120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,187 | Ratings: 7,777
4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

18% etoh! 120 IBU's! This is a beer to be enjoyed, not chugged! This is a special beer to be shared and savored like Sam Adams Utopia. The 2 are very similar except 120 is carbonated. A very heavy beer. This beer is one of my favs to start the night out with! Every year I stay at the Crosswinds Motel, right next to the Dogfish brewery/flagship store in DE, just to get my Dogfish fill!

3.3/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

bottled 7/2/2013 and poured into a snifter.

A- Poured slowly but high above the glass to create a thick white head. Good quality lacing just from the initial pour. Very orange/apricot color to the beer. Very appealing.

S- Malt and booze. For a beer that has been hopped to hell and back all I can smell is sweetness from the malt. On further assessment there are subtle hints of caramel, and spiced citrus.

T- This is where I realized I may not be a fan of such high ABV's. I'd rather have Tequila or Rye Whiskey because of the balance. This beer is all sweet with flavors of citrus and caramel. The malt finish is huge, adding to the sweetness. Minimal hops. I know they are there, because they have to be, but tasting them is difficult. Booze and malt are all I can distinguish.

M- Like a mouth full of a good liqueur this beer has a sweet rich feel with minimal carbonation.

O- Can I say disappointed? WIth 60,75, and 90 being so very impressive I expected this to crush them all. I instead encountered a totally different beast. More Liqueur than beer, this beverage needs to come with a warning. A warning that it should only be consumed in small quantities after a hearty meal. Very much digestif-like. Give me Averna or Fernet any day...

4.96/5  rDev +25.3%

A- Pours a clear amber color with a slightly tan, foamy head that dissipates quickly, leaving a fair amount of alcohol lacing on the glass.

S- Very sweet burnt sugar notes right up front, with some alcohol in the nose along with an array of roasted malts and hoppy pine smells. Liquid caramel, molasses, definitely not for those who don't like sweetness in their beers. The alcohol in this almost tastes like the bourbon you would get from barrel aging, which earns this beer massive points for me.

T- Follows the nose, with a huge punch of that burnt sugar sweetness and dried fruits, almost a syrupy kind of malt to the flavor with a definitive alcohol kick at the end. There's hop bitterness, but it's just enough to balance out the amazing amount of sweetness in this beer. Almost like a dessert in a glass, or a tasty, high end liqueur.

F- Full bodied and thick for an IPA, but you would expect that with an IPA of this strength.

O- Wow, this beer was simply amazing. This is my new favorite IPA of all time, and it was worth every penny I paid for it. This is one hyped beer that definitely lives up to the reputation for me.

3.52/5  rDev -11.1%

Finally got a couple bottles of this too-alcoholic-for-Ohio IPA at the source on a recent trip to the east coast (it always sells out at the store I go to in PA before I have a chance to get there).

A: Pours a dark amber- darker than any IPA I've ever seen. Hardly any light comes through- again, strange for the style, but in a positive way. An agressive pour yielded a one finger whitish head.

S: Smells of citrusy hops, not much else (and since I'm a hophead, this is a good thing).

T: Hmm. I was expecting an atomic hop bomb, not quite what I got. The hops are very present, sure, but a strong, almost barleywine-like malt presence as well, and alcohol. (I know, I know, it's 21%, but I've had beers from DFH in the 18-20% range that hide their alcohol presence quite well.)

M: Thick, syrupy mouthfeel, which I like, but the carbonation and the alcohol burn are a tad much IMO.

D: It's 21%. Need I say more?

I'm really glad I got a chance to try this one, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again, especially given the price. Perhaps I'll age the other bottle and see what that does, but as it stands I prefer the 90 and even the 60 minute varieties.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

APPEARANCE: A dark amber nearly light orange in color with very little, almost no really, head that dissipates very quickly with no trace.

AROMA: A sweet, malty, slightly biscuity smell with a definite note of alcohol. Emphasis here is on the sweet side. Very reminiscent of a Barleywine.

FLAVOR: My first reaction was still that it reminded me a bit of a barley wine, but sweeter. There were strong malt, caramel, and (maybe) some molasses notes. But this was all about the sweet in the mouth. After swallowing a strong tingle, nay heat, of alcohol comes on. The heat lingered pleasantly like a fine Scotch or a nice Cognac.

PALATE: Definitely full bodied beer, sweet, hot, and wonderful.

MOUTH FEEL: A thick, extremely rich, very light carbonated beer that coats the mouth with sweetness, and ends with a hot heat of alcohol.

NOTES: The beer is rich, thick, flavorful, and the 18.0% ABV comes through quite obviously. This is a beer that you drink, more likely than not, as a special occasion beer. Like you would have a nice Scotch or Cognac. The 120 Min is definitely a beer that opens up as it nears room temperature, you need to let it warm to fully appreciate it.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%

A: Poured a nice golden amber/orange with a thin head.

S: Very strong dried apricot and citrus aroma, gave way to a rather strong alcohol waft when swirled in the glass.

T: Very smooth and full flavored, sweet with a warming alcohol finish. The first dinks were fruity with hints of citrus, after I had a chance to warm a bit; it gave way to a very sweet honey and raisin flavor.

M: Very thin mouthfeel due to the high alcohol content and low carbonation. A small sip went a long way to coat all of your taste buds.

O: A great beer to try. Not only is a great tasting, but it a great conversation piece to sit and share with a friend.

Coppery amber pour with a thin but sticky white head. This is an big, big beer. Extremely pungent citrus hop aroma, complemented by hints of caramel, toffee, molasses, toast, and vanilla. Taste is very sweet up front, probably less sweet than you might imagine. All the flavors you might expect in your favorite barleywine. The candyish sweetness is very nicely offset by the ridiculous accompanying hop flavor and bitterness.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Shared a 12 oz bottle and poured into two snifters.

A: It was a golden yellow color, cloudy not much head but good lacing on the glass.

S: I detected a hint of pine hoppiness, sweet smelling.

T: It was a sweet beer, it had a malty honey flavor, with a hoppy finish, orange peel taste present, hints of citrus with the sweetness.

M: thick due to the sweetness of the beer, as the beer warmed it reminded me of a decent port wine.

Overall: It was a sweet, big beer that took a bit of time to drink 6 oz. As the beer warmed it reminded of a port wine, complex flavors, hoppy but with a honey, malt flavor and citrus on the back end. This is a beer I could drink every so often, a couple of year would be fine for me. I'll try aging a bottle and see how the flavors mellow.

2.26/5  rDev -42.9%

Poured a murky dark amber with a smallish head. Aroma of hops and alcohol. Accents of booze, hops, and cough syrup. Mouthfeel likewise similar to syrup. Drank it slow and tried to think of it not as a normal beer, but this did not help. Way too sweet and viscous for my taste. A shame, as I was really looking forward to trying this beer. My dropping $12 on a 12oz is testament to that. A big disappointment all around.

4.56/5  rDev +15.2%

Bottled on date: 07/08/08 F
Drank on: 1/20/10

a nice looking beer, pours an brown/golden amber color, my nose was a little stuffy but i could smell the hops in it

wish i could taste a 10.0, tons of flavors, i get mainly a spicy, cinnamon taste to it, it has a little bitter/hoppy taste at the finish as well as a boozy end, the beer was thick but at just the right amount

this beer went a little too quick for me, this is definitely gonna be a tradition on 1/20 to drink this, i really need to get a case and try it on-tap

3.88/5  rDev -2%

Fresh out of the case - 2011 bottling. Have had it aged before...let's just see. Poured into my scaldis goblet.

Pours a filtered, bright amber hue.

Subtle nose...frankly, hardly anything there! Cleared my throat and blew my nose...still not much! If anything, I'm getting some rock candy sweetness...but this is interesting.

First sip...good lord. How massive, how sumptuous, how utterly balanced - how does Sam do it? The hop presence coats my mouth but the massive amount of malt eases everything in so much I don't notice the absurd ABV. Wow.

Huge body - comparable to a milkshake.

Here's the kicker - the finish sits everywhere. Top to mid to back palate all at the same time...I'm so impressed. It lingers for minutes, but not astringently...just sweet, balanced pineapple and tropical fruit with a huge dose of sugar.

Age it or not, this beer is one in a million. Odd how the nose doesn't stand out...but it absolutely melts in your mouth. World class - and another pioneering brew from Sam and the good folks at DFH.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Best way to describe this beer is the ultimate hop syrup. The mouth feel is maple syrup. Color is brown. Smell is floral with sweet malt undertones. Not as great a smell as the 90 minute. Palate is sweet yet hoppy. For the 20%, drink it slow. For the $20, drink it sparingly. A crazy IPA meant to be drank only on occasions.

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark orange with a thin lacing with a decent size head. Smell is of alcohol. At first taste you get the hops and the citrus fruit but then you get hit with the over welming alcohol flavor. More of a barley wine to me then IPA. Very good beer all around with it hitting a Abv of 21% this year.

3.8/5  rDev -4%

Pours a dark deep copper/orange hue. Lots of head and lots of lacing. Simply looks super thick, sticky and syrupy. Piney, grassy, and grapefruity... all the hop culprits. Slight honey sweetness with an alcohol twinge. Basically a hug hop bomb followed by a HUGE alcohol burn. My tongue is immediately covered by the citrus hops. I'd like to thin we could handicap 20% beers but this thing is a sipper if ther ever was one! it took me 2.5 hrs to finish a 12oz'r

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

This beer was bottled on 10/5/09 and shared between two small vintage coca-cola glasses.
Appearance: Beer is light orange hue with a thin creamy lacing that lingers to the side of the glass.

Smell: Sweet, complex odor that I cannot describe, a hint of apricot.

Taste: Once again, sweetness and hops. Malts provide some balance; however, a slight bitterness kicks in towards the end.

Feel: The taste definitely holds on to the palate and to the back of my mouth way after my first sip.

Drink: Definitely a sipping beer and can definitely warm you up on cold days like this. High alcohol content that can kick your ass may be able to finish one but not more than that in one sitting. This beer has received a lot of hype in which I cannot completely jump on board with...not saying that I would not have another one, but I would slightly prefer the 90 min IPA. Nonetheless, a great beer to share or to hog if you want to get messed up!!!

4.67/5  rDev +17.9%

Had this On-Tap at O'Bannon's 11/11/11

A: Orange, with a small amount of head, hazy

S: so hoppy it almost burns, but in the most pleasant way possible.

T: sweet, hoppy, but not as bitter as you'd think. the flavor of the hops is incredible, with the booze very well masked.

M: definitely feel the booze. little syrupy, but not as bad as other 18% beers I've had (Tokyo*). Medium carbonation, but goes down smooth, then warms the stomach.

O: Loved this beer. very different from any other IIPA I've had. almost a class of its own, as the bitterness is much less, the hop flavor is much more present and not masked by bitterness, and of course that ever present sweetness.

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

bottle share with friend. poured into dogfish head snifter.

A:deep orange with about 1/2 finger head.

S: sweet with heavy alcohol notes.

T: Sweet up front with slight alcohol burn in the back. Not bitter at all which surprised be for being a IPA hopped for 2 hours. Gets sticky/cloying as you keep drinking it.

Good beer, but the taste is not what I expected.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Serving type: bottle dated 3/27/14

A - Golden/Ruby colored with little to no head. Gorgeous color

S - Booze, vanilla, caramel, dried fruit, and a hint of oak. There's no denying this beer's similarity to a barleywine.

T - A warm booziness follows a strong dried fruit note which is further followed by a keen lingering bitterness and alcohol burn. This—and the warming buzziness that comes along with it—is the only hint at just how strong this beer is. It's incredibly well balanced.

M - Thick and lingering. Think of half and half vs. non fat milk

O - An extraordinary beer from our friends at Dogfish. It really is remarkable just how much care and passion goes into this little bottle. Honestly, I would rate this in the top ten beers that I've ever had the pleasure of tasting and a world-class beer that truly stands on it's own. I'm still not sure if I'd call this an IPA or even a triple IPA. It's more of a cross between a double IPA and an american barley wine. I'm glad that I finally had the chance to try this fresh. I've been cellaring a couple of bottles for over a year. Looks like it's time for a vertical tasting!

1.5/5  rDev -62.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a cognac snifter. It looks hazy orange and its completely opaque.

It smells like nail polish remover that has been seasoned with off hops. It is just terrible. It smells like the orange Old English Wood Soap that I use to mop my floors. This could make paint fall off a shed.

The taste is like some terrible new hop-flavored black rum. I am used to my hop bombs being hop forward, and malts secondary. This is the opposite where the sweetness is front and center and the hops are fighting with it. There is nothing good about the taste of this beer. It tastes like if Admiral Nelson made a port or the type of liquor you use in baking.

The mouthfeel adds to the already less than ideal characteristics, making this beer one of my all time least favorites. I would sooner drink Natural Ice than drink this.

This beer is ambitious and that is all it is. I like Dogfish Head as a brewery, and I am really glad they are in Bloomington and Indiana on the whole, but this beer frankly is just awful with no redeeming characteristics. I ended up drain pouring it. I have had enough beers like Founders Devil Dancer that I can appreciate an ambitious attempt at making a one-of-a-kind beer, however, this beer is just too much. There is fine line between a pleasant beer, which rather than attacking the palate attempts to work with it, and a beer that fights your palate every step of the way. I wouldn't recommend this beer to my worst enemy.

1.93/5  rDev -51.3%

Appearence: Looks identical to the 90minute IPA, great color as orangy vibrance, the head is a wonderful yellow-tan. bubles streamy up glass and are medium in size. If the boil is 30 minutes longer that the 90 minute, how do they keep the color the same? Wouldn't the wort caramelize a bit more and make a different colored beer, even a little?
Aroma: Smells like porkfat or bad BBQ. I couldn't really get much hop character. There should be plenty of distinct hop aroma if it is truely dry hopped every day for a month, its not there. Perhaps the big malty character overwhelms the dryhopping process, reducing its efficiency.
Taste: Holy cow this is big. Classic "imperial" sweetness. The intense maltiness is overpowering and now terrible enjoyable. tanginess presumably from the high ABV, bites at the tongue, making it difficult to taste teh complex malt body. The long hop schedule presents itself as being very sweet/flavorful, with little bitterness. As with the 90minute I expected to be blown away.
Mouthfeel: very milk like texture. Caramel candy like stickiness on the palate.

Overall: It is amazing how sweet the hop flavor is, and the bitterness from teh hopping is just not there. I don't quit understand how this beer is really an IPA without the bitterness. Maybe just a really big hop flavored Pale ale. This is unique and novel, but its not good to drink. I am impressed by the technique and the truly unique character to this beer, it iw well done in the strangeness catagory.
However, just because its unique doesn't make it good or anymore drinkable.

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks Capones!

5oz. snifter from draft

A: hazy amber with a slight head - don't recall any lacing

S: crazy caramel bananas foster thing going on here. layers of sweet malts and esters, but not much in the way of hops

T: caramel, creme brulee, sugar, candy, just keeps going - this stuff is sweet - and the alc is obvious, but not overpowering.

M: thick and syrupy with a hint of carb.

D: amazing to taste - it's the port of the beer world. If you approach it like you would a port, it's very drinkable, but it's not to swill during the Giants game.

So the mystery question to all fellow brewers - how the heck do they get it down to 1.020 and maintain that sweetness?

3.67/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz bottle on Dec. 31, '06.

Pours a golden-brown color. Off-white head. Smells very sweet, malt, caramel, perhaps some berries or cherries. Very light in the mouth (lighter than you'd think). Very sweet taste, much like the aroma. Finishes smooth with relatively no hops in comparison to what I expected, or to what i feel the beer needs for balance.

Too sweet, but the alcohol is amazingly well masked. I thought it would be a chore to drink, but it's light and refreshing.

3.36/5  rDev -15.2%

Appearance: It glows in my glass, light red minimal carbonation and no head, fairly clear.

Smell: Alcohol, oranges, paint?

Taste: Super sweet off the bat. I was expecting the sourest, hoppy trip ever.Not bad.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and chewy, almost syrupy.

Drinkability: I should have mentioned, this is 07's. In my opinion a little better than 06. It goes down VERY slow. A good beer.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a nice hazy orange with at least a two finger foamy head. Good retention and some stickiness.

Smell hits you with spicy citrus notes. The smell of alcohol is somewhat present too.

Taste is very sweet and syrupy. Hops aren't really that bitey, but are there for sure. Really a smooth beer all the way down. Never harsh at all. Maybe this bottle has been sitting around for awhile and tamed a bit.

Drinkability is very good when your just drinking one every once in awhile, but considering the alcohol it packs I can't give it a higher score. Too bad, because this is a really good brew that I would have loved to be able to drink one after the other. I guess 90 minute will have to do. ( :

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

I just sampled a bottle the other day from 2004

I found it for 9 bucks...score

A: nothing special

Smell: I knew I was in for a strong beer...lots of alcohol tinged with tangerine...

Taste....wow....it blew me away....super mellowed hop character....with lots of tangerine notes

mouth feel...great thick and viscous

Drinkability....I liked it....as a special occasion beer....too strong for everyday drinking...but I enjoyed it nonetheless

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery