120 Minute IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Beer added by: frank4sail on 03-24-2003

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 120 Minute IPA Alström Bros

3.52/5  rDev -14.4%

I have sampled this several times at various beer festivals, but this is my first showdown with a full 12 oz. bottle. Let's take a closer look...

A barely legible inscription on the neck of the bottle says it was bottled on 09/07/06. Date of consumption: 03/01/07, so it has spent 6 months in the bottle, about 4 of those in my fridge. Sometimes I am amazed by my own patience.

Poured into an oversized wine glass with thin walls, the beer has a bright orange color with a small white head full of larger than normal bubbles. Holding the glass up to my nose, the beer reeks of hops with a sweet malt backbone. Very pleasing and unique. The first sip packs a punch. The hops are still present, but they have been dominated by an overwhelming sweetness. The alcohol is noticeable, but for a 21% beer, it does not make it too hot too drink. Personally, the sweetness is just too much for me and it takes away from the beer. Instead of being a smooth sipper, this beer is just tough to handle. The aftertaste is not pleasant and after a few sips I am ready for something else.

For me, the 120 Minute just gets worse as you drink it. I think it would best be served in 4 oz. servings. Possibly in a small snifter as an after dinner drink. A truly overwhelming brew, but one that I believe would be better off if it was toned down a bit. But I guess that is what the 90 Min IPA is for...

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Big nose on this one. Tangerine, mango, papaya, pineapple, lime rind, and caramel. All these flavors are easily picked out as none of them exhibits dominance over the others. Very well balanced on the nose.

Visible carbonation rising through the orange beer. It actually has a head which I am shocked to discover as it's only 18% alcohol, LOL. Lacing is minimal, but I expected none, so thats better than nothing.

Booze right up front, but it is controlled as this sweetness punches through. The tropical flavors outperform just about anything else in the taste here. It's as if I had just drank a tropical smoothie with caramel syrup laced within it.

120 Minute IPA is thick too, sticky sweet. The carbonation is at a moderate level, allowing the beer to self clean itself off your palate. It's a great beer for sure, but one that I don't see myself buying too often because of the $1/oz price tag.

3.43/5  rDev -16.5%

2003 vintage, opened August 2006. Pours out a reddish brown, with a thin off white head, and plenty of carbonation. The nose is fruity, with peaches, and strawberries, bellied by hops and yeast. Taste sweetly carbonated, but finishes fairly dry and clean.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

This is the 'O4 version I am pouring from a 12 oz. bottle to which I am still not sure the difference between 12 oz. bottles and the larger bottles and why that would affect taste, so respond to me and tell me if you know...

anyways, I poured this MOST anticipated IPA into my goblet, which I call Trusty, and was blown away by how clean it poured. It poured a coppery, amberish also in color, and left a nice 1/4" head that left nice lacing on the sides of Trusty.

To smell it...oh my GOD! Can I get some hops with my sugar please!!!???? The hops smell was suprising subtle next to the smell of sugary sweetness w/ tones of citrus in there as well. As I began to tilt the glass to sip, the hops shot up my nostrals and left me with some delightment.

Taste- Okay, I am biased about DogFish Head in that I enjoy their beers maybe more than from any other brewer, but I have to say that after having the 90 minute, I didn't think it could get any better than that...well, it did...a half hour of hopping sure makes a difference in taste and feel. From the start the 20% alcohol doesn't mess around and hits you with burn right away. It makes it tough to taste any hops, which you do get some there and they come on at the end of the swallow and leave a great aftertaste, along with lots of sugar there. Due to the carbonation and alcohol burn along with hops, I almost got a peppery taste in there that was interesting.

Mouthfeel- aside from the destruction of my palette due to alcohol burn (yager style), this beer is a very creamy, full-bodied Imperial IPA to which no others can hang with! Decent carbonation there, bitey alcohol; what more can you ask for from DogFish?

I wanted to wait for a few years to crack this, but I had a hardon (almost literally) when I got this bottle and I knew I couldn't wait...i am glad I didn't...but I know the next bottle will sit for a year or so!

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from bottle into Tulip.

A. Beautiful orange color. 1 finger head. Not much lacing at all. Some particles floating, lots of bubbles rising from bottom of glass.

S. Hops, alcohol, malty sweetness, some citrus notes as it warms.

T. Massive amounts of the following: hops, alchohol, sweetness from malt, toffee notes from malt. Finishes very sweet.

M. Full bodied. Leaves a tongue coating sweetness. Some alcohol burn. Candy coating left on the lips.

D. For 21% I have to say that its pretty drinkable. It is a sipper for sure. Might be a little too boozey for it to be a regular drinker for me. You can not deny the fact that this is a unique and interesting beer.

4.9/5  rDev +19.2%

Almost as good of a beer as you can get

Appearance- Pours a beautiful orange color a fingers width of head. Moderate lacing.

Taste- Booze is hidden very well. Hops, pine, and some malt take over. Very dangerous beer that seems to be in the 6-8% ABV range.
Overall- This is a must on any beer connoisseur. Right up there with Zombie Dust, Pliny the Elder, Heady Topper, and Black Note Stout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had to try this on tap while at the brewpub. I didn't really like the bottle versions I have had as they were way too cloy. However, this is an entirely different beer on tap. The pour is lush orange toped with a lovely white head. The carbonation and the freshness really brings out the hops in the nose, full of heavy floral hops citrus, piney. The alcohol comes through with a heavy handed sweet malt smell. The taste is something else, full hop attack is quickly diminished as the malt sweetness takes over and the alcohol finishes and the aftertaste lingers on and on. The malt flavors are like a brandy a little sherry, also some full caramel tastes. All in all much beter on tap but still a sipper as there are many flavors to go through in this beer @20%.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Brewery