.

Mouthfeel is full, smooth, syrupy, low carbonation, cloying.

Overall, I can see how one who isn't a fan of ultra-hopped beers would prefer this brew aged to tone down the alcohol and bitter hoppy nature. However, 2 years on this has essentially turned this into an over-the-top barleywine. I'll take the fresh version every day of the week, this was a drain pour.

12-09-2013 14:16:53 | More by MCain04
Jhschappe

District of Columbia

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

As a hophead, this is my perfect pallet wrecking brew. The hops punch you in the face the moment this huge beer passes your lips. Be careful because the 18+ ABV will kick you in the face faster than a pissed off mule. Grab a few if you can drink half and store the rest. This year beer much better than your ex.

11-30-2013 14:16:46 | More by Jhschappe
MattyBones

4.14/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

When I first got into Craft beer I was obsessed with Dogfish Head beers so needless to say when I saw this sitting on the shelf I had to have it. I bought 6 of them for about 12 bucks a pop believing it really would be the Holy Grail of beer lol. It was good, but not to sure it was worth the price.

Appearance: Pores a rich coppery color with a very thin white head. As I pored it into the glass I could see the syrupy thickness.

Smell: Extremely pleasing to the nose, a mixture of tropical fruits and hints of the alcohol.

Taste: ALCOHOL!!! I get all types of tropical fruits mixed in like mango, some pineapple and maybe guava, not sure. Decent amount of bitterness all followed up by the slow burn of alcohol. To me the alcohol outshines the rest of the flavors a bit.

Mouthfeel: Like drinking syrup. :) A thick, syrupy feel that coats the mouth and hangs onto your palate for quite some time.

Overall: Solid and I probably would have enjoyed it more if the alcohol was a little more well hidden. I'm curious as to how this tastes with some age behind it. Every time I tried it the longest it sat was a month.

11-13-2013 15:47:09 | More by MattyBones
coldy

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow....

I first had this beer about 5 years ago from a bottle, and have had it several times since. I recently had this on tap at the Dogfish brewpub.

This is an unbelievably tasty, strong beer. I really enjoy trying the strong beers out there, and the 120 continues to be the benchmark in my opinion.

Interestingly enough, the 120 actually has less hop characteristics than the 90, and even 60. My understanding is that is due mainly to the high alcohol content.

The 120 has just the right amount of strong alcohol notes, carbonation and complexity to make it an outstanding beer that is just right for sipping and enjoying in a snifter or wine glass.

I am a huge Dogfish fan, and I know they love to experiment and create new beers constantly, but this is one that hopefully remains in limited production and unchanged.

Delicious

11-09-2013 18:01:37 | More by coldy
SPThirtyThree

Colorado

4.21/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This bottle is 4 years and 1 month old, to the day, making this the oldest DFH120 I've ever tried. The bottle advertises that it ages well, and I'm curious to see how it compares to fresher versions.

A: Murky copper with apricot edges. I let a lot of sediment into my goblet towards the end of the pour, peppering flecks that cling to the curved sides of the goblet, huddling towards the bottom. A half-finger head of yellowed creme quickly falls to a small blob of fine bubbles in the middle from the etching, and then the head further recedes to a thin collar of tan.

S: The nose is really interesting on this because I remember it being hop-heavy, but this one is a sweet, complex, plum fruitcake. It's chewy and a little hot, and the fruits are both dark and citrus-laden.

T: Tangy pineapple. This beer is sweet and resinous. Hot alcohols yield to sticky sweetness, touched off by the fruity notes of the west-coast hops. There's a lemon tang, and a slight metallic flavor, but both could just be features of the heat behind the flavor.

At 4 years, I notice DFH120 has a huge Belgian-candy spicy sweetness, and the finish tastes of fusels, but not enough to spoil the flavor. I also think I'm getting some acetaldehyde from start to finish, but it's masked by some of the heavier flavors and heat. There's a slight toasty breadiness malt also buried in there somewhere, but the theme is spice and heat.

As it warms, some vanilla, cocoa, bourbon, and nutty flavors become more pronounced, and this beer starts to have an aftertaste and mouthfeel like drinking a Scotch on the rocks. Since it's 3X the strength of a standard craft beer, I feel the effects of the alcohol only halfway through. The sweetness remains through the full session, keeping the heat in check.

M: Hot, astringent, and thin, but not unpalatable. It feels oily from the viscousness of the alcohol, and carbonation seems very low. It's very prickly on the tongue, with various spicy, hot, and astringent sensations happening and different times on different parts of the tongue. The finish is very interesting with many different elements to focus on, like a distinct stickiness in the center of the tongue.

This beer is a nice sipper, a winter warmer. It's a blend of harsh flavors, and the hope is that they balance harmoniously. The 18% alcohol is impossible to mask, but DFH120 is very smooth given it's strength. However, it's heat, metallicity, and green-apple flavors detract from it's overall palatibility. I'm not sure if two of those words are actually words, but either way, DFH120 is obviously a famed, huge beer, and it's delicious despite some unpleasant flavors.

Overall, there are so many different sensations to focus on while drinking 120 minute, that this beer stays interesting through every sip, and for every bad flavor it seems like there are two delicious ones, so it's not fair to knock this beer for some of its harshness.

11-05-2013 19:53:58 | More by SPThirtyThree
mverity

2.36/5  rDev -41.9%

Bottle from 11-26-08. Poured a deep orange with some whitish head. Very little lacing. Aroma was mostly boozey nail polish. Taste was about the same; really boozey, some citrus, some vanilla, some medium malt sweetness. Ended up drain pouring this. Sad, because this beer is great fresh, and great with 2-3 years on it. I'll be cracking the rest of my old bottles soon to see how they're holding up.

11-04-2013 18:03:19 | More by mverity
rdilauro

Connecticut

4.01/5  rDev -1.2%

To start with I am a big fan of Dogfish Head brews. I have tasted some of their more unique beers, some which I loved, some which I didnt like at all.

This 120. First time I had it was about 2 years ago. I remember back then that it was 'over the top' for me. Too much, the bitter hops really didnt come across. But instead, all I picked up was the alcohol.

Now, I tasted it again and came away with the same conclusion

We make it a deal that at the end of the night, when the store closes up, we taste one or two brews. Lately, I've been working with this young fellow (Joe) who has recently gotten into the premium crafted beers. I select the beer, we taste them and he always enjoys them. He may say that this one has too much or, that it wasnt until the second sip, etc....

But when it came to the 120. It was hard for him. As it has been hard for me.

I love DogFish Head Beers, but the 120 isn't one for me

10/24/13
This is probably my fifth time tasting this one in a serious fashion. I noticed that the overall appearance, color, and head were a bit more vibrant then I remembered in the past
The aroma was also more appealing. A definite nose of hops, but not that strong citrus grapefruit you get from highly hopped beers. The taste was full, for the amount of hops, you would expect more bitterness, but I think the amount of malt used here sort of masks the hops. I also did not pick up on the high abv. I've tasted beers in the 9% range that had a more distinct alcoholic taste.
I have to admit, I am beginning to enjoy this more. Its a beer to be taken seriously. Its not a chuggable easy drinking beer. Its more like a fine quality snipping beverage. I have 2 in my cellar hoping to age them for about 2 more years. It will be very interesting to taste them later.

10-25-2013 03:54:05 | More by rdilauro
KVNBGRY

4.36/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

From notes. I forgot to review this back in April.
Bottle 2-15-13 (fresh in the sense this beer needs to age.)

Appearance - Copper, clear, lively body below a tiny white head that left no lacing.

Aroma - Alcohol, sweet malts, faint whole cone hops.

Taste: The same as the nose, just more pronounced. Aftertaste is sweet alcohol-soaked hops.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy, average carbonation, warming alcohol presence.

Overall: I would drink it again and again. Alcohol is king though. I would rather age for a while. Definitely drinks smooth for being 18% alcohol. Almost too smooth.. Would like to try this aged in oak barrels.

10-23-2013 16:48:17 | More by KVNBGRY
ubenumber2

Arkansas

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A. Nice thick 2 finger head with lots of lacing that just sticks to the sides of the glass all the way down , nice amber color

S. A little off flavor on the smell , I think its the cross between the IIPA and the Barleywine type of brew this is

T. Wow , this should be called a Barleywine , I want this aged in a Bourbon Barrel

M. Nice thick mouth on this brew , perfect for the style

O. I had two bottles , one to drink , putting some age on one , this should be called a barleywine , it is great

10-22-2013 02:08:07 | More by ubenumber2
Chicagoborn1978

Georgia

4.71/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Man...what a beauty! Beautiful copper color with an amazing aroma of maltiness and hops. Such a perfect balance of sweet and bitter. I was fortunate enough to sit at a Dogfish Brewpub beer and cheese tasting where we tasted this! With what I wish I cold remember! I wish I was patient enough to age one!

10-14-2013 18:16:21 | More by Chicagoborn1978
GreesyFizeek

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle purchased at Nathaniel Square Corner Store, in Rochester, NY.

Pours a clear dark orange, with a 1 inch head, and not much lacing. Looks quite oily, with no visible carbonation.

Smells include sweet malt, alchohol, honey, and lemon pledge type hop aromas.

The tastes include resinous piney hops, honey, sweet malts, lemon, orange, and more coying honey sweetness all throughout. For a beer that is supposed to be one of the hoppiest there is, this one slightly disappoints. The malt flavor and alcohol overwhelms everything else. A bit of a chore to drink.

Medium bodied, slow sipper due to alcohol. Low carbonation. Sticky sweet mouthfeel.

60 and 75 are much better, 90 is where they start to lose me on this series, 120 is way too much.

10-04-2013 00:49:27 | More by GreesyFizeek
TxMdScotty298

Maryland

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Very full flavored beer! Really enjoyed drinking this beer. They say that it gets better the longer you age it. I have two almost a year old and it has been hard not to crack them open and enjoy another one. Keeping strong though and looking forward to having them.

10-03-2013 03:53:13 | More by TxMdScotty298
Gustheelephant

Alaska

12oz Bottle poured into an oversized snifter

Appearance - Looked liked a standard DIPA, amber caramel color, little bit of head, not much retention. Looks as big as it is.

Smell - Surprisingly mild, but still delicious. Perfect hop and malt smell with a boozy tint. Doesn't smell like an 18%, but more like a 8-9% DIPA.

Taste - Wow. Balance is the key word here. Comes in somewhat light with a strong finish. The hops are definitely present, but not overpowering like I thought they may be. Hint of warmth at the end, totally masking the ABV. Everything just comes together so well.

Mouthfeel - Again, perfectly balanced. Dry but not too dry. Coats the tongue, but not too much. I could sip away for days, it's like sweet nectar.

Overall - Lived up to the hype. Since I couldn't find it anywhere near me, it was certainly a treat to finally try it, and compare it to the other DFH IPAs. Would drink again in a heartbeat.

10-01-2013 07:40:51 | More by Gustheelephant
Cylinsier

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

from a 12 oz. Re-review from 2009.

Pours a hazy reddish brown, with off-white fine head at about a quarter inch. Dissipates to a film.

Smells like piney grapefruit hops, honey, a hint of booze, and a bit of biscuity malt.

Tastes very sweet like apples, followed by honey and a bit of nuttiness. The hops are citrusy and subdued, surprisingly not bitter. They are there, but the malt wins out in this beer.

Full, viscous body with light tingles of carbonation throughout the mouth. Notable booze sting and warmth going down.

I like this beer a lot more now than I did a few years ago. I don't think the beer is all that different, just my tastes. It doesn't taste like an IPA, more like a barelywine. The hops are there in the aroma but more subdued in the flavor. Definitely a world class brew.

09-30-2013 17:28:21 | More by Cylinsier
utopiajane

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Pours an orange copper color. Nice and clear. Streaming effervescence and a practically no head, wet lace and alcohol legs.

The nose is succulent ripe orange with a perfectly ripe pink grapefruit behind that. It has some pine on the nose and plenty of malt. Deep, rich full malt. Caramel, toffee and sugars. You would think that with the tremendous abv that there would be some alcohol on the nose but there is none. Very impressed. It does not really smell like beer but rather like a liquor.

Taste is rich and sweet orange. Not just the fruit but the rind and the pith as well. the pink grapefruit is there to add tartness and the pine is like sap and really sticky. The mouthfeel is thick although the body of the beer is not that thick. It's got a fat, full malt that keeps expanding to carry the both the fruit and the alcohol. There is a whopping 18%? You can't tell that from the palate. It warms at the back of the throat and encompasses the chest so it drinks like a whiskey. It gives a blush to the cheek and puts a smile on your face. It's terribly sweet and needs the bread in the malt to carry that. You don't taste too much bread though because it has that much alcohol and that much sweetness.

This beer is an experience. If I had to say it reminds me of any one beer style I would say DIPA but still not really. It warms and intensifies with some molasses and nutty flavors to come out on the malt and with a nice sticky and creamy edge to the mouth fell. As many times as I have said sweet and sticky it is not cloying. The carbonation is ample and it refreshes in the glass but you don't notice it in the very dry finish because the alcohol is warming and drying and because the malt is thick and rich and sweet.

Intense. Extreme.

09-20-2013 19:03:14 | More by utopiajane
brewskifan55

Mississippi

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter

A: A clear golden bronze with a minimal off white head that left the room rather hurriedly. Light lacing.

S: A nice wave of piney hops followed by citrus notes of orange and lemon

T: Here's where I was pleasantly surprised. For all its hop appeal the 120 Minute is one of the smoothest drinkers in the category. Red grapefruit rushes in, followed by a sweet smooth shower of malts. The piney hops are really diminished by the malt intervention; perfect for my palette. I didn't realize the ABV was so freakin' high; it never overwhelms the taste. A terrific sipper with a dry finish.

M: Medium with medium, frothy carbonation.

O: Glad I got to try this revered brew. One of the smoothest imperial IPA's I've had. Share with friends.

09-20-2013 15:26:20 | More by brewskifan55