Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,120 | Hads: 7,413
3.16/5  rDev -19.6%

Bottle: Poured a light hazy amber color ale with a huge bubbly head with better then average retention and better then expected considering the high level content of alcohol. Aroma is well obviously very hoppy with some sweetness. Taste is way sweeter then expected with some bitterness but not as much as expected. The sweetness is a bit too much for me and even a 341 ml bottle of this stuff seems too much for my liking. Not bad just not a good everyday beer and there is a few strong extreme beers I would drink before this one. (532 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Burnt orange with extreme hop haze. The head never really reaches more than a ring, but this stuff IS 18% ABV, so it's not entirely unexpected.

Smell: Plenty of noticeable alcohol from the start along with sharp resiny pine. Notes of ripe fruit are lingering underneath, bringing to mind oranges and apricots.

Taste: Caramel and overripe fruit. This stuff is intensely sweet. Undertones of Mandarin orange, apricot and mango. The hops don't stand a chance against the malt; pine and lemon rind-like bitterness are present but never quite break to the forefront. The alcohol is surprisingly hidden in the taste, though the slight burn in the finish makes it known that this is strong stuff.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy, more comparable to a liqueur in texture than a beer. Carbonation is slight but enough to keep things lively.

Notes: Very interesting stuff, and pretty enjoyable. Not something I'd drink often, but I'd definitely try it again. (960 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +1%

Ok, it's Repeal Day Observed, in our southern neighbours, and my Yankee ancestry is encouraging me to try something special from south of the 49th. Tonight that can only mean one thing - a slightly chilled bottle of this sweet elixir to share with my own sweetie. I procured it on a recent trip to impressively beer-rich Austin, Texas. I actually got to try this a few months ago, in the BeerBistro bar in downtown Toronto. A special order from the LCBO, I got past the $30/bottle cost (hey it was dinner, thank you Accounts Payable), and proceeded to kick off that Saturday night in amenable style.

Now, this 'beer' pours a dense cloudy apricot-brown, and looks like fresh-squeezed fruit juice. There is no appreciable head, just a minor reminder of effervescence, and no lacing to speak of. The smell is very strong, crisp, and hot, like fermenting grape must - it actually twinges my nose - and evokes raisins and molasses, and pine hops. The malt only seems omnipotent at first - there is an underlying citrus hoppiness that seems to struggle to make itself known. The flavour starts with grapefruit hops becoming more prevalent, holding the huge raisin malt body at bay only for a bit, until, buoyed by the alcohol, it washes over and envelops your palate. A number of warming spices also appear, difficult to discern amongst it all. The mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, and a tiny carbonated finish delivers a warming to my system that I had previously associated with port or sherry. Accordingly so, this is a slow sipper, lovely for a quaff with the pine scent of the newly-erected Christmas tree nearby.

My hat is off to those sensible folks 75 years ago who reinstated the law and the mindset that paved the way for a brewery like Dogfish Head to create such a sexy beast as this offering. (1,799 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled: October 2007. Bronze-like orange peel with blazing bonfire borders when backlit with sunshine. I'm amazed to see such a great looking head. The upper half of my crystal snifter is filled with a beauteous dollop of light brown sugar colored cream that is leaving plenty of glass coverage. So much for the theory that alcohol is a lid and lace killer.

Despite the EXTREME nature of the beer, the aroma is no different than the aromas of many lower-ABV DIPAs. Sure, there's a bit more alcohol, but at least it doesn't smell like solvent. I'm not disappointed that it isn't over-the-top hoppy because I knew it wouldn't be. Let's go with grapefruit and orange rind macerated in white rum.

One thing is obvious right off the bat: 120 Minute IPA is unique beer (a Dogfish Head specialty). It's also good beer if one has the right attitude going in. Using a snifter, drinking it barely cool and taking small, whiskey-sized sips is the way to go.

One of my initial impressions is how well-hidden the alcohol is. There is plenty of 10.0% beer that's boozier and hotter than this. Kudos to Sam for having the chops to pull it off in such remarkable fashion. Of course, it helps immensely if you're used to drinking 100-proof bourbon neat.

I decided to review this relatively fresh bottle and let my 2005 bottle age a little bit longer because I wanted to get the maximum impact out of the hops. Now that I've tasted it, I'll definitely be on the lookout for a superfresh bottle. Despite the absolutely insane amount of hopping, the beer is sweeter than it is bitter. Thankfully, the hops provide much more flavor than the pale malt. Think Cointreau mixed with 90 Minute IPA. Orange is clearly the dominant fruit on the taste buds.

The mouthfeel is superb as well. It's full, no question about it, but I've had barleywines that were more thick, sappy and gooey. The secret to keeping things from bogging down must be a perfect amount of carbonation. All things considered, the mouthfeel is brewing craftsmanship par excellence.

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA is anything but a typical DIPA. In truth, I didn't expect to like it as much as I do. This is one of those cases in which extreme beer is also incredibly good beer. Even though I won't be drinking it often, I'm now a huge fan and will spring for a bottle or two on those rare occasions when I run across them. The bottom line is that this is delicious and surprisingly drinkable hop liqueur. (2,451 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Poured out an orange/bronze color with a small, light, fluffy, white head. Some residue-like lacing.

S - It smelled of sweet maltiness - very strong. Also, a nice grassy, hoppy aroma.

T - This had a very hot alcohol taste/feel (almost like menthol). It was very, very malty with a very bitter hop kick.

M - It was soft and smooth with a very hot alcohol presence. It was medium to heavy-bodied.

D - This is an amazing beer. With its high ABV it was actually quite drinkable with great malt and hop flavors. (514 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to jaxon53 for getting this to me!

Pured a deep orange, cloudy with lots of visible carbonation. Thick lace with lots of swirls rounding about in the top, looks alive. Very nice hue and presentation.

Smell will knock you on you ass1 Deep pine resin, nothing I have ever smelled before, and lots of alchol. It actually started to burn my noce it was so strong. As it warms, citrus starts to flow, grapefruit, pineapple, but the pine nugget explosion is definatly intense,

The flavor is rediculous. It tore up my mouth, almost undrinkably bitter, but that just spurred me on. A whole new level of hops, and of beer for that matter. Warming is not the word, this keep my whole house warm last night.As it warmed alot of complex and sweet flavors came to the front, but the most again was a sort of pine sap flavor. The finish was a huge deep dry finish. This is an amazing beer, just huge hops, alcohol is obviously a factor, but if you limit yourself to one, I don't see it affecting the drinkability. I actually re loved this, and would love to try it again. Nothing but really positives on this one. (1,115 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%

My first crack at this bad boy its been a long time comin,pours a clear golden with some deep orange tint with a thin white head.Citrus infused vodka is the aroma I get mainly with this puppy with a light nuttiness barely peeking thru but this beer shows its alcohol and hops in the nose for sure.This bottle was was bottled this year so its relatively young and very powerful,pretty syrupy tongue-coating mouthfeel.Very interesting complexities going on pretty darn sweet for an IPA very alcoholic the hops are asexpected intense but everything about this ale is intense.now at $8.95 for a 12 ounce thats pretty high but this is quite the experience,one other thing I notice as this warms a little not only does the alcohol show thru more but a tropical fruit flavor lingers as well pineapple mainly man this complex. (818 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.1%

A: A hazy golden/straw color with a pretty solid white head.

S: Citrus, especially orange and grapefruit, lots of caramel and sugar.

T: Incredibly malty and sweet, too much sugar in your tea sweet. Tons of booze. Some orange flavor and seemed like some banana also. Not really any hop bitterness to this, which is unfortunate, because I feel it would really help this beer out in terms of balance.

M: Obviously this thing has enormous body, but their was almost a grainy feel to it, probably because of how sweet it was.

D: As much as I'd like to be a tough guy on the subject, this beer is not very drinkable. I'm glad to say that I've tried it, but I don't think I will have it again any time soon. (704 characters)

3.93/5  rDev 0%

2007 Vintage.

Appearance: Pours a clear, amber body with a tight inch of off-white foam. Impressive that it can even form and sustain a head with all that booze in there.

Smell: Whoo! Even upon opening you get a whiff of alcohol-soaked hops. Very apricoty, maybe a few golden raisins. Leafy and tremendously resiny hop character and, of course, an excessive, though exciting amount of fusel alcohol.

Taste: Whoo-boy!! Ultra sweet, incredibly juicy apricot taste. Searing alchol presence upon that first sip, but give it some time, friends, that'll pass. Sharp flavors of ruby red grapefruit citrus oils and pine resin. Still, though, I get alot of apricot. All of the high levels of malt, hops, and alcohol push and shove each other around without letting one quality sit on the tongue for too long. The grapefruit and apricot come together, become morphed, and start tasting of mango and passion fruit.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-low carbonation. Sticky yet also pretty warming.

Drinkability: A sipper, for sure, but a good one. Really holds itself together fairly well for being packed to the gills with malt, hops, and booze. Like it or not, it's hard not to be having a good time when you finish the bottle. (1,222 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Deep ruby red with a huge off white head that sticks around remarkably for such a strong beer.

S - Spicy, peppery hop aroma. A lot of corriander, pepper, chili, and smokey herbal notes. This kind of smells like an indian grocery store (I mean that in a good way).

T - Odd sharp bitterness is very powerfull. Sweet, malty, and a bit sour. It has distinct alcoholic warmth in the finish.

M - Thick and syrupy with moderate carbonation. I little bit of astringency in the back of the mouth.

D - It is always hard to give a drinkability rateing to a beer this unreasonably strong, but overall this is a solid beer. Many "extreme" beers are almost undrinkable in my opinion but this goes down relatively easy, the only fault is the mouthfeel which is syrupy and a bit unpleasant. The high alcohol is kept in check by other flavors and the smell is quite extraordinary. I have to say this is one of the best truely extreme beers that I have had, from Dogfish Head or anyone else. (989 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -17.3%

Served in a flared pokal at Bliss.

The first of a couple surprise bottles cracked at the latest Bliss tasting. It pours a slightly murky orange-straw-amber topped by a finger of bright cream foam. The nose comprises heavy pine resin, mentholated honeydew, rich caramel, and a hardy backbone of alcohol. The taste brings in much of the same, with everything taken to the nth degree. Honestly, it's all a bit much when put together like this. The body is a heavy-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a nearly chewy, syrupy feel. Overall, what could have been a decent DIPA is hindered by what I can only call too much girth and presence. There's just too much of everything here for anything good to come of it. (727 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +1%

I had this on-tap at Max's. Poured into a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with a layer of off white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Very sweet, but there is some hop presence too. The hop bitterness is somewhat herbal.

Taste: This is less cloying than the aged versions that I've tried. The herbal hops balanced things out well considering what they had to work with. Sweet and boozy in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy with smooth and fluffy carbonation and a finish that is a bit dry.

Overall: This was better fresh than it is ages. The balance is pretty good all things considered. Don't know that I need more, but perhaps. (673 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a flute glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color, with a short foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is strong with wheat alcohol, hops, honey & caramelized malt. I was expecting a bit more hops in it though.

T: The flavor is boozy, but with a 21.00% ABV, it was what I anticipated on that front. What I hadn’t anticipated was the intense syrupy, honey & brown sugar sweetness that accompanied the sting of the alcohol. There’s a little bit of hops there, but it’s simply over-powered. Knowing what the 60 & 90 Minute IPA’s are like, I definitely thought that there would be a heck of a lot more hop character in this one. The only real hops significance comes out a little bit in the after-taste as the beer warmed some.

M: Smooth for something so powerful, medium body, medium carbonation, oily & sticky finish.

O: Even though this beer isn’t filling and is very flavorful, I can’t see how this beer can’t see how it can be anything else but a sipper with such a huge ABV. However, I probably drank it a little quicker than I should have. Luckily I was plowing pretzels along with it to help with alcohol absorption. (1,223 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Package store got a batch of these in for $6.99 a 12 oz bottle so I had to try it...

Pours a cloudy orange with a thin head, smell is very citrusy and hop filled. First taste I was not prepared for.. felt like a full on shot of booze.. didn't sit well with me. The next sip, and following sips for that matter, went down much smoother. Maybe I had to warm up to it? Either way, it was enjoyable after the initial sip of it. Was it simply amazing? I wouldn't say that.. but it was cool to have a beer that is 21% ABV and I would have it again in a heartbeat. (558 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%

Got this in trade from DDarden, cheers! Bottled on12/16/06

Pours caramel/apricot with 2+fingers of sand colored head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Big-time breadyness & piney hops.

T: Cakey, with honey, dates & in your face piney hops, plus some booze burn up front. Middle has pralines, caramel, baker's chocolate & more booze. Finishes dry, boozey with port notes, apricots & apple skins (fruitty)

MF: Chewy, slick, but a touch of carbonation, skews a bit malty to say the least

Drinks good for the abv, but I prefer a more restrained DIPA, at say 1/2 to 1/3rd the ABV. I would say based on my 2 tastings to age at least 3 years (649 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

First had: bottle from Eulogy (secret stash), Philly, PA

I've now had the '08 vintage bottle (April '11), the '11 batch on tap, and a sample from an '03 bottle (Oct. '11). Thanks to Brewerdan for the latter.

*The following review applies to the '03 bottle. The on tap batch, and the '08 were similar to each other and I wrote a separate review for them. The '03 was almost like a different beer altogether.

This was an entirely different monster than I expected, after having the '11 batch, and recollecting the '08 from a few months ago. I don't know if the beer was tamer back then, or if it just mellowed out a lot over the past 8 years. Poured a slightly hazed orange-amber, noticeably lighter than the Raison D'Extra sitting next to it. Slight patchy layer of white head. Aroma of oak, leafy hops, and sugar. I prepared myself for the strong-tasting quaff I've experienced before, but my eyes lit up when I took my first sip of the '03 vintage. Very mellow and flavorful. Instead of being right in your face like newer batches, the alcohol punch took a back seat to a creamy lemony hoppiness overlaid on sweet caramel malts. Notes of pine and butterscotch too. Wow...I liked the other batches, but this was...drinkable! Smooth mouthfeel, a little heavier than medium-bodied.

If this batch has been brewed consistently the same with no change to the recipe, then I can safely say: it take 8 years [minimum] for this beer to evolve to its perfect state. (1,461 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at Lukas Liquor in Colorado and served into a nonical generic pint glass in me gaff in Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the hype, though I usually find Dogfish Head's beers are overrated.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger head of great cream, good thickness, and excellent retention considering the high ABV - it retains at least five minutes. Very impressive indeed. Bravo. Colour is a murky semitransparent copper-gold. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Hoppy, but not as much as expected. Floral character is dominant, with some malty sweetness. The bitterness is buried in there somewhere. No alcohol or yeast comes through. Fairly simple. A mild but fairly subtle strength aroma.

T: Extremely hoppy, bringing out the bitterness towards the climax. Structurally quite brief - the flavours are there for a moment but then they vanish. Malty sweetness helps hide the hop content and surprisingly little alcohol comes through. No yeast here. Clean malts form the backbone. Raw malts and sugars bleed into the finish, a poor effect here. It's very full-bodied - actually a bit overbearing, which is surprisingly for how consolidated the flavour is. No real pine or citrus comes through, just floral quality. It's shockingly simple for how monstrously hoppy they'd have us believe it is. Very little subtlety or complexity at all. I like it for what it is, but aside from how hidden the ABV is, there's little of note. Strangely balanced.

Mf: Quite oily, especially towards the back end. Smooth and wet, with some needed coarseness up front. Too slick towards the back end, allowing the flavours to escape all too easily. It gives you little time to enjoy what's there. Too heavy and overbearing on the palate. Makes my stomach feel a bit bloated. Slightly overcarbonated. Too thick.

Dr: Nowhere near as overtly hoppy as they'd have us believe - which is probably a good thing. It feels more like a sugar bomb than it does a hop bomb. It's alright, but it's not at all worth the hefty price tag. This is Dogfish Head's best beer? I'm really disappointed, though I'm getting used to that feeling with this brewery. I will say that it's shockingly drinkable for its well-hidden high ABV. It tastes like it's about 7.5-8.0%. It doesn't live up to its hype, but it remains a decent IPA. I wouldn't buy this again.

B-

An okay candidate for aging, as far as IPAs go.

Drank fine out of a nonical pint glass. I don't think there's any glass that'll do much better.

Best paired with food. Perhaps an acidic salad. Fresh apples. (2,803 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +17%

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery all hail to this amazingly revolutionary brewery that push the envelope and shake the industry up to keep things exciting. Here is one of the finest Imperial IPAs I have come into contact with 120 minutes of continously hopped amber goodness with an off white cream toned short lived head, but at 20% abv it's all good. Aroma contains a plethora off hop tones including those of the floral, pine cone, and citrus (grapefruit) varieties along with one very distinct alcohol nose butterscotch. The taste is strikingly sweet with overly ripened fruit tones apricot and plum notes very nice very hoppy, but amazingly balanced with one hell of a warming effect. Mouthfeel is syrupy and full carrying all of these flavors very nicely. The drinkability at 20% is straight rediculous and at 25.6 oz. beware don't crack a bottle of this by yourself because you might be tempted to finish it. (909 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -14.2%

It pours a cloudy orange amber. Not much of a head, but there is some lace left behind.

Very strong pinecone-like hop smell--very fresh. This is too strong to detect much malt or alcohol.

This has the sweetness of fruit punch with a slight hop counter point. This is, for me, too much of a good thing. Strong alcohol warmth in the aftertaste along with the pine hop. Still, the sweetness prevails. Almost oily in the body with low carbonation.

This is an interesting beer, with extreme flavors all around. It is difficult to finish because of it overbearingness. I would say it is worthy of a one time try. (609 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +22.1%

Gorgeous bright ruby red color, very sizable, bubblingly creamy head...
Aroma...massive, intense, huge, towering, flowering, flowing over in the air, in the senses, in the soul, ...big, fat fruit, grapefruit, peach, apricot, mango, more...and not too bitter, surprisingly pleasant...
...and, to taste...Oh, my goo'niss! Ah, ah, ah!!!
INCREDIBLE occurence on the palate, prodigious, amazing, and highly flavorful...floods and gushes, uplifts, elevates, urges pleasure at the very instance lip meets cup and ale enters body...full-bodied to say the least, with a long, tantalizing finish, and additional candyish notes that linger on and on...
An IPA that lays me low, knocks me down a notch, and leaves me no recourse but to bow down and let it wash over...every subsequent taste provides further onslaughts of flavor...oh, yum, yummy, McYum-Yums...
During consumption of this ale, I had no idea of the ABV, for it's been carelessly omitted from the label...20%!?!?! ...hot damn!
Sticky, fruity, gummy, sweet, this surely transcends the boundaries of the India Pale Ale, and feels closer to a barleywine, or even a mead or brackett...but whatever the Hell it is, I love it!

Everlasting thanks to DrewS. for this bottle! (1,228 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -7.1%

From 08/03/11 notes. Had on tap at Rustico in Ballston in Arlington, VA. Pretty excited to have a full glass of this as I tried 2 oz.'s of it up at NOTB/EBF back in March and enjoyed it quite a bit. 10 oz. pour into a stange.

a - Pour a reddish orange amber color with two fingers of light white head and moderate carbonation evident. Two minutes of retention and lots of fluffy lacing. Looks pretty good.

s - Smells of fruity malts, citrus hops, alcohol, sugar, tropical fruits. Overall very citrusy and sweet, but pretty nice. Not overly hoppy.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, cloyingly sweet, alcohol, candy, and sugar. VERY sweet; a little too much for me. Alcohol is definitely evident as well.

m - Medium to full body and moderate carbonation. Body is thick and almost syrupy, and the alcohol is definitely evident when drinking this one.

o - Overall a pretty good beer, but I was a bit disappointed. It is very strong and very very sweet, and does not have a ton of fresh hops going on with it, more fruity malts. While I enjoyed it, a 10 oz. pour was way too much. They offered 4 oz. samples of the beer which sounds about perfect to me; halfway through the glass it got kind of rough. I'd have it again, but would want to keep it to the 2 or 4 oz. pours. Pretty good, just not what I look for in a DIPA. (1,313 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

12 ounce bottle into snifter, 2012 D bottling(pretty fresh as my store got it in this week). Pours hazy golden orange color with a dense 1 finger off white head with very good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers, Pretty good lacing sticking to the glass, with plenty of alcohol legs as expected. Aromas of big pine, citrus rind, grass, lemon zest, grapefruit, honey, herbal, floral, earth, caramel, and a a bit of alcohol. Pretty nice aromas with some good balance and complexity. A lot less booze in the aromas than I expected; booziness seems to drop off a bit more as it reaches room temps. Taste of big citrus rind, lemon zest, pine, grapefruit, herbal, floral, honey, caramel, earth, and light herbal spiciness. Light amount of pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus rind, grapefruit, pine, floral, caramel, honey, and light herbal spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Very nice hop flavor balance and complexity; with zero booze in the taste. Medium carbonation and very full bodied; with a very creamy, oily, and slightly sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Approaching syrup viscosity but it’s not a bad thing here; as the carbonation balances things out. Alcohol is extremely well hidden with only a warming noticed after the finish. Goes down impressively smoothly. Overall this is a damn nice DIPA given what this actually is in terms of the style. I was quite impressed how smooth this was; with a nice hop flavor balance and absolutely no cloying sweetness at all. I am beginning to wonder why everyone cries that this one is horrible fresh. This is very well done considering all of the insanely over the top brewing and dry hopping it takes to create this one. Really enjoyable. (1,731 characters)

Thanks to whoever brought this one to our IPA day celebration. An original 2003 big bottle, which I believe is the very first batch.

A - Pours murky yellow, with quite a bit of sediment floating in it, with a small half finger tall white head leaving no lace down the glass.

S - Smells of huge amounts of candied sugar, caramel malt, booze, light tropical fruits, and just the faintest hint of citric hops. It has held up ok but the sweetness has only gotten stronger.

T - Starts off with a HUGE dose of candied sugar sweetness slowly giving way to a mix of caramel malt, dulled tropical fruits, tiny bit of citric hop bitterness, and lots of warming booze. While this one is eight years old it still has plenty of sweet booze to go around. The finish is very sweet, lingering for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Sweet, syrup like, feel with plenty of sweetness lingering through the finish.

O - I have had this stuff fresh, aged for a few years, and now aged for the maximum amount of time, and every time I leave it feeling let down. If you like over the top sweetness, this is your beer. If you like balance of flavors, avoid it at all costs. (1,183 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Slightly hazy orangish amber with a thin head that lasts as a thin cover. Not bad head retention for abv.

The smell is of strong citrus, some pine, some peppery alcohol.

The taste is of thick, chewy hops - citrus and pine especially. Nice hop profile. Raw alcohol mixes in with hops, leaving some peppery heat in the mouth. Although not quite as much as a 21%er might. A bready malt background give it a thicker body and some balance.

The feel is thick and full-bodied. Syrupy with a rawness to it. A bit heavy on the tongue.

Well, this is well-hopped and alcoholic. It's nice, but alcohol does disturb drinkability, and even enjoyment to a degree because it kills quite a bit of the aftertaste. A nice DIPA, but I can't say I liked it more than the 90 minute. It states on label "ages well". I do suggest cellaring it a few years to see if it mellows some, as it does have good potential. (901 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. Not sure what year this is but I'll assume its a 2009 vintage. Beer is orange / brown, high haze, thin white head, tiny to medium bubbles, carbonation mild. The beer clarifies as it warm, it becomes almost completely clear, this is chill haze. They should just add "chill haze" to the style description of DIPA since I have yet to have one that does not have this characteristic, and I penalize all of them for it.

Aroma is strong, full of hops and alcohol, malt sweetness, it is a lot to take in. Smells more solventy than I expect, slight deduction.

Beer is very sweet and has a lot of bitterness at the back end. The sweetness is a mixture of alcohol / solvency and malt character. It is very interesting and the hop bitterness is well balanced. This is NOTHING like the 90 minute IPA. Let us be clear, they are different beasts. It is not as thin as I thought it would be and the mouthfeel is really great. This beer is surprisingly (dangerously) easy to drink. Drinkability very high. A well crafted fine DIPA, more like a QIPA. Overall a good drink, this is probably the third or forth time I've had it, still a good drink. (1,181 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery