120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

4.83/5  rDev +17.5%

*This review is intended to both instill anecdotal worship and fear*

I must start my review to stating that after an long arduous day at work I knew that the 120 minute in the fridge was going to be the right option to take the edge off. I must first state that I went into my drink with awe inspiring fear based off a previous experience.

To understand the sense of trepidation I am compelled to explain, at the fledging stages of my craft beer educational a few years ago in a far away land called Delaware and decided nothing would be better than a trip to the Dogfishead Brewery, the brewery was awesome. We did some tasting and tried some new things and upon departure, a white light shined from the heavens and drew me towards the golden pyramid of 120 minute IPA. At junction I had only ever had 60 minute IPA so my logic dictated that if 60 minute IPA was awesome then 120 had to be twice as awesome. So the beer gods guided my hand the register and back home to the hot tub never stopping to read a review or consider the alcohol content could be different.

I cracked open the first 120 around 5pm and before 6pm they were all, gone. I do not recall much of my thoughts on my first tasking but judging by the speed they were extinguished I can safely assume I thoroughly enjoyed them. Shortly after I can only tell you what my companions told me as I do not recall the rest of the events of the evening. Apparently I cooked a steak and some tuna, but unable to tell the difference I added sesame seeds to my steak and A1 to my tuna. Then proceeded to play Jenga was but astonished that the game was obviously rigged as I could not get one block out without the tower toppling to the floor.

The next morning during quite refection and the sound of bongs beating internally in my head I decided to look at the abv to see what happened, 20 percent! yow! I then decided beer math was in order, yikes I drank the equivalent of 20 miller lites in less than an hour. From this moment 120 minute IPA became my great white whale.

Years later I decided the moment had come for Ahab to conquer Moby Dick, and this moment was yesterday evening. With the eurphoria of a kid at Christmas overtaking the underlying sense of fear I dove in.

The color was a milky golden hue indicating a think and robust beer. The aroma had a mild smell of alcohol but was far less than one would assume for such a strong abv. The malt and caramel smells did an amazing job of hiding the strong alcohol content, and the thick frothy head maintained that solid aroma from start to finish. The mouthfeel was smooth as silky and the taste was a balanced melding of sweet malt backbone what strong hops and mild caramel and fruit undertones. The beer was balanced from start to finish, and left you wanting more.

BUT, proceed with caution, this beer is so easy to drink that you may feel "a few more won't hurt" , but this beer will "Cure what ALES ya" and then some!

A must drink!

4.66/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on 2/17/14. Poured into a chalice. $11.99/12oz

Zowie! Why don’t I drink this beer more often – maybe because it’s hard to find! I need to keep this beer in stock. Very unique. Less than a month old. This young beer, with all of its residual sweetness should be very interesting after some aging, but that said it is a “drink-now” beer. 4.75

A – Pours a cloudy pale golden with a one-finger white head – IMO a great looking head for a beer with such a high ABV. Good lacing as well. An extra 0.25 for such beauty with a high ABV. 5.0

S – Hoppy, but not the hop bomb aroma one might expect. Pine, orange blossom, sweetness, malt. Equal parts malt and hops. 4.5

T – A nice hoppy start with a sweet alcohol laced (but not solventy) finish. Balanced. Hoppiness is balanced by the sweet maltiness. 4.75

MF – Medium-heavy with a slightly sweet finish. Just a hint of syrupiness. 4.25