120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

ABV varies from 15-20%.

(Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
mzeld

09-03-2012 04:21:17 | More by mzeld
VaporDome

03-22-2013 21:29:02 | More by VaporDome
EPseja

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

Been sitting on this 12oz., vintage 2004 bottle for over a year now. Could have let it sit longer, but... what the hey!

Served in a snifter at cellar temperature.

A - Pours a slightly hazed bright orange-caramel color. An off-white head rises to about 1/2 inch at best (with a vigorous pour) and quickly dissapates as expected. Remaining bubbles are soapy and big, sticking together in a big clump. Lacing is sporadic, but noticeable.

S - Juicy sweet, nectar dripping fruitiness. Pineapples, peaches, apricots and pears. Kiwi fruits even. In lesser amounts, there is also a tinge of pine. Orange blossom honey.

T - Big big sweetness up front, but ambiguously sugary and without much discernible malt presence. In the middle, the alcohol makes a big isopropyl-style entrance. At the back of the throat, the fragrant west-coast hops become very prevalent, although not as punchy as the smell would have you believe it should be. As you swallow, you notice that your mouth becomes sucked dry of any lingering moisture and the alcohol leaves a slight burning in the back of the throat. Big, warm afterglow.

M - Very thick and syrupy with a hint of carbonation. The swallow is slick, but the alcohol keeps it from being smooth.

D - The main thing I kept thinking as I was writing this review is that the alcohol is unnecessarily strong. I feel that it knocks everything else out of balance. Good thing I was sharing the bottle with my sister, because I would not have been able to finish the bottle myself.

03-22-2006 02:21:28 | More by EPseja

07-01-2014 21:00:17 | More by Brewski
TheSleepyMonkey

Tennessee

4.78/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On tap poured into snifter at DFH release party in Memphis.

Beautiful, caramel colored brew. Shades of dark orange and light ruby. 1 finger of sticky head, laces nicely.

Smells great, though not overwhelmingly hoppy. Smells of floral notes, peaches, alcohol, and biscuits. Lots in there

Not a hop bomb to me. You definitely taste the hops, but it's very well balanced, almost sweet. Tastes like an aged barleywine. Boozy but not as hot as you would think at 18%. Really surprising tastes here, fig, bread, citrus, floral finish.

Mouthfeel is right on for a barleywine, though not as crisp as a DIPA. Malty thicker backbone.

Pleasantly surprised here. Not exactly what expected, actually better! Absolute must try. Cheers!

04-23-2014 01:45:04 | More by TheSleepyMonkey
lstokes

4.18/5  rDev +2.5%

Not something I would want to drink everyday, but an exceptional once-in-a-while special-occasion kind of beer.

It smells amazing--a sharp alcohol bite (it's a 21 ABV, for crying out loud) but surrounded with sweet citrus and pine and caramel and hops. I smelled it for five minutes before I got down to drinking. Best-smelling 21 ABV I can imagine, in short.

So many hops. A solid mouthfeel, maybe a bit too syrupy. Somebody lower down said a "hoppy barleywine" and I think that's just right, since it was much sweeter than I expected, and I had to sip it more than I'd ever have to sip an IPA.

There is an alcohol burn at the end, but I've never liked an alcohol burn so much before... I just wanted to keep sipping.

An entirely different beast from the 60 and 90 minute IPAs.

04-13-2009 15:02:03 | More by lstokes
bunnyhustle

3.38/5  rDev -17.2%

This is hands down the most intense beer I have ever experienced in my life. Wow!

Poured into snifter, a deep amber color, clear, with thick light tan head. Great retention and lacing. A very good looking beer. Smell is intense of piney hops, citrus, sweetness, and alcohol. It almost smells like some sort of sweet, hard candy. Taste is similar. Strong, sweet, intense malt. Some caramel, candi sugar, and just general sweetness. A little bit of pineapple and/or general citric hops as it hits the back of the palate. Alcohol and a very warming/burning sensation as it goes down. Thick and creamy mouthfeel that I really enjoyed, somewhat velvety. Overall a drinkable beer in the sense that it is possible to drink this and enjoy it. Not drinkable in the sense of, "lets get a 6'er and slam it." This beer is intense and I think if you can drink this in less than 2 hours then you need to drink less.

06-24-2009 03:02:28 | More by bunnyhustle

yuenglingade

03-30-2014 01:47:45 | More by yuenglingade
andrewjraab

3.55/5  rDev -13%

A fellow beer enthusiast bought me this beer about 4 months ago and it has been staring me down in my fridge ever since. I've been intimidated to even try it. Well, we just closed on the sale of our house yesterday so I felt I finally had a reason to take this down.

A - Lovely golden amber/ orange color. ZERO head to speak of. Zero lacing.

S - BIG hop aroma, piney, citrus, floral, fruity.

T - This beer smacked me in the face with huge hoppy flavor that overshadowed in the finish with a hot alcohol aftertaste. Almost tastes more like a barleywine than a DIPA.

M - A bit syrupy.

O - I'm glad a tried this, but it will only be once. I much prefer the 60 and 90 minute IPA from DFH. This is definitely worth a try, but is more of a novelty then anything else.

07-15-2012 01:41:43 | More by andrewjraab
dlello2

4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

**Note: Ha, ok this was my first taste of 120. It was the last drink of the night. My notes are a bit rambling so I'll be trying this one again and editing soon.

A - Lighter than I'd have though. Thick but inviting. nice head. Little carbonation. Alcohol lacing grips the glass forever.

S - Citrus and hops. Lemon + malts. Nice, not crazy.

T - Very complex. A lot going on here. Syrupy and hops and wood, malts all mask the ridiculous amount of alcohol. Yum. Makes me want to keep drinking (sipping) it. Wow is really well balanced and super warming. Really nice mouthfeel. Makes you smile and nod with each sip. Thick thick, tongue coating, and sticky.

O - Hmm. This is like drinking whiskey/bourbon in complexity: Take it slow and savor ever sip.

11-27-2011 17:58:19 | More by dlello2
wertschy

12-21-2012 02:43:28 | More by wertschy
Steve_Oldrati

05-29-2013 15:55:13 | More by Steve_Oldrati
cichief

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Had on draft at Frisco's Grille, Columbia, MD.

A- Poured a deep orange-amber with a white head.

S- Smelled very complex, a lot of spice and scents here. I got everything from ginger, vanilla, orange to pine. A very complex beer.

T- Lots of flavor here, also very sweet! Some spicy cinnamon, vanilla, and nutmeg, with a decent ginger finish.

M- Very smooth, little carbonation, medium body.

D- Too much alcohol for a session, but a decent dessert beer.

12-28-2007 03:46:40 | More by cichief
shroompod

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Vintage 2006

Pours a cloudy orange , small head.

I actually smell this beer about 2 feet away when opening. Very citrusy and piney , a small amount of orange juice sweetness is present.

Hops and more hops on the palette. Bitter grapefruit comes to mind. Alcohol is well hidden, considering the ABV.

Mouthfeel is medium, cut down by high ABV and bitterness.

A very nice extreme beer, I may be afraid to try fresh.

04-30-2008 02:37:48 | More by shroompod
Jules11788

3.08/5  rDev -24.5%

A: Pours a cloudy light golden color; small head, very little lacing

S: Sweet malts with some slight floral hops

T: Very very sweet malts dominate the flavor with a little bit of hop bitterness and boozy sharpness at the end.

M: Medium thickness, a little bit sharp on the tongue

O: This is the second time I've tried this beer, and both times (2 year old batch and 6 month old batch) have had almost no hop presence whatsoever. If this is what they consider their holy grail for hopheads, then they have seriously failed. It says it ages well, but I wouldn't recommend drinking one past 4 months old unless you wanna drink straight malt syrup, which is what it tasted like to me both times. Very disappointing, as I was expecting a ridiculously hoppy brew to satiate my hop withdrawals, but this has failed to deliver both as a fresh bottle and as an aged one.

09-23-2011 17:21:54 | More by Jules11788
roblund

11-09-2012 15:20:32 | More by roblund
ACB

07-23-2013 00:46:49 | More by ACB
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

3.3/5  rDev -19.1%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass, thanks to demcorhip for this one, I've been wanting to try it for a long time. Bottled 03/29/06.

Pours a hazey orange colour, very murky with lots of sediment. Medium carbonation from what I can tell. 1/4 inch head subsides to a lace that thinly coats the top and the glass. Nose is lovely and hoppy, citric and floral, and a funkiness I can't quite put my finger on. There's definitely a sweet toasted caramel backbone, and the Alcohol makes itself evident, but I guess it would be hard for it not to. The nose is great, but much more subtle and muted than I thought it would be.

Taste is whooo, really sweet. Wow. I was not expecting the huge sweet malt presence here, but that's what it's all about. Caramel, plum, honey, dark fruitiness, and yes, that monstrous warming alcohol all appear in great quantities. I really feel like the hops are so well balanced as to not be as detectable as in some hop monsters. Yes, there's a bitterness in the finish, and if you search really hard though all the sugariness, there's some mellow orange peel bitterness and a lovely floral character, but not nearly the bitterness I was hoping for. Mouthfeel is thick, creamy and a little syrupy, then the palate dries in the finish. Carbonation is a bit more than I'd like, but maybe it's not the carbon that's making my palate numb. Lord knows that I would not want more than one of these, and it's an all-night sipper to be sure.

Final verdict: This is an extreme beer, and as such, I can respect it for what it is. It's way to sweet for my palate, and even though I don't find the sweetness awkward or cloying, it's just too much sugar. Also, I wanted a much more brazen, out of control hop bomb, and this to me is more like a barleywine. All that said, wow, I'm buzzed, and I still have half a glass to go.

12-21-2006 03:59:07 | More by trevorwideman
JohnnyM2002

Maryland

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a snifter at around 50 degrees. Bottled March 29, 2006.

A - Pours a cloudy orange with a creamy white head...more of a red color appears as the head dissipates to a thin ring.

S - Powerful aroma of piney hops, alcohol, and a sweetness I can't quite put my finger on...

T - Caramel malt, alcohol, and dry, bitter hops are all extremely pronounced as they work very well together; needs to be sipped very slowly in order for all the flavors to come through. As every bit malty as it is hoppy...I was expecting more bitterness, but the caramel flavor comes through extra-strong as well.

M - Thick-bodied with a wonderful warming sensation as your reward.

D - Obviously with such a high ABV, it would never make for a regular selection...I'd say it fits well as a cocktail-hour beer, as a replacement for a liquor; a beer to be enjoyed over a long period of time.

01-01-2008 14:57:22 | More by JohnnyM2002