120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,350 | Reviews: 2,197
4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

12 oz bottle - 03 vintage - cellared 60-65F. Quaffed 12/06

appearance: amber with quick dissipating head

smell: sweet malt with citrus notes that disappear fast

taste: sweet backbone with more pine than citrus. Hop flavor is light. Alcohol present but enough malt left to balance.:

mouthfeel: creamy

drinkability: still an enjoyable sipper.

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%

I enjoyed a one year aged bottle out of a snifter glass and here are my notes:

The beer poured a rich caramel color, with a 2 finger head which laced all the way down. VERY hoppy aroma around the beer, and the taste was much the same. A great deal of warmth with the 20%+ ABV and the 100+ IBU's kicked me straight back in my chair. This beer is made for sipping, anyone who chugs this is missing the delecate balance of hoppiness and warmth.

3.23/5  rDev -21.6%

If you don't like to push your limits step away from this beer.

As soon as you open the bottle your house will wreak of hops. Seriously.

This beer is harsh in the mouth as the 21% ABV is very noticeable. However, if you are a hop head (and there is one in all of us) it is still a pleasurable experience.

I wouldn't pair this beer with food, or drink more than one serving of it but it is a great beer to experience. (If I were going to pair it with food I'd opt for the 60 minute IPA cousin)

I literally can't imagine a more hoppy beer. Fun to drink.

Bottled on 5/1/09

A- has a cloudy orange amber color and a very thin white head that leaves a even thin lacing on my Westmalle chalice
S- very strong citrus aromas, lemon rind and grapefruit predominate the nose, you can definitely smell the alcohol from the beginning
T- lots of heat from the 18% alc/vol, very sweet and citrus on the pallet, almost has a sourness to it, it could use at least a year or more in the cellar
M- very creamy and smooth, low carbonation level
D- not as drinkable just due to the high alc/vol, as said earlier, it could use a year or more in the cellar, but overall quite an excellent choice

(reviewed by Daniel)

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Very hazy dark amber, almost copper color with a thin and quickly dissipating off-white head.

S: Loads of caramel with milk chocolate, and just a hint of piney hops.

T: incredibly sweet and caramelly. Very mild and floral hops, not aggressive at all on the hops. Only mild bitterness.

M: one of the thickest, most viscous "IPAish" beers you'll ever drink. Very chewy, with a heavy warming effect, but not an alcohol burn.

O: A memorable beer. I'm glad they serve it in 12 oz bottles because you couldn't drink too much of it--but this definitely warms you on a winter night similar to a heavy stout.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

When I first got into Craft beer I was obsessed with Dogfish Head beers so needless to say when I saw this sitting on the shelf I had to have it. I bought 6 of them for about 12 bucks a pop believing it really would be the Holy Grail of beer lol. It was good, but not to sure it was worth the price.

Appearance: Pores a rich coppery color with a very thin white head. As I pored it into the glass I could see the syrupy thickness.

Smell: Extremely pleasing to the nose, a mixture of tropical fruits and hints of the alcohol.

Taste: ALCOHOL!!! I get all types of tropical fruits mixed in like mango, some pineapple and maybe guava, not sure. Decent amount of bitterness all followed up by the slow burn of alcohol. To me the alcohol outshines the rest of the flavors a bit.

Mouthfeel: Like drinking syrup. :) A thick, syrupy feel that coats the mouth and hangs onto your palate for quite some time.

Overall: Solid and I probably would have enjoyed it more if the alcohol was a little more well hidden. I'm curious as to how this tastes with some age behind it. Every time I tried it the longest it sat was a month.

2.12/5  rDev -48.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

My problem with DFH 120 is that it's presented as an IPA and it's VERY different from what I was expecting based on that broad categorization. I consider DFH 120 a heavily hopped barley wine, and if you open your first bottle expecting that you'll be better off in my opinion.

The appearance is a nice, hazy orange - it certainly looks like a good IPA.

Smell is sharp and boozy. The hops are there, but overpowered by sweet malty smells mixed with the sharpness of alcohol.

Taste follows the nose. This is a sipper - and a very boozy sipper at that. It's tough to get past the alcohol as it overpowers most of the other flavors. Not really surprising at over 15%, but again, this drinks like a barley wine - not an IPA. There's sweetness from the malts, and definitely hoppy bitterness, but any citrus or fruity flavors take a back seat to the booze.

Mouth is sticky, syrupy, and a little thick. The carbonation is there, but overwhelmed by how sticky it is.

Overall - if you love barley wines you'll probably dig DFH 120. If you (like me) love nicely balanced, smooth, and fruity DIPAs, like Heady, Abner, Ghandi, etc.. then you'll probably be disappointed like I was.

It's possible that the bottle I tried wasn't very fresh and that resulted in less hop flavor and more booze - but from what I've heard 120 is pretty boozy regardless. I'm glad I got to knock it off my list, but I won't be seeking out 120 again.

3.41/5  rDev -17.2%

An intense experience. Definitely one to savour and serve in small amounts. Cloudy golden coloured with a head that fades fast. Intense alcohol and hop aromas that are resinous. The flavour is huge bitter hops - oily and rich with a spike on the back palette. The alcoholic warmth starts deep within the pit of the stomach and travels all the way up to the cheeks. Next time I try it will be in front of a fire with a huge cheese platter.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

Color: Amber color, very nice head with good lacing
Aroma: Floral, strong alcohol and orange peel
Taste: Very sweet, tastes like it was brewed with a lot of sugar, not as much bitterness as I would have though. Tastes of candied orange, lemon and lime with a strong alcohol flavor.
Finish: Sweetness lingers for quite awhile; a touch of bitterness after a minute.
Mouthfeel: Light bubbly carbonation and surprisingly light body. Being as strong as it is I would think it would be syrupy, but its not.

3.42/5  rDev -17%

A - Pours a very light copper. A little cloudy which is to expected with a hop monster like this. There was a bit of a white head but it quickly went down to lace ring.

S - Huge hop smell. Spicy lemons and other citrus fruits. Some flower like notes also.

T - Christ almighty its hop candy. The sweetness slaps you in the face. There is still plenty of hop character there. Piney hop presence but mostly the sweetness overwhelms. Not horrible but if I did not know better I would think its some super sweet malt liqour or something. With everything else going on I don't really get much bitterness out of it. Strange.

M - The mouthfeel is pretty silky. leaves mouth puckering piney resin on your tongue after every sip.

D - Like I said not horrible but it will be a chore to even get through this 12 oz bottle. If you do buy one leave it in a closet for like years. It might mature into something else. Then again maybe not. A unique brew for sure but don't know if I will ever get another one. 90 minute and 60 minutes are pretty good drinkable IPAs. This is something else entirely. Enter at your own risk.

3.03/5  rDev -26.5%

Straight out of the bottle I thought I was in a flowering humulus field. Talk about hop city. It even says right on the label and of course the namesake is dedicated to its hopping. This beer was exceptionally hard to get as my distributor told me that they were only delivering this one case at a time to CO.

Poured into a wine glass a rich golden color with light cloudiness and tints of green and yellow towards the bottom of the glass. Very light head retention with only a film of head left after a few minutes; no lacing. Taste is bitter beyond most, yet retains a delicate flavor of malt and hop. I was expecting a pickled mouth from the 21%, however I hardly noticed the strength due mostly in part to the overwhelming bitter and scotch taste. I was able to finish the bottle with little trouble and found a comforting buzz in a small bottle with a ton of taste.

I am not personally a huge hophead and this beer proves it. If you are however, I would say dive in. I wouldn't drink this with a meal as the meal would be completely overshadowed by it.

3.94/5  rDev -4.4%

The infamous 120 minute IPA definitely holds its weight, kinda thick. I love the dogfish head brewery and IPA's, so this was a must try for me, at 21% abv, I was impressed with the taste. However that being said, for the average beer drinker it is semi too much, most non beer enthusiasts will make a face if you let them try or smell it, It is a must try for all IPA lovers but ill stick with the more drinkable 60, or 90.

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

A- Pours a clear amber honey color with little head but I feel this is due to a slow pour. Looks viscous, bubbles move lazily to the top.

S- Alcohol, pine, resins, wood, citrus.

T- Alcohol, resins, pine, citrus.

M- Warming, prickly bubbles, slight stickiness.

D- This one bottle is very drinkable, but the alcohol and bottle price should keep consumption to a minimum.

3.28/5  rDev -20.4%

12 oz glass, on tap at Blind Tiger, NYC 10/8/03 Night of the Imperials Part 2

Appearance/Head: Orange color. Rather hazy. Very light head, which is understandable due to the very high ABV.

Aroma: Rich fruitness. It smells very sweet. Some hops, but not the heavy hop aroma I would have expected from 120 IBU's.

Taste: Very thick body. Candy sugar with hops. Notes of brown sugar, blackstrap molasses, and caramelized apples. Overly sweet, not very balanced. Maybe it needs 200 IBU's? The taste actually reminds me some of Samuel Adam's Triple Bock.

Bottom line: I applaud Dogfish Head for created such a unique brew. Unfornuately this is one of those experiments that doesn't quite turn out as you had hoped. I recommend you try this beer if you have a chance, because it is one of a kind.

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Bottle poured into a Chimay Goblet. The beer pours a copper color with a quickly dispersing head. Beer is slightly cloudy but enough only to barely notice. I am surprised honestly at how bitter this beer is but with only how lightly the scent of hops emanates from it. If I had smelled this not knowing what it was, it could be a normal pale ale. Taking a sip however immediately changes your taste buds. There is a lot of malt, backed by a generous hop flavors, and a sweet finish. This is a completely different style of DIPA from say a Stone Ruination. I would say there is almost an element of a Barleywine in this brew. The ABV of 18% is not too severe on the palate, and this bottle is a 2011 release. The beer gets more fragrant, complex, and flavorful as the beer warms into the low 60 degree F range. It will warm on you too, as the abv and the sheer style of the beer makes this a sipper, rather than a session beer. I had to keep readjusting the smell score as it kept changing as the beer warmed. My final thoughts: I like this beer, is it something I would pay to have on a regular basis? No, not even if I could, as in CT this is rather a PITA to find. But it is an enjoyable treat that is definitely different than many of the throw as many hops in as possible style DIPA's.

3.09/5  rDev -25%

This is a beer I was super excited about. Tried it at the SIB 2008. 4oz pour was really nice, beautiful white head on top of a golden body.
Smell was out of this world. Very fresh hop smell, got me all excited about the fist sip, but...

Taste was very underwhelming. Over sweet, almost sickly-sweet. I can understand this in a stout, but in an IPA it seems very out of place. It was hard to pinpoint any other flavors. I'll admit my palatte isn't fine-tuned, but it was hard with the one-dimensional There was no discernable alcohol taste, which is amazing considering the reported 21% abv. I just really wish they would cut back on the malt a bit to lessen some of the sweet taste. Really this could go on pancakes and be acceptable as a syrup. Mouthfeel was pretty good. Carbonation was right on target, but it was hard to leave it on my tongue for more than a moment due to the pervasive sweetness.

Overall drinkability I am rating low because this is really a special beer. I can see someone enjoying this after dinner *sipping SLOWLY* but other than that it's hard to imagine a situation where I'd be really enjoying this. I plan on trying it again sometime, but for my first tasting this was rather dissapointing.

3.87/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter

A: A nice cloudy, thick, amber/orange color with a one-finger head that fades away to lightly cover the top.

S: Judging by the nose, this is a very BIG beer. Very sweet malty aroma that moves into a hoppy pine smell finishing with alcohol in the background.

T: Hits my tongue with a sweet honey flavor right off the bat. Next comes a citrus & maltiness in the middle, followed by a huge hop spice always present in the background. It finishes with the warming taste of alcohol.

M: One of the most interesting mouthfeels I've experienced in a while. A very big oily mouthfeel very thick & heavy, yet smooth. Reminds me of drinking 2% milk...then the carbonation kicks in to remind you this is a beer.

D: Definitely a BIG beer! Would have to say it's not a very drinkable brew, but who would expect anything else but a nice sipper at 21% ABV! Reminds me of a nice port, only 4-6oz. is really necessary, 12oz. is a little too much.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Great head retention. The lace holds strong. This pours a gold amber. You can tell at the pour that it is a medium bodied beer.

S - Very hoppy smell with a fruity to citrus scent. I can almost smell the acidity.

T - Sweet for an ipa with a strong bitterness from the hops. It almost seems to even out from the two radicals. There is a booming of flavor which is what I expected from this beer.

M - Such a thick viscosity to this beer. I have had stouts that were lighter than this beer. The carbonation is noticeable in this beer but not overpowering.

O - This is a good beer. Out of all dogfish head's beers I preferred this one, except for the chicory stout. This lives up to it's expectations.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

18% etoh! 120 IBU's! This is a beer to be enjoyed, not chugged! This is a special beer to be shared and savored like Sam Adams Utopia. The 2 are very similar except 120 is carbonated. A very heavy beer. This beer is one of my favs to start the night out with! Every year I stay at the Crosswinds Motel, right next to the Dogfish brewery/flagship store in DE, just to get my Dogfish fill!

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: Amber, Jurassic park type color. Crawled all over the glass

S: Boozy cocktail. The first time I 120'd all I could think was Grand Marnier + soda. There's more going on here, though. There's definitely bourbon'y flavors, not too much sweetness or vanilla which I hate, but a <great> counter to the booze.

T: Sickly sweet, bourbon over soda all the way. There's

M: = It really makes me think of a crown+ginger more than anything else. I'm a Hop person, but this is just straight booze, sweetness, (light) smoke, etc. Grand Marnier is also in the picture.

O: This IS a cocktail, letting it sit in a glass whilst doing other stuff is how to drink this. It develops before you open it, in the glass, and as you enjoy it. GREAT beer, in my opinion.

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

bottled 7/2/2013 and poured into a snifter.

A- Poured slowly but high above the glass to create a thick white head. Good quality lacing just from the initial pour. Very orange/apricot color to the beer. Very appealing.

S- Malt and booze. For a beer that has been hopped to hell and back all I can smell is sweetness from the malt. On further assessment there are subtle hints of caramel, and spiced citrus.

T- This is where I realized I may not be a fan of such high ABV's. I'd rather have Tequila or Rye Whiskey because of the balance. This beer is all sweet with flavors of citrus and caramel. The malt finish is huge, adding to the sweetness. Minimal hops. I know they are there, because they have to be, but tasting them is difficult. Booze and malt are all I can distinguish.

M- Like a mouth full of a good liqueur this beer has a sweet rich feel with minimal carbonation.

O- Can I say disappointed? WIth 60,75, and 90 being so very impressive I expected this to crush them all. I instead encountered a totally different beast. More Liqueur than beer, this beverage needs to come with a warning. A warning that it should only be consumed in small quantities after a hearty meal. Very much digestif-like. Give me Averna or Fernet any day...

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Got it had it love it. Nnow to age it. I'll try my best

Great big thick IPA. Will update this after second one.

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5oz draft pour into a snifter. I was surprised by the initial foamy white head, but it quickly diminished, as did the lacing as I went. Very drinkable for 18%, but a bit of a mediciny booziness. Worth a try, but at $1 an ounce, not the best bang for the buck in the double/triple ipa category.

3.52/5  rDev -14.6%

Finally got a couple bottles of this too-alcoholic-for-Ohio IPA at the source on a recent trip to the east coast (it always sells out at the store I go to in PA before I have a chance to get there).

A: Pours a dark amber- darker than any IPA I've ever seen. Hardly any light comes through- again, strange for the style, but in a positive way. An agressive pour yielded a one finger whitish head.

S: Smells of citrusy hops, not much else (and since I'm a hophead, this is a good thing).

T: Hmm. I was expecting an atomic hop bomb, not quite what I got. The hops are very present, sure, but a strong, almost barleywine-like malt presence as well, and alcohol. (I know, I know, it's 21%, but I've had beers from DFH in the 18-20% range that hide their alcohol presence quite well.)

M: Thick, syrupy mouthfeel, which I like, but the carbonation and the alcohol burn are a tad much IMO.

D: It's 21%. Need I say more?

I'm really glad I got a chance to try this one, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again, especially given the price. Perhaps I'll age the other bottle and see what that does, but as it stands I prefer the 90 and even the 60 minute varieties.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery