120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,122 | Hads: 7,426
3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Shared a 12 oz bottle and poured into two snifters.

A: It was a golden yellow color, cloudy not much head but good lacing on the glass.

S: I detected a hint of pine hoppiness, sweet smelling.

T: It was a sweet beer, it had a malty honey flavor, with a hoppy finish, orange peel taste present, hints of citrus with the sweetness.

M: thick due to the sweetness of the beer, as the beer warmed it reminded me of a decent port wine.

Overall: It was a sweet, big beer that took a bit of time to drink 6 oz. As the beer warmed it reminded of a port wine, complex flavors, hoppy but with a honey, malt flavor and citrus on the back end. This is a beer I could drink every so often, a couple of year would be fine for me. I'll try aging a bottle and see how the flavors mellow. (774 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -42.3%

Poured a murky dark amber with a smallish head. Aroma of hops and alcohol. Accents of booze, hops, and cough syrup. Mouthfeel likewise similar to syrup. Drank it slow and tried to think of it not as a normal beer, but this did not help. Way too sweet and viscous for my taste. A shame, as I was really looking forward to trying this beer. My dropping $12 on a 12oz is testament to that. A big disappointment all around. (419 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +16.3%

Bottled on date: 07/08/08 F
Drank on: 1/20/10

a nice looking beer, pours an brown/golden amber color, my nose was a little stuffy but i could smell the hops in it

wish i could taste a 10.0, tons of flavors, i get mainly a spicy, cinnamon taste to it, it has a little bitter/hoppy taste at the finish as well as a boozy end, the beer was thick but at just the right amount

this beer went a little too quick for me, this is definitely gonna be a tradition on 1/20 to drink this, i really need to get a case and try it on-tap (525 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +12.8%

First time ever having this beer, have had the 60 and 90 minute countless times.
Poured from the bottle to a tulip, I didn't think to use my Dogfish Head snifter, gah!

Appearance - pours a pale gold color with a one finger soapy head. While it doesn't impress it has a solid look to it.

Smell - sweet sugary hops, and some slight ethanol.

Taste - very much like smell. Sweet hop flavor right up front, a nice malty back bone, and alcohol! Reminded me a lot of Southamptons Old Herb.

Mouthfeel - I happened to be sipping this one since I split the bottle, but wouldn't necessarily say it's a sipper. It has a slightly syrupy consistency.

Overall - it was quite enjoyable, I was happy splitting the bottle with someone, it was just enough. It sort of falls under the category of a hoppy barleywine in my mind. A nice boozy, hoppy kick in the mouth. (852 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Fresh out of the case - 2011 bottling. Have had it aged before...let's just see. Poured into my scaldis goblet.

Pours a filtered, bright amber hue.

Subtle nose...frankly, hardly anything there! Cleared my throat and blew my nose...still not much! If anything, I'm getting some rock candy sweetness...but this is interesting.

First sip...good lord. How massive, how sumptuous, how utterly balanced - how does Sam do it? The hop presence coats my mouth but the massive amount of malt eases everything in so much I don't notice the absurd ABV. Wow.

Huge body - comparable to a milkshake.

Here's the kicker - the finish sits everywhere. Top to mid to back palate all at the same time...I'm so impressed. It lingers for minutes, but not astringently...just sweet, balanced pineapple and tropical fruit with a huge dose of sugar.

Age it or not, this beer is one in a million. Odd how the nose doesn't stand out...but it absolutely melts in your mouth. World class - and another pioneering brew from Sam and the good folks at DFH. (1,031 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

Best way to describe this beer is the ultimate hop syrup. The mouth feel is maple syrup. Color is brown. Smell is floral with sweet malt undertones. Not as great a smell as the 90 minute. Palate is sweet yet hoppy. For the 20%, drink it slow. For the $20, drink it sparingly. A crazy IPA meant to be drank only on occasions. (324 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a dark deep copper/orange hue. Lots of head and lots of lacing. Simply looks super thick, sticky and syrupy. Piney, grassy, and grapefruity... all the hop culprits. Slight honey sweetness with an alcohol twinge. Basically a hug hop bomb followed by a HUGE alcohol burn. My tongue is immediately covered by the citrus hops. I'd like to thin we could handicap 20% beers but this thing is a sipper if ther ever was one! it took me 2.5 hrs to finish a 12oz'r (460 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer was bottled on 10/5/09 and shared between two small vintage coca-cola glasses.
Appearance: Beer is light orange hue with a thin creamy lacing that lingers to the side of the glass.

Smell: Sweet, complex odor that I cannot describe, a hint of apricot.

Taste: Once again, sweetness and hops. Malts provide some balance; however, a slight bitterness kicks in towards the end.

Feel: The taste definitely holds on to the palate and to the back of my mouth way after my first sip.

Drink: Definitely a sipping beer and can definitely warm you up on cold days like this. High alcohol content that can kick your ass may be able to finish one but not more than that in one sitting. This beer has received a lot of hype in which I cannot completely jump on board with...not saying that I would not have another one, but I would slightly prefer the 90 min IPA. Nonetheless, a great beer to share or to hog if you want to get messed up!!! (943 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +19.1%

Had this On-Tap at O'Bannon's 11/11/11

A: Orange, with a small amount of head, hazy

S: so hoppy it almost burns, but in the most pleasant way possible.

T: sweet, hoppy, but not as bitter as you'd think. the flavor of the hops is incredible, with the booze very well masked.

M: definitely feel the booze. little syrupy, but not as bad as other 18% beers I've had (Tokyo*). Medium carbonation, but goes down smooth, then warms the stomach.

O: Loved this beer. very different from any other IIPA I've had. almost a class of its own, as the bitterness is much less, the hop flavor is much more present and not masked by bitterness, and of course that ever present sweetness. (677 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +9.2%

bottle share with friend. poured into dogfish head snifter.

A:deep orange with about 1/2 finger head.

S: sweet with heavy alcohol notes.

T: Sweet up front with slight alcohol burn in the back. Not bitter at all which surprised be for being a IPA hopped for 2 hours. Gets sticky/cloying as you keep drinking it.

Good beer, but the taste is not what I expected. (363 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -50.8%

Appearence: Looks identical to the 90minute IPA, great color as orangy vibrance, the head is a wonderful yellow-tan. bubles streamy up glass and are medium in size. If the boil is 30 minutes longer that the 90 minute, how do they keep the color the same? Wouldn't the wort caramelize a bit more and make a different colored beer, even a little?
Aroma: Smells like porkfat or bad BBQ. I couldn't really get much hop character. There should be plenty of distinct hop aroma if it is truely dry hopped every day for a month, its not there. Perhaps the big malty character overwhelms the dryhopping process, reducing its efficiency.
Taste: Holy cow this is big. Classic "imperial" sweetness. The intense maltiness is overpowering and now terrible enjoyable. tanginess presumably from the high ABV, bites at the tongue, making it difficult to taste teh complex malt body. The long hop schedule presents itself as being very sweet/flavorful, with little bitterness. As with the 90minute I expected to be blown away.
Mouthfeel: very milk like texture. Caramel candy like stickiness on the palate.

Overall: It is amazing how sweet the hop flavor is, and the bitterness from teh hopping is just not there. I don't quit understand how this beer is really an IPA without the bitterness. Maybe just a really big hop flavored Pale ale. This is unique and novel, but its not good to drink. I am impressed by the technique and the truly unique character to this beer, it iw well done in the strangeness catagory.
However, just because its unique doesn't make it good or anymore drinkable. (1,579 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks Capones!

5oz. snifter from draft

A: hazy amber with a slight head - don't recall any lacing

S: crazy caramel bananas foster thing going on here. layers of sweet malts and esters, but not much in the way of hops

T: caramel, creme brulee, sugar, candy, just keeps going - this stuff is sweet - and the alc is obvious, but not overpowering.

M: thick and syrupy with a hint of carb.

D: amazing to taste - it's the port of the beer world. If you approach it like you would a port, it's very drinkable, but it's not to swill during the Giants game.

So the mystery question to all fellow brewers - how the heck do they get it down to 1.020 and maintain that sweetness? (676 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -6.4%

12 oz bottle on Dec. 31, '06.

Pours a golden-brown color. Off-white head. Smells very sweet, malt, caramel, perhaps some berries or cherries. Very light in the mouth (lighter than you'd think). Very sweet taste, much like the aroma. Finishes smooth with relatively no hops in comparison to what I expected, or to what i feel the beer needs for balance.

Too sweet, but the alcohol is amazingly well masked. I thought it would be a chore to drink, but it's light and refreshing. (485 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -14.3%

Appearance: It glows in my glass, light red minimal carbonation and no head, fairly clear.

Smell: Alcohol, oranges, paint?

Taste: Super sweet off the bat. I was expecting the sourest, hoppy trip ever.Not bad.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and chewy, almost syrupy.

Drinkability: I should have mentioned, this is 07's. In my opinion a little better than 06. It goes down VERY slow. A good beer. (389 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +0.8%

I just sampled a bottle the other day from 2004

I found it for 9 bucks...score

A: nothing special

Smell: I knew I was in for a strong beer...lots of alcohol tinged with tangerine...

Taste....wow....it blew me away....super mellowed hop character....with lots of tangerine notes

mouth feel...great thick and viscous

Drinkability....I liked it....as a special occasion beer....too strong for everyday drinking...but I enjoyed it nonetheless (444 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: (split three ways, poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter) golden/copper color, slight haze from both the hoppiness and the fact that the beer is bottle conditioned (active yeast in the bottle), brilliant white head that dissipates into a ring of foam with nice lacing that remains throughout

Aroma: sweet citrus, particularly tangerine, with a distinct aroma of golden raisins/currants and a light twinge of brown sugar/rum/boozy nose

Flavor: tangerine, bitter caramel/burnt sugar, golden raisins, a slight amount of spice/cinnamon, then warming alcohol on the finish

Mouthfeel: silky, medium-low carbonation, definitely not overly syrupy, especially for a beer pushing 20% ABV

Overall: definitely a fantastic beer, certainly more of a barleywine than Imperial IPA, but very unique in its flavors and certainly an experience worth having. It would be very interesting to collect/age these for a few years and do a vertical tasting. DFH recommends trying it with some age on it, so whenever they have another release, I'll try to make that happen. (1,067 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +1%

The date on the bottle says 11/08/08, so this has almost 8 months of age. I notice a little bit of a difference, but nothing significant.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance- Spectacular, hazy ruby color. Head was very white, but very thin.

Smell- The best way to describe it would be a sweet, fermenting citrus aroma with a kick of hops.

Taste- A myriad of hops, natural sugars, and alcohol. Extreme.

Mouthfeel- Extremely full bodied, with mild carbonation.

Drinkability- Not much to say, here. It's a rare occasion when I buy these, and for a good reason. Never will I drink more than one in a session. Let alone, a good three months. (640 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -30.4%

Heedless of Aristotle, this is an extreme beer at its most extreme. I'd long wanted to sample this brew, but its cloyingly sweet, leathery smell nearly changed my mind. The taste was better. Still too sweet, but not unpleasant. It tasted like molasses filtered through crushed flowers. It was not IPA-like. Not even beer-like. (It has a nice, amber color, but a scant head.) Though I haven't tasted Southern Comfort in decades, it reminded me of that. It's drinkable, and it masks its alcohol content quite well until the dwindling aftertaste. This beer lives in the twilight zone between the beer/wine abv's and the hard liquor abv's. Not many beverages go there, and none are as popular as their weaker and stronger cousins. I can't fault Dogfish for venturing into this realm. But, really, could this be anyone's favorite beer or even their drink of choice? (860 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Type: Imperial American IPA
Color: Dark gold color
Body: Lightly carbonated.
Head: Big off white colored head. Really added flavor and lasted a while.
Taste: Very sweet. Piney and fruits up front. Very hoppy but not kicking your ass.
Aroma: Hops and citric smell. Caramel and fruit.

This was definitely a beer that I did not expect to be 18% ABV. I was able to try it in one of my new beer glasses. The head was fantastic and really added flavor. Having tried their 60 Minute IPA, I really want to try their 90 Minute IPA.

Cheers! (532 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving type: bottle dated 3/27/14

A - Golden/Ruby colored with little to no head. Gorgeous color

S - Booze, vanilla, caramel, dried fruit, and a hint of oak. There's no denying this beer's similarity to a barleywine.

T - A warm booziness follows a strong dried fruit note which is further followed by a keen lingering bitterness and alcohol burn. This—and the warming buzziness that comes along with it—is the only hint at just how strong this beer is. It's incredibly well balanced.

M - Thick and lingering. Think of half and half vs. non fat milk

O - An extraordinary beer from our friends at Dogfish. It really is remarkable just how much care and passion goes into this little bottle. Honestly, I would rate this in the top ten beers that I've ever had the pleasure of tasting and a world-class beer that truly stands on it's own. I'm still not sure if I'd call this an IPA or even a triple IPA. It's more of a cross between a double IPA and an american barley wine. I'm glad that I finally had the chance to try this fresh. I've been cellaring a couple of bottles for over a year. Looks like it's time for a vertical tasting! (1,140 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +21.7%

Serving type: 12oz bottle served in a snifter.

Appearance: Hazy golden brown, virtually no head. Lethargic bubbles struggle to reach the surface. This could be dangerous.

Smell: Fresh hops, fruity, floral, sweet, sweet malts.

Taste: Candy sweet. I think I'll need to brush and floss after this one.Offensive hoppy kick. Zing! The high alcohol content isn't noticeable until it makes it's way into your digestive tract. Mommy!!?!?!?

Mouthfeel: Huge body, thick syrupy mouthfeel.

Drinkability/Overall: Needless to say, drink this beast in moderation. Quite an outstanding specimen. This is definately one for the cellar. Wow! (638 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +8.9%

My only response to this "beer" is to treat it as you would treat a fine liquer. Heck, it's 42 proof

The appearance is wonderful, fairly light head with very tight bubbles. Carbonation is minimal in this beer.

Loved the aroma, not as aggressively hoppy as I was anticipating.

The taste is super concentrated, hints of bitter citrus (maybe grapefruit?)

The mouthfeel is almost too thick, even syrupy.

Drinkability, if you treat it right it's very drinkable. Split a glass with two other people. Savor it. (519 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.4%

This is quite a unique beer in itself. It is by far the strongest I have ever tasted. The strength borders a liquor. The taste and color is exceptional, but this beer is definitely a sipping drink. Maybe 2 or 3 on any particular night is plenty for that night. The smell is very sweet, I like the smell of the beer. The mouthfeel is very sweet also. The drinkability is semi difficult because it is a lighter beer that is very strong. I recommend anyone to try this beer at least once. (485 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +24.5%

One of my favorite beers of all time

Excellent finish and clean taste.Not as hoppy as some IPA'S. Can not tell that it is 21% by the taste, only when you give it time to process in the liver!!

Very hard to find sometimes since it it only released 3 times yearly

Excellent Job Sam (288 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a nice hazy orange with at least a two finger foamy head. Good retention and some stickiness.

Smell hits you with spicy citrus notes. The smell of alcohol is somewhat present too.

Taste is very sweet and syrupy. Hops aren't really that bitey, but are there for sure. Really a smooth beer all the way down. Never harsh at all. Maybe this bottle has been sitting around for awhile and tamed a bit.

Drinkability is very good when your just drinking one every once in awhile, but considering the alcohol it packs I can't give it a higher score. Too bad, because this is a really good brew that I would have loved to be able to drink one after the other. I guess 90 minute will have to do. ( : (698 characters)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery