Join our email list →

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,174 | Hads: 7,691
2.99/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Dogfish makes some wonderful stuff, but this one was just too much for me; for what it is, it's probably excellent, but the alcohol burn is just over the top. I love the 60 Minute and 90 Minute, and this one looks beautiful, a nice deep orange, but you can smell the alcohol quite strongly right from the start. Far more malty than hoppy, so despite the brewing process, very unlike your typical IPA. This would, I assume, be an excellent brew for those that like the extremes in beer, with high alcohol (and I sometimes do myself; Bourbon County Stout is a fabulous example), but for this one, the alcohol is just too strong and too forward for my taste, so I won't be buying again after my stock is gone. Again, probably very good if you like the alcohol forward beers, but be forewarned!

4.67/5  rDev +17.9%

Had this On-Tap at O'Bannon's 11/11/11

A: Orange, with a small amount of head, hazy

S: so hoppy it almost burns, but in the most pleasant way possible.

T: sweet, hoppy, but not as bitter as you'd think. the flavor of the hops is incredible, with the booze very well masked.

M: definitely feel the booze. little syrupy, but not as bad as other 18% beers I've had (Tokyo*). Medium carbonation, but goes down smooth, then warms the stomach.

O: Loved this beer. very different from any other IIPA I've had. almost a class of its own, as the bitterness is much less, the hop flavor is much more present and not masked by bitterness, and of course that ever present sweetness.

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

bottle share with friend. poured into dogfish head snifter.

A:deep orange with about 1/2 finger head.

S: sweet with heavy alcohol notes.

T: Sweet up front with slight alcohol burn in the back. Not bitter at all which surprised be for being a IPA hopped for 2 hours. Gets sticky/cloying as you keep drinking it.

Good beer, but the taste is not what I expected.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%

A: Poured a nice golden amber/orange with a thin head.

S: Very strong dried apricot and citrus aroma, gave way to a rather strong alcohol waft when swirled in the glass.

T: Very smooth and full flavored, sweet with a warming alcohol finish. The first dinks were fruity with hints of citrus, after I had a chance to warm a bit; it gave way to a very sweet honey and raisin flavor.

M: Very thin mouthfeel due to the high alcohol content and low carbonation. A small sip went a long way to coat all of your taste buds.

O: A great beer to try. Not only is a great tasting, but it a great conversation piece to sit and share with a friend.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving type: bottle dated 3/27/14

A - Golden/Ruby colored with little to no head. Gorgeous color

S - Booze, vanilla, caramel, dried fruit, and a hint of oak. There's no denying this beer's similarity to a barleywine.

T - A warm booziness follows a strong dried fruit note which is further followed by a keen lingering bitterness and alcohol burn. This—and the warming buzziness that comes along with it—is the only hint at just how strong this beer is. It's incredibly well balanced.

M - Thick and lingering. Think of half and half vs. non fat milk

O - An extraordinary beer from our friends at Dogfish. It really is remarkable just how much care and passion goes into this little bottle. Honestly, I would rate this in the top ten beers that I've ever had the pleasure of tasting and a world-class beer that truly stands on it's own. I'm still not sure if I'd call this an IPA or even a triple IPA. It's more of a cross between a double IPA and an american barley wine. I'm glad that I finally had the chance to try this fresh. I've been cellaring a couple of bottles for over a year. Looks like it's time for a vertical tasting!

1.5/5  rDev -62.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a cognac snifter. It looks hazy orange and its completely opaque.

It smells like nail polish remover that has been seasoned with off hops. It is just terrible. It smells like the orange Old English Wood Soap that I use to mop my floors. This could make paint fall off a shed.

The taste is like some terrible new hop-flavored black rum. I am used to my hop bombs being hop forward, and malts secondary. This is the opposite where the sweetness is front and center and the hops are fighting with it. There is nothing good about the taste of this beer. It tastes like if Admiral Nelson made a port or the type of liquor you use in baking.

The mouthfeel adds to the already less than ideal characteristics, making this beer one of my all time least favorites. I would sooner drink Natural Ice than drink this.

This beer is ambitious and that is all it is. I like Dogfish Head as a brewery, and I am really glad they are in Bloomington and Indiana on the whole, but this beer frankly is just awful with no redeeming characteristics. I ended up drain pouring it. I have had enough beers like Founders Devil Dancer that I can appreciate an ambitious attempt at making a one-of-a-kind beer, however, this beer is just too much. There is fine line between a pleasant beer, which rather than attacking the palate attempts to work with it, and a beer that fights your palate every step of the way. I wouldn't recommend this beer to my worst enemy.

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark orange with a thin lacing with a decent size head. Smell is of alcohol. At first taste you get the hops and the citrus fruit but then you get hit with the over welming alcohol flavor. More of a barley wine to me then IPA. Very good beer all around with it hitting a Abv of 21% this year.

1.93/5  rDev -51.3%

Appearence: Looks identical to the 90minute IPA, great color as orangy vibrance, the head is a wonderful yellow-tan. bubles streamy up glass and are medium in size. If the boil is 30 minutes longer that the 90 minute, how do they keep the color the same? Wouldn't the wort caramelize a bit more and make a different colored beer, even a little?
Aroma: Smells like porkfat or bad BBQ. I couldn't really get much hop character. There should be plenty of distinct hop aroma if it is truely dry hopped every day for a month, its not there. Perhaps the big malty character overwhelms the dryhopping process, reducing its efficiency.
Taste: Holy cow this is big. Classic "imperial" sweetness. The intense maltiness is overpowering and now terrible enjoyable. tanginess presumably from the high ABV, bites at the tongue, making it difficult to taste teh complex malt body. The long hop schedule presents itself as being very sweet/flavorful, with little bitterness. As with the 90minute I expected to be blown away.
Mouthfeel: very milk like texture. Caramel candy like stickiness on the palate.

Overall: It is amazing how sweet the hop flavor is, and the bitterness from teh hopping is just not there. I don't quit understand how this beer is really an IPA without the bitterness. Maybe just a really big hop flavored Pale ale. This is unique and novel, but its not good to drink. I am impressed by the technique and the truly unique character to this beer, it iw well done in the strangeness catagory.
However, just because its unique doesn't make it good or anymore drinkable.

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks Capones!

5oz. snifter from draft

A: hazy amber with a slight head - don't recall any lacing

S: crazy caramel bananas foster thing going on here. layers of sweet malts and esters, but not much in the way of hops

T: caramel, creme brulee, sugar, candy, just keeps going - this stuff is sweet - and the alc is obvious, but not overpowering.

M: thick and syrupy with a hint of carb.

D: amazing to taste - it's the port of the beer world. If you approach it like you would a port, it's very drinkable, but it's not to swill during the Giants game.

So the mystery question to all fellow brewers - how the heck do they get it down to 1.020 and maintain that sweetness?

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz bottle on Dec. 31, '06.

Pours a golden-brown color. Off-white head. Smells very sweet, malt, caramel, perhaps some berries or cherries. Very light in the mouth (lighter than you'd think). Very sweet taste, much like the aroma. Finishes smooth with relatively no hops in comparison to what I expected, or to what i feel the beer needs for balance.

Too sweet, but the alcohol is amazingly well masked. I thought it would be a chore to drink, but it's light and refreshing.

3.36/5  rDev -15.2%

Appearance: It glows in my glass, light red minimal carbonation and no head, fairly clear.

Smell: Alcohol, oranges, paint?

Taste: Super sweet off the bat. I was expecting the sourest, hoppy trip ever.Not bad.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and chewy, almost syrupy.

Drinkability: I should have mentioned, this is 07's. In my opinion a little better than 06. It goes down VERY slow. A good beer.

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

I just sampled a bottle the other day from 2004

I found it for 9 bucks...score

A: nothing special

Smell: I knew I was in for a strong beer...lots of alcohol tinged with tangerine...

Taste....wow....it blew me away....super mellowed hop character....with lots of tangerine notes

mouth feel...great thick and viscous

Drinkability....I liked it....as a special occasion beer....too strong for everyday drinking...but I enjoyed it nonetheless

3.96/5  rDev 0%

The date on the bottle says 11/08/08, so this has almost 8 months of age. I notice a little bit of a difference, but nothing significant.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance- Spectacular, hazy ruby color. Head was very white, but very thin.

Smell- The best way to describe it would be a sweet, fermenting citrus aroma with a kick of hops.

Taste- A myriad of hops, natural sugars, and alcohol. Extreme.

Mouthfeel- Extremely full bodied, with mild carbonation.

Drinkability- Not much to say, here. It's a rare occasion when I buy these, and for a good reason. Never will I drink more than one in a session. Let alone, a good three months.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: (split three ways, poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter) golden/copper color, slight haze from both the hoppiness and the fact that the beer is bottle conditioned (active yeast in the bottle), brilliant white head that dissipates into a ring of foam with nice lacing that remains throughout

Aroma: sweet citrus, particularly tangerine, with a distinct aroma of golden raisins/currants and a light twinge of brown sugar/rum/boozy nose

Flavor: tangerine, bitter caramel/burnt sugar, golden raisins, a slight amount of spice/cinnamon, then warming alcohol on the finish

Mouthfeel: silky, medium-low carbonation, definitely not overly syrupy, especially for a beer pushing 20% ABV

Overall: definitely a fantastic beer, certainly more of a barleywine than Imperial IPA, but very unique in its flavors and certainly an experience worth having. It would be very interesting to collect/age these for a few years and do a vertical tasting. DFH recommends trying it with some age on it, so whenever they have another release, I'll try to make that happen.

2.73/5  rDev -31.1%

Heedless of Aristotle, this is an extreme beer at its most extreme. I'd long wanted to sample this brew, but its cloyingly sweet, leathery smell nearly changed my mind. The taste was better. Still too sweet, but not unpleasant. It tasted like molasses filtered through crushed flowers. It was not IPA-like. Not even beer-like. (It has a nice, amber color, but a scant head.) Though I haven't tasted Southern Comfort in decades, it reminded me of that. It's drinkable, and it masks its alcohol content quite well until the dwindling aftertaste. This beer lives in the twilight zone between the beer/wine abv's and the hard liquor abv's. Not many beverages go there, and none are as popular as their weaker and stronger cousins. I can't fault Dogfish for venturing into this realm. But, really, could this be anyone's favorite beer or even their drink of choice?

3.88/5  rDev -2%

Type: Imperial American IPA
Color: Dark gold color
Body: Lightly carbonated.
Head: Big off white colored head. Really added flavor and lasted a while.
Taste: Very sweet. Piney and fruits up front. Very hoppy but not kicking your ass.
Aroma: Hops and citric smell. Caramel and fruit.

This was definitely a beer that I did not expect to be 18% ABV. I was able to try it in one of my new beer glasses. The head was fantastic and really added flavor. Having tried their 60 Minute IPA, I really want to try their 90 Minute IPA.

Cheers!

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had this one before on the fly but wanted to take a better look since coming here to BA.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a tall tulip glass. Hazy golden amber with thin head and light lacing. Incredibly tiny bubbles but a good amount of them.

Smells of sweetened medium roast malts, cirtusy apricots, brown sugar, and even a little bit of cocoa. WOW this has a lot of things going on. It's difficult even putting a finger on some of the smells since I will type and put it up to my nose and find different things about it. Really complex and not nearly as hoppy as I thought it would be, but in no way is that a bad thing.

Overall an amazing beer and well worth the $13 I paid for a 12oz bottle.

4.77/5  rDev +20.5%

Serving type: 12oz bottle served in a snifter.

Appearance: Hazy golden brown, virtually no head. Lethargic bubbles struggle to reach the surface. This could be dangerous.

Smell: Fresh hops, fruity, floral, sweet, sweet malts.

Taste: Candy sweet. I think I'll need to brush and floss after this one.Offensive hoppy kick. Zing! The high alcohol content isn't noticeable until it makes it's way into your digestive tract. Mommy!!?!?!?

Mouthfeel: Huge body, thick syrupy mouthfeel.

Drinkability/Overall: Needless to say, drink this beast in moderation. Quite an outstanding specimen. This is definately one for the cellar. Wow!

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

My only response to this "beer" is to treat it as you would treat a fine liquer. Heck, it's 42 proof

The appearance is wonderful, fairly light head with very tight bubbles. Carbonation is minimal in this beer.

Loved the aroma, not as aggressively hoppy as I was anticipating.

The taste is super concentrated, hints of bitter citrus (maybe grapefruit?)

The mouthfeel is almost too thick, even syrupy.

Drinkability, if you treat it right it's very drinkable. Split a glass with two other people. Savor it.

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

This is quite a unique beer in itself. It is by far the strongest I have ever tasted. The strength borders a liquor. The taste and color is exceptional, but this beer is definitely a sipping drink. Maybe 2 or 3 on any particular night is plenty for that night. The smell is very sweet, I like the smell of the beer. The mouthfeel is very sweet also. The drinkability is semi difficult because it is a lighter beer that is very strong. I recommend anyone to try this beer at least once.

4.88/5  rDev +23.2%

One of my favorite beers of all time

Excellent finish and clean taste.Not as hoppy as some IPA'S. Can not tell that it is 21% by the taste, only when you give it time to process in the liver!!

Very hard to find sometimes since it it only released 3 times yearly

Excellent Job Sam

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a nice hazy orange with at least a two finger foamy head. Good retention and some stickiness.

Smell hits you with spicy citrus notes. The smell of alcohol is somewhat present too.

Taste is very sweet and syrupy. Hops aren't really that bitey, but are there for sure. Really a smooth beer all the way down. Never harsh at all. Maybe this bottle has been sitting around for awhile and tamed a bit.

Drinkability is very good when your just drinking one every once in awhile, but considering the alcohol it packs I can't give it a higher score. Too bad, because this is a really good brew that I would have loved to be able to drink one after the other. I guess 90 minute will have to do. ( :

4.37/5  rDev +10.4%

Fantastic Pour but the head didn't last too long. Deep amber color and just slightly cloudy. Highly aromatic with hints of raisins, and a slight hint of ethanol. It's suprising how easily it is to drink. The taste is complex without aging and almost flowerful. It finishes with a slight taste of ethanol and alittle warmth when swallowed. Overall a great beer!

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

12 oz., bottled 7-8-08

a: pours hazy copper with a solid beige head that fades quickly but leaves beautiful lacing.

s: sweet fruit up front, plum, raisin, banana, then whiffs of oak and hops.

t: powerful malt/fruity sweetness, so overpowering that's all i could taste from beginning to end.

m: thick and chewy with medium carbonation.

d: way too sweet, but i've got three left from the same batch, i'm thinking one every two years to gauge the changes as it ages. this was my least favorite of the dogfish head 20 percenters.

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

a: bronze and turbid with slight haze that was probably due to my serving it too cold. finely b
eaded, thin and wispy but lasting head.

a: pears and apples. winey? minimal hops. etoh!!

taste: sweet and ?cidery?. hop note there and bitterness is there but its overwhelmed by sweetness. not being a big dogfish fan, i didnt realize that this was 21% when i opened it. I was suprised by the alcohol in aroma but this beer hides it amazingly well in taste. i would have guessed 12% before i read other reviews. alcohol more prevalent as it warms. lingering maltiness that is not in initial taste.

mouthfeel: tart and viscous(cant bring myself to type syrupy)

overall: not what i was expecting. my initial impression was not good(mentioned that it was served cool). a unique experience indeed. dfh should think about re-categorizing this beer, so as not to have people expecting a typical dipa although i cant find a reason that it doesnt technically fit. one of my first questions was "would i recognize this as beer if i didnt know?" would i pay 10$ for another? yes but just barely and i'd split it with at least one other person, because i need a nap.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery