120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,155 | Hads: 7,599
3.81/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Given how much I love the 60 and 90, I was a little disappointed with the 120. It just doesn't quite work and I'd always choose a 90 (or several 60s in-lieu of this one)

While on a beach vacation to Dewey, Delaware I stopped in Milton at the brewery and had a 10 oz serving at the brewery, excellent!

I enjoyed it so much that I went back a few times during the vacation to have several more 10 oz serving.

Definitely recommended!

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16 ounce pour from my favorite beer store

A- Copper with a nice foam level that stays present for the whole drinking experience.

S- This is a winner in the smell category, the depth of the sweetness is epic. My sense of smell is pretty poor and I'm thrilled with what I'm getting off of this. This is caramel and sugar in a real good way.

T- Definitely in an IPA world of its own, complex sweetness and booze in a damn good way.

M- It has the sticky presence I expected for an 18.5% ABV. Certainly a full mouthfeel sipper.

O- I had begun to sleep on Dogfish Head a little bit, suffice it to say I'm awake again or at least I will be after this one wears off. This is what I look for in a beer, something that makes you take notice. Something that makes you want to sip for a good long time.

4.19/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This was aged one year and I'm thrilled with the results. When this is fresh, it's so syrupy and boozy, almost impossible to drink. A year of age makes this a nice barely wine style liqueur. Why not just buy a fresh barley wine? What barley wine features over ripe citrus and integrates 18% alcohol like this beer? Pours a beautiful bright, burnt orange with a half finger head. Aroma is caramel, orange, candied grapefruit, and booze. Tastes like a citrus liqueur. Mouth feel is medium and syrupy. It's very sweet, but the booze is well integrated. It's much brighter than most barely wines. I had 2013 Sucaba the other night I prefer this. Definitely worth picking up and celaring.

4.83/5  rDev +22%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours copper orange with one finger head.
Smells sweet and citrusy with a slight hoppiness behind it.
Taste sweet, a lot of citrus fruit. It's almost candy like. Finishes with very slight dryness. Really enjoyed it.
Thick and syrupy mouthfeel with next to no carbonation.
Great beer! Hope I get a chance to get it again.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

In review is a 2012 vintage bottle.

A - Pours a semi-hazy amber color with a frothy ring of lacing.

S - Sweet candy malt aroma, lots of booziness.

T - Booziness dominates from start to finish followed with fermented caramel sweetness, with some citrus and pine emerging at the tail end of the sip, borderline medicinal without crossing the line.

M - Pronounced alcohol warming on the way down and continues to keep the throat toasty warm. Thick, full bodied, lip smacking sticky, velvet on the tongue.

O - Everyone already knows about the reputation of this beer, definitely a sipper and will take quite awhile to work through this bottle if you're drinking alone. I'd rate higher but the alcohol really masks a lot of the beer. (Had this beer so many times in the past, why haven't I rated this one yet???!)

3.31/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Got a few bottles of this.. Couldn't wait to drink 1 and taste was strong! Strong wood taste. It's been a year and I'm gonna wait longer for next one.

4.38/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served at Union Jack's bar in Winchester VA in a goblet glass

A: Bright gold color

S: All sweet malt with slight piney hops to balance it. Some alcohol sweetness to the nose

T: Sweet caramel malt up front with some toastyness followed by alcohol sweetness and then hop and alcohol bite to make sure it isn't too cloying. This beer would have to be hopped for 120 mins or else it would be waaaay too sweet.

F: Mouthfeel is medium heavy, doesn't sit in the mouth too long but definitely had some weight to it, a little chewy in a good way.

O: Overall a balanced beer and one worth sipping for a while. If you can find this beer it is worth the experience.

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best beers i have ever had, and at 18%, one will give you a buzz in no time, haha, it ages real well and was told to wait a year to try one and see how it defers from buying it right away.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a two year old bottle that's been cellaring. Gonna keep it brief. Wood, alcohol and candied fruit on the nose. Those characteristics follow through to the taste, with any hop profile really overwhelmed by oak, vanilla and alcohol heat. Some cloying sweetness on the finish. Bourbon barrel character. Wouldn't mind trying a fresh one for comparisons sake. Truthfully, I'd take a fresh 90 minute IPA over this

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I have a few bottles of the 120 from different years.
Just opened one yesterday that was 5 years old and the taste is totally different from when it was purchased.
It's a much smoother beer and not at boozy.

2.86/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

A sweet boozy mess. No hop flavor or aroma at all. Not sure why this called an ipa and not a barleywine or strooooong ale. Glad that I tried it but definitely would not seek this out ever again

4.87/5  rDev +23%

Dated 1/14/15 ( if I recall correctly) Thoughly enjoyed this, huge flavor, boozy and memorable, nice finish that goes on and on. Great treat , still thinking about it long after it was gone....

3.87/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Drinking this is like getting into a fight with a drunk person. Alcohol all over the place, but it's not a real nasty challenge. Plus you can kind of really enjoy the workout!

4.45/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

dark fruit wonderful! I dunno why its 120 IBUs.....thats not cuz of the hops! maybe cuz of the alcohol!! Its not super hoppy at all.....but has a lot of dark fruit like a quad belgian.syrupy kind of thick.... Still a super good sippy beer.

3.96/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not sold on this one, but still an interesting beer. World Wide Stout was much better from their extreme beer series. This was super rich, sweet, fruity, oily, complex, and slightly boozy. Some people speak of hops but mine is over a year old so most have faded. More of a brandy than an IPA. Overall it was worth it to try a beer of this caliber, but I don't think I will try this one soon. I have about 2 more so I will experiment with more age.

4.19/5  rDev +5.8%

Bought it from a local wine store bottled.....there's no lying on the amount of consistent hoppy taste on a single 12oz bottle. Overall, quite pleasant

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I'm a budding hop-head, and when I had the chance to try the famous 120-minute at dinner, I jumped at it. From the drinking experience, I hesitate to call it an IPA (I know it is, it just doesn't taste like it). It's almost more like a barleywine to me.

Look: Gorgeous deep amber color with a little bit of head
Smell: Delicious. Best part of the beer was just enjoying its aroma. Sweet, a little fruity
Taste: Like I said, it's almost a barleywine kind of taste to me. It's sweet, there's no real taste of "hoppiness," it's strong but not alcohol-y.
Feel: Medium-bodied.

Overall, this is a great beer, nothing like what I expected. Kicked my butt, too... I went from a tasting flight at Night Shift to this, and my wife had to drive us home.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to BoldRulerVT for bringing over a 4-year old bottle of DFH 120 last night. This was surprisingly good beer and not at all what I expected. Poured into tulips and enjoyed at dusk out on the deck.

It's a hazy washed-out apricot color with a thin white head that sticks around for a while and leaves a bit of lace.

The aroma is strong with an assortment of dried fruit - apricot, prune, raisin, lots of sweetness here with absolutely no hop aroma.

Taste is nicely balanced between the sweet dried fruit and enough soft bitterness to support it. No trace of the high ABV.

Mouth is medium bodied, which is surprising given the high ABV. I really expected a fuller mouth, but was really pleased that it wasn't.

Overall, this is an unusual beer that ages wonderfully and is surprisingly tasty. I have a year-old bottle stashed and I think I'll give it a few more years, as this four-year old seemed just right.

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a snifter.
Pours a medium orange/amber with minimal head.
Aromas are very big, lots of malt, lots of sweetness, plum/raisin.
Taste is in line with aromas, not much alcohol burn considering the ridiculous ABV here. Very tasty, but very little hop presence.
Mouthfeel is really nice, lots to chew on.
Overall, a tasty and interesting beer. Hard to consider it an IPA as I barely pick up hops, but still very good and enjoyable.

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Malty front, slight hop aroma, sweet but clean finish. Doesn't taste like 18%, which is a complement. Overall an enjoyable beer, but I could only have one.

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

To be fair, I tasted this one after it had been aged for years, and can't say what it's like fresh. But this one, while awesome and powerful, may be too powerful for any one man to handle, like a genie, or a nuke. Tons of flavor, but perhaps too rich. I forget the abv of that particular one, but it was probably up to at least 20% by the time I had it. So heavy, it almost clogs your throat. The hops are choked, suffocated, and smothered with a pillow by the malts who seem to have grown in power of the years. I love this beer the way I love those ridiculous Fast and Furious movies - I feel like a testosterone junkie just being in the same room with it. I'd have it again when I feel like doing some serious damage to my body - yes, this is about as masochistic a beer as I can remember having.

4.04/5  rDev +2%

May 30, 2015

12 oz bottle, IPA glass

2013 Vintage

A – Medium amber, orangeish-red. Mostly clear. A half inch of off-white yellowish bubbly foam with moderate-low retention.

S – Very malt-forward, with bread crust, graham cracker, and a touch of caramel. Tropical fruit, mango and guava, with some rich resiny hop aromas as well. Some alcohol esters, mostly warm and boozy.

T – Very sweet, a lot of honey, maple syrup, and brown sugar notes. Hops are tropical, guava and mango, with some papaya in the mix as well. A bit of resin, along with some rosy alcohol notes.

M – Thick, kind of syrupy, very malty. A lot of residual sweetness. Carbonation is fairly low. Bitterness is not very high, even though it’s very noticeable as it tries to balance out the sugars. Boozy warmth throughout.

O – A very different experience after two years of aging. The alcohol as mellowed to just a warm boozy sensation, and the edge is off the hops, leaving mostly sweetness and hop aroma. A very unique entry.

3.16/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Hazy gold-orange, yellow-white head fades but leaves rings of lace.

S: Floral but verging on abrasive chemical. Soil and citrus, but those are quickly smothered by the rest of it.

T: Woody, floral. Pine shows mid-late palate. Chemical like nail polisher still coming through (mega yuck.- what is this??) Cinnamon and baking spices on the finish (I swear), plus more alcohol warmth.

M: It's got some bite! Sky high IBU and sky high alcohol, as it turns out, is intense. Abrasive, but not astringent.

O: Barely fun even as a novelty. It seems like they got a little lazy, trying to make it as extreme as possible and any positive characteristic was a lucky side effect. Insane bitterness and ridiculous hop character is intriguing, but not when the smell and flavor make me worry if I'm going to go blind. I'm glad I didn't, and glad I got to try it, but now our relationship is over. Sorry 120, it's you.

2.56/5  rDev -35.4%

let down by the lack of balance as I really enjoy the 90. heavy, sticky malt sweetness with very little hop presence. extremely boozy which overpowers any flavors in its path. It tasted like a malt with a shot of grain alcohol added.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery